Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• randy17randy17 Member Posts: 5
    just to let everyone know, i got the bcm at cost and had the dealer put it in and recalculate it for a total of around $279. a far cry from the $800 they had told me in april. thanx kenym for all the advice. from what ive read around the web, ill be on here with some more problems in the near future!!!!!
  • imalex2uimalex2u Member Posts: 6
    how did you get that?...i will need the same thing.
    I would like to know if a BCM from a 2005 RDV CXL would work on a 2002 CXL model.
    Thanks
  • 442455442455 Member Posts: 64
    I just went to the AC Delco parts catalog and found that the 2002 and 2005 carry different part numbers for the BCM.

However, I read on a post that if you were to order one for either the 2005 or the 2002, you would get part number 15234888. Not sure about that information, but the poster is a GM trained tech and knows what he is talking about.

Stop at a Buick dealer and see if they can give you the part numbers. There have been numerous part number changes to the BCMs since 2002, but maybe one will work in all previous models.
  • macphersonmacpherson Member Posts: 33
    Help please!!!!!! I'm begging anyone out there in auto land to please take pity on me & advise how you fixed the starting problem. Starts fine every morning & if it sits at work all day it will start fine, but,...make a few short stops, like for gas or milk etc. & the damn thing won't start for at least an hour. This morning we had to wait 2 hours before it would start. We had it into a mechanic a couple of weeks ago & he changed the spark plugs. It ran beautifully for 2 weeks & now it's started again. The entire fuel system has been tested- all OK.
    We just bought this damn thing in Jan./06 (Riverside Auto in Guelph, ON Canada---absolutely THE WORST DEALER). We bought an expensive extended warrenty but of course none of our problems are covered. We have no A/C either, again not covered. I've read hundreds of posts from readers with the same problems, but I haven't found any solutions. Has anyone out there had their Rendezvous repaired?---or do I deal it & lose my shirt??? Please help
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    If it turns over all it takes is fuel and spark to make the engine run.You arent getting one of them.I've read where several put in a new fuel pump and fuel pump relay and their problem went away.

Buick needs to stand behind the AC condensor because it was a faulty design on their part.

The last time I was to an area Buick dealer 30 miles away they were fighting one that was doing what yours was doing.Its a common problem.

We solved all of our 2002 RDV CXL's problems by trading it off in 2004.We lost our shirt but it was worth it.
    My son checked the entire fuel system- all was OK. There are thousands of us with 2002's with this problem, yet when we took it to a GM dealer- they claimed they had never heard of this problem.( I directed them to this chat room- as if they would care). It seems to have gotten worse as the weather has gotten warmer. And of course the A/C is another issue. Has anyone actually fixed the starting problem & if so PLEASE PLEASE tell us how you did it. :mad:
    First, you might want to try and get your money back on that "expensive" warranty you said you bought. From the sounds of what you are saying is not covered, you bought an aftermarket or third party warranty, rather than the GM warranty which I have ALWAYS found to be the best deal in the long run. They stand behind their warranty and are usually easy to deal with.

The starting problem could be something in the fuel or electrical system. When my wife first bought her 2004 Rendezvous new, she would sometimes experience the hard/no start when doing short trips with a lot of starting and stopping. It turned out to be a pinched wire on the transmission solenoid wiring harness under the car. A new harness was installed, and her problem never came back. She now has over 30000 miles and the car has been great.
    She bought the GM 72 month, 100000 mile warranty with 0 deductible for peace of mind. Every other GM vehcile we have owned had the same warranty, and it always paid for itself by the time we sold the car. There was usually some warranty remaining which was a great selling point when I sold the cars since it could be transfered for under $50.00 by the new owner.
    Thank you so much for the info. It would be great if it's something so simple. There are a lot of 2002 owners out there with this problem ( GM says that there is no problem)I will look into your suggestion first thing tomorrow. Thanks
    Just me again. Just spoke to a neighbour & he said he had the same starting problem on a car he owned. Turned out to be the head gasket. It had a small leak that was fouling the spark plugs. This would explain why ours ran so well after replacing the plugs. Any thoughts? Also, any ideas as to cost of such a repair? We bought a powertrain warranty- would this cover head gaskets? Thanks in advance for all your help
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    We had the engine head gasket replaced twice. 1st one was replaced at about 12K and the second one at about 40K. Cost about $1200 each time to GM and $107 once to me. We had the extended warranty with $100 deductable + tax.

