Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I35, Maxima, G35, high end Altima, and 350Z. These vehicles are starting to "overlap" one another. Not sure how Nissan is going to differentiate between the two brands. It's a dangerous game because Nissan will be competing against their own brand.

By the way, I don't necessarily "dislike" the rear end, I think it can be improved on. Maybe the coupe will have a different rear end treatment?
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Would the manual be 26K?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    My guess is that the manual will be a no-cost option, so the price will remain the same. That's how it works on the '02 Maxima.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    I got my Volvo (S60 T5 w/ manual trans) that way. Not only did I save money, but they threw in the airfare and 1 night hotel. The trip was great, and you get to tour the factory.

BTW, I'm also not crazy about the rear end of the G35 (though it's better than the last two generations of Maximas IMO). I think I recall seeing different pictures a few months ago where the rear end looked different (better). Was that the Japanese spec?

Overall, I think the G35 looks like an absolute winner!
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    I hope when the manual version comes out they put a hand brake in or else driving on the hills of San Francisco is going to be scary (if not impossible) ...

I have a hand brake [ yes, and a clutch :-) ] but never use it for that purpose. When that cable car has finally cleared the intersection, I slide my right foot off the brake a bit such that my foot engages both the brake and gas. Careful modulation allows you to let off the brake as you push on the gas. It's called "heel and toe", though in this case perhaps more accurately "ball and edge". You can use this method for matching engine revs while downshifting into corners, too.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    If you've driven in San Francisco (especially Pacific Heights), you'd know that some of those hills seem steeper than 45 degrees. Unless you were extremely confident that you're not going to stall the car, using the handbrake is highly recommended. The handbrake is also good just to take the pressure off of your right foot on the brake pedal when stopped at a light on top of one of those hills since you know just a slight momentary weakness in the knees or let up in pressure on the brake pedal will send you hurling backwards at an accelerating pace on those incredibly steep hills.
    I've been driving them San Francisco hills for 13 years, always with the method described :-)
    That's one terrain I prefer not to drive in manual. Not worth it! Too much work. LOL
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    "I35, Maxima, G35, high end Altima, and 350Z. These vehicles are starting to "overlap" one another."

The G35 and Z are unlike anything else Nissan/Infiniti offers. The Altima/Max/I35 have some overlap since they're all 4-dr front drive sedans. But even there, each has a distictly different look. The Altima is the only one offering a 4-cyl which is probably going to be it's volume leading configuration. Even the so-called Max/I35 twins don't share many, if any, body panels and the Infiniti has a much more luxurious, upscale interior. Probably the only two cars that overlap at all in terms of market segment is the "high end" Altima SE V6 and the Max SE. But, that will most likely change when the next generation Maxima comes along in a year or two.

Price overlap doesn't mean much if each car is going to attract a different buyer. Overall, I think the Altima will attract hordes of new Nissan buyers at the 20 - 25K price range. The Maxima will keep the tried and true Nissan buyers coming back for more of the sport sedan they love so much. The I35 draws on the driver who wants to be a bit more pampered then what any Nissan offers. Looks to me more like Nissan/Infiniti is just covering all of the bases. If you want to talk overlap just check out either the Toyota or Ford Truck/SUV/Crossover/Van/SportWagon/whatever... lineups. I can't even keep track of what is being offerd anymore.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Will the G-35 replace the G-20 or will they both be sold?
    It will replace the G20. No more G20.

stebu, can you think of any reason for an Infiniti shopper to choose the I35 over a G35? I can't. They're similarly priced, similarly sized, and offer similar levels of luxury, but the G35 will be an even better performer. I think I35 sales will be cannibalized by this new car.
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Infiniti says the I35 emphasis is luxury over performance and the G35 is the other way around, but I don't buy it. Recent magazine tests have said that the I35 ride is not as luxurious as its competition, so I think you're right that G35 will eat into the I35 sales.
  • anoonananoonan Member Posts: 29
    Looks like Infiniti is copying Lexus by offering a entry sporty sedan (IS300 vs. G35) and entry luxo sedan (ES300 vs I35). Not sure if it will work but who knows.

