Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I don't get this option situation. I haven't seen anything in the press releases that says you can't get Sport Suspension without Aero Package and Moonroof. I have seen that getting Aero requires Sport Suspension.

It's hard to imagine that you have to order a moonroof and Aero to get Sport.

Frankly, I'm interested in the leather edition plus either Sport of Wood Trim Package. Maybe a moonroof as a stand alone too. Tops out between 30-31K.

But where do you see this ordering requirement that you have to buy everything but the kitchen sink to get a Sport Suspension?
  • infinitisellerinfinitiseller Member Posts: 23
    buy one in Canada.Only five options:
    1-Luxury
    2-Luxury with premium
    3-premium and nav pack
    4-premium and aero pack
    5-premium with nav pack and aero pack

OPPs! I don't think we can. Too bad,they're probably cheaper here because of our poor old dollar. The coupe looks hot!

As for the post earlier about getting an eight thousand dollar discount,he must of meant on a 2001 G20 but I find that hard to believe. Must have been a service loaner.

I am sure Infiniti dealers will be reasonable about the G35, we need to get them on the road. At our store the demand for G35 is very high. We have deposits already on our first ones coming in.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Go to infiniti.com and build your own G35. To get a G35 with leather, moonroof and sports suspension, you must get the silly aero package. You might have the option for the winter package, but the winter package for me (in San Diego) is far more useless than even a tacky spoiler.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    The G35 looks pretty reasonably priced. It's about the same pricewise as the Lexus IS300.

The option packaging looks like they are trying to copy Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc.. where the options really jack up the prices. This is a total different philosophy than the old days such as when the J30 had no options and everything was standard.

I like the Acura approach the best...load it up and give it a low price, but they don't have a car like the G35 now, right? It's essentially a 4 door 350Z.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    Any idea what the MSRP will be in Canada?
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    Infiniti has always provided me with a loaner, although I noted on my last visit that they started charging a $5 gas fee so it's not free anymore. I complained to the service rep and was told it was because nobody was topping off the the tanks, like you're supposed too, before returning the loaners. I mentioned it again during my dealerships service follow-up call and the dealer rep sympathized and said that she didn't like the new policy either and hinted that I should note my displeasure on the service report card that Infiniti sends out to keep tabs on thier dealerships. They do the free wash every time and they really do try to pamper you whenever you walk throught the door. Another thing I like about my dealership is that they always try to do everthing by appointment so I've never had to waste time standing around in the service department. It's always an in and out deal even with the loaner stuff to coordinate. My local Ford dealer, where I sometimes take my other vehicle, can be like lunchtime at the deli counter during drop off and pick up time and of course there are no perks either.
    They have not released prices for the car in Canada yet,maybe when I get into work this morning. We do have the prices for the option packages though. Guys at the Infiniti dealer in your town are a super lot.
  • jjy1jjy1 Member Posts: 26
    What kind of discounts off of MSRP do you think I can get? 1000 off MSRP seems reasonable. Anybody get that?

I'm tempted to get the car, but always hear bad things about first year cars. Anybody have experiences with brand new (modelwise) infiniti cars?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Since they aren't even in dealer's lots yets and MSRP pricing only just released, isn't it a bit premature to guesstimate discounts for a car that goes on sale later this Spring? IF the car is a hit, you might have to pay full boat or suffer paying more than MSRP???
    This is hard to believe. Why does everybody have to get a discount. Three years after you buy the car you will be the one griping about your resale value. Manufactures/Dealers/Consumers are equally to blame for resale value. Cars should be priced at a fair value, the G35 with the equipment it has is reasonably priced. If price and discount are the common denominators in car value, why do people buy imports? The key to pricing the G35 is to make it competitive,not out of reach.
    We all want less than MSRP because MSRP is just what the name implies, a suggested retail price. If someone offers me something at one price but I know they'll take less money for it, why wouldn't I buy it for less?

I'll reserve judgement on the G35 though until after I drive one with a stick. It looks great and I love Nissan products, so this may very well be the VW replacement I've been pining for since buying the biggest mistake of my life a turbo Jetta.

