Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    Hey, 03whitecxl, we'd love to see some pics. I haven't heard of many customized RDV and would love to see your results. especially the rear bumper guard. I have a big dog that goes along with me a lot and he has put some scratches on the rear bumper just by stepping on it while getting in and out.
  • Options
    03whitecxl03whitecxl Member Posts: 13
    I did take some dig. pics yesterday but I need to find a host for them. Any recommendations (Car domain,Imagestation,) I do have Imagestation access. Will work at getting them available.
  • Options
    Here's a link to pics of some peoples Rendezvous.
    Some have the front door glass tinted, some have the window vent guards, some stereo upgrades, etc. BTW, Yesterday evening I bought a Sears 20V hard shell luggage carrier. It looks great since it is aero and is v-dark gray like my lower accent color. Only $154 on sale, installation kit included and it holds a lot of luggage. http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/search_results.pl?make=Buic- k&model=Rendezvous
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    I found a fine example of what the 2002 Rendezvous looks like with the monotone paint and 20 inch wheels:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=6144&item=2428555434

The pictures will be there for a few days only.

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the links to the pictures. They were fun to look at. C'mon, Lance, get your pix up, dude! ;-)

I always wondered how the RDV would look with a solid paint job instead of the plastice lower trim on the sides. Those e-bay pix pretty much showed me.
  • Options
    I won some Pontiac Montana Std (not extended version)length running boards on Ebay for $100 +$91.00 fast shipping.
    I installed one of them today and I really like the way it looks. They Make the car look much more substantial and right. I will install the other one tomorrow. These are Aerotec brand with the built in mud flap ends. The only modifying needed it to round off the pointy corner ends of the lower side plastic. I will try to get pics some day but believe you me they look right. I also recently bought a dash pad in charcoal color which looks good but has a sparkely shine to it which is distracting in bright sunshine.
  • Options
    I also recently tinted the front 2 windows. This makes the styling much more continuous looking. On the installation of the running boards from a TransPort, they fit great. They can't stick out a huge distance so that they match up well on the end mud flaps and they must be in far enough to butt up against the metal ridge where the jack is placed to lift the vehicle. A jack can still be used in the front but I may trim some excess material off the back for the jack. In order to take out all gaps between the boards and the lower trim (which is not straight) I simple jacked up on the mounting brackets and tightened the bolts. I would feel it was stronger if it came with 3 mounting bracket pieces instead of 2, but I will look for another 1 to add for peace of mind.
  • Options
    http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&- - item=2442988281&category=33650
    And only $30 shipping / I paid $90 shipping.
    Doesn't have mounting hdwr but mine just had 2 adjustable Z shaped brackets which could very easily be fabricated.
    BTW. Doesn't anyone like my running board pics ?
    I am REALLY liking the looks of our Vous since these few mods. Feedback requested.
  • Options
    m2kappm2kapp Member Posts: 16
    I think it looks Great! I just bought my 03 CX w/plus package a couple weeks ago and we love it. I already installed a Class III Putnam hitch (got it new for under $100 shipped on the net!) Changed the oil to Mobil 1, gutted the airbox and put in a drop in K+N filter, Tinted the front windows, added Ventvisors and switched to Silvania Silverstar headlight bulbs. I have Kleen wheels brake dust shields and those ebay rear wheel well plugs on the way. All with less than 1000 miles on it!:-)

