Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    So why are you mad at me? Because my intake gasket repair was covered by warranty? I'm just a fellow Rendezvous driver who had nothing to do with 1) your mechanical problems, 2) your warranty, or 3) the trade-in value of your Rendezvous. :confuse:

Did you look into the lemon law in your state? How far "up the ladder" did you go with GM and Buick? Did you file a formal complaint(s) with them? What happened? :confuse:
  • mnyhats1mnyhats1 Member Posts: 19
    jk27:

I don't think people are mad at you but at your attitude. If you had gone through some of these problems, perhaps you would sympathize a bit more. I have gone to GM, I have sent in a letter with all my documentation. They called to tell me no and now I can't get them to send me a 'no' letter in writing so I can take it higher up. I am planning to go to the local newspaper, hoping that will have an effect but I won't do that til I hear back from them. To explain how bad it is, I have called three times and left messages and they won't return my calls. I finally called and asked my rep to let me know the name of his manager since I intend to pursue this. No call. I called in to GM without using my ID number and that person told me he couldn't tell me the name of my rep's supervisor, that I would have to get it from that person. Supposedly he is required to give me his supervisor's name but he won't call me back. Any suggestions? I have already reported my problems at the National Traffic Safety website but unfortunately, most of the people that use this site, haven't reported their problems there. I do love my RDV and am heartsick that GM won't stand behind their product. Customer Service is gone! If you have any other suggestions, I would be happy to listen. I don't think having problems with wheel bearings only is worth the lemon law issue but I would certainly like some satisfaction from GM. I would love to continue driving RDVs but not if this is going to be the situation. Thanks for reading my comments!

mnyhats :sick:
  • leomomleomom Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2004 Buick Rendezvous - I have a weird noise when I turn the car off after running the air conditioner and/or defroster, sometimes it is a low moan noise and sometimes it is so loud people actually look at you. I took it in to the dealer and they said it is from the air conditioner unit - can't be fixed. Has anyone had this problem and if so any solution or fix?
    mnyhats1:

Thanks for the reply. I have been up front about the fact that I have had some problems with my Rendezvous -- so I don't think it's fair to say that I can't or don't "sympathize" with fellow Rendezvous owners. Of course, I do -- and I'm not happy that people are experiencing problems (that could affect my resale value). Fortunately, ALL my problems have been covered by Buick (both in and out of warranty). However, my entire point is that it is not correct, accurate or fair to extrapolate or generalize or make sweeping statements or conclusions based on a few internet posts ("few" = relative to the 200,000 Rendezvous that have been sold) that, for example, ALL Rendezvous BCM's (or wheel bearings, or AC condensors, or whatever) are bad. Or worse, that the ENTIRE Rendezvous line is affected and that the Rendezvous is not a good car.

The simple fact is that many, many Rendezvous owners have not experienced these problems. If every single owner was experiencing the same problems, I would be much more concerned -- and a recall would be in order -- but, so far, that's not the case. The other inescapable fact that seems to be ignored by some posters is that the quality and repair rate of the Rendezvous has improved each and every year the model has been in production. The 2004 Rendezvous is now a Consumer Reports "recommended" buy -- and now has a "Better-than-average overall reliability." So, for those who claim Buick has done nothing to address problems are in denial.

As for my attitude? My attitude is that all makes and models of automobiles will have some bad apples (or lemons) and repair problems ... and some will have more than others. MY experience with MY Rendezvous has been very positive. Sure, I've had some problems, but it's still a good, safe, comfortable car. That's what I was looking for. How, possibly, can that be viewed as a "bad attitude"????? That is based upon my own personal ownership experience.

If you are serious about contacting Buick and voicing your complaints, I suggest you contact Buick corporate and explain your situation. The specific procedure is set forth in your owner's manual:

If your concern has not been resolved to your satisfaction, the following steps should be taken:

STEP ONE -- Discuss your concern with a member of dealership management. Normally, concerns can be quickly resolved at that level. If the matter has already been reviewed with the sales, service or parts manager, contact the owner of the dealership or the general manager.

STEP TWO -- If after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, contact the Buick Customer Assistance Center by calling 1-800-521-7300. In Canada, contact GM of Canada Customer Communication Centre in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777 (English) or 1-800-263-7854 (French). We encourage you to call the toll-free number in order to give your inquiry prompt attention. Please have the following information available to give the Customer Assistance Representative:

Vehicle Identification Number (This is available from the vehicle registration or title, or the plate at the top left of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield.)
     Dealership name and location
     Vehicle delivery date and present mileage

When contacting Buick, please remember that your concern will likely be resolved at a dealer’s facility. That is why we suggest you follow Step One first if you have a concern.

STEP THREE -- Both General Motors and your dealer are committed to making sure you are completely satisfied with your new vehicle. However, if you continue to remain unsatisfied after following the procedure outlined in Steps One and Two, you should file with the GM/BBB Auto Line Program to enforce any additional rights you may have. Canadian owners refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet for information on the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). The BBB Auto Line Program is an out of court program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus to settle automotive disputes regarding vehicle repairs or the interpretation of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Although you may be required to resort to this informal dispute resolution program prior to filing a court action, use of the program is free of charge and your case will generally be heard within 40 days. If you do not agree with the decision given in your case, you may reject it and proceed with any other venue for relief available to you.

