Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    If we can somehow identify people with BCM problems living in more wet climate regions, this solution will even be more probable. A picture of that fix would be very helpful too and maybe simple enough to do yourself if out of warranty.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Who here lives in a climate requiring lots of air conditioning use?

Who had BCMs fail during summer air conditioner season from other climes?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    I guess whats strange is that our 02 RDV ran perfect during the summer and lost all its BCM's in the dead of winter.A new one wouldnt last a week.In fact one time when we went to pick it up at the dealer after being there for 12 days it wouldnt even start!!

Someone on here in the past said their RDV's wiring was all corroded from water damage.Possibly it could have been caused by the AC in the summer which could possibly cause the BCM to short out any time of the year.

You would think Buick would be addressing this problem as I'm almost sure that every single Buick dealer in the U.S. and Canada has had RDV's with bad BCM's.Its had to cost Buick a ton of money and lost customers.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    regalluvr said, "I'm almost sure that every single Buick dealer in the U.S. and Canada has had RDV's with bad BCM's." Some of your statement simply amaze me! How can you say that with a straight face? Again, you would need a lot more data to back up a sweeping statement like that. "Every single Buick Dealer in the U.S. and Canada"????????? WOW!

And if the BCM is indeed located in such a place where water can collect, wouldn't the wet (e.g., rainy, snowy, slushy) regions be more likely to have Rendezvous with bad BCM's? Here in Wisconsin, we got 12" of snow a week ago, 6" more a few days ago. I drive through slush, snow, and puddles on a daily basis. This is my RDV's 3rd Wisconsin winter! Still on original BCM here ... hmmmmm ... and I use the air conditioner regularly in our hot humid summers.

Also, where does your RDV puddle water in the summertime? It's not anywhere near the firewall/passenger compartment. The RDV puddles toward the front of the car. Perhaps this anonymous "Buick tech" could come forward and tell us more about this fix. I'd love to hear more ;)
    I don't think it'll be easy to determine down to the level whether shorting out is due to rain,snow,slush or combination of them. But it sounds like wetness/dampness in general may be the culprit (in my opinion). Also, I would think a car left exposed to the elements while not in drive (say overnight at the curb) would allow more moisture/wetness into the nooks and crannies than a car driving through the rain.

Hopefully someone from Buick is reading this board.
    jk27,

Tell me why it isnt possible for every single Buick dealer in the U.S.-Canada to have at least one Rendezvous with electrical problems?My local dealer has only sold 7-8 RDV's and has ones with electrical problems.I bet most all Buick dealers have sold more RDV's than he has.Ask the Buick dealer where you bought your RDV at and report what you find out on BCM's.I ask at every dealer I go to.

In the past year I have been on numerous automotive forums.At most everyone you go to the first thing you see mentioned in the Buick section is my Buick Rendezvous is having electrical problems.BCM failures and electrical problems dwarf the rest of the RDV problems mentioned.If it wasnt for the BCM problem we would still own our 02 CXL.

I have kept track of all BCM failures and have a list of over 100 now.What are the odds of 2 RDV owners buying theirs at the same dealer posting on the internet?Probably far less than 1000 RDV owners have ever posted on an automotive forum peroid so we have 159,000+ to hear from yet.GM could sure tell us how many are having BCM problems but they arent talking.

A year ago all RDV BCM's were on back order and you had to wait 5-10 days to even get one.Believe me we know all to well.It had to be a tremendous problem everywhere.

By the way I think the BCM is located inside the vehicle where slush and snow cant get to it,only moisture from an AC.This anonymous Buick man posts on another forum as fenderbender as he works in a Buick body shop in FL.I asked him a question and he hasnt been back on lately.

Here is another happy RDV owner.Taken from another forum which I'm not allowed to link you too.

