Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How many miles on your vehicle stressman?
  • uaw239gmuaw239gm Member Posts: 17
    The last time that I experienced this problem, it was the torque converter in the transmission that either was or wasn't engaging..........seems to be one of the many problems with this vehicle. I eventually had to have the whole transmission replaced........so if you don't have the extented warranty..dump the vehicle fast.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    uaw239gm said, "dump the vehicle fast". And, don't forget ... the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

I honestly can't believe the attempts to induce panic on this site. As you can see in the other Rendezvous threads, there are lots of Rendezvous owners who aren't have the problems you've had. Bummer you had problems, but many of us love our Rendezvous -- and we're not going to "dump them."

Every single vehicle make and model has its share of problems. You seem to be forgetting that. Might you have an axe to grind with GM? Sure sounds like it.
    Geez jk27 give me a break.......have you actually read just the partial list of problems with this vehicle. I may bash it but I also try and forward the solutions that my dealer has provided. The truth is "if" you get a lemon....no matter WHAT it is, you need to cut your losses and move on. My axe as you call it is justified to a certain extent since I've been unfortunate enough to have had 3 bad GM vehicles in a row at a very huge monetary personal loss. That's why I'm here to try and find fixes, help others with fixes I've had and give information on symptoms and what to look for from my experience. I think we all are generally here to help each other. I know I am since I can't afford to take another $$ hit. I just want a safe vehicle that will last at least until it's paid for. Truce??????
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    uaw239gm,
    Sorry to hear of your problems.Dont pay any attention to old jk27.He keeps wondering over here on the RDV Problems and Solutions forum chiding owners that have had problems with their RDV's,mostly 2002 models.He needs to stay on the regular RDV forum so he can lead the cheer leading over there on how great a vehicle the RDV is.

Lots of us paid our hard earned money for a Buick 2002 RDV expecting it to be a quality vehicle.Well it wasnt so yes lots of us have an axe to grind with GM.After being a loyal GM customer for nearly 30 years I will never darken their doors again because of our junky 2002 CXL AWD RDV.During those 30 years we bought 10 new GM vehicles so they will miss us.

Anyone that wants a Buick RDV had better buy a 2004 or newer model as they seem to be doing much better..Especially stay away from the 2002 models.

Jk,heres another happy 2002 RDV owner that posted on another automotive forum.

Thumbs down The Absolute Worst
    I purchased a brand new 2002 Rendezvous in 2001 and have had nothing but problems. It has cost me literally thousands of dollars in various repairs; bearings, transmission, air conditioner, fuel pump, interior paint. Yet, I have only 62,000 miles of mostly highway driving on this vehicle.

Honestly, if there were some way I could file a class action suit against GM I certainly would not hesitate. If anyone is interested please let me know.

In the past, I would have never bought anything but an American made vehicle. But now, I never will be another American made vehicle ever again.
    They are literally built like toys. Especially GM vehicles.

I owned a 2000 Transport and you could practically pull the headlight fixtures from and reinsert them like a jigsaw puzzle. Every time it rained my headlights were full of water! Needless to say, the bulbs burned out.

I loved the Rendezvous when I first bought it. However, it did not take me very long to come to hate it with a passion.

I feel like I have been personally "violated" by General Motors and would not hesitate in the least to have them pay me for my emotional and financial anguish.

In the 2002 Buick Rendezvous, General Motors has created the ultimate piece of garbage.

Please take my advice and do NOT buy one of these vehicle
    Regalluvr:

Again, you have missed the point -- which is ... not all Rendezvous owners (2002 models included) are experiencing these problems. Of course, you've also missed the point (again) about EVERY SINGLE MAKE AND MODEL of auto having problems -- some very significant.

Telling someone to dump their Rendezvous no matter what is A LOT different than telling someone, if they got one of these "lemons", to dump it. Of course, uaw239gm, every owner must make that decision whether to keep a problem-ridden vehicle or not -- and there are times when "dumping" the vehicle makes sense. However, telling all RDV owners to up and "Dump" the vehicle isn't realistic or helpful, imho. Thankfully, I have not experienced that amount of problems or frustration. And, like I said, I'm sorry to hear you're having those problems.

