Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dgackeydgackey Member Posts: 4
    Use ZAG.com and get quotes, then try Fernandez Honda in San Antonio. They gave me a starting quote via email that was better than any of the other local dealers, but was still only a few hundred bucks lower than MSRP (on a Touring).

Basically the demand on these vehicles is consistent and the supply is TERRIBLE here in TX, so these guys know they can command a premium and there's no incentive NOT to sell them at a premium. It's irritating but your choices are either to go buy something else, go out of state, or get a personal 'in' with a salesperson who's willing to make you a deal...
  • albertocalbertoc Member Posts: 5
    So Far Fernandez Honda and Victory Honda gave me the best up front deals. I can understand that for a Touring it is difficult to get a deal since not all dealers have them in stock and the few that have them in stock, they only have one or two, The same goes for the EX or the LX, there are few. but EX-L, every dealer have at least one of those, and sometimes they have 5 or 7 in stock. Howdy Honda is one of those with many in stock.
    I will try ZAG.com. Thanks.
  • realhawkerrealhawker Member Posts: 30
    I used this site- was not able to get any real price quotes - just tons of template emails from dealers, trying to schedule me to come in. What a waste - and now I am spammed. I can't beleive they think I will respond to their automated emails- yeah right.
  • squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    Babsmiller, I got a similar call from someone locally that I've bought two previous Ody's from. Looking at the Lease thread, it seems they've dropped the money factor for May, and I saw something about low rate financing on consumer guide automotive.

However, neither of those is exactly earthshaking, nor would explain the sales activity, so I'd be curious if there's money in the trunk on these also. Anyone know anything?
  • dgackeydgackey Member Posts: 4
    That's lame, both dealers I got via Zag sent quotes, though only one was less than MSRP. I also tried Costco but it said there weren't any participating dealers in my area when I selected Honda.
  • pacdecimalpacdecimal Member Posts: 39
    Got a quote from Bay Area dealer for EX-L with RES ($34,200). Is this pretty good deal, and what's the main difference in rear view camera of RES vs. NAV (multi-view)?

And, any other options that I should include such as senors, roof racks and other minor things that I don't see on Edmunds.

Thanks.
  • solpangsolpang Member Posts: 6
    Got a quote from DC area for EX-L without NAV / RES ($32000 including destination). Is this a good deal? Thanks.
  • merc430merc430 Member Posts: 3
    Did you get a written quote from the dealer? if so, do you mind forwarding the quote?
    How did you get the quote?
    I can not get anything below $33,000 for EX-L without NAV / RES in central Texas, Even one dealer got nasty when I insisted on a $32,000 offer.
    In may, Honda started offering 1.9% financing on the Odyseey, and that offer was not available in March. Most likely that is the "Incentive" they are talking about.
  • hairmechanichairmechanic Member Posts: 15
    dealer quoted me $31300. i haven't decided on a odyssey or sienna. driven hondas and acuras all my life and enjoy the aggressive rides as opposed to the cushy toyotas.

also wondering if Ex-L with Nav is worth the 2 extra grand.
  • babsmillerbabsmiller Member Posts: 20
    Anyone know which dealers in So Cal charge a HDAG advertising fee and which don't?
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Shop around in other states - I've found prices several thousand less than MSRP - If it were me, and I could save $3000 - I would spend the day traveling and buy out of state!
  • va_chva_ch Member Posts: 3
    do you mind sharing the name of the DC area dealer and Sales person.
  • ramtramt Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    I am planning to buy 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L. What is the best on the road price dealers are offering? I live in Edison, NJ. Any good dealers around? I am looking for a price around $32,500.00.

I would appreciate any inputs or advise!

Thanks!
  • reffredreffred Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a exl w nav, and let me say, save your money. The Nav is not worth it. After a week of use, not finding addresses in 'unverified areas' I believe I will stick my tomtom to the windshield. What a waste of 1K bucks. Also check out the cost of updates. for the 150 to get updated maps, you will be able to buy a new better unit off the shelf.
  • merc430merc430 Member Posts: 3
    Do you mind sharing the price breakdown of your puchase? And thanks for sharing your experience with the navigation system.
    I'm picking it up tomorrow - pretty good price from what I can tell based on what others have gotten on this forum. Maybe one or two people got it $200 cheaper, but I can live with it. More features than I needed, but I really wanted the Blind Spot Info System, and we'll keep this for 10 years at least.