Full Review

I've had this vehicle for about 1.5 years. Got stuck with this vehicle on the Maine Turnpike...even Onstar would not work to call for assistance. Had to reset the main computer by disconnecting the battery at the fuse box inside the engine compartment, waiting 10 seconds, and reconnecting. Dealer ran diagnostics on it and found error codes for Master computer unit, gasoline info sending unit, and oil pressure sensor. Parts were very difficult to find and had to wait a week to get it fixed. Dealer told me that most of the 2002 Rendezvous's they sold were returned for new master computer unit. The master computer unit has apparently been upgraded by Buick to resolve the problems, but you don't find out about it until you get stuck with the vehicle and have it towed to the dealer if you're not smart enough to figure out that disconnecting the battery puts you back in motion.

I CAN POST LOTS MORE LIKE THE ABOVE!
    regalluvr said, "I CAN POST LOTS MORE LIKE THE ABOVE!". Calm down, there's no need to yell.

While I have no doubt that you can post lots of anecdotal anonymous unconfirmable posts gleaned from the internet, it doesn't mean that the Rendezvous isn't a great, reliable vehicle (unless you can post 160,000+ posts -- 1 from every RDV owner). The simple fact of the matter is that for every RDV owner who reports serious troubles, there are many, many others who have not had serious troubles!

Remember ... every single solitary make and model of vehicle will have some lemons. That's just the way it is. Are you somehow making this your life mission to bash Rendezvous and prevent people from buying them? Or, are you simply trying to generate sales of extended warranties? ;)

I continue to recommend the Rendezvous as a great vehicle. I have a 2002 RDV CXL (with no extended warranty). Still on original BCM, no bearings problems, no electrical problems, no stalling, no bad mileage. 37,000+ miles and going strong! Of course, YMMV ;)
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    About half the time, the CD player forgets where it was when last playing, and goes back to the beginning of track 1. That's it. Could this be a harbinger of computer problems to come? [6 months, 5,000 wonderful miles, and counting].
    jk,

Heres an RDV owner thats very glad that he had an extended warranty.You could have very easily ended up with this one?How would you feel then?You seem to have very little compassion for problem RDV owners.This one could sure empty the old checking account in a hurry.If I had one that bad it would be long gone by now.By the way this is from a very well known car magazines forum which I cant mention on here.

Results: 2002 BUICK RENDEZVOUS User Results

Submitted by: Reviewer from ottawa , IL

Date Reviewed: 10/23/2004 9:44:09 AM

Years Owned: 2 Years

Mileage: 45000

Style: CXL awd

Owned Before: I have previously owned a vehicle of this make.

Pros: sound system is great

Cons: quality control and electrical

Review: This vehicle is on its fifth BCM, third instrument cluster, third PCM,third battery, third leveling pump and third starter. It has had the intake gaskets replaced as well as the water pump. It also has had the condensor replaced. This has not been a good vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone else. Thank goodness I have the extended warranty on this vehicle or it would have been a financial disaster.

Rating

Overall 1

Vehicle Styling 2.5

Braking 5

Handling 5

Fuel Economy 2.5

Interior Comfort 5

Acceleration 2.5

Dependability 2.5

Fit and Finish 5

Transmission 5

Ride 5

I have many-many more like the above stored away on my computer.I just found another RDV owner on his 6th BCM.RDV's are like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.One can be totally good and one can be totally bad.Its hard to believe that they could have all possibly came down the same assembly line together.

I'm not here to bash the RDV or their owners,just to warn people about the problem ones that are out there.We traded one off and the people that bought it never even bothered to call us for info on its past.If you buy a used RDV please check put its history.I'd even consider owning another RDV if I knew it would be dependable.Most ex RDV owners say they will never buy another GM product but thats not me.Buick really should try to help out the problem RDV owners in some way.Some owners didnt get much for their hard earned money and took a pounding.

I'm no big fan of extended warrantys but I'd sure have one if I owned a 2002-03 RDV.I've only had one extended warranty in my life and never used it.

I'll tell you what.Lets call a truce.I think I've made my point.I'll lay low for awhile if you lay low.Lets hear from other RDV owners good or bad.It will soon be corn planting time and I have lots to do.

