Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Accessories and Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
What accessories and/or modifications have you added to your Trailblazer?

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I've thus far added a K&N filter in place of the stock one, the Bug Gaurd on the Hood, and rain shields for the windows.

Pictures of all but the air filter at

http://www.iwaynet.net/~tlauro/go-cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html

I'm currently retro fitting a cold air intake made from the stock filter box. Pics soon.

tim

02 LTZ, Black and fully loaded

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    for those intersted and who couldn't connect to the above link ....http://www.timlauro.com
  • jack51pinejack51pine Member Posts: 18
    What is your e-mail address?
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    For those who aren't already aware, there's multiple forums here for Envoy/TB/Bravada owners. It appears that this Parts/Accessories Forum does not have as many entries as the Envoy Parts/Accessories, so if you're looking for something that's not shown here, take a peek at one of the other boards listed. There are parts that are applicable for all three triplets on the Envoy Parts/Accessories board -- perhaps the HOSTS should consider making them all into a single site, like the main My 2002.... board.

Links for all vehicles provided below: (remove the space in the url-- can't post words greater than 115 chars here)

Envoys:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/ WebX?14@@.ef00533

Trailblazers:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/ WebX?13@@.ef00521

Bravadas:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/ WebX?13@@.ef00528
  • dpacasladpacasla Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 2002 TrailBlazer LS about a month ago. I'd like to add to my TB a deluxe overhead console (typically found on the LT and LTZ models). Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, I'd like to learn what it will take to do this work myself. Thanks!
  • cakhiiicakhiii Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get running boards for 2002 TB LS? Thanks
  • mgriff27mgriff27 Member Posts: 10
    Go onto Yahoo.com and type in SUV Accessories. You will find a huge selection of places where you can get running boards and so much more.

Have fun!!
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    So far, I have a MagnaFlow 3" exhaust system, K&N air filter, Airaid throttle body spacer, a Lund wind deflector, Deflecta bug shield, Vent Visors, upped the tire size to 31's, and the best add on of all... Class 3 heavy duty trailer ball.. =) (nice chrome really stops those tailgaters.) BTW dont go 4x4ing w/ it, not high enough... =oP future mods include GoRhino Push bars, 1.75" laser cut spacers for a lift in front, full sound system, and another set of running boards.
  • dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    what size rims and tires do you have now? I'm interested in changing my tire size too but I'm worried about how big I can go. Also, could you tell me more about these lifters for the front end as I'm looking into that as well. Any info would be appreciated.
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    Anyone taken apart the headlights to add Xenon? Just wondering if you know how to take them apart. Looks to be all enclosed, not too easy to get at.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    there are large rubber caps on the back of the lamp housings that can be removed to access the lamps themselves.
    I saw the rubber caps, werent sure if they are removable or not. Ill have to take another look and take them off. Thanks for the advise.
  • tchdtchd Member Posts: 1
    i've already installed new bulbs in my 2002 trailblazer.first remove grill.it snaps out of place.first time it might be a little hard to do.then on the top of each headlight on the corners there is a lever which must be lifted up it's very tough the first time.then disconnect the lower outside plug that goes to the marker lights.you will be able to swing your headlight out a little.then remove your rubber backing that covers the bulbs.the bulbs turn out and turn back in. good luck!!
    right now, i have the stock 16" alloys, and I have the Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16 tires. you can also put 265/70/16's on it, but cant go any bigget w/out about a 2" wheel spacer or offset rims(highly unlikely to find in 6x5 bolt pattern) on the front, you have issues because of the camber setpoint. the spacers were quoted to me by a laser machining shop for stainless steel. they would charge me about 200 to set up the dimensions, programming, etc for the spacers, and probably about 75-100 ea for the spacers to get cut. trying to talk the local dealer into ordering multiple sets to reduce the price... =P but any machining shop should be able to do it, just make sure that there is a lip to hold the spring on like the shock. The best guesstimate for the spacing a concensus of 3 different off road shops. one said 1.25, 1.5, and 1.375 spacing. i took the larger to preserve the driveline angles, brake lines, etc. with the angle, it should raise the front about 1.75-2.00 inches. Should level the truck front to back. Theoretically, it may increase the way the vehicle handles, making it less front heavy and transferring some weight to the rear...
    So far the setup you have including the spacer is exactly what I'm looking to do, But since this being a new car I'm a little spooked about trying something unproven. I know I'm bein paranoid. Let me know how everything goes on the suspension mod and maybe I can get my chicken self to try the same thing. Thanx for the info, very helpful :-D
  • vgainesvgaines Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking into getting an upgrade to my sound system. Since the Bose wasn't in the model that I picked up, I decided to give it a trial and see what happened. Didn't like the sound, it was a bit muffled to me, so I'm going to get an upgrade at a local shop this week.
    good luck vgaines. As far as i know, the wiring harness is not available yet, and will not be for some time. It is a relocation kit for the OE stereo because the databus interface wire that runs through the connector is very tempermental. apparently, your onstar, and airbags go through your stereo connections. I would only go to a reputable shop for this. And ensure they use the correct wiring set-up. good luck!
  • sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    I hope I am in the right place! It sounds like I might add and learn here!