You will have to check with your dealer or who ever you purchased the warranty from. Ours WAS covered. I fought the $100 with GM because this was the 2nd time in less than three years it had to be done. ( Cost me $107 :P )
    Ken
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    GM dealers and Customer Support will always tell you that they have never heard of this problem before no matter what it is.They gave us that old song and dance when we had all our BCM problems in 2004.We shut them up by telling them that many-many RDV owners on the internet had the very same problem.

If an engine is in good condition,cranks over nicely and is getting the proper amount of fuel,spark,and air at the correct time,then it has to start.Something is being overlooked on yours..Lots of the car dealers have poor mechanics these days.

The front spark plugs arent that hard to pull on a RDV.I'd pull a plug and crank it over to see how much spark it has when it refuses to start.If it has a hot spark then its not getting fuel.

Sounds like you got screwed on your extended warranty.
    If you do have an intake or exhaust manifold gasket leaking, there will be other signs of such. You would always be adding coolant, you might get white smoke out of the tail pipe, and you should be able to see coolant or a "dirty" area on your engine where it is leaking. The coolant acts like fly paper when it leaks and evaporates on the engine block, collecting dirt, dust, grease, and oil.

I would also suggest you check your battery cables. I had an Oldsmobile which would always start when cold, but after driving and it warmed up, it would not even crank over. It would just click like a dead battery. But the lights, radio, etc would work fine. The positive cable (red) was corroded inside the cover about 8 inches away from the battery terminal. When hot, it could not carry enough current to crank, but enough to run the radio and lights. After waiting for the car to cool off, it would start like nothing was wrong. An Oldsmobile dealer finally found the problem after I was stranded at a gas station out of town when I stopped to refuel.
  • hennypenny3hennypenny3 Member Posts: 5
    does anyone know if changing your own ac condensor can be done and if so how hard is it. we just changed the fuel pump, crank sensor and ignition module. If I could take the cheaper way out it would help right now.
    Just curious- did you change the fuel pump, crank sensor and ignition module because of a starting problem? That is our problem as well as the AC.
    Hello everyone, I disconnected the battery on my 2002 Buick RDV CXL to clean the contacts of the wires of the BCM, and the radio (in dash 6 CD changer) locked up.
    Could anybody help me unlock it without taking the car to the dealership? :confuse:
    Thanks,
    Changing out the condenser itself is not that difficult. However, you would need to capture any remaining refrigerant before breaching the system per federal law. Once you install the new condenser, you have to evacuate the system, add the correct oil, and recharge the system. If you are still interested in trying, send me your e mail address, and I will send the basic service manual directions from my 2004 Rendezvous.
    I am afraid you will have to go to a dealer for them to use a scan tool to unlock your radio. The newer GM radios do not use a stored pass code like earlier radios that could be reprogrammed by the owner. After cleaning the contacts on the BCM, it should have recognized the radio as being the correct one. Has the radio been replaced before, or were you having trouble with the radio or BCM before cleaning?
  • larrywiemerlarrywiemer Member Posts: 2
    2002 Buick RDV CXL AWD 60,000 miles.

I am getting a whining/grinding noise from the rear, mostly at tight turns at slow speeds.

Dealer service shop said the issue is a problem with rear differential, likely caused by putting on 2 (instead of 4) new tires.

Hoping to avoid another major repair, as I have had many of the 'common' problems noted in previous posts (ie compressor, manifold intake gasket, rear head gasket, wheel hub bearings, etc....)

What options do I have? Is it safe to drive like this until problem gets worse....?

Thanks.
    I suggest you see another Dealer for a second opinion. I have never heard of having a problem with your differential because you replaced two tires :P

~Ken
  • larrywiemerlarrywiemer Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, CarX also said there is an issue. I guess I agree something isn't quite right, and I see other posts with rear diff problems. I'm just wandering if it's a safetey concern or if its something I can live with.....until issue gets worse. Best case scenario, it doesn't get worse, but I'm assuming over time the grinding/whining will worsen. Yes? Or will I get lucky and it will just stay as is...a little noise?
  • 7seater7seater Member Posts: 2
    Just brought my 04 Rendezvous in to the dealership on Saturday as it was making similar noises. This was after having the bearings replaced during the winter.
    They were able to fix the problem. The dealership indicated they had a service bulletin outlining a fix for the rear differential. The fix instructed them to flush the system. The noise is now gone.
    Have your dealership look for the service bulletin.

