Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shelby349shelby349 Member Posts: 13
    One thing that's so consistent is that so many people on this forum have had the same defects.They are problems emblematic of the model.However,I challenge people to think of the things that HAVEN'T gone wrong with their 'vous.The electrical and basic chassis is sound.The gasket problems,hood,well...no apology,but some have received assistance from GM under 100k.I had 150 on my buggy in 4 years.Just drove it home at midnight through 80 km of Canadian Rockies,and it never crosses my mind that the car might fail.I've patted it on the dash for it's traction,and superb steering and braking ability.PS.My opinion about synthetic(I use it)is I'll run it 1.5 to twice as long.It's known to last longer,and it saves me the hassle of another oil change.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    If you will read thru all the posts on here from the very beginning you will see that the electrical system wasnt sound on the early RDV's.It was a major-major problem which caused us to dump ours..Lots of us went thru BCM after BCM,some as many as 7 of them.Also some had RDV's that would die and not restart.

The 4 major issues with the early RDV's were the following.

1 BCM-electrical
    2 Intake gaskets
    3 AC condensors
    4 Wheel bearings

The things we miss most about our 2002 CXL is the ride and the roominess.It couldnt be beat for that!
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Can anyone help me locate the PCV Valve on my '04 RDV with the 3.4l engine? Is there anything special about removing and replacing it? Thanks in advance.
  • intrepidcubintrepidcub Member Posts: 60
    Top right corner of the front valve cover

(1)Disconnect the vacuum hose from positive crankcase ventilation valve
    (2).
    Remove the positive crankcase ventilation valve.
    Thanks, intrepid. Sounds very do-able.
    Whoa!, intrepid! There's a steel collar around the base of the PCV that's riveted [!] to the valve cover casting, making it impossible to remove the valve. The PCV valve itself is set into a rubber "doughnut". I've never seen anything like it. Any ideas?
    hmmm PCV valves are usually screwed in or pushed in ill look at mine and see but those directions were right out of service manual might just push in . ill look at post tongiht
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239

Within many historical posts, I noticed a few folks had to replace their factory AC Condensor. Especially on thier 2002-2003 RDVs.

A few moments ago, I came across:

http://www.innerauto.com/Featured_Items2/rendezvous/C0255/

If the factory Condensor in my 2003 FWD RDV blows, should I replace with this one, or with the GM factory replacement part? Just wondering which product is better?

thanks...

• shelby349shelby349 Member Posts: 13
    Definitely go to your local aftermarket parts supplier,NAPA/UAP,PartSource,etc. and pick up a STEEL core A/C condensor.Probably around 250 or so.When your trusted mechanic has a look,he'll probably see an extruding bolt that had possibly rubbed through the old part.Have him take it down before he installs the new part.These aluminum condensors are prone to failure and you'll have saved yourself ALOT of bucks!
  • rolynrolyn Member Posts: 8
    We just purchased a 2003 Rendezvous and notice that whenever we are driving on a concrete or rough asphalt roadway (particularly at higher speeds) It sounds like we are on the inside of a kettle drum. Could be suspension related? Would new shocks help? The tires are new Toyos and are not causing the issue (we think). This vehicle has 60000 miles

Thanks
  • 442455442455 Member Posts: 64
    Had you driven any other Rendezvous? My wife bought her 2004 new, and during the test drive I thought the thing was very load, with a low pitch "rumble" coming from the rear area. We drove several others, and they all made the same type sound.

It didn't bother her, but every time I drive her car, I notice that "rumble" sound. She has a FWD CXL with the third seat always folded down. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Such a big open area in the rear, with road noise coming in through the side panels.
    Thanks, That may explain it.....but it does get a little annoying. My wife drives an aztek and it is much quieter.
    My wife is not bothered or annoyed by the sound. When we test drove two others, they had different brand tires than the one she ended up buying. The other two were louder than hers which have the Uniroyal "performance tires".

