Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    exzave... We'll have to wait for real world data to pour in.

Owners & test drivers of G35 will hopefully post here what they're seeing on tach at 65 mph, 70 mph, 75, 80, and 85 mph. And the actual highway mileage they experience. While the purported EPA estimate has me wondering why it might only get 24 or 25 mpg on highway, thought some posters here had indicated decently low RPMs at highway speeds such that slightly higher real world highway fuel economy is achievable. (My 540i 6-speed turns over about 2,100 RPMs at 74 mph. She gets about 23.5-25.5 mpg on highway cruising. My wife's 323iA turns over about 2,600 RPMs at 74 mph and gets about 26-28 mpg on highway cruising.)
  • tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    Does anyone know the turning circle of the G35? Maximas and Infiniti I35s with 17 inch wheels have a huge turning circle of 44 feet, which CR, among others, have criticized as unwieldy.
  • qweewq11qweewq11 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know the exact turning radius, but I do know that when I test drove it I found the turning radius to be overly wide. I've driven the new Altima and had the same problem (even worse in the Altima, actually).

OTOH, my current car has an AMAZING turning radius, so I may have a skewed frame of reference...
  • eschmidteschmidt Member Posts: 7
    G35: 36ft
    For comparison:
    BMW 5 series: 37.1
    A4: 36.4
    A6: 38.3
    I35: 40
    TL-S: 39.7 (How come the press don't point this out but pick on the I35?)
  • drod2045drod2045 Member Posts: 39
    "This is one reason why GM hasn't widely adopted it. GM's old 3.8 V6 gets 30 mpg HWY..."

Well, that engine makes 200hp right? SOmething like that. When you use a high to displacemtn to make low amounts of power, it uses less gas. When you have a smaller engine tuned for more power, it uses more gas and thus one reason why the GM's hwy fuel economy is so good.

GM 3.8 V6 - 200hp (i believe) or 210
    VQ 3.5 V6 - 260hp and 260lbs torque
    in the Z, we may see this
    VQ 3,5 V6 - 280-300hp and 260 ft lbs torque.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    is the Volvo 960 Wagon and Sedan and the identical later V90 and S90, the last RWD Volvos and made between 1992 and 1998. Turning radius is 31.8 feet.
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    Take a look at the long term test drive report on the new Altima. Apparently the Bose amp got fried after three hours of non stop use. Overall the writer was not too thrilled with the Altima on a long trip. Let's hope the G35 Bose does not have the same problem.
  • tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    Does the G35 have a trip computer, or just outside temp gauge? Didn't see trip computer listed in the std. equipment or among options.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Can you check if the rear seats fold down in the production units? I want to put my mountain bike in the trunk. I don't think I'll get the Yakima rack on the G35. If the rear seats down fold down, what a bummer!
    Even in southern California (which is the car capitol of the world) CarsDirect.com is asking a $500.00 premium above MSRP for the G35. Very few cars go for above MSRP on CarsDirect.com. A BMW 530i can be had for $180.00 below MSRP. Also, got a call from my dealer today. Thousand Oaks Infiniti will receive their first shipment on the 11th. My base cloth will be here at the end of the month and I have the option of going with leather if I don't like it.
  • i006129i006129 Member Posts: 71
    It appears all of the Infiniti Sales Reps are going through G35 sales training over the next couple of weeks. I'm in Atl and the local guy is being sent to Florida for a day of training later this week. Maybe we'll start getting more standard responses after that.

Also, I'm curious on allocations to various dealers. Just looking at the Grubbs Infiniti site, it looks like they are getting G35's in only 3 different trim levels. Allocation for each trim level is 27 cars (total of 71 cars in the initial allocation). Seems like a lot of cars for the first shot. I've heard a similar story from Roswell Infiniti here in Atl. They claim to be the highest volume Infiniti dealer in the country. Just wondering if allocations are the same for each dealer or is it decided by sales volume. The latter would make more sense.
  • maybeg35maybeg35 Member Posts: 186
    and driving tomorrow at Pomona Raceway. What a blast that would be, huh?

baron.........., do you know if the traction control can be turned off completely?