Good Luck!
  • claire4claire4 Member Posts: 5
    Great website! I have had all the problems as above, (wheel bearings, new wiring, and now the rear wiper motor and a/c condensor). Dealership (Brian Finch-Ontario Canada)treats me like I am the only one with these problems. Still under warranty by third party, but they will not cover a/c condensor as technical service bulletin has been issued by Buick-dealer says all they can do is to replace condensor at cost, (540 + tax) compared to 850 + tax. Where can I get a copy of this technical service bulletin and any ideas on what to do next? Thank you very much for any help. :cry: :mad: :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have the summary TSBs in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide, but it's harder to find full text of them without paying for them (alldata.com etc.). Some dealers will give you a copy if you ask but your dealer doesn't sound too helpful. Maybe if you take some Tim Horton's in to the service writer....

Anyone got a copy they can post on their CarSpace page?

Steve, Host
    Hi Claire4- What year is your Rendezvous? Ours is an 02 that we just bought in Jan.06. I'm asking because I'm wondering if you have the starting problem that so many of us have. Thousands of us are lying according to GM. They told me not to believe things I read on the Internet. When I complained about the A/C, I was told to look at all the other cars on the road with their windows down- that it's normal. Can you believe it?? The GM dealer here in Guelph claims not to have heard of any of these problems & the dealership that we bought it from are hopeless. They didn't want anything to do with us as soon as we took it off the lot. (Riverside Auto). If anyone out there has fixed the staarting problem, I'd love to hear from you
  • allmarine0659allmarine0659 Member Posts: 1
    Ordered our 2005 Rendezvous in January of 2005 and picked it up April 16, 2005. I thought we had made the right choice boy was I wrong. We picked up the car and it had 10 miles on it drove it to our new duty station and then the problems began. At 2,992 miles the A/C stopped working and told the blowers were bad. They ordered the wrong part so I was put in a rental until they got the new part. 6 months after getting the vehicle the back seat wouldn't recline had to take it in again to get fixed. January 2006 came and the radio wouldn't give me back my cd. Took it in and was told they would order a new radio. At 11,619 miles I had to take the thing back in again (two days after the radio) and was told the flywheel was broke. The same month after the flywheel was fixed (3 days after getting the thing back) the temperature said it was 90 degrees and wouldn't give me heat. January in NC is no where near 90 degrees. Had the temperate sensor fixed it was faulty so they say. It took 3 months for the dealership to return my cd from the radio that was broken and was told the disk would cost me $400 to get a new one. Told them they were crazy and it was their radio that had the problem. April 2006 came and the vehicle wouldn't start at 15,600 miles. The windows were down and it was raining and it wouldn't even take a jump to get the windows up. Had it towed an hour away and found out it was the battery so they say. The radio stopped working two days before the vehicle wouldn't start. Who has heard changing the battery one year after getting a new vehicle. So now it is June and I hit a bump in the road and my AWD disable, turned into my driveway and that little bump turned the light off. Now when I hit bumps the AWD disables and enables back and forth. I guess NC road are to bumpy. So off to the dealership we go again. GM has given me a warranty until April 2011. They can have the vehicle and their warranty because I'm tired of something going wrong every time it is due for an oil change. Here is the kicker of it all. We paid cash for the vehicle so it is all paid off and if we get rid of the vehicle we won't get anything near what we paid for the vehicle. My specially ordered vehicle is a big fat :lemon:
    WOW!!. My sympathies on that 'lemon'- makes my problems seem small in comparison. It's so sad ,isn't it, that North American quality is so lacking? I hate to see all the Automotive jobs lost, but dammit they can't expect us to continue to buy inferior products because North Americans no longer have a work ethic & pride in their product
  • cyurickcyurick Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Rendevoux, and have had it to the dealer 6 times because the Service Enging soon light has come on. Only one time, it was anything very important. Anyone else have this problem? I understand this could go on and on, as many things can cause this light to go on. Am debating whether to trade it. I really like the Rendevoux, except for the inferior material on the seats, and, of course this problem
    Our Rendezvous is also a 2002. I have left three messages this week with the owner of the dealership (Brian Finch in London) and have gotten no answer. They act as though they are doing me a favor by offering to do it for cost. It has 97,000 km on it and the warranty I have from Autoshield is 7 years 120,000 km. Autoshield refuses to pay, even though it says it is covered in the warranty, because Buick has issued a technical services bulletin on the condensor, of which I cannot get a copy of unless I pay for it! I don't have a problem with it starting (not yet anyway). We had the wheel bearings and wire harness replaced for free when it was one year old.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I tried to find a copy of TSB but can't come up with it. Usually its a cracked condensor (2001 and 2002 early model affected) and the is a newer version and different mounting bracket involved. Your warranty must have something buried in fine print about TSB's. It sounds like Buick dealer is doing what they can for assistance ( I've heard of quotes of $1000 + to do repair). TSB's are (for the most part) info on fixing problems/new procedures/parts/etc, they are not recalls or anything like that. If warranty absolutely won't cover it, I'd make sure you remember that the next time you are 'warranty' shopping ( I'd let them know that also). Good luck
    Thanks for the info. I am going to go back to the Autoshield and keep trying. Thanks again.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm since you already have a discounted price quote from Buick dealer, perhaps your warranty company may be more willing, you never know
    Good thinking! Thanks
    Try this link for "NHTSA Office of defect Investigation".