I read other forums, including an Aztek one, and some people there complain about the "rumble" noise also. It must be a certain pitch which irritates some, but not others. If you really feel ambitious, try swapping the tires between the two "sister" cars, and see if that makes a difference in either. I would sure try that, wouldn't take that long to do.
    Thanks...actually bought this for my son who will be leaving Iraq and the army next week. This should be an ideal car for him and his hopeful career in real estate. He should love the car. He will probably not be bothered by the noise as much as me. Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • awill475awill475 Member Posts: 6
    Hey there,

I have an 03 and it made the same noise, and got worse the longer I drove it, especially at highway speeds. Turns out there was a factory recall on the front wheel bearings and hubs. I would call your nearest dealer and ask if your car, and it should be, is covered for the recall. They replaced both left and right for me and I no longer have the super loud humming noise - and it was free! :)
    I will follow up on that. Thanks!
    I called the dealer and they couldn't find the recall. (I'm not sure how hard they tried). Is there any reference # or maybe a phone number for dealer you used?

Thanks again
    they actually just extended the warranty to 5/60 on the front wheel bearing on the 02 and 03 I believe so its not a Real recall i think its one of those things you gotta call em on they wont volunteer the information i got a letter from Buick on mine
  • meyfamilymeyfamily Member Posts: 1
    I have the intermittent brake light problem. (right rear) Works as directional but doesn't light up for brakes. Can't figure how to access the bulb to see if it is blown. Anyone know how to do that?
    Yes, that sound familiar now - I got a letter from Buick as well. I took the letter with me to the dealer because of the noise and that is why they fixed it, not really a recall. My dealer is in MN 1-800-944-5717 if you want to call them. Good luck!
    Funny that you should ask this question. My wife got home from work tonight, and told me her right turn signal indicator was blinking fast. I checked, and it was the right rear turn signal and brake light.

Open the rear hatch, and inside you will find two phillips head screws. Remove both, and the lense will slide back towards you, coming off the side of the rear quarter panel. There are two plastic "pins" attached to the quarter panel which you will see once you take the lense off. When reinstalling, line the clips inside the lense up with the "pins" and slide it forward until everything seats. Reinstall the two screws and you are done. Less than 1 minute to get the lense on or off.

The bulb is a 3057. Her bulb looked good, but I put a new one in and everything worked. I then put the old one back in, and it worked also! I checked all the connections by the socket, and everything looked good. I put the new bulb back in and buttoned everything back up. If this one quits working, I will get it to the dealer, since the extended warranty should cover anything other than the bulb.

Now my question. I thought these vehciles gave an indication on the dash or DIC when a bulb was not working. Her's never gave such a message.
    Just replaced the same light on our aztek. DIC didn't indicate the problem. Just the fast front turn signal. That seems to the the key indicator
    Figures.......just turned over the 60k mark. Oh well....Thanks again for the info.
    i got 60500 and im a nervous wreck i got an 02 that hasnt had any of the typical problems yet and im biting my nails :)
    I think you made a good decision.....I had a mechanic check mine and he found a couple of problems....keep your eye on the temp guage. Our head gasket was starting to go. We love the car and it was still worth the money we paid, even after the repairs. The intake and headgasket seems to be pretty common at around 60000. Get some piece of mine. It only cost us $80 to have a mechanic check things top to bottom. (Money well spent)
  • jablonsajablonsa Member Posts: 13
    I agree and keep an eye on the head gasket/manifold gasket. the temperature indicator does not always warn you of this problem. My engine temperature was always right but when i check under the hood i found that there was no coolant in the spare reservoir, and when i open the radiator i didnt see a drop. so i say just check the coolant reservoir.

Just remember, wash your hands before biting.

i got 03 rvd and at 124km it all fell apart 1 week after purchase. gaskets, bearings, and 1 pipe that delivers coolant, windshield cracked, hood starting to rust...
    but i still like the car, just wish it were a bit lighter, feels too much like a minivan at times i think.
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    I'm approaching 60,000 miles on mine and will have had my '02 RDV for 6 years in October. I've had a few of the issues mentioned here (BCM, A/C condensor, and a couple others), but overall, my experience has been really good. Obviously I wish the car never had any problems at all, but that's not realistic.

I love the ride, the spaciousness, the features (I have the CXL), and mine looks almost as good as it did the day I bought it.

Just figured I'd chime in. I've posted here about problems before, but overall, I'm still really happy with my Rondy.
  • gblanchettegblanchette Member Posts: 8
    I bought my '03 Rendezvous as a totaled car for $5000. After about $4500 in parts and body work I had a nice looking ride for a college student. After two years the only problem that I have had is my alternator.

