Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner vs Toyota Highlander

2»

Comments

• koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    The 4-runner is way more comfortable for a 6' man than the HL. The HL drives better (less truck) but is definitly not comfortable. The problem is the steering wheel need to telescope and the arm rests need to be part of the center storage conmpartment.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Off-road, highway comfort, and wintertime adverse roadbed conditions. Oftentimes the latter need dictates, regretably, an off-road capable vehicle.
  • bmurraybmurray Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with Koho955 here. Drove the 4runner V6 sport numerous times b/c I was positive it was the car for me...I'm 6'1" and felt like I was back in my corolla in the 4runner. My 5'4" wife agreed. She said she felt like a sardine and could only imagine what it was like for me. My left shoulder also sat/rubbed against the left pillar. Headroom was lacking as well. Ended up buying the HL V6 and am extremely happy I did..MUCH more visibility and room up front.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    One is a light duty truck the other is a go anywhere Camry.

Flame suit on !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually, the Camry is being compared to something else. :-)

Toyota Camry vs Honda CR-V

Steve, Host
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Apparantly, the Camry is the universal comparison vehicle, LOL!

Did anybody compare it to an H2 yet?
  • twins2twins2 Member Posts: 16
    I looked at this extensively last year. Both are good cars. If price isn't a huge cosideration, go with the lexus 330 AWD. The mechanics are very similar but its just nicer and worth it if you spend time in your car. If price is a consideration, get the Highlander. The 4runner is on a truck platform and you'll notice the difference in the ride, and most people don't really do serious offroading. I got the lexus 330 and love it but passed it on to my folks since a minivan is in my future (had it been the highlander, i would be considered only a good son and not a great one).

I borrowed it in this recent snowstorm and it handled great. Love the navigation and rear camera as well. The prices should get better as people try to get the hybrid version. I would stick with the regular rx 330. Good luck
  • bazbaz Member Posts: 2
    Currently have a '03 Grand Cherokee LT Thinking about the Highlander V6 or 4Runner V8. Regularly tow trailer with 3000 pound capacity. Will I have any problem with the Highlander? Any thoughts on which to get?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone comparing?

Steve, Host
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Not sure your preference, but I can assure you there is no comparison between Highlander and 4Runner ... I just purchased a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) Shadow Mica/Stone Leather and I feel so good and safe in it and the power ohhh boy it is something else ... its towing capacity is 7000 lbs.

The driving experience is also so good ... I got the Michelin Cross Terrain tires which it helps significant.

Good luck... :)
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    The 4 runner is 1 tough you know what. A drunk driver hit us in the rear causing only minor damage. It totalled her car.

The cabin is as comfortable and luxurious as any I have seen.

Anyone that likes tough looking and tough acting vehicles should take a look at the 4 runner. Definitely a no nonsense attitude when developed.
  • a14014la14014l Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have problems with permium AM radio in '96 4Runner. It (signal) fades in and out in strong reception areas. very annoying.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Should the new RAV4 be added to the mix as well? Kinda makes the Highlander redundant doesn't it?
  • carwhorecarwhore Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to replace my 01'Pathfiner 4x4 that we rolled during a snow storm in Idaho in Nov. We are considering a HL and the FR...which one is gonna "stick" (given that the tires are the right ones for our climate)?
    I just moved here from the beach in CA, so I don't know anything but highway driving and rain at best. My husband has lived here in Sun Valley ID for seven years and never had an accident in his Outback, ever, during inclimate weather. We all did fine in the roll over, inc. the dog, but I don't want to take any chances. I'm leaning towards the HL because of the gas mileage and all the "girlie stuff" I can get on the Limited, but I'll concede, even with the extra cost, to the FR if it will stay put! :confuse: What 'cha all think???
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I know nothing of the FR other than it is more truck and the HL is more car. Here's food for thought though
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/traction2006.htm
  • themusethemuse Member Posts: 1
    Wow great aritcle, thanks. Just yesterday we test drove an '01 RX300. Really like it as well as the HL and FR we drove. I think our choices are now between the HL and the RX...Just need to continue with our "homework"... ;)
  • paulhuang1paulhuang1 Member Posts: 5
    We own both a 2006 HL V6 and a 2006 FR V8; we purchased the HL and FR two days apart. We have been comparing them for several months now.

