Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    jeepspazjeepspaz Member Posts: 21
    Thanks caribou1! I guess I should have consulted the owners manual before thinking something was wrong. My bad!
  • Options
    johnbbjohnbb Member Posts: 2
    Regarding the trip computer that keeps defaulting to metric from US, I have the same problem. The tech said there is a TSB out on it---the fix involves injecting some new software; takes maybe an hour? I haven't had time to do it yet, but that is the fix.

That is the only problem I've had on my Libby, which now has about 2400 on it. BTW, I took it to a Jeep Jamboree and it was making it up hills that were defeating the Wranglers with the big wheels. So I'm very happy with mine.
  • Options
    moldysgirlmoldysgirl Member Posts: 1
    Goingcrazy: I have a new 2004 Jeep Liberty that has LESS than 2000 miles on it. I brought it back in about a week ago because of a very noticeable hesitation!! I noticed this hesitation a few times, but one day on the way to work, I had to pass someone. (Two Lane) I had plenty of room, but when I pulled out to pass and punched the gas, I had a very big hesitation. The rpms revved and the gas just seemed to cut-out. I had to pull back behind the slow vehicle to avoid colliding head on to an oncoming car!! That's how big this hesitation was!!

So in I went to the dealership complaining about hesitation and that it didn't seem to have power in uphill drives. I was told the the V6 wasn't a "powerful motor". (hey I'm a 44 year old female - I've heard all kinds of things) They gave me a rental car and kept my Jeep for about 3 days - finally telling me they "couldn't duplicate" the problem.

When I went to pick up the vehicle however, the service manager told me that he owned a 2004 Liberty, and that HE had hesitation in his. He told me that for the time being, the Jeep Chrysler Corp didn't have an answer to this problem, but that it didn't mean it wouldn't come up with one in the near future and recall the Jeep for this reason to be fixed. What do you think about that???

I too love my Jeep Liberty (other than that), but I'm not ever buying another Chrysler product!! Five years ago I had a Dodge Stratus that was a LEMON. They traded that for a 2001 Jeep Cherokee; which I traded in for this. The Cherokee was fine, but now I'm having problems with this Liberty. I'm leasing this Jeep and feel like I'm stuck with it.
  • Options
    goingcrazygoingcrazy Member Posts: 3
    Well I am sorry you are having the same problem but at the same time I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. I went to the dealer on Friday and raised a ruckus. I agreed to go on a test drive with their head of service Saturday morning.
    Saturday he drove first we went bot highway and back roads he did not experience the problem. I took over driving and low and behold the hesitation occurred. And the best part is he felt it too.

So now we have a confirmed problem. Now I have to wait for the regional technician to take a drive and see were it goes from there.

Did the tell you what the problem is?

As far a a powerful motor goes this 3.7 has plenty of pep. It is actually bigger that the motor that was in my caravan. Ibelieve he is just trying to make excuses.
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    With the automatic, there is too much difference between the fourth gear and the overdrive. All engines seem 'peppy' using the lower gears and then you come to a 'gap' when the overdrive locks in. With my 2.8L CRD, it's the extra torque (compared to the V6) that makes this 'gap' less critical. Below 60 MPH I use the O/D button to open the clutch and let the engine spin where it has more power. With a manual, you would have to make the clutch slip...
  • Options
    vegasjeepgirlvegasjeepgirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Liberty with 38,000 miles on it (I do outside sales and rack up the mileage) Anyway, so Im coming home from dinner and my auto trans decides to stay in first gear. Terrible vibration and growling noise was also present. I have had it towed to the dealer, havent heard the outcome yet, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their trans. As for all the other problems with alignments, window noise, seatbelt retraction, and some minor hesitation, I have had all of those, too. But all in all I like my Jeep.
  • Options
    stcstc Member Posts: 2
    PLEASE keep me posted on your experience with the regional technician. Mine wanted to install an auto pilot on the vehicle that would record the problem when it occurred, but it is not compatible with the Liberty.

I went to the dealership tonight. They wanted me to trade my vehicle, but I would have to eat the negative equity. I don't think I should be penalized because they have a faulty product. When I refused, I was told to contact the state Attorney General about the lemon law.

Apparently, if they can't duplicate the problem, you don't have a problem. Since you have a confirmed problem, maybe I can use your experience to solve my problem.

