Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• airmojoairmojo Member Posts: 6
    I just had my wife's 2002 Buick Rendezvous's front wheel bearings replaced by the dealer.

It seemed like the front tires were making a whining noise, and at first I thought I had a problem with the Firestone tires, so I took it to a local tire dealer who carries Firestone tires for in case the tires could be replaced under warranty. He took the car for a test drive and could tell that it was the wheel bearings. He also noted that there seems to be a lot of problems with GM wheel bearings lately.

So beware if you hear your tires whinig and singing--its the front wheel bearings !
    I've had my wife's 2002 Rendezvous in twice to fix this problem but the dealer still hasn't fixed it.

Anyone else have this problem and know how it was fixed ?

The problem is intermittent--does not happen all the time, and never happens when the car is in for maintenance! I suspect that the problem will occur when a police officer or state patrol is behind your vehicle !

The problem (when it happens): Left tail light brake light does not come on, and when right turn signal is on, both rear tail lights flash on and off. These two problems always happen together.

First the dealer replaced some sort of multi-switch, then later replaced the left tail light bulb (said it had a short). But neither solutions have fixed the problem.

And of course you have to be following the car for some time to see the problem occur.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I have been following this board for about two years and this is the first I have heard of this problem.

"Left tail light brake light does not come on, and when right turn signal is on, both rear tail lights flash on and off. These two problems always happen together"

How did you discover this was happening?

~Ken
  • philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    Oh No! Not the dreaded bearings!!!!

I went through that on my 2000 Blazer. changed the front bearings at 20,000 km and again at 50,000 km. I find that so crazy! I've never changed the bearings on any car and here it happened twice under 60,000 km.

I pray my RDV doesn't suffer this fate.
    << How did you discover this was happening? >>

kenym... Someone has to follow you for sometime to verify what's happening, but it does not malfunction all the time. I wish it would, then it would be much easier to fix. Way too many fancy electronics!

A few months back, someone told my wife that one of her brake lights was out. So I get home and go to the garage to check it out (kind of hard to do yourself!), and everything was working fine.

Several days later, I'm following my wife and son home from a doctor's visit where we both drove separately, and I noticed the intermittent problem.

And after it was supposedly fixed (replacement of multi-switch), I again followed my wife home and noticed the problem again. Took it back to the dealer, and they replaced the left tail-light bulb.

And while following my wife again to get my new 2003 Dodge Dakota Rhino bedliner installed, I noticed the problem still existed.

Very frustrating, especially having to describe the same exact problem to the service department over and over again, and he's looking at you like you're nuts.

To protect my wife and myself, I am going to write a letter for the dealer's service manager to sign and date each time it was supposedly fixed (and state that they have really no idea how to fix the problem), so I can present it to the police officer or trooper who pulls me over for inoperable tail-lights.
    philly88... I haven't had a wheel bearing problem since I owned a '65 Corvair (my first car that I bought used in 1972 while a senior in high school). But that was the last GM product that I bought since the 2002 Rendezvous, although my wife has owned a couple of Buicks.

I've owned a 1974 Dodge maxivan, 1976 Horizon TC3, 1984 Dodge Daytona, 1987 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 1996 Dodge Dakota club cab 4x4, and now a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 (man I'm getting old!).

Never had a wheel bearing problem. I wonder who makes the wheel bearings for GM ?
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    So far we are pretty happy with our RDV. Like everyone else we could use more power.
    Since delivery, we drove just over 2k miles without a single problem other than some brake squeal.
    Am I alone or anyone out there has the same problem?
    Yup, here too, Brake Squeal. My exhaust was out of line and was rattling against the drive shaft. After that was fixed I could now hear the brakes. Usually after about 5 minutes of driving the squeal leaves or at least becomes less noticeable.

I'm gonna live with it for a few thousand km, and then ask about it next time something more serious comes up.
    Since I've had my RDV for about three weeks now, I've noticed a few things and was wondering if others are the same.

