Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra GS, GSX (hatchbacks)

csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
edited March 2014 in Kia
OK, I know there was a Kia Spectra thread in the sedan section but it always bugged me that it was in the wrong place, the Spectra is a hatch after all. Besides, it's now archived and no one's posted since April.

I'm about to buy an Elantra GT, but will probably wait until after the Focus ZX5 hits. I drove a Spectra and it seemed crude to me, but since I'm actively looking at five door hatches, I would like to get some experience from owners.

The last threads had several posters who glowed expectedly about the new Spectra Wing, but to me it looked like a mild mid-course restyle. Am I missing something here?

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    You're correct. The Kia Spectra certainly deserves a spot on this message board!

Please note: I have linked the Kia new car information to the Additional Resources on the left side of this page. Look out for other related articles and discussion in that area. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Looks to me like there's very little interest in this car, especially compared to the Elantra GT. It would be great if Kia would bring in an Elantra variant (as in the Optima) to replace this beast and forget about the Wing variant, or (happy Spectra drivers) do I have this all wrong??? Of course, it might be a problem if the entire Kia lineup became Hyundais with chrome grills, ala Dodge and Plymouth.
    Let's give this discussion a little time. There are a lot of happy Kia Spectra owners out there. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

you should check out Edmunds' new Incentives & Rebates information. Currently there is customer cash incentives up to $1500 throughout different parts of the USA. Subtract that from it's already very low price, and it's a pretty good deal! Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • babe1956babe1956 Member Posts: 4
    I was searching for something different, sporty looking, inexpensive with a darn good warranty and there I found the Kia 2001 Spectra GSX Hatchback. Actually, you wouldn't know that its a hatchback unless you lift up the trunk. O.K., so I've only had it a week but so far for the money, I have a really good bargain. The GSX model comes with the pin striping, spoiler, leather covered steering wheel and shifter as well as the mag wheels, power windows and automatic locks. I opted for black. Although its harder to keep clean, it looks really great. I took it home, gave it a good and proper waxing and scotchguarded the seats. Just to add something a little extra, I had them put in the CD player. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. If anyone has the Kia Spectra GSX and has any info on, I would love to hear from you.
    Welcome to this discussion! While you're waiting for more feedback in this discussion, here's a direct link to our old (archived) Kia Spectra discussion, where you might find some interesting comments.

Btw, you're correct: it is hard to tell that the Spectra is a hatchback, judging by the lines. Probably the reason, this discussion was previously on our Sedan's board. Also, I'm curious, how did you come to choose the Spectra over other makes/models....? Were there other models you also considered in your shopping process? I'm sure other shoppers, stopping by here, may also be interested in this....

In addition, we look forward to hearing more about your Spectra ownership experience. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    I was originally looking for a two door sporty car. I just felt like something jazzy. However, the insureance for both myself and my 93 Saturn that my daughter drives was way too costly with a two door sporty model. Therefore, when I contacted my insurance and asked what to look for without killing my pocket book, the Kia was one of them. The minute I walked on the lot, this black GSX model just called my name. The sporty looks, 4 door model, low price and great warranty was all it took. The rest, as they say is history. Prior to this I was looking at the Fords and the Hyundai Tiburon. Wayyyyyyyy too high.
    Correction on my last post. I believe that the Spectra GSX Model has Alloy wheels and not Mag wheels.
  • honushonus Member Posts: 17
    I am an ardent fan and advocate of hatchbacks - especially the five-door variety - which is why the Spectra may be a suitable replacement for my beloved '89 Dodge Colt (whenever it breaks down). Since my car is still going strong, I have had no need to test drive the Spectra, but I did take the time to inspect its cargo capacity with the seats folded down - very impressive! I never expected that much room and for the seats to lie at a relatively flat angle. This is crucial to me as I routinely cart around two large dogs (weimaraners). My Colt is unbelievably practical in this capacity, and I have always been disappointed that the new hatchbacks aren't nearly as roomy (and if they are, they sure charge you for it and get less MPG)as the hatchbacks of old. The Spectra, on the other hand, looks very utilitarian, though its fuel economy is not comparable to the old '80s hatchbacks. I just wonder if it will be as reliable as the Colt. No doubt, it will be more powerful.
  • cecile_dazececile_daze Member Posts: 7
    Hi-

Wondering what anyone thinks of these hatch backs. New, used, or what have you. To tell you the truth I have been researching vehicles now for... probably the better half of 3 months and keep changing my mind about what I want. (for instance I was just looking at a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire last weekend) but I started out "lusting" for a Kia Lanos Sport. I've ranged from Jeep Wrangler to Kia Rio to Mitsub. Eclipse to Saturn and I just can't seem to settle.