Doesn't look like the G35 will offer a rear window sunshade like the I35. Maybe one of the "perks" of the I35?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yikes! No G-20. So Nissan/Infiniti will have the Altima, Maxima, G-35 and I-30 which are the same size car with the same engine - just different packaging, and they will abandon the smaller G-20. The next step down in size is the Sentra - quite a step. I guess too many people think bigger is better. I thought the G-20 was just about right. Small enough to be nimble, big enough to fit 5 people if necessary.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I think the performance aspect of the G35 will come from its rear-wheel drive configuration and independent rear suspension. That should give the G35 better handling dynamics when compared to the I35.

I'm wondering if it'll get an optional V-8 a few years (the G45?). Should be interesting.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Great handling car, pretty nice interior. The biggest downfall of the G20...its anemic engine. If Nissan had tried to plop a good engine or at least supercharger/turbo the 4 in the G20, it would have been a smash. But Nissan's desire to make the G20 a dressy Sentra, essentially killed it from the get go.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    "...can you think of any reason for an Infiniti shopper to choose the I35 over a G35?"

Front wheel drive. Love it or hate it, there are quite a few people out there that still have to have it if the only other choice is RWD. I think this is especially true for the people who, IMHO, have been the primary I30 clientele i.e. owners of smaller Japanese FWD cars that are looking to move up scale and don't want to abandon the FWD platform or the bulletproof reputation of the Toyota/Nissan/Honda brands.

I would agree that the G35 will probably steal some I35 sales but I don't think it will be "cannibalized". More to the point, I think the G35 will do for Infiniti what the Altima is doing for Nissan. That is to bring in a steady stream of people who typically would have been shopping elsewhere. In that sense, the G35 will, in it's own small way, be cannibalizing BMW 3-series and Lexus IS300 sales more then it's I35 sibling.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    G35 buyers know and care. I35 buyers don't care and don't know FWD from RWD. I35 buyers want a "nice" car. G35 buyers want a "nasty" car. It's like the ES300 vs. the IS300. I'm sure the trim differences and maybe even rear seat leg room will be important clues to the I35 appliance buyers. They don't even test the limits. They drive into accidents instead of trying to avoid them. And G-forces are to avoided at all costs. Too crude. If the G35 steals sales from the I35, it will be a good sign that car buyers are becoming a more educated lot. I hope the G35 steals sales from BMW.
    Go over to the I35 board on Edmunds. These people do not have a clue. They would be out of place in a G35. Just a waste of good hardware. The I35 is for people who cannot afford but will be driving a Caddy SLS in the future. Or maybe a Buick Park Avenue. Ok, an Ultra if they get a wild streak.
    QUOTE: "So Nissan/Infiniti will have the Altima, Maxima, G-35 and I-30 which are the same size car with the same engine - just different packaging,......"

No, the G35 is a completely different car from the Altima and Maxima/I-35. The G-35 is based on the Nissan Skyline, a very popular car that has been sold in Japan for over 30 years but never imported to the U.S.. The G35/Skyline is RWD while the others are FWD. This makes a HUGE difference. The G35 is also very performace/handling oriented with a near 50/50 front-to-rear weight ratio. Yes, it's engine is based on the VQ V6 engine like the others, but that is the only similarity. The G35 has aluminum suspension components and some body panels and more HP. It is a closer cousin to the new 350Z sports car than the other sedans. This car will run circles around the other Nissan sedans sold in the U.S.
    It seems to me that although the G35 is price-competitive with the IS300, it is performance-competitive with the GS300 & GS430. Actually, it should blow the GS300 away and be pretty even with the GS430 even though the GS430 has 300 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque. Edmunds says the GS430 will do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds; the G35 should be able to keep up. At more than a $10,000 price difference, I think I can overlook the fact there's a V6 under the hood rather than a V8.
    If you look at the interior dimensions, the G35 is almost exactly the same as the I35 in most measurements. I thought it would be smaller, but apparently Nissan has done a good job with the packaging.