As far as you say that yours feels heavy, similar to a minivan there is a reason. Even though the body of the Rendezvous is shorter it is still between 300 and 600 pounds heavier depending on accessories. I believe this is due in part to the four wheel independent suspension and the rear air ride assist. I feel my Rendezvous handles much better than all late model minivans. Although my brother purchased an '02 all wheel drive and his is considerably heavier.
    I guess this post has some rambling in it but maybe some justification for your observation.
  • jacklin30jacklin30 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2006 Rendezvous and yesterday I noticed a loud engine noise. I never noticed it before and my passenger, who rides in my car almost everyday at lunch, noticed it too. I can feel the vibration in the floor and in the steering wheel when I accelerate to about 30 or more. It is still under warranty so I'm going to take it in, but I'd like to have some idea of what that might be before I take it. Also, I've noticed when I put the car in reverse and back up I hear a popping noise in the back sometimes. Sounds like the rear right side. I am going to have them check that as well. Since I'm female, they generally figure they can get away with just telling me it's normal and I'll never know the difference. But, this car never made that loud engine noise before and I don't intend to live with it. It also has that intermitent starting problem. Over the weekend when I stopped for gas I had to try to start it three times before it finally turned over. Something is wrong! I love my car, but these things are not okay with me. There's also a rattle in the glove compartment that has been there since EZ Lube took the passenger air filter out and put it back in backwards. I put it in the correct way, but the rattle continues. That's not serious, but a loud engine noise all of a sudden? I'm concerned. It is still under warranty though, so that's a good thing.
    is it AWD ?
    No. 2WD.
  • sshaffersshaffer Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm new to this site. I posted a problem with my 02 RDV on another page being directed there after searching for "no heat, overheating". Now finding the right page, I need to share with other RDV owners.

I have a love hate relationship with my 02 with only 65,000 miles on it.I purchased this beauty with only 32000 miles hoping for a quality vehicle. As with other owners I have replaced both front bearings and some sensor for fuel usage. Tires replaced. I love(d) my car.

In Jan of 07 I hit a deer broadside into the front grill. The entire exterior of the front end was replaced as well as the radiator. I drove my car for 5 days after the accident without incident. When I got my car back from the body shop my heater did not work when idling/at below 2000 rpms. I returned to the body shop. They said that they replaced the thermostat(1) and that it should be fine. I drove for 3 days with good heat before it happened again. I took it back to the body shop who told me that it was likely my water pump and not related to the accident. So, I took it to my mechanic who did not believe this and replaced the thermostat(2) that ran hotter. I ran fine for about4-5 days. First I slowly lost the heat at low speeds then over heated again. My mechanic then replaced the water pump. Heat was fine for about 1 week. I over heated again, lost heat. Thermostat replaced for the 3rd time, he flushed the heater core and the engine(I'm not sure what that means)and tested the head gasket pressure. Nothing. I had good heat for 3 weeks. Now heat is gone again,am starting to overheat again. Sheesh...Neither me or my husband are mechanics. We have agood mechanic who is baffled by this.I think he is leaning toward the heater core next. I'm not feeling good about this either. :sick: I just want to get back on the road.
    Since your Rendezvous is overheating I would say to check your coolant/antifreeze. I had the same problem with my 03 Rendezvous with it not heating when I would drop below 25-35 mph. The fix was simply to fill the reservoir with coolant. It doesn't have to be very low for you to loose heating while idle.

Let me know if that fixes the problem.
    Since this is only happening after the accident, I would look at those items which were replaced. You said the radiator was replaced. Was it a new one, or a rebuilt one?
    Sounds like something might be plugging up the flow at certain times, causing the overheating and not allowing the hot coolant to circulate for the heater.

You might also want to check all the radiator hoses, make sure none of them are getting pinched, shutting off the flow of coolant. I would also check them for "soft" spots which would allow the hose to collapse and block the coolant. Any of these could come and go, not happening all the time.

Doubt that it is your heater core if you are not loosing fluid or smelling coolant inside the car, or have a wet spot on the carpet by the passenger foot area.

You could also have an air bubble in the cooling system, which would cause the same things. The system would need to be "burped" to get the excess air out.