And, thanks, regalluvr, I'll post in any forum I'd like. :P And what is the point of your continually posting other owner's anecdotes??? Maybe that's because, since you don't even own a Rendezvous, you can't post your own stories. Would you like me to post stories from owners who really like and have not had problems (and are keeping) their Rendezvous? Didn't think so :O

Oh, a clarification for you, regalluvr: I've certainly posted my fair share of very helpful posts in this forum. And, I don't "chide" people for having problems (I have been up front about having a couple of significant problems with MY RDV). Rather, I try to assist in any way I can (e.g., telling people how Buick paid for my AC condensor out of warranty, emailing TSB's to people, helping people with the Buick grievance process, detailed info on BCM's and what they control, real-life mileage stats, etc.). Maybe you should try posting some more helpful posts -- rather than criticizing me every post. :confuse: Remember, I'm a Buick Rendezvous owner -- you're not. What are you still doing in this forum -- besides badmouthing Buick? Hmmmm ... move on. Maybe you can try to post more helpful posts about the Rendezvous itself -- not about me.
  • socalsandysocalsandy Member Posts: 8
    I am intrigued by part of your post. You offer to help people with the Buick grievance process. Can you give me some info on that process?

Thanks!
    No problem. What frustrates me is that some people will just complain on this forum, for instance, but they don't ever follow the proper procedure to file a FORMAL grievance with Buick. This is from my 2002 RDV Owner's Manual (newer models may vary -- I don't know):

My advice? Follow each step exactly and document everything.

If your concern has not been resolved to your satisfaction, the following steps should be taken:

STEP ONE -- Discuss your concern with a member of dealership management. Normally, concerns can be quickly resolved at that level. If the matter has already been reviewed with the sales, service or parts manager, contact the owner of the dealership or the general manager.

STEP TWO -- If after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, contact the Buick Customer Assistance Center by calling 1-800-521-7300. In Canada, contact GM of Canada Customer Communication Centre in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777 (English) or 1-800-263-7854 (French). We encourage you to call the toll-free number in order to give your inquiry prompt attention. Please have the following information available to give the Customer Assistance Representative:

Vehicle Identification Number (This is available from the vehicle registration or title, or the plate at the top left of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield.)
     Dealership name and location
     Vehicle delivery date and present mileage

When contacting Buick, please remember that your concern will likely be resolved at a dealer’s facility. That is why we suggest you follow Step One first if you have a concern.

STEP THREE -- Both General Motors and your dealer are committed to making sure you are completely satisfied with your new vehicle. However, if you continue to remain unsatisfied after following the procedure outlined in Steps One and Two, you should file with the GM/BBB Auto Line Program to enforce any additional rights you may have. Canadian owners refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet for information on the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). The BBB Auto Line Program is an out of court program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus to settle automotive disputes regarding vehicle repairs or the interpretation of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Although you may be required to resort to this informal dispute resolution program prior to filing a court action, use of the program is free of charge and your case will generally be heard within 40 days. If you do not agree with the decision given in your case, you may reject it and proceed with any other venue for relief available to you.

You may contact the BBB using the toll-free telephone
    number or write them at the following address:

BBB Auto Line
    Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
    4200 Wilson Boulevard
    Suite 800
    Arlington, VA 22203-1804
    Telephone: 1-800-955-5100