Just enter your vehicle name model and year and it will show all defects for that model. :sick:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

Ken
  • hennypenny3hennypenny3 Member Posts: 5
    yes we are interested because we have had to fix so many things from the fuel pump to everything it seems and money is tight. I will never buy another rendevouz again. I appreciate all you can do. thanks
  • gmowner1gmowner1 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a new 2006 RDV in June. Less than 1000 miles and have had it in twice because the fuel gauge is erratic. Last time the service manager gave me a copy of service bulletin 1840058. Seems they don't have a fix and it may affect 30% of vehicles. Any others with same problem and/or solutions.
  • gracie06gracie06 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2006 RDV the end of April. I haven't taken it in for service yet, but I have noticed the fuel guage seems to change significantly in a short amount of time. I will be taking it in shortly though, and I will be sure to mention that bulletin.
  • cyurickcyurick Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005, they put a new fuel guage on, and it helped some, but, I guess we just have to get used to it. My problem is that the service engine soon light has been on 6 times. 4 of those times it was tiny things, the other 2 were fuel problems of some type.
  • gobucks1gobucks1 Member Posts: 1
    Any insight on how to replace the driver's side tail light cover? There is a hole about the size of a GOLF BALL in the plastic cover. I can remove the entire tail light assembly (including both driver and passenger lights/covers and license plate retainer) but can't figure out how to remove only the single tail light cover from the asmy. Can't believe one would have to replace the entire asmy. Any experience / clues?
    Thanks
    Tom
  • rjmtumtumrjmtumtum Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the front driver wheelbearing and now when I brake the brakes seem to grind. After a short time the anti-lock brakes shut off and traction control shuts off. Then the brakes work fine, semingly. :mad:
  • kylegigikylegigi Member Posts: 3
    I currently have the same problem with my 2002 Rondexvou. The anti-lock breaks are activating all the time when I apply breaks. It sounds like a loud grinding noise. I had a guy check the codes and got this:
    (1)C0035 LF wheelspeed sensor ckt fault
    (2)C0245 Wheel speed sensor signal fault

I replaced the right front wheel bearing assembly because the sensor is in the assembly and this did not fix it. Next Wed. I'm taking it back and the guy is going to check the wire that goes from the LF wheel to the anti-lock breaking modual to see if a wire is broken/frayed/loose. Have you heard from anyone else on this problem?

Kyle
    A couple of recent posters have posted their email addresses on the discussion. Since the posts are indexed by the major search engines, that's just asking for spam. So we've removed the posts per the Rules of the Road.

Including your email address in posts risks your security by exposing it to those who will use it maliciously. If you would like your address available to other registered members, click on 'Preferences' and mark your email address 'public'. Then ask someone one to contact you by clicking on your profile.