I understand the Lexus comparison, but I really don't think Infiniti has that going for them right now. The I35 is nowhere near as luxurious as the ES. It is currently marketed as a sport-lux car, whereas the ES makes no effort to be sporty and goes all out on the soft ride and pretty interior.
    Actually, if you look at the specs, the total interior volume of the G35 is bigger than that of the I35. G35 has 112 cu. ft. and I35 has 102 cu. ft.

BTW, both of these cars have more interior space than the BMW 5-series which only has 93 cu. ft. and is classified by the EPA as a Compact Car. Both the G35 and I35 are classified as Mid-Size Cars.
    G35 has 102 cu. ft. of interior space, according to Nissan. 112 would be positively huge!

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/pr_events/2002/detroit/g35/specs.html
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    FWD is the reason for continuing to sell the I35. It is that simple some people will not buy RWD. I would not expect more than two more years of the I35. FX45 will launch next spring. I35 will most likely be replace the year after that.
    On the Infiniti website for G35 specs it says the G35 has 112.8 cu. ft. of interior passenger space. Go to: http://www.infiniti.com/ms/future/g35/specs.html

Perhaps the difference is sunroof vs. no sunroof. But I can't imagine a sunroof taking up 10 cu. ft. That's more space than some trunks!

According to new C&D test, total interior volume is BMW330i - 100, Cadillac CTS - 110, Audi A4 - 101, Jaguar X-type - 106, Lexus IS300 - 94 and
    Lincoln LS - 118, almost 7 series BIG.
    Thanks for the link. My only disappointment from the specs is the single exhaust. A RWD V-6 is an easy excuse for a true dual exhaust. I think a great upgrade for a heavy breathing high output V-6 would be a dual exhaust with X-box and an additional low-restriction cat. Alex Borla will probably whip up something for the only compromise in engineering that I can see in the whole car. One pipe and one cat for a V-6 is not optimum.
    The Infiniti link's Total (ft3) 115.9
    minus Trunk (ft3) 14.5
    equals 101.4,
    which matches that of the Nissan site. But I don't know what the Passenger Compartment 112.8 refers to.

Also, as far as dual exhausts go, what they do is have dual manifolds connected to a single pipe down the middle and then split it near the back with two mufflers. The Altima SE is that way as well as the Cadillac DeVille. I'd rather have one large diameter single exhaust for the weight savings.
  • silvercoupe1silvercoupe1 Member Posts: 6
    According to MSN Carpoint, the BMW 330i has 90.8 cubic ft. passenger volume. I suppose, if you add the trunk and passeger volume together, it would be close to 100 cubic ft. Seems small for the price.
  • sterling13sterling13 Member Posts: 13
    Look for AWD to come to the G35 in early 2003.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Ever heard of the Ol' Infiniti J30? It was out from MY 1993 until MY 1997 I believe. It was rear wheel drive, and kind of sporty. It has a BMWish sounding exhaust. It was here wayyyy before the Lexus IS300 was.

Infiniti actually started the entry level luxury and entry level sporty luxury idea, NOT Lexus. Back in 1996, when the I30 was released I believe, they had the first set of near luxury sedans: THe I30(FWD) and the J30(RWD)
  • havochavoc Member Posts: 27
    I am leasing a 2001 I30 and thinking of upgrading to this car.