This program is available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Eligibility is limited by vehicle, age, mileage and other factors. General Motors reserves the right to change eligibility limitations and/or discontinue its participation in this program.
  • socalsandysocalsandy Member Posts: 8
    Thank you! This was very helpful - and, yes, I did find it after I looked in the right place. Sorry to make you repeat it here - but maybe someone else will benefit from it as well. : )
    well lets hope. The dealer had it for 2 days, of course wanted to give it back after a day but I refused to take it. It finally screwed up on them after they turned it on and off countless times and put about a 100 miles on it. The whole wiring harness from the wire block under the car on the drivers side to up under the gas tank was corroded. This condition will cause the itermitant problem of shutting down and not starting. I hope this helps some of you. I thought that I already posted this but could not find it so sorry if I'm repeating myself. Spoke at length to Buick customer service again yesterday(the dealer is actually on my side) Buick blew me off......too bad no $$ back...saying I haven't racked up enough out of pocket expenses to be considered for compensation. Excuse me but these issues are defects (wheel bearings and corroded wiring harnesses-potentually life threating issues) so what does that have to do with anything? Well they sealed their fate as far as I'm concerned......last GM I will ever buy.
    Hi jk,
    Well,I'd almost made up my mind not to post on here anymore but then I read your reply to uaw239gm and I had to defend him.You were a little tough on him.So guess I'll be staying around every now and then.Some of my friends at work read these posts and think you work for GM but I told them you didnt.

I dont think current ownership of a RDV is required to post on here.Being the former owner of a 2002 CXL RDV should be good enough.I guess I just never have gotten over the $6,000 loss we took on our lemon 2002 RDV when we had to trade it off.$6,000 may not be much money to you but right now with my school teacher wife disabled and unable to work its a ton of money for us.High fuel and input prices coupled with low grain prices have just about ruined our farming operation.

Again anyone that is considering buying a used 2002-03 RDV had better check out its past history or they very easily could be getting someone elses problem.One Sat morning early last Spring we circled by (3) car dealers within 60 miles of us and saw the following.I guarantee you these were all problem RDV's.

Low mile 2002 CX at a Ford dealer
    Low mile 2002 CXL AWD at a Honda dealer
    Low mile 2002 CXL AWD at a Toyota dealer.

We tried to trade our 2002 CXL to the Toyota and Honda dealers and were offered next to nothing.Someone must have been pretty desperate to get rid of their RDV as the trade offers had to be very poor.

Our local Buick dealer hasnt sold a new RDV in 2 years and doesnt keep any in stock.
    regalluvr2 said, "Our local Buick dealer hasnt sold a new RDV in 2 years and doesnt keep any in stock."

That's very unfortunate for your local Buick dealer. The dealer by us is selling them like hotcakes! Seriously, I've noticed LOTS more RDV's on the road lately. Here are some statistics for you (you seem to imply that Rendezvous are NOT selling well -- which is simply not the case):

In 2002, 2003 and 2004, Buick produced 198,826 Rendezvous!! This figure does not include 2005! I'm guessing about 250,000 RDV are on the road right now -- pretty impressive for Buick's first "truck" since 1923!! GM had hoped for 30,000 to 40,000 units per year and Buick handily exceeded those numbers.

Yep, the first model year for the Rendezvous (2002) seemed to have the most problems, with problems decreasing every year since then. Can't wait to see the newly redesigned RDV!
  • afmarkafmark Member Posts: 7
    Well, it is doing it again. I had the pass lock system replaced as recommended by the Buick dealer. Been starting OK for the past couple of weeks - the warm humid weather returned to Maine and sure enough, the no start reared its ugly head once again. It happened to my wife at a gas station. She called and I told her to let it set, ignition off, for 20 minutes and try it again. Sure enough, it started. I called the Buick dealer and told him his "fix" did not work. He said to bring it in again for another plug and play part replacement. I told him I didn't have enough money for him and Buick to try and guess where the problem was while I was paying for the whole process. I think I will have better luck waiting for cooler weather when the problem seems to go away. In the meantime, I will be contacting Buick one again as well as the NTSB, not that I expect to have much success.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Our local Buick dealer hasnt sold a new RDV in 2 years and doesnt keep any in stock.

Feel free to email me at the address in my descripton (read the whole thing to find it) with the name and location of your dealer. I'd really like to talk to them. I find that hard to believe.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

check out my post about my no start and shutdown problems. this may be the cause of it. tell them to check the wiring harness under the car from the wire block to the gas tank. they have been corroding and not triggering any check lights. good luck........i'm in the same money boat as you :mad:
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    It seems that's not the only wire that can corrode - I just got the wiring of the ABS sensor replaced to fix ABS triggering at low speed. :lemon:
    imadazo197,
    If you knew the dealer it isnt hard to believe at all.We are a rural town of under 10,000 pop with not alot of good paying jobs.Owner of the full line GM franchise is in his 70's and has been a car dealer all his life.Hes quite wealthy and very hard to deal with.All deals go thru him.No salesman can make a deal.Most people cant trade there so go to other towns.Some wealthier loyal local customers keep him going.