My wife drives the HL and I drive the FR. Both SUV are very capable for winter driving, for ordinary snow and ice conditions (less than 2 feet or snow), HL is the better vehicle because it is smooth and it is a lot better on the gas. It is also fun to drive on the pavement.

FR drives like a truck, it is not as smooth as the HL and gas mileage for V8 is a big concern. The full time 4wd for V8 does not help the gas mileage. However, it is great in very deep snow and off road. I wish I can turn off the 4WD when I do not need it and get better gas mileage.

Personally, I like the ride of the HL. It is smooth and light. However, when it comes to deep snow and getting out of the snow bank if you got plowed in by the snowplow, the FR is very capable, the big tires really help when getting out of any snowy and icy situation. Also the slightly longer wheelbase keeps the vehicle on the road better when traveling on the icy highway.

We have not towed any thing yet, but FR probably will be one we use to tow big boats if we ever decide to tow something.

I am glad that we have both SUVs; however, if we can only have one, I would choose the HL over FR.
  • pch316pch316 Member Posts: 2
    I was in the same dilemna as you. I finally purchased a 2008 HL Limited in Blizzard Pearl. It drives unbelievable. Very smooth and quiet. Lots of room in the front and second row. The reason why we purchase HL because it had more cargo space and it came with a third row seat which I didn't really about. You will be paying more for the RX just for the "L". I like the HL being that it is much bigger thant the RX and has much more intereior space. I would get the HL instead of the RX. Good luck.
  • jlabriejlabrie Member Posts: 10
    I have to agree with paulhaung1's observations.

I had an '05 Highlander V6 AWD and traded it in for an '05 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD because I needed more towing capability. The Highlander is certainly more nimble and car-like, but I find that I prefer the 4Runner overall as it suits my needs better.

The 4Runner's cabin is roomy (I am 6'2") and amazingly quiet, even in comparison to the excellent environment of the Highlander. The 500 extra pounds carried by the 4Runner contribute to a refined and solid feeling, although it certainly rides like I truck in comparison to the Highlander, whose roadside manners mirror the Camry upon which it is based. It's no surprise that the 4Runner is a much better towing vehicle than the Highlander, but this does not come at the cost of fuel economy. The V6 4Runner operates in 2WD unless you select 4WD, something you can't do on the V8 version. This ability of the V6 4Runner to operate in 2WD has delivered gas mileage (19.46 mpg) that is very close to what I observed in the Highlander (20.52 mpg). So I gave up nothing in fuel economy for better towing and cargo space - sounds like a good deal to me.

They are both great cars. If you need more truck-like capabilities (capacity/towing, off-roading) then go for the 4Runner. If you want nimble handling along with great touring and AWD stability, then choose the Highlander.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :-)
  • brikfrankbrikfrank Member Posts: 1
    We are trying to decide on whether to buy a 2006 4Runner or a 2006 Highlander. Safety is my number one concern. After some research I am discovering that the Highlander received 5-star front end collision rating while the 4Runner is only received a 4-star rating...That being said, I find it hard to believe that if a Highlander and a 4Runner were to go toe-to-toe on a a collision that that Highlander would win. ??
    Can anyone out there offer any insight on this?
  • mikevpmikevp Member Posts: 10
    It's all about side air bags.

Search www.youtube.com for "4runner Crash test" and "highlander crash test"
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The 4Runner is more likely to roll over than the Highlander. If safety is your number one concern, buy a station wagon instead.
This discussion has been closed.