Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• piadogpiadog Member Posts: 1
    Exactly 7 minutes after starting my car, the check engine light and AWD Disabled comes on (along with the constant dinging noise). The dealer hooked it up to his special machine and told us that it needed a new computer or sensor. The part is over $600 (probably $800 with labor, etc). However, I noticed that if I open and close my rear hatch, the check engine (AWD Disabled) does not occur.
  • yangkeeyangkee Member Posts: 3
    I have never posted before, but have read the boards for quite some time. I have an 03 Rendezvous with 38K miles and have never had problems before. This week I've started noticing that the interior, dashboard and head lights are flickering and getting worse each day. Anyone know what causes this? I'm hoping it's my battery but am afraid it's going to be something worse than that.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    NascarQueen24,
    You and your sister sound like some gutsy women and I'd sure want you both on my side.

I applaud you and your sister in getting GM to stand the intake gasket and wheel bearings.They should be doing this for everyone.Stuff like this just shouldnt be failing until well after 100,000 miles.

Its amazing that 4 people would all be in at once for RDV wheel bearings.I've always said that its a far greater problem than some on here want to admit.

My 1991 Buick Regal Limited has nearly 160,000 miles on it and has only had a power window motor,an alternator,and a fuel pump.If our 2002 RDV CXL had been this good we'd still own it.
  • dale44139dale44139 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 RDV CXL has developed a problem with the low tire warning. It has come on over 20 times without any tire having any low pressure. The warning happens on smooth and straight Interstate Highways. After being reset, enerything is fine for hours, days, or weeks. The dealer says no codes are stored and everything checks out ok.
    Buick says that there is nothing they can do until they see a failure or a code is stored.

My concern (other than the anxiety experienced when the warning suddenly appears) is that if I really do have a dangerously low tire, I will just ignore the warning and have a tire fail causing an accident.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    You're not alone as I had this problem. I thought it may be the factory battery and replaced it about 3 years into the life of the car. With the new battery, the flickering remained. It didn't happen all the time but I still caught it by the corners of my eye when it does. About a month back it finally left me stranded at night after I came to a stop and put it in park. Completely no electricty - not even the clock.

The next morning I had a mechanic come out who was familiar with GM cars. He said most likely the battery connector wasn't tightened enough. All he did was tightened the connector and all the electricity was back and I could start up my car. He said the connector (the negative terminal) tends to be not correctly tightened - even in the factory. Which means my original battery was still good. He showed me the connector head with blackened spark marks from the loose connector sparking whenever it came back in contact with the battery terminal.

So tighten your negative terminal connector and hopefully it should fix your flickering.
  • shaggyj1975shaggyj1975 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can locate at least 1 brake pad clip for the front brakes of the RDV? I changed my brakes pads and rotors and noticed I was missing one of the factory clip from the bracket that holds the pads in place. I can't find them anywhere. The dealership says they have them, but I have to buy new pads to get them :mad: . Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • rewindingrewinding Member Posts: 11
    I've had 4 bcm modules, the original which was replaced under warranty twice and the fourth which I paid for and has worked fo the last 75 thousand miles.

I think I now need to have my wheel bearings replaced and I also am slowly losing coolant.

I do have 115k on my rendezvous though.
    My vous has 115k on it. I have had 4 BCM modules with the last one lasting 75k (thank god).

I'm also slowly losing coolent and I think a wheel bearing is going bad. Also had the radio replaced under warranty and the new one has worked fine.

The leaking coolant could be a result of a low speed front end impact I had about 1 year ago which may have slightly messed up a gasket or two.

I also replaced the crap uniroyals with michelins at 45 K and they have been great as I have 70k on the tires and they are still going.

I recently replaced the driver's side power window switch. The part cost $107 US. Note to all. This switch is very easy to replace yourselves and can be done with 2 screwdrivers.

You pry up the switch console and it lifts right up. You pry off the switch module. You push on a few tabs to disconnect the electrical. (Before doing this, make sure you have waited until the electronics shut off the electricity to the switches which is usually a minute or so after you shut off the car. Test by pushing on a good switch.).

Installation is just snapping stuff back into place without tools.

