Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• manny5manny5 Member Posts: 16
    We purchased 2002 CX FWD in Dec. 2001. So far, here is the list of things we have done, and it cost us a ton of money to own and operate this car.

1. Computer module
    2. Blown head gasket
    3. Air Conditioner
    4. Driver side power window
    5. Thermostat (It is expensive in this vehicle to replace)
    6. Driver seat motor
    7. Air Conditioner again
    8. Engine mounts
    9. Gas tank leak

We stopped going to the dealers because we could not afford their charges. We are still running this car because we can not afford a new one. It is costing us almost as much as we pay for a new car. This will be the last GM we will ever own.
  • kriegsiekriegsie Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2002 Rendezvous with a laundry list of past problems. I now have 175000 miles on the engine and it is running pretty good. But I'm always waiting for the next shoe to drop. No more GM cars for me either although I did have a Chevy Caprice that was very reliable with over 200K miles. Here is my list that I remember:
    1. Air bag module (under passenger seat)
    2. Blown head gasket ( I was told that the antifreeze eats it away)
    3. Air Conditioner condenser. They said that a screw that was too long was
    hitting it
    4. Front wheel hubs. (several)
    5. Cable to wheel hub sensor
    6. Fan motor control. (did this myself, what a job)
    7. Crankshaft sensor (Car wouldn't start every once in a while)
    8 Rear brakes way before the front brakes.
    9. Dash module showing mileage etc.
    Probably other things I forgot. I put Continental tires on all around and it makes a big driving difference.
  • cassandrajcassandraj Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2005 Buick Rendezvous and I have been noticing that when I come to a complete stop and then proceed to make a turn my gas response does not kick in right away. I have recently replaced the fuel filter and up'd the my gas to 99 or better octane, but the problem did not go completely away. Has anyone experienced this same thing? If, so please let me know how to resolve the issue.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Cassandraj,
    Have you had the vehicle diagnosed for the problem? How long has the concern been present? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2010
    Hi there...

Sorry to read the long list of problems with your 2002 Rendezvous. For my wife's 2003 FWD "basic model" Rendezvous, we've had to perform the following repairs (since our 3.5 year ownership):
    1 - Front Wheel Bearings - replaced with 3rd party HD replacements.
    2 - Rear Wheel Bearings - replaced with 3rd party HD replacements.
    3 - One time, we replaced Front brake rotors & pads "much faster" then expected. Probably because this vehicle is "front end" heavy and during braking, its front brakes are taking 60% of the stress. For replacement rotors and pads, we selected HD replacements. They's been "good" ever since. But... I'm sure "normal quality" replacements would have needed replacement by now.
    4 - Front right brake cylinder - scheduled for next oil change. Currently, it has "slow return". It will last for another 3 weeks - until our next engine oil change.

Other then items 1 & 2, our vehicle has been "solid as a rock". And, its other repairs are "as expected" - for a vehicle of its heavy weight. Currently at 180,000 kms (111,846 miles) and still going strong. We hope it continues to give us many more years of reliable and "comfortable to drive" service.

Only time will tell...

• urbanchurbanch Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you ever resolved the overdrive problem and if so how?

Chris
  • zootrzootr Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 RDV is making a whining sound from the rear end. Third row passengers say it sounds like the transmission does not shift out of first gear, although the tach reads 1,500rpm at about 50mph. Just had new tires put on and the rear diff. flush done, still the whining noise. Have 54,000 miles on car. Front wheel hub, right, has been replaced. If this is a rear wheel bearing-hub problem, is it usually on both sides or only one side?