He probably sold 4-5 new 2002 RDV's and 2-3 new 2003 RDV's.Several caused alot of problems which quickly soured the dealer on them.In Dec 2002 he had (2) new 2003 CX RDV's.We test drove one and had them figure a deal on our 1998 Regal GS..He never sold these new 2003 RDV's until after the 2004's were out.We kept waiting for him to get in a new 2004 RDV and to the best of our knowledge he never did.

A year ago he did get in a new 2005 CX RDV.To the best of my knowledge he dealer traded it.By the way we circle this dealers lot every Sunday after church. plus a friend works there so we pretty much know what goes on.Its nothing for him to have new 1-2 year old vehicles.He once had a new 2 year old 2000 Regal LS.

This dealer never liked Buick Regals and the last 2 years they were built he never had a new one on the lot.He loved Le Sabres and Centurys and has sold quite a few of them.As far as we know hes only sold 1 new Ranier since they came out.He got in 3 new 2005 La Crosses and has only sold 1.Hes had a new Terazza for a year now.If he gets in a new 2006 RDV I will let you know.

If you want a new RDV in this area you go 30 miles west or 50 miles south or north.A dealer 25 miles south and one 30 miles north rarely ever has a new RDV in stock.

There were too many problem 2002 RDV's in this area so its hurt the sale of the newer ones.We have yet to see a new Ultra RDV.We do see lots of RDV's going down a major hiway by us but most were sold in bigger towns.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I found it too hard to believe. But your reply lays it out and it is credible. I stand retracted, or something like that. Amazing situation...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• busey1busey1 Member Posts: 8
    hey if you still have this car have them check if there is a leak in the roof rack have had two 2002 rendezvous and both have had leaks in the roof rack which has caused corrosion in the wiring harness system under the left passenger side floor panel
    Have you checked to see if the roof is leaking and shorting out the wire harness
    check for a roof leak, have you had the issue resolved
    check and see if there is a leak in the roof rack that is leaking into the wiring located under the rear driver's side seat. Had this problem on two different rendezvous
    How can you tell if the roof rack is leaking? Of course I may not have this vehicle after this weekend....going to look for a toyota, nisson or subaru. I already checked the best of the best and the worst of the worst list as far as suvs and trucks.........worst list GM had 9 out of 13, best list GM had none... I know what that tells me...not to make the same mistake. By the way the passenger side window broke when I put it down to cool the car after work. Gee and the guys at work just joked today that I made a record with nothing going wrong with the vehicle in a week. Well it was almost a week.
    Thanks regalluvr2 for the support. I think that we agree on the main issue here......that this vehicle is junk. The guys at work have told me for months to get rid of the thing and I'm real close even though I can't really afford to take the loss, but if the thing is going to cost me repairs every other week (every week lately) maybe it won't really be such a loss after all. Oh yeah by the way I'm a her not a him...lol. I work with all guys at the now closed GM Assembly Plant in Baltimore decommissioning the plant prior to demonititioning. It was the oldest plant in the GM family, building Astros and Safaris for the last 30 years. I'll miss the good people I worked with but not what alot of us complained about most...the poor quality materials that they gave us to assemble. Most of the parts (especially the wiring) comes from Mexico and third world nations where workers are a dime a dozen and are replaced regularly. GM saves alot of money this way but as you can see by the price tags they don't pass that on to the customer. Before someone jumps on the "union people" are over paid, that's the reason for the cost. If you look at the trend in the number of uaw GM workers in recent years, you'll see that the work force has dropped dramatically, they've increased job loads and cut important medical benefits for thousands of workers. Of course Detroit didn't have any cuts and the big management guys still grab their huge bonuses. That's why the prices are so high.....too many chiefs not enough indians.