You may contact the BBB using the toll-free telephone
    number or write them at the following address:

BBB Auto Line
    Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
    4200 Wilson Boulevard
    Suite 800
    Arlington, VA 22203-1804
    Telephone: 1-800-955-5100

This program is available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Eligibility is limited by vehicle, age, mileage and other factors. General Motors reserves the right to change eligibility limitations and/or discontinue its participation in this program.

Good luck. Please let us know what happens.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    jk old boy,
    You'd better reread my posts.All our 2002 RDV problems happened in Jan-Feb 2004 and we traded it off in early March 2004.Where do you come up with this 2-3 year ago crap?It was just a little over a year ago when we got our new Toyota Highlander.If Buick had built a reliable RDV we would still own ours.Unfortunately we got a lemon.

2002-03 RDV's have a lousy trade in value so we took a $5,000 bath to get rid of ours just before it ran out of factory warranty..$5,000 might be pocket change for a corporate lawyer but it sure isnt for us and many others.

If anyone needs ammo to prove to their Buick dealer or GM that theirs isnt the only RDV having a certain problem I'll be glad to refer them to numerous automotive websites I have found that list problem RDV's.
  • richnj1richnj1 Member Posts: 1
    12,000 miles on my '04 - loved it at first, now wondering what I should do. Brought it back to the dealer 2X, bringing it back next week.

1. Hard Tranny - shifting from reverse to drive is very hard - even after they had the car for 2 days and replaced the diagnostic issues found inside the tranny. also, at highway speeds, find engaging and deengaging the accelerator is hard.

2. Odometer Noise - thought it was the steering column at first, but after driving with my head between the steering column and dash, i find that when going over small bumps, especially when the car is warm or the weather is warmer (>70), a metallic, loose noise is coming from behind the odometer/speedometer.

3. Pulsating & Loose Feeling on the Steering Wheel - This is my biggest issue!!! - It almost feels as if the wheel is about to come off or as if you can feel EVERY bump the front suspension is taking on. since the dealer is off the highway, it is very difficult to replicate. however, it happens the most in city driving, especially between 20 and 40 mph - most frequently when turning, and almost always able to replicate when going down hill with the breaks on coming to a stop - especially on a road that hasn't been paved in the past year.

Any help or thoughts would be FANTASTIC!!! Right now, my wife's '04 VUE blows this RDV away in terms of reliability and is $10000 cheaper.

I have called Buick and have been turned back to the dealership for a 3rd time.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....is it getting warm in here, or is it just me? :shades:

I realize how incredibly frustrating and disappointing it is when you've laid out a lot of money for a vehicle that doesn't meet expectations. I don't think there is any make/model that is exempt from problems. However, let's do try to keep it about the vehicle and not about the person you're disagreeing with.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Perhaps it is only a little over a year ago you got rid of your RDV. However it just seems a lot longer. What is the grieving period for a lemon anyway? I am sure you are not the only person to have had the miss fortune of getting a lemon and losing money on it. However I am also sure you wont be the last.

I am not trying to defend Jeff or speak for him but if you could just take a deep breath and give it a rest I think you may see he is saying "SOME RDV's HAD PROBLEMS" and "SOME RDV's DIDN'T HAVE PROBLEMS" period. Nothing too complicated or earth shattering to understand.

I honestly don't think his statements on the RDV reflect a lack of passion or sympathy towards people who have had problems with their RDV's. His and mine have been positive experiences and I would hope there are more with a positive experience then one's with negative experiences. Otherwise I am sure Buick would cease production on the RDV.

This forum is for people with problems with their RDV's. Problem is some tend to repeat their postings over and over and no matter how many times or ways that posting occurs it is still only "ONE RDV" having that problem and shouldn't imply or reflect that "ALL RDV's" are having that same problem. I think it would be hard pressed to find a mass produced vehicle irregardless of price which didn't have production problems and/or unhappy customers.

You sound like you are happy with your Toyota and that is great, but check the Toyota forums and you will find a lot of people who aren't happy with their Toyota's and feel the same way toward Toyota as you do toward the RDV. That is one of the great things of living in this country "Freedom Of Choice" :shades: .

Everybody is entitled to an opinion some just have more opinions than others. Which by the way is also fine :blush:

Best,
    Ken

jk27:

Thanks for all your information and yes, I am very serious about pursuing my problem with GM. However, I have already done what you have suggested, i.e. gone to Buick Customer Assistance, same telephone number you provided. They are the ones that will not return my calls so I can take it higher up. I sent in all my documentation after they required me to get it fixed through a dealership implying they would reimburse me in full. After I did that, they refused and now will not respond. This has all been in prior postings. Since you were so thorough in your suggestions, I think I will begin Step Three and see where that goes. Unfortunately, it sounds, from what you presented, that they will not do anything 'out of warranty.' ("Eligibility is limited by vehicle, age, mileage and other factors....") I think I'm out of luck but I will give them a call. Thanks again.

