Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2002 RDZ - with electric driver seat.
    because my wife puts the position of the driver seat quite differently than I and that the electric motors are quiete slow, I would like to add the memory1/2 buttons found in the luxury version(CXL)car door (I think) to my own car - is this possible? do I have to change seat?
    thanks to anyone that could help.
  • billylbillyl Member Posts: 9
    Want to change the horn on mine. Love everything about mine except the sound of the horn. Any help would be appreciated on whether it would disturb the computer. Would like to replace with a Park Ave horn or at least something that sounds better. Thanks in advance.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    I have a 2002 Rendezvous CXL with a roof rack. I'm looking for recommendations for a good soft-side roof top cargo carrier that's easy to attach to a Rendezvous roof rack. Thoughts? Thank you!

JK27
  • cudaal1cudaal1 Member Posts: 7
    So what is the best receiver size, 1 1/4", 2" etc?
    In terms of versatility attachments, carriers etc?
  • cudaal1cudaal1 Member Posts: 7
    did you replace turn lights with blue Sylvanias too?

I've been told it's not DOT compliant, can get a ticket.
    I have a 2002 CXL Rendezvous with factory roof rack. Does anybody know of any aftermarket accessories that fit into the factory roof rack? (e.g., anchors for holding down cargo, soft-side cargo carrier, hard-side cargo carrier, bike rack, etc.) Thanks in advance.
  • darrendarren Member Posts: 5
    Anyone find a source for a decently priced set of rubber/vinyl floor mats? Winter's coming up and I need to get some protection for my Rendezvous carpet. GM had some nice looking ones in their accessory catalogs, but on the gmcanada.com website it says they want $108.00 CDN for the fronts alone! That's nuts. Surely someone else must make these for GM and sell them at a lower price!

Thanks all!
  • darrendarren Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have some pics of your Rendezvous with a grille guard/push bar set up? I'd love to see what one would look like with that installed.
  • m2kappm2kapp Member Posts: 16
    Yes, I replaced the turn signal bulbs with silverstar versions. The ARE DOT legal. They are blue tinted in color, but flash a deep orange color, keeping them legal. I think they would look best in a 04+ Rendezvous with the clear lenses... I want to pick up a set of the new headlights. They look nicer and more modern than the '02-'03 orange ones IMO.
    I bought a Sears hard roof rack carrier, the "Sport 20SV" or something like that. Its the biggest one they sell (20cuft) and was on sale for like $200 IIRC. It attaches directly to the factory roof rack w/no modifications and fits great. Looks sleek up there too. Looks like a factory part and blends in well with the shape of the RDV. It really makes up for the lack of cargo space with the 3rd row seat in use. It is lockable and comes with a set of keys.

IMO Far better deal than buying a comparable Thule or Yakima unit (often double the price) AND you still have to buy the mounting kit!

Crosswinds affect the RDV alittle more than without it up there, but not unsafe feeling or scary.

Hope that helps!
    Forgot to add:

We drove through a big rainstorm once and everything inside the carrier was dry when we reached our destinations. Most soft carriers are not waterproof.
    M2kapp:

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. One more question ... does this unit attach to the cross bars or to the side rails (or to both)? Thanks again!

JK27
  • cudaalcudaal Member Posts: 34
    great, I agree. I did see headlights assembly on ebay
  • bflyerbflyer Member Posts: 3
    Do you know somewhere the sells the clear lenses for an 02 or can u just buy the 04 ones and they will fit in the 02?
  • bflyerbflyer Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know if you can just install any regular remote car starter to an 02 rendezvous cx, because some people I talk to said for gm u have to buy a certain switch and it cost an extra 150. If anyone knows of anyone or knows themselves plz let me know Thanks
  • montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    I had a remote starter (Viper) placed in my Taurus. The thing with the electronic key devices are that they are needed in order to start the car. One solution is a 'switch' which duplicates the signal. Another is to use a spare key with the signal and place it near the sensor (thus essentially bypassing the security code). The danger is that you're actually placing a key to the car within the car.

I did the latter, but they stripped the key so that it didn't work, but still bypassed the electronic code to allow the remote starter to work.
  • jim99jim99 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to add 3rd row seats to a 2003 Rendezvous that did not originally come with 3rd row seats? Thanks.
  • kissmeinkykissmeinky Member Posts: 12
    I would say not because it has a diferent floor pan in the rear. I know on the 2004 w/o 3rd row there is a different storage system in the floor than with the 3rd seat.
    Yes, it is possible. The 3rd row seat is secured to the floor pan with 4 nuts. There is no difference between floorpans. You would simply remove your storage tray (if equipped)and the 3rd row literally bolts right in.