Also, the pull to the right situation continues, despite having the ball joint replaced and the vehicle aligned by an outside source.
  • Options
    shroundshround Member Posts: 1
    Three trips in less than a year for a rattle. Three trips in less than a year for "humming and squeling" noises. The problems are fixed...for about two weeks on the noise and a couple months on the humming...then back it goes again and again and again. Enough said. I was sold a Lemon Jeep.
  • Options
    mark09mark09 Member Posts: 1
    Recently when adjusting the volume the CD player reset to the first track. Shortly after that the radio went completely out, no volume but the display worked. After some playing with it the radio came back on. Then nothing. With the car off, key out, the display stayed on. I open the fuse box and removed and reinserted the fuse (10 amp in white holder)the display went off. Next day car started and the radio was fully functional again. Two days later, the radio stayed on with the CD drive spinning after the car was shut off. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    renegaderrenegader Member Posts: 73
    Not only filters and oil, but to my surprise front brake discs and pads were changed (without agreement before).

But the shop did excellently the recall repair of the lower ball joints and by itself initiated the guarantee change of upper arms too. The best on it was the complete front axle alignment (absolutely NO pulling right)and all that I need not not to pay.

Unfortunately they cannot manage the vibrations after the change of cardan spider on rear prop shaft. They say they don´t feel them...
  • Options
    unluckylibertyunluckyliberty Member Posts: 2
    Well here's my story.....I just bought a new Liberty May 7, 2004, thought it was going to be the best purchase of my life...boy was I wrong! So far it has 1049 miles on it, and it will be in the shop for the 3rd time (starting today). First it had 500 miles on it when a plug that holds the coolent in, dislodged itself and all the coolent leaked out, causing my vehicle to overheat....not good. Roadside had towed my vehicle to the dealership where they looked at it and I had it back the same day. (I also stated on my report that the vehicle was idling really hard on stops). Well three days later, my Liberty back into the shop again, for Idling problem. They had my vehicle for 4 days before they even looked at it. NOT GOOD! When I got my vehicle back, its still idling. I drove it for another week. Now its going back to the shop again today. PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR YOUR DEALERSHIP....I've had nothing but trouble from mine. If anyone else has had any trouble with the iding, give me a reply....maybe you can help me out!
  • Options
    jeeplemonjeeplemon Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems with my '04 Liberty since day one! The darn thing just won't drive straight! I have gotten the runaround from my dealership and from Chrysler. I had heard that Chrysler quality has declined recently, and this proves it! Read my story online: http://www.riveroakslemons.com
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Just recieved my ball joint recall notice. Had it fixed 3 months ago. Guess the dealer doesn't send a notice to headquarters after the service is finished. Returned the post card included to set the record straight.

Still happy with the Jeep. Only 6K miles so my fingers are still crossed.
  • Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Don't think that all Libertys or all Jeep dealers are the same. I've had my '02 Liberty Sport for 27 months and 28K miles, and have only had one problem. An ignition coil for one cylinder went bad causing a loss of power and a flashing engine light on the dash. I called Chrysler on the 800 line and had the car towed to the dealer. It was fixed right the first time. Other than that, it's been a dream, and both my wife (now the principal driver) and I love everything about it (with the possible exception of the poor mileage numbers). A great vehicle to drive and to look at (the paint job on my flame red Libby is perfect!). My dealer treats me with respect and is very responsive to any requests.
    Your Liberty may very well be a lemon, but mine is a ROSE!
  • Options
    fcampbellfcampbell Member Posts: 2
    We have had our Jeep for 9 months now. Very good truck. We have had minimal issues with this truck.

I agree about the gas it has more to do the the transmission than the engine. Highway mil age is good while city mileage is poor.

We would buy another we like it so much.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please email me and give me your comments

That defeats the purpose of a message board which is to publicly exchange information and build a knowledge base. Stick around and someone may be able to help you.

Also, posting your email address in a post invites email harvesters who would love the opportunity to provide you with spam.

