Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Gail: The squealing brakes is real common & doesn't normally affect performance - its just kind of annoying. However, I would be concerned about the thumping noise you described. That could possibly be something serious - I sure wouldn't wait two weeks to get that checked out. I can't believe he would tell you that a brake pad wasn't working right, then tell you to come back in two weeks !!!

The A/C blower switch shouldn't be a big deal to replace, but again you shouldn't have to wait two weeks.

The thing that really baffles me is the hard ride & "hard tires". I have an '03 AWD, and it is the softest riding vehicle I have ever owned (sometimes actually too soft if your on a twisty section of road). Mine came with Affinity's that I replaced at 58,000 miles. They still had tread left, but had a few cuts in them from running over junk on the road. The original tires performed very well and are reasonably priced, so I decided to replace them with another set of Affinity's. The new ones work just as well as the old ones did. Let me know if you ever figure out what's causing the hard ride - I'm curious because the Rendevous is generally known for its "soft, car-like ride".

PS: Don't give up on the Rendevous because of a handful of horror stories that you read on these boards. There were some issues on the early models (just like most new models do in their first year of production), but most of those have been greatly improved. Other than the '02's, the Rendevous is average to better than average when it comes to frequency of repairs.
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    Hi Ragtop!

Thanks for you notes on the rendezvous issues of tires, squealing brakes and gas information. You are right.. The Town/Country, Caravans, etc. did get a little better gas mileage, and yes, mine was just front wheel drive. This is my first "suv" as well as an AWD vehicle. The switch has been difficult for me to adjust to still, but it's only been 3 months. :O) I appreciat your note and JK27's notes, telling me to keep the faith in this car. Not knowing it, the "history" does concern me. Being single and disabled, naturally I think about the expenses and issues that may come to me, given all that is listed. I appreciated reading some good messages here. Have a great day and thank you for your help. I will keep you posted on just what all get done to "soften" the ride. Supposedly there is something "adjustable" on the AWD frame that will soften it...we'll see, but I also agree, having 2 wks to wait is a little unfair. However, this is an appt. with the Service Manager versus an Adviser and he does want to be there. He could've taken the car in on Friday, however he didn't feel he'd have the needed time he wants, to check things out for me. So it's now moved to just one week, on Aug. 1st. Mark your calander to check in, or watch for an update. Thanks again for your help. Gail
  • mnyhats1mnyhats1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi:

I have a 2002 RDV CX - not AWD. I love it! I was very upset when I had my problems and said I'd never buy another GM unless they helped me. They have come through! Have you checked out the wheel bearings in the rear? I had both front ones go bad and your description fits the sound I was having in the front floor area. Is it like a loud 'hum?' Dealership wanted almost $500 so I went independent for $330. When the second one went (both front) I contacted GM and found that they wouldn't even consider anything unless I went to the dealership which I did. After a lengthy battle, I finally received my refund check for $494.80. You must hang tough if you are dealing with GM. My results came from a district rep that I found through a friend who works in management at GM. Good luck and if it's a wheel bearing or any other safety issue for that matter, I would suggest you go to the NLTS page, check back in some older messages for the website, and report it. Most people with complaints end up here and don't go any further. If there are enough complaints at that site, they eventually consider recall.

Hope this helps... mnyhats :D
    Hi Jay 14:

I recently had success with GM but only through a district rep who was very kind and said they want all their customers happy! Nice thought but too bad all of the GM folks don't feel this way. At any rate, I'm not sure where you are but you may want to find out the name of your DR and call him. I found mine through a friend who works at GM in management. Too bad we have to use friendships to accomplish something that should be automatic. I love my RDV '02 and have 75,000 already and the only problem has been the wheel bearings which you can read up on in earlier messages. I haven't been 'here' for a long time because I've been waiting for my check from GM which I finally received. Good luck!

mnyhats
    :D
  • chrisrapplchrisrappl Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. The Dealer said that he had not heard of a problem with not starting after re fueling. They checked with GM Technical Assistance and decided to replace the fuel pump. The paperwork says that they replaced the fuel sensor, so ???

Two days later the car failed to start in a parking lot (no refueling). Tried for over an hour with no luck. Tow Truck operator said he saw this all the time and all we had to do was push the lock button twice and the unlock button twice (on the remote) to reset the security system. He did it and the engine started right up.

That evening we went out for dinner and the car would not start. Tried lock, lock, unlock, unlock with no luck. Two and a half hours later the car was towed to the Dealer where it is waiting for service.