Thanks, Zootr
  • dlconroydlconroy Member Posts: 5
    Our 2005 RDV's transmission just went out. I was driving the car and it just started to slow down, no warning, no grinding, just a click and no transmission. It won't go forward, reverse...nothing. My son said the same thing like it wasn't shifting out of first gear about a month ago. Shop couldn't find any problem...this was a first because anything and everything has gone wrong with this car. I'm letting it sit until I decide to either buy a new one or fix it again! These cars should be recalled...
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Usually just one side
  • bostonterrierbostonterrier Member Posts: 17
    Hi folks- I have a 2003 CXL with about 70,000 miles on it. This is a small problem, but darn annoying. My rear hatch gate suddenly will not stay up. I push it up all the way, and after about a second (just long enough for you to put your head underneath it!) down it comes. Arghh! Is there any DIY fix for this...or its it "off to the dealership I go"?
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    The rear hatch struts (also called lift supports) have failed and don't have the pressure they need to hold up the hatch anymore. Usually cold weather makes things worse. They cost about $25 each, you'll need one for each side. They are easy to replace and can be found at any auto parts store. If you don't have a strong helper to hold the hatch as you replace them, use a 6' ladder to carefully prop it.
    Thank you! I'll take your advice. I have a helper so this should be an easy one...whew!
  • daveo10daveo10 Member Posts: 1
    I am not a GM or Buick mechanic first of all. I am a back yard mechanic that has been doing this for almost 50 years. I have an 03 Rendezvous and although I have had many of the same issues as I have read , I still love mine.
    Now to what I have learned. There is a cluster of three connections under the drivers seat on the outside of the vehicle. Right where water , salt etc can get into. Mine was and is corroded. I have had 11 pins changed in two separate repairs and have had a couple of broken wires, almost everything behind the driver, electrically, runs through those plugs. Ex:AWD Disable, Service Engine, as well as fuel pump and other stuff. check it out and see if I'm right. When I unplugged mine it was full of water and there you have it. I also had wheel bearing issues, thrust bushings, springs, calipers, front end bushings and many more.
    The connector that creates issues is called the C-305 connector, google 'GM C-305' and you can find most of the issues it can create. From the TSB it suggests problems can be caused by water intrusion inside the cabin and along with fixing the connections the source of water should also be addressed. I believe the connector is weather proofed on outside but not inside so leak somewhere else in cabin may be the culprit.
  • standerson10standerson10 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    2006 Rendezvous with 55212 miles needs front wheel bearing assemblies.

Buick said it wasn't covered under warranty. Buck dealership said the warranty expired two months ago. Dealer was bought the vehicle from said it was "probably" covered.

We can't afford the $100 diagnosis fee.

Any ideas?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Hard to believe they are both bad at once. Likely one is needing replacement.

$85 from rockauto.com - 5% discount with a number and +shipping for the Timken bearing.--this is the once with ABS. Without ABS is $95-5%+shipping.

It would be easier to have a competent garage guy check who will do work being paid for the labor without taking a cut for the parts he sells.

Again, hard to believe both are bad. is it possible you were being led along by someone hoping to get the service job?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Had a mechanic check it out. Passenger side is bad and this vehicle does not have ABS.

How hard it it to replace the assembly?

Thanks for the reply.
    Thanks for the lead on rockauto. I am getting ready to order one. What number do we need for the 5% discount?

Thanks so much for your help.
    edited December 2010
    I just replaced my 2nd one. It was the 2003 leSabre. The tire store rotating and rebalancing my tires told me it was getting looser. I knew it was loose last summer but well within GM's specification.

I would have bought the bearing on rockauto.com and saved $45 or more. But I bought at local Autozone because I was in a hurry to replace it before going to Nashville last weekend to visit friends. Autozone loads the tools needed. They loan a hub nut socket (mine was 34 mm), a 24 inch breaker bar for the nut if tight (mine wasn't), and the hub puller which is a unit that fits over three studs on the hub and has a center stud that you screw inward against the center of the driveshaft to pull the bearing hub off the driveshaft.

On my cars (1998 and 2003) I had to take off the brake bracket on the 2003 which had two bolts that were on good with red locktite. I had to take off three 13 mm nuts on the backside that hold the hub in; they also had locktite and required a 3/8 inch extension to reach from behind. They were torque to 70 lb/ft. On the 1998, those three bolts were #50 or #55 torx head studs facing out that were reached through a hold in the brake hub. Nut on axle has to be torqued to the right amount. Too tight can ruin a bearing.

If you can do a brake job and replace rotor and caliper you can do this. I suggest searching the web for youtube on replacing bearing hub. There are probably some guidelines already there.

Here is one for a Rendezvous.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5678618_remove-wheel-bearing-buick-rendezvous.html

With pictures
    http://www.2carpros.com/questions/buick-rendezvous-2003-buick-rendezvous-changin- g-front-wheel-hub-assembly

You might be able to use AllData at your local library. Ours has access to the database from the computers at the library branches. I can print out there or put pictures and text onto a UBS drive to use at home.

I also recommend purchasing a helminc.com manual for the cars I have. Carefully look for used ones of Ebay.

edited December 2010

This is the discount code they sent me. They can also be found searching on the web. It goes in the box on the order page that says, "how did you find us" or something to that effect. Just the number.

Good luck with the job. Be sure to brace the car with a jackstand. Support the brake rotor with a wire. Use a little red loctite on the threads because it resists heat. Old locktite can be removed by heating to 500 degrees or getting alcohol into the threads.