  • wrusprodwrusprod Member Posts: 1
    2002 Rendezvous. first noticed clicking sound in engine compartment only when the A/C is on. then on interior fan control,no air flow on settings 1,2,3,4. but i have 5,and 6. still have clicking noise on all settings with a/c on. then I had an overheat condition and noticed the cooling fans are not turning on. i checked fan fuses and switched some common relays around. no change. clicking sound isnt from the fuse box but coming from the engine. the clicking sound sounds like a relay opening/closing.help!!! :sick:
  • sharracsharrac Member Posts: 2
    MY 02 RDV IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. CALLED THE MECHANIC THIS MORNING, WILL BE ABLE TO SEE IT TOMORROW. MINE HAS A NEW BCM, FUEL PUMP AND NEW BATTERY. WHEN I TRY TO TURN OVER THE IGNITION IT WON'T TURN OVER AND ONLY THE CLOCK RESETS--NOT THE RADIO STATIONS. TRIED IT THIS MORNING AND IT STARTED UP, WITH 12:00 ON THE CLOCK--ANY IDEAS?
  • jbienaimejbienaime Member Posts: 4
    I got this message and had the oil changed. In fact, I had the motor flushed. The Oil change indicator still goes on. The mechanic tried to reset it but it still does this. Does anyone have someinsite on this?
  • cherebritecherebrite Member Posts: 2
    ...if you don't mind - I am still having difficulty with the dealership diagnosing this problem. mpg on the highway is 15...very sad. Service engine soon light has come on twice and yet they still claim nothing comes up??? They say that if the light goes off it means that it has "fixed itself" gone away?) What is with that - nobody seem to hear how terrible the gas mileage is...granted we never get what we are "supposed" to, however this isn't even close? how did they diagnose your problem?
  • otis3otis3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 RDV with 55,000 miles on it. Last week the car ran hot while sitting at a stop sign. I pulled over and switched the car off. After waiting a few minutes, I restarted the engine, and added coolant to the engine. I drove home without further problems. The next day I took it to a local mechanic, since it was out of warranty. I was thinking it was going to be a bad water pump. Wish I was so lucky! He said I've seen this before, and removed the oil cap (not the radiator cap). It was covered in a substance that looked like cocoa butter. It was oil and water mixed. He said it was the intake or head gasket. After taking the engine apart, he found that the entire engine was covered in this junk. He said the only things I could do, was to patch it and sell the vehicle, or get a new engine. I couldn’t sell it to a stranger and live with myself, so I'm now in the process of getting a new engine. I went to my local dealership and asked if there was anything he could do for me. What do you think the answer was? Have any of you had a problem similar to this? Thanks in advance!
    Otis,
    So sorry to hear of your 03 RDV's engine problem. Leaking intake and head gaskets are very-very common on 1995-2003 3400 GM V-6 engines.How GM has gotten away for so long without a recall is beyond me.As long as they leak on the outside you are OK but an internal leak will soon ruin your engine.Oil and anti-freeze dont mix well.

There are several websites devoted to this problem with many stories of ruined engines especially in Chevy Venture-Pontiac Montanas,etc.A friend works at a garage and says they are continually replacing 3400 V-6 intake gaskets.

I'm sure your dealer told you tough luck.I commend you for fixing it and not selling it to someone else.Good Luck.
  • rlymburnerrlymburner Member Posts: 2
    Hi, great forum, wish I had found it month ago!

We have a 2004 Buick Rainier AWD and have an irritating engine/transmission problem at low speeds and at idle. It feels like the transmission is settling into gear, but sometimes it's forceful enough to think we were tapped from behind on the bumper.

Took it to dealer several times but they of course couldn't find anything (despite experiencing the issue). Told us it was "typical of the drivetrain".

