Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

1234568»

Comments

• chevy8729chevy8729 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 chevy silverado crew cab z71. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the truck came out of gear. I coasted to the side of the road, put in park, then put back in drive and the truck had the gears again until i let off the gas. I made it home and tried to put the truck in park and a loud rudder type sound came from the transfer case and or transmission and then the truck didnt have any gears at all and wouldnt go in park. Any possible solutions??
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It may be too late but have you checked the level of trans fluid and/or the color?
  • shandalynnshandalynn Member Posts: 1
    bought truck alittle over month ago heat on but not blowing out..any answer to help a cold female out there brrrrr :confuse:
  • awilloughbyawilloughby Member Posts: 10
    If you can tell that the blower is on, and there is no air flow out of any vents, regardless of mode switch position, maybe the cabin air filter is plugged up. That was the problem when I bought my GMC Sierra. The filter is accessed from the floor area, behind the glove box. You need to drop the plastic shield from below the blower, remove the plastic strip/cover securing the filters (there are two) and pull them down, one at a time. They're available at PepBoys, Napa, etc.
  • awilloughbyawilloughby Member Posts: 10
    I just converted the manual AC to auto AC on my 01 Sierra. It was suprisingly straight forward, and something that anyone could do who had patience and some tools, (and the factory service manual.) I got most of the parts at the wrecking yard, but they are all still available from the dealer. I've also added the steering wheel audio switches. The switches are only about $50.00 new, though the SIR clockspring was about $180.00. Very straight forward conversion, too.
  • 2010sierra2010sierra Member Posts: 2
    2010 Sierra now has 3500 miles on it. It has tiny rust spots all over the sides
    of the truck. Have been working with the dealers body shop foreman. Today the body shop tried an acid wash to neutralize the rust spots. It did not work.
    The shop foreman said he will contact GM to see what the next step is. I've
    heard the GM excuses (thru my dealer) from the tech service department. Rail
    dust etc. Don't really care what the excuse is. If I wanted a rusty truck I
    would have bought used. I am pleased with the way my dealership has approached this, so far. Since I'm disgusted with this vehicle there are a couple other things I don't like. The new 6 speed auto trans shifts into 5th gear when cruising around town at 30 mph. And apparently the Active Fuel Mgt shuts down 4 cyls at the same time. I am very unhappy with this truck. Even if they gave me back $10,000 dollars of my $30,000 dollar investment I don't like this truck. $10,000 is what I could have saved buying the same truck used. I am very disgusted with GM. Thanks for the brand new rusty truck.
    Read more at http://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/showthread.php?t=17104&kcplink=1
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    that truly sucks with the rust spots. have you keep track of your mpg? not what onboard computer states but what you've recorded with fill-ups. thanks.
  • coach2413coach2413 Member Posts: 30
    Mine is a 2010 Chev silverado z71. I agree with you. I wish they would give me 10,000 back on my 30,000 investment . All I get is excuses. My right rear bumper was replaced at 4 months. Noise in the cab is annoying. Spare tire wrong size for the option I paid for. Logos replaced due to lamination. Paint is very thin on the truck.wind blows and you see white primer. Tranny is a real issue with no fix. Clunk in rear of truck is also annoying.
  • propellerspropellers Member Posts: 6
    Well my 2010 vibrator is back in the shop. GM and the dealership advised me they will not longer work on the vibration issue. At the last oil change the dealer found my transmission di stick housing was busted, apparently from the vibration. He also noticed large amounts of oil coming from the front drive shaft seal and around the transmission bell housing. At 38,000 miles the vibration is apparently causing its toll. I still also have the tires moving on the rims. I advised customer service I will be back to buying foreign for our vehicle fleet. The customer service and GM throwing their hands up at this condition is one of the reasons I went to foreign in the first place. The only reason I went Gm is to support a family member that is an employee. Anyone want to start a class action suit? I just checked into the possibility with a nationally know firm in Toledo,OH. Talking to a mechanic in the shop claims this is a common complaint and GM advised they know about the problem but can not find a resolve. I have talked to other Shop Managers that claim the same.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "Talking to a mechanic in the shop claims this is a common complaint and GM advised they know about the problem but can not find a resolve. I have talked to other Shop Managers that claim the same."