Now I'm steering back toward a Spectra or a Lanos. Who knows what I'll end up choosing. I keep telling myself to ditch my 1990 pick up before Winter hits...but money is tight. So while I keep searching, I must find more insight and answers.

sorry for the long post. I'm just a frustrated pick up owner wanting to pick a winner next.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    If you want a Korean hatchback, consider Hyundai. You could consider the Accent hatchback a competitor of the Lanos and the Elantra hatchback a competitor of the Spectra.

I, too, had the Spectra on my list but then I looked at the Elantra GT hatchback. The Spectra was okay, but it seemed crude by comparison to the Elantra. I picked up my GT for $14,500 with an automatic and the car is pretty loaded. The Accent is even less expensive. I am still considering the Spectra as a possible second car.

Another small durable car with plenty of room is the Toyota Echo (also on my second car list). If you are judicious with the options sheet, the Echo can be a great buy.

Check the other vehicle forums and see what owners are saying about the cars. Good luck with your purchase.
    Thanks, I will look into that one as well. How has yours held up since you purchased it? Any complaints?

Any idea how it handles in the snowy environment? How is the weight in the snow. I know my pick up is very light and though it is rear wheel drive, it is still all over the road and I worry about the weight.

I know any car can be an asset or danger in the snow depending on conditions and speed, but I was just wondering your thoughts on snow.

Thanks! :)
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    I just bought the GT in June, and so far it has held up well. I've had no mechanical trouble and I have not had to return to the dealer for anything except to pick up my license plates. The car did have a minor front wheel shimmy when I brought it home but it disappeared after 400 miles. The car gives me nothing to complain about. It performs admirably as my daily 50-mile commuter car -- it is roomy, handles well and is reasonably powerful (for a 4-cylinder motor).

No idea how the GT will perform in the snow. I live in NJ so I guess I'll find out in about four months. The car has pretty good tires (Michelin MVX4) so that's a plus. Our other car is a RWD Mustang, so I'm guessing the Elantra will see most of the duty this winter.

I saw a sea-green Spectra GSX yesterday which was kind of cool. But I don't know why Kia insists on slapping the ugly pinstripe on the side of the GSX model. The down-market GS looks cleaner.

If you are set on buying a Kia, I believe a 5-door version of the Rio will be available soon. I had forgotten about the wagon but I saw one at the NYC auto show last April and was fairly impressed with it. You might want to investigate that model as an alternative to the Spectra.
    Thanks.

I test drove the regualar version of the Rio and there was something about that model I didn't like, but when they come out with the new one I will have to take that one out for a spin.

Good luck in the snow. Hope all goes well for you and your family :)
  • mateyomateyo Member Posts: 22
    I saw one today -- a regular-trunk version of the Spectra. Does anyone know about this? The one I saw was in Houston, but with Florida plates. It has a completely different rear end, but with the "Spectra" name clearly spelled out on the trunk lid.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Wouldn't that be a Sephia? Did they slap the wrong badging on it? I remember seeing Chrysler products that were Dodges on one end and Plymouths on the other.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    it seems Kia has dropped the Sephia sedan and renamed it as a Spectra. I saw three today, and one of them is parked in my parking lot so I got a closer look. Not much changed, the font on the gauge faces, the chrome trim on the grille, the reflectors on the headlights. No more amber turn signals in back though...shame shame...
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Kia Spectra hatchback thread I started and just go with this one. Evidently Kia is going to call the 2002 Kia Spectra hatchback Spectra Wing. This is according to bluewinds. I have found his postings to be accurate as he is Korean and a Kia enthusiast as well. Try this link here to see the 2002 Kia Spectra Wing.

http://www.kia.co.kr/cybermall/car/spectrawing/main.htm

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• alfisti1alfisti1 Member Posts: 3
    I am happy to report that I have just crossed the 20,000-mile mark on my Spectra, and I couldn't be more pleased with the car. It has far exceeded my expectations and I would definitely purchase another Kia. The brakes make a little noise but are holding up well. The trunk release is still sticky at times. Other than that, I have no complaints. It runs well, handles well, gets 34 mpg on the highway and looks good doing it.