1) When the vents are selected for heating, the air flow is very light. More air flows when set to defrost mode.

2) The ventilation system is generally a bit noisy. I find myself having to use the higher settings first thing in the morning because of the low airflow, and the high settings are very loud. My Blazer was so quite you would forget the heat was on.

3) My windshield fluid kinda dribbles out. I think there is something in the line blocking the flow because it takes about 8 or 10 seconds for fluid to even come out and then it dribbles, not sprays. How does your fluid come out?

Other than the above I am surprised by the maneuverability of such a large vehicle. The turning radius seems very good. With my Blazer I always had to turn, backup, and turn again to make u-turns in narrow roads.

I continue to be impressed with its smooooth ride. My brother took it for a spin today and aimed for every pothole. In northern Canada this time of year the potholes are huge and pletyfull. While I was in the passenger seat I barely noticed the rough road and never experienced the side to side whiplash effect on bumpy rods my jeep and blazer use to give me.
  • mnfish1mnfish1 Member Posts: 14
    the other day i had my service engine light come on my 2003 rdv. upon closer examination of my gas cap i found it completely off...now...on my 2000 buick century 3.1 i can retighten the cap and the light will come off...or i can take it to a place like checkers and they will 'test it' and remove the service engine light... however with the rdv i have tightened the cap and nothing has happened and furthermore the guys at checker auto store disagree as to whether they can remove the service light...one said only a dealer can shut it off...anybody had experience with this...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    It's my guess from LeSabre 98 experience, that if the problem with fuel system seal is corrected by replacing gas cap, after several starting cycles and finding no leak the light will shut off.

I had a tube break off at the charcoal canister that gave a solid light (no flashing). I didn't realize it was a fuel system check causing it. I could have found the broken tube myself before I took it to the dealer for $44.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    Yes, I've had rear brake squeal too on my '03 RDV CXL with about 4,700 miles...

I took it into the dealer a week ago and he said my pads were cupped and chipped and that they needed to be replaced. Only problem was he didn't have the pads in stock (surprised by that!). Anyhow, he ordered them. Had them installed this past Friday. Was done by 9 am and had the same break squeal at about 9:10 am 5 miles down the road from the dealership. I'm planning on going back a third time now to see what else could be wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks!
    Try another dealer, a reputable one.
  • aehoppaehopp Member Posts: 3
    My ventilation system is also extremely noisy. I have had it in the dealer for them to look at a whiny noise when I run it and also the general noise level. The dealer assures me that both of these are normal. I continue to be more and more disappointed in this vehicle and have contacted GM directly to have an engineer look at the vehicle. Hopefully I will be able to rid myself of it within the next six months. I will never buy another GM.
    I don't think we can do much about the brakes and vent noise. A co-worker has a Venture van, and his ventilation is even louder, but similar in nature. It seems to be the design and not a "problem". I noticed it when I test drove the RDV and kinda ignored it cause I liked the RDV.

The brakes too may be due to the make of the brake pads. I've had brake pads never make a noise and others squeaked from installation. Depending on the composition and the quality of the brake pads will result in varying noise levels. Of course the better pads make no noise.

All and all, every vehicle has something that doesn't sit just the way you would like it. If we could only find the perfect vehicle :)