How much did it cost you to get the running boards painted? Those ebay ones are Rendezvous specific. Are they better than your retrofitted Montana ones? Your RDV looks awesome!
  • Options
    kagan1kagan1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else found that the suspension on the CXL AWD is easily unsettled? Potholes cause my RDV to rock back and forth violently. Sometimes even hop on the road. DOn't know a great deal about this, but it appears the culprit would be super soft shocks. I say this because I have noticed a much more settled ride with a loaded vehicle. I think the added weight progressively stiffens the shock absorbers.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know of any possible modifications or upgrades to improve the handling?
  • Options
    I didn't need to paint the R-boards because they were already dark charcoal impregnated color. They fit just like they were made for it although I am not familiar with the Montana/Transport under belly where the screws get driven into.
    Stated above is the installation issues which are very few. The visable difference between the 2 is mine have end flares which mount to the fender which looks slightly better in my opinion but both styles look real decent.
  • Options
    coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    Hello, Does anyone know where the radio, switched, power supply wire comes through in the drivers compartment. I have had a Sirius Satellite Radio installed, but currently it is only powered when the key is in the battery or run position. I would like it to have the Aux. power like the radio does. I have removed the drivers side knee panel, just under the steering wheel, but removing the dash panel to get to the back of the radio appears to be a real pain. The installers already owe me a new shifter boot from when they removed this panel to install it. I did find a huge wiring bundle below the steering wheel, but unsure which wire, if any, is the one I want. Thanks for any info. By the way, the Sirius radio is very nice.
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    Hi all. I've modified a bumper skid plate from the Envoy for my RDV (it fits reasonably well and looks ok) and I would like to know if there is any particular glue that would work best for the RDV's plastic since I don't know exactly what type of plastic it consists of. I don't mind sanding or scoring the bumper surface for better adhesion. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andre
  • Options
    gregcampfiregregcampfire Member Posts: 1
    I bought a base RVD and was very happy at the level equipment included as base. When I bought it 2 years ago I was a single Dad with two kids. Now that I have a total of 4 kids from a newly blended family I needed seating for 6. Not wanting to get rid of my RVD I contacted a junkyard in my area and bought a third row seat complete with seatbelts and built it into the car. It is possible since the third row seat belt mounting anchor points are in the cars structure. You need to tap the holes (7 total) for threads then bolt in the seat belt bolt/anchor. The seat bolts right to the floor with 4 bolts using the existing threaded holes. Its all "factory" fresh and crash worthy or else I wouldn't put my kids back there. Be sure to use all the original bolts from the donor vehicle to be sure it is safe and be careful when tapping the threads. The bolts have to be tightened down hard with no stripping allowed. No bolts from Home Depot either since they are not specific or hardened enough to do the job right. The junkyard gave me everything, full leather seat, belts and package tray which bridges the gap to the rear hatch sill for $250. It took me about 2 hours to install and I'm real happy the kids aren't sitting back there on kiddy chairs trying to not tip over. The leather matches my steering wheel and center console so it's not too far of a stretch matching up with my other cloth seats. I work for GM and have questioned the lead engineer regarding why the A/C will blow hard out the IP vents but when you turn the temp knob to heat you hear a clunk and then only muffled airflow comes out the IP vents. She said that performance was "design intent", why? It's taken alot of JD Power hits over the HVAC category so I think my concerns are common. However there's a dealer fix available which I had done which helps a little. I also bought two roof rack cross bars for $10 each from the same junkyard so I can tie things down on the roof. I'm looking for an inside rear view mirror with temp and compass next to complete my wish list. It's been fun updating my RVD with used parts for a fraction of what they're worth brand new and nobody would know the difference.
  • Options
    cudaalcudaal Member Posts: 34
    3.4L begs for it!Roger that! What about suspension upograde Vue Red Line style? (which is a strock of genius)
  • Options
    K&N. Smart. have pictures of the step protector?

