Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I drove out to DCH Old Bridge and Autosport yesterday. Autosport gave me a lower price for the car, but also for my trade. The price for the car was actually the first one that came from the internet query, I did not feel the need to negotiate on the car - only on the trade & accessories.

Planet was giving me the "come on in" to complete the deal even though it was a guaranteed price from zag.com. I am not getting good vibes from them so they are out of the running.

Piazza Philadelphia gave me a good price after I emailed them my offer from Autosport, but I was in N. NJ yesterday and it was not worth the drive out of the way for me.

By the end of the day DCH and Autosport were only $270 apart - but I felt more comfortable with my salesman at Autosport. I am going to see if Autosport can find $200 dollars somewhere in the deal - but I am also willing to pay it for the piece of mind that I am not being "sold".

Hope this is helpful. Keep us posted!
  • binch017binch017 Member Posts: 2
    Look into Eskridge Honda in Oklahoma City. That's just a small drive up I-35 from you. They quoted me a very aggressive price on an EX-L W/RES
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    How would anybody not living in California know? I have no idea what OTD in CA means...because that includes sales taxes and other fees that vary by state.

The only way for these forums to be useful is for people to post the vehicle sales prices that aren't variable by state--so...vehicle cost, destination, and doc fees.

Everything else the dealer can't control, so it is pointless to compare.

Sorry to sound grumpy, but I love these forums and I think they are very helpful to know what is happening out there--so I get frustrated when I can't really tell!
  • boulder_bumboulder_bum Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2010
    @mikesc - I'm in Colorado, but visiting Dallas over Thanksgiving. I called a Dallas dealer to see if they could beat local prices (which I thought were a little high) and he shocked me by quoting a price a few hundred over MSRP! You Texans really are getting screwed right now.

If you can wait a few months for the Odyssey newness to wear off, I'm sure prices will come down, but the 2011 Sienna is a pretty outstanding minivan. We were actually looking at one and like the ergonomics, inch of extra headroom, dual view entertainment and the Smart Key System that unlocks itself when you touch the door handle, but we ended up backing out at the last minute when we learned how bad the child anchor placements were. There are two in the second row but only ONE in third, and it's in the middle of two seats!!! We have three kids in car seats that we wanted them all in the back row, so the Odyssey ended up winning out for us.
  • grdanesgrdanes Member Posts: 4
    paid 37.5k otd The online guy was absolutely brilliant......did 99.9 of the deal over the phone,,,,this after dealing with many other dealerships who wanted me to come in and do circus tricks for them before they would tell me how much a car would cost.
    dealer is princeton honda
  • evilkarrevilkarr Member Posts: 7
    I'm a little confuse at the following numbers. I check on truecar.com for the EX-L and it list the Dealer Cost as $31,641 and Factory invoice as $32,330. What's the difference? Which number should I use as the "invoice" price to base my purchase on?

Are dealers still making profit in holdback and other incentives if they sell at the factory invoice price of 32,330? I'm wondering because I don't want to get fixated on a price point of 35K OTD which the dealer can only get to at a lost. Thanks.
  • agrawalagrawal Member Posts: 49
    Here is what I did to find elite of my color. Go to honda website and locate dealers in your area then go to each dealers website to see if they have in stock. If it shows there then call the dealers internet dept. and ask if they have available and then offer your price if they have it available. It took me less then half hour to locate and buy the car on invoice +150.
    Truecar has wrong information. factory invoice with destinations comes out to be 31985 for 2011 EX-L. True car adds some advertising fee as factory invoice infact that is the fee they charge to dealer for advertising in their website. The same cost they add up in actual dealer cost. In this case dealer cost after holdback should be 31361 not 31641.
  • mamatmamat Member Posts: 1
    In regards to DC area dealers, we just purchased a 2011 EX-L with Navigation in Smoky Topaz today from Pohanka Honda in Fredricksburg, VA. This was after soliciting quotes from a numerous dealers within a couple of hours drive from DC. I know you are looking for a Touring model but wanted to let you know that in general dealing with Pohanka was fairly simple. We settled on this dealer because they were the first ones provide a good quote up front. All other dealers in MD and VA wanted us to bring the lowest quote from other dealers. I appreciated that they sent a good quote based upon an initial request to USAA auto circle.