mnyhats :cry:
  • cristybd1cristybd1 Member Posts: 1
    Since we purchased our Rendezvous we have a chirping/squealing noise to the point you cannot have your window down it is that loud on the passenger side ...took it to the dealer and they replaced a hub... Now the noise is back again...was it the hub or is it some other problem pleasee help desparate in Pennsylvania....Its summer and would like to put the windows down.
  • bab4jdbbab4jdb Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2002 AWD CX with 42K miles. As anticipated, the lower intake manifold gasket began to leak at 39K miles. The reservoir was only down a 1/4", but I knew what to look for based on all of the postings on this forum. The dealer replaced the upper and lower gaskets at no charge, with very little prodding from me, even though the vehicle was out of warranty. Today, the BCM failed, as expected. Check engine light was followed by the "security" light over the odometer. Headlights no longer worked. Hatch opened all by itself. Radio dislpayed "locked". The dealer, again replaced this item, out of warranty, at no charge. But this time, it took some longer discussion and persuasion. I basically told the service manager that there are four major items that will fail on this vehicle. It's not a question of "if". It's a question of "when". Those items are the manifold gaskets, BCM, wheel bearings and a/c condenser. I was up front with him. I told him that he has all of my service business even though he is more expensive than other repair shops. But that I intend on pressing him to cover the wheel bearings and the a/c condenser when they eventually go. He didn't say he would, but he didn't say he wouldn't. The key here is to have a reputable dealer to work with and to have a relationship with the service shop by throwing some business at them even though one could get the work done more cheaply elsewhere. With this vehicle, I believe it is in my best interest to maintain that relationship by having work done there until at least all four items are taken care of. One could argue that if the dealer covered all four of these while out of warranty, he deserves to have your business.

In any case, two of four have been completed. I await the other two. This has been our first Buick, even though we have been lifelong GM vehicle owners. It has not been my favorite vehicle, but besides these items, it has been trouble free.

Please do not pay for any of these four items without a fight. Do not believe any dealer that tells you that they haven't seen "too many" of (fill in the blank with one of the four). If the dealer will not help you, call Buick. Then write Buick and don't stop until you get satisfaction. They bank on you getting tired and giving up. Don't do it. No one should have to shell out close to $4K to get known problems fixed because the manufacturer won't stand behind the product. Especially on items that should almost never go on any vehicle....at least any with under 100K miles.

PS: I saw a recent posting about someone having a problem with a groaning sound coming from the vehicle when they turn "right". This is fixed by flushing/filling the AWD fluid in the rear axle. There is a service bulletin that the dealer knows about.

PPS: This is my first posting. I've been lurking on this forum for about two years. I felt I should write to tell of my experience because it was due to people such as yourselves, who took the time to write, who provided me with the information to fight back and aided me in getting some of this resolved. Thank you!!
    Hi bab4jdb!

Thank YOU for taking the time to describe your problems. I have gone to Buick Customer Service at GM (see my many previous notes) and cannot get a response. They have already told me no but will not send me a letter of denial or call to give me the name of a supervisor. I will persist. I have finally contacted a friend who is getting me some names of 'higher-ups' hoping they will help me. I do love my RDV and just hope none of the other things go wrong. Two wheel bearings were enough. Thanks for your encouragement. It came at a good time. This gets very discouraging. Knowing that some people are having success 'out of warranty' certainly helps.

Have a great day!

mnyhats :D
    mnyhats1 said, "I have gone to Buick Customer Service at GM (see my many previous notes) and cannot get a response. They have already told me no but will not send me a letter of denial or call to give me the name of a supervisor. I will persist. I have finally contacted a friend who is getting me some names of 'higher-ups' hoping they will help me."

In my humble opinion, I believe the best advice for you is to follow the procedure set forth in your owner's manual (I copied and pasted it above). If you do not follow the procedure, Buick will likely tell you to do so. In addition, if you attempt to follow the procedure and Buick does not follow through, this will not be viewed favorably by the Better Business Bureau, a court or a jury. Document everything you have done (dates, times, photocopies, certified mail, return-receipt requested, etc.). When I filed my lemon law claim (not against Buick), I had to prove that I followed the manufacturer's grievance procedure exactly. Just trying to be helpful ...
  • mmd124mmd124 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! My 02 RDV is in the shop again for what seems to be a similar problem. It has already had the BCM replaced at 1000 miles an the head gasket went with 15000 miles and now the steering wheel is making a squeeling sound when you turn it as well as a pulsing turning the wheel at times and it also makes a moaning noise when you make a hard turn just after starting it up. Of course they can never hear what I hear or give me some made-up answer as to what is wrong without actually taking anything apart to investigate. I've got 32000 miles on and we are heading towards the end of our warranty. We got some big decisions to make.
  • gymnastfwbgymnastfwb Member Posts: 1
    Well here it goes....my RDV won't start now...never had a problem...have had it about 1 year..bought it used...somebody got smart and traded it in. It is an 02 Buick RDV....now I have to have it towed from my driveway to the dealer...I asked the service advisor and he said he has never heard of the problem of a RDV not starting....this is going to be a great fight. Just wanted to add another 02 RDV owner not starting....new battery...new alt.....nothing works...waiting for the wheel bearings and A/C...44000 K........trouble and money ahead for me...looking to trade after reading all of the posts.
    Although people will blame the BCM for all types of problems, the fact is that BCM's on the Rendezvous do not affect engine cranking, starting or running. From the gmtechlink website (http://gmtechlink.com/index.html)

Rendezvous BCM Replacement

One of the common reasons for replacing the BCM was listed as “no crank, no start.” In nearly all situations on the Rendezvous, the BCM has no function in engine starting. In fact, if the BCM were completely removed from the vehicle, the engine would still start and run (although numerous codes would set!).