thx
  • Options
    Wonder, if that void manufacturer warranty?
  • Options
    carlericcarleric Member Posts: 7
    Your post on RDV suspension is a bout 6 months old but was wondering what responses you received. I just bought an '04 RDV and would like to get rid of the cushy ride. any suggestions?
  • Options
    nidgenidge Member Posts: 18
    I noticed that you put a K&N filter in you car. I am about to do same. Did you have any problems with installation and what differences did you notice after installation. Hope for improvement with cost of filter. Please reply. Thank you.
  • Options
    rick4rick4 Member Posts: 15
    I would like to purchase running boards for my Rendezvous, but I am having a hard time finding to paint code for the lower dark grey section. The dealer had the code for the bronze mist cladding but not the dk grey lower section. Can anyone help??
  • Options
    wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    Carleric: Check your tire pressures. Should be at 35 psi. Some dealers deliver them to their customers at 30...
  • Options
    Based on Venetta's post's ( # 26 and later with photos'), I bought and installed the Woodview Dash kit in English Burl in my '04 RDV CXL with gray leather interior. It really gives a classy look. I recommend it to all. I posted an inquiry on suspension (post#133) and found one source- Rancho- who will have heavier shocks for the RDV sometime in '05. By then, I may have accepted the soft ride, but at least that may be an option.
  • Options
    In post 137, I recommended Woodview's wood dash kit. I'm now back pedalling. I wrote that the just after installing. It is very high quality, but it doesn't cover the triangular spaces beside the dash vents and looks unfinished in those areas. I have contacted the vendor and am hopeful the problem can be corrected. In the meantime, I wouldn't recommend a buy.
  • Options
    thats should be The Post of the Year!

where'd U found such wonderful junk yard?

thx
  • Options
    Sorry for the late reply! Installation was somewhat painfull, not a very good design for changing the air filter. I did notice a difference after installation. Better throttle response and slight increase in acceleration and fuel mileage. I went a step further and also removed the restriction in the airbox (cone shaped funnel) that was allowing air to pass through only a small portion of the filter. Now the entire filter is getting air through it.I removed the two aluminum pins and it slid out the "funnel" from the top. You'll have to move the cruise control unit, coolant bottle and driver side diagonal brace to access the box. Only tools needed are a 10mm and 13mm socket, and needle nose plyers.

Hope that helps!

Wish we had a dedicated forum on the net for the Rendezvous...
  • Options
    Indeed replacing the stock air filter was at least painful. I really didn't want to remove the air mass sensor, but no choice. I must tell you this however, after installing the K&N air filter, my RDV is not the same car. My response is greatly improved and so is bottom end torque. Mileage, can't say that I noticed very much to mention. Did removing the other stuff you mentioned, help you? To make a long story short, I'mn pleased. My dealer salesman couldn't even believe the difference. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    I replaced the K+N filter and "gutted" the airbox two days after I took delivery of my RDV, so I didn't have a great baseline for increase in performance. However, I also own a Pontiac Aztek AWD (my daily driver) with the same powertrain. I noticed the same results you described with the Aztek, so I added the K+N and gutted the airbox in the RDV too.

I have a heavy foot and have no complaints about power.
  • Options
    Anyone ever install a Westin Safari Bar? Any Pictures?
  • Options
    can you, pls, give the links for your hitch, Kleen wheels brake dust shields and rear wheel well plugs.
    I wonder How long did it take you to change bulbs and what is a good price to pay for those Sylvanias? Know good source for them?

thank you
  • Options
    same question, Any toughts on reducing body lean at turns an speeds 25mph+.

I wonder what is available out there: wider tires, arms, shocks etc?...
  • Options
    I got the hitch from etrailerpart.com. It was about $100 shipped to my door with the Aztekfanclub discount. (Just type in "aztekfanclub discount please" in the remarks section of the order form)-I own both an RDV and Aztek, but it is the same hitch for both and fits AWD or FWD. It's a Class III hitch rated at 3500/350 with 2" receiver opening. I towed a fully loaded U-Haul 5x8 Trailer across the country no problem with it.You'll have to remove the rear bumper to install the hitch, as well as a drill for two 3/8" holes.

I got the Kleenwheels dust shields from autobarn.com, although they may be cheaper at bestdarnparts.com. However, for my Tek I've found that just replacing the OEM front pads with a set of Wagner Thermoquiets killed ALL the squeeling AND they barely dust at all...