To do it correctly, you should also add the 3rd row seatbelts as well. You will need the belts and buckles of course, but also D-pillar plastic trim covers from an RDV that had 3rd row seat... Although you can probably drill holes in your current pillar covers for the belts. The mounting points ARE behind those pillars.

You can locate most of the parts for a reasonable price through salvage yards or fleabay.
    Good luck and happy hunting! HTH
    Matt
  • kissmeinkykissmeinky Member Posts: 12
    Doesn't really seem it is worth all the trouble.
    I'm considering spray-on bumper top protector like those used for pickup trucks beds. will keep

you posted.
    Is that the one found in the RDV accessories catalog online, with the Rendezvous logo on it?

That one Is so poorly designed..
    where can you get skid plate from the Envoy?
    What dealer fix is available to encrease heater airflow? It fans are so inefficient.
    Are you basing your comment about "inefficient" heater due to the volume of air coming out of the dashboard vents -- or the floor vents?

I have the auto climate control version and, in the winter, it will put 100% of the air (heat) on the floor -- not through the dashboard vents. At first, I thought this was a bit weird, but seeing as hot air rises, I've found that this very quickly heats up the car. The volume of air that comes through the vents on the floor is HUGE.
  • lgret13lgret13 Member Posts: 21
    i have the same problem, the car just never gets warm, and i have the auto climate controls and keep it on manual mode at 80degrees and the car never gets hot but comfortably cool. The dealer looked it at once and found nothing wrong and its at the dealer again to check on this. when running the car for 30 minutes at 80 degrees it should be warm enough not to where a coat where in cold weather it never gets to that point. never had this problem in another car
    Igret:

There's definitely something wrong with your heater. I could not keep my heater at 80 degrees (even in the winter) without opening all the windows! My heater keeps the car very comfortable when set at 72, 73 or 74 (e.g., warm enough that I do take off my coat -- and I live in Wisconsin!).

Are you setting the vents to the floor (not through the dashboard vents)? A lot more heat will come through the floor vents than through the dashboard vents.

Take it to a different dealer if your car still does not heat up sufficiently!
    My dashboard vents are hardly blowing at all -just so so.. Floor vents are just a bit better, definitely need to fix it, just do not know how..

Had no problems with AC during last summer, mileage 0 to 5000
    I had a slow heater problem also. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat and I have no more complain. It is much better.

One has to remember that it is a large area to heat up so I won't work like a small baby car.
  • coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    I live in SC so my temperatures are nothign like Canada, but I agree with Duke, It takes a bit for the large volume of the interior to heat, but once you are rolling and it has had a bit of time it will definitely make you sweat. Floor vents have large volume. When I try to use the face vents, or floor and face the air flow is much more limited. I have the dual zone, manual climate control.
  • lgret13lgret13 Member Posts: 21
    When the temp here was 15 degrees I took it to the dealer again to show them that the heat was not hot and the engine temp gauge continues to remain at the 1/4 mark. Well after an entire day of them looking into the problem they spoke with GM techs and they informed the dealer that on my 2003 with auto controls I have to manually shut off the a/c compressor to get the heat to work properly even in full auto mode, I have to press the vent button to shut off the a/c compressor which in its auto default mode turns on the radiator and compressor fans bringing the engine temp and heat temp down. They said that the newer model rendezvous do not have this problem and this is the way of the 02's and 03's are designed. To me this sounds like a load of bull considering I have auto climate controls and now have to be conscious in the winter to shut the a/c (press the vent button) so the engine gets up to normal temp.

The others who have heating problems, what year is your vehicle and do u have Auto climate controls and if so does pressing the vent button make a difference?
  • coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    I don't have the auto control, but their answer sounds like total nonsense. I have the dual zone manual AC in my 03 CXL and I never turn off the A/C. When I sent the control to warm the air from the heater vents is hot, If I put it on cold then the air is cold. I think they are trying to make you go away.
    Is 87003 class 3 has 3500 LBS/ 350lbs tongue wht rating?

I just got one from the Hitches-forless and it labled 300Lbs tongue!