By the way over the weekend I'll probably stop by one of the largest Buick RDV dealers in the midwest.I'd like to see my first new Ultra.It might be fun to test drive an Ultra with the new 3.6.Lets face it,the 3.4 was barely adequate.Our local Buick dealer only got in one new 2004 RDV and hasnt even gotten in a 2005 yet.By the way we still watch for RDV's when we are out on the hiway.We see more and more of them and it makes us wish our 02 CXL had been dependable.We didnt enjoy having to trade it off.

jk,good luck with your RDV.
  • cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    Just to let everyone know that I am very happy with my 2002 CX. Not one problem at 18,000 miles. But this board scares me. I keep thinking any day something will break
    cmccull said, "Just to let everyone know that I am very happy with my 2002 CX. Not one problem at 18,000 miles. But this board scares me. I keep thinking any day something will break." Don't live in fear ... enjoy your RDV. Keep up with the maintenance and periodically check your coolant levels. If it drops, bring it in for a checkup.

The "fear" that some posters have put into others here I do not believe is warranted. You have another 18,000 miles of bumper to bumper warranty on your vehicle. Good luck!
    regalluvr:

I agree ... we've both made our points. There are good RDV's and there are bad RDV's out there. Hopefully Consumer Reports is correct that the reliability has continued to improve and this will become less of an issue.

Good luck with planting! And let us know how you like the Ultra (I do wish my RDV had a bit more pep!).
  • paulb3paulb3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2002 with 55K miles. Today a mechanic at local gas station said I'm loosing antifreeze thru a leaking intake manifold. Antifreeze is leaking into the engine! He said if not repair soon the engine will be severally damaged.

I need to go to GM dealer tomorrow and see if this costly repair (replace intake manifold approx $1000) is partly covered by GM secret warranty.
  • tiefertiefer Member Posts: 1
    This may or may not help with this problem but I had a love/hate relationship with a 1990 Grand Prix STE Pontiac that had electrical problems out the door. The dealer had it 4 out of the first 6 weeks that I owned it but I did get 100,000 mile out of it before I traded it. In those 4 weeks the dealer replaced alot of the electrical system and a battery that seemed to be OK but didn't have the right resistance(?). We decided to get rid of the car when we had alot electrical problems some of which I am reading here and I found a wire connector that had melted and was causing all kinds of no lights, not starting and other weird things. I would have hoped that by now that GM would have gotten it right but much to my disappointment, for now I have Rendezvous, it looks like I may have another problem.
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Regalluvr's suggestion makes sense as the BCM is located inside the center console, and a spilled soda might cause a short circuit.

Another possibility - voltage regulator gone bad and causing BCM failures. Check wiring and fuses for damage.

Yet another possible explanation is that it's all in the Motorola's BCM "microprocessor condition" as stated in the latest GM TechLink newsletter at

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/cnt_mo/TLcme.html#story6

Essentially what it says is that you need to double-check that the mechanics replacing the BCM must be trained and follow the service procedure exactly in order to fix the BCM. Just returning to the same dealer to replace yet another BCM won't solve the problem. Consider trying another dealer in your area if the first one can't do it right the first time.

More on this subject at

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/jul04/TLJul04e.html#story- - 6

On a different note, someone asked for programming. The BCM keyfob programming method was suggested by pontiac-dude as follows:

"There's a manual method of programming keyless entry transmitters also. Make sure that you have all the transmitters you want to be able to use handy because the system will have to "learn" each one, even if they already worked before. If you have the memory seat/radio/mirror option you'll need to program the remote for 'driver 1' first, then 'driver 2', then up to 2 others. Here's how to do it:

1. Close the vehicle doors.

2. Turn OFF the ignition.

3. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.

4. Press and hold the driver side door lock switch to the unlock position.

5. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.)

6. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.)

7. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.) Leave the ignition key in the ignition lock cylinder.

8. Release the door lock switch. The body control module (BCM) will sound three beeps in order to verify the Program Mode has been activated.

9. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter simultaneously for approximately 5 seconds . The BCM will sound two beeps in order to verify that the transmitter has been successfully programmed.