In spite of all this, I still like the car as the gas mileage is not bad, the AWD has been useful, the purchase price was low, the ride has been comfortable, the visibilty is excellent and that has saved my bacon more than once due to other idiot drivers, and the car handles decently.

I wish they would build it better though.

I think the visibility is somewhat less in the ranier and the lucerne. You can probably get used to it, but I like seeing out the front of the vous.
    dollars to doughnuts, you need a new BCM module as mine did the same.

I hope you get a good one for a replacement as they can last anywhere from 3000 to 70000 miles by my experience.
  • richarda4richarda4 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time on this site. (just found it)
    My problem is on my wifes RDV, she noticed that the temp gauge would go above the half way mark and beyond in the summer and it would scare her. We have always had cars that normally don't go beyond the 1/4 mark. I took it to the dealer who checked it and said it was alright. ???
    My brother who is a mechanic said to him it wasn't alright.
    While checking this problem out he said my engine sounded like the lifters might be going bad.
    My question is this. I have read some of the problems other people have had but most of the postings have been back in 02. Is there someone or someplace to call about these problems and is it something that Buick will take care of? Our RDV is a 03
  • l84evrl84evr Member Posts: 1
    I too have just discovered this site. I am very upset about my '02 Rendezvous. The odometer showed 'error' about 10,000 miles past warranty. This was in 2004; the car was not even 3 yrs. old. When I finally got around to taking it in to the dealer, by that time the rear wiper had rusted out and quit working, so I had it disabled. To fix both would have been nearly $2,000, which I did not have. I have been driving without both since then. Since then the alternator and battery have both been replaced, and the AC quit working - was told something about a gasket that needed to be replaced and to watch the coolant. Other problems are just basically cosmetic - plastic things breaking, etc. Now the driver's side window mechanism is about to go out too. Am so aggravated that this is all happening. I loved my Rendezvous and bragged on it constantly, but now I have changed my tune. Dealer (guy who sold it to me new) has said he would help get things right, see what he could do, don't complain to GM yet, that he'd call me. That was over a year ago, and have received no call or help of any kind. Even if I do decide to get everything fixed, I will not go to that dealership!!! I'm mad!!!
  • rlj3rlj3 Member Posts: 1
    Anything to look out for. 12000 miles, rental car. From reading the forum, would an extended warranty be worth it, or would it be best to stay away from these models. Have been looking at used Volvo 70XC and they sound just as bad but $10,000 more. Thanks now for an advise.
  • aharringaharring Member Posts: 1
    I almost had a castrophe yesterday. Driving on the highway 80mph in my 2003 Buick rendezvous. Car just shut down. I had nothing. I was able to use the steering wheel to get to break down lane and pushed as hard as I could on the breaks. It's in the shop now. Have you heard of this happening to anyone else? I wonder if it's the BCM or alternator. I was able to start right back up but lights flickered the entire time. Afraid to drive it.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    A RDV owner in my area has the same problem except when it shuts down it wont restart until they tow it to the dealer.Its done this 4-5 times and they cant find the problem.Shes almost been hit twice.