My fix for the vents is to use the defrost and floor outlets. They make less noise, have the most airflow, and I don't get air blasted right in my face. If you switch to just floor the noise level is very low.
  • hanahhanah Member Posts: 3
    Took my RDV in for the 2nd. time yesterday. Had a very bad burning odor from engine area. Was told it was plastic bag stuck to cat converter. I complained again about the wind noise from both pass & drivers side door openings. I was told again, that it was the wind rush over mirrors, and until enough complaints were received by GMC they wouldn't be able to do anything about it! Said they have to wait for a "service bulliten" to be issued. So, EVERYONE with the wind noise PLEASE write to GMC and CALL too!!! ALSO, does anyone else have a "tapping" noise from engine area? Sort of sounds like the old cars when tappets were very loud! I was told it was a "normal" sound of the fuel injectors! Funny, This noise as well as the others (wind and the next I'll mention) weren't there when I test drove the car! Next, is the sound thats happens off and on like a loud fan...I was also told,that noise is the "normal level ride compressor working as designed". Last problem has been the odor after using the A/C ...they were to have fixed it the first time in...this time said they sprayed intake system with odor eliminator. It smells like car freshner, of which I might ad, I'm allergic to! I have a question post #411 from the attorney: Is there any way to get a list of the 2003 Rendezvous owners so I can send a plea out for all with ANY of these three noise problems to call & write about their complaints...so they will find a way to resolve these problems and issue "bullitens" to the dealers!
  • jzfljzfl Member Posts: 4
    Looked at the RDV's last year and thought the rear cup holders were too flimsy and no way to open the back hatch from the outside.

$3k discount and a Golf discount made it worthwhile. Captains chairs solved the cup holder problem.

While I was looking at the engine, I noticed how hard it was to get to the rear plugs. I asked the service manager how they are changed, and he said they have to tilt the engine to do it. When I inquired about the cost, he said $69. He said they eat the cost on this.

Anyone change their plugs yet? I'd do the wires at the same time.
    The spark plugs are the long life type, 90-100K miles, so you have plenty time to think about it.

Regarding the "noises", I drove my RDV for 2200 miles and... I dont know what you are talking about. Have a second opinion from another dealer.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    So far so good. I've not had much complaints or things failing or acting up.

Service engine light - I had my light lit up at around 500 miles on the odometer. I took it in to the dealer and diagnosis was vapor leak due to loose gas cap. It was recommended to tighten the cap until you here 2-3 clicks. Also they tightened something behind the gas cap. I've followed the 3 click rule on every fill up and no problems since.

Vents - My vents are no louder than my older car (Ford) and friends' Camrys, Altimas, Oldsmobile. They all get equally loud as you turn up the fan speed. The flow of air is no different as far as I can tell.

Wind noise - I do notice wind noise more distintly as I approach 65+ mph, but again SUV's not generally not aerodynamic as a car. Also on very windy days the noise is more obvious at lower speeds around 50+ mph.

Breaks - No noticeable squeaking on OEM pads.

My major maintenance complaint is how incredibly DIFFICULT it is to change the engine air filter or to inspect it.
  • lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    Hey guys... been a while since I've posted!

I've been noticing some really odd nosises that seem to be associated with steering on my 2002. There is a realy loud whine that occurs when turning the wheel... also there is a "clank" when turning right or when the wheel is turning back to neutral...

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

~Lance
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Hi Guys, have not posted in a while. My wifes RDV 2002 just turned 9000 mi. No real problems until coming home from a trip to Atlantic City NJ. Was just taking off slowly from a stop light when I got this whining vibration. As fast as it came it went and the 200 mi trip home was un-eventful. Was just wondering if this rings a bell with anyone. Seem to recall earlier posts there were some "Vibration Issues" Any input will be appreciated. Happy RDV ing :)Stll love this vehicle~~
  • toonzeetoonzee Member Posts: 19
    experiencing a humming/whining noise coming from the passenger side front wheel area. I took the vehicle in for service today, advised that they had to replace the hub bearings in the wheel. Others have had the same problem, pattern developing? Also a problem with the compass, would not reset or show the proper direction. Service said they need to install a new part behing the dash, wasn't really specific. First problem I have had, besides the struts on the rear door, which they replaced last January. 17000 miles. QUESTION, once GM repairs/replaces a part under warranty, is it covered for life. Thanks
    Oh no, I had to do the bearings on my blazer twice within 40,000km. I hope my RDV isn't the same. The newly installed bearings on your vehicle are covered under your remaining warranty, and when that is up so is the warranty on their repairs that were done under it.
  • lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I was told that any work done by GM w/ certified GM parts is warrantied for the life of the vehicle against defects... check w/ your serivce rep and see what he says.