Will I pay MSRP? No way. Heck, if I can talk a Lexus cat down 6k on a 35k MSRP IS300, then I'd expect to get at least near invoice on a G35 too.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    I think all this talk of discounts might be a little optimistic. People are saying that they don't want to pay the MSRP of $27,100, but if the MSRP on this car was $32,100, you would gladly pay $27,100 for it. It makes no sense. It's still the same amount of dollars out of your bank account, isn't it? As has been already said, any discounts given when the car is new will be reflected in a lower resale value so your bottom line depreciation will be the same. The market knows the actual price a particular car sold for when new, the MSRP is irrelevant when determining the resale value.

There might be $6K discounts off of an IS300 because that's what the market values that car at. The market value is $29K and not $35K meaning very few people would pay $35K for it. If there is huge demand for the G35 and the market values the car at $30K, then you might expect to pay several thousand over MSRP for it. Anyone try and buy a Mercedes SLK or CLK when they first came out? Or an Audi TT or even Mazda Miata when they first hit the streets?

It's all simple economics of supply and demand, and perceived value. The MSRP is really meaningless in determining the actual purchase price of a car. Has anyone ever bought a car for $5K off sticker and then sold it the next day for sticker price? Doesn't happen. You can get a great deal on a car even though you pay over sticker and you can get a bad deal on a car even though you paid well under sticker. It all depends on how much value you get in the car for your money. I guess it's one of life's first lessons: You get what you pay for.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, the wife needs to replace her 626 V6/5 speed, so when the 6 speed arrives, I'll have to take a look. She really wants another sedan. You guys think it'll have enough for 2 kids and gear?

That is a long, long wheelbase. Power looks good, 6 speed too. I'm not too keen on the vertical headlights, or the L-shaped taillights, but the car as a whole looks good. VDC standard and RWD are a big plus. Hinged trunk lid, not the gooseneck hinges on the Altima (and Camry, and Accord, the list goes on...)

I don't like the way the packaging works either. I'd want heated leather, moonroof, and sport package, but nothing else because then the price creeps up. Are seat heaters standard?

-juice
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    It's been near 40 degrees here in Miami in the morning. I sure love to have heated seats in my Acura TL-S. Just like I loved having heated seats in my Chrysler 300M (with performance handlign group package) last winter.

I know you can still get the performance package and winter package together in the G35, but then you get V-rated tires instead of W-rated tires. I hope they give a discount for that inconvenience.
    How long do you thing it'll take Edmunds to come up with the "Invoice" price for the g35 and options? The quicker the better cause negotiations are waiting...
    <<think all this talk of discounts might be a little optimistic. People are saying that they don't want to pay the MSRP of $27,100, but if the MSRP on this car was $32,100, you would gladly pay $27,100 for it.>>

That's because the dealer profit would be FAR lower on the 27k G35 purchase and probably much closer to what they paid for the car. The point is not to get under MSRP but to get as close as humanly possible to invoice (under preferably) to keep dealer profit as low as possible. I don't mind paying Nissan 32k for the car straight from the factory. I do mind the idea of paying a dealership 4-6k in profit for being nothing more than bipedal snakes.

<< It makes no sense. It's still the same amount of dollars out of your bank account, isn't it?>>

It's not the money, it's who it profits.

<< As has been already said, any discounts given when the car is new will be reflected in a lower resale value so your bottom line depreciation will be the same. The market knows the actual price a particular car sold for when new, the MSRP is irrelevant when determining the resale value.>>

It's not about depreciation. It's the disgusting concept of giving a dealership and salespeople thousands of dollars for doing NOTHING.
  • dmmattixdmmattix Member Posts: 77
    Couple of points: I35 Margin (MSRP - Invoice + Holdback) is approximately $3000 while the IS300 (Lexus) Margin is approx $4100. There are bonuses going around that are not advertised but the nice new dealership you go into has to come out of that figure as well as the sales commission, etc. While you can expect to pay invoice or even a little less at your local Ford or Chevy dealership they sell hundreds of vehicles a week and can get by on volume. Infinitis don't have that kind of volume.

I don't have anything to do with any dealership just don't mind paying to get the service.