7 more days
  • cncarlsoncncarlson Member Posts: 26
    Troncolli Infiniti here in Atlanta just called me and said they are getting the car on the 11th and have sold half of their initial allotment and they claim to be getting the largest allotment of G35's on the East Coast! She said all but 20 are sold! All this talk, and now we are going to have to pay!!
  • gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    Just came across this editorial on Forbes. Thought it might of interest to some folks.

<http://biz.yahoo.com/fo/020304/0304flint_2.html>

• gabmangabman Member Posts: 284
    Thanks for posting the article, I always root for the underdog, at least if they keep trying, and that is what infiniti is doing with the G35, Guess time will tell. Thanks again.
  • stooge2000stooge2000 Member Posts: 96
    Baron, As a car writer, you must have plenty of cockpit time with the Bimmers. You think G35 really poses a credible threat to the throng of 330 or 530? You were very subtle about it in your newspaper write-up.

BTW, I guess you own a Beech Baron, don't you?
  • 35fan35fan Member Posts: 40
    there's only a small passthrough. You'll have to take up skiing, instead. It would have been nice if they did.
    I too was disappointed with the rear seats not folding down. The other disappointment was that the steering wheel only tilts, but not telescopes (note to Riez - if you want to complain, this would be a good one to pick).

But getting back to the rear seats not folding, I also would like to be able to transport my mountain bike. Since they don't fold down, I just hope the bike will be able to fit in the relatively larger 14.5 cu.ft trunk.
    The Toronto Star has a G35 p/review up. the link is too long and Edmunds will not allow me to post it.

Just go to - http://www.thestar.com/news - and do a search for "Infiniti G35"

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's common right before a new model. People know, so they wait.

-juice
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    "Indeed, the G35 rides far better, and far more quietly, than Infiniti's own supposed luxury leader, the Q45. Ride quality is even more remarkable when you consider the huge (17-inch) low-profile (55-series) tires."

That's a suprise - he liked the G35's ride better than the Q45's!
    He also concludes as follows

"While Infiniti hopes BMW and Mercedes buyers will be drawn to the G35, on - going brand prejudice will probably mean that the Lexus IS 300 and Acura 3.2TL will be the G35's main competitors. As good as the Acura is, it probably stacks up closer to Infiniti's own front drive I35.

Which leaves the Lexus. With the possible exception of ultimate handling sharpness, the G35 clobbers the IS 300 , in power,space,features,interior trim quality and price.

I can't see Infiniti having any troubles turning the G35 into a major success."