tidester, host
  • Options
    gollumgollum Member Posts: 7
    every 15000 miles rotors get worn, but brake pads are good..anyone else see this issue with liberty before?
  • Options
    snitchsnitch Member Posts: 2
    Hi m new to this site. I too bought a 2004 jeep liberty. I have 3 k miles on it now. I have experienced the hesitation on onramps twice now. I am glad I visited this site. I owned a 2000 GC JEEP b4 this 1 which nvr did this. 1 thing is that the GC jeep had a 4 speed automatic. This Liberty has a VARIABLE tranny. Thats why it gets confused when you press the gas all of the sudden. Im no expert but this variable tranny sux. I miss my GC jeep already. My temperature gauge keeps going back to metric, the air conditioner blows mild cool air and the engine vibrates and idles rough at stop lights.
  • Options
    I've had my '02 Liberty Sport for 2 1/2 years and 29K miles so far. Other than one problem with a faulty cylinder coil my Liberty has been a trustworthy, but thirsty friend. For a 2 ton SUV it handles beautifully with plenty of power for highway travel. It's thirst for petrol is infamous - there has not been a roadtest or review that didn't mention it, but back in early '02 gas wasn't $2+ per gallon. By the way, those mileage figures on the stickers are EPA estimates based on ideal conditions (and where in this great country can one drive in "ideal" conditions???). Every car, from Honda to Toyota to Rolls Royce can develop problems. Your only protection is in knowing the dealer before you buy - their service department is the only thing between you and a horrible automotive experience. Would I buy my Liberty again now knowing it as I do.... I don't know. Ask me while I'm pumping my hard earned money into its gas tank and I'd say no... but ask me in mid winter during a blizzard, and my answer would most definitely be YES. It's this love-hate thing.
  • Options
    snitchsnitch Member Posts: 2
    I have 3 k miles on it and I seem to only get 278 miles avg per tank. Anyone else get btr?
  • Options
    jeepsosojeepsoso Member Posts: 1
    i too have experienced poor mileage, it is roughly the same on highway or city at around 15 - 15.75 mpg. the best i have ever acheived was 17 going cross coubtry at about 85-90. my other car is a hybrid....

do you have the front end clicking/clanking in warmer weather when it has warmed up? this happens when i start and stop or drive in slow traffic. seems to involve the steering abd yes the joints have been replaced. i cannot get the dealer to hear or feel this issue when i bring it in.
  • Options
    skiddoskiddo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been wondering WHO to go to about this question of mine & it dawned on me that other Liberty owners might have the same question...

Anyway, I have a 2004 Sport Liberty (with all the Limited trimmings). So far I love the thing (other than noticing hesitation on on-ramps, or acceleration sometimes).

My problem is this. I have the Infinity System, with the controls on the steering wheel, which I love. I got the Infinity system FOR this (how shallow is that). Anyway, one fine day as I rolled the windows down, opened the sunroof, let down my hair & popped a CD in, I noticed that I couldn't HEAR the CD very well. I pulled UP my hair & started investigating the controls. Hmm....there's a governor on the volume. Okay, I can understand the "whys" of this, but...it's set at a low level (MAX volume 37). You can hold a conversation over it at "max level". If the windows are down, you can't HEAR it clearly.

I've had my boom-box, competition-level systems in previous vehicles, so I'm not screaming for boom-boom. I just want to take the governor off. I've never blown a speaker in previous cars - I think I can figure out distortion levels enough to prevent blwoing speakers, but I'd like to make that decision myself. <g>

Anyone else noticed this & is there a go-around that won't interfere with the steering wheel controls? Do I need to put an amp in?
  • Options
    jrsy1971jrsy1971 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 02 Liberty sport no ABS. I have had it back to the dealership on numerous occasions for front end noise. My husbdan says its the brakes, and that it is normal noise. The last 3 times I have had to bring the Liberty back they have replaced the brke pads, and the brake line (it had a bubble on the line) all in 10,000 - 12,000 miles. I called Chrysler, but they said it is not a recall issue. The truck starts making the noises again in less then a week. I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel and getting another car. Anybody else, or any advice on how to handle this issue?
  • Options
    I have an '02 Liberty Sport that has had the disk pads replaced, and it does not have the front end rattle you describe. I had a '96 Chrysler Cirrus that had what was described a "brake rattle" - over choppy bumps in the road it would rattle like a cheap baby rattle - drove me crazy, but had absolutely no affect on the handling or braking. I've been told that there are anti-rattle clips for the front disk brakes that help to quiet this.
  • Options
    Do you have 4 disks or 2 disks + 2 rear drums?
    Sometimes the rear brake drums need cleaning and readjustment. When the rear brake linings are 'glossy', they tend to 'whistle' and induce vibrations in the whole system. On my Liberty Sport diesel, the anti-rattle clips are just starting to corrode (rust) after 15,000 miles. My brakes work perfectly, and from past experiences, when you have the ABS option you get more powerful brakes.
  • Options
    jrsy1971jrsy1971 Member Posts: 4
    Thnaks for your response. I have 2 disks and 2 rear drums. I will have my dh take a look at the rear drums.
  • Options
    Your mileage is good, I think. I am making 344 miles per tank, but I drive diesel 2,5 CRD
  • Options
    "do you have the front end clicking/clanking in warmer weather when it has warmed up? this happens when i start and stop or drive in slow traffic. seems to involve the steering abd yes the joints have been replaced. i cannot get the dealer to hear or feel this issue when i bring it in"