I recently saw a review in Consumer Reports. Their article is so negative that it is absolutely ludicrous. Kia Motors should haul them into court for slander. At to top it off, they base their criticisms on a '99 model they tested. Kia owners should flood their offices with mail and tell them off.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and glad to hear you're still happy with your Kia Spectra. Can't beat those mpg! We look forward to hearing more.... Happy Motoring. ;-)

Revka
    (formerly pocahontas)
    Host
  • kookooloolookookoolooloo Member Posts: 3
    Why isnt this discussion listed there?
    Good idea! I'll put in the request. ;-)

Revka

Host

• claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    They really HATE Kia. I remember how they used to describe the Sephia as "if there is a worse car on the market, we certainly don't know what it is." Now that its the Spectra Sedan, it got that distinction in this year's New Car Preview--see page 82. They have not tested one themselves since 1999 and it is just ridiculous. I bought a Sephia in August, 1995 and it has been fine. Sure it's a little beat up cosmetically, but it has only spent 2 days in the shop since I've had it. I'd say that's not so bad!
    one large waste of time. To them it's gotta be a Dodge Viper or a Toyota Celica or a Chevy Tahoe(or all kinds of other standard middle of the road kinds of cars)or it's not a real car. My two Kia's have led me to believe that Kia's not only building their cars right but their Global Plan is right on target as well. That would be to be in the top 5 automakers worldwide by 2010. I'm thinkin' they'll make it dudes...umm...dudettes...if they ever post here. Where's eneth?

• beingmarcbeingmarc Member Posts: 6
    I bought an '01 Spectra about 8 months ago. For the first 2 months I was VERY happy with the car. Compaired to the boring boring boring boring...(did I mention boring?) Civic that I'd been driving since high school the Spectra was a welcome change. I Like how the car looks. It has a certain je nes c'est pas that makes it stand out in my parking lot. After about 5 months though it had completely lost that new car feel to it. The horn died, it ratteled all over, and started to make a VERY bad sound when it braked. I had the dealer fix the brakes and the horn and I was happy again. Two weeks later the horn was dead...AGAIN! I was kinda fed up at that point so I decided to give the car to my girlfriends little brother. I went and blew my savings on an '02 WRX Wagon. I love this car and I'm pretty sure that I'll be a Subaru owner for life.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Kia is a cool little company. You get a car just as good as most of the Japanese econs but at a fraction of the price. Kia's gonna have to put a lot more into those cars though before they are taken seriously. If you can't afford the over-priced Civic or have too much pride for a Saturn (I feel dirty just saying Saturn) Kia is a great option. Or, blow your savings and get a turbo charged, AWD, fun mobile!!

Marc
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    For anyone interested, the Kia web site (kia.com) is updated for 2002. Check it out!
    Hi claywaterfill-Thanks for the information.

Btw, you'll also find 2002 Spectra information in Edmunds' New Vehicle Guide. For your convenience, you'll find a direct link in the Additional Resources box on the left side of the page. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • 02_spectra_r02_spectra_r Member Posts: 19
    When I had my GSX I was feeling as if I was in a Toyota Supra or Acura NSX-T. But
    that didn't last very long. You see one night coming from out of tow I was driving my
    two-week old Spectra downa curvy-winding-twisted dark road. I soon as I saw the
    regulation sign I slowed the vehicle from 60 mph, it was fine when I went into the curve,
    but when i came out of it i accelarated and the next thing I knew was, the rear of the Spec
    felt Floaty almost like a Cadillac. The car started to go side to side, and since I didn’t
    have ABS (Anti-loc braking system) so I pumped the brakes but it was to late. I hit a
    ditch and the seat belt tighten, there was a flash of light when air-bag came out and a
    burning igniting smell, but had know knowledge of the air-bag deploying. When I hit the
    second time I so the passenger air-bag deployed, and what happed next was my-self
    comming to or waking up and turning the ignition off. I couldn’t open the door, then I
    thought why not the window it went down, I grab my cell and keys (which came right out
    of the ignition), and climbed out of the car. I couldn’t breath, I was triying to get air and
    fell to my knees when a young guy near my age helped me. You should of seen the car it
    was a total loss, the real of the car held up, but wheel and the were both in the back bent
    and broke. but the weird thing out about my accident was I woke up to the car in park and
    already off, the front was in no harm condition, and the rear of the car was intact except
    for the rear left tail-light. The backglass did not shatter or crack. Luckly when I struck the
    ditch from the side on the second hit the roll bar protected the car, (yes a roll bar). Well
    anyway im trying to get another 02’ Kia Spectra GSX but with only ABS, and plan to
    treat this one with dignaty. Oh don’t worry minor injuries, but I still want my next kia to
    be an import winner, because I think its time that we as a club should enter Kia in Import
    tours and tornorments (besides honda, acura, toyota, mitsubitshi, nissan, and focus’s etc).
    to our Kia Owners' Club, where you'll find direct access to many other Kia discussions throughout Town Hall! While you're there, please take a moment to introduce yourselves in our Kia Owners: Meet the Members discussion. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Whoa! Talk about action! I forget-was the pavement wet? Spose I could scroll back up there but my point is is that you've gotta really like the '02 Spectra to want another one. Is this the hatchback, the GSX? I took my '99 Sephia to my dealer with the intention of test driving the '02 Spectra's. My wife took a liking to the '01 Sportages so we went home with a Sporty. We love it! Sounds like you ran your Spectra too hard and fast man! One more point in reply to your post-yes, more Kia vehicles need to be fitted in the aftermarket arena or fitted-up against the rest of the Asian onslaught in different ways. Same old pics of Honda's and Acura's and Toyota's ad naseum. Bleh! Kiasize me!