$40437
    sales tax $2428
    tags $118
    document fee $199 (probably a bogus charge, but still a good price, so I'm not gonna worry about it at this point)
    OTD $43,181 :)

This car is getting harder and harder to find, and I figure dealers are going to start getting MSRP again like they did back in the day as supply and demand start playing into it.
    sorry you had to find out the hard way about the Nav. It';s the same stupid Nav on the acuras and it's hard to believe the honda techies didn';t road test this b.s. pioneer system - must have been a tradeoff they were willing to make. I'm however torn between having the multiview backup or not.

with regards to pricing in MA, im finding the mom and pop dealerships have the best prices and will put their best foot forward. the biggies like herb chambers and boch are however hogging all the inventory with ridiculous opening prices.
    I am trying to but an EX-L and I emailing several dealerships in Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio and surrounding areas), and I am trying to negotiate a good deal, and look what response I got from Howdy Honda when I mentioned this forum. These guys still live in the 80's. They have several EX-L in stock and they are not willing to lower the price up. Many dealerships that I have contacted offer better price at the FIRST email. Don't waste your time whit this dealership.

This is the response when I mentioned the deals in this forum:

"If there is a forum out there that you can actually purchase the vehicle from, I would suggest to do so, that is if they have any Odyssey's left at that price.
    Internet Sales Assistant Manager"
    :confuse:
    (I had to re-post. original pors was removed because I added the Salesperson name and Phone)
    The sales guy is right - You shouldn't mention the forums when you are price negotiating - only other dealerships that have given you pricing on the model you want. The forum is here to share the prices we got, to use for evaluating pricing you receive- not as leverage to show to a dealer.
  • gosaintsgosaints Member Posts: 18
    $40,550 ($40,370 + $180 doc fee)
    Smoky Topaz / Truffle
    Order placed pre-tsunami, ETA late May
    The sales guy is right? I am not a Business man but this is a negotiation process and there are no written rules on stone. The dealer will perfectly now that the great offers are out of state and that nobody in TX is offering that price, so if the dealer is smart will not match the price since he/she knows that I will need to go trough all the out of state hazard to get the car at that price.
    All the rest of the dealers come back with offers in the 33Kto 34K range looking forward to get my business, and no ironic responses.
    Also I appreciate the response from Howdy Honda. It seems that it was bad call from a sales person, and they really care about their image.
  • nayigadinayigadi Member Posts: 9
    HI Desertkev,

Can you please share name of the dealer and any contact there ?

Thanks
    Philipsburg NJ - Ask for Doris in Internet Sales - may not get a price that good as there really does seem to be less and less of these Elites. I found a cheaper price, but no car, so I was not willing to take a gamble anymore - the car is one sweet ride - I'd compare it to the Mercedes R Class, only bigger, better and cheaper!!!

If I was in TX and going to be able to buy one for $3k less in NJ, I would get me a cheap flight in and buy one on the East Coast. If it takes you a few days in travel, it's worth it - unless you make more than $3k a week at work.
  • jctivojctivo Member Posts: 4
    see 2787 page to see what I did and price breakdown. Good luck.
  • mziehrmziehr Member Posts: 1
    Per instructions from Forums Director, we cannot state our name or solicit the customer. We have contacted the customer directly to offer our apologies. Yes this is regretable because we understand how important the forums are to customers.

This should have never gotten to this point. The customer should have received a first email from the dealership with pricing - that way dialogue could have continued between customer and dealership until a mutally agreed upon price was negotiated.

As many customers throughout Central Texas have discovered, the sales managers of the aboved stated dealership are always willing to meet with customers to discuss a mutually fair price for a 2011 Honda Odyssey EXL or EXL RES. As everyone knows the supply of these mini vans is very limited, but even with that extreme problem many customers have been getting fair deals at this dealership.
  • dsugandhidsugandhi Member Posts: 2
    Can you please let me know which dealer quote you this price? I am in CT, but willing to travel MA for right price.

Thanks,
  • myodyssey11myodyssey11 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased Honda Odyssey EXL with no navigation or RES

Price 31,985
    VA tax 965.52
    Doc Fee 199.00
    Title, Lice & Reg 125.12

No accessories included.

I got this from Harrisonburg.

I followed the following steps:
    1. Got AAA car pricing (goes through zag.car) for all the zipcodes in VA (for zipcodes where honda dealers exist).
    2. Tried locally with 2 dealers to see if they would match to the lowest price. Initially, they said they would. But when I went to them, they started from square one saying the van I am looking for is not in stock in Harrisonburg.
    3. I was in a rush, so didn't negotiate much and got it from Harrisonburg.
    4. Did not buy the Honda care from Harrisonburg Dealer as it was too expensive from them. Got it from Hyannis Honda.
    5. Will order some all weather mats online.
  • myodyssey11myodyssey11 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased Honda Odyssey EXL with no navigation or RES

Price 31,985
    VA tax 965.52
    Doc Fee 199.00
    Title, Lice & Reg 125.12

No accessories included.