WARNING!!! let the car shop immediately check the joints on front arms if all of them are tightened well. I had the same problem (clicking): One bolt on lower front arm was not tightened enough. By the recall they usually do settings of steering geometry after changing the lower ball joints and maybe someone hurried home...
  • Options
    I get 345 miles when the refill chime rings. This means 55 liters (14USGals), 550 Km on a regular base. I thought the 2.5 manual gave better mileage than the 2.8 auto ???
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Did you ever think a feature in your car (door lock mechanism, etc) was malfunctioning when in fact it was working the way it was designed? If so, a reporter wants to hear the story. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with some details of the situation, your name and daytime phone number by Thursday July 8, 2004.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    christinec128christinec128 Member Posts: 3
    I have a question about my Jeep Liberty '04 and I am hoping someone has the answer. I like the idea of the automatic door locks at 30 mph (I think that is the speed), but shouldn't they unlock when you stop the car and open the door(s). Mine stay locked and if I want to run into the store or my house (yes, I know I shouldn't leave the car running but let's face it - it happens), I end up locking myself out of my car. Is this how the locks work or are mine malfunctioning. The dealer is not much help with my quetion.
  • Options
    meyerlevinmeyerlevin Member Posts: 15
    I hope you don't have a child in the car when you leave the engine running and leave the vehicle.I have an '04 Liberty as well.When the car is stopped,the locks don't automatically open.Besides,when you pull on the front door handles to exit,the door will unlock.I don't see why when you leave the car running and temporarily run in somewhere,that you should get locked out.Your driver's door should remain unlocked until you get back in the car and either press the auto lock button,or let the locks automatically do their thing when you reach app.15mph(NOT 30mph).I don't think it's your locks that are malfunctioning.
  • Options
    tn8806tn8806 Member Posts: 3
    First, I have a 2003 Liberty Sport with the 3.7L Automatic. It's a very cool Jeep. TO those who say it can't go seriously off road, go take one out and beat the crap out of it, then come back and tell me it can't go anywhere. Anyways, the issues:

1 - Brake moaning. Usually on warm, damp mornings. I keep mine in a garage over night so it's not exposed to the hail storms we tend to get at night. When pulling out of the garage, idleing along, the brakes will make this horrible moaning sound. It's so lous the neighbors said they could hear it in their house with the windows and doors closed. This only happens for say 500 ft. and then it will quit. It will be prefectly quiet for usually the rest of the day. Every once and a while it will act up again after driving around town all day and trying to get into a tight spot, with the wheel turned all the way to one direction. Not a safety problem, just an annoying issue.

2 - Skipping. Every now and then, again with the wheel turned all the way to one direction (usually left) my Jeep will skip. At first I thought it was an area of loose dirt, but there isn't any. it's like hitting a small patch of ice in the winter and sliding for about half a second. Just long enough to notice it. I only noticed it with the A/C on also. But thats gone away.

3 - Just last week I got a recall in the mail about the seal in the rear latch. The problem is the seal is bad and could allow water to enter the latch, making the latch randomly open when the Jeep is unlocked. I had planned to bring my Jeep in for regular service the next day so I had them take care of the seal also. To be on the safe side, they replaced the entire latch at no cost to me. All they werer supposed to replace was the seal. This is the only recall that has affected mine, the ball joint was on earlier models.

Love my Jeep and plan to have it for a long time!
  • Options
    Hmmm... I guess if I was an idiot I would leave my child in the car with it running, but being a fairly educated person, that's not an issue for me. It sounds to me that amongst the sarcasm in your response lies the answer to my question... when I pull on the door to exit my car, the door doesn't unlock for some reason, so when it shuts behind me it remains locked. Therefore it sounds to me that my door locks are in fact malfunctioning. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    laproflaprof Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 04 libby this past week(3.7 engine). I Have noticed some hesitation especially when approaching highway speeds. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Any advice would be appreciated
  • Options
    I've got an '02 Liberty Sport and have been in love with it from day 1. About your questions, here is my take, for what it's worth:
    The early morning brake moan - the disks tend to form a light coating of oxidation (also known as rust) overnight, and until it is "burned off" by braking, it squeals or moans.
    The skipping - you don't say if you're in 4WD, but it sounds like you are, and the transfer case is causing the "skip" during turns on soft surfaces.
    Recalls - the dealer uses their discretion in repairing recall items as they are fully reimbursed by the factory for any "necessary" repairs, so if they sense a problem they may go beyond what you might expect in making repairs.