I spoke to the Service Manager who had worked on our car. I shared info from this forum concerning missing BCM connector gaskets and A/C condensate finding its way into the BCM compartment. He wasn't aware of and isn't convinced that they are real problems, but, he listened and agreed to look into them as possibilities as they replace the BCM.

The problem seemed to morph from no start after refueling to no hot re-start. All four times it was very hot and the A/C was going full tilt which would cause lots of condensate.

We love the vehicle. Right now we don't trust it. I'll keep you posted.

Chris
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Chris:

I'm sorry to hear about your RDV not starting. However, before your dealer becomes too convinced that this is the BCM unit causing your problems, you should read this info, which came straight from GMTechLink:

Although people will blame the BCM for all types of problems, the fact is that BCM's on the Rendezvous do not affect engine cranking, starting or running. From the gmtechlink website (http://gmtechlink.com/index.html)

Rendezvous BCM Replacement

One of the common reasons for replacing the BCM was listed as “no crank, no start.” In nearly all situations on the Rendezvous, the BCM has no function in engine starting. In fact, if the BCM were completely removed from the vehicle, the engine would still start and run (although numerous codes would set!).

TIP: This is not true for all GM vehicles with BCMs. The vehicles share names for components like BCMs but have different functions, depending on the vehicle line. This is a good reason to review the Service Information before performing any diagnostics on a vehicle.

I also found this info on BCM's:

Motorola Body Control Modules (BCM's)

This information applies to the Motorola BCMs used in several GM vehicle lines:
    - Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo
    - Pontiac Aztek/Buick Rendezvous
    - Chevrolet Equinox

TIP: A microprocessor condition that affected early BCMs was corrected during the 2003 model year, beginning with p/n GMAN169 (Impala/Monte Carlo) and GMAN410C (Aztek/Rendezvous). Any BCM with a higher part number contains the microprocessor improvement. The Equinox, a newer vehicle, never had the earlier microprocessor.

Based on the history of these earlier control modules, technicians consider BCM replacement as the appropriate remedy for a number of customer concerns and vehicle conditions. However, with the improved microprocessor, this is not often the case. Analysis shows that almost 75% of BCMs replaced under warranty have no trouble found (NTF) ... In the following tables, you will learn which systems the BCM directly controls, the systems with which the BCM has an interaction, and the systems with which the BCM has no interaction. As you can see, these lists vary considerably between vehicle lines.

Aztek/Rendezvous BCM

Directly Controls
    - Door Locks
    - Interior/Exterior Lights
    - Power Mode Master
    - Battery Rundown Protection
    - Electrical Power Management
    - Security/Alarm (Content Theft Deterrent only)
    - RAP Relay
    - Fog Lamps (Aztek only)
    - Personalization Features
    - BTSI (MY03+)
    - Reverse Lights (MY03+)

Interaction
    - Radio - Theftlock, RAP
    - Cluster - Some Indicators
    - A/C - PPEI
    - Cooling Fan - PPEI
    - Rear Park Assist – Chime (Rendezvous only)
    - RFA – X Link
    - SDM -- Store p/n
    - MemorySeats - Personalization
    - Power Windows – RAP
    - Sunroof - RAP

No interaction
    - Wipers
    - Engine Cranking/ Starting/ Running
    - HUD head up display
    - Mirrors

Bottom line: the BCM has NOTHING to do with engine cranking, starting or running. You may need a new BCM for other reasons, but it should not affect (or improve) starting. Hope this helps.
  • 97xj97xj Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue...

For the last 2 weeks in Michigan we have had high 80’s and low 90’s and this is what our 2002 CXL AWD RDV is doing.

Wednesday (7/21) night stalls in driveway. Sits for 2 hours and starts right up

Thursday (7/22) (dies on wife while driving down road) It went to the dealership on the hook and they said that it was a clogged fuel filter. $170 for towing $95 parts and labor

Thursday night (7/22) on the way home form dealership. Dies at gas station will not restart for 30 minutes...I have 3 year, 4 year old and family dog with me.

Friday (7/23) I have it idle in driveway with AC cranked for 30 minutes dies and will not start.... after sitting for 60 minutes it is fine again.