~Lance
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I had to replace the wheel bearings and hubs of my 2002 Aztek (identical drive train to RVD. The first one went at 28300 miles, and the second one followed about 1000 miles later. The noise generated by defective bearings is most prominent once the vehicle is warm and drives at speeds between 30 to 40 mph on a slightly curving road (loads more vehicle weight and side ward forces on the individual front wheel).

Good luck!
    I have never heard of warranty for life other than at muffler and brake shops. If you are refering to "defects" that just means that there would be a defect in the installed part and that would be covered by warranty. But I assure you that GM would see bearings replaced after 40,000 miles not as a defect but as a worn part.

So if your repair were to fail within a few thousand miles, they would cover it, but after two or three years they won't. I would love to hear any contradicting stories, but from my experience, NOTHING is covered for life of vehicle at GM.
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    I am at 48,000 kms and I am on my second bearing fix. Last week I had a new problem with my fuel gauge - was showing half full when it was actually empty. When I took it to the dealer, there was another guy that was reporting the same problem. Apparently, GM is aware of this problem and is asking the dealer to add a bottle of an additive to the gas tank. If this does not remedy the problem after three refill - then they would replaced the sensor or the gas tank. Anyone of you experiencing the same problem. The list of problems goes on and on the vehicle. Within the first 18 months, I had the following : 3 BCM replacement, 2 bearings, 1 alternator and now the fuel gauge - who knows what next!!!
    When you put fan speed at 2 or more there is a hissing sound. You have to turn off the radio. It is that hissing sound that is the problem - not the loudness of sound of air coming out of the vent. Other cars may be as lound but does has have that hissing sound - a constant beeeeeeeeee...
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    I've owned by 2002 CXL RDV for one year, this month. I have not had it in for any service, other than oil changes and tire rotation.

The only thing that has broken is the driver lumbar support adjusting wheel (made out of plastic). Other than that, I have no complaints or mechanical problems with this vehicle. I'm very happy with the RDV and would highly recommend it.

It's sad to read others report multiple significant problems, but I'm glad to report that it's not fleet-wide ;)
  • wooleybarewooleybare Member Posts: 1
    ive had my 2002 CXL since nov of 2001. i have had the following issues 1) on board computer blew out, rendering everything inoperable; was in service for 9 days (no replacement avail fm 'the factory' i was told); the service engine light came on after the 12k checkup. had to have the gas tank replaced cause it was not sealing properly; most recently water has been getting into the cabin of the car through the sunroof. the first time i took it in was told one of the four drains from the roof was clogged; however, it happened again this past week. both times we had had heavy rainfall and the service tech sed that the drains just couldn't handle all the rain. BS! does every RDV owner in the country with a sunroof have to take their cars in for an interior cleaning after a heavy rain?? I dont think so.
    i read all the msgs on this board so far and dont see where anyone has had probs with leaking. anybody out there who has?
  • r_olsenr_olsen Member Posts: 13
    I've had my rendezvous in 3 times for the tapping noise also, at first the noise was only noticeable on acceleration. The dealers first attempt was to replace the timing chain and tensioner, this only made the problem noticeable all the time. The dealer then brought in the area service manager who said this was a characteristic of the engine and nothing could be done. Funny how the demo I drove never had this characteristic, neither does the rendezvous that a friend of mine has and from the looks of the messages here, there's only one other out there with this characteristic. Since I live in Minnesota the temps here are just beginning to get above 65, and whenever that happens the engine overheats, the temp gauge reaches the 3/4 mark, I brought it in to the dealer and was told this was NORMAL, somehow this just doesn't seem NORMAL to me. Buick's so-called assistance center is a complete joke, they have done nothing to help so much for GM satisfaction. Currently I'm in the process of pursuing the LEMON LAW in this state, and if that doesn't work a lawsuit will be forthcoming. So I'd like to hear from any others about the engine noise or the overheating....
  • cigar95cigar95 Member Posts: 13
    I've had my CX about four months now. Two times, including last Sunday, while driving on the freeway, I've heard a sound I can only describe as a "ringing" coming from right behind the dash/steering column.