I think it is something with the new radiator being installed after the accident, or a part of the cooling system as mentioned. I would also check the belt to make sure it is not worn or damaged, allowing slippage.
    Also you might want to check under your car for any leaks. since you just fixed the front end you might have a leak in your radiator or hose.
    I love this site! You guys are great!! Thanks for the help. Something tells me I will be back on a regular basis since I plan to keep the car. I printed off the recommendations and took it to my mechanic. No response. Before I returned to him on Fri I topped off my coolant. The reservoir took just under 1 gallon and the radiator took 1-2 cups. After doing this the heat and the thermostat worked fine,even when idling. Husband thinks this is odd. On previous episodes my husband and my mechanic said that the coolant levels were fine. I'm now wondering what they determined "fine" to be. So, gblanchette you were right but the ground is clean. No drips, the oil is clean and there is no excessive smoke out the exhaust but minor water condensation that does not feel slippery or tacky. So, I'm slowly losing coolant somehow,somewhere. Sat I finally broke down and took it to the dealership. I just want it fixed. It will be looked at Mon, by the "expert".
    442455, The body shop guaranteed that all replacement parts were genuine ,new GM parts. They did a beautiful job. I do agree with your assessment, however. I checked all of the hoses and belts to the best of my ability. It felt rather empowering. I'm certain it's not the heater core,as you said if there are no wet spots its not the core. Mechanic said that it was burped.
    Thank you, thank you gblanchette and 442455. I'll let you know when the "expert" checks it out.
    Perhaps you were "lucky" and between the radiator being replaced, then the thermostat, then the waterpump, the system was just low. Plenty of chances for that to have happened with the work that was done and the time frame it all happened in.

Keep a close eye on that coolant level and make sure it doesn't go down. Good luck, and please do keep us informed.
  • karenscarkarenscar Member Posts: 2
    Hi sshafer,
    Thanks for the redirect to this thread. I appreciate your keeping me/us posted on what happens, maybe we can help each other get to the cause. I am no mechanic but after doing more searching (google, etc.) I am pretty sure that in my case I have a leak that is pulling air into the cooling system. I don't seem to be losing coolant anywhere. In my search I found somewhat similar symptoms and consequent suggestions that it may be a cracked head or block or the new head gasket is ill fitting and leaking because the head was not made flat and true enough before the gasket was applied. Since I have had everything else replaced it seems more likely (to me, anyway) that that is the problem. I'm not sure if I can post a link to a competitor site on this page but I found a useful thread at cartalk dot com/ and then this tail board/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=383462&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1
    I take the car back in tomorrow and like you, I'm going to print out some stuff and give it to my mechanic.
  • pourterpourter Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 CX that seems to be leaking a fair amount of oil on the passenger side, right up front. Has anyone had this problem as well, or might know what it is that is leaking?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm not sure if I can post a link to a competitor site ...

It's not a problem if it adds to the discussion here but we do frown on flat out promotion of other sites.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • theresa5theresa5 Member Posts: 2
    Ditto here. Sounds like the wind is blowing right through the car door. Takes forever to heat up in the winter, too (this could be why). I've also had quite a few other problems with this car and had it in the shop ALL THE TIME. Finally filed a complaint with the BBB (for autos), GM extended my warranty an extra 50,000 miles. Still a hassle to take into the shop, though (I have to go again this Friday).
    Well, once again I have been diagnosed. According to the dealership my heater problem is a headgasket/intake. Mechanic explains that this is why my O2 sensor needed replaced and would likely need replaced if gone undiagnosed. This also explains a very minor problem of the temp reading in the dash reading "ice" on a cold dry day. Maybe? Any how.... I've been reading much about the O2 sensors on the RDV's and repeated replacements. Beware!The leak was small,not detectable by me ,my husband or my mechanic whom my husband trusts completely. Dealership said that they found the leak. Good! I just want to get back on the road. This should set me back about 1300.00. I will also have them flush the radiator of that goopy Dex-cool and will use straight anti-freeze. I should be back on the road Tue. pm.
    Thanks again for your time and expertise. I'll keep you posted.
    Sorry to hear it is the gasket issue. I know you have an 02 model with 65000 miles, but you might ask at the dealership if they can do any type of "Goodwill" warranty work for the gasket. You might also check with Buick. It is a known defect with that year model, some have received discounted repairs.

As for the o2 sensor causing the "ice" to show in the dash readout, I don't understand that at all. The sensor "reads" the exhaust gas to give a reading to the computer for drivability. Has nothing that I am aware of for the temp display.

There is another sensor mounted in the front of the vehicle which sends the air temp to the display. If you had front end repairs from the deer accident, this sensor could have been damaged, or not re-connected during the repairs.

