Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

Comments

• wdpwdp Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1993 silverado 1500 4x4. It recently stopped going into 4-wheel drive. I can shift like normal but it is not actually engaging. I was told that it was the 4-wheel drive sensor that is gone. What does this sensor do and where is it located?
  • ccobbccobb Member Posts: 1
    I have two 1999 Silverados one a 1500 with a 5.3L and the other a 2500 with the 6.0L. The exhaust manifold bolts on the left and right banks are broken off. The Chevy dealer charges over $450/labor plus parts on each bank provided that they dont have to pull the head off. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. if you have, notify Chevrolet in Detroit (1-800-222-1020) because this should be a recall but Chevrolet is playing it down like it is not a problem, and i know for a fact that there are more trucks with this problem than mine. Here are the steps to Customer service:

STEP ONE -- Discuss your concern with a member of dealership management. Normally, concerns can be quickly resolved at that level. If the matter has already been reviewed with the Sales, Service, or Parts Manager, contact the owner of the dealership or the General Manager.

STEP TWO -- If, after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center by calling 1-800-222-1020. (In Canada, contact GM of Canada Central Office in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777: English, or 1-800-263-7854: French.)

We encourage you to call the toll-free number, listed above, in order to give your inquiry prompt attention. Please have the following information available to give the Customer Assistance Representative:

Your name, address, home and business telephone numbers
    Vehicle Identification Number (This is available from the vehicle registration, title, or the plate above the left top of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield.)
    Dealership name and location
    Vehicle's delivery date and present mileage
    Nature of concern.
    When contacting Chevrolet, please remember that your concern will likely be resolved in the dealership, using the dealer's facilities, equipment and personnel. That is why we suggest you follow STEP ONE first if you have a concern.
  • silverado01silverado01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado and want to install an in dash cup holder in place of the cover but not sure it will work since my truck came without a pull out drink holder. Chevy dealer says they are not sure it will work but maybe. Can anyone help me out before I buy one?
    Will the 4-wheel drive actuator from a 96 Yukon work in a 93 Silverado 1500? The 93 Silverado had the older thermally activated type actuator while the 96 Yukon has the newer electrically activated type. I understand that the wiring may be different. If the actuator would work, what would has to be done to make the wiring adapt?
  • bgunnz15bgunnz15 Member Posts: 6
    Hey how is it going... i have a 2001 Chevy 4.3... my check engine light showed up and i hooked it uo to the machine.. COde P1416 came up... How can i fix this problem? and is it difficult? PLease help!!! Thank You
  • bigchevybennybigchevybenny Member Posts: 2
    imageI HAVE 2000 SILVERADO XTRA CAB LIFTED W/34 BFs a/t LOOKS BITCHIN AND PERFORMS AWSOME :shades:
    The 4WD in my 93 Silverado 1500 will not engage. I checked the actuator at the front rear-end. It is working. I can hear the actuator motor operating when I shift from 2WD to 4WD and back. I have also removed the actuator and confirmed it works. Also, when I shift to 4WD, the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front end engages. I cannot turn it by hand but can when it is in 2WD. The light indicators on the shift console do not come on. Any ideas what might be going on?
  • mrmarksmrmarks Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 four wheel drive silver that doesn't want to steer very well when warmed up steers hard left or right replaced the pump and cant tell whats wrong with it any help or ??????
  • draganovdraganov Member Posts: 1
    2000 5.3L Silverado, Z71. My driver side window no longer goes down. I push the button and only hear a click sound. Of course I checked the fuses, but they check good. I have a feeling it is the switch and not the motor in the door, but am not sure. Anybody got anything?
  • dlovesbdlovesb Member Posts: 34
    I had the same problem. It isn't the switch on the door. It is the door motor for the window. The cable inside had probably broke. You can buy a new motor for 50-75 dollars. All it takes is four bolts and clipping on the new motor. It is easy to fix. Try to buy the motor anywhere but from the dealer. They will soak you. David. ps. Let me know how you make out. :)
  • achieftimachieftim Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 1500 silverado - can't locate fuse that covers area for chime when key left in ignition - need to find out where it is and named - thanks
    :D I own a 99 silverado. The two main fuse box locations are on the driver's side instrument panel on the dash. Also under the hood, huge black box. I had bought the HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL at my local autozone parts store. It is loaded with info. My truck has several locations under the steering column for fuses and clips as the book shows. If this doesn't help buy the book. It is worth the 10-15 dollars. It has helped me alot. David.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. We ask that you check the new discussions that you can find at the Group page, linked below. This discussion will not be closed/deleted, so you can still post and search for information in it.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • crash269crash269 Member Posts: 9
    My 02 Z71 with the 5.3 has started burning about 1-1.5 quarts every 3000 miles. I've changed the oil every 3k religiously...no water in the oil or any other visible problem. Does anybody have any ideas? I've tried to search the message boards and haven't found much info. I'm not really wanting to have to rebuild the top end when everything else is supposed to be good for 100k. The dealer says it's within spec. Switching to a heavier weight oil didn't help. Thanks.
    The first thing I did when I bought my 99 used z71 was to switch to amsoil. It is the best and you only change your oil once a year as well as the oil filter. Look up the website. Been doing it for years. Best investment. Check out the data on it. David. :)
  • lil_elil_e Member Posts: 6
    Just got a 92 silverado what would be the best way to start fixeng it up
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Here is a short video of my magnaflow muffler I had put on last yr. I finally got hi-tech and bought a camcorder