Imagine an loud tuning fork - that's what I mean by ringing. More like a persistent, high-pitched hum, like something is resonating, rather than like a ringing bell.

It happened two or three times in the course of about five miles, lasting maybe 15 seconds each time.

Two incidents in four months is *very* intermittent, so taking it to the dealer may not be useful unless this is something that's well-known.

So, does what I'm describing sound familiar? Thanks for any feedback.
    No, my CX, which is only 4 months old doesn't make that ringing sound yet anyway. The tapping noise to really describe it would be if you were to put a marble in a glass jar and shake it the jar. So far taking it to the dealer has been fruitless, they've diagnosed all the problems as "NORMAL" engine characteristics, even the overheating. Anytime the temp. gauge hits the 3/4 mark I would think that somethings wrong. Keep us posted though if you CX develops any further problems.
    I had a really odd loud tapping or chatter when I first bought my RDV. It sounded as if it where coming from the rear brakes but at times sounded much more up front. It occurred mainly while accelerating between 0 - 45km then when away at higher speeds. It also went away when the RDV reached operating temperature.

End result, one dealer said it was the brakes were a bit rusted from sitting on the lot too long. But my local dealer right away said the exhaust system was misaligned. They re-aligned the exaust system and presto, no more noise, smooth as silk.

They couldn't really explain why it occurred at just low speeds and why it went away at operating temperature, but the only guess is it had to due with the metal expanding just enough to shift things around not to chatter.

I don't know if this is anything like your problem, but it is a simple thing to quickly check out. It didn't sound like a loose tail pipe, and could be missed. As far as the operating temp of your RDV, mine doesn't go to 3/4 temp, but the temp hadn't been that hot outside yet where I live. As long as it regularly goes to 3/4 temp and stays there without getting hotter I guess you should be ok.
  • hanahhanah Member Posts: 3
    This is Hanah in Nevada. I STILL have ALL my noises! Am going out of town & will Take my RDV in to another dealership when I return. The wind noise gets worse all the time. The tapping continues & the "rear leveling" noise goes on every time just after I start up the engine! I'll let you know what another dealer says....may try a shop too that takes care of all makes. I'll report after I do these....also let me know what you find out about your lemon law.
    Here in Minnesota you must first go through the manufacturers arbitration program if one is offered, so that's where I'm at. Currently a meeting is scheduled for June 4, where I meet with the arbitrator and explain my case and show all documentation of the problems. Whatever he decides, the manufacturer must abide by, but I do not have to accept his decision and can further file a lawsuit, which I am prepared to do. Every state is a little different, but you have to have taken the vehicle in at least 3 times for the same problem without it be corrected. You then have to notify the dealer or manufacturer via certified mail of your intention to either go to arbitration or that a lawsuit is coming. I've heard that the lawsuit route is the most expensive for them, so they try to settle before things get to court, we'll see. It will be interesting if another dealer, or shop can correct or explain the problems with your RDV, let us know...
    Hmmm, I am interested in the results of your action against the dealerships if they can't correct the problems. I've had my fair share of problems with dealers, and have come to know that with things such as noises that have no technical "problem" causing them you can't do much about it, even with the lemon law.

In their eyes the vehicle is fine mechanically, its characteristics are the noises you hear. I have the wind noise too. I'm sure that it is coming from the rear view mirror on the driver side. When I open the window I still hear the noise and when I stick my head close to the mirror it sounds like its there. Again, with a strong cross wind I find the wind noise much louder, but on less windy days I can barely hear it, sometimes not at all.

With the leveling sound, it sounds normal to me. I've had cars with the leveling feature before When you start the car it calculates the weight load and raises the rear appropriately when the ignition is turned on. It it a rather loud noise that the only thing I can think of comparing it to would be a lower toned grocery conveyor belt. It levels and then the noise goes away after it is done, 5 to 10 seconds or so. It shouldn't really go back on unless the weight in your vehicle changes.