TIP: This is not true for all GM vehicles with BCMs. The vehicles share names for components like BCMs but have different functions, depending on the vehicle line. This is a good reason to review the Service Information before performing any diagnostics on a vehicle.

I also found this info on BCM's:

Motorola Body Control Modules (BCM's)

This information applies to the Motorola BCMs used in several GM vehicle lines:
    - Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo
    - Pontiac Aztek/Buick Rendezvous
    - Chevrolet Equinox

TIP: A microprocessor condition that affected early BCMs was corrected during the 2003 model year, beginning with p/n GMAN169 (Impala/Monte Carlo) and GMAN410C (Aztek/Rendezvous). Any BCM with a higher part number contains the microprocessor improvement. The Equinox, a newer vehicle, never had the earlier microprocessor.

Based on the history of these earlier control modules, technicians consider BCM replacement as the appropriate remedy for a number of customer concerns and vehicle conditions. However, with the improved microprocessor, this is not often the case. Analysis shows that almost 75% of BCMs replaced under warranty have no trouble found (NTF) ... In the following tables, you will learn which systems the BCM directly controls, the systems with which the BCM has an interaction, and the systems with which the BCM has no interaction. As you can see, these lists vary considerably between vehicle lines.

Aztek/Rendezvous BCM

Directly Controls
    - Door Locks
    - Interior/Exterior Lights
    - Power Mode Master
    - Battery Rundown Protection
    - Electrical Power Management
    - Security/Alarm (Content Theft Deterrent only)
    - RAP Relay
    - Fog Lamps (Aztek only)
    - Personalization Features
    - BTSI (MY03+)
    - Reverse Lights (MY03+)

Interaction
    - Radio - Theftlock, RAP
    - Cluster - Some Indicators
    - A/C - PPEI
    - Cooling Fan - PPEI
    - Rear Park Assist – Chime (Rendezvous only)
    - RFA – X Link
    - SDM -- Store p/n
    - MemorySeats - Personalization
    - Power Windows – RAP
    - Sunroof - RAP

No interaction
    - Wipers
    - Engine Cranking/ Starting/ Running
    - HUD head up display
    - Mirrors

Bottom line: the BCM has NOTHING to do with engine cranking, starting or running.

Source: February 2005 Issue on http://gmtechlink.com/index.html
  • badbuick1badbuick1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Karen - I'm experiencing a problem now. I bought my Buick Rendezvous feb 2004. On April 1st It shut down on me while I was on the road. I had to have it towed to the dealer where I bought the car. They looked at this and that and said it was clogging in my fuel injecters. Crap! I won't mention that they originally said the car was fine but when I went to pick it up it would'nt start. Anyways, they finally got it running. Only now I have a power problem. The car has these power surges whenever i stop for a light. My head lights start to dim as well as my dash board lights. The engine revs high & low. The motor sounds like crap and it thumops whenever the power starts to surge. So I received an "ignition relay" recall which I thought might solve the problem. No such luck. The dealer researched the problem and came up with a report from GM stating that this is common behavior for this vehicle and that this is normal??????? The mechanic told me that there is nothing I anyone can do about this problem and that I'm stuck with it. I'm in the process of working with GM on an extended warranty for this particular component but let me tell you, I'm pissed as hell. I truly like the car but I only have 6500 miles on it and it sounds like I have 65000 miles. Are you having any problems too?? Please let me know.
  • badbuick1badbuick1 Member Posts: 2
    Cyndi1 - It's 6/3/05 -How's your car now??? I'm having problems with my 2004 RDV. Power surges. My dashboard & headlights dim. My motor revs. At times my cd player volumes goes down all by itself. Thumping in the engine. And worst of all, No solution from GM.
  • rostarrostar Member Posts: 2
    I used to like my 2002 Rendezvous CXL. I have 65000 miles on it and I the last year have had to replace both front hubs, a/c condenser, alternator. The paint is starting to blister on the front hood and the paint is almost gone on the radio controls on the steering wheel. The only thing that is a known problem that I haven't replaced is the BCM and the intake seals. Sure Its just a matter of when not if on these items. This car has the worst quality of any vehicle that I have ever owned. And don't give me the "every vehicle has problems" search the internet for problems and look at the resale values. This car now has a well earned reputation as unreliable. Reliability may have improved as the years have passed but It could also be that some of these problems don't always appear until a year or two or more. Avoid this car as it is a concept that was poorly constructed. Unlike in 2002 when I bought this there are now several vehicles that can do what the RDV can and from companies with better track records on customer service and quality. I will never buy a Buick again. I have tried to get satisfaction through Buick and only managed to get one hub covered (was still under warranty). Court is probably my next destination. Keep trying to prop up the image of the RDV jk27 but faced with reality it is a losing battle. Good Luck
    Hi jk27: I'm trying not to be too optimistic but, through a friend in higher places, I did receive a call from a district rep Friday night. He informed me that he would start the investigation on my RDV on Monday and would stay with me until "you get your check back." Sounds pretty good to me but I'll wait till I get it. I'll keep you posted! Someone in these pages said, "Stick with it!" Guess that's true. But we really shouldn't have to fight this hard, should we?