No guarantees there either, but at least the profiles aren't indexed by the search engines, so it slows the spammers down a bit. And it slows down complaints to our help desk. :shades:

thanks,
    Steve, Host
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    I posted a message back in April or May 2005 about the fuel gauge. I also have problems when the tank gets below a 1/4 it drops like a rock. I had a new gauge put on and still have problems, the service manager has heard me complain so much he has promised a fix as soon as they find one. He says they are working on the problem. I have always kept my tank full but on long trips it is a worry. I have a 2005 ultra.I love everything else about the car.
  • jacklin30jacklin30 Member Posts: 14
    I have the same problem with my 2006 Rendezvous. I took it to the dealer and they said they hooked it up to some diagnostic equipment and could find nothing wrong. They also said they drove the car for about 10 miles and the gauge didn't fluctuate when they drove it. They said they checked GM's database and didn't find any reports of problems with the fuel gauge. They said it might be due to the sensor getting stuck in the shallow end of the gas tank. I took it home and that afternoon it was fluctuating again. Seems like it's the worst when the tank is at half tank or below and also when going up and down hills. If you find out anything, please post it here. There are a few of us having this problem and the dealer seems clueless as to how to fix it.

Jacklin
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I've had this nuisance on my '02 RDV. I believe it's related to the shape of the gas tank. It happens on other non-RDV vehicles too. Manufacturers are squeezing the tanks into different positions and made shape modifications to make them fit. So when the tank is half or less than full, the fuel can get "caught" in places. I agree it's irritating on long trips when gas stations are far apart.
  • clm51clm51 Member Posts: 9
    When my "Service Engine Soon" light started coming on earlier in the summer on my '02 RDV, I would also lose AC, radio, CD would lock and various other issues. It was an intermittent problem and, of course, when I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. I finally drove straight to the dealership one day when it happened. Having already researched the problem, I truly felt it was the Body Control Module (BCM). (I've been told females shouldn't tell technicians what they suspect the problems are with cars!) Well, they hooked the BCM up to their trusty little diagnostic machine and, lo and behold, it was not communicating with the rest of the computers on board. They replaced it (my warranty was out by 400 miles)at no charge and I haven't had a problem since and I have put nearly 3500 miles on my vehicle since then.
    (I've been told females shouldn't tell technicians what they suspect the problems are with cars!)

They tell that to the guys too:

"Rather than going into the dealer with the TSB number in hand, it is more effective, according to Chirico, to come to the dealer with a complete description of your vehicle's particular problem - what are the exact symptoms, and when and where did/do they occur... In short, someone in the service department has to be able to duplicate the problem, and the TSB number and a brief description of the problem won't always do it. "You don't want to go in there sounding bull-headed - you won't get good service," Chirico said." link

Then when they make an idiot diagnosis you can say "did you check the BCM?" :shades:

Steve, Host
  • jacklin30jacklin30 Member Posts: 14
    I'd rather it didn't have this problem (I've never had a car that had this problem before). I don't really look at it as anything serious. As you said, it's a nuisance more than anything. I guess then there's nothing that can be done about it since it's caused by the design of the gas tank? I hate to have the service department start messing around with my car since everything else seems to be working just fine. It would be just my luck that they would get in there, mess something else up, and then I'd be in worse shape. Maybe it's best to leave well enough alone. But, then my family says "it's a new car and shouldn't be having this problem - have it fixed while it's still under warranty." It's just such a hassle that I don't even want to deal with it. Thanks for responding though. I think what you described is exactly what's happening.

Jacklin
    Hello everyone. Just wanted to give youo all an update. I posted several messages regarding our Rendezvous- especially about getting stranded with a vehicle that wouldn't start after several short trips (running errands, getting gas etc.). Well, we took it to a mechanic that our son -in-law uses. He said that he would start by changing the spar k plugs. Well lo & behold- it hasn't happened since. I can't believe it! We were ready to deal it & take our loss & never buy another GM product (Customer Service still sucks though- they told me that I must be mistaken ((in other words- I'm a lier)). Hmmm)
    Anyhow- thought I'd pass on this info. for the rest of you with the starting issue. Regards, Bob
  • nbw0305nbw0305 Member Posts: 7
    I also have a 2002 Rendevous. After 15,000 miles I started to have prblems with the ABS system. It took them 20,000 miles before they found the problem. they finally replaced the wiring harness. The car was great until it turned 60,000 miles. Now I am having the same problem and they are telling me I am crazy. I get the ABS kicking in when it shouldn't and my anti-brake lite and AWD disabled lites are coming on. I am very frustrated with GM and my Buick dealership. Today they told me that if it happens again...NOT to turn the car off, call them and drive right over. Nice guys!!!
    nbw0305