Long Story!
    I had an aftermarket stereo system installed in my 2002 Trailblazer. At the time, the installing company told me that the vehicle would not "operate properly" with the factory stereo removed, so they charged me $85 for a wire harness so they could re-locate the factory stereo in the back cargo area, then installed the aftermarket stereo in the dash. I did loose things like door chimes and Onstar capability (which I never wanted anyway), since these things come through the factory sound system.
    Everything was fine, until somebody broke in and yanked the aftermarket unit out of the dash. In the process, they unhooked all of the wiring, so the factory unit was no longer "in the circuit". The vehicle appears to be working totally fine. I am driving it around with no stereo and so far I can't find anything that is not working. I tested the factory alarm, it works, the airbag light is not lit, etc. When I went back for an estimate, I showed the aftermarket installer that everything still worked, and he said that "the information they had said it shouldn't". I asked if they had some document so I could understand, but they didn't have anything. They quoted a new $85 harness for the repair install, but I don't really feel like paying it again if it is not needed. Anybody know the truth? The dealer doesn't know anything and didn't seem very interested in researching it for me. If anyone has info, please let me know!
    I personally think it is irresponsible for a manufacturer to link critical security and safety systems through a stereo system, knowing how many do-it-yourselfers install aftermarket stereos. It seems like a way to force you to buy their upgraded stereo! Isn't Microsoft in court right now for doing something like that?
  • rem038rem038 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone found a replacement shock for the 2002 trailblazer? my 2 wd/LT rocks and rolls down the highway.
    rem038, no, havent found any new replacements yet. The main reason that I can find is that GM hasnt released the specs or no one has finished r&d on them yet. Have heard a rumor that all Bilstein shocks(OE) can be revalved to custom specs. I plan to look into this, but currently can't find anyone who does this yet. If you want to stiffen the ride a little, I have had a shop recommend putting "air bags" inside the rear coils to stiffen them up, but without new shocks, it probably will make the ride much more bouncy because the shocks will still be weak(IMO) and the springs will be stiff. hope this helps some, if i do find some, i will post it.
  • vgainesvgaines Member Posts: 5
    I think I'll just stick with what I have. It gives me a pretty decent sound, so until I am just THAT unsatisfied with it, it's "factory" for me.

It does sound muffled, at times, but I think I had the bass turned up a little too high, and it drowned out the treble.

I wonder what kind of speakers are installed?

Think I could just have new speakers installed without the extras?
    I just bot my 02 TB back from aftermarket stereo installation. It turns out it did not require relocation of the factory unit, so it was a simple swap of the head unit. The only complication is that the factory unit does not power up with ignition, so you have to run an ignition wire up there to power it up.