Take care and God bless,

mnyhats

:D
    That's good news.

"But we really shouldn't have to fight this hard, should we?" I definitely had to fight hard when I filed my lemon law claim against a ... gasp ... Japanese company. Yes, I won and yes, my Buick is MUCH more reliable than that vehicle was.

Have a good week.
  • mack2099mack2099 Member Posts: 5
    We have had problems with the AC on our 2003 RDV since we bought it new (well as a demo with 5,000 mi.). The AC is fine one minute and then it will cycle warmer for no reason and in a few minutes it becomes warm inside. It may blow warmer for a while and then suddenly get cool or stay warm for days. We have asked that this be checked at least 5 times when in for service and always get the argument that they find nothing wrong that the temp. they get is 50 degrees! Now that warm weather is here again, we're starting all over again with the same problem. Anyone else experienced this??? Also, the dealer we bought from uses free tires for life as a big sales gimmic. The only catch is you have to have your vehicle serviced every 3,000 miles and tires rotated every 6,000 at the dealership. Of course the salesman said if you go over a reasonable amount its no big deal. Well of course when you ask for the new tires you find if you haven't stuck to the schedule exactly--no tires. Of course its impossible to stick to this exact schedule unless you have service done more often and before its necessary and then in the long run you end up paying more than if you bought your own tires! If you raise enough stink, the dealer will usually split the cost with you--big deal! Another thing is that now that the vehicle has a little over 35,000 miles, every time we go in for service, there's another $200-300 maintenance recommendation that you "really need to have done" or you will soon have major problems. The last two included "fuel system maintenance" at $275. The next time it was transmission maintenance at $300. At this rate, seems like we'd be better off to gamble on a major problem--would probably be cheaper. Any advice on this--I don't know enough about it to argue with them!!!!!!!!!! To top it off, the rear view mirror just fell off yesterday and the cig. lighter (just used to charge cell phone) disintegrated when charger was removed!!!!! Also, every time we hit a pothole, the check engine and low tire pressure lights come on and wont go off till we go to dealer and have them reset!! These minor problems are becoming a major headache!! Sorry this is so long--Thanks for your help.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    > against a ... gasp ... Japanese company.
    Which Japanese company was treating you badly?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

"Which Japanese company was treating you badly?"

It starts with an "I" and ends with a "u" :lemon:
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    I believe they are partly owned by GM and here in Canada some of their showrooms are integrated within GM products' showroom...
    The dealer I purchased that vehicle at sold both Hondas and Isuzus. Honda and Isuzu had an arrangement whereby Honda would rebadge Isuzu Rodeos as Honda Passports and Isuzu would rebadge the Honda Odyssey as an Isuzu Oasis. I do not recall reading anything where GM and Isuzu have any partnership, but it certainly is possible.
  • hoosierbrihoosierbri Member Posts: 1
    My wife & I purchased a used '02 CX in Feb. this year...43k when bought, we have had it in for an oil consumption problem after documenting the use of 1qt of oil per 1000 miles! The dealer with the GM rep's request replaced the rings, seats and guides to the upper head! No cylinder damage was indicated.(thank God!) This was covered under a GM 'alert' for the 3.3 motor!

Now I am experiencing and 'getting louder' road hum basically in the right front.51Kmiles... The service tech told me it could be a wheel hub! I rotated,balanced the tires,(new when purchased) and aligned the vehicle...
    Still have the hum turninig into a buzz! Could it be the wheel hubs? Any previous history of these going back at 50K miles? We are looking at $300-400 per wheel to fix this! I'm ready to sell!
    Helpful remarks would be appreciated... Hoosierbri!
    hoosierbri,
    Yes,I'm afraid some RDV's have a history of wheel bearing and hub failures.Just go back 5-6 pages on this forum to read lots more about this problem.Most go the 1st time at 40-60,000 miles but some happen earlier.I'd sure get this problem looked in to quickly as its a safety issue if they are going bad.

Good luck and I hope you have an extended warranty.
  • billrichardsbillrichards Member Posts: 1
    Boy... what great detail especially since I am having those same problems. My 2002 RDV is 5 weeks out of warranty but the dealer said they will cover it now... probably because I knew exactly what the issues where and told him that.

Thanks again.

Has anyone tried adding a towing hitch to their RDV? If so, how did it work and where did you buy it?
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    I added a tow hitch on my 2005 rdv, It is for a tule bike rack, I had it put on at a place call Kauffenburger's, I don't know if it is just local or not, they do work mostly on big trucks. I was afraid it would be ugly but it looks very nice. The brand of hitch is Curt.
  • rewe538rewe538 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 rendezvous is in the shop right now. They're telling me the communication between the BCM and the PCM is not working so it wont tell my AC to go on. The AC works (I had to have the condensor replaced last Oct!) They're still doing diagnostics on it, they're not sure what exactly is wrong. Before i have to pay anouther couple hunderd dollars - what exactly was wrong with your BCM ? maybe its similar to mine and you can help me out?