The tapping noise may possibly be normal piston slap. I too can not stand the noise. My Blazer drove me crazy as it tick ticked away while I drove. but it is considered normal to a certain extent. Lower octane fuel will make this much worse. Have you tried a higher octane fuel? This simple solution sometimes makes the noise go away all together if not make it less.

Good luck though, it's no fun to drive a vehicle that you don't feel happy with. That is why my 2000 Blazer is now someone elses problem and I'm driving my Rendezvous with a big smile. 3,000km and no problemmo's.
  • moosiemoosie Member Posts: 15
    My 2002 CXL has the overheating problem as well. The dealer stated that this occurs when the AC is not on. The cooling fans do not come on until the 3/4 mark on the gauge. However when the AC is on the fans are running all the time. Mine has the trailor towing package so it also has the heavy duty cooling. Sounds strange but that is their belief
  • melsnymelsny Member Posts: 35
    I have an '02 CXL with 17K miles. I've never heard any tapping noises and my temperature reading never goes above the midpoint under any conditions. Concerning the tapping, is this sound evident to everyone in the vehicle, or just you? I'm an automobile lemon law arbitrator and I've had complaints about noises that most people with normal hearing don't hear. Before the hearing see that the dealership service manager or service writer documents that he heard it. I would be more concerned with the overheating problem.
    My RDV is a 2003, it had about 2000 mi on it when I first brought it into the dealer. The service manager, and the mechanic both went on a test drive with me and heard the tapping noise. As for others, just before I brought it into the dealer I had offered to drive some of my peers at work to lunch on day, after all the ooh's and aah's walking up to it, when I started it, and before I even backed out of the parking space, the first thing my co-worker said was "does it always make that noise?". A hard question to answer when you just bought a new vehicle. I agree I am more concerned about the overheating and really wonder if they might be even related?? Not having ever been to arbitration before, and seeing you are an arbitrator, how do the cases usually go, I can understand that many people likely hear noises that others do not, but when the mechanic admits that they had no idea what the problem was, nor had they ever seen or heard this before, and then after the fact claim it to be a characteristic, doesn't that sound weird. As for the overheating, any suggestions on presenting this to the arbitrator, I been documenting the results of engines that overheat, like warped heads and blown head gaskets, but what would be the best way to present my concern abut this.