According to the sticker the MSRP for EX-L with Navigation was $36,450
    plus $780.00 freight. Total vehicle price per sticker was $37,230.

Our price:

Car price: $33,427
    delivery: 390 (we split the 780 with them.... long story)
    processing fee 399
    tax 1,026.48
    filing fee 10.00
    Licensing 57.75

Total OTD 35,310

We thought this was a decent price as compared with what other dealers. The closest quote to this was $34,407 base plus all other fees.

Note: We decided to forego a touring as my husband did not want the DVD for the kids for all trips in the car and we thought we could buy a couple I-pads cheaper than the DVD system.

Good Luck with your purchase.
    So if I understand the numbers correctly, if the the dealer sold the car for say 31,700, they're still making a small profit of 339 (31700-31361) correct?
  • mikeintheocmikeintheoc Member Posts: 23
    Discussed shipping a car out to Orange County, CA with the internet folks at Weymouth honda. The deal is real, but they're ordering out until january with people placing deposits down. They told me several out of state people have inquired, but no takers from out of state yet. Thinking hard about it, since this dealership is refreshingly honest and ready to deal.

Touring elite: 38,923.42
    Doc fee: 239.00
    Total out of Weymouth: 39162.42

Shipping to LA: 900-1500 depending on enclosed vs. regular shipping

Orange County, CA TTL:$3940
    ***From the vehicle registration fee calculator at dmv.ca.org***
    Transaction Date: November 11, 2010
    Type of Calculation: Nonresident Vehicle Registration
    Type of Vehicle: Automobile
    Model Year: 2011
    Motive Power: Gas
    First Operated in CA: January 10, 2011
    Acquired/Purchase Date: January 03, 2011
    Acquired From: Out of State Dealer
    Purchase Price: $38,923.00
    Use/Sales Tax Credit: $0.00
    County: Orange
    Zip Code:
    Current Registration: 31.00
    Current California Highway Patrol: 23.00
    Current Vehicle License Fee: 447.00
    Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
    Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
    Current Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
    Current Abandoned Vehicle Fee: 1.00
    Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
    Current South Coast Air Basin: 1.00
    Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: 3.00
    Use/Sales Tax: 3,406.00
    Non-Resident Original Service Fee: 18.00
    Reflectorized License Plate Fee: 1.00
    Total Registration Fees: $534.00
    Total Use/Sales Tax (includes credit paid to another state): $3,406.00
    Grand Total Registration Fees: $3,940.00

Total from Weymouth to the OC: $44602.42 (including the expensive shipping option)

What does everyone think? Do you think a better deal could be had before mid December in LA or OC?
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    that price is great, congrats. I think you would see this price in CA by April-May next year.
    Correct + if they sold enough in number for that particular period they may qualify to get another volume incentive from honda may be 250 per vehicle.
  • newpilot1newpilot1 Member Posts: 9
    On a 2011 Odyssey EX-L with RES MSRP $36,830, here are the offers received so far in OH. I'm quite amazed at the differences. These are all quoted before taxes and fees and include destination.

$34,031 $2799 off MSRP
    $33,931 $2899 off MSRP
    $34,606 $2224 off MSRP
    $34,431 $2399 off MSRP
    $36,330 $500 off MSRP
    $35,030 $1800 off MSRP
    $33,731 $3099 off MSRP
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    Just picked up a 2011 Black EX-L RES last night from Schlossman's in Milwaukee.

34,450: Vehicle price (Destination Included)
    555: Roof rails + cross bars
    114: Cargo mat
    125: Doc fees
    +TTL

The negotiations were pleasant with them. The salesman we worked with was young and laid back and hasn't developed his hard sell tactics yet (nice for us). They had a $350 dealer add pin stripe package on it they didn't want to give away so I offered $150 for that which they agreed to. They wouldn't budge on the accessories, but I was happy with the car price so I was ok paying a bit more than I knew I could get somewhere else.