As I said, it's only my guesses, but I've dealt with my Liberty for 2 1/2 years and with dealers for for about 40 years.
  • Options
    renolibertyrenoliberty Member Posts: 12
    On my '03 Liberty, I sometimes had brake moan while reverse braking on the morning after a wet day. I thought that pad dust/road grime, build up around the pads and calipers might have aggravated the noise caused by normal oxidation of the rotors. So I flushed the the rear brake pads and calipers with a jet of water from my garden hose. Then I drove back and forth numerous time to dry the pads and rotors by brake heating.

This seems to have mostly eliminated the brake moan for now.
  • Options
    If your door does not unlock when you wish to exit the vehicle,then what DO you do to get out? I assume you most probably push up on the power door lock switch.If so,are you saying that after you leave the car and shut the door,it automatically locks you out? That should not happen.I'm trying to help by getting a handle on what you are describing.
  • Options
    Hallo caribou1, I am glad to read about you again!!!

I thought it too, but maybe the way of driving (speed) is the problem. Usually I go 140 km/h on the highways, (130 is legal + 10% is tolerated) My computer says I need 9,7 liter/100 km, but tank refilled and calculated there is 10% more diesel.I have one of the first diesel Jeeps and not all the parts are 100% tuned.

Did you solve this rattling of waste gate or what was it? Another problems or are you still happy?
  • Options
    I'm always getting a steady 10 liters/100km.
    I try not to drive above 125KM/H because it's just too noisy. The turbo rattle comes on only when the temperature is below 15C. I have a contact at VM Motori, and who knows ??? I guess when the Liberty diesel will be sold in North America it will be around fall, and the temperature will then be below 15C. Perhaps someone else will write a few lines to complain.
    No problems yet after 28,000 Km. I just hope to get 40,000 Km out of my 5 tires... A funny thing about using this truck to pull, is that it could be a little bit heavier. I'm really enjoing it.
  • Options
    That is exactly what happens. I pull on the handle - the door opens and when it shuts behind me, it re-locks automatically.
  • Options
    Now,I understand precisely what you are describing. No way should the power door locks relock themselves when you are out of the car or in the car,EXCEPT when you first enter the car,close the door and drive away.Only then,if you did not lock your doors,will they automatically lock themselves when you reach the speed of approximately 15mph.Something is definitely amiss,and Chrysler should know what to do to correct the problem.Good Luck!!
  • Options
    unluckylibertyunluckyliberty Member Posts: 2
    Well here's to update you on my unluckyliberty. Since the last time my vehicle was in for the idling, it was June 7, 2004, I got it back June 10, 2004. It went back in the shop on June 14, 2004 for the check engine light going on, and the "rough idle" once again. It was in the shop from June 14-June 24 (10 days), when I got the vehicle back, they told me it was because I was using a blend of gas called "winter gas". Ummmm can we say BS! They told me to use 93 octane fuel in it. So I did, do you think it helped???? NO! I got my vechilce on June 24 at 5:00 pm and on June 25 at 5:00 pm it went back in the shop again and its been in the shop since then. I have yet to have my vehicle for a single day in July. So far since I've gotten my Liberty its been in the shop 53 days, I've only owned it since May 7th (and I've driven my current rental car more than my my NEW Liberty) anyone else having these kind of problems???
  • Options
    johnconawayjohnconaway Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me more about the idling? I just stumbled on to this thread, But I too have a new 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited, and have been experiencing a rough idle since new (February), although it sounds like yours is a lot worse.. I am about to bring it into the dealer for it's first 5000 mile service, and was going to mention the rough idle to them. It's not real bad, but is noticeable to me at stop lights. Otherwise, I love the vehicle.