I got this from Harrisonburg, va

I followed the following steps:
    1. Got AAA car pricing (goes through zag.car) for all the zipcodes in VA (for zipcodes where honda dealers exist).
    2. Tried locally with 2 dealers to see if they would match to the lowest price. Initially, they said they would. But when I went to them, they started from square one saying the van I am looking for is not in stock in Harrisonburg.
    3. I was in a rush, so didn't negotiate much and got it from Harrisonburg.
    4. Did not buy the Honda care from Harrisonburg Dealer as it was too expensive from them. Got it from Hyannis Honda.
    5. Will order some all weather mats online.

May Not be the best price, but didn't had to deal with all the negotiations.
    can you pls share the name of the dealership and location? thanks
    Thanks!! Will give them a call tomorrow.

My brother lives in NJ. Maybe he can have it shipped to me :)
  • ohmy3ohmy3 Member Posts: 14
    They did disclose the hail damage and said that everything was fixed and it was fine; however, the dealership apparently didn't really look over the vehicle prior to sending it to me. There were hail dents in the chrome around the windows that were overlooked, the hail repair company didn't align the headliner properly so there are gaps along the sliding door and around the fixtures in the car, gashes in the plastics where they tried to pry the headliner away... All the fault of the hail damage repair company. If I had gotten to see the vehicle in person at the dealership, I could have avoided the long distance dispute. I don't have a problem with the dealership, but I have to describe the damages, send pictures, send estimates for repairs, etc -- all of which takes time and would have been easier if it was in person and gotten it fixed directly. So I would recommend that if it's disclosed to you that your car was damaged in any way prior to sending to you, that it would be worth it to physically see the car or send someone you trust.

As for shipping, when the transporter picks up your car, he will look over the outside of the car and report any damage. Then, when the car gets to you, you inspect the outside of the vehicle for any damages. If there was any damage that you find that wasn't on the transporter's report, then you can assume it was damaged during transport and take it up with the transporter. Hopefully, the company you go with for shipping is reputable and insured/bonded. Everything else, as in my case with the interior, I took to my local Honda dealership.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • ohmy3ohmy3 Member Posts: 14
    I am just now getting a chance to post this... Last month, I had a dark cherry red touring elite that was supposed to come in. When the shipment got to the dealership, it was a brown color van instead. The salesperson said he called Honda to ask why didn't the red come in. They told him that they were having probs with the red paint fading so they pulled all the red cars off the shipments for that time period. I don't know what time range it was, but just wanted to warn you guys in case you are in the market for the dark cherry red.
    I saw maybe one dark cherry in my searches the past month - so it might be true. Or it's a popular color and they are going fast.
  • knukalaknukala Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jctivo,

I see that you have purchased 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L for price $33248 (OTD). I am looking for same deal. Can I get any info (like vin# or something for proof) from you and I will show that info to the dealer?

Thanks
    nkk
  • jctivojctivo Member Posts: 4
    Knukala,

I suggest emailing many of the delearships as I did and then pit them against each other. Then when you are done, get Sheehy to beat or match it. I always wondered if I had changed the offer from Lynchburg Honda to a lower price, would they have matched it. Or called Lynchburg. They said it was almost too good and that they were going to call but didn't. Maybe they were just blowing smoke up my tailpipe.

I could send you an email with my offer from Lynchburg Honda which Sheehy ended up matching but I think that's against the rules of the forum (whatever that means). Also, your profile is private so I couldn't do that.

Good luck.

jctivo
    I heard you got the van!
    or you could direct the dealer to read these forums instead of doing that work, as Albertoc thinks is a wise idea.
  • kittukittu Member Posts: 1
    Can you please share the dealer name and location ?
  • rob1601rob1601 Member Posts: 4
    The last guy I asked about the final price he neglected to tell me it has hail
  • cyoudamancyoudaman Member Posts: 1
    Hi jctivo,

I was actually at the dealership (Galpin in S. Cali) and showed them this thread to match the deals that you guys got. They initially said "You have a deal", but later on when we were about to initiate the paper work, they came back with different number, a lot higher than what jctivo received. So I walked away, and learned that they do this all the time to other people as well. So. showing this thread and info on the price to the dealers may not work.

So, can you please forward me your email from Lynchburg Honda that had $31300 for EX-L?
    I also enabled my profile to show my email.