I recommend pretreating the nuts and things with JB Blaster after putting alcohol on threads where you can. If yours uses bolt heads on the backside, use a 6-sided strong socket. I had to buy one at Autozone. I bought the higher line because it was a little thicker. I broken my cheap set socket on my 3/8 inch extensions. Mine was 13 mm.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information.
  • millermom68millermom68 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, My 2003 Buick Rendezvous has been stalling & dying for months now. We replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump and then some burnt wires going to the fuel pump. I just got it back and now it's doing the same thing it was before we replaced the fuel filter & pump. If it sits and idles for long when I take off it sputter and sometime quit. Other times I am able to keep it going by pressing the gas pedal hard. Most all of this occurs during a left hand turn. I could really use some help here. Thank You
  • ceriffceriff Member Posts: 5
    Ours had been doing this and we found a pass through harness under the drivers rear door under the car. It looked as though it had gotten wet and in turn melted a couple of the terminals. We found it because the car finally quit all together and I was tracing the power for the fuel pump and found this. Hope this helps you out.
  • kwazycakwazyca Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you find out what caused your fan setting problem? Mine is the exact same~
  • carson_smithcarson_smith Member Posts: 1
    I found a great deal on cluster repair. He only charges $125. He has a lot of experience and is very professional. All you do it take it off and mail it to him. If you or a buddy has basic tool knowledge, he has a step by step walk through of how to remove it from your dash. It saved me a TON of money. Click the link. His name is Carl. http://gm-cluster-repair.weebly.com/
    -Carson
    Wow...this is great info to have just in case. I've bookmarked his site. Thanks for posting this, Carson!
  • lllabratlllabrat Member Posts: 12
    I bought a filter for this car. I have jacked up the front and back and looked all underneath the vehicle and inside the engine compartment and cannot find a fuel filter. Why would the auto parts store sell me one if this car does not have one? Do I need to drop the tank. Now that is a job I do NOT want to do.

It is a 2006 rendezvous FWD with 3.5 OHV engine. Car has been with me since new (88k miles ago) and other than a wheel bearing has been great. No problems.

Dave
    Hi - all I can say is I have had my fuel filter replaced recently, so I know it does exist. That, coupled with an oil change in which I switched to synthetic oil, has increased my MPG about 1 and half miles per gallon.
    I have a 2003 CXL and other than the routine stuff (and the Versatrack fluid change) its been great. Got about 70,000 miles on it so far.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. The paper filter element traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Well, it's been a pretty good run with my 2002 Rendezvous. Over the past 9 years of ownership (110,000 miles), my RDV has had a few problems. Thankfully, most were fixed under warranty. All in all, I've really enjoyed owning my Buick. It's been a great cargo-hauler, a safe vehicle, and very comfortable. Today, we signed the paperwork for a 2010 Buick Enclave, with about 11,000 miles on it, and we pick it up in a few days.

Good luck, fellow Rendezvous owners! See you on the Enclave forums!
    Congrats on the new car!! My 2003 Rondy with 70,000 miles has been good to me and its got a while to go as I have 2 kids in college right now so a new car will have to wait for a bit...but when the time comes, I'll be giving the Buicks a test drive that's for sure.
    The Enclave is a beauty - good choice and congrats again!
    Yup - still enjoying our RDV. Ours is a 2007, bought new. Have now put 56,000 miles on it without a problem. Love its versatility, so much cargo room considering its not that big of a vehicle on the outside.

Would definitely buy again. Hauls my family and all of our gear on our cross country vacations with grace.

Brian
  • dtilton790dtilton790 Member Posts: 1
    My left front window will not go up. All the other switches are working on the panel. I think it is just that switch??? It has been marginal, I had to play with the switch it to get the window up, now it is down for good. I can hear the moter run, bottom-out on the down side. Q: how do you replace this switch or can I rewire this switch ie to the right window. All the other windows have 2 switches, BUT the left only one??? I could live with one of the other windows not working from driver/left panel....this car has cost me $$$$ since day one, intake, the head casket, transmission, tire hub...more and more
    If you hear the motor trying to lift the window, then it can't be the switch. That's the job of the switch - to activate the motor. Like a light switch, either it will do its job or it won't.

There could be a few things going on here. Window might be off track. Track could be mucked up making window stick. Problem with lifting mechanism. Motor has gone weak.

You won't know till you take the interior panel off the door and start investigating. If you can help the motor lift the window by pulling up with your hand as you activate the switch, then try lubing the tracks, and if that doesn't work, then the motor is tired and needs replaced.
  • galneedshelpgalneedshelp Member Posts: 12
    Just purchased my daughter her first car yesterday! 2004 Buick Rendezvous. Had it for about 3 hours when I get a call from her. Car won't start. Lights light up and the radio turns on but no clicking or anything of the engine. Finally started it in neutral. Daughter came home and we re-tried to start car. It still won't start in Park but easily does so in neutral. Any ideas?
  • billybobbuickbillybobbuick Member Posts: 2
    How do you replace fluid or repair the AWD so the light goes off?
  • lllabratlllabrat Member Posts: 12
    This vehicle is based on the first gen GM steel bodied minivan. It is the plastic track mechanism that holds and moves the window that needs to be replaced. I had a 99 chevy venture (before my 06 rendezvous). It had the same exact problem and exhibited the same exact symptons before it fully went bad. If I recall the plastic teeth in the mechanism wear or break. Bad design. What a pain to replace. Of course it is the driver window that breaks since that one gets the most use.

