Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Wow! Now that's what I call ambitious!
  • richardbaughmarichardbaughma Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering adding a trailer hitch for bicycle rack. Does this interfere with the spare tire removal?
  • john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    No, the trailer hitch will not interfere w/ the spare tire removal. We added a GM hitch last year and purchased a Thule bike rack to go w/ it. In fact my wife just took the RDV, kids & bikes up to Yosemite this past week; I get to join them soon for about 6 days there. Can't wait!

The GM hitch that was available for the RDV last year had a small receiver (3/4 " I believe), but it works fine w/the bike rack. Interestingly enough, when I bought the original bike rack from GM, I found that it was meant for a larger hitch receiver; so, we had to return it. The Thule rack seems to be a good one.
  • clawrclawr Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to purchase a 2003 CXL RDV. I see from posts that Wood Dashes, Running Boards can be ordered for them....I would like some advice from owners: would the Buick Dealer install these items after I receive them? I am a no brain when it comes to installing items such as these, or should I find a local garage to install the items? I would prefer the dealer. I am also keen on finding MudGards for the RDV, has anybody else found them? If anybody else has added accessories to their RDV, please let me know....clawr@earthlink.net
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    I would think that the dealer would only install accessories like the running boards, wood dash kit, etc. if they were Buick/GM parts. They probably won't be, so I'd expect you'd need to have a garage do it for you.

Just my thoughts.
    Just wondering if anybody has purchased the RDV running boards from www.boards4less.com AND how tough the installation is. Is drilling necessary? Are you happy with the boards? Anybody know of any other running boards which fit the RDV? Thanks.
    I didn't get any responses last time ... and it's been awhile, so i'll bump this up again. Has anybody purchased the running boards from boards4less.com? Was the install difficult? Any drilling necessary? Did you buy them prepainted? Any other running boards which fit the RDV? Thanks.
  • montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    Has anyone installed a navigation system into their RDV?

We're interested in putting the Pioneer DVD system in, but don't know where to place the machine (?Center console for easier access).
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    I haven't installed a Nav system, but there's a couple pictures from a guy who installed one in his Rendezvous here somewhere. Might be in the pictures section or in the general Rendezvous room (the one with a couple thousand messages). His pictures should be in the last couple months. You should be able to get his e-mail address from that post.
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    The posts were #2750 and 2777 in Rendezvous discussion.

Pioneer DVD is a good system, but with no spare space in the dashboard the monitor will need to be installed on top or on the side of the dash. You can't use the motorized DVD+screen combo without pulling out the factory CD changer.

Our machine (navigation computer) was installed between the second row seats on the floor. The installer also looked for space in the dashboard console under the trunk release row of buttons - there's air duct there, the cargo compartment in the back - there's spare wheel lowering screw there, the first row console facing the 2nd row - there's air duct there as well, under the driver or passenger seat - the motor comes too close when the seat is lowered all the way.
    It has to be mounted horizontally for the gyroscope to work, so the side space behind the third row where the power outlet is didn't work either.
    The GPS sensor was placed on the top right corner (looking from inside) of the windshield. Don't place it next to the Onstar GPS sensor as they give interference to each other. Placing it on rear side window deteriorated reception.
    Make sure sensor is in the no-metal part of the windshield if you have heads-up-display coated windshield.
    Pioneer system comes with a remote control or with voice control - I had no experience with these and don't know where to put microphone or the remote control.

Good luck and make sure to post pictures when you are done.

Regards,
    Taras
  • podanielpodaniel Member Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me what the output wattage is for a 2002 Buick Rendezvous sound system?I have the U1Q-ETR system. Thanks
  • nessernesser Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where to find usable, reasonably priced cargo nets for the RDV? I'd like to get a product like the nets/organizer system offered for the Aztec. However, since the rear cargo area in the Aztec is shorter than the RDV, the Aztec nets don't look like they'll fit.

Also, I'd like to find a protector for the top of the rear bumper. Most other SUVs come standard with this, or offer it as an option.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I too looked for a rubber step plate for the rear bumper on several online auto accessories sites. Unfortunately, my search has come up blank. If you do find something, please let us know. Thanks.
    Can someone tell me what the output wattage is for a 2002 Buick Rendezvous sound system?I have the U1Q-ETR system. Thanks
    Nextmoon, we're in luck! Your description of this protector as a "step plate" led me to a similar description that works - "step pad."