thanks!
  • rewe538rewe538 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my 02 and had to have the condensor replaced also in Oct 04. I was outside of my warranty so had to pay for it all. I'm very disappointed with this vehicle.
  • kennedy1kennedy1 Member Posts: 2
    It's funny you posted this today. I just got a call from the car dealer on my 02 Rendezvous and he said the condenser was shot. Not only is the warranty done, my extended warranty apparently doesn't cover it either. The dealership is telling me they want $925 for it. In looking online it looks like the part is about $350, so unless it's in a tough place to install, I'll probably look elsewhere to have it repaired.
    kennedy1,
    Try and make GM pay for it.Dont give in without a fight.GM knows they have a problem but will try and make you pay for it.JK27 that posts on here got them to pay for his AC condensor after it was out of warranty.Its well known that many Buick RDV AC condensors have failed.I see it mentioned all the time on the internet.Earlier this year I was at a huge Buick dealer here in the midwest and a salesman admitted to me that it was a major problem on lots of RDV's they have sold.There are something like (66) dealer service bulletins out for Buick RDV's and the AC condensor is one of them.

Check out this post from today on the regular Edmunds Buick RDV forum.

3955 of 3956 Re: my problems [buickrdv02] by buickrdv02 Jun 09, 2005 (2:58 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg

A/C was checked today and leaking from the condensor, which needs replacing. Bad news it is $1100 CDN. I told them to wait a few hours for me to decide what to do. I called back and they said it was likely covered under a warranty for 4 or 5 yrs from date of manufacture for that part because of some service bulletin. Will keep everyone posted so they too don't have to pay, if I didn't. Here's crossing my fingers, as they are going ahead with the repair based on that infromation that it won't cost me. Who knows though, the labour just might.

Good Luck!!I wonder why your extended warranty wouldnt cover the AC condensor?
  • atstpieratstpier Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tip. I have a 3 year old 45k miles Rendez that is outside of the warranty period. The AC condenser went bad and the dealer wanted $950 to fix. I gave him your theory and he acted like he had never heard of such a thing. I called Buick, and they ended up resolving the matter by having the dealership fix it and bill me a $100 deductible.

What was interesting was that the dealership would not give me the Buick customer service number. I had to find it myself. I won't return to my dealership, but I will use the Buick customer service line again.
  • kennedy1kennedy1 Member Posts: 2
    Glad to hear you had success. I also gave the same info this morning and was told that while a service bulletin is issued, it doesn't mean the dealership needs to do anything about it because it is not a safety recall. He also said the dealerships don't have the authority to make the decision to fix it with just a minimal deductible. He said he would speak to his manager to see what he can do. That was at 9am CST this morning and I still haven't heard anything, but will take it as a good sign that he didn't call right back and say there was nothing that could be done.

In the meantime, I called my husband's mechanic to see what he would charge for an OEM replacement, afterall, if the GM part went bad once at double the cost of an OEM part and it's only covered for one year, why wouldn't I look to save some money. He looked it up and told me it is a known issue and that there have been a large number of issues reported nationally. He said that the lower corner of the condenser was mounted too tight and it is eventually shifting and causing it to punch a hole or leak, requiring the condenser to be replaced.

If they won't fix it with a minimal deductible, I'll have to get the customer service number from you.
    Check out what GM of Canada is doing on 2002 RDV AC condensors.IF GM of Canada can do it then GM here in the states should be offering the same deal.If not I'd be asking why?Lots of Buick dealers arent going to volunteer any information and will try and and stick the customer with the bill.They make more money this way than on warranty work.The post below is from the regular Edmunds RDV forum.

#3958 of 3958 Re: Air Conditioner Condensor: Paid for by Buick even though out of warranty [lenfish] by buickrdv02 Jun 10, 2005 (3:28 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg

OK here's the deal I got today. If your condensor on the A/C is gone for a 2002 model and you have lees than 4 years from date of manufacture and less than 80,000km, it is 100% covered. YOU DON"T PAY!! If tthe car is over 80,000KM and less than 5 years you split the bill. Hope this helps, and if you already paid, I would go back and request a refund, as it is part of their goodwill warranty now.
    Thank Goodness I have cold air again!
  • robp63robp63 Member Posts: 1
    so where do you get the customer service #
    The GM customer service phone # is always in your owners manual.Lots of people dont seem to know this.Just find the section on Customer Assistance Information.Since our problem plagued 2002 Buick CXL RDV is gone I got this number out of our 2000 Buick Regal LS owners manual.

Only call these numbers after you have given up on your local Buick dealer doing anything for you.Just because your RDV is out of factory warranty doesnt mean Buick wont help you on parts that shouldnt be breaking on low mileage vehicles.They count on people to not push the issue.Sometimes the squeakey wheel gets the grease.

1-800-521-7300 U.S.

1-800-263-3777 Canada

They will want to know your vehicles VIN number,dealers name and location,vehicle delivery date,and mileage.

If you wish to write here is the address.