Talk about tempting! I love the exterior design. The interior design seems a bit less luxurious than I expected, but at least it's not IS300-barebones. I actually like the much maligned rear-end. Looks fresh, modern and different. Plus I hate when the license-plate clangs on my current I30 trunk when I close it. The G35 design will eliminate one of the pet-peeves of my current car. After this beauty comes out in March I'll make a decision to upgrade then or wait for the 6-speed to come out.
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    After meeting Dennis O'Brien who works for Thousand Oaks Infiniti at the L.A. Auto Show last week, I took the plunge today. The summers get up to 110 degrees up here so I have never liked leather. After much thought I ordered a brilliant silver with willow cloth interior. $500.00 refundable deposit (in writing) That means no fancy options like Xenon and the like but the base luxury is by no means a strippy in the first place. Dennis is very straight forward and up front. No discount off the MSRP of $27,100.00 but a written quote assuring there will be no dealer pack. Invoice on the base luxury is $24,832.00 + $545.00 shipping. The base luxury will fit my personality very well. Dennis also gave me the numbers on a premium/leather/xenon/wood/sun roof combination with an MSRP of $32,950.00 + $545.00 shipping. Invoice on that combination is $29,673.00 + $545.00 shipping. There is a very good possibility that my car will be here in mid March.
    Looks like you're the first one on this board to take the plunge! I see you're a man of action, not just words. Unfortunately, as much as I love this car, I also love driving a stick shift. So I'm going to have to refrain myself until the 6-speed comes out in the fall. I also want to see the coupe version in person when it comes out also in the fall before I buy. Since the coupe is a real possibility for me, I think it would be foolish for me to make a decision between the sedan and the coupe without seeing the actual coupe first.

Anyway, let us know how you like the car once you take delivery in mid-March (only two short months!).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The J30 wasn't sporty in the way an IS300 is. And besides, they all are aiming at the 3 series, that is the real benchmark.

Indeed it seems like they will tackle the sport segment with the G35, and the luxury segment with the next I35. The current I35 was trying to be both (I35T leaned towards sport).

I think they'll make more people happy that way. It's working for Lexus.

-juice
    That's one less car on the road blinding me with their overly-bright headlights :-) Enjoy the wait!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Norcalmike,

Can you find out the invoice prices of all the options and accessories for the new G35? I would like to know how much the invoice is on a G35 Premium, Sunroof, Winter, Wood, Xenon. I really don't know which options I really would like if I get the G35. So I want to know all prices for everything IF you could get it for me.
    Thanks in advance
    Maxamillion

Also, Congrats on your order. I am happy that you will be getting your new G35 soon!
    Nothing screams "cheese" more than a "luxury" car with simulated wood trim :-P

I'm impressed that the G35 offers real wood trim.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Eh, if plood looks real, noone knows it's not wood. However, there are some hideously fake examples of plood.

-juice
    So, if your $30k+ car has really nice vinyl (oops, sorry BMW, I mean "leatherette") seats, you won't mind that either? ;-) I guess fake is fine, just don't pretend it's luxurious.

And yeah, the plood in the Acura CL is hideous!
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    I think the G35 and the I35 will each have their own niche similar to the 3series and 5 series. The exterior of the I35 is larger than the G35, which is a reason in its self for some people to opt for the I35, also the I35 is a more luxurious looking car inside and out. Some people have to have wood trim every where, and on the door pulls will not be enough for them in the G. Also, buying a base I35 gets a nicely equipped car for $29,300(msrp), and we all know there will be discounts, and the base G35 is $28,700. When you equip a G35 as close as possible to a base I35, the MSRP is $33,495----an I35 with the options of the 33,495 G35 is $33,875, but includes sport suspension to get VDC.

Until I went to the BMW dealer, I thought the 5er was bigger than the 3, but I was very surprised to find out it was actually a little smaller interior wise. I asked my salesman why people buy the 5 over the 3 and he said most people buy the 5 for its standard features and exterior size, and don't even realize it is smaller than the 3, because the 3 looks smaller. We opted for a loaded Gray Green Metallic 330Ci convertible w/ Natural Brown leather interior(looks like a black interior, only the seats are brown---just beautiful) w/ real wood trim and 18" wheels, bi-xenons, navigation, Integrated phone(w/ a mic in the headliner and can dial on the navi screen) Nakamichi 6-disc changer and some other nice features. The MSRP was $55,645, but we were able to get it for $48,500 everything included. If a G35 convertible ever comes out, then it may replace my 330, but until then I will continue to enjoy it along with my 99 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS (GREAT CAR!!!!)

P.S. If the dealer does not have a pic of your desired car go to the cars website and cut and paste pics of the car so you can see what you are getting. My dealer didn't have any pics of the Gray green with the 18"ers so i had to use the next best option, MICROSOFT PAINT!
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    As regards interior room, not sure the overall EPA volume numbers matter all that much for most RWD cars. Due to the driveshaft tunnels running fore-aft thru the entire passenger compartment, most are really 4 seaters. Think the individual numbers for leg and knee room more important. Don't think any adult wants to sit too long in rear middle seat of any RWD car.