I guess those soon to be full page adds in the Toronto Star can work wonders.
  • maybeg35maybeg35 Member Posts: 186
    in the Star with a warning that it "May not be suitable for people of all ages, parental supervision advised before reading"
    lol, you can see I am going crazy awaiting my G35, my fingers moved towards the telephone 4 times today, wanting to check with dealer on which day this week I can pick it up, don't be surprised if you guys don't hear from me for a few days once I get it.
  • baron58tcbaron58tc Member Posts: 14
    Stooge2000, I do have plenty of time in Bimmers and they are wonderful automobiles, but they have tried to make the car more appealing with easier steering which has created some real complaints among die-hard blue and white propeller fans. BMW is working on changing steering effort back to where it was. Emperically, the G35 should blow away the Bimmer. In comparison to a 5 series, they are almost identical in size with the G have significantly more interior and trunk space and the G costs about 10 large less. Ride and handling in a blind fold test would defy most people's ability to tell which car they are in or driving (engine sound would be the biggest clue). The Bimmer with 35 less horses however performs pretty close to the G. The 3 series five speed manual that I tested about a year ago could do 0-60 in about 6.1 seconds, the 5 series should be a few tenths slower because of weight. The problem for Infiniti is to get people in the showrooms to sample the G and then get them over the fact that it doesn't have a blue and white propeller on the hood and trunk.. BMW has spent billions creating that image. If it were my money, the G would be in my garage in a nano second. And yes at one time before this second career, one of the cars that I owned was a 93 Q45 for five years (it was their best year as it started in first gear instead of second and it was the last year before the softening to compete with Lexus). I bought it new and it was the best car I ever owned and it still competes with cars of today in performance and handling. (0-60 in 6.7 seconds and averaged about 20 mpg, but where it really shined was nailing the throttle at about 60 when it would grab second and run to about 95-100 before shifting at 6,900 rpm making better music than Pavoratti). When I see my Q today,( my next door neighbor's mom bought it from me. Did you ever see a 74 year old grandma smile when she drives?) it is still a very handsome automobile. It was Jade green with tan and I put BBS wheels on it but kept the tires stock for ride quality. Yes the G is more than a threat to BMW. I think Infiniti used or still does have a tag line that goes something like "Drive one and you will understand." or "ask the man (person) who owns one" This really applies to the G. About the only thing I have trouble with is the lower half roll on the dash (but you get two glove boxes and what's with those cubbies on the vertical stack? I can live with the door paneling being an 1/8th inch too thin on the upper portion. As to the comment about the in and out steering wheel adjustment, I remember when BMWs didn't adjust at all with the excuse, that the steering wheel is perfect, you need to adjust the seat to fit the wheel. The G may be the best car to come out of Japan in ten years considering all factors, including price. I do own and fly a Baron 58tc, now that has some real speed, but it climbs like a stuffed pig at cruise climb power settings.
    I know what you are talking about when it comes to the Q45. Back in ' 91 I leased a 1991 for 3 years, I loved it so much I extended the lease for a 4th year. Only problem I had with that model were the brakes, I was always changing pads, almost every time I brought it in for service either the front or rear pads were gone. I know that they corrected that problem in later years. That car was so enjoyable to drive.

As far as G35/BMW, did I read you correctly that the G35 has more interior room than a 5 series?
    I really don't follow BMW to closely however are your sure you didn't mean the 3 series?

Someone told me the new 5 series was much larger.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    My sister has a 1994 or 95 Q45. Same green color as baron58tc. She loves it very much. Still rides like a champ. Although, I believe my 2000 Impala LS rides beter than my sister's Q45. IMO Her boyfriend just bought a brand new 2001 Q45 with a BIG discount.

I'm not too crazy about the new 2002 Q45 design. It's too large! The original design of the Q45 is much nicer and very comtemporary looking. Too bad Lexus killed Infiniti Q45 back in the early 90's.
    Nice as they are, Bimmers are really cramped. The in-line six engines eat up leg room, so the 3 series is compact and even the 5 series is still sort of a small mid-sizer.

I saw a list where the EPA (IIRC) put the Ford Focus wagon in a size class above the 5 series wagon, FWIW.

-juice
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    This forum has been outstanding except for you know who and has made me want to run out to see and drive that new G Ship!
    I have driven the BMW 540I sport and was amazed. At $56,000 it should be.
    BMW makes nice and good cars, but they are marketing gurus..They have done a great job.
    I for one hope this new G ship takes them to the cleaners.
    Bob
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Better OWN the near-lux class, along with the ES300, TL and 3-series. Infiniti is basically betting the farm on it (and it's coupe sis ater this fall). Replacing the I35 (too be killed in 2 years, or to be re-invented into a Aalon/ES300 competitor with a softer, family edge), if it doesn't get between 3-5k units a month, Infiniti is dead within 5 years. You heard it here first!!! I think it is kinda ugly, but that's nothing new for Infiniti. It sounds great on paper.......better hurry up with that stick (this fall)......
    Though they may take up space, those inline sixes are so smooooooth. No V6, no matter how much you try to balance it with countershafts, cannot be made as smooth as a V6.

Unfortunately, I think market demand is winning out over engineering excellence. I read in a car mag (can't remember which one - C&D or R&T) that BMW is considering dropping the inline 6 in favor of a V6.