thanks
    I've had the overheating problem last summer and when I brought it to them - I was told it was normal. I was told that the thermostat was set at about 3/4 range and that when it goes higher than that the fan will kick in to cool it off. I think that this problem is more prevalent on the ones with a towing package. I will keep an eye on it this summer as it just started to happen at the end of last summer. Keep an eye on your fuel gauge as the material that they used in the gas tank will react to a certain type of gas and would result in a very sticky fuel gauge. Right now they have added an additive and it does not look that it is working.
    An arbitrator signs an oath at each hearing that he will render a fair and impartial decision. I make all efforts to do this by carefully listening to both parties' positions and looking at all documentation.
    The manufacturer should be required to show some kind of documentation that indicates that this sound is a characteristic of this engine. I've had cases where the manufacturer actually presented a document showing that tapping sounds were complained about and that the engineering people opened an engine after some number of miles to see if there was any unusual wear. As you would expect, in this case, they claimed no extraordinary wear.
    You will have an opportunity to demonstrate the sound to the arbitrator. Some engines do make faint tapping sounds from either the valves or fuel injectors. Sometimes these sounds get quieter when the engine warms up. I haven't heard it on my RDV.
    Concerning the overheating, my gauge never reaches the midpoint while I see that some people have written messages here about having the towing package and having gauges go higher. Just because a gauge goes 3/4 doesn't mean that the engine is overheating to the point of boiling over. I don't believe that you'll accomplish anything showing an arbitrator the ill effects of overheating. You should try to prove that it actually did overheat instead of just having the gauge go higher that usual.
    You can request the Council of Better Business Bureaus (who you have to go through for a GM arbitration) to have an Independent Technical Inspector check for the two specific problems that you are complaining about and submit a report prior to the hearing.
    Good Luck
    Thanks for your help, I will follow your advice in requesting a independent technical inspection of the vehicle from the BBB. In regards to the engine noise, lets say that the manufacturer provides some documentation about this issue in claiming it is a 'characteristic' of the engine. Even if only 2 vehicles ever sold have this problem, does that still qualify it as an characteristic, and would the arbitrator still look at this way? Would the same be true concerning the overheating, if other vehicles of the same type do not exhibit this, how do you define what is normal operation. To prove the overheating, I guess I'd have to actually be stuck on the side of the road with steam billowing out, otherwise I'm not quite sure how you could prove this, without the manufacturer coming back and saying I did this on purpose and thus invalidated any and all warranties.
    "Characteristic" surely means the majority of vehicles with that particular engine, etc. See if you can get an opinion from another Buick dealership service manager, they may not wish to get involved, but try anyhow. Concerning overheating, where is your temp needle normally? What do you consider overheating? The range of calibration of the gauge may be such that what you're seeing is just in the high range of normal. Unless there is a significant difference in temp dial readings you'll have difficulty in calling this an overheating condition. If you're convinced that this is abnormal you should be prepared to show pictures of gauge readings at the hearing, or better yet, go directly to the dealership when this happens, don't turn off the engine and have the service manager or service writer look at the gauge. They have devices which can take a temp reading off of the engine block. I hope that some of this helps you.
    You've been very helpful, thanks again. I will see if I can get into another dealership to have someone else look at the problems before the BBB hearing. On the overheating issue, normally, and most of time the needle is between the 1/4 and the 1/2 markings, on the highway it never gets above about 1/3. It appears only when the outside temperature goes above 70 degrees and I'm driving in residential areas, 30 mph, a few stops here and there this is when it starts to go beyond the 1/2 and hits or gets very close to the 3/4. Today for example, the first day since sometime in April that we almost reached 80, on my way home from work the needle came ever so close to the 3/4, and stayed there until I parked the vehicle in the garage and turned it off. Tomorrow it suppose to be warm again, so I'll stop by the dealership and get an eyewitness.
    When your gauge goes over the half way mark and you are driving slow is the A/C on. That is the key factor according to BUICK about the cooling. If not, the fans are not running and the temp gauge will go up to 3/4's. Check it with the A/C on and see if it makes a difference.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    What does the RDV owner's manual say about the temperature gauge. My guess (I don't have it with me) is that it says unless the indicator goes into the red, the temperature is normal. That being said, I have a 2002 RDV CXL *without* the towing package and my vehicle's heat gauge rarely goes above the halfway mark.
    The high temp. occurs with the A/C off, I haven't had the need for the A/C to be on yet. Also I do not have the towing package. The dealership's service dept. has said this is normal, but I've never had a vehicle do this before. Also from the messages posted so far here, it would seem that most of the RDV owners have never had there temp. guage cross the 1/2 mark, which to me would be normal operating temperature. If this was a normal operation of the engine's cooling system then why doesn't every vehicle exhibit this trait?
    I have the CXL with the auto temp control. I also have the trailor towing package. If the Auto control is left on the gauge does not move above the 1/4 mark. If I shut the auto control off, the gauge will go to the 3/4 mark, but never goes above it. Buick says that this is a normal operation of the system and that the vehicle is not over-heating. My friend has CXL without the trailor towing package and his does not do this. It never goes above the 1/2 way point.
    Seems to me that there is some underlying problem here and Buick just doesn't want to admit it, either that or they haven't figured out what's causing some engines to get hot enough for the gauge to hit the 3/4 mark while others never go beyond the 1/2. So the question I would ask is does anyone have another vehicle that this is common too, or considered normal engine operation. For myself I have never owned a vehicle whose operating temp. reached the 3/4 mark, so naturally when it happened on my new RDZ I became a little concerned.