Any suggestions? :confuse:
    I was going to recommend posting in the Buick Rainier discussion forum -- but you already did that. Good luck!
  • rlymburnerrlymburner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks JK - this was post #1 before I found the other newsgroup :-) :P

I'll take any thoughts here thought :/
    I've got a friend that worked at a GM dealership that I called last week. He gave me a number to call to report my problem, and try to get some relief. They told me that they couldn't do anything until a GM mechanic diagnosed the problem. They sent a rollback to pick the RDV up today. One of the things my friend told me to tell them was the fact that my local dealer made the statement, "Your car must have been built on Monday. We have a lot of bad cars built on Mondays.” At the time this pissed me off more than the fact that my car was broken. Did he just say that 1/7th of all GM vehicles are bad? Can you link me to these web sites so I can have ammunition when I go to talk to them again? Thanks!
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    You need to manually reset this counter in the DIC. Scroll through the DIC and you will find one screen that reads "Oil life" or something like that. You need to hold the set button for a few seconds and it will reset and stop telling you to change your oil.
    regalluvr2,
    I got some relief! They (GM) will install a new engine in my RDV! The problem was that a bolt broke, or came loose on the intake gasket. The engine is free, but I will have to pay half the cost of installation. I was told it will be about $650. I will then have a new engine with a three year 100,000 mile warranty. Let's hope that this one will make me happy! Thanks! :P :P
  • burberryburberry Member Posts: 1
    regalluvr2
    I am experiencing the same problem with our Rendezvous. Can you provide me with the website addresses you are stating that are devoted to this problem.?

Thank you
    burberry
    Otis,
    I havent been on here in awhile.I'm sure glad to hear GM is replacing your RDV's engine and that you will only be out $650 instead of around $6,000.

I hope this is the end of your problems.Good Luck.

Burberry,
    Here is a link to one website about 3100-3400 GM V-6 intake gasket issues.You can read all day in this one.Do a Google or Ask Jeeves web search for leaking Buick-Chev-Olds-Pontiac 3100-3400 intake gaskets.You will be amazed at what a tremendous problem it is.It still amazes me that GM has gotten away without a recall.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?GMcnsmrs&1

The best site was the GM-V6-Lemons one but it says its currently down for construction.
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    Busey...did you get any answers as to how we can tell if the roof is leaking??? Brand new but 04 w/ 5000miles. See my post so it won't duplicate here. It's leaking like a river on the entire drivers side front to rear. It's not the windows, and not the moonroof. I had this in before for moonroof and dealer told me it was me! I told him to secure the roof and I would not use it again and I haven't....so it's not that! :O). I don't have racks on the car as some posts indicated roof rack leaking. Please let me know if you had a response and if anyone else can suggest something, please let me know as I'm driving car to the dealer on Tuesday or may drop it off at their garage (indoors) over wkend because I don't have a garage. I have it covered w/tarp. I don't want them pointing the fingers to me on this one...I'm so tired of it and it's hard to get back and forth because I am single and a little disabled. Thanks for your time, gail :lemon:
  • barneyeabarneyea Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2005 with auto leveling and the air pump is under the drivers feet and can be heard throughtout the car. It also seems to cycle too often.

I intend to take it in but finding the time is a problem. Just wondered if other have had a problem.