Mainly because BMW is finding it hard to meet space requirements against competitors smiliar V6-equipped products, and also difficulties with meeting crash requirements - since those inline 6 are so long, they are more likely to be damaged in a gead on collision compared to a V6 placed well back in the engine bay. IIRC, Car and Driver did a longterm test of a 328i (E46 model), where they were involved in a collision in the winter and the car slid into a fallen tree trunk or something. Total repair bill was more than $20k - more than 2/3 the price of the car - YIKES!!!
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    The stock has started to move up and with the advent of the G35,plus the Z350, plus the Altima, plus the great truck,(know nothing about truck,but I know they make a good truck,) Plus the yet to come coupe, and the better Suv and the Sentra has been doing well., I rather think it's a good buy at $13.....
    Bob
    True, the in-line sixes are superbly smooth. Nissan's VQ isn't far behind, though, and definitely one of the best V6s around.

It's odd to see a car with such a long wheelbase and so little rear leg room (3 series).

-juice
  • drod2045drod2045 Member Posts: 39
    THe I35 will not go softer or go against the avalon. No one is really sure about its future from my sources. it may go AWD only or RWD and AWD as Infiniti has no plans for ANY FWD cars in their lineup.
    Leave the Maxima as FWD, and give the I35 AWD so it becomes a distinct model.

-juice
    I suspect that this is what Nissan is planning to do with the revamped Maxima. Rumors on the FreshAlloy forum suggest that the next Maxima will go head to head with the Passat/Audi A4 segment, while an AWD will come under Infiniti guise.

Who knows, may be both will have the AWD option, not just the Infiniti. Heck, if Lexus can get away by selling a glorified Camry as a Lexus ES, I am sure there are plenty customers willing to do the same with the I35/Maxima. Afterall, the I35 has been the best-selling model that last couple of years. Nissan won't kill off the I35.
    I don't think they should, but AWD would be a pretty good way to distinguish the two. But then how do they distinguish the Maxima from the Altima it'll be based on?

Hard to say. Nissan may have too much overlap, all 4 of these sedans will be about the same size. They're going to have some cannibalized sales.

-juice
  • stooge2000stooge2000 Member Posts: 96
    Nissan is now run by a Frenchman Carlos Ghosn. He has reached legendary hero status in Japan. His biography is now a comic book series. Under him, many key positions are now held by American or European nationals.

Under his helm, we have already seen changes. Now, if only their advertisements could have more charisma, but not to become too weird.
    The five series BMW has about 93 cubic feet of interior and 11 cf of trunk. The G has 98 cf (Ive seen it also listed at 101 cf) of interior and almost 15 cf of trunk. A 330 BMW is listed at 91/11 cf. The 3 BMW weighs about 24 pounds less than the G, so that prop rod is important otherwise it might be 34-40 pounds more (that's tongue in cheek)

I never replaced my Infiniti pads in 46,000 miles and five and a half years of driving. Maybe I don't use my brakes enough. I have noticed that my cars always seem to have a shortened front end. Maybe I should stop driving by braille.
    The term Q ship ( a term I started using about 12 years ago) relates well to the orginal Q45. A Q ship was a delapidated looking merchant vessel with big guns used to lure enemy subs into a surface battle during WWII sort of like the original Q45 a different looking car that had massive firepower under the hood.

The reason for the proliferation of V-6 is their compact nature and easy transverse installation for FWD. Inline sixes are the smoothest engine going with perfect primary and secondary balance. V-6s have a "rocking couple" and dynamically not well balanced, hence the need for balance shafts. But of all V-6s, the VQ is the smoooothest and best one going although Toyota, Audi and VWs have some pretty smooth V-6 powerplants. It is so well balanced, that when having fun, I use the rev limiter for shift points.
  • 35fan35fan Member Posts: 40
    I wonder if there will be much cannibalization of I35 sales? The g35 and i35 are such different cars. I imagine most people who buy the g35 would never have bought the i35. They would have ended up at one of the other manufacturers. The I35 buyers will still be there. BTW, the I35 does need to loose that rear axle.Don't know how the Maxima vs. I35 will play out.
    And I agree that the G will not likely pull in BMW and Mercedes buyers. Or people who must buy America. But people moving up from Honda, Toyota,and Mazda, etc. will look.