Thanks
  • Options
    crazynexuscrazynexus Member Posts: 1
    That 'rough idle' you talk about, if you read teh owners manual, it'll say that rough idle speeds is normal in your liberty. You're talking about an engine that churns out a lot of HP for its size, not some dinky car engine here.
  • Options
    arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    I just seen on our local news broadcast that the Jeep liberty made the top 10 Lemon lawed car for 2004. You might wanna look into this. and keep record of all the times you take it in for warranty work.
  • Options
    truckedtrucked Member Posts: 9
    i have a liberty renegade with 4000mi on it. i rent before i buy and was quite satisfied with the two i rented for aprox 8 days on two occasions. when i took delivery of mine, i immediately noticed that it has a mind of its own. once it gets to 40mph with light pedal pressure, all is well. when speed gets to 42 mph the tach needle flies up to the top and the car downshifts and takes off , prompting any passenger to make remarks about my hurry. on a steady flat highway it does it at 42 mph and 52mph , zooming up to 5mph higher than intended. when a slight incline occurs, the libby does not sense the incline and speed drops off fairly quickly despite increasing pedl travel , even up to one inch. there is a flat period while you press down more and more, and when its ready ( could be when foot is lifted off pedal) it wakes up and xcharges ahead but further up in speed than it was before. on cruise control this i very, very apparent. at 60 mph, in cruise control, upon encountering a slight upgrade, vehicle will fall off speed quickly until you are now at 55mph before it responds. the response i an over-response and the speed tops off at 75, 10mph more than the cruise cntrl was set at. driving at 40mph yesterday the road started to dip down . the speed increased to that magic 42 mph , and i rounded the corner approching a red light, th spurted off and had to have brakes tapped to keep from going above 50mph, especially since it was time to decelerate for the red light. i called my dealer prior to the 3000 mi check up and he said let it break in. t that time with the 3.7 l eng, i was getting 16.5 mpg but now i am getting 16.3. this is not really city driving. i am usally at hwy speeds in a few blocks of my home. they quote 17 city and 21 hwy.. its not even close. on a long 3hr hway trip this summer, i tried to maintain 70mph but was frustrated by the speed falling off with the same pedal pressure that should hve kept it constant. this is a constant iritant. also upon leaving stop sign and merging onto a one lane rd by my home, it did a double downshift and spun the wheels , squirting me out onto the road like a kid with his first hot rod..again my pssenger looked at me an said woah!! whats your hurry?.. i am due to take it to my orig deler next week for a second opinion, since my more local dealer does not "see any problm" ha!! i think , if the tranny can't be adjusted electronically on my visit next week , i will persue writing to the company at large. i already called them but they say the dealer is th first and last word and that i shouldget a second opinion , especially since i did not buy it from the dealer whose shop di my 3000 mi check up. i love the car but not like this.
  • Options
    truckedtrucked Member Posts: 9
    it would seem that the liberty is not taking well to the mercedes/chrysler merger. i spoke to a man who said he was a jeep salesman and what he found and why he left them , was because he found that all the complaints on this forum are legit which means the libbys are all a bit different and have a bunch of problems not unique to them as a group but as individual vehicles. we all have purchased a jeep that has one, two or many glitches which they are apparently ill equipt to handle. it would behoove us as a group to perhaps get together and press a class action suit when our problems are not remediated. the most offensive of all is the company quoted mpg. that alone would be irksome but when added to all the other driveabilty problems, this model needs to go back to the drawing board and we all should be reimbursed. see message by "trucked" re my problems posted today.good luck to us all. i will report on whetehr or not they fix my malady neaxt week.
  • Options
    frankc58frankc58 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my Liberty for a year. I have had very few issues. Gas milage is poor in the city but seems much better on the highway.

My dealer Hassan Bros. in Quincy Ma has been great. Any issues are handled and they have proven very helpful.

The wife loves driving the Jeep and my son also loves it.

I would buy another without having second thoughts.

Frank
  • Options
    I have the same behaviour on my diesel Liberty.
    42 MPH is when the 4th gear engages and 52 MPH is when the 5th gear comes into action. I usually press on the O/D button when approaching red lights or highway exits to force a downshift into 3rd gear. This saves the brakes and reduces speed in a comfortable way. For city driving I keep the O/D OFF and the torque converted stays locked as long as I keep the pedal slightly pushed in. When in cruise control, if you are missing torque at the low end, the engine will give all it can during downshift; this is often too much correction and the speed will no longer be stable. The ride was much worse when the trannies had only 3 gears (~1980s) and you were on a roller coaster profile road.
This discussion has been closed.