Good luck finding the problem.Yours isnt the only one doing this.
  • southern19southern19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Rendezvous...I have had minor problems with it and nothing major...Its an all around good SUV and has a good crash durability for i have wrecked mine into the rear end of a Toyota Tundra and had no injuries...I wouldnt trade it for any other SUV...
  • dheng41dheng41 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!!!I just found out this website and i think it rocks!!Well anyway...i just wanted everyone's advise what could be our problem is my 2002 RDV would start at the first time and when i turn it off after stopping by at the store , battery works fine but when i try to start it,it would start for couple second and it would die and thats it......and it happens how many times that me and my baby end up got stuck wherever we went..Help!!!Anybody.... :cry:
  • joein508joein508 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 RDV Ultra, I have the same problem with the radio. Did you ever get it fixed? If so what did the dealer finally do to correct it.
  • rdz2005rdz2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 RDZ AWD and three times now (3rd time was yesterday) the car has completely shut down while on the road. It appears to happen when decelerating and coming to a stop. We brought it to the dealer after the second occurrence but they found nothing wrong. We plan to bring it back to another dealership because obviously this could be very dangerous especially on the highway!
  • michael8735michael8735 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2003 rendezvous excellent condition ,noticed after a couple weeks guage would go to hot side if the a/c is not on i believe my heat censors are bad which kick on the cooling fans ,i have to drive with a/c on in slow traffic to keep fans running also worried about lifters make a little noise when turn car on, going to get serviced soon. Otherwise i love my buick.
  • nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    That used to happen to me. Try removing the battery leads and giving them a good cleaning as well as a bit of a sanding - maybe not a great connection there. I did that and problem solved.
  • rfrenchrfrench Member Posts: 3
    Grinding, thought was power steering unit..Buick service department said it was rear differential...said they would have to remove cover and add new fluid at a cost of $37.00 per quart...total repair was $239.00..Anyone else had this kind of problem..Thanks
  • mimiannmimiann Member Posts: 3
    We have just discovered that our 2003 Rendevous has a leaky head gasket. The car has 42,000 mi and was just 36 mths old last month. As suggested to us by a former sales person from the dealership, we are going to insist that this be fixed, with little or no cost to us. We have purchased several autos from this dealership and we are considered preferred customers. My question is, has anyone dealt with this problem, with their dealership and if they have, have they gotten any satisfaction. We are really toying with the idea of trading this vehicle now and not even getting into this hassle. We are afraid if this problem is fixed, we will encounter more in the future. After reading the posts on this site, we also have had some of the other problems, including issues with the brakes. Thanks for any info.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I had posted the same problem earlier. My fix was cleaning and re-tightening the battery connections. You need to really tighten the connectors.
  • endeavourfarmendeavourfarm Member Posts: 2
    Saw your post and I have to say...I am having similar issues...when my RDV turns over, the security light comes on and my radio locks, windows lock. Automatic lights do not come one either (seat warmers do work). I have also experienced the "blinking headlight syndrome" as well. I see a number of people discussing a BCM module...perhaps that is our problem?
  • endeavourfarmendeavourfarm Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks,
    I am having similar problems with my RDV as posted here by a number of members...my radio and windows are locking when I turn the vehicle on...blinking headlights...I am growing concerned the car is just going to stop running while driving. I took it to my local dealership (initially purchased the vehicle at a dealership over an hour away) and first they replaced the batter. When I brought it back the second time, they said that they had no idea what was wrong with it? I took a chance, thinking perhaps it was the transponder in the key, and ordered a new key and had it programmed. That didn't work either. Now, I have seen a few of you talking about a BCM module. What exactly is this and how much does it cost to get replaced?
  • jstephens2jstephens2 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem, it turned out it was my polarized sun glasses. I purchased a new pair they were polarized, it reduced the brightnes by 50 %, I didn't have the problem when the glasses were off or if I had a non polarized pair on.
  • nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    First of all, that should be a warranty issue and you should not have paid for it, assuming you're still under warranty.

Secondly, read my message #1306. If you ever hear any kind of odd noise coming from there again, immediately stop driving and get it towed to the dealer.
  • ewalterewalter Member Posts: 14
    radio would not turn off and on-star failed. Radio played for hours. Removing fuse #48 and re-inserting it cured both problems. No reoccurrence so far. Eric
  • dsanchez2dsanchez2 Member Posts: 2
    can someone tell me where the speed sensor is on a 02
  • dsanchez2dsanchez2 Member Posts: 2
    please can someone tell me where the speed sensor is located on a 02 rendezvous
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm sure someone will tell you - as soon as they read your question. Some message boards tend to be a little quieter on weekends - and the switch to daylight savings time throws some people off a bit! :)

tidester, host
  • ttop72ttop72 Member Posts: 4
    Does ANYONE know WHY there is a 2" hole in both rear Wheel Wells on the Rendezvous. I can see no reason for these holes to be there. Someone on E-Bay is selling rubber plugs to fill in the holes, however there MAY be a reason they SHOULD NOT be covered. Thanks ttop72 :confuse: image
  • sgr1sgr1 Member Posts: 2
    Our 03 AWD RDV 61K started a growling noise when the car was steered left. Dealer says it is the left hub. $380 to replace plus alignment. Looking at associated problem list it looks like this is a 'semi'-common problem. has anybody heard if there is a service or recall effort?
  • samyunleesamyunlee Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure where this noise comes from but I feel the vibration and growling noise while steering to right while backing up. It happens whenever I do the parallel parking.
    Anyone has any idea what might be the problem?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I just heard of someone who was having various BCM related issues that corrected all of them by cleaning all the connectors (and fuse connections) with a electronics cleaner (liquid stuff). This is something I have tried suggesting here and there for a couple years, but this is the first time I've heard of it being done. Its just making sure connections are oxidation (corrosion) free and tight. Should be quite a bit less exspensive then BCM replacement if you can get dealer to try it or DIY if your handy (unhook battery first of course). Just a thought
  • gail414gail414 Member Posts: 2
    Hi JK & others,