And can someone confirm if it is or is not against the rule of this forum if I receive an forwarded email from a person who got a decent (or one of the best) deals from dealerships? I assume the purpose of this forum is not only to share the vehicle purchasing experience to help each other out?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Make your e-mail "public" in your profile, and you can do whatever you want... lol...

But, please... do not post your e-mail address in the forums!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

atamian honda. they only have a black/gray coming in. fyi, they are a typical high-pressure dealership - the price may not hold but i guess if you're close enough MA border, it may be worth a drive.

if aliens visited the earth and the first people they meet were car dealers, they would probably turn around and high tail it out of here.
  • pacdecimalpacdecimal Member Posts: 39
    Absolutely. I've sent out 14 request via e-mail to Bay Area Honda dealers and 6 responded (Serramonte, Grace, Anderson, SF, Marin and Oakland) with Serramonte being the first one, they quoted $34,288 for EX-L with RES, $32,688 for EX-L and $34,588 for EX-L with Nav. Grace and SF Honda matched that offer after I told them of Serramonte's offer (they wanted a printout of the offer), but I added roof racks, roof cross rails, backup sensor, mud flaps and side mouldings. Honda of Oakland wanted full retail, so I eliminated them quickly, although at least they responded, as all would not budge toward spectacular prices that some have paid for the 2011 Odyssey (salesman kept stating those prices aren't realistic).

As I was negotiating with Serramonte, I've called SF Honda based on another post here with spectacular price ($34,441) paid for similar added features. Well that got shot down within 2 second. I've offered $35,400 and SF Honda never called me back. Serramonte didn't have the right color and wasn't going to go lower to my price level. So, in desperate measure I've e-mailed Marin Honda again and the salesmen (Shawn), who was very courteous matched that offer, but the car had to be in stock. I would highly recommend Honda of Marin, as most dealers would not even respond to any offer that's not realistic in current condition.

Good luck.
  • trvlrtrvlr Member Posts: 5
    I've had my Odyssey Touring for over 2 months. Was watching the aftermath of the tsunami in the dealer's showroom the evening I picked it up. I love this vehicle except for the RES. I'd prefer to be able to listen to the radio while the backseat riders watch whatever without them needing to use headsets. But I know that's not practical. I love the navigation system, although it took a while for me to get used to it. I had just purchased a new Garmin system in December, so I had a newer model. But I really like features available on the Honda Navi. My favorite thing is the backup camera. Backing into a parking space is a bit like coloring in the lines. I am getting very good gas mileage--27mpg average on my 24-mile daily one-way commute with freeway/city mix. I previously drove an Acura CL and was sad to give it up, but I don't miss it at all. This van handles nearly as well as my little sports car. My friend was a die-hard Toyota fan, but she took a drive in my Odyssey and went out and bought one for herself. My main reason for buying the Touring instead of the EX-L was for the 6-speed transmission. I'm hoping that when I'm ready to buy again, the 6-speed transmission will be offered on the EX-L as that will be my choice as long as I can get my backup camera, also.
  • intiperuintiperu Member Posts: 2
    picked up my Touring today.

37858 (incl destination + doc fee)

+ VA tax tags title.
    Navi is good as long as you don't expect the Points of Interests to work or should i say expect to find what you need within a 200 mile radius.:)
  • va_chva_ch Member Posts: 3
    Finally was able to buy the Odyssey Ex-L Crystal Black from Heritage Honda at Westminster MD. Absolutely fantastic experience with the Dealership sales person. No surprices

Here is the break down of all the fees and taxes

$32,656.00=internet sale price including destination charge with dealer installed installed Wheel Locks , Splash Guards, and a Pin Stripe on the Car.
    $99.00=dealer process fee
    $1,965.30=Md taxes ,6%
    $274.00=Md fees, new title and tags
    $34,994.30=total on the road price

Might not have got the best price but I am happy with the outcome. The dealership was able to get me 2.49% financing for 60 months.

A
    First, I'd like to thank desertkey who told me about Phillipsburg Easton Honda in NJ.

I just paid for a Touring Elite (white + truffle) and having it shipped to Frisco, TX.

Price: 40946 (incl splash guards, wheel locks and body side molding)
    Doc fee: 199
    Total to dealer: 41155

Costing me $1100 to ship open carrier (top load) with DAS.

Total cost: 42255 + (tax 6.25% + title)

Beats the prices I am getting from dealers in the DFW metroplex.

pehonda has been great to work with. Hope the shipping goes well - cant wait to drive it.

Good luck to those still looking.