I've found 2 sources:

Pacer Step Pad Kit, made specifically for preventing scuffs on bumper sills, 6" x 4"
    Available from www.autobarn.net/pac22290.html
    Made by Pacer Performance Products 5345 San Fernando Road W. Los Angeles,
    CA 90039, Fax: 818-507-5999 Email: sales@pacerperformance.com They also make smaller scuff protectors, 10-3/8" L x 1-3/4" W 3/8" Thick sold in pairs.

www.sportsimportsltd.com/stepbycarste.html - this is a universal product, looks like 2 pieces ea. 4" x 17" I can't make out the Mfr's. name, though. Also looks like a more agressive tread design.
    The first Pacer kit dimensions were supposed to be 6' (feet) by 4" (inches)
    I will definitely look into it! Thanks for doing some of the leg work. Post back if you decide to go with one of these products.
    I also found this sold by JC Whitney, one of the larger sellers.

RIBBED NO-SLIP STEP PADS. Approx. 4" wide x 1/8" thick in either 6 or 20ft rolls.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14913&BQ=jcw2

• lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    Could you tell me which stereo the "U1Q-ETR" system is? How many speakers did your RDV come with and do you have the in-dash 6-CD changer.

Thanks,

~Lance
    My sound system is U1Q-ETR with single cd and tape player with a 8 speakers. I would like to know the power wattage
    The stock systems put out about 10-20 watts (RMS) per channel at 4-ohm. are you planning on replacing your speakers or CD player in the near future? Let me know, I can help you out w/ some problems you're going to run into.

~Lance

Lance, Thanks for the information. need your help on installing a CD changer. It is the type with a F.M modulator. My main question is what's the best way to access the back of the factory radio to install the modulator?Also what is your option on the location of the CD changer?
  • smofysmofy Member Posts: 1
    I saw some previous messages about cargo mats and was wondering if anyone has purchased the one sold thru GM, or tried another kind? Our RDV does not have the third seats. Would the one sold for the Aztec fit? Thanks.
    Joe
    Well, from what I remember (it's been about a year since I've done this) the easiest way to get everything off is to remove the whole plastic cover on the dash around the stock radio with a butter knife or if you can get one, a panel removal tool, crutchfield.com sells one, it seems to reduce any sort of scratching. Once you get the panel off there should be 2 bolts, one on each side of the radio. I think they're 7mm, but I could be wrong. Once you get those off you can just pull the radio out and get at the plugs and what not.

As far as where you put a CD changer, you can fit in easily in the glove box, or in the center console thing where we're supposed to put our lap tops, since we all carry laptop computers in a cars. Hehehe. Anyway, that should get your going, let me know if you run into any other problems.

~Lance
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You mean you don't carry a laptop with you in your RDV?

I use mine to record acceleration and cornering forces when I autocross my RDV to compare different tire/suspension setups. The console really helps keep the laptop from flying around the cockpit.

Still hunting for that 1.0g...
    Oh no, I use my Formula 1 RaceLink system to download engine data and what not directly into my crew's truck which follows me around every where. You should look into it since it really cuts down weight and we all know, every pound counts. ;-)

~Lance
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Sorry, I haven't the budget to support a full crew...yet.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Tiger's "people" about sponsoring me.
    Lance,
    Thanks for your advice.I had already installed the cd changer my the time I saw your reply. It did go pretty much the way you said. You have some good ideas on there to install the changer. ended up putting it under the front passenger seat.
    You've got to be careful putting electronics under the seat. I was going to put my Pioneer Digital Processor under the seat for my audio system but I got a little worried when I saw there was in fact an auxillary heat duct under the seat for the rear passenger's feet. The type of heat that comes out of there would probably overheat any electronic device put under there, if not it would add to the heat already produced by electronics and greatly shorten the life of your components... just be careful.

~Lance
    I did notice the heater vent under the seat before I installed the changer.I was careful not be put the change directly in front of the vent.I hope that helps with the overheating issuse.Your advice is greatly appericate
  • mnfish1mnfish1 Member Posts: 14
    I have remote starter on my other Buick Century. Does anyone have info about installation on RDV ...specifically the cost ...bypass on security system...where you had work done...the range of your system..thanks
    Any remote starter will work on the RDV... you're typically going to pay about $150-$400 for the unit itself plus installation... obviously it'll be more if you plan on adding an aftermarket security system with various accessories. It's a good idea, but the funny thing is remote starters are illegal in most states, you've got to love how the law works. Chances are pretty good they're not going to give you a ticket for it though, unless they really don't like you.

~Lance
  • golden2golden2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a rdv without the 3rd row seat and told the dealer I wanted a cargo cover to hide my golf clubs so noone would break in to steal them. He put one on, but I don't much like it. It is more of a shade which is attached to the hooks with velcro strips. Does anyone know if they make a rigid cover which will roll up like an accordian when not in use? Since the windows are tinted heavily, maybe I don't really need one.