The financing guy was slimy though. Kept trying to hard sell me on every add on, especially on the warranty. I had to tell him no 4 times before he gave up. I also told him I had 3.12% available from Bank of America. He came back and said "Here you go, I got you 3.49%!" and then was amazed that I wanted to wait to talk to the bank the next day to get the 3.12. He literally said to me "You aren't buying a house". Hey, what's $250 when it isn't your money right? Finally he finally came back with 3.14, which I accepted.

We had been shopping the Odyssey for a month and half now. It took us forever to find a smoky topaz in the area to see as we initially thought we might want that color. They are not making many yet and they go quickly when they do show up. Turned out it we felt it was a bit too brown in person for our tastes, but we were glad to have seen it.

All in all a good experience with the annoyance of the financing guy asside. Wife and kids love the van so far.
  • bogohobogoho Member Posts: 24
    Send the lowest quote to all the others, and remind them that you are asking for the most competitive bid regardless if it is above or below your best bid.

However, be prepared to receive back lectures on how to/not to buy vehicles.
  • jackatelukemoljackatelukemol Member Posts: 3
    received a price of 33250 in ny.-is that a good deal?that price does not include taxes doc etc.
  • lonestarmomlonestarmom Member Posts: 20
    We are inerested in buying a 2011 EX, and have gotten two quotes so far. The first one is for $500 off MSRP (if we go through the the Costo buying program). The second quote is from the dealer that we have purchased our last two Hondas from. They are offering us $800 off MSRP. For some reason I am having a difficult time getting excited about these offers. Has anyone else out there in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area been given a better offer than these?
  • runnur6913runnur6913 Member Posts: 16
    THE LOWEST QUOTE I GOT 2011 Odyssey EX-L IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IS
    - $34,480 includes Destination.
    THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE TTL.
    THIS IS FROM NORM REEVES HONDA SUPERSTORE, DID ANYONE FROM CALI HAVE A BETTER DEAL??? THIS IS STILL TOO MUCH!!!
    I NEED A VAN PRETTY SOON, MOST DEALER WOULD NOT BUDGE.

THANKS
    That is a really good deal, here in souther cali I got a quote for $34,480 that's not including TTL. They will not budge. I think this is a Southern Cal thing.
    those Dallas and south CA dealers are still quoting high price compare to other states are due to us, the buyers, there are still naivee people willing to pay closed to MSRP and ruin market for the average income people like us. Do you think if Weymouth would quote that low price if there are many people in MA willing to buy MSRP? I don't think so.
    The only way for us to get discount is wait, time is the factor that dealers fear the most, so wait people.
  • lonestarmomlonestarmom Member Posts: 20
    We would be willing to wait except that our 2000 Odyssey with 294K is just starting to give us some trouble. I do a tremendous amount of long distance driving on a weekly basis with my children and I need a reliable vehicle. I do agree with you that waiting it out is the thing to do. We'll see how long we can do so.
    All $40000 for the touring.
    MSRP still for the touring elite.

Yikes...maybe after Thanksgiving?
  • bogohobogoho Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2010
    I did not have good experience with Schlossman. Their initial quoted price was $500 more than lowest Milwaukee quotes, and $1,200 more than my final purchase price elsewhere. The salesperson over email and phone kept questioning my seriousness and approach in buying a vehicle, and refused to talk about the price over the phone. I was frustrated by the communication, and couldn't imagine what it'd be like if I was actually at the dealership.

Called Gurnee Rosen in the afternoon, agreed on the price quickly, drop in by 5pm and got everything done by 7pm.
    runnur, I'm not sure where you're located but these guys gave me the best quote so far. Try Juan Guzman at Honda of the Desert in Cathedral City (35871 OTD) and Ken Haines at Penske Honda of Ontario (36433 OTD) although you might be able to negotiation it down so more. They seem willing to deal.
  • binch017binch017 Member Posts: 2
    Recently finalized on a 2011 Touring at Eskridge Honda of Oklahoma City. All of the negotiations were through email and I highly recommend that approach.
    This dealership claims that they will beat any other dealers price and they were able to do that for us. Below is the detail on our Touring deal.