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    About your suggestion that Kia take Consumer Reports to court for slander. Just an FYI, but the word you meant is libel. Remember that slander is spoken while libel is written.

For what it is worth, I think it all right that Consumer Reports is printing a review of a 1999 vehicle. It is not like they have singled out the Kia for that. There are a number of other reviews for 1999 models and they don't hide this fact.

Where I disagree with them is their taking the review of the 1999 Sephia and "updating" it to be a review of the Spectra by substituting the word Spectra for Sephia.

This is all they did and I find it to be wrong.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    What no words to the person who got rid of their Spectra after about eight months of ownership because of all the problems they had. Kind of blows a hole in your theory that all Kias are great because yours have been.

And regarding Consumer Reports, you should have chosen some other cars to make the claim that they are not very judgemental. Of the three you mention by name, only the Celica is recommended by Consumer Reports. And I have never seen a review of the Dodge Viper by Consumer Reports for that matter.
    on Clodsumer Retorts very clear. They're bought off and I don't trust them. They're dishonest and they smell of big, rotten, unclean money. They are the last mag I'd pick up to get info. on a car I'm interested in. They're a joke. Whatever you meant by your reply to the comment I made a while back is going to have to be re-hashed by the major. This seems to happen often, Echo-boy. I have no idea what you meant by your above retort. Consumer Retorts? About that guy's Spectra problems-big whoop. All car makers produce lemons. He's probably a Honda Sticker Boy who doesn't treat quality cars right(doesn't know how to begin to). There's a learned maintenance treatment and also a desire to generally treat a vehicle right that's sadly lacking amongst American consumers. A lot of the crap we read about in these threads was TOTALLY avoidable. A bit more slowing down and using one's brain wouldn't hurt, either, eh?

Thats what you guys seem to think it is. I'm not a "Honda Sticker Boy" in any sense of the phrase. I've never owned a Honda and I have no stickers on my Suby. Please, tell me how my driving had a negative effect on the car's horn. While you're at it, tell me how my driving turned the car from the Korean Uber-car that you speak of into the POS that I drove off of the lot. Face it, Kia isn't a GREAT car! Hell, it's barely an acceptable car! They're under powered, cheaply made, and UGLY! THAT, my friends, is why you can afford them. They're made for people who want a NEW car but can't afford a good one. Thats fine with me. Just stop pretending that Kia is some little secret that only a chosen few experiance. I'd take a stickered-out honda over that POS Kia I had any day.
    however, let's please keep it friendly and be careful about the language used in the messages here. Please refer to member conduct section our Town Hall Membership Agreement for further clarification. Thanks! And now back to the subject of the Kia Spectra.

Revka
    Host
    I meant to heck...and lets replace POS with "Poorly made car" PMC :)
    I just got my 2nd kia spectra gsx hatchback, back, i'm loving it. i plan to fix it up as soon as i get enough money, but take my driving a lot more serious to realize the limits of the spectra, but it does remind me of my 2000 sportage that i trade in for the 2002 spectra gsx, it was the top of the line ex, but for 2003 i plan to get the new Kia sportage EXL with the
    V-6, the works.........Oh yah by the way my second one dosen't have abs either, i looked all over but for the first few production run of the new spectra redisign, but abs could be special orded, and i didn't have time to order it because of my insuran, and kia's special promotions, got it late november.....But had one problem the second week before i got out for the holidays, my transmission started slipping, and man was i mad! It stayed in the shop for a week and few days, and i didn't even get a Loner, like Hyundai, and Daewoo, but im not nokin that, as long as i can keep it out of the shop, But im waiting on the dealer to get back with me to tell me about how/why it slipped up. And if it was like that from the manufacture or bug, im trading it again and im trying to go back with another kia sportage EX with leather abs, 4x4. but plan to also hold out until the new one....but any way i do miss my first Spectra GSX, becase i didn't have so many probs. with it, and a few minor probs i didn't mention like the rear hatch dosen't open when its cold, the back lit beige lights are hard to see at night i wish they were blue/purpple/or red, like a true sports car, and for today my right front hub cap cover is loose, and spins when i accel and deccel. but i do give the 2002 kia spectra its props, it does got excelent breaks, which on dry surfaces slow the car down fast like abs wihtout lock of a single whel, and its easy to manage the pumping action because you can feel the wheel or wheels, which slip all because of kia's merge with lotus to tune the suspension and other componets, mixed with the new lotus elise........That is all for now be sure to reply for more up dates as ill be your betta tester for the new and improve 2002 kia spectra gsx, oh ya the radio/cd has execellent bass, and tune/surround sound like.