Mike
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    Here in the snow belt, I want the Winter Package with heated seats and V-rated all-season 17" tires AND the Sports Package. I also want the Premium Package to get the 200 watt Bose, power passenger seat, and all the other good stuff my Maxima has. In fact, I want everything EXCEPT the navigation thing (and the automatic tranny), but it looks like you have to get nav if you want everything else?! I hope Infiniti decides to sell this like the Acura TL-S/CL-S where it comes with everything and you get to choose whether or not it has Nav.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    if the dealer does NOTHING, then I dare you to try and buy a G35 without a dealer!

The dealer does something! It does something that you can not do yourself!

And a MSRP is a suggested price from Nissan, where Nissan is stating their percieved monetary value of this car. This is not saying that Nissan will "accept less", it is only saying its percieved value. So, according to capitolist economics, the price you pay will be based on the demand, in relation to the amount supplied(which will obviously be limited because of initial production), so the price is determined by the market, not how much Nissan will "accept".

In actuality, Nissan could accept way less! They could accept less than invoice. But Nissan demands a profit, and they demand a profit for their dealers, as the dealers are the connection to the American Marketplace. Without those dealers, you wouldn't have a car, and you wouldnt have a place to fix your car, and you wouldnt have a place to make a warranty claim, and you wouldnt have a place to whine and complain.

And if Nissan sold its vehicles directly from the factory, I can only imagine the horror of customer service.
    QUOTE: "It's not about depreciation. It's the disgusting concept of giving a dealership and salespeople thousands of dollars for doing NOTHING. "

Well, dealers and salespeople have to make a living and feed their families, too, don't they? If they make nothing on every sale then they'd be out of business soon, won't they? Then where would you get your G35 serviced? Of course, they could also jack up the service rates to make money to stay in business. Either way, it's ultimately going to come out of the customers' pockets. I'm not trying to defend the dealers in any way, but I also do understand that a business needs to make a profit in some way to stay in business. I think a lot of dot-com companies found that out the hard way over the past couple of years.

In any case, paying $32K directly to Nissan would just mean the tops execs at Nissan get a $5 million bonus at the end of the year instead of a $2 million bonus. Do they really deserve the extra $3 million for getting customers to pay much more for a car than their production cost? Maybe so. At least their shareholders may think so. But is this really any better than giving more of the profit to the dealers? At least if my local Infiniti dealer gets some of this money, they may offer me free donuts the next time I bring my car in for service. Or maybe have more loaner cars with free gas, or add more service bays to shorten appointments, hire better mechanics, etc.. If Nissan execs get the money, they'll just go buy a bigger house or send their kids to Harvard. I'll never see a dime of it.
    <<Well, dealers and salespeople have to make a living and feed their families, too, don't they? >>

Not my problem. They're middlemen who offer no value for my dollar.

<<If they make nothing on every sale then they'd be out of business soon, won't they?>>

They still make some profit...about 1-3k on holdback and a bit on warrantry claims. If they can sucker people in for after warranty service they make a flat out killing.

<< Then where would you get your G35 serviced?>>

For the first 4 years it's covered by Nissan's warranty and thus Nissan pays them a bit.

<< Of course, they could also jack up the service rates to make money to stay in business.>>

This is where all dealerships make their money anyway. Service. It's not in the sale but in extorting cash from knaves who use dealerships once the car is out of warranty.

<< Either way, it's ultimately going to come out of the customers' pockets.>>

Personally, even if I kept the car past the warranty, I'd go to a trusted mechanic, not a dealership.

<< I'm not trying to defend the dealers in any way, but I also do understand that a business needs to make a profit in some way to stay in business.>>

I'm quite aware of how a business operates. Their continued existence is not a concern of mine.

<<In any case, paying $32K directly to Nissan would just mean the tops execs at Nissan get a $5 million bonus at the end of the year instead of a $2 million bonus.>>

Fine by me. No dealing with bipedal snakes.

<< Do they really deserve the extra $3 million for getting customers to pay much more for a car than their production cost?>>

Sure, they already do that. :) That's capitalism at its finest. Sell me a product you make for a price you think is fair...god bless ya, I'll sign the check if I agree with that price. Buy a product from someone else and tack on profit for yourself and then expect me to smile and pay that inflated price when all you did was hold the product? No way.