Buick Customer Relations Center
    P.O. Box 5039
    Troy,MI 48007-5039
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    I have had my new RDV 2005 in the shop for the last week, I take my loaner down pick my baby up and the gas hand is still not working so I turn around and take it back. The outside temp is all over the place from 105 when it is 60 outside to 76 when it is 90 like today, now the air doesn't seem cold? Is anyone else having this problem, I love my new Ultra and hate to add one more complaint to this web site, but I guess that is what this is for trying to figure out problems. It is such a wonderful car I hate being without it. Is there some kind of computer problem with the 2005s? Thanks
  • wagnerwagner Member Posts: 4
    I like my Rendezvous 2002, except have had 3 BCM, 1 front wheel bearing, and now the head gasket is leaking. What should I be paying for this gasket problem? Are there service bulletins out on any of these items and what does that mean to the paying customer? I only have about 50,000 on my vehicle. Ann
  • wamba138wamba138 Member Posts: 2
    I've only had my 2005 a few weeks but no problem yet. I would complain to the owner or manager of the dealership. At the same time, I would contact the regional Buick rep. If I didn't get an immediate response, I would switch dealerships.

Also, if you know a mechanic other than the dealership's, ask him. Many times they know the whole story.
  • gordonk1gordonk1 Member Posts: 1
    This forum was a big help to me last week when our mechanic told us that our 2002 Rendezvous condenser would have to be replaced. H was about to charge us over $1000 for the job and I suspect that price was high although they are usually pretty good on price, because he was not really familiar with how much time it would take. After reading the notes on the forum, I called the Buick Dealer where our car was purchased less than 4 years ago (about 32,000 miles) and asked about GM coverage. They said they didn't know anything about the problem being widespread or any extended goodwill coverage. I then called the Buick line and got pretty much the same story but after I pressed and told her that the guidelines were appearing on the internet she suggested that I bring the car to the dealer because any extended coverage would have to be based on their examination and determination that there had been no abuse of the car or other reason to think we had caused the problem. In the end the dealer called me after having the car for a day and told me that GM was offering to pay half. The price he quoted was around 560 was rather high and I said I'd already spent$120 for my mechanic to determine what the problem was. But they said this was the offer so I said "go ahead." Turned out that he must have mistakingly thought that he would get full repair price and based his estimate on that. The actual cost to me turned out to be $286. Obviously, GM does not pay the same for warranty work that we pay for work done out of warranty. I was prepared to give GM hell if the price had actually been as high as quoted.
    So, if anybody doesn't know how valuable these boards are, here is another example.
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    Hi,

I am going round and round with dealer about Affinity tires on my 04 Rendez. This car is only 3 months on the road. The tires are very aggresive, as was also noted 2 wks after I purchased it, when I complained to dealer, who just shrugged shoulders. I've read boards and many of you state you had issues with tires and GM finally gave in to you. I called GM on Monday. They promised me a return call on Tues, between 3 & 5pm. I rec'd the call from some clerk fellow in Florida, who gave me "claim number," and told me there's no record of any complaints or indication GM ever paid for tires. I spoke of these boards and the issues, & his response was "I'm not here to read what complaints are on any boards, lady!" He then told me he didn't have any response from "higher ups" and felt this was a no win situation and if I wanted tires replaced, to just do it. I dont have the money to just "do it." Can anyone offer some line that I can give to him when he calls back (if he does as promised) on Friday about this if he still feels it's a lost cause? HOw can I get to "Detroit" and not him again, in Florida, and can I go above his head and if so, any idea's on how to get around him? I did take the car to another dealership, and he told me the car is too light (body wise) for these tires and suggested Michelins, tiger paws, and Goodrich, but also said he didn't know if GM would honor my complaint. THis car doesn't hug the road properly with these tires. This other dealership was much kinder, and sympathetic, and said a softer tire would make it ride smoother and I'd have more control, as the affinity's just make it bounce and do it's own thing. At least he gave me a reason and I used that reason of the body being too light for the tires, to this clerk in Florida..You could hear the smirk. Any help, thoughts, suggestions, greatly appreciated. With so many problems on the various years of this car, I only have 1700 on it, and I'll tell you, I don't think I care to keep it just out of fear of the "unknown" and "known" issues here. Thank you for any thoughts you may have on tires.
    Gail04:

If you are serious about contacting Buick and voicing your complaints, I suggest you contact Buick corporate and explain your situation. The specific procedure is set forth in your owner's manual:

If your concern has not been resolved to your satisfaction, the following steps should be taken:

STEP ONE -- Discuss your concern with a member of dealership management. Normally, concerns can be quickly resolved at that level. If the matter has already been reviewed with the sales, service or parts manager, contact the owner of the dealership or the general manager.

STEP TWO -- If after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, contact the Buick Customer Assistance Center by calling 1-800-521-7300. In Canada, contact GM of Canada Customer Communication Centre in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777 (English) or 1-800-263-7854 (French). We encourage you to call the toll-free number in order to give your inquiry prompt attention. Please have the following information available to give the Customer Assistance Representative:

Vehicle Identification Number (This is available from the vehicle registration or title, or the plate at the top left of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield.)
     Dealership name and location
     Vehicle delivery date and present mileage

When contacting Buick, please remember that your concern will likely be resolved at a dealer’s facility. That is why we suggest you follow Step One first if you have a concern.

STEP THREE -- Both General Motors and your dealer are committed to making sure you are completely satisfied with your new vehicle. However, if you continue to remain unsatisfied after following the procedure outlined in Steps One and Two, you should file with the GM/BBB Auto Line Program to enforce any additional rights you may have. Canadian owners refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet for information on the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). The BBB Auto Line Program is an out of court program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus to settle automotive disputes regarding vehicle repairs or the interpretation of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Although you may be required to resort to this informal dispute resolution program prior to filing a court action, use of the program is free of charge and your case will generally be heard within 40 days. If you do not agree with the decision given in your case, you may reject it and proceed with any other venue for relief available to you.