Thanks for reading and keeping me updated in the know.....koren_car_performance@yahoo.com
    I WAS TOLD BY KIA HEADQUARTERS THAT THEY MAKE THERE CARS AT AFORDABLE PRICES BUT CAN COMPETE AGAINST MANUFACTURES LIKE: BMW, MERCEDES, ACURA, LEXUS, SAAB, AUDI, CADDILAC, MAZDA MILLENIA, ETC. TAKE THE SEDONA, OPTIMA, SPORTAGE, SPECTRA, RIO/RIO CINCO, FOR INSTANCE YOU GET STANDARD FEATURES THAT YOU WOULDN'T FIND ON MORE EXSPENSIVE IMPORT, AND LESS EXPENSIVE DOMESTICS..AND THE, ENGINES PROVIDE DECCENT IF NOT EXCELLENT ACCELERATION, AND IF NOT ACCELERATION FOR YOU LIKE FOR ME THE 4-CYLINDER (I-4) WITH THE AIR CONDITIONING ON, (WHICH DOES DE-POWER THE CARS PERFORMANCE) BUT CAN EASILY FIXED WITH A NON-VOIDABLE AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE UPGRADE. OR AT LEAST SOMETHING THAT CAN BE ADDED AND TAKEN OFF. BUT DON'T FOR GET SOME DEALERS ARE NICE ENOUGH TO OFFER TO ADD A SUPPER/TURBO CHARGER, TO YOU KIA, IF APPICABLE, AND THEY WILL MAKE SURE IT DOSEN'T VOID THE WARRANTY....
    And thanks for sharing all the details. We look forward to your updates. Btw, if you have a chance, please stop by our Kia Owners Club and introduce yourself in our Meet The Members discussion. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Spectra review! I went to the owner's club and took a look at the 2002 Spectra hatchback in concept. Looks good to me! I have a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 that I love! I traded my '99 Sephia in for it in September. I just passed 8,000 miles in my Sporty and the only problem is at the 5,000 mile mark my check engine light stuck on. Took it to my dealer and they found a tiny emissions leak in the engine. They replaced a few "caps" somewhere in there and took off the gas cap and made sure it clicked enough times. I'm familiar with the gas caps in Kia's-that you have to tighten them until it clicks a few times so that wasn't my problem. It was this tiny leak they found and patched up. The fix + a car wash took them about 50 minutes and I was out on the road again. 02 spectra r-did you dig the ride and handling in your Sportage? I'm impressed by the ease of steering(speed-sensitive power steering), ease of parking, decent acceleration, good handling and quiet cabin during higher accelerations. My Sportage is a 5-speed in Pepper Red. It didn't come with a radio so I had a Kenwood AM/FM cassette stereo put in that is great. 6-speaker sound if you include the tweeters on the top dash corners(pretty slick-they do add a nice high pitch treble mix in there!). Post back with Spectra updates! Kia rocks!

I miss my kia sportage ex, but do pland to get my new kia sportage top of the line with V-6 and 4x4 in fall of 2002 as a 2003 model, at the same time the launch of the all new hyundai tiburon V-6 coupe i will get some pics soon for my site but i have to e-mail u my site, if that is alright......... my e-mail address is koren_car_perforance@yahoo.com by the way im glad you like my ideas because im trying to become a car designer enginer, or to spice up bland or not that exciting cars, i can do any car in a picture to get idease.........
  • alfisti1alfisti1 Member Posts: 3
    02 spectra r, you mentioned that a performance upgrade was available for the Spectra? I would love it since I sometimes have trouble passing on the highway. It definitely could use a "jolt". What companies offer this, and what's the ballpark