I took a "break" from the problems here for a bit. Actually, please note, I had to change the name from gail04 to gail414, so you'll know it's me with the leaky lemon and all that went with it for a yr now. The leaks are finally (hopefully) all resolved, but I am getting & have been on the chase w/2 dealers for this, a horrible raw gas smell whenever I open the car doors. 2 dealers, claim "nothing" wrong. I feel it's coming from exhaust & wondered if anyone has this problem. Auto is an 04 lemon! The other thing I noticed is windchield edging is coming off on the top, but the gas issue is the biggest problem for me as I fear gas. I also have this horrible fan noise, which sounds like a boiling tea kettle on high. Drive the car w/o radio, & your ears will hurt! Dealer 1 replaced an air throttle. It didn't fix it. Dealer 2 said he can hear it (he'd have to be deaf not to) but to just "drive the car until it gets worse" because he didn't know what it was other than maybe some of the pulleys on the belts and he wasn't about to go figure out which pulley it was! Sooooooooooooooo, thank Goodness this forum is there & as always, thank you for any suggestions. I think I'm going to look at highlanders, or is there something else out there that those who have had the rendez, switched to and have had good luck with. Gail
  • chrisischrisis Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD. The ABS light and the all wheel drive disabled lights are on in the dash board.

my quention is when you fix the problem you just change the front wheel bearings or you did something else to get over the problem with the AWD and the ABS light?
  • fedup8fedup8 Member Posts: 1
    There is no recall for this but it is very common. I have replaced the bearing assemblies on both front wheels. One at 35,490 miles and the other at 45,107. It cost me $500 for the second one. In viewing different web sites I found out the original part was defective. They have since gone to a different part but those of us with the original are stuck. I am going to lobby GM to pay for my repair on the second one. The information on the web indicates if you yell loud enough and long enough they will relent and pay for it. They won't recall it because it will cost them too much to do so. I have also had electrical problems. The latest being a wiring harness that overheated and caused a fire under the dashboard. I had the car in 3 times to fix the problem prior to the fire. The internet indicates that the wiring harness is another faulty part and again there will be no recall due to the cost involved. They will wait until somebody burns us and then do something about it.
  • imalex2uimalex2u Member Posts: 6
    i own two buick rendezvous and i am having problems with both of them...i was having a problem with the fog lights which were creating a short circuit on the electrical system....i took it to the dealership and they found out that the bcm (according to them) was bad...it cost me 565.00 to fix it. my other buick has displayed the same problems and with a message that says "service vehicle soon" the left turning light stays on and the high bean indicator flashes as well...can somebody help me with it? is there a recall for the BCM?
    i do not want to take the car to the dealership. also is making a weird noise that comes from the right side of the car like from the tires which increases with speed.
  • imalex2uimalex2u Member Posts: 6
    do anybody know the entire list if items recalled for the 2002 buick rendezvous cxl?
  • gsagergsager Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I am having trouble with my cigarette lighter for my 2002 Buick Rendezvous. It won't work anymore (to charge my cell phone), and I can't find a fuse for it. Can anyone help?
  • gsagergsager Member Posts: 3
    Is there a fuse that controls the cigarette lighters? I need to get mine working again so that I can charge my cell phone! I have an 2002 Rendezvous. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • ebmanebman Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you ever get any fixes for this or figure out how to turn it off?
  • steveo33steveo33 Member Posts: 3
    You guys are great! I've found advice on the heater motor (turning the temp knob up slowly, listen for the "pop") and am now experiencing the same problems of many of you 2002 Rendezvous owners detail so well in this forum, mainly the wheel bearings, rear wiper motor, corrosion in the tailgate wiring, and the biggie -- ac condensor. With your help, we feel like we have some ammo to lighten some of this $900 load with GM. We're ready to do battle with our dealership tomorrow. Now I'm going to try to find out why my fan only works on the 4 and 5 setting. Setting 1-3 does nothing.