You may contact the BBB using the toll-free telephone
    number or write them at the following address:

BBB Auto Line
    Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
    4200 Wilson Boulevard
    Suite 800
    Arlington, VA 22203-1804
    Telephone: 1-800-955-5100

This program is available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Eligibility is limited by vehicle, age, mileage and other factors. General Motors reserves the right to change eligibility limitations and/or discontinue its participation in this program.

Follow the above steps to the letter and document everything you do. Good luck. Please let us know what happens. I wonder whether Buick has any "duty" to replace your tires. If they are safe, and you just don't like the ride, that sounds like something you should pay for, imho.
  • exhaustedexhausted Member Posts: 21
    Well, where do I start...

I have a 02 Rdz with 160k km.

So far I have had the following issues:

-Muffler baffles collapsed twice (2 replacements)
    -Hood paint has bubbled & corroded
    -Front wheel bearings replaced (both sides)
    -a/c condenser replaced ( faulty bolt)
    -power steering rebuilt ( made squealing noise when wheel was turned left or right)
    -Head gasket replaced (leaking)
    -lift gate shocks failed
    -rear wiper motor replaced
    -torque tube replaced (drivetrain)

The latest is the exhaust manifold- $2000 repair not covered under warranty due to the fact that a bolt rusted thru. Gm's extended warranty wont cover it even though it's only gone thru 3 winters.

Gm's extended warranty was sold to autosheild here in Canada a few years ago.
    Beware--- they will only replace parts with ones they get from the wreckers or aftermarket. It's a real shame this is the first brand new vehicle I have ever purchased & have babied the vehicle with up to date service. (all @ the dealer) It seems I have to fight with them every time the vehicle has a problem. Their always blaming Autosheild, when in fact they sold me the ext. warranty & assured me I would be looked after.

I now have to go & meet with the general manager of the dealership who has graciously offered me $10k for a trade in and to absorb the manifold repair provided I buy another GM vehicle from him. I have had the vehicle since July 02 & paid $52k with taxes. What does everyone think? Should I fight some more or give up?
    All my km are highway so I figured it might last me another couple of years But with over $10k in just warranty repairs, think its time to move on. :sick:
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Hi:
    I am also from Canada and I can't wait to get rid of mine. If you can afford it, please unload it now and don't be shocked about the trade in value when you shop around. I am waiting for the end of this year to get rid of mine - year end deal. I too had the squealing steering wheel - but they told me it was normal as it ages :sick: - so mine is still squealing.
    Hi JK27,

Thanks for the information-Greatly appreciated. I rec'd the call today from GM today. The response was that they had called my dealer and that I should "work" it out with the dealer and he gave me the name of the service manager. I called to speak to him, and his suggestion was that I decrease the pressure in each tire by 2-4 lbs, which supposedly would make the car ride "substantially" different, to quote him. This is the first buick I have had, as I come from Dodge Caravans, but I'm not totally "dumb", per se. I know if we pump up the basketball to the fullest, it'll bounce hard, and if we decrease that pressure, it will bounce a little differently. That being said, that was the only suggestion he could offer. He told me the Affinity Tires are meant for the AWD vehicles, and that they are 960LBS heavier than the front wheel drive. I'm going to trust your opinion on this because you seem to know the ins and outs of the vehicle, far more than I. He did agree it's a very aggressive tire, but didn't feel he could ask GM to replace tires. However, on prior posts, many people here indicated that GM did infact replace their tires. My complaint started 2 wks after purchase when I asked service rep to take the vehicle out, for the same reason. The car doesn't hold the road well, and seems to have a mind of it's own, per se, and literally bounces. I have been "assured" by the Service Manager at dealers that there are very strong springs in the car and didn't really get far, other than an open invitation to stop in and he would decrease the air pressures for me. I suppose I should do that and document such, as you indicated and go from there. I've printed out the steps you noted and will keep them "handy."
    Your thoughts appreciated. I will follow up next week here after I return from this visit to the service dept, to keep you and others informed. Thanks! Gail
    Help! My 04 Rndz not only has the tire situation, but has a squeeling brake noise that's louder than a pig screaming! :O) I also mentioned this 3 wks into owning it to the dealer and he told me "it's normal." It's getting louder and louder. Has anyone had this problem, and should I address it when I visit the dealer next week to have him decrease the air pressure in my tires or rectify the tire issue? (see my prior post about the tires). JK27, if you're there, any thoughts on what I can do to stop the squeeling? I"m getting earaches! :cry:
  • randyfrischrandyfrisch Member Posts: 9
    Gail,

Sounds like you either got a rock stuck between the brake pad and the brake disc, or you have thrown a pad. This has happened many times before. Take it to the dealership, and they should promptly look at and fix the problem. I could have this repaired for you (even if i had to replace pads and rotor) in less than an hour.

Hope it gets fixed promptly. I will never own a GM vehicle again, after my dealings with a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue ( :lemon: ). GM, in both quality of service AND vehicles, is abysmal...