Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CHRYSLER MASERATI-What was it?

egkelly1egkelly1 Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Hi Shiftright:
I just saw a Chrysler-Maserati sedan-what is the tale behind this? I understand that Chrysler at one time owned a majority share in maserati-but wHAT WAS THIS HYBRID SUPPOSED TO BE? TO ME, IT LOOKED LIKE A dODGE SPIRIT (with a trident badge). What was this short-lived exercise in rebadging supposed to mean?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We're not sure to this day.

We think it was an attempt to cash in on the cache of the Maserati name, and also to put Chrysler in the luxury market. This car does have some Maserati influence...cylinder head, interior, but is way more Chrysler than Maserati and it showed immediately (PORTHOLES??!!!)

On top of its mediocre performance and obvious Chrysler heritage, it had a whopping price tag (no doubt to recoup flying the car back and forth between Detroit and Italy) and that of course put the last nail in the coffin.

Generally an ill-conceived project and a car that is doomed to back shelf collectibility in the under $10K market.
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    It looked a whole lot like a Chrysler LeBaron, which isn't surprising since that's what it was based on.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Didn't the Chrysler TC by Maserati (I believe that was its proper name) cost about double what a LeBaron 'vert would've cost new?

As for styling, I actually preferred the LeBaron. I think the '87-'92 LeBaron coupe/vert was the most beautiful K-car ever built, and I'm not trying to damn it with faint praise. Heck, the reliability of the '88 coupe we had was damnation enough.

That TC thing just didn't look right to me though. They took the sleek, flowing look of the LeBaron, but then squared it up. And I agree, those portholes were just gaudy! The only cars that have a right to wear portholes of any kind (IMHO) are T-birds, and Buicks!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    start out as the turbo Maserati headed motor and end up Mitsu V6's??? Truly an abortion!!!
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    And buy a LeBaron. You get the same car without all the extra fluff.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Almost all of them were automatics...

Only the 5-speed cars even had the Maserati-Designed Cylinder head.

Most often found on "Buy Here,Pay Here" used car lots these days...

Bill
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    ...go to the All-Chrysler Nationals in Carlilse, PA this weekend. I'm sure there will be a few for sale in the car corral. I know there will be a bunch of 'em out on the fun field, as well. In fact, I have a Mopar buddy whose wife bought one last year, and she'll probably have it there.

A couple weeks ago, at the All-GM Nationals, there was a ton of Allantes out there on the field...guess the Mopar crowd has to compete with the TC!
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Allante vs TC. Now there's a battle. Throw in the Reatta for good measure.
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    The Masi TC was supposed to come out before the LeBaron. There were so many delays and quality problems that Chrsyler said to hell with it and pushed the LeBaron.

The LeBaron turned out to be a winner. It is obvious what happened with the Masi TC.

In a way you can say the Masi TC was the inspiration for the LeBaron.
This discussion has been closed.