<<Maybe so. At least their shareholders may think so. But is this really any better than giving more of the profit to the dealers?>>

To me it's a better idea as the manufacturer took the risks, spent the money on R&D and now tests the market. The dealership holds the vehicle for a time, little more.

<< At least if my local Infiniti dealer gets some of this money, they may offer me free donuts the next time I bring my car in for service. Or maybe have more loaner cars with free gas, or add more service bays to shorten appointments, hire better mechanics, etc..>>

I can do without donuts, loaner cars, etc. I'd rather never deal with a dealership. Or even better have factory supported repair centers that hucksters can't own or operate. Make them answerable to the parent company unlike the current franchise arrangement that screws over the customer.

<< If Nissan execs get the money, they'll just go buy a bigger house or send their kids to Harvard. I'll never see a dime of it. >>

I won't see a dime of it if I pay 4k more to an Infiniti dealer either. Even without my extra 4k they have to honor my warranty. As I said before, I'll gladly pay the manufactuer what he feels the car is worth, but not some slick salesguy in a tacky Norsport button-down.

I'm a capitalist through and through and I see no added value for paying 32k on a car that cost them probably 27k. Including holdback, the dealer probably sees a 6-7k profit on each G35 sold at MSRP. That's sickening. My 4-8 visits over the course of 4 years under warranty will not come close to matching that. Why give someone so much for so little in return? It doesn't make sense.
    QUOTE: "For the first 4 years it's covered by Nissan's warranty and thus Nissan pays them a bit." " I'm quite aware of how a business operates. Their continued existence is not a concern of mine."

These two comments seem to contradict each other.

If the dealers went out of business, where would you get your new G35 serviced even while it's under warranty? Never mind what happens after the warranty expires, what do you do for the first four years if your car has problems and there are no dealers to speak of because they all went under from not making a profit? Without a dealership network, Nissan could not offer you a warranty. Would probably negatively impact your resale value too if all the Infiniti dealers went out of existence. For example, would you buy a used Peugeot, Sterling, Alfa, Renault, Fiat, or Oldsmobile, for that matter?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    We ordered our initial allocation of G35's last night. Nav is a stand alone option. If you do not want it do not order it. Wood Pkg. is only available with non sport premium models. Sunroof is theoretically optional, but don't count on finding car with out it. Aero is optional but not required with sport pkg, but since it is a functional aero pkg not just gingerbread it may be worth considering.

Discount HA HAHAHAHAHAHA, That is pretty darn funny. The cars are not even here yet. We just started discounting Q45's. I don't mean to be rude, but for $33,500 you will be getting a car that will easily out run and out handle anything within $40,000 of that price. Besides Infiniti only carries about 8% mark-up on its cars, so their is not a lot of room for discounting anyway.
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    you forgot to mention the 1-3 k that blueguy thinks they are sneaking into your back pocket.

Blueguy seems to have a serious hair up his backside regarding the role of dealers. I wonder where he buys his food, from farmers? I'm so mad I'm gonna go over to those bipedal snakes at Ralphs and take them to task for marking up my ribeye steak and beer. The gall! I should be able to buy a decent pilsner directly from the manufacturer and not pay the needless mark-up to some store. And IT won't even require any warranty work! Anyone know where I can find the holdback $$ on Pampers Diapers? I'm gonna save me a bundle on my next trip to the store...

HiC
    <<If the dealers went out of business, where would you get your new G35 serviced even while it's under warranty?>>

Actually, I mentioned that I'd prefer manufacturer operated repair shops. I would love to take my car in for repair work to a place that cares rather than a dealership.

<< Never mind what happens after the warranty expires, what do you do for the first four years if your car has problems and there are no dealers to speak of because they all went under from not making a profit?>>

Dealers make a majority of their cash on warranty and repair work. Sales account for next to nothing in the scheme of a dealership's profits. Regardless, this was answered above. I'd prefer abolishing franchises.