I am very curious as to the common complaint (vibration) issue. There are not any complaints on the net on this. Not like the clunk issue.

Why haven't you pursued the "lemon law" route in your state?
  • chevystudentchevystudent Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone... I have an '05 Chevy 1500 4.3L (2WD) that consistantly has low oil pressure and rough idle at operating temp. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator or dampener per my mechanic's advice and it worked for a day and the problem returned. Im also recieving a code for an open circuit on my TCC and was wondering if that might be causing the low oil pressure or should i replace the distributor cap?
  • propellerspropellers Member Posts: 6
    There have been a few complaints and a bulletin about frame vibration from GM. I will see if the leaks return then look into the lemon law. I talked to the Service Manager about this and he indicated he would not write up the claim..whatever that meant..I have never filed for the lemon law but most likely I have to do the writing up. Picked the 1500 up last night and all vibrations with it.
  • chevystudentchevystudent Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear bout the bad luck.. I've decided that before i do anything to drastic I'm going to take my truck back to the mechanic and have him do a tune up. it hasn't had one since it left the plant floor. I will let ya know what happens from there. I read up on several possible issues for the vibrations. Everything from faulty fuel lines to gunkked up filters and spark plugs.
  • string2string2 Member Posts: 71
    I now have about 5,000 mi. on my Silverado. Just filled up AGAIN with 21.2 gallons of gasoline. My gauge showed 321 miles since last fill up. My Active fuel management won't work above 60-65 MPH, therefor I don't get the benefit from the Active Fuel Management at normal highway driving around 70 mph. GM has looked at it and assures me that it's operating normal dispite their misleading epa window sticker 15 city 21 highway.
    I get about 15 city 16 on level highway above 65 MPH. Not loaded and I don't have a heavy foot. gas - Shell, Exxon, Chevron

321 miles divided by 21.2 gallons gas = 15.14 MPG city miles 50% highway 50%

Since the Active fuel Management is not designed to work above 65 MPH on level highway, I can't get the fuel savings at the highway speed of 70 -72 MPH. I don't know why they designed it that way, but GM says that's normal. Are they lying to me ?
  • dan0307dan0307 Member Posts: 1
    well i drive an 07' 4.8L silverado bought it brand new,a week after i bought it the tansmission blew. then since i notice that rear end clunk people talk about i thought i had done something to my truck but i guess almost every one has that problem.sad they dont recall.k well that was 07' now its 2012 yesterday noticed my oil pressure was like 20 at idle.it alwas has been 40 at idle and while crusing only wen hammering down it would jump to 60 or so.i would like to also add that after about a month after i bought it also my battery decided to not work so got that replaced now last winter it was trying to die on me again.also my instrument panel was changed out back in 07' the gauges stoped working about a month ago same thing.this time i didnt bother to take it in all they do is put bandaids on the problem.i would like to also say it hasnt even hit 50k miles yet. also noticed that my mile is prob around 13 miles per gallon.i remeber getting 20 miles per gallon wat happen there. nice truck too many issues also passenger window wont roll down from driver switch only passenger swicht been like that for like 3 years now.
  • dallas21dallas21 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 4.3 Silverado 2WD runs fine until I go up a hill, then the tach red lines. This happens if I am going over 55 or 60 mph and not in tow mode (I am not towing anything or have a load). It seems to miss 3rd and go straight to 2nd or maybe even 1st. Sometimes it might hit 3rd for the blink of an eye, most times not. It seams to do this more with cruse control. If in tow mode and even with the cruse on it just downshifts one gear and all is ok (same hills). This can't be good for the engine. I read others with a similar problem and most responses were don't use cruse in the rain. I am on dry smooth road. Bought the truck new, always did this. Dealer told me it was because I bought the 4.3 and not a V8. But my brother just bought an 2005 Astro van with the same engine / transmission and it does not do this. Thanks in advance.