10. Perform the previous step to program up to four transmitters.

11. Remove the ignition key in order to exit the Program Mode.

12. Verify the proper operation of each transmitter."
  • golarrygolarry Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 RDV CXL with 41K miles and have begun to see the same symptoms as described by henry2. The dealer recommended a four-wheel alignment, but all that did was to move the steering wheel off-center point from 15 degrees right to 15 degrees left. This now occurs only after I make a left turn.

I'm interested in any follow up done by Buick customer service.
  • samyunleesamyunlee Member Posts: 4
    I have an 02 RDV CXL with one serious problem that I am in the process of trading-in.

I've been having a problem with engine shutting off at a speed of 15-30 miles and it happens every 3-4 months. It happened last Thursday morning and my wife and 4 year old son were riding in it and they almost got hit from behind. I took the RDV to a dealer but could not locate the problem again.

I've had this problem ever since I purchased this new vehicle and have been in dealer shop for a numerous times just for this reason. Everytime, I take this car into the shop all they do is the "Scan the software and update." I have all their service reports in writing but this problem is not going away and it will happen again in next few months and I can't take anymore risk.

Besides this, my RDV engine blew at 4000 miles and the dealer replaced. I had a A/C Condenser replaced at 16000 miles and a hub bearing replaced at 22000 miles and both covered by warranty.

Can anyone tell me if my car is fit into a lemon and how to preceed with?
    I'm sure sorry to hear of all your problems.I expect that by now you've owned your 02 RDV too long to have it lemon lawed.The lemon laws are different from state to state.

It just seems like that these days lots of car dealers just dont know what to do about electrical problems which is what yours has.Does your RDV refuse to restart after shutting down?More than one 02-03 CXL RDV has the same problem as yours.A lady in a distant town has one that shuts down at 60-70 mph and she has almost been hit from the rear several times.It will refuse to restart until its towed in to the dealer.They have worked and worked on it and cant seem to find the problem.

Yours is only the 3rd RDV that I've heard of losing an engine.The Dodge Durango owners seem to be faring far worse on engines as I've read about 100's of them losing engines due to sludge build up.

Good Luck.
  • nomaracknomarack Member Posts: 9
    I haven't had as serious of a problem as some of the people on here, but we recently brought ours in for service. We needed an oil change, figured on new tires, and thought we might also need brakes, as we were hitting that time at about 42,000 miles. After it was checked out we were informed that in addition to the stuff above, it also had a brake caliper that was falling apart, a leaking head gasket and both front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Without us even having to argue with them, they indicated that GM was going to cover the head gasket and wheel bearings. Overall we have not experienced hardly any problems at all and are pretty satisfied. Now if GM hadn't covered the wheel bearings and head gasket.....
    Nice to hear that Buick stepped up to the plate to help you out!

Keep on truckin' (or cross-over'ing)!
  • ross5ross5 Member Posts: 2
    Love this site! Wish we had discovered it before purchasing 03 RDV CXL. We too have had problems with rear gate, clicking brake peddle, engine cutting out at low speeds etc etc etc.
    BUT our new big problem is with transmission. I took rdv into "jiffy" type lube to have engine fluids checked this is second time (we have 40k miles). Within 180 miles car started acting wierd intermittently as if a FUEL PUMP problem was acting up- car would not always respond to gas pedal being pushed / rpms would not respond etc although it was not a problem to start. Anyways barely got to destination and had car towed to dealer. They said our transmission had been overfilled by 2 quarts and this had caused 'areation' in system keeping transmission from being lubricated resulting in ruined cluthes and eroded transmission. They imediatly began to take out transmission and set motion to replace.Needless to say dealer says that our extended warrenty is nullified on this due to the fact that work was not performed by them.
    But could all of this erosion and ruined transmission happen in 180 miles. Or are they trying to get out of warrenty work? "juffy" type lube place says they have video tape of no fluid being put in.
    What to do?
  • rcawkerrcawker Member Posts: 2
    Have 42,000 miles and have had numerous problems. Soleniod in transmission causing no upshift, very poor heat ( not hot enough) and little flow from dash air vents. First visit GM tells me normal, friend is a Grand Master tech for GM tells me their is a Dealer TSB on this issue as vent doors don't work properly -back I go and get vent fixed, bringing a copy of the TSB to my Dealer.....
    Lumbar support knob broke, hatchback strap broke (same style strap as the Montana I had replaced twice under warranty - you think they would figure it out?) I had as front wheel bearing did replacement one one side, 3k later get other side done, Now leaking intake gasket ( common problem) and speedometer going all over the place. Warranty is over now so the fight begins with GM. Have been a loyal GM purchaser for 25 years and my wife had a 97 Grand Prix, 60,000 miles transmission at $3,000.00, 80,000 miles same intake leak caused blown motor - thousands more. 2000 Montana intake leak. It is a known problem for GM with the 3.4 motors that intake leaks.