<< Without a dealership network, Nissan could not offer you a warranty. Would probably negatively impact your resale value too if all the Infiniti dealers went out of existence. For example, would you buy a used Peugeot, Sterling, Alfa, Renault, Fiat, or Oldsmobile, for that matter? >>

I have nothing against Nissan dealers alone. All dealerships to me are horrible bloodsuckers. To give them EXTRA profit by paying MSRP is a slap in the face. They get holdback money on each car sold, (if you're unfamiliar with the term, look it up at Edmunds) plus they get money back for warranty work and finally they make an outright killing doing repairs on out-of-warranty and non-warranty covered work.

Do you believe your 6-8 trips to a dealer over a 4 year period are worth $8,000 profit? They're making a killing doing nothing.
    Since these cars are made in Japan, having them at a dealer is FAR beneficial to the price, compared to buying directly.

Think about how much it would cost to buy one(yes just for you) directly from the factory how you like it, wait 6 months for production, and then have it delivered as an individual car to your house.

The benefit the dealers provide is that they are capable of buying multiple cars(The only way Nissan will sell them, which is not unreasonable since they cut down on the number of sales forms they have to worry about).

These cars are optioned in popular ways, so that when you get to the dealer you do not have to wait six months to get your car.

Plus, you only pay a very small destination charge compared to what it would cost to deliver a single car to your house, because they are shipped in mass quantities on large trucks and boats.
    I wonder where your paycheck comes from. This board is for discussing the car,not beating up dealers. Judging by your attitude I would have to waste my "one a month" if you came in our store. Dealerships are businesses. They employ people who pay taxes and spend money in their communities. According to you, people must provide services for free. Are you from the US or Cuba?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Regardless of how we would like to buy cars and have them serviced, it won't matter for a long, long time. We are stuck with the auto-world as it currently is for quite some time. Yeah, maybe it is some sort of sick symbiotic-parasitic relationship, but somehow manufacturers, dealers, and buyers seem to survive and sometimes thrive in it. Being a buyer, all I know is knowledge is power and time is normally on my side if I don't fall in love with something. I pray there are lots of marks in the world (i.e., less knowledgeable buyers), so they get squeezed for profit and my sale is only marginally profitable to the manufacturer & dealer. Guessing most posters here are in a rather education group vis-a-vis the rest of the car buying public.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    ...it seems to me we'd be buying from factory-owned stores. And then the car companies would mark up their product to cover the new costs: land, buildings, salespeople, receptionists, donuts ;-).

At least with independent dealerships, there's incentive for competition. I can't imagine one factory store giving you a better deal than another.
  • mica88mica88 Member Posts: 25
    Is it possible to order the G35 with cloth seats and navi in Canada? That is, no sunroof, no leather seats?
    Or, can a G35 (with cloth seats) be purchased, and the navi installed later by the dealer?
    Do you know if there is a digital clock which might be added later to replace the analog clock?
    Leather is standard equipment in Canada. Our premium package has the sunroof, memory seats etc. Nav package is only available on the premium as an option.

As far as the clock goes,my guess is that it will stay. The original Q45 had an analog clock until 1996(may have been the 1994 and up?). The 1997 model had digital and the Q45 now has gone back to analog in the 2002. I30 had it in 2000.
    Qx4 in 2001. Seems to be a trend to a Signature feature in all Infiniti's. Hope this helps.

Nice to see discussion back to car.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    The extra 2k in the 3er coupe pricing is due to more standard features, not just the privlege of haveing 2 less doors last i checked you get

sport supension
    fold down rear seat
    on board computer
    and maybe more, not 2k worth but most of it.

DL
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Ok so if you choose standard you cannot get any options at all ? huh ? ok whatever. Also i had to choose Aero to get Sport unlike some dealer here posted.I would just get the standard car and have leather put in, but with the sidechair airbags makes me nervous.
    Also for comparison a C class with 168hp weighs more and has less 3.2 inches of rear legroom WOW. And a top speed of 142!
    I did not see any premium for any exterior color ? guess ive bought German too long lol.

Regards,
    DL
    I just got back from the San Jose auto show tonight and they had a gorgeous, black G35 on display. This car looks even better in person than in the photos! I think this is definitely going to be my next car as long as they don't jack up the price next year when the 6-speed manual comes out. (I also don't like to buy a first year production car). I'm also still torn between the sedan and the coupe. The Infiniti rep at the show said he's seen a photo of the actual coupe and it looks hot! Most people at Infiniti think it looks better than the sedan.