I got the Sylvania Silverstars from Advance Auto Parts -most auto parts stores carry them. I paid $30 for a set of two after the $10 mail in rebate. I got the rebate form from the store, but don't know if they are still doing that. I believe the price has come down though since I bought them.

The rear wheelwheel plugs I got off of ebaymotors.com. Search "Rendezvous" or "Aztek" and they will pop up. They were like $7 shipped, but I think the guy that sells them raised his price a dollar or two.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    I had a set of 18" American Eagle 077 series wheels w/235/50/18 BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDWS tires on the RDV. The wheels were +38 mm offset vs the OEM +52mm offset (meaning the AE077 wheels stuck out slightly further than stock, giving a wider track)

Tires were also much wider than stock and because of the decrease offset, fit no problem and no rubbing. Looked a heck of alot better too!

Handling was GREATLY improved. Steering feel was also noticably increased as well. Road noise was also DOWN vs the original Firestone Affinity's. Ride was a little more taught, but by no means harsh or jittery.

I paid around $950 shipped to my door for both wheels AND tires. The tires were on special at tirerack.com and I ordered the wheels (polished version) from americaneaglewheels.com. If you decide to order the wheels, be sure to order the 5x115mm bolt pattern version to match the OEM lug pattern.

I don't know of any aftermarket suspension mods to improve handling. I was thinkin that the AWD vs FWD stabilizer bars might be different. If the AWD STBs are larger/thicker a FWD owner could order them and install the bigger bars to improve handling.

I've heard rumors that Rancho is going to come out with beefier rear shocks some time next year.

Heh, now that I'm thinking more about it, the "Rally" package Aztek has a lowered front suspension, (ie shorter front springs). I'd be willing to bet money that they will fit the RDV. You would just have to crosscheck part numbers to be sure.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    I had a local garage install a trailer hitch, Hidden Hitch. Now I have an occasional noise, rattle, rumble whatever. I think it is from the exhaust hitting the hitch. The local garage said it is fine. No it isn't! Anybody else ever have problems? Maybe a different manufacturer would be better.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I've heard about that problem affecting other RDV/Aztek owners using that hitch so you're not alone.

The problem is that the hitch design does not allow enough clearance for when the exhaust system vibrates while hitting bumps etc allowing the exhaust pipe to contact the trailer hitch.

One solution is to get an 8" metal hose clamp and tighten it down around the rubber exhaust hangar furthest back on the exhaust system.

The other is to buy a different hitch. No problems with the exhaust hitting my Putnam hitch and that includes bouncing around offroad.
  • Options
    I wrote to "Hidden Hitch" and they had this fix:
    In every case, I managed to get rid of the rattle by adjusting the
    hanger pins that attach the suspension rubbers.

Not just the back one, but the one just ahead of the muffler and the
    pair of opposing hangers that are about midships on the vehicle around
    the rear transaxle area.

All these pins need to have their shape adjusted to allow the exhaust to
    be centered in the muffler loop. If just the back one is adjusted, the
    exhaust is straining at the other rubbers and will move easily and cause
    the rattle. So far I have had good luck modifying the pin shape. I have
    had only one lady return not satisfied, but I fixed it by adjusting a
    little more.

We do have a Drawtite branded product, but it will be neccessary to
    remove the rear bumper fascia and inner impact bar to get access to the
    hitch mounting points on the vehicle. Not the easiest install, there are
    LOTS of fasteners that have to be removed and then replaced.
    Its design though does let the exhaust move around a lot more than ours
    without contacting the hitch because the crosstube is formed to pass
    over the top of the exhaust.

Some hitches (including Putnam) are suspect in that they attach to an
    area of the vehicle which is designated an impact crumple zone. The
    metal that they mount to is designed to bend and compress in an impact.
    If the hitch is overloaded, it will bend the frame. Customers usualy
    notice this when they start to see a gap between the bumper and body
    panels, but by then, too late. 87003 is mounted right to a structural
    area where the rear sub-frame mounts. Without doubt, it is the most
    durable in the industry.
  • Options
    Glad you found a better solution to fix the rattle that afflicts those hitches!