I tried using the factory head unit with aftermarket speakers. The sound was much improved. The concern is that the factory speakers are high impedance-usually 16 ohm. Aftermarket speakers are usually 4 ohm. A 4 ohm speaker will draw a lot more current from the amp than the 16 ohm. I was trying this combination with the factory radio not in the dash and it got very hot during about 10 minutes of sustained listening-almost too hot to touch the box. Of course, I have no way of knowing how hot it would be with factory speakers.
  • mjdartmjdart Member Posts: 11
    I would like to add fog lights to My Trailblazer LS. The other two TB models have them stock so I would hope GM would have a dealer installed accessory kit for this upgrade. Is there one? Has anybody here done it? How much? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, I have priced the kit from GM. The OE wiring harness is ~$600 the OE fog lights are ~150ea and the OE switch fascia is is ~$50 w/ new switch. Not exactly worth it considering still need labor for install. Better going with PIAA or other fog light kits. Hope this helps.
  • mjdartmjdart Member Posts: 11
    tblazer503, $1000 for a pair of fog lights! Do they actually sell any?
    probably not, mainly for accident replacement I would imagine. Just as an FYI, that was also with a 20% "preferred customer" discount(whatever that means) Personally, I am bearing with my 07/01 build LS for now, and later, plan to upgrade to a LT or even Envoy or Denali(dreaming) I figured by 4th qtr '04 I will trade in and hopefully all the bugs will be worked out(engine, computer, and maybe even a normally mounted seatbelt) Just my plan, so far my truck has been in for 3 Recalls, so I don't plan to keep it past the warranty. =o) just my $.02 hope this helps
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I also want the fogs for my LS for driving at night in rain and snow but have seen some after markets in the areas where they go for the LT and LTZ. Not impressed by having to cut out the grills. Has anyone put aftermarket fog lights on in the gaps on either side of the license plate holder in the front bumper? Would this restrict air flow or would the wires get too hot by the radiator?
    Just talked to the guy today about a TB he did a lift on. He has a 3 inch body lift fabricated from a full size Blazer kit. The suspension is modified using the original front struts. he modified the mounting points. He says if I was interested all I have to do is send him a set of factory struts and He'll do the fabricating and send em back to me for around $300.00. He said, 3inch is the limit for raising the front end . Anything more then that would be an invitation for binding problems. Oh, and its on a 4WD. If anyones interested call John Wargo at Customshop (815)796-2772. He's a pretty nice guy too so dont hesitate to ask any questions.
    WWW.OEMRIMS.COM

If your looking to get stock chrome rims, check this site out. I talked to them and Im in the process of getting them for the wifes 02 Altima. I was told you can order them for the Trailblazer. The cost is apporx $500-600, that includes shipping (You pay both ways $70 each way) and about $400 for the rims. They are triple plated chrome. Ill send a message on Monday after I recieve the ones for the Altima and let you know what the quality is like. Anyway, just a guestion it your looking to add chromes and not pay too much.

FYI:
    You pay, they ship them to you, you exchange them for your stock rims and send the stocks back to them. They can get the 16" and 17".
  • phillylionphillylion Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a new Trailblazer. I've heard there are 3 different after-market Nav. systems available for the Trailblazer. Has anyone had any experience with them--one is Audiovox, one is from Alpine--can't remember the third?
  • cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    Has anyone done any modifications, dealer or not, that has improved gas mileage?
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Anyone know if there are any lift kits for these available? I am in the market possibly for a new 4X4, but want to make sure it is going to be decent offroad.
  • ktliu2ktliu2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if Onstar is required for the factory sunroof ? I keep getting different answers from Chevy.
  • ktliu2ktliu2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any experience with the optional V8 in the TB ? Is the gas mileage penalty just 1 mpg ? How long has this engine been around ?
  • genemo3genemo3 Member Posts: 11
    Anybody know of a hitch step or hitch bumper made specifically for the Trailblazer?

Thanks.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I don't think the V8 is out yet, it's going to be out mid year at best according to the GM website. Only available on the EXT versions. It's a new engine, so there's not much info on reliability, fuel mileage, etc.
    When I bought my TB, I had to get onstar to get the sunroof. When they tried to "build" it in the computer, everytime they added sunroof, onstar magically appeared also. I tried to argue out of paying for the onstar and all they could do was offer to have aftermarket sunroof installed. I didn't like that idea, so I ended up springing for the useless onstar. There are other things that came with onstar, such as the fancy mirror with compass and temp and the homelink garage buttons.
    Genemo3- Nope, but there are a few companies out that make hitch steps for the 2" reciever on the TB.
    Sunroof qustion- nope, its a "package" from GM. Best bet is to price one out on your own(so you knwo how much it costs) then have the dealer factor it into the lease... other option.. buy it from GM and pay 2g++ for a sunroof.
    5.3L V8.. IMO, it will probably get a little better than the Tahoe since it's the same engine, but weighs more(vehicle and engine) so I would guess maybe a 1-2MPG increase over the Tahoe.
  • tntblazertntblazer Member Posts: 8
    Below are my two posts over on the "big board". Thought I'd post them here to see if anyone can help me out:

I've seen several posts about the splash guards with running boards. I have an EXT with factory running boards. Ordered the front and rear from gmpartsdirect and sure enough, the fronts don't fit. The problem isn't necessarily the running boards, but the strip of plastic trim just below the doors seems to not be letting it fit up flush. Has anyone found a correct part number yet, or an alternative to the GM guards?