And to think I used to laugh at my friends that drove Honda's and Nissans for 200,000 miles with oil changes, one set of brakes and a timing belt. Time to switch over. With any luck GM reads these boards and realizes that many customers switching to other OEM's.

Toronto, Canada.

Suggest don't buy a Rendezvous or GM period. The Re
  • wagnerwagner Member Posts: 4
    Went to dealer one week ago to get a new instrument cluster as the odometer read "error." Already had a BCM installed under warranty because remotes on steering column wouldn't operate radio and traction kept going in and out. Was told that the wait is 1-2 weeks because they are having the instrument cluster rebuilt by the manufacturer. Also had a bearing replaced at about 40,000 but complained to GM and they picked up the $100 deductible for extended warranty. We like the car otherwise.
    Wagner in Wisconsin at EVS
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Hi Rcwaker:

I am too from Toronto - can you please provide me with the TSB about the poor heat - I've complained to the dealer and was told that it was normal or so did so many people on this site. Good luck with all your problems - I too have a lot of problems.
  • rcawkerrcawker Member Posts: 2
    The problem was that had very little air flow from dash vents or defroster. GM has a techcial service bulletin regarding this as there was a problem with the air box damper that controlled flow. They fixed this under warranty but as for heat this car is a joke. Very little heat and is not "HOT" like my other cars. This was never fixed proerly - same old story as you got is normal, another pile of BS

Regards
  • wagnerwagner Member Posts: 4
    How long should the original tires on the 2002 RDV CX last for safe driving? Miles have been almost all on freeway at reasonable speeds and conditions.
    Wagner in Wisconsin
    If you're on the original factory tires, I wouldn't expect them to last much - say 30,000 miles. A quick test is to put a penny with Lincoln's head facing into the tread. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head clearly, your tires need replacement.
    I have a 2002 RDZ CXL and it came with Uniroyal Tiger Paws Touring SR tires. They came with a 70,000 mile warranty (see link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warranty.jsp?make=Uniroyal&model=Tiger+Paw+Tour+SR) I have 38,000+ miles and I still have plenty of tread left. If you rotate your tires regularly and keep them properly inflated, your tires will last longer, imho.

What are people replacing these tires with?
    I don't think the tires are covered under the normal warranties provided by tire manufacturers. They are normally cheaper versions made specially for the OEM. Hopefully someone can confirm/correct this?
  • bflyerbflyer Member Posts: 3
    With 38,000 miles on my 02 I also have a leaking head gasket and need my rear wheel bearings replaced. I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car so the head gasket is covered and the dealership is covering the rear wheel bearings b/c the car has been making some weird noise when I turn since I bought it like 5,000 miles ago. However the dealership is making me pay $100 for the deductible that I dont think I should have to pay,not that its alot of money however the point that I purchased the extended warranty so I wouldnt have to pay $ when something like this happened. Do u think if I went through GM they would do anything to cover this money?
    I've never heard of a tire company making "cheaper versions" of tires. If it's a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring SR ... it's a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring SR ... no matter if you bought it at the tire store ... or on your Buick Rendezvous. If the model name/number is different, it is possible that the tires are different, but that's not the case here -- my tires are regular retail tires. As for the warranty on the tires, they are covered per the tire warranty you received with your owner's manual (usually, it's an additional insert specific to your brand of tire).
    I agree a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring SR model is a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring SR model no matter where you get them but the components that goes into making them can vary. But they are usually the economical tires that the tire manufacturer makes. An example of the difference is the Michelin LTX tires. In the past, the rubber compound was rated less than the newest ones today which last longer. There was nothing wrong with the old compound and they can continue using it if they choose. OEM's order tires according to their minimal specifications which the older material could meet. That's why in some cases, it's hard to find an exact original tire since those were manufactured only for the OEM and not available for retail sales.