And Edmunds needs to update their comparison pages to include the G. They still show the I35 as a comparison to the BMW.
  • a3a12498a3a12498 Member Posts: 17
    During the process of considering the G35, I created a spread sheet comparing what information I could get from the web, etc. to compare such things as weight, interior dimensions, trunk space, etc. for the G35, vs. BMW 330i, 530i, VW Passat, Audi A4 & A6, Lexus ES300, Jag X-type, Acura TL type S 3.2, and Toyota Camry SE.
    The G35 won virtually every category, and interior and trunk dimensions are of the G35, are all bigger than the 330i and 530i BMWs, except front shoulder room by .4 inches.
    If you would like this Excel sheet, in either metric or US measure, feel free to e-mail me at: rparkins@infotel-systems.com. I also have some pictures from various sources, and seveal mag articles in .pdf format.
    Do not take this the wrong way, but I think you put way too much time into this (in metric and english too - yikes). Your comment about the G35 beating the 3er and 5er in all categories except shoulder room pretty much sums it up. I say, drive all those cars you mentioned and buy the one that "speaks" to you in the sweetest voice.

But I would question why you would put the Camry in that list. I drive a Camry right now, and the car is no where near the market segment the G35 is going after. And no, my Camry does not speak to me in a "sweet" voice - in fact, it has no soul - as exciting as watching paint dry. But my next car WILL be more exciting.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    The I and G35 look similar, are of similar size, similar power, and similar price, so one has to change. AWD or RWD is DEFINITELY in the future of these sedans. Since the G35 is both RWD and quite roomy, I think it is better left as THE 30k sedan in Infiniti's lineup. The IS and ES are clearly different. Infiniti needs to differentiate these cars. FWD can ony take so much power, so AWD will be coming....
  • jethrog35jethrog35 Member Posts: 14
    This review has been posted on other G35 forums, but for those of you who don't subscribe to them, I thought you may be interested in my brief (amateur) review of this new sedan.

I test drove the G35 last Thursday and bought it the next day (delivery in 2 weeks). There was no dickering, it was MSRP or nothing, but they did give me a break on the price of an aftermarket spoiler when one becomes available (I didn't want the Aero Package because it comes with the sport suspension and the regular suspension is already like most other sport suspensions I've tried).

Even without the sport package, this car has virtually NO body lean in the fast curves. Torque is amazing, and the automatic is VERY responsive. I've been driving a stick all my life and I'd swear that the automatic shifts in a more sporty fashion than I can. If a manual were available, I'd still buy it, but I don't think that I'm going to miss it.

The Edmunds article really hits the mark with my impressions of the car. The interior is, uh, "ok", but pales to an Audi or a Lexus. I liken it more to a Celica with leather and a half-hearted dash of wood trim. Controls are logically placed and accessible, with LOTS of nooks and crannies for stashing things away. The seats are comfortable, but you can't raise/lower the passenger seat, which bugs my 5'2" wife. However, for my 5'10" frame, I felt a little high, even with the driver's seat fully lowered. No problem with head room though, tons of it.

The car comes with a bit more than the standard array of luxury amenities, but without as much attention to the little details like an Audi. However, all the stuff that I was interested in (and then some) was present and accounted for.

The stereo is good, but not quite what I expected for a Bose. Dual-zone climate control does appear to be "set it and forget it", a real plus. The Infiniti signature clock is poorly lit and hard to read at night. All other controls (including window controls) are lit, and the front looks like an amber airplane cockpit at night. The amber colour is not bad, and certainly not hard to read in the daytime as some articles have suggested. All the same, I'd prefer a different colour. The glove compartment is also a bit small. Cup holders look good and are in great locations, didn't get a chance to try them though.

One thing that surprised me was that the rear leg room was not as voluminous as the spec sheet would suggest. I've tested a number of cars by adjusting the driver's seat to where I want it and then sitting right behind it to check out the knee room. I measured a clearance of only about 1/2" from my knee to the back of the seat (with the rear seat in the non-recline position). This is on a par with the new Audi A4. I was expecting something in the order of at least 2 inches of clearance. Not really an issue for my family, but worth checking out if you have any 6+ footers in the family. Don't worry about head room in the back though, there's tons of it.