The G35 is supposed to have about a 112 inch wheelbase. Rather long, so that should improve interior space. Within an inch or two of new Cadillac CTS.

Owning both a '00 323iA and a '98 540iM, and having wife and two kids, have learned the BMW gets a bad rap for interior space. I'm 6'2" and both have sunroofs. We have no problem getting all 4 comfortably. This includes our luggage as well. The space-saving multi-link trunk hinges make all the difference compared to cars with supposedly bigger trunks but using the space-stealing gooseneck hinges. Trunk numbers meaningless until you know what hinges are used!

himomer... Don't forget that the current E39 5 Series was introduced in 1996 as a MY 1997. The current E46 3 Series was introduced in 1998 as a MY 1999. Each generation has tended to be larger and with more interior room than the preceeding one. The next 5 Series platform should come out in 2003, likely as a MY 2004. It will likely have a longer wheelbase and more interior room.
    <<The exterior of the I35 is larger than the G35, which is a reason in its self for some people to opt for the I35, also the I35 is a more luxurious looking car inside and out.>>

I haven't checked the actual exterior dimensions, but I was told by the Infiniti Rep at the auto show that the G35 is 4 inches longer than the I35. She adamantly stated that twice. So I believe her. Being that the G35 is 4 inches longer, I would assume that the G35 is a bit roomier. When I have time, I'll post the side by side interior/exterior comparisons between IS300, Passat, Audi 4, and 3 series (unless someone wants to volunteer for the data collection). I would bet that G35 is bigger, faster, and more bang for the buck than the competition. If the Altima V6 SE manual can do low six in 0-60, then I'm sure G35 auto can do high six in 0-60. Anything in the low 7 sec is fine with me.
    Has anyone seen the G35 Sports Coupe at www.infiniti.com? It has a sketch of the G35 coupe. It said to be sleeker, wider, and more powerful. Perhaps it will use the same engine as the new Z. I guess Infiniti is following the footsteps of BMW by charging more for the coupe. Uggh.

Norcalmike:
    Are you the same person that flew from Sacramento to LA to see the auto show. Are you also the person that cancelled the ES300 initial deposit? Man, you sure move fast! Congrats on your G35. (I'm a bit jealous. LOL). You'll have a fun drive from Thousand Oaks to Sacramento.
    According to the specs on the G35 spec sheet and in the I35 brochure, the G35 is 186.2 inches and the I35 is 193.7 inches in overall length. Therefore, the G35 is 7.5 inches SHORTER than the I35. The rep you spoke to was misinformed.

The BMW 5-series is 188 inches in length, so you can think of the G35 as being about the same exterior size as the 5-series but with much more interior space.
  • rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
    That is cheap cheap cheap...and 45 more hp then the lex IS300, 35 more then the BMW 330, rear wheel drive...omg I like this thing...probably the only japanese luxery car I would consider...
    only downside is the rear looks just like a toyota paseo, or nissan pulsar..
    Since I buy a car for what's underneath (inner beauty), The G35 looks beautiful. Here in San Diego, I see hoardes of Hondas with cut springs and added fiberglass gingerbread going "low and slow", slowing to go over a drainage swale in a mall parking lot that is 1" deep. I guess I'm supposed to admire these 20 mph wonders for their looks as I try to get around them in the right lane. Worse than SUVs and RVs in clogging up the roads.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Don't ya think we're jumping the gun an awful lot? One might think the G35 was the best car ever. But has anyone driven one? Anyone read a real review of an actual production model in automotive press? Has everyone forgotten you can NOT get it initially with a manual transmission? Unless and until there is a decent manual transmission option with a great sport package, I'd rather have a Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5-speed manual or Nissan Maxima SE 6-speed manual. RWD automatic-only performance sport sedan is an oxymoron.
This discussion has been closed.