Monday (7/25) Dealer says it is a bad fuel pump. Please give me $700.
  • nidgenidge Member Posts: 18
    I have been wondering, if anyone has found out why after 30.000 miles, the ride really gets bad. At about 28,000 miles my 2003 RDV started to ride very bad. I decided that the tires (Affinity- OEM ) were getting old and dry. Replaced them with new set Of Uniroyal Larado tires. The ride is just as bad. Even tried taking out some air but no difference. Today, I took it into the dealer and he put it up on the hoist. After looking the car over, I was told that everything is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? The whle car is beginning to rattle apart. It is becomming a $30,000.00 rattletrap. Thanks in adavance. :(
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Hi,

I'm an owner of "the dreaded '02 Rendezvous". ;-) Actually, mine has been pretty problem-free. I *did* have the BCM replaced early in my first year of ownership (I'll have owned it 4 years in October). My air conditioner condensor was replaced, as well. Amazingly (after reading page after page of posts about the problem) my wheel bearings have not yet had to be replaced. No other real problems with the car, though, and I still love it!

My question is this: when GM replaces the BCM or the air conditioner condensor, is it being replaced by a part that doesn't have whatever problem caused it to fail to begin with? For instance, since GM seems to know that something is wrong with the A/C condensor (based on the number of people who've had it replaced--the day I took mine in another person was there getting it done, and the GM advisor guy said it was a problem they were aware of), do they replace it with one that shouldn't have the same problem?

Judging by the people who've had bearings replaced multiple times, it sounds like it isn't always the case, but I'm hoping that when they know a problem exists--even if they won't admit it in public or contemplate a recall--do they start using a part that won't have the problem?

The post of the BCM info from the GM techlink seems to indicate that--at least with that issue--they started using BCMs that won't be affected by whatever the problem was.

As I said, I have been quite happy with my Rondy, but from reading all the posts here (and I realize most people don't post when they are satisfied), it really *does* seem like there are some serious issues with certain parts that GM used.

Why hasn't a law firm been approached about a class action suit? With all the people posting on this forum alone, it seems like there'd be a good chance that we'd win.
  • afmarkafmark Member Posts: 7
    I have had the same problem although refueling doesn't enter into the problem. I live in Maine and have not had this problem during the "cool" months, but as soon as the temp rose the problems started. In all cases, the car had been running for an hour or two with the air on. I would shut off the car, and when I returned 10-15 minutes later it would not start. This has happened 3 times so far and I'm sure it will occur again. I have contacted Buick but have had no luck so far. The codes are "key in ignition circuit malfunction", "loss of communication with power train control module" and "loss of Class II communication with ABS". In addition, I had to replace both front wheel bearings at 43,000 miles at a cost of almost $800. I'm not a happy camper!

My question is - what is NLTS?
    Hi,
    I too have the same problem (3 times), and it occurs when the air has been on for an extended time. This never happened during the cold months in Maine, but with summer upon us it looks to be a continuing problem.

You might search the previous messages. There is one owner who claims that disconnecting the battery from the fuse box for a few minutes and reconnecting it will solve the immediate problem. I have not tried that but now carry a wrench so I am equipped to do the job. It appears to be a pretty simple task. If it works, I plan to put a quick disconnect (knife switch) between the battery and the fuse box.

Incidently, I told the dealer about this "fix" and they said that would clear the computer.

It appears the Buick has a problem they refuse to admit to. I have called GM and am still in discussions and I doubt they will be of any help.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Nidge:
    What exactly do you mean by "riding bad"?? Is the ride too stiff, too soft, too noisy or what?? If you give specific details maybe someone can help.

FYI - they don't all ride bad, I have 61,000 miles now and it still has the same plush ride it had when new. Nice and soft, but no squeaks, rattles, etc.
  • chrisrapplchrisrappl Member Posts: 6
    We got the car back today. They replaced an E7450 sensor module and an N2320 Switch, Ignition. I believe that replacing these replaced the Passlock system. The car seems fine so far. It was 104 F in Raleigh today with a heat index of 112 F. I put about 20 miles on it and refueled it and it started right up and ran great. I hope it's fixed for good.
  • nidgenidge Member Posts: 18
    Hello,
    What I mean is this. On a nice smooh road, the ride is good. But when the road gets less then perfect, the ride becomes very harsh. The tires feel like they are greatly overinflated or that the shocks are shot. Only it can't be the shocks because there is no bouncing . Normal tire pressure is listed at 35p.s.i. I have even dropped to pressure to 31 p.s.i. and no difference. Could be the bad roads around here to. Tok it in and had things checked out at dealer and found nothing wrong. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for your reply. Be nice if there was an answer. :confuse:
  • claude3claude3 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I just spent the last few hours reading this forum and must say "Wow!" I wish that I had known all of this before I bought this car. Anyway, I bought a used 2003 Buick Rendezvous CXL with AWD back in March. It had 40,800 miles on it then and now has 45,000. Everything has been great until last week. Shortly after filling the car up with gas, it started to have ignition problems and the "service engine soon" light came on. When I would crank it, there would be a bit more cranking than usual before the car started. Also, it would sometimes stall requiring additional cranking. It idles a bit rough as well. During a trip this weekend, the car actually cut off while decelerating at a highway off-ramp a few times. My assumption has been that I got hold of a bad tank of gas and need to simply drive it all out. However, I fear, after reading these forums, that more is a foot.