Now for performance… all I can say is, "Wow!" You really feel the torque in this car. It will actually take some effort to do a simple family drive since the car really wants to "go". Cornering is effortless, with almost no body roll, even with the regular suspension. The VDC cuts in VERY fast, and saved me a couple of times in the test drive. We had a recent snowfall and I was able to see what the car would be like on snowy roads. With the fast acting traction control and VDC, the car handled quite admirably. With all that power, the traction control was often kicking in to cut wheel spin, but there was no fear of losing control. I'd recommend snow tires if you're in a hilly area. Your traction control will also have to work a lot less if you get them (giving you a smoother run since engine power won't be cutting in and out so much).

You can always turn off the VDC/traction control on those dry days for more fun. It's not really off, just lowered in sensitivity to only attempt to bail you out when you REALLY lose control. My take on the VDC is that it's VERY impressive. Expect more frequent brake jobs if you live in a winter climate though.

The exterior mirrors are NOT auto-dimming, but from what I've read, that's a good thing. I've read a number of complaints about exterior auto-dimming mirrors making it hard to determine how far a vehicle is away from you.

It does not appear that the Xenon headlights are self-levelling. They really do light up the area though. The halogens come on for high beams and are angled more upward, adding a yellow tinge to the blue light. Excellent range. Plan on still using high beams since the Xenons have a very sharp cutoff point.

Trunk space is ok, technically better than an Audi A4, but not by much, and the seats don't fold. You could get a couple of sets of golf clubs in there with a medium-sized suitcase and some "corner stuffers". I understand that there are also a couple of little storage hideaways under the floor cover (didn't check them out). Don't get this car if cargo is a regular concern for you.

Hurray! You get a full-size spare tire!

Styling is excellent. There's not a profile that I don't like. My 14-year old son's eyes popped out when he saw the car, even without the spoiler (his eyes were pushed to the back of his head when I gunned the accelerator).

If your wife wants to feel like a queen when getting into the family car, this is not the car for you (not without some serious customizing of interior trim). However, if you want a 4-door sports car with a small touch of class and a good bit of sex appeal, then this is the car for you. Personally, I have lots of other occasions where I can treat my wife like the queen she is to me.
  • aggie4aggie4 Member Posts: 16
    Well, I got my first indication that Infiniti really does have my pre-order on file. I got a letter and a replica of the clock that is in the G in the mail today. Hmmm, wonder if they would take that clock back and give me $1000 off MSRP in return?

I am assuming that all US dealers will have G35s to drive next Monday the 11th. Seems to be the concensus as to the first date of availability. Has anyone heard of anything different?
  • eschmidteschmidt Member Posts: 7
    Great review! Thanks for typing it all up. One question about the rear leg room though: After you adjusted the front seat to your driving position, did you make sure the automatic entry/exit system is turned off before you got out? Otherwise, when you opened the door and moved to the back, the front seats will automatically move back 2-3 inches, cutting rear leg room off by quite a bit.

I had a chance to sit in one of the pre-production car and thought the rear leg room was quite good. Because of the large "hump" in the middle, the foot well is smaller than the FWD I35 though.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    FYI. The EPA classifies the G35 as a mid-size car but classifies the BMW 5-series as a compact car.
    Carsdirect.com has a great feature to compare vehicles side by side. While looking at the specifications of a particular vehicle just click on "Compare to another vehicle", type in what vehicle, and you'll end up with a side by side comparison. Everything from price, interior features, size, horsepower, the works. Looking at a G35 and a 530i side by side makes the G35 an absolute no brainer.
  • jethrog35jethrog35 Member Posts: 14
    The egress-assist is quite noticeable when you are not expecting it (it kicked in on my second test drive), so I'm quite sure that it was turned off when I did the rear seat legroom test.

It would be nice though if that were the case!
This discussion has been closed.