Dave
    Some of the common causes for AWD disabled light are Bad connection to wheel sensor or trouble with wiring to the connection. Also possible is problem with C305 connector (google 'gm c305 connector')
    I think a reasonable guess would be an issue with the BTSI (Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock). Its a little gizmo in the console area under shifter.
  • billybobbuickbillybobbuick Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Ray. I'll try that.
    Thanks Ray!. The dealership indicated a neutral safety switch that would cost close to $2700 to repair. They offered to refund all my purchase money (nice of them!) but I asked if I could find cheaper repair elsewhere, would they cover the cost (which they said they would consider). Took it to a shop and they quoted $750 to replace the switch. Showed them a post I read about wires possibly being pinched under the air filter housing (?) (which they weren't). He did notice that if he wiggled a cable in the engine compartment, the underscore under the Park indicator would light up and allow the engine to start. Other times, he would wiggle it and the underscore would not light up and the car would not start. He thought that the cable was too short. Have you heard of anything like that? Would that be associated with the BTSI that you referred to? Thanks for your help!!
    Hhmm Well if the independant person got it to work with a wiggle, I'd have to suggest cleaning and tightning the connections at both ends of cable. Nothing electrical will work with bad connection BTSI or whatever else. If the cable goes directly to underhood fuse box, perhaps a reseat of fuses/relays in there might help. Good luck
  • 1950olds761950olds76 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Getting a P0717 fault on my 2003 Rendezvous CXL. At a consistant 65mph I get an intermittent but sudden increase from 2100 rpm to 3000 rpm. It will hold at 3000 rpm for a bit then decrease back down to 2100 rpm. Before replacing the input turbine speed sensor I want to check the 20 pin connector at the tranny as I notice the air cleaner box was putting alot of stress on the wire harness. My problem is I can't figure out how to disconnect the 20 pin plug. Help!
    Thanks,
    RJ
    Thanks Ray! I've noticed youv'e helped a lot of people on this site. It's greatly appreciated!
    Just an update on my daughter's car. Took it back to the repair shop that noticed the cable issue. The repair man loosened a clamp that allowed more slack on the cable where it goes into the transmission(?). Needless to say, in the 3 weeks since, we have not had a bit of trouble. He replaced my airfilter at the same time and charged me only $45 for everything! What a bargain-saved me a bundle!
    Great to hear, much better then the $2700 idea that would not have corrected the problem.
  • julieamisjulieamis Member Posts: 1
    Hello All! My mother has a 2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL. It's been having some problems--first, the battery wouldn't hold a charge, and the car would die. Then the windows stopped working, and the locks and sunroof will only work intermittently. The battery light is always on, even when the battery has been charged. The 'service engine soon' light is always on as well.

Yesterday, she took the car in, and she was told that the problem is with the body control module. Apparently, this has been happening to a lot of people, but GMC is not issuing a recall. The price to fix it is $700.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? My mom is a senior citizen on a fixed income, and really cannot afford such an expensive repair.
  • ceriffceriff Member Posts: 5
    You can do it yourself pretty easily. The BCM is about $100 new and it's behind the inside fusebox. I replaced mine and then took it to have it programmed for around $60 if I remember right. They have to get the programming from the dealership but usually you can find a local shop that can do that. Just call around. My total repair was under $200. Hope that helps.
    Take it to a local small garage she trusts first. Or someone handy with cars. There is a connector, C305, located under and just behind the drivers seat. The connector runs from outside of the car, to inside the car. It may have gotten moisture into it. Needs someone to inspect it for water damage/penetration. If wet, dry it all out thoroughly, and test the vehicle. This is easy/cheap and should be done before BCM replacement.
    Another thing is that GM knows that the very early Rendezvous BCMs had issues. Someone needs to politely but firmly ask for the Service Manager, explain that you know the 2002 BCMs had problems, and that you'd like GM to help with the cost of the repair. You have a 50/50 chance of getting help if you ask nicely, and sound like you know what you're talking about. By 2003, the Motorola made processor was improved and internal BCM problems are rare after that, its usually connector problems 2003+.
    Hhmm I would wonder about that diagnosis a bit. If the battery light is always on it sounds more like a charging issue. The electronics (including BCM) can be quite sensitive to improper voltage and due crazy stuff if its not up to snuff. I might be more inclined to check cable connections and have a reasonablt long charging system check to ensure there is not an alternater issue.