I have the service C/D installed on a computer other than the one I am using now, but I believe "ice" is an indication of a malfuction in the sensor (when it isn't actually cold enough outside for "ice" to show}
    Sorry to hear it is the gasket issue. I know you have an 02 model with 65000 miles, but you might ask at the dealership if they can do any type of "Goodwill" warranty work for the gasket. You might also check with Buick. It is a known defect with that year model, some have received discounted repairs.

As for the o2 sensor causing the "ice" to show in the dash readout, I don't understand that at all. The sensor "reads" the exhaust gas to give a reading to the computer for drivability. Has nothing that I am aware of for the temp display.

There is another sensor mounted in the front of the vehicle which sends the air temp to the display. If you had front end repairs from the deer accident, this sensor could have been damaged, or not re-connected during the repairs.

I have the service C/D installed on a computer other than the one I am using now, but I believe "ice" is an indication of a malfuction in the sensor (when it isn't actually cold enough outside for "ice" to show}
    I have a wind noise problem as well. Mine however comes from the giant driver's side mirror and I don't get the same noise on the passenger side. There are times when it is super windy outside and if I am on the highway you can't carry on a conversation in the car without shouting! Anyone else have this problem? Any fix do you think?!? :)
    For all those who gave me advice on the broken power window I had. I was able to order the part I needed on line and replaced it myself - the window now goes up and down again!! It was so easy and it only cost me $125.00 for the part compared to $450.00 the dealer wanted to charge me and all the old folks in my apartment building could not believe a girl could do it, ha! Now I can go to Vegas :blush: !!! Thanks to all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Terrific! Maybe you can write up a Guide and post it?
    My driver side door is also creating an annoying amount of noise, especially when im on the highway. I looked at the weather stripping and it looks like its double stripped. the outside strip is leaking air and creating all the noise. the 2nd strip is holding for the most part. im getting fed up with it. im simply going to resort to a quick and cheap fix. going to pickup some foam door weather stripping and going to try thickening the GM rubber stripping all the way around. if i put it on the door im sure it wont bee too visible. if i ever get my [non-permissible content removed] up to do this ill let this forum know if it worked or if it turned into a disaster story. :sick:
    Took my car to the dealer and it appears the right front hub went out and that is what was causing the noise I thought was engine noise. It was covered under warranty. I also had a horrible rattle in the dash that was driving me crazy. They found a screw was missing on the instrument panel, replaced that and now the dash is quiet again. I also have a popping noise that I hear under the car when I put it into gear and start to drive off, or back up as the case may be. If I ease into it, I don't hear the pop. If I put her in gear and go, it pops. The dealership said they couldn't duplicate the noise. But, I was able to duplicate it across the street in a parking lot three times out of four right after I picked it up! And, they heard it during a drive along and it also did it in the driveway at the dealership when they were filling out the paperwork when I dropped the car off. I think they were just running out of time and wanted me to bring it back. They asked me to bring it back and they would provide me with a loaner car. Great, an hour there and back on a work day. So, I have to take it back in a week or two. The starting problem has never been fixed. Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes I have to try two or three times before it will turn over. I have taken it to two dealerships and both say they can find nothing wrong with it. One couldn't fix the dash rattle while the other one did. So, who knows.

I still love my car, but I'm concerned that these problems are going to continue. I've owned Hondas and Nissans in the past and had no problems with either of them whatsoever until they got older and things started wearing out. Having things like this happening on a car that's just a year old really concerns me. Time will tell I guess. I hope I didn't make a mistake buying a Buick. There are plenty of people standing in line to tell me "I told you so."
    Ok im quite sure i know what that popping noise your hearing is. I just got my 03 rvd 2 months ago and was wondering the same thing. after a while i noticed that the popping noise does not happen when i park on level ground. so i figure its the transmission popping when the car rolls back a bit while on a hill. to fix the problem i simply started using the hand break every single time i park now. i had 3500$ worth of repairs in the 2nd week of owning the car. the last thing im waiting to break on me is the transmission as everything else already gave out on me. oh ya. if your wondering how to engage the hand break. you simply have to press down the peddle on the left that says, press to disengage hand break or something like that. i press it all the way untill it dont go anymore. before driving off i press it lightly and its comes back up. ok hope that helps. cheers, perfect its 4:30 time to go home.