Hows everyone? Anyone still around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrtVeRrg-Vo
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    LOL!! Bad habits are hard to break.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    yep 1st time

Where is everyone?

Still have the titan?
    and yes still driving the titan
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I have been searching the internet to determine the turning radius on my 2000 Sierra 1500 but haven't been able to find anything. Any ideas where I can find this type of info?
  • jd4irishjd4irish Member Posts: 3
    I dont have that exact problem but maybe you can help me. The pass. side tailgate cable is half-way severed because of rust. When I found out about the recall for this isssue I took my truck down and they said that my vehicles history reported that they were already replaced (obviously they arent). How do you think I could get someone with authority to pay attention to the fact the my "stainless steel tailgate cables" are so rusted that 6 or so single strand wires hold one side of my tailgate up.

thanks
    "Red"
  • nozrydr1nozrydr1 Member Posts: 4
    Go to GM.com. and email them directly, I had a problem with a gas line that the dealer would not cover under my warranty, but after I emailed G.M. they took care of the problem.
    Thanx. I'll give it a shot.
  • tkeeler79tkeeler79 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just bought a used 1500 LT. It is a really nice truck, however as I was following my wife home (she was driving the truck) I noticed that the left rear wheel did not line up with the left front wheel. The right side looks good! What is the problem here? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Nice truck! I have one that is sharp. If you can see the side of the truck while driving behind it, that means it's been in an accident ant hte frame could be off. The other thing is that the rear tire on that side might be slightly wider? Lokk underneath as well to see if someone had done anything with the axle like a repair. If you have any pics of the truck send them to me.dlovesbeck@comcast.net. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A local U.S. newspaper is looking to interview buyers who recently purchased a half-ton truck and understand what factors you considered before making your purchase. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, February 6, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    U.S. automakers struggle; Japanese thrive
    GM says car and light truck sales fall 20 percent in January from year-ago period; Ford also shows big declines.
    OUCH...............
  • mike614mike614 Member Posts: 7
    Hi....
    I am in the process of ordering a new 2007 1500 crew cab GMC Sierra. I was going to upgrade the exhaust system to a Cat-Back touring version. Supposedly it has throaty purr. Is this true, does anyone know what it sounds like, and does any one have this system? I don’t want an extremely loud system, but something that makes a nice sound.
    :)
    Mike, if you go to flowmaster muffler's website, you can hear all the exhaust levels! I have the 40 series on my silverado. David. :shades:
  • brix92brix92 Member Posts: 8
    Ok, I have a 1500HD, can I be included? I just bought a 2007 Classic crew cab and it's my first Chevy. LOVE IT!!!!! I have the cloth seats but they are so comfortable compared to the leather seats in the F150 I traded in.