I don't get it!
  • jbienaimejbienaime Member Posts: 4
    Wondered if anyone knew where I can find a cargo bay cover. Also, I need a seat belt extender. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • goingfast366goingfast366 Member Posts: 1
    I know it's late in the winter but I just found this site. I bought a set of the GM factory rubber mats back in October from a dealership called Ekenhoff Buick-Hummer out of New Jersey. I don't remember the city. They were only $25.00 US and they are the GM originals and come in gray and tan. They can also order the second and third rows. I hope this helps you.
  • billy227billy227 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2004 RDV and a new Compass/Outside Temperature device. I want to run the ... hook to the DVD fuse (unused). I have all the items to hook up but not sure of best route through firewall. (Remove glovebox, etc.) Any advice would be appreciated!
    Noticed yesterday that the first 2 setting on the fan (1+2) were not working, only 3 and up.
    This morning only level 5 works and it is very loud.
    Anything I should check before I take it to the dealer?

I did the obvious CB and nothing is blown.

Perhaps it is mechanical contacts, but I am not sure.
    Thanks
  • erichnererichner Member Posts: 14
    Getting close to replacing all 4 tires (28K miles) and I'm looking for QUIET tires.

Any suggestions? Anyone has the Michelin LTX® M/S P215/70R16? Are they quiet?

Have anyone had problems with excessive noise from the rack and pinion when turning?
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I replaced the Firestone Affinity tires on my RDV with the Michelin LTX. I found it was a completely different ride and took awhile to get use to. I preferred the ride and feel of the Affinity tires, over the LTX tires. I feel the LTX tires give me a more stiffer ride more like a truck tire whereas the Affinity tires provided more of a luxury car ride. I don't do off road with my RDV and prefer the smother ride of the Affinity tires.
    ~Ken
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    i put a set of goodyear assurance quiet tread on our olds intrigue. belive me they are very quiet and have a good ride.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I too swiped out the Affinities for the Michelin LTX. In terms of noise, I find the LTX is so much more quieter, especially on concrete freeways. In terms of handling, I find the LTX also to be much more responsive, firmer, smoother, and less leaning in corners. The LTX has been around for a while and are generally rated pretty high.
    I am having a heck of a time removing the glovebox to install a new 12v circuit and temperature sensor from the dash to under the hood.
    I removed the 4 screws holding the glovebox and the large plastic covering the air blower below the glovebox but it still will not come out. I suspect it is clipped to a bar runnning under the bottom of the glovebox - but not sure and I do not want to break anything. Anyone know if clips hold it to the
    black bar?
    I have solved this problem by removing glovebox, popping up the dash moulding, and routing wires through rubber plug in firewall.
  • wdwscottieboywdwscottieboy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 CX Plus and I want to do some mods to it. I want to put some nice rims on it, but don't know what size to get that would look good. What size would be good, and not too much, as in too big. I think 20's would look nice, but I'm not sure.

Also, has anyone put the Xenon headlights in, or know which ones would be good for them?

One more thing, is it worth changing the stock CD/Cassette player to get a new CD player just to get a system put in the rear? If it's a lot of hassle with all the speakers in there, the steering wheel controls and all that, I'm not going to mess with it.

Thanks for all the help in advance!
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    You can go to tirerack.com and select new wheels (rims) for the RDV. They have a page that lets you look at how different wheel packages look on the RDV.
  • wdwscottieboywdwscottieboy Member Posts: 3
    They had a good selection of tires on there for the RDV, but they only have 16-18, and I was wanting something more like a 20". Does anyone know where you can find rims and have them put on the car themself to see what they look like?

Thanks again for the site, if only they showed more sizes.
  • erichnererichner Member Posts: 14
    Any suggestions on reputable companies or low priced dealer warranties for my 2002 CXL? I'll be running out of warranty by November and want to get a good company that won't go belly up!

Also want to give thanks to everyone on the board. I cut and pasted all the recurring problems and when I went to my dealer for service I pointed out the elbow for the BCM, the rear bearing issue and the head gasket and all issues were well taken and resolved without problem.

Now - due to the board's experiences that pointed out problems with my CXL - I still love my CXL and want to keep it for a few years but I don't dare go alone without an extended warranty.

How much is decent to pay for a $0 deductible 7 year 100,000 mile warranty?
  • dpetersondpeterson Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if it's possible to add the DIC to a base RDV. I'm not looking for the heads up, just the DIC.

Thanks
  • me8eme8e Member Posts: 7
    Regarding extended warranty....shop the GM dealers..(all of them;any GM dealer can/will sell you an extended warranty for your CXL) Give 'em a call an obtain a quote. I did this on my wife's Caddy...saved a few hundred bucks.Finally bot from a chevy dealer.
  • me8eme8e Member Posts: 7
    You might try double sided tape (exterior use).I've had excellent results with the 3M brand. Just ensure that you wipe the area to be covered... with alcohol ( not thu drinkin' kind :) .
This discussion has been closed.