Thanks
  • duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    sorry for the late answer, I have the delux mat and suggest it strongly - this was thrown in at the end of the negociation -and I was happy- the sale person did not know the price of this baby (150$ cdn probably 100$ US) but it is very sturdy and thick. It is reversible (carpet and rubber).
    The only draw back is that I have the 3rd row and when I pull up the seat, the cargo mat take some room away behind it (rolled).
    However, I have happy I have it to protect the back.
    If any body has any experience in buying or installing a class II or III hitch for RDV, I would appreciate some advice...wdhere bought price installation time etc...thanks.
  • duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    I had a class 2 installed in about 1 hours last fall. It is a "hidden hitch" I beleive, rated at 3500lbs, 200lbs down.
    I had checked the class 3 from the same company, although they have a bigger hitch (2" square), it has the same rating of 3500lbs and 200lbs down.
    The class 2 was about $100 cheaper, but the class 3 has more attachment available - I notice later - such as swinging 4-bike racks.

I stayed away from the home-made place to make sure the proper clearance from the exausth pipe and proper rust proofing.

Good luck in your choice.
  • viktarinaviktarina Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys,I am new here,but I have my RDV since july,2002.I am wondering did somebody see grill guard or something similar to that for our Rendezvous?Thanks in advance.
    There is grill guard for Rendezvous. It's a set for front and taillights. There was no picture for RDV specifically, but the sample for Explorer looked rather squarish and unaesthetic, and cost about $500-600 for the set.
    I know it's out there, because I saw the web page myself, but don't have the link. I found it with Google about 6 months back. If you find it, please post it here.
    Regards,
    Taras
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Hey Taras.
    There are a lot of them out there try this one.

http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/2002-buick-rendezvous.html

~Ken
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    For a 35k car with the trailing package, I was surprised that it did not have the hitch. Dealer asked for almost 700 dollars for hitch and harness installed including taxes.
    I place an order the www.gmpartsdirect.com for 228.20 + 20% SH. I am still waiting for the delivery.
    Does anyone here have installed a GM one? Any instructions or figures? All the GM sites just show a picture of one but installed.
    Thanks for your reply.
    just last week my 'new' buick rdv hitch arrived. it is a reese class 3 i think...it has the u shaped configuration on the right for the exhaust. i am planning on installing it next week...that is if it warmes up in MN this week...any suggestions...
    see my posting #3365 in the Rendezvous SUV board
    Has *anybody* added running boards to their RDV? If so, can you share what kind and how much $? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do know that www.boards4less.com have some, but that is the only source I have been able to locate ($455 painted, not installed)
    Did anyone try the cargo net system from the Aztek with 22 configurations?
    See Aztek accessory catalog, gmgoodwrench.com GM part# 12497093.
  • philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone replaced the stock rear hatch lifters with something stronger? The stock lifters are strong enough and require help getting the hatche fully open. I would be very interested in finding stronger lifter to get the job done right.
    Will stronger lifters also make the lid harder to close as well?
    I am trying to decide whether the taillights would actually look better or worse if painted around the edge to look curved. What do you think?

If the image doesn't load, open it from www.geocities.com/makogon/rdvtaillight.jpg

Regards,
    Taras
    I think it's a good idea and all but one of the few nice lines on the RDV is the line from the pillar in the read that transisions into the tail lights assembly... it really cleans up the rear 1/4 of the car with the drasticly sloping glass and what not... I'd keep mine the way they are but to each their own I guess... one of the things that would look nice on the RDV are the "euro" style tail lenses... similar to what the RX330 has and many other cars... it would being a lot of continuity between the headlights and the taillights... too bad nobody makes them for the RDV... yet...

~Lance
  • 03whitecxl03whitecxl Member Posts: 13
    These are the things I have done to our CXL. 1.Painted the front chrome Buick section of the grill to match the color of the car. (Mixed feelings of look but basicly like)
      Thinking about painting the amber part of the front headlights white to match the paint and the painted chrome grill to give a lower look to the front facia much like the Rainier. (would leave the front of the amber light unpainted for functionality)
    2. Bolted on a stainless steel exhaust square oval tip. (looks very good for a bolt on)
    3. Put in a K&N air filter. (seems to have a little more power)
    4. Since I just found this msg board was on my own search and I found Home Depot has some baseboard wall rubber which in nearly the color of my lower accent color and I used this to make a rear step protector using double sided 3m tape.
    (Was pre-cut, looks/works decent although not entirely professional looking)
    If you can, post some pics of your mods.
This discussion has been closed.