Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• boondoxboondox Member Posts: 3
    My name is Pete. I live in the woods of northern Vermont with my wife, five golden retrievers, a small flock of sheep and several chickens. My 02 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 sees hard work hauling firewood, hay, animals, compost...and plowing snow in the winter months. Aside from installing the plow and a better set of shocks with timbrens, my Chevy is stock. Great ride, great handling on our bumpy dirt roads, and so far I haven't found a chore it couldn't handle.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I have '99 x cab 5.3 been around since late '98.
    Truck has been good other than a few recall items(antilock brakes,fuel pump,window operator. After 5 years the 5.3l has been good for me 16mpg avg. Glad I got one with two power buckets.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I've been on Edmunds for a while now, but just bought my first Silverado in October. I've been through all the topics I can find on it since then, and thought I'd better say "Hi".

2004 5.3l Silverado Z-71 extended cab,Arrival Blue, black flares / body moldings, auto climate control, onstar, XM, tow kit, 3.73 / locker, Rhinoliner bedliner, Wade bedrail covers, bugflector II bug shield.

I plan to add stainless tube steps, GM hard folding tonneau, and in-channel window visors sometime next spring, but otherwise gonna keep 'er stock.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Congrats on the new truck!!
  • mickomicko Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any comments about a 94 chevy 1500 Diesel?
    anyone ever owned one of these?
    Just looking for some feedback, good or bad, as I am considering the purchase from my pop.

Mick O.
    Does anyone have any comments? It's a 94.
    Does anyone have any experience with these? What's your feedback Please?
    Sorry micko, no experience with the early-mid 90's diesels. All of my family has tended to own 1/2 ton gassers. (including a '72 K1500 standard cab longbox, a '77 Cheyenne standard cab longbox, an '89 1500 standard cab longbox, a '92 1500 standard cab longbox, '97 extended cab shortbox Z-71, a '98 regular cab shortbox Z-71, and now two '04 extended cab shortbox Z-71's. Ask about some of those models, and I'll have some input... yup. My family loves them Chevy's! :D)
  • nathanmnathanm Member Posts: 8
    proud owner of a 98 Z71 ext. cab with tinted windows 4" cowl hood chrome step rails & bed rails.riding on a set of 33x12.50s
  • sharky00slvrdsharky00slvrd Member Posts: 3
    Hello everybody. I am new here on this site and it is my first time subscribing to a discussion forum. So far I gotten help when needed. Anyway...

Just to introduce what I ride. I have a 2000 Ext. cab Silverado with a 5.3L V8. I call it "sharky" because it has blue with pewter on the bottom like a great white shark (kinna). It is an automatic with 2WD and with leather interior. I have owned it for almost three years (baught it used). It has worked great...Chevy as definitely won my 100% approval for Silverados.

Being a college student, I have limited money to invest on it. However, I have added some extras little by little. My latest addition (less than a week ago) was a set of 20" wheels with 305/50 tires. I put a DVD player where the small cassette player went. So now I have the original CD player and DVD player. I connected a playstation 1 to the DVD player and put a drop down TV. I have a small amp and some cheap woofers that make good music for my purpose. I also put some 40 series Flowmasters (one outlet) and it sounds great went taking off but not annoying when cruising. I also put a K&N filter in it.

I take good care of it by changing the fluids on schedule and add some Restore fluid to wake up some extra ponies.

My plan now is to fix a small rip that one seat has. Then buy some chrome step bars and fog lights (I burned my own with 100 watt bulbs). I also want to lift it 2" from the front or maybe around. What do ya'll think? Thank for reading about my truck. Any question or suggestion? I will be happy to answer... Art
  • durrantrdurrantr Member Posts: 1
    juest got rid of a 96 f150 v6 and am an owner of a 94 silverado 4.8L. Love the extra power! put a sony in-dash in already and am working on a security system before i put in subs and an amp. i plan on doing small things like K & N filter, flowmaster exhaust, etc but i am a college student with no money. Any suggestions on some good mods?
    as the 4.8 was introduced in '99.
  • joe29001joe29001 Member Posts: 48
    The 94 f150 wasn't available with a V6. The V6 option was dropped in the early eighties, and didn't return until 1997 in the new body style F150.
  • simplyradsimplyrad Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I own a 2001 Chevy Silverado c/k3500 Crew Cab, LongBed, Dual Rear Wheels, 8.1L 496 ci, 4x4 with Allison Transmission. Just looking for other trucks like mine. I am having a hard time finding other trucks like mine and am wondering about production numbers/builds of these fine trucks.

Small modifications have been made on my truck. My truck page is located here.

Chat with you all later! I'm gonna look around some more.
    Welcome to the forum!!

Do you have any problems parking that boat? Just curious....

You are right as I rarely if ever seen that configuration with the gas motor. Most all of them have the duramax.
  • simplyradsimplyrad Member Posts: 2
    LoL, I prefer to call it half of my land yacht.

Yeah, sometimes I have problems parking. Living in Southern California, I have sort of become anti-compact parking. Businesses are trying to squeeze many compact cars into small lots and forget about full-size vehicles. The turning radius is not that great being extra long so, most of the time I park out and away. I somewhat prefer this so my beauty does not get banged up by ignorant folk.