Also. notice others gas mileage. Mine is a 3.6 and I am not impressed with the performance or the mileage. In August we drove about 3,000 miles and the best fillup bumped 24, the others were 23mpg. The window sticker claims 27 and I don't think I will ever see that.
  • kirsten99averykirsten99avery Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has had this experience or know what i should do about this problem... I have a 2003 Rendezvous CXL that has a air compressor built into the rear of the car for inflating tires, air mattresses etc. and when we bought the car, it did not work. We just brought it to the garage and the couldnt find the leak so the replaced the entire line from the front to the rear. Now, it does work, however, it stays on almost all the time!! Whenever you start the car, you hear the compressor running and then it makes a "whoomp" sound every 2-3 seconds or so like the air is stuck. This will stay on for a good 25 min before it shuts off. It is very noisey, even from the outside of the car. Any thoughts? Much appreciated, Kirsten
    SOrry to here about the problem
    Mine was that the roof racks was not completely sealed thus resulting in water travelling down the interior of the door and pooling under the floor board. They ended up repairing everything eventhough it was a water leak and water leaks are not covered under the extended warranty.
  • amseidlamseidl Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 buick rendezvous started stalling out a few months ago and I
    have not been able to get it fixed. I have the 3400 V-6 and I know the rendezvous
    has had its share of problems. It will stall when I have the A/C off ( I have the
    auto A/C) and I come down a long hill or lately go up a little hill. I can make
    it stall in any gear by upping the idle to 900 rpm and letting off the gas - 1 time
    out of 10 it will just drop and quit. I can do this while going down the raod as
    well. My dealer tried a scan tool and looked everything over and basically has
    said that they don't know what it is - they think it may be the pcm. They looked
    at all the tsb's and checked the software version on the comuter and it is the
    same. They said I have to wait until it quits completely or it shows a check
    engine light (it never has). Is this true or is there something else that can be
    done ?? I have 2.5 ++ years on a lease and I am NOT going to live with a
    stalling vehicle for that long. I took it off the lot with 5 miles on it. It is a 2005
    CXL front wheel drive with basically everything. Please either post a response
    here or e-mail: amseidl@operamail.com . Please help if anyone can ......
  • ross5ross5 Member Posts: 2
    The steering on my RDV has become quite STIFF. Just had (1 week ago) the left rear axle removed and the inner/outer C/V boots replaced to to leak. Have had wheels balanced recently, but within the last month have noticed a tightening of the steering - it used to be like steering with a 'slinky'- very loose but now it is like steering with a tightly wound spring! I thought it was a power steering problem, took it into dealer (100K warrenty-thank goodness because we had to replace transmissionin Feb!) service writer drove it, said nothing wrong, no need to look at it -GOOD BY. This was thurs and ever since it is really buggin me. Any ideas? Bottom line- it does not steer/ handle / feel right.
  • black02black02 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Rendezvous. I have replaced the wheel bearings for a cost of $800.00 each time within one year. Because the ABS is not working. Now they inform me I will have to replace the wiring harness for the wheels computer. Do you know if anyone else has experienced this and will Buick pick up the cost? Is there a recall? Help, I can't afford this RDV much longer.

Black02
  • greenhkgreenhk Member Posts: 48
    I am in the "research" phase of my next vehicle purchase & am very interested in the 2006 RDV. From what I've read there seems to be many problems with the 1999-2003 RDVs. Does anyone know if these problems have been addressed/corrected for the newer (05-06) versions? Have you heard ANYTHING good/bad the 2006s?
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Did you replace the wheel bearing because of the ABS was acting up? Sometime they would wrongly diagnose that the wheel bearing need replacement as the ABS sensor is in the wheel bearing case itself. If this is the case, the harness replacement should be on them.

:lemon:
    I'm not sure if this helps but the wheel bearing assembly has the abs(speed)sensor on it.
    Replace one and you have to replace the whole thing. If they do not properly install the sensor wiring and clip it up out of the way it can become damaged and disable your abs (abs disable light on instrument panel). I suggest that you have another mechanic look at it and see if this is the case since too many dealers fail to admit their own errors. This has already happened to me.
    Number 1...the dealer told me that even if the service engine light comes on and then goes out that it will still trigger a code that remains in the computer until cleared. My check engine light for my transmission problem didn't come on until the vehicle was basicly DOA. I had complained for a long time that there was a problem but they just don't want to let you know until it's DOA or out of warrantee. Are you having any problems with hard shifts, down shifting when it shouldn't not down shifting when it should or jumping forward when you're in stop and go traffic. If there is a trans problem (including problems with the torque converter) it can cause really poor gas mileage. This problem can show up at any time regardless of mileage. If the thing is doing any or all of the above ask them to drop the trans pan and check the contents for metal shavings or burnt fluid. Good luck
    The compressor on the accessory inflator is incredibly annoying and since the dam* thing doesn't work I'd like to disable it. I looked in the owners manual for the fuse location but there are so many compressors listed and none refer to the inflator. I also don't know if this is tied into some other components. Does anyone have a clue on this? Once again....thanks for everyones help on other issues and I hope that I have been of some help.