MSRP (Including Dest) - $41,535
    Invoice (Including Dest) - $37,683
    Our Price (Out The Door) - $37,700 plus free tint, not including TTL
  • sgouveiasgouveia Member Posts: 3
    Purchased Polished Metal Touring Elite 2 weeks ago. Very limited stock in Northern California. Drove an hour away to get this vehicle, but worth the drive as we are very happy with it. Purchase was made through calls and online speaking with the Internet Dept. Couldn't wait until there was more in stock and when delears were more willing to come down in price.
    Vehicle $41329.00
    Prep Fee $55.00
    CA Tax $3664.41
    DMV/Title/Tire $577.75
    Total OTD: $45626.16
    This also included roof rails, cargo protector, and lug nuts.
    Hope this helps someone with their purchase.
  • dipperdipper Member Posts: 4
    Congrads. Good for you.

Which dealer did you get this deal from?

Most Bay Area dealers just are not dealing at all. They do not have Touring or Elite at all. And only a few hundreds off MSRP for the others.
  • sgouveiasgouveia Member Posts: 3
    Dealer was Stockton Honda.
    I'm located in los Angeles, I will give juan a call, looking to spend no more than 35k. Thanks for the info., by the way did you end up buying?
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    I see some people posting that a dealer has quoted this or that and it seems high. Well, you have to expect that their first offer is going to be high because they want all of your money and they assume you are dying to have their van. Once they realize you are serious, and if you let them know you have a lower offer even from a distant dealer, they are likely to quickly come down. Also, if you let them know you plan to buy soon, they might even come down more. I just finished this process and bought an EX for about $800 over invoice. One dealer where I did not buy dropped his offer $2000 once he learned that I was shopping around and had a better offer. Also, if you have a low offer from a distance dealer and go to see what the local dealer will sell you a van for, take your email offer with you. That will let them know you are serious and they will try to beat it. Again, just keep asking for a better price. They will take all of your money if you are willing to pay it. Good luck.
  • tijoritijori Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the details. I guess, on EX and LX models DC area dealers are ready to negotiate but not on Touring or Elite - because they have hardly 1 or 2 in stock. I am willing to wait a couple of months and pay $2k less.
  • clermontflclermontfl Member Posts: 108
    Also, while you are at the dealership, get on your cell phone and call your friend, or family member--hell , call Afghanistan and talk to a Camel.

Pretend the other person on the other end of the line is a car dealer as well, and Yell things out such as "Oh Wow, you are going to give me how much for my used car!!"

or things like, so you say--"You are willing to come $2,000 under your Invoice..!!!"

and things such as "Wow, Life-time oil changes....!!"

Make things up just to make the salesman there at that dealer turn their heads, Lie to them just as much as they lie to you, it's a game...and Remember, the 1st one to speak loses the negotiating game. Name your price (within reason of course) and then shut-up. They'll say, "Well you are taking Food from my families mouth" then you say, "I'll invite you over to eat dinner with mine..!!!!"

Good luck buying Honda Odyssey's out there,,,,POWER to the People...!!! ;)
  • tshn95tshn95 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I live in Va. so I will be paying 3% sales tax.

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite Automatic Transmission - MSRP is $44,030.00
    $38,143.42 Sale Price
    +$780.00 Destination Charge
    +$239.00 Documentation Fee (lowest of any dealer in New England)
    $39,162.42 Total Price(no hidden charges)

$500 - 600 estimate for shipping from Ma. - Va.

$1,144.29 Va sales tax approx.
    100.00 Title, Registration & Plates (DMV shows 45 to 100)

41,006.71 OTD

This was quick and painless. The only downside I have to wait until Jan. for the Odyssey (no problem). Weymouth was by far the best. Every dealer in the D.C area seems to be in love with inventory that will eventually be on the lot. Weymouth is pre-selling future stock. A sell today is worth 2 tomorrow
    Heading out today, will take your advice.

thanks,
    Good Luck, let us know what you found out...!!! :)
    Cerritos and Buene Park in southern CA just offered me $29,600 selling price for EX (about 800 above invoice, $2,100 under MSRP). I would wait for 1-2 months more and will buy at invoice or around $28,500 as Weymouth quoted me. There's no reason why CA dealer can not match what Weymouth's price, all Odys are coming from the same place.
  • ccone1ccone1 Member Posts: 7
    Did you have a trade in?