Given what you get with this car and the price, I would venture to say that the G35 may be the most significant car introduction since the Ford Mustang, heck, maybe since the Model-T. It's like getting a Lexus GS300 or a BMW 530i with much more power but for $15K less. BMW must be sweating bullets right about now.

It'll be tempting for the dealers to price gouge, but I do hope they refrain. I'm sure Infiniti doesn't look kindly on dealers that charge over MSRP. If my local dealer tries this, I'll be sure to ring the Infiniti corporate rep I met at the show (he happens to be in dealer management for my area).
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    bmw dealers sweating? most significant car since the ole henry's T? i have owned a couple of infiniti's and realize what they are... generally competitve vehicles sold at significant discounts due to the buying public's perception that the vehicle is genrally inferior and has pathetic resale value. i buy them because they are cheaper than the competition, and i don't keep them long enough to see if they have any long-term reliability.

yes, the g35 looks, on paper like a big fat winner, but it will still be sold and serviced by a pretty sorry dealership network and it won't have a slanted L or a blue and white spinning propeller on it. the q45 is an excellent vehicle for the "street price", certainly not at MSRP, the QX4 is a competitive vehicle at the hugely discounted going rate, while the I35 and G20 don't even deserve print here in cyberspace, although they get me from stoplight to stoplight as a service loaner.

i hope the g35 is a huge bomb, in order for me to pick one up, well after the initial pent-up demand has subsided, at a modest discount.

an aside... the corporate rep in your area works in the management at the local dealer? TALK ABOUT A CONFLICT OF INTEREST! i certainly wouldn't want to get help from Nissan/Infiniti if i had a dealership problem in your area.

ace
    Is that right, 4 years free maintenance? Pardon the newbie question.

-juice
    Good grief, I didn't malign your name or toss out pejoratives. Regardless, you work in the industry so please don't deny that dealers get holdback, warranty money and make MOST of their profit in repair work.

I'd think someone who works in that industry would at least have the deceny to admit that vehicle sales are not a major source of income for dealerships.
    It depends on the make, actually. Look at Saturn. A few luxury brands also sell near MSRP and bring profits to the dealers.

-juice
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for the input. It looked to me from the Infiniti website that if you wanted BOTH sport and premium packages with winter package that you had to take NAV. Would appreciate your posting if you hear when 6-speed is going to be available.

Infinitiseller - I agree, good to have discussion back to the car. I hope all good Nissan and Infiniti dealers and salesmen earn decent profits and have a prosperous 2002.
  • cncarlsoncncarlson Member Posts: 26
    As a former Infinity owner ('94 J30), put 65K miles on the car, no problems at all! Loved the car, trunk too small for growing family. Am back in market lease on 99 A4 lease up in May (no more Audi's, blast to drive, but too small and way too many problems) Like the look of the G35 (Also am looking at Volvo S60 2.4T and Acura TL type -s, or used GS300).

As far a first year of G35, that is not necessarily true since it is the Skyline, correct?

When will dealers receive the car?

Also, if you have sat in one, how much rear legroom is there? Comparable with I35?
    No, the Infiniti corporate rep that I met doesn't work at my local dealership, he works for Infiniti and manages ALL the dealers in my geography. In essence, he's their boss. I bet he can probably control allocations based on the good or bad behavior of his dealers.

BTW, I also have to vent a little any say that in my personal humble opinion, anyone that buys a car based solely on the badge on its hood is downright pathetic! As if they should be bragging that spending thousands of dollars than they need to for a car is some sort of personal achievement. That their friends should be somehow impressed by their total lack of understanding of cars and their shortage of brain cells. Winning a Nobel prize impresses me, buying a $90,000 Mercedes does not.