Thanks Again!

Steve
    Cleveland, OH
  • steveo33steveo33 Member Posts: 3
    I've notice that my fan settings are acting screwy. I have the manual climate system in a 2002 Rendezvous, and the only fan settings that do anything are 4 and 5, and of course they crank. Setting one was no better than zero, and two used to really spit the air out. Seems there was never any nice lower setting for fan speed. Now 1-3 do nothing, and 4-5 crank. Any ideas?
  • ihatecars2ihatecars2 Member Posts: 1
    I hear you! I too have had the front wheel bearings done both sides 2 weeks apart from each other @(52K miles). While I was outside my manufactures warranty I did purchase the extended warranty covering up to 100K mile to the tune of $1700.00. I will say that when I went for the test drive with the service manager he mentioned to me that if I didn't have the extended warranty they would have had Buick take care of the wheel bearing problem because Buick knows there's a problem in that area.
    I have since had the rear seal repaired due to oil leak every where I parked. And now the steering driveline seems to be the culprit from enduring steering wheel noise from the get go, now there trying to fix that? I have over 15 visits in 3 years for service on this 03 Rendezvous AWD CXL. I want out of this lemon. Even after all the repairs to the front end I still have clunking noise in the front end area mostly turning right and over bumpy terrain. And extreme pinging during exceleration. And brake noise that would clear the streets all 52K miles worth of screach. I wish you well and please advise if you have any further problems. Ihatecars2
  • joeheyjoehey Member Posts: 1
    Check the fuse panel in the cab of the vehicle. If that is ok, check the main panel relay in the engine compartment. I had this same problem and reset the relay in the main panel. good luck.
  • mimiannmimiann Member Posts: 3
    We also had a 03 Rendezvous that was doing everything that yours is doing. We anticipated that we would still have problems, after having everything fixed, so we traded our lemon for a 2006 Envoy and we are very very happy. Sometimes when you have the types of things wrong that we had and they are "fixed", you seem to still always have problems. We made the right choice. Good luck to you.
  • mclindadmclindad Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2003 Rendezvous 'used' from a reputable dealer. I love it, except after the first oil change [at the dealer] I had a horrible new noise under the driver's side front. I took it back and the mechanic just laughed and said 'it was just the compressor. Don't worry.' It has gotten much worse and won't stop unless I go over a bump hard, or make a sharp turn. Is this serious or what? :confuse:
  • helpmesellhelpmesell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Rendezvous CXL and I have just had the BCM module replaced. My car started with the blinking lights when I shut the car off; then the auto door locks would not work. Then, when I shut the car off the lights would not go off at all so one day in the parking lot at work I came outside and my battery was dead. I finally, (to drive the car until I could get it into a garage) looked at the fuse box and pulled out the fuses that worked the lights so I could still drive it during the day and not wear the battery down. Then, ALL the windows would not open, including the sunroof. My power door locks would not work and the radio quit working. My car IS NOT under warranty and this is just one problem of about 4 things that have gone wrong with the car in 1 year!! The work, so far, for this problem has run me just over $300. ALMOST everything works now, however, the dash lights up saying PARK LIGHT OUT and in checking that we found that I have no tail-lights or fog lights. My brake lights and blinkers work though. So, now I'm hearing that 'something' is screwed up in the wiring harness. If I'm lucky - the darn thing will start on fire and I'll be rid of this inferior car called Buick that I used to be proud to drive. I have had a skylark, riviera, park avenue, grand sport and loved every one of the cars. The Rendezvous is a lemon of all lemons. So, now my car goes back in the garage to find out what the problem is yet!! Any ideas, anyone??? It goes in the garage on Wednesday. Please, if you can, save me some money and tell me what to do IF you've had the same problem. They should rename the Buick by leaving out the first 2 letters and just call it "ICK". By the way, have any of you noticed where the car was assembled??? I'll give you a guess and it wasn't in the USA!!! HOLA!!!