As far as warranty goes, I don't recall getting a separate tire-specific warranty with any of the cars I've ever bought. In case of the RDV, tires are covered on the 3 years/36000 miles bumper -to-bumper warranty...very generic and not tire specific. This is according to the owners manual. Then it goes on to say any replacement tires will continue to be warrantied according to the REMAINING bumper-to-bumper coverage period. But if you look on TireRack.com, the same tire has a 70000 mile guarantee. Why the big difference? Why does the OEM not use the tire manufacturer's warranty since it'll be much more attractive to a customer?
  • eoleseoles Member Posts: 1
    This exact thing happened to me today. Now the security light is permanently on, radio is locked, windows and door locks disabled. Find a solution for this? My dealer said they'd have to reprogram my BCM or replace it. Is this what it will really take? I'm past my warranty, now that I'm up to 40k miles, and care not to pay up the wazoo if there's another way to fix this.
  • michaelv1michaelv1 Member Posts: 1
    I am also getting an "error" message on my 2002 Buick Rendezvous odometer. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to get this fixed.
    Also was it the instrument cluster causing this problem?

Thanks
    Mike
    It looks like GM has finally decided to help some of the problem plagued 2002-2003 RDV owners.If you have a problem 02-03 RDV hammer away at GM and make them help you.They owe you.They read these forums and dont like lots of bad publicity.I pulled the following 02 RDV owners quote off another Buick forum where I post at.Here it is:

wish I had found this site sooner. At least I know I'm not alone. I have probably had almost one of everything go wrong with my 2002 rendezvous and many of the same problems more than once. I was lucky though as I got GM to give me their Major Guard extended warranty for free. It covers me to over 80000 miles and 5 1/2 years from in service date. Crazy, though. I love my rendezvous and would probably buy one again.

I say good job GM.Deeds like this will give you lots of good publicity.
  • ckinnyckinny Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2002 RDV CXL and it is at the dealership right now for this exact problem. While driving the engine simply shut off. They have had it for over week and cannot fix the problem. Luckly while the mechanic had it out for a test drive it shut off on him and then would not start. They were bummed because it happened 10 minutes before quitting time. they now want me to come pick it up because the don't know why/can't fix/can't recreate the problem.

It has 29,600 miles and I have until Sept. for the 3 year warranty to be up and if I have to not drive it and fight with them until Sept I will.

I was told the Lemon Law here in NY the car has to be within 2 years and 24,000 miles.

I would love info on how you negotiate a "buy back".
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    There is a NHTSA item on stalling problem, as stated it applys to 2004 models, but who knows, may be applicable to others as well:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsearch.cfm

Put in item number pe04075

Ignition relay replacement at least seems to be fix
  • jwagjwag Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 02 RDV a year ago in Feb. I noticed a clicking sound and finally convinced the dealer to look in to it. After replacing the air compressor my SES light remained on. Took it back and mechanic discovered moisture in the wiring. It has now been about 6 weeks, the wiring has been totally replaced, got it home yesterday, 3 hours later the car would not start. Dealer came to tow it this morning and the car started up immediatly. Do not know that I will keep car as I am not sure I can depend on it. Unfortunatly, I like the bells and whistles that it has.
  • jwagjwag Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else seen such an extensive problem with the wiring? I was told by the Buick service department that I had a seal go bad on the underside of the car. Once moisture got in it created all kinds of corosion problems with the wiring. Once the wiring has been replaced, what are the chances I am going to have more problems? My dealer is offering to put me in something else for a good price, it is very tempting.
  • braxtonbraxton Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems with their rear air compressor? I have a 2003 CXL plus, and got it changed under Warranty 10 mo. ago. Now it's not working again and my warranty is now finished. Do parts that have been changed under warranty get additional warranty coverage (i.e. 1 year parts and service) regardless of the mileage?

