Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

gas fumes

janegjaneg Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Nissan
I recently purchased a 95 Quest with 66,000 miles. After driving around on a day with temperatures in the mid 80's I noticed a very strong gas odor after pulling into the garage. I loosened the gas cap and a stream of pressurized air continued for 8-10 seconds. This seemed like an excessive amount of pressurized air in the gas tank. Any idea why this occurred?

Comments

• blarg1blarg1 Member Posts: 59
    could be a blocked vent in the gas cap. some mechanics have a gas vap vent diagnostic tool, call around and ask if they can perform that type of test.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, this is not air coming out but vacuum sucking air inwards.
  • garthmangarthman Member Posts: 42
    that is normal for suction when removing that gas cap. All my cars to that if I remove the cap right after I park the car.
    Try removing the cap a few hours later and see if it still does that.
    Any fumes inside the car would need a call to Nissan direct if the dealer cant assist. That is a safety issue and they will move on it fast if you have a valid issue. (as long as you are not over filling your tank or spilling fuel)
This discussion has been closed.