(2nd post):
    Well, I think I've figured out the problem. Went to local Chevy dealership and took one of the front splash guards with me. It fit fine on a "short" Trailblazer, even with the factory running boards. Evidently, it's the EXT's that have a wider plastic trim piece under the doors at the front wheel well. If anyone has an EXT with the GM front splash guards, please post the part numbers.

Thanks for any and all information!
  • rye78rye78 Member Posts: 16
    I own a Trailblazer LS and I was wondering if anyone knows how or where I can get color matched side mirrors. I have heard that the LTZ models came with them but I have yet to see them. If anyone has any ideas and/or and idea on what they might cost, I would appreciate it.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Anyone know of a lock gas cap accessory for the TB EXT.
    Got a Check Engine alert today and went to look at the gas cap. Sure enough it was just hanging by its teather.
    I gased up several days ago and really do not think I would not secure it for several clicks
    I believe its a Stant(??) Any auto store should be able to find one that fits. Got it in Sept. '01 after I bought my TB, and haven't had a problem with it since...(except for the dodo's that fill my gas since I live in OR and can't fill my own gas.. =o( how frustrating)
    I've been on a sort of "quest" to get these items and thought I'd let everyone know what I've found out. If you have a regular length TB, the part numbers for the splashguards are: FRONT, 12497608, REAR 12497609. For an EXT TB, FRONT, 12498652, REAR 12497609 (they're the same). And these will work for sure on an EXT with the factory running boards, contrary to what the GM Access. site says. I would say they will on the short ones, too, but can't say for sure since I have the EXT. BTW, all these part numbers have a white Chevy bow tie emblem painted on.

Hope this helps someone.
  • saleegsaleeg Member Posts: 2
    TO TNTBLAZER, DID YOU IN FACT INSTALL THE FRONT
    SPLASHGUARDS ON YOUR EXT AND DID YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE FRONT WHEELS. THANKS
  • watchdog2watchdog2 Member Posts: 21
    Greetings,

No you do not have to remove the front wheels. Just turn the wheels to the left or right as needed to install the front splashguards for the EXT.

Note: There are three screws for each side, two screws do not require additional drilling. Just loosen the large nut and place the splashguard into place. However, the third requires drilling and that is located at the bottom. Really, the first two screws are sufficient to hold the flaps.

You can finish the whole task in less than 30Minutes for both sides.

Good Luck
    Watchdog2 is correct. Fronts are a piece of cake.
    Rears have a hole on the inboard side that might be a little tricky. I've just done the one's on the wheel well and the bottom that I could get to. I've read on the board that you could possibly drill from behind and not have to remove the rear wheels, but I would think that would require some sort of pilot hole first. I haven't fooled with installing these yet. Maybe the next sunny day I'll give it a try.
  • 11b30b411b30b4 Member Posts: 1
    ok i have found several for 300.00 or more and the chevy one is 500.00. Im looking for a black one under 200.00, as well as rear light guards. Anyone here know of any trailblazer that may have been in accidents and have salvagable grill guards or want to sell the one that may have come on your truck?
  • genemo3genemo3 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know where I can find 2003 door edge chip guards made especially for a TB? They are for avoiding door paint chips while opening the doors next to a car in a parking lot. I had them for my 1998 Blazer but can't find the custom made ones for a TB. Thanks.
    Anyone cahnge out the fog lights for aftermarkets? Im looking for the parts number for them. I havent been able to find them, either in the manual or from the dealer. Supply stores dont even have a number for them. Any help would be appreciated.

Ice
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    We just purchased an 03 TB LT/EXT V8 fully loaded. I used this site prior to purchasing the truck and hopefully can provide some additional information. The dealers are offering $2000 cash back but we found one in Central NJ offering $3000. The sticker was 40,600 and we ended up paying 33,500!

We were thinking about a Tahoe but they were too pricey, very nice but too much for me. The same dealer that was offering 3000 back happened to have a V8 on the lot. I've just finished the 500 mile break in period and while babying the truck(not going over 3000 RPM's or 55 MPH) I was getting 15.4 miles to the gallon. Under normal driving conditions you can expect around 13 or 14, I hope!

Any questions? I love talking about my new truck!
This discussion has been closed.