Nonetheless, still looking for other trucks like mine and I am wondering how many of them were built. Actually, I have only seen one other truck having the same year and configuration. Link to other truck like mine. How rare is my truck?
    I've seen two. One black and one white that I can remember. I've always like duallies and often pciture leaving a fender behind at the drive thru at McD's....

I haven't seen any sites that breakdown the light truck sales into the different catagories. You might check here for a few more owners of your type of truck.....
  • chstr1000chstr1000 Member Posts: 32
    My name is David. I live in Jefferson City, MO and own a 02' Silverado 1500 4x4 LT ext. cab Z71 short bed. It is light pewter metallic w/graphite leather interior. My truck has the 5.3 w/auto and about 125,000 miles. It runs and drives super smooth even with the high miles. It's mostly stock with a few accessories like bugshield, ventvisors, fiberglass running boards, Rhino liner, Flowmaster dual exhaust, and a K&N air filter.
    I do have some of the common silverado problems, but all in all, this truck is really a nice vehicle.
  • socaljoesocaljoe Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I own a 2003 Silverado 4.8 ext. cab. It was bought new in Sept of 2002. It now has 54k miles on it. Mods are Procomp 7" lift, Procomp 33" tires, American Eagle 16" wheels, Procomp MX-6 adjustable shocks, re-geared to 4.10, K&N filter, Diablo Sport programmed chip, Wolfliner spray-on bedliner. I haven't had any problems with this truck, not even minor ones. I tow my toys (2 seadoos) with it, and I keep up the maintenance and use Mobil synthetic every oil change. To today, the truck still runs smoot and strong(knock on wood)
  • dre7dre7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, people, my name is Andre and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I'm new to this forum as I am only a recent owner of a 99 Sierra, I wanted a Silverado cause the name sounds better, but it's the same truck so I'm not worried. I've worked with truck many years at work but I'm a first time truck owner so I'll be asking alot of dumb questions. First off, what exactly does a Z-71 model truck have that the others don't? I'd like to know exactly so I can start making changes to my truck. Anyways, that's all for now, I've got other questions but I'll kepp it simple to start. :D
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    Hi- I don't own a Silverado/Sierra, but I'm considering one. My question is: I want to tow a travel trailer. A mid size. Would I be better to get the higher numerical rear end ratio or stick with the normal one? Would fuel mileage suffer with the higher ratio, or would it make so little difference it wouldn't matter?

:confuse:
  • joe29001joe29001 Member Posts: 48
    Go with the lowest gears available (4.10 on most models). Your mileage will likely be better around town and when towing (slightly worse on the highway, empty).
  • wes06wes06 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a lot of disscussion on this subject back in '01. I just bought an '06 Sierra 1500 Crew Cab. There is a bouncing in the rear end when I hit a slight bump in the highway at pretty much any speed. Is this still a problem for GM? Did they ever come up with a solution?
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    Sorry I haven't responded for a while. Been a little busy. Thanx for your input on the numerical gears.
  • bobby45bobby45 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Z71
    I have always changed my oil and filter but had somone else do the grease jobs. I would like to start the grease jobs myself but I don't want to miss any fittings as there are many. Can anyone tell me where I can find a drawing/diagram
    of the greas fittings on this truck?

Thanks, BW
  • mike614mike614 Member Posts: 7
    Hi....
    I am in the process of ordering a new 2007 1500 GMC Sierra. I was going to upgrade the exhaust system to a Cat-Back touring version. Supposedly it has throaty purr. Is this true, does anyone know what it sounds like, and does any one have this system? I don’t want an extremely loud system, but something that makes a nice sound.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Get ya a set of flowmasters for that perfect sound. My buddy has em' on his Silverado. ;)

Rocky
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A local U.S. newspaper is looking to interview buyers who recently purchased a half-ton truck and understand what factors you considered before making your purchase. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, February 6, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.
  • mike614mike614 Member Posts: 7
    Ok thanks for the info..

mike
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    No problem...... :)

Rocky
  • funfulllifefunfulllife Member Posts: 3
    Hello everybody ....
    I have a 2005 Silverado, Crew Cab, 3500 , 4WD. As I intend to use this vehicle only on road, I'm interested in converting it to accomodate just one wide tire at each side in the back. Does anyone know of any readily available kit or of a way to do this modification? Thanks ahead ....
  • treehuggerjaketreehuggerjake Member Posts: 14
    I am considering purchasing a 2007 pickup, half ton. I need the larger double cab, full double cab. I will need to use the back seat often for kids and dogs. I want the truck to be able to tow 7,500 pounds, perhaps a little more. I would prefer as good gas mileage as possible. I want the truck to last for years and across the 100,000 mile mark without major repairs.

What do you suggest?
    Considering you asked this in a GM truck forum, I hope you won't be surprised when I say get a Silverado (or a GMC, obviously). From what I can remember of a recent comparison I did between the 07 Crew Cab (w/tow package) and the available Ford / Toyota alternatives, the Silverado was the best in exactly the combination you say you want. I didn't check out the Nissan Titan's specs, so maybe you'll want to check into that too.
This discussion has been closed.