I tow a 2 horse bumper pull trailer and again, it is so much better than the F150 was. I hardly feel the trailer when I tow.

I can't say enough about my truck.
  • mike614mike614 Member Posts: 7
    Yea thanks David, I saw and heard all the exhaust levels on there website. Your 40 series you have sounds perfect!

thanks again
    mike
  • liljoker7921liljoker7921 Member Posts: 3
    Is their a 6 disc changer if i am using the nanigation system along with the rear enteratainment and if so how does it work with the music and all that... i want to purchase one but just need minor spec help i read it has a six disc but anohter website said that only one into the machine then anohter for the gps map system...i am just so lost :sick:
  • brix92brix92 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with the person who advised on emailing GM with your issue. I sent the CEO, Rick Wagner a letter just saying how impressed I was w/my truck and his assistant called me up last week to talk to me. I think they really want to try to be as customer oriented as they can since their sales aren't as good as they would like.

Also, regarding the dealership-another thing w/GM (versus Ford, who couldn't care less about their customers... and yes, personal experience)GM seems to WANT to hear the good, bad and ugly on their dealerships.
    Do you still have Rick Wagner's email because I did as That person advised. All they did was mail me a letter saying that the tailgate cables on my truck are shown to have already been replaced even though I can go out to my truck look at some very rusted and worn cables. Dont get me wrong! Chevy or Bust!!! But I hate when someone a 100 miles away tries to tell me what I am staring at!
  • pinn1pinn1 Member Posts: 2
    hello everyone new to this site i own a 2001 silverado 4x4 with the 4.8 auto and was looking to make some improvements to it i have had it for 6 years with no real complaints but now it is time to fix some issues with the tranny being sluggish and poor acceleration and was wondering if anyone has done something to their truck that they would say has really improved the overall power and drive ability of the truck such as exhaust,changing plug wires,aftermarket tranny etc.
  • 03sierra4x403sierra4x4 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone used synthetic fluids in their differentials, transfer cases and motors? Which ones? My '03 Sierra has 62000 miles, and I'm ready to move to the high mileage formulas. Do these systems need to be flushed before changing over?
    Any help and info will be greatly appreciated.
  • chevymikechevymike Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a set of AR wheels (20x8.5) with 285/55/20 Eagle LS tires on my 06 Z71. I like the look of the 20's, but I want a more aggressive looking stance beyond the fender flares. I would like to get a set of 20x10 Motto wheels, but am not sure if any modifications have to be done (I'd rather not shave or lift). Does anyone know if there will be enough turning clearance for the front? I don't want it to hit the upper arms or ball joints. Appreciate the feedback.
  • 93gmcdrivermn93gmcdrivermn Member Posts: 24
    Well hello i'm new to this site to, but i think i might be able to stear you in the right direction. I have a 93'Sierra (SLE)Z-71 REG CAB SHORTBOX that i've owned for about 6-1/2 years. I started a restoration project on it about 2-1/2 years ago. As you probably know the TBI 5.7Liter is a big dog! What i did to get some power was install a K&N cold air kit($290), Helix Power Tower Throttlebody spacer($69), Flowtech Shorty Headers($288), High flow cattaletic converter($140), Cat back dual exaust that was on the truck, installed a flowmaster Muffler($85).
    What a difference it doesn't drive at all like the same truck! It's allmost were it should have been from the factory in my opinion! Next is a Jet Performance Modgule to reprogram the factory CPU and that should get it there. I was told with everything from 240hp stock too around 305 to 310hp. The way it runs now without the Jet Modgule i believe it!
    For the Tranny i had the same problem 2 years ago. What i did is run some Trans-X through it for about 50 to 100 miles. Drop the pan and replace the Trans filter, i used a hand pump with a long rubber hose down the filler tube and disconected the Trans lines from the trans cooler to get as much old fluid out as i could. Put everything back together and the most important thing when filling with new fluid, get a bottle of "LUCAS" TRANS CONDITIONER & SEALER.
    I did all that and my Transmission shift's real smooth just like new! At that time the Truck had about 155,000 miles, now has 188,300 and still running strong. About plug wires i used to go through a set every year of the aftermarket cheapies. My advice spend the money and get a set of AC-DELCO wires you wont regret it!
  • pinn1pinn1 Member Posts: 2
    hey just wanted to drop a thankyou for the advice i appreciate you taking the time and will try your tips.
  • delboydelboy Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me if i can fit an edelbrock 4barrel carb to my 1990 chevy silverado z71 and disregard the engine management sensors.
    also can anyone give me a list of fault codes and their meanings
    Many thanks
    Delboy :sick:
  • billb6billb6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Silverado and the tow/haul switch is locked in and will not release. I was able for a while to rattle the handle and it would disengage. Now i can't get it to diengage. Is there a way i can take a fuse out or something else to get it disengaged?
  • keng97keng97 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys,
    This is my first post. I am buying a truck but this is my first truck and kinda lost. I am looking at a 03 silverado extended cab 5.3. My questions are how reliable are these engines and what happened to the 5.7's. Why a 5.3? does it make as much power. What is the good and bad about this truck and engine.
    I am new to trucks and would appreciate all your input both good and bad.