The vehicle works great but this is a nice to have option that comes in handy from time to time.
  • scv0405scv0405 Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if this will help you, but I had a '02 Lesabre that did the same thing.For no apparent reason it started to simply shut off as I was driving down the road. Altho, I was able to pull over and it started again every time. Turns out there was some kind of elelctronic piece attached near the gas tank that just went bad and was causing the car to shut off. My mechanic fixed it, and it never happened again.

I've now owned a slightly used '02 rendezvous for about a year, and I LOVE IT! Unfortunately, as I was driving down the road the other day the "service vehicle soon" light came on. Of course the manual only says take it to the dealer. I found a site online that said it could be caused by a blown fuse, so I have to check that. Anyone feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
  • jbrinkerjbrinker Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem and I got an esitmate between 500-1000 dollars. Email me... I am wondering what yours was...

jbrinker@mn.rr.com
    getting the same thing... what did you pay to repair?

jbrinker@mn.rr.com
    thanks!
    Is this going to be a recall?
    I am getting an error accross my odometer and no mileage. What a drag...
    The dealer wants 500-1000 to repair it. Any body else in trouble?
    James B
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We prefer that this type of information be exchanged within the forum rather than in private emails. This way all of our members can benefit from the knowledge.

Thanks!
  • rgrizzzzrgrizzzz Member Posts: 2
    I just had a problem with my 2002 RDV. Once last Friday,and once Sunday, after driving about 150 miles, the dash went off and on several times while driving, showing the battery light and then the service engine soon message. After a minute the error went away. The car never shut off and drove fine. Monday and Tuesday the car was fine, but last evening, when I went to start the car, it had the same symptoms. I turned the car off and found someone to follow me home, just in case. When I restarted the car, the Service Engine soon light came on again, and then switched over to the Security message. The power locks, power windows, sunroof, radio and keyless entry are all now not working. Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

Later today I'm hooking it up to a friends diagnostic reader for the onboard computer.
    The one thing all of those may have in common is interaction with BCM I think
  • cw1028cw1028 Member Posts: 2
    I just had this exact same thing happened to me....I was right next to a dealership and pulled in. They are telling me I need to replace the BCM and Ingition Switch. Aprrox. Cost $550.00. I am going to GM Customer Service. This seems to be a major issue with 2002 RDVs. I'll let you know what I find out. I also, found this on a GM tech site...not sure if it is related

TIP: A microprocessor condition that affected early BCMs was corrected during the 2003 model year, beginning with p/n GMAN169 (Impala/Monte Carlo) and GMAN410C (Aztek/Rendezvous). Any BCM with a higher part number contains the microprocessor improvement. The Equinox, a newer vehicle, never had the earlier microprocessor.

Based on the history of these earlier control modules, technicians consider BCM replacement as the appropriate remedy for a number of customer concerns and vehicle conditions. However, with the improved microprocessor, this is not often the case. Analysis shows that almost 75% of BCMs replaced under warranty have no trouble found (NTF).

In cases where there was no trouble found with the returned BCM, the most common reasons for replacement were determined to be:
    - Wrong module replaced
    - Service procedure not followed
    - Wiring
    - System issue

The information provided here is not intended to replace the need for following established SI diagnostic procedures. But it will help you more thoroughly understand the relationship of the BCM to other vehicle systems.

In the following tables, you will learn which systems the BCM directly controls, the systems with which the BCM has an interaction, and the systems with which the BCM has no interaction. As you can see, these lists vary considerably between vehicle lines.
    - Thanks to Jeff Strong, Motorola
    'Analysis shows that almost 75% of BCMs replaced under warranty have no trouble found (NTF). ' I've long suspected that maight be the case, especialy when BCM's get replaced 2 or 3 times on the same vehicle. If it were happening to me, about the second time they wanted to replace it, I'd be asking questions.
    If you have or could find a link to the GM tech item, could you send it to me?