It seem many people that are getting good value did not specified trade-in or not so it difficult to judge the true value.

thanks

HUY
    Pulling the trigger tonight. Satisfied with the numbers:
    $39029.00 Selling Price

$ 766.00 Roof Rails/cross bars

$ 55.00 Doc. Fee

$ 3885.38 Sales Tax

$ 581.75 Lic/Registration Fees

$44,317.13 Total (out the Door)

Expensive I know, but decent for the SoCal offerings. I got offered ***best deal*** for a 2010 Touring $36300 at multiple locations. Nobody would go to $34000 at this time. Probably better to try in late November after Thanksgiving, but my lease is up soon. Thanks for everyone's help.
  • kmich71kmich71 Member Posts: 5
    I live in the Chicago area and am in the market for a 2011 Honda Odyssey. I'm considering the following at these price points:
    2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/ NAV = $34,000 + TTL
    2011 Honda Odyssey Touring = $38,000 + TTL

Any feedback on these prices based on what you are seeing / paying in Chicago or the midwest (most of the dialog here seems to be on the east and west coast)?

These priced were obtained from Sam's club / Costco auto buying club.

Also can anyone explain the Smoky Topaz Metallic color?

We are trying to decide between the Smoky Topaz (looks like a deep, dark gray) and a Polished Metal Metallic (looks like a medium,blue/gray), but it is hard to tell from looking online and can't seem to find one in stock locally.

Thanks!
    we test drove a smokey topaz with truffel interior.its basically dark brown with a chocolate interior.i liked it at first but imo it may get old fast.the polished gray with gray interior may be lighter but it really looks classy.i wish they would have offered a black interior.
    what was the price at autosport
    Not yet. Plan to head out tomorrow and finalize a deal for EX-L 35600 OTD. That's basically at invoice I believe. I think it's gonna be really hard to get 35K OTD within this month. That was my goal also, but I believe they would have to sell it below invoice at this point to reach that number for southern cali with 8.75% sales tax. I shopped around and no one has been able to beat that number currently. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck to you too.
    I did have a trade, though my initial plan was just getting the cash price for the new one. They first offered $4k for my trade, then came up to $6.5k to do the deal. They gave me more than some places that offer to buy cars, which is unusual, but I think they realized how much used Odysseys are bringing, so they could make money on that deal if there was not enough in selling me the new one. The deal went something like this:

I could buy a new EX at sticker plus their $1800 in ridiculous add ons, less $4k for our van, plus TT&L, so almost $31k out the door, plus they get my van.

I said are you serious, I can buy one at two dealers right now for that price without the trade in. I guess I was really looking like I was born the night before.

Eventually, we got to the new van for $24.5k out the door with the trade in. I was pleased, but it was a painful process. They had to get the new one from another dealer, and I have concerns about that process, too.
    Autosport NJ, touring elite

$39,907
    780 dest
    259 doc
    20% off accessories

Now they are trying to find one for me.. Still a verbal / email agreement.
    20% off their accessory price is pretty good, but if it is 20% off their installed price, not good. Some dealers charge $350 for splash guards installed, so 20% only gets it down to $280, which means you are paying them $200 to install them. The dealers sell the guards for $72 over the counter, but you can buy them (for $52) and other parts online if you can do the install yourself. If you do not know if you can install something, you can check by reading the instructions which are available online where you would order the parts, like Handa Honda or Bernardi Honda. Good luck.
  • danielcar2danielcar2 Member Posts: 8
    MikeintheOC,
    Congrats on your purchase! Where did you end up buying from?
    I am also in SoCal...
    Thanks!
    I think the only thing I am going for the roof rails and cross bars, $398 installed. Anything else is probably easy to install at home or can be done afterwards.
    Hello All Readers,

How many of you have actually used your roof rails during the time you owned your old van/car/suv's?
  • kwarnoldkwarnold Member Posts: 41
    Never! Wouldn't miss them personally. I'm sure others use them, but that's my experience.