Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Repair dent or keep the check?

jsonicjsonic Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Volkswagen
I received a check for $1200 to fix a dent on my passenger side door of 2000 Passat. I plan on selling this car next year. Should I fix the car or keep the cash? Will the resale price fall by more than $1200?

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Fix the dent!

Yes, it will devalue your car. Most appraisers in order to protect themselves will guess high on the repair. They might deduct 2000.00 for instance.

And...every time you see that dent, it'll tick you off. Get it fixed.
  • Options
    gonzo0903gonzo0903 Member Posts: 7
    Fix the dent! Would you buy a dented car? I don't think so!
  • Options
    cutehumorcutehumor Member Posts: 137
    I'm a claims adjuster. Fix the car! I like to think my hard work wasn't for nothin especially all the hastle I have to take. LOL
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Why risk the chips and dings that will occur over the next year? Bank the check for a year and have it done just before you are ready to sell. If you were going to keep it I would say do it now.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The cost of repair will probably go up.

Besides, would you want to look at an ugly dent for a year?
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    you get an "A" for having the brain. best answer of all. bank the cash for the year, get a little bit on the interest, and look for an autobody person wanting to make some cash moonlighting.
    now that's a no brainer.
  • Options
    naive2bootnaive2boot Member Posts: 1
    I'm another claims adjuster...on a 2000 get it fixed if you plan to trade it in...also,if any kind of additional damage if found ...it's better done now than later. Do you have a lienholder? if you do, you gotta fix it. And, if you live in the part of the USA I do...watch out for rust.
    Also, you won't be paid again for the same dents on your vehicle...or at least you shouldn't be.
This discussion has been closed.