I actually do hope that the general public's image of Infinitis continues to be negative because then it'll allow me to buy them at a much larger discount. I only care about what the car is and not what the image is. Does what other people think of your car change the way that it drives, its comfort, safety or reliability? Just like I bought an Audi in 1987 during the darkest days for Audi in the U.S. market (a year after 60 Minutes) when noboby would touch them with a ten foot pole and got a huge discount, I wouldn't mind if I got a huge discount on a G35 either. I probably wouldn't buy an Audi now because they've gotten too popular (and expensive). The bottom line is, IMHO, you're the only one that should be impressed by your car and not anybody else.
    I dare you to try and buy a Nissan without a dealer then.

You can't.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    First of all, you seem to contradict yourself when you malign the markup placed by the dealer, then say that they don't make any net profit from car sales.

Secondly, do you not think that "bipedal snake" is not a pejorative?

I can understand that you want to get the best price and make sure that you are not being taken to the cleaners, but settle down!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Did Infiniti allow you to sit inside the G35 at the auto show? They didn't allow us at the LA Auto Show.

Please tell the Infiniti management rep that they need to improve on the trunk lid. It's looks BLAH! I like the license plate to be at the center of the trunk lid with chrome piece above it. Somewhat similar to BMW. :)

If you have a chance to chat with the management rep, ask him if the coupe will be cheaper than the sedan. Somehow, I think it is because Honda/Acura coupes are $500 less than the sedan.
    You can do so with BMW, MB and Porsche. People who have done it swear it's a great option.

That'd be nice, pay invoice or so and fly out to Japan, view the factory and then head home with the G on the way.

Regardless, do you know if the manual is gonna be a 5 or 6 speed?
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I own a 00 Max SE, and am very interested in getting a manual G35.....so I compared the 02 Max SE dimensions with the G35. I assume that the I35 dimensions are the same as the Max but didn't verify that. The cars are very similar.

All measurements in inches.

Headroom (F/R)
    G35 40.5/40.0
    Max 40.5/37.4

Shoulder room (F/R)
    G35 56.4/56.2
    Max 56.9/56.2

Hip Room (F/R)
    G35 54.3/53.0
    Max 55.3/53.7

Leg Room (F/R)
    G35 43.9/36.2
    Max 44.8/36.2
    Yes, I was allowed to sit inside the G35. The woman who was presenting the car let me get on the platform and then sit in the driver's seat even though I don't think she was supposed to do that. I doubt she'll let other people do that again. I just got lucky (or maybe it was my charm?). The interior looks awesome! Really nice leather seats and a really wide center console and armrest. The rear seats are bucket-like as well. One thing that I didn't like was the lack of a hand parking brake. It has the foot pedal type. I hope when the manual version comes out they put a hand brake in or else driving on the hills of San Francisco is going to be scary (if not impossible) with four pedals to operate simultaneously with only two feet!

The Infiniti rep believes that the coupe should cost around the same as the sedan (although I don't think he knew for sure), which is fine by me. I think that the Acura TL/CL is a little unusual in that the coupe is less expensive. I think the coupe tends to be more in most cases, e.g., Lexus ES300/SC300, BMW 325i/325Ci, etc. According to the website the coupe is suppose to have even more power so I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume that it'll get the exact same engine and transmission as the 350Z (i.e., 280+HP, and 6-speed manual trans.). Fine by me.

BTW, I actually like the rear end of the G35. The handle/latch beneath the Infiniti nameplate is kind of nice. The trunk is also cavernous. The G35 actually has more passenger interior volume space than the I35 (which the rep didn't even know).
    The BMW, MB, etc. European Delivery programs actually work through your local dealer. You order the car through your dealer and then pick it up from them when you return from your trip. They are still responsible for prepping the car once it comes off the ship and is trucked to them. I believe the dealers still make some profit from these Euopean Delivery cars or else they wouldn't bother with the headaches of the paperwork and prepping the car (and customers calling every five days asking if their car has arrived back from Europe).
    "Is it there yet?"

"No, sir, you just called an hour ago."

"Do you think it'll be in by lunch time? That'd be keen."

"No, we received our weekly shipment yesterday."

"So will it be in after lunch then?"
    If you dislike the rear like I do, write infiniti an email. You'll get a standard reply, but at least you've made your concerns know.

infiniticonsumeraffairs@nissan-usa.com
This discussion has been closed.