Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1968 Mustang California Special

maj0rmaj0rmaj0rmaj0r Member Posts: 2
i have a 1968 Mustang GT/CS. it has a 289 with an automatic transmission, power steering. the finish is in good shape but there are a few nicks in the paint. the engine runs great. i am thinking about selling it and wanted to get some opinions on how much this car might be worth.
Tagged:

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I hated them. I didn't like the fake scoops on the side or the C/S emblems etc...I lived in CA at the time and saw quite a few of these.

But, at a recent Ford meet I attended, there were a couple of these on display. Personally, I still don't care for them but it appeared that a lot of other people really did!

My guess is that they might bring perhaps 10% over what a regular '68 would but I could be wrong on this. Shifty?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    There's one that I see regularly here in Orlando...

I think they look nice myself =Þ

Seriously, My guess is probably in line with yours... Say it's a coupe with, say, a 390 4V in it... I'd guess that its' worth about 10% or so more than, say, a 390 GT Coupe. I think that assumes that the CS-only parts are all there and in nice shape.

With scarce cars like a GT/CS I think its' more of a "how much can you get for it" type of thing.
    Bill
  • maj0rmaj0rmaj0rmaj0r Member Posts: 2
    all of the parts are there and as far as i know they are all origional. it is in the GT/CS registry. those figures are pretty much what i was expecting. thanks for the help.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    I've always wondered what was special about the California Specials. Is it purely cosmetic or were there performance enhancements?
  • ndancendance Member Posts: 323
    Its purely cosmetic (I seem to remember a 'High Country Special also). Thunderbird taillights (these work via some sort of goofy sequential distributor thingie, right?), pop off gas cap, side scoops, some grill change or the other,some sort of rear spoiler arrangement, fog lights, etc.

If anything, there is no performance implication. I seem to have in my head that they aren't even necessarily a Mustang GT. I'll bet you could order a 6 cylinder/drum brake GT/CS.

To be fair, I don't think they are bad looking. Probably would be a cool car for some serious motor installation (a 390 to 427 swap for instance) while keeping the stock appearance.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    "Not infrequently a regional Dealer's Group will promote a "limited edition" of the product as a special event. One such was the 1968 promotion of the Mustang GT/CS by the Southern California Ford Dealers.

The "California Special" was a standard 1968 Mustang Hardtop specially outfitted with several dress-up trim items. Among these were a blackout grill, rectangular fog lights, the functional louvered hood, special striping effects, side air scoops, wide tail lights, rear deck lid with built-in spoiler, and a pop-open gas cap.

The GT/CS promotion was limited to under 5000 units. Among its most distictive features may well have been its name since other than trim items, the car had no special handling or engine modifications."
    I think it was in like.. hmm... 69 or so they had a "Twister Special" with a small stylized Tornado on the 1/4 panels...

I think they were mainly sold in the Kansas City MO/KS market and in parts of eastern KS..

I THINK that they were based on Mach 1s. But I dont know mustangs all that well. IIRC, there was also a similar model done with the Torino.

Bill
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    There were also High Country Specials sold in Colorado.

"Twister Specials" in tornado country? That's like having Loma Prieta Earthquake Specials for the SF Bay Area.
    Hmmm...

The Southern California Ford Dealers Association proudly presents:

"The Shaker Special!!"

heheheheheheh....

Insomnia is a baaad thing...

Bill
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    You made my wife laugh but at what cost? You're too young and rich to have insomnia.

How far can we take this? Hurricane Donna Specials for south Florida?

No, I'll leave quietly...
  • crossedrealitycrossedreality Member Posts: 72
    My grand old state is ripe for a 'Sherman Special'
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No doubt with flames on the fenders!
    the 'Custer Killer'?
    Or the Very Limited Edition Yellow Hair?
    Speed... nah... I work insane hours... Gets to ya.

Atleast I can work on 5hrs a night...

Bill
    The Mustang Blue Light Special....

Often seen cruising into Burger King drivethroughs complete with overweight, smoking, mid-20 year old female driver/passenger and a shirtless pre-adolescent standing up in the back seat.
    The Wal-Mart 30th Anniversary Special?
    The Martha Stewart Decorator Edition?
    A 4 cyl, convert, for blue haired ladies who can play 18 Bingo cards, but can't punch correctly just one ballot.
    Yup

And only seen clogging the passing lane at 50mph causing an 11 car tailback onthe FL turnpike.

Bill
  • sandyboysandyboy Member Posts: 114
    There was a Lone-Star Special in Central Texas round about the same time frame....1967-1969.
    get yourself one of those Mexican Shelby Mustangs (1971) and start up an Obscure Mustang Museum. (Maybe use a Twister Mustang for the logo).
This discussion has been closed.