Are you a vendor for trailer hitches?

I've had my Putnam hitch loaded to near max capacity (3400 lbs) and driven across hundreds of miles of rough Texas highways with absolutely no signs of structural damage... The 4 main bolts of the Putnam hitch mount to the "structural" area just aft of where the rear subframe mounts, just like the Drawtite/Hidden hitches. The main difference is that the other bolts do not mount behind the 8 bolt impact absorber. You have to drill holes for the 2 other bolts below that area to secure the Putnam hitch. I like the way the Hidden/Drawtite hitches mount better than the way the Putnam does. But is it worth nearly double the price of the Putnam? In my opinion, no. Also, the RDV has no "frame", it is of unibody construction.

If you overload any hitch, particularly one attached to a carlike unibody, you are asking for trouble.
  • Options
    prismarkprismark Member Posts: 2
    How does one remove the rear bumper? I just ordered a hitch and was gonna try installing it over the weekend, but any tips about this part would be appreciated.
  • Options
    prismarkprismark Member Posts: 2
    OK, I guess it isn't as hard as it seems. For anyone not sure about doing this, you only need a few tools and a couple hours. Details and pictures from my little experience is documented here.

http://www.geocities.com/prismark/installing_hitch.html
  • Options
    Does anyone have the secret to removing the grill in my 03 RDV? I have removed the four screws visible on the outside, but still something else is keeping it from coming out. Seem like these new cars are hard to work on anything anymore.
    Thanks in advance. Nidge
  • Options
    Great instructions along with pictures. I would of attempted to do my own if I had this before I had mine installed.
  • Options
    THX M2KAPP,

JUST NOT SURE IF I HAVE AN EXPERTISE AND FACILITIES TO remove the rear bumper. Can I ask somebody else do it for me? othervise , great sourse info.
  • Options
    I bought a Draw tite hitch that is custom shaped for our cars. It is awesome and the install was very easy. I did the whole thing in less than 1 hour. The instructions at etrailer.com were perfect. It isn't too big a job, but I'm sure if you don't want to do it a local shop would do it and they should not charge too much as the time involved is minimal. I think changing our air filter is much worse!
  • Options
    Did U get 2"size receiver?

Which size is better, anybody?
    Is the hitch heavy? Does it address the problem Re impact crumple zones mentioned by cmccull message #150.
  • Options
    is that 87003 model is from Hidden Hitch?

thx
  • Options
    Yes, I have the Hidden Hitch model # 87003, Class 3. Now that I got the exhaust rattle fixed I am very happy with it.
  • Options
    Mine is a Drawtite Class 3
  • Options
    csealycsealy Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an '04 CXL Fwd and was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to add the HUD?
    thx.
  • Options
    Hm.. wanna feel like you are inside a F-15?
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    I have a 2002 Rendezvous CXL with the HUD and I think it's great. However, I don't think it would be possible to simply "add" one. First, as I understand it, if you have the HUD, the windshield itself is a different windshield that is specifically designed for this function. The windshield is from PPG and it's called Sungate HUD. Apparently, the metal/metal oxide coating is able to reject 60% of the sun's energy. Here's a link: http://www.ppg.com/_private/FrameResult.asp?f=/gls_autoglass/sung- ate.asp

In addition, the "projector" for the HUD is located almost directly behind the speedometer. So, I am guessing the dashboard itself is also completely different. Plus, there's got to be lots of wiring as the HUD displays: speed, radio station, CD track, turn signals, bright beams, and "Check Gages".

Good luck!

P.S. I rarely use the speedometer on the dashboard -- I typically only use the HUD now for speed.
This discussion has been closed.