Ok also how does the 5.3 compare the the ford 5.4?

I also test drove the 6.0 and loved it, that is a awesome truck, but 12MPG.
  • inthebizinthebiz Member Posts: 5
    Had the 5.3 in my 2000, 03 silverado and now my 07 GMC. I have never had any problems with the engine. Also have not read about any problems on this site. One of GM's strength is their powertrains. The 5.3 has plenty of power and pulled my 5K Lb boat as good or better than my former 5.7. As compared to the triton 5.4, it to is a good engine plenty of power but very thirsty. Everyone I know that had a F150 w/ the 5.4 said best case was 14-15 MPG. I drove one on a 800 mile trip and saw it for my self. My best friend just drove his f-250 to Canada and back on a fishing trip and we got 12-13 with his 5.4...$$$$$ My silverado got 19-20 on highway and 17-18 around town. Continue to buy the 5.3, no problems for me!
    hey bro, how can I get in touch with you. Can you email me.
    I am leaning toward the silverado. That was exactly the info I was looking for. but hey what do you know about the 6.0.
  • 2007denali2007denali Member Posts: 16
    I have a stock 2004 Chevy Silverado LS Ext Cab 285hp, 4.8L V8, with virtually no options (CD/cassette & privacy glass). Does anyone know what the performance specifications are for this truck? I'm going to buy a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali and I want to know how much faster my new truck will be.
    if you can get those mini tires to grip the road with an empty bed. I would guess your 4.8 would do 0-60 around 8 seconds and the Denali with the 20s would get you around 7.2. Course you would lose to an Escalade.
  • 2007denali2007denali Member Posts: 16
    How would a new Sierra Denali lose to an Escalade? All Escalade models weigh between 300 and 500 pounds more than the Sierra Denali and they all have the same engine - 6.2L with 403 horsepower.
  • frivvy89frivvy89 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have '93 chevy silverado 1500 cab and it was working fine for awhile then sometimes it would start then sometimes it wouldn't. What's happening now is when I turn the key my dash lights up but nothing else happens. It won't turn over at all. I cleaned the battery cables but still the same thing. I am guessing it's the ignition. Any ideas will greatly appreciated.

Earl