I drove all but a gallon of the "bad gas" out yesterday and put in 17 gallons of premium 93 octane. At least momentarily, the car started better. However, I have noticed the same symptoms persist today (some stalling at ignition, rough idle, stalling during deceleration). In reading this thread, I have noticed that others have had a similar problem. However, before assuming the worst and running to the dealer, I am wondering a few things:

1. The manual says that low-quality gas can have this effect on a car and that I would need to use at least a tank of high quality gas before the "service engine light" went off. Does anyone have any experiences with "bad gas" in these vehicles?

2. Could this be the ignition relay switch, which was the subject of a recall for Rendezvous's and Aztecs produced between Oct. 2003 and March 2004? Here's information that I got from the NHTSA website:

ON NOVEMBER 10, 2004, THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI) OPENED A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION TO INVESTIGATE THE FAILURE, MALFUNCTION, OR OTHER UNSATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE OF THE ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM WHICH MAY RESULT IN ENGINE STALLING IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2004 BUICK RENDEZVOUS (GMT257) AND PONTIAC AZTEK (GMT257) VEHICLES ALLEGEDLY CAUSED BY IGNITION RELAY FAILURE. ODI IS AWARE OF 68 NON-DUPLICATIVE COMPLAINTS AND 1092 WARRANTY CLAIMS RELATED TO THE SUBJECT ISSUE. THERE ARE NO KNOWN CRASHES RELATED TO IGNITION RELAY FAILURE ON THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. BY LETTER DATED APRIL 19, 2005, GENERAL MOTORS CORP. (GM) HAS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WILL CONDUCT A SAFETY RECALL (NTHSA RECALL NO. 05V-157) TO REPLACE DEFECTIVE IGNITION RELAY MODULES IN APPROXIMATELY 34,996 SUBJECT VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN OCTOBER 13, 2003 AND MARCH 8, 2004. THIS PERIOD OF VEHICLE PRODUCTION IS ASSOCIATED WITH ESCALATED WARRANTY CLAIMS RATES AND COMPLAINTS THAT ALLEGE ENGINE STALL DUE TO IGNITION RELAY FAILURE. GM HAS IDENTIFIED PARTS SUPPLIERS WHO USED MATERIALS CONTAINING SILICONE IN THE MANUFACTURE OF SPECIFIC COMPONENTS FOR THE IGNITION RELAY MODULE. SILICONE CONTAMINATION CAN RESULT IN SILICA DEPOSITS FORMING ON THE CONTACTS AS THE RELAY SWITCHES AND THE HEAT GENERATED BY THE RESULTANT ARC CONVERTS THE SILICONE TO SILICA. SILICA BUILD-UP ON THE CONTACTS IS PROGRESSIVE AND MAY PRODUCE A VOLTAGE DROP ACROSS THE RELAY SUFFICIENT TO CAUSE AN INTERMITTENT NO-START OR ENGINE STALL CONDITION. WARRANTY ANALYSIS INDICATES THE INCIDENCE OF NO/HARD START VERSUS ENGINE STALL TO BE EQUAL. ANALYSIS OF TOWING CLAIMS AND DETAILED SERVICE RECORDS INDICATES THAT VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE RESTART DIFFICULTIES AFTER A STALLING INCIDENT APPROXIMATELY 20-30 PERCENT OF THE TIME. THE USE OF SILICONE MATERIALS IN THE MANUFACTURE OF THE SUBJECT IGNITION RELAY HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED. THE ACTION TAKEN BY GM IS SUFFICIENT TO RESOLVE THE ISSUES RAISED BY THIS INVESTIGATION. ACCORDINGLY, THIS INVESTIGATION IS CLOSED.

Again, I am going to try not to assume the worst, but any responses are welcome.

Thanks,
    Rex
    Hi,

Please see mine..I think numbers 3943 and then one close to that about the car riding hard. My car is 04 AWD Rendez...I bought it with 1500 on it, and have only 4K on it now...It's going to dealers on Monday, and being serviced not by an adviser, but the SERVICE MANAGER. I promised the folks here, I'd let them know all what happens between harsh ride with affinities, squealing brakes, a/c switch and whatever else. Good luck. Keep pursuing the dealer...
    Sorry, afmark! I gave the wrong initials. Check out Message #971 but here's the site: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

Apparently, if enough people complain at this site, the issue becomes a recall. Everyone here should go to this site and report their RDV problems.

Since I had the wheel bearings fixed, everything else has been fine, especially since GM finally paid me $494.80 back for the second repair. I put new brake pads on today (on the rear) and at 75,000 miles, the front was great and the back pads were showing wear but I believe this is normal wear. After reading all of these other problems, I'm feeling pretty lucky!

Good luck!

mnyhats :D
    Hi Ragtop and JK27..
    It's Me again..Gail! I promised a follow up to you so here it is. Finally, the day came when I took the car to the dealer and it was literally worked on by the Service Manager watching it for the day. Here goes-Car was there all day until 6pm.
    Brake Pads- "not brake pads"- but "rust/dirt" build up on the wheels. Does this make sense to you guys? They cleaned all the pads, pulled off all the tires to check brakes, all was fine. (Car is 04 AWD w/ 4K on it). This I am told, was the heavy thumping noise in the front. I was then told they heavily lubricated everything they could under the body that could be lubricated, and told me every time I do the oil change (did that today too), that it is recommended for these vehicles. The A/C fan shutting itself off when it's 100 degrees outside, is a Resister and the replaced that. They also let some air out of the tire to soften the horrendous ride of "hard knocks" :O) I"ve been complaining to you about, (Those affinity H/T tires), and then did something to front and rear suspension so they'd be in "sync" per se. I really can't explain this, other than to tell you to put your hands thumb to thumb, and let that be the frame (this is how it was explained to me).Now with both thumbs nail to nail, move the hands up and down ...IE: one up and one down like on a stair climber. Supposedly, the suspension on one side hits the road and bumps before the other side, because the highways are "warped" if you ...to correct that, they balanced something out (not an alignment..something that could be adjusted along the frame under the car) and oiled up a "shaft"...I hope I'm not totally confusing you all. The shaft wasn't going in and out as smoothly as it should and now those hands of yours should flap up together and down together in the above example. Thought everything was ok..was ready to go at 6pm, Serv. Manager asked me to go for a ride with him and so we did. Immediately, thump, thump, thump! He turned the car around and drove it right into shop, saying this is unacceptable. He put the car back on the lifts, and thought maybe spare tire was loose, but it wasn't. He now things it could be a rear "bushing"? He's told me to drive it w/o any fear of safety issues, and when it rains (If I can take the noise that long), if it doesn't do it when it rains, then it's the bushing because it'll be lubricated from rain water. If it does do it, then it could be the control arm or something. I'm sorry......I don't know much about this stuff, but hope you can get the gist of it and tell me if it sounds right or not. This dealer seems sincere, does care, and did soften up the ride home..I don't know about dropping the air pressure, as to whether it'll ruin tires faster or affect the handling. He's told me no to both. Any thoughts on the rear thumping?? TO me, it sounds like it's in front, but immediately, he told me it's def. in the rear. Sorry this is long, but wanted to get back to you all, and maybe there's something to help others here. Thanks much! Gail
    Thanks for the information. You might want to note this defect on the NHTS web site http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ I got the address from another member and I posted my complaint. Apparently this seems to be the only avenue to document these type problems.
    Thanks for the help mnyhats. I went to the site and logged my complaints. What bothers me is Buick has to know how many problems they have had with starting, wheel bearings and such, but of course they refuse to admit they have that kind of data available.
  • jmd2110jmd2110 Member Posts: 2
    Yes. We had to have the electric motor for the passenger side mirror replaced a few months ago. After backing up, it would get stuck in a downward position and
    acted like it was having spasms trying move back into upright position.
  • bobandgraciebobandgracie Member Posts: 1
    This summer, my 2002 Rendezvous began having re-cranking problems after driving around in the heat and humidity. Since it re-cranks some of the time but not others, no one seems to know what's wrong with it. Also, the problem doesn't seem related to re-fueling but does appear to be related to the heat index. Up until today I've been able to let the engine rest 15-20 minutes, and then it would restart. Unfortunately, this afternoon that didn't work, and I'll have to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. Is your Rendezvous still restarting and is the new E7450 sensor module & N2320 Ignition Switch (Passlock System?) continuing to solve the problem? Thanks
    Hi,

I have had the same problem. Check out message 1137. Also, you may want to post this information on the office of defects investigation web ste at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm . Also check their file on the 2002. There was a service bulletin issued on April of 2004 concerning the powertrain control module being unable to properly communicate on board diagnostic ... which is one of the error codes I have on my 2002. Also, the printout I got when I took the car into the dealer indicated a "possible pass lock" problem.

In addition, I have been talking to Buick and have gotten them to reimburse me $160 toward the repair bill estimated at $320.

One last thing - yesterday I ran some errands and let the car run. I then turned off the engine and did some shopping. When I re-started the car, the engine caught but the idle went from around 800 rpm down to about 400 rpm and then after a few seconds back to 800 rpm. The reason I mention this is that when I have had starting problems, the engine caught and I immediately shifted into reverse at which time the engine died and would not re-start for about 25 minutes. Also, that 25 minutes is "dead time" in that any attempt to start during that time will make the problem continue. Don't know if there is a connection here, but it might be worth trying.
  • jed420jed420 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, same problem here with the condenser. What do I say to the customer service in order for them to fix my condenser ?
  • jed420jed420 Member Posts: 2
    80000 km or mi?
  • leng2leng2 Member Posts: 3
    I guess I'm in good company with all the complaintants on this forum. I own a 2002 RDV, CXL with about 70K - luckily I purchased the extended warranty. My recent visit to the service station included complaints about my ac, airbag light, and intermittent problems with the steering wheel freezing and not turning. I paid a $50 deductible and had the following work completed: ac repaired, upper and lower manifold and gaskets replaced. They did not find any problems with steering wheel. However, when I left the dealership, I notice that the steering wheel was different and had too much play. I called the dealership on my way home to complain and was told there is no way that checking out the steering wheel would cause any issues. To make a story short, I am now told that I need to pay another $50 deductible - I tried speaking to the service manager, to no avail because they closed the original report. I realize the $50 is not much but the point of it is that this problem arose while my car was being serviced! I tried contacting the warranty company, but they only see black and white. I was told that I should stop paying my financing - still owe $11,000, and use that as leverage. Any advice? It's more the principle of it. Thanks -
    By the way, regarding the "airbag" problem - I was told that they cannot diagnose it b/c the light does not stay on steady!!! And that it might mean that the airbag may not deploy. I can't believe I have to drive around with this safety issue. Why have a light go on intermittently and not know what to do about it!!
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    >the steering wheel freezing and not turning

Are you serious? If it happens when the vehicle is moving, your vehicle will be instantly lose control and collide into something in a matter of a second.
    The dealership was unable to find or duplicate the freezing problem.. And their reasoning for opening up a new "case" for the current steering wheel problem (need ragjoint in steering column) was that diagnosing the original problem could not have caused the new one. Nevertheless i drove out of the dealership with the new problem, going home to pick up son my from camp - and I live 45 minutes away. I thought by calling the dealership right away - as I drove home, would help the matter, but apparently didn't.
  • gwicallgwicall Member Posts: 1
    Hi Karen: I recently purchased a 2002 Rendezvous, cxl awd 43000 miles. I really like the vehicle, and it's loaded with options. The ride is great. I do have a question regarding the awd. When I make a tight turn there is a groaning that almost sounds like the tire are rubbing the wheel wells. I just put all new tires on my car and had the front end aligned. The car handles better, but there is still the rubbing sound. I took the vehicle back to the dealership and they told me not to worry that awd vehicles sound like that. The car drives wonderful, but the rubbing sound bothers me. I have read some of the discussions about wheel bearing problems. Should I be concerned? Thanks. Gary fort myers, fl.
  • 442455442455 Member Posts: 64
    We will be moving soon and I am considering renting a U-Haul type trailer to tow behind our 2004 Rendezvous. It is FWD without the towing package. The owners manual says it can tow up to 2000 lbs without the towing package. Our move is 1250 miles, and I would be towing within the 2000 lb limits as stated in the owners manual. Any suggestions, comments, or first hand experience tales towing with your Rendezvous? Thanks, Steve
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    Did your steering wheel freeze happen while the vehicle was moving, or when it was at a stop?
  • felix9felix9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    We're having the same problem. Have you talked to Buick, if so, what did they say?
    We also have water accumulating inside the car on the on the driver side and lots on the passenger side. We are having so many other problems and we feel unsafe.

Dan
  • da_rookieeda_rookiee Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a new car and with 4 kids to drive around I was looking at getting a 7 seater Rendezvous. I was thinking of buying second hand 02 to 04. However I have been reading some of the problems and thought I should ask, over all is it a good car or should I avoid it like a plague?

thanking you in advance!

:confuse:
  • cfinchercfincher Member Posts: 2
    Hey posters,

Anyone have any experience with a Rendevouz ignition jamming up? Im confident that nothing was inserted into the key hole, as the vehicle was locked overnight. Today, key will not go in, as if a tumbler has malfunctioned. It is a 2002 model...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Clay
  • cfinchercfincher Member Posts: 2
    I strongly encourage you to keep shopping !!! My 2002 has been plagued with problems, and it was purchased brand new. NEVER AGAIN !!!

Clay
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    I had a Chrysler town and country and the ignition would freeze up every once in awhile, I would take it to be repaired and they could never find anything, finally it froze up for good and it was a terrible mess trying to drag my van out of the garage sideways, an expensive tow bill and a $300 ignition, don't wait till you have to have it dragged. You might try turning the steering column or have someone pushing on the backend while trying to insert the key. That got me going a couple of times.
  • buickwoesbuickwoes Member Posts: 1
    For the amount of money the Rendezvous costs, its a terrible buy.
    I bought a brand new one back in 2002. Since then, after the 3 year warranty period was over, I had to replace the A/C which cost me $900 and today I had to replace the ignition cylinder costing another $450. These are items that should not break within such a short period (never had any other vehicles (cheaper as well) do that to me). I contacted Buick on both occasions and the bottom line is that they really didn't give a damn. No apologies, no financial assistance, no willingness to pick up any portion of the costs...nothing!
    If you want to spend wisely, STAY AWAY from Buick - a very unAmerican organization as far as I'm concerned!!!!!
  • ckinnyckinny Member Posts: 14
    I also had a 2002 RDV and it was a nightmare. What was worse was how Buick and GM treated me when I was having problems. I was "helped" into a 2005 RDV and regret that I caved in to their tactics every time I get in to this car. It has the third row seat and the only people who can manage to get and sit back there are small children.

Go to consumer reports and research to find a decent vehicle with a company that treats customers with respect.

STAY AWAY FROM BUICK!!!!!!
  • pierrebpierreb Member Posts: 9
    From a former 2002 owner. Run away and don't look back. This is a classic example why GM and Ford are in this financial mess :lemon:
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    has been a zero defect car so far [only13K miles]. As even many of the owners of lemon Rondys will say, it's a GREAT design. It's EXTREMELY versatile and useful + easy to drive & maneuver, good on gas, quiet, etc. I have several 55+ friends who ASK to ride in the third seat; although, as the owner, I can't say I've been there. Clearly, from this forum, you can see that, when a Rondy has problems, it has PROBLEMS and Buick's record in satisfying the owners is spotty, at best. Consumers has rated the '04 models onward highly; it's the owners of the older models who have been the guinea pigs for this car.
  • ckinnyckinny Member Posts: 14
    Consumer Reports has just comeout with their list of car that are worth buying with the "employee pricing" incentives and there isn't a Buick on the list.

link title
  • mfinoch7mfinoch7 Member Posts: 3
    I puchased my RDV 2002 this past Jan. I have 45,000+ miles and the condenser just went on it. My dealer wants $710.00 to fix it. I'm at a loss, any information would be helpful. I've heard that dealers were at one point notified of this problem so I am wondering if I have any amunition to work with. I was thinking of calling GM cust. service to complain. Please help.
    I come from 20 years w/dodge caravans, and as a single person, I loved the caravans and had a great relationship with them, with no issues, and 120K and 10 yrs on each one!

I went to the Buick on it's "name" and also because as a single person in caravans for 20 years, I wanted to "downsize" a bit, but still wanted the flexibility of the caravan seating at times, etc. I bougth an 04 Rndy. If, I had known of this site prior to my doing so, I would've like they've said, "taken the money and run and not look back." For what we pay, the car is not at all worth it. I only have 4000 miles on it, and brakes squeal, car thumps in the rear end, been to dealers 3 times for this, front lights load up with moisture and a/c switch blew on a 90 degree day. Would I recommend this car to you or anyone, No, not at all. If you don't like the caravan, maybe toyota highlander may be something of interest. It does ride rough though, which is also a problem I am having with the Rndy, despite their reducing air pressure and greasing undercarriage. Do yourself a favor--look around. There are many similar type vehicles. Sadly, to trade where mine is so new, I will suffer a huge loss. I'd be back in the caravan in a heart beat, if I could work the deal as to not incur such a loss. I wish you well.
    As you can see, opinions vary widely about the Buick Rendezvous. Some people love 'em; some hate 'em. Me? I'm in the camp who loves my Rendezvous. I purchased a 2002 Rendezvous CXL new. I have had 2 major problems: leaking head gasket and AC condensor. The head gasket leak occurred during the 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and was replaced at no cost to me. The AC condensor replacement occurred AFTER my 3 year warranty had expired. Buick replaced it at no charge -- I did not even have to ask (that's great customer service in my book!). The other problems I've had with my RDV have been minor (lumbar support knob broke off, replaced for free; tailgate latch recall, no charge; twisted seat belt, no charge).

The ride is great, the creature comforts are great, the stereo is great and the mileage isn't terrible for a vehicle this large (I'm getting 19-20 mpg with mostly city driving/commuting). The cargo capacity is gigantic! We purchased the 3rd row and it works great for those occasional times when you are transporting lots of people (it's not as small as some people claim). I have had no wheel bearing problems, BCM problems, starting problems, hard ride problems, etc.

The downside? Depreciation is about the only one I can think of. This vehicle depreciated very quickly (as many American vehicles do). If you buy it new, be prepared for that. That being said, you may be able to get a good deal on a used one.

Also be aware that Consumer Reports did not make this a "recommended" vehicle until the 2004 model year. So, the 2002 and 2003 models statistically have more problems. If you buy used, I recommend getting a 2004 or 2005. However, Buick has responded to this by improving the RDV, and reducing problems, every single model year.

Would I buy another RDV? I would definitely consider it. It's a unique vehicle which carries a lot of cargo, has AWD (VersaTrack on my CXL), conventional doors and provides a safe ride for my family. It meets my needs and, so far, I have not had to pay for ANY repairs. I do recommend this vehicle. Of course, YMMV :)

Bring on the flames ... ;)
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    No Buicks on the Consumers "employee pricing" recommended list? What do they know? But, maybe that's because the prices are still too high for what you get, not that some Buicks aren't good cars if the price is low enough. Which is how I got into my Rondy. I was looking for another Regal to replace my '02; my wife tested the Rondy and we wound up keeping the old car and buying the new one, too. And, getting a $32K car for $25K with 0% financing helped a lot. Although we've had zero problems so far, I'm grateful to this forum for keeping me informed of potential trouble spots. Would I recommend the Rondy? Only as a new, heavily discounted buy, or, a very late model [post '04] used car.
  • jiminohiojiminohio Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 rdv is at the dealership today, (now). They are replacing the left front wheel bearing, I have to pay. They are replacing the odometer... for the 2nd time and I have to pay for that this time. Total cost to me today will be around 700.00.
    Can't believe all the post I read with bearing & odometer problems.
    I would like to voice my complaint if I knew who to complain to.
    Any one know ?

Jim
    verdi942 stated: "Consumer Reports has just comeout with their list of car that are worth buying with the "employee pricing" incentives and there isn't a Buick on the list."

For the lazy, there are only 6 cars on that list ... and 3 of those cars are, indeed, built by GM: the Cadillac STS, the Chevrolet Avalanche, and the Chevrolet Impala. The remaining 3 are Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler Pacifica and Dodge Caravan.

I think what is more interesting is the absence of any Ford vehicles on this list ...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Interesting how CR doesn't like and does like certain cars... Makes one wonder. Try searching all of edmunds for "consumer reports" and for "CR" to read various threads where their biases and lack of random survey methods for their "dependability reports" have been discussed.

This discussion may provide all that you need.
    imidazol97, "Can GM survive losing billions in sales and in the Stock Market??" #5154, 11 Aug 2005 11:34 am

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jbholtjbholt Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a 2002 RDV since 05/02. My ac condensor went at just about the same mileage --- I was told by the shop that replaced it that it was an engineering flaw in the original design. Be aware --- I have 75,151 miles on my RDV right now, and I just had to replace the head gaskets and the fan motor ($1331). I was extremely happy with this vehicle until about the time we passed the mileage for the warranty. Since then, BIG things seem to be going wrong, which are costing me big bucks. At this point, I couldn't be any less happy with a vehicle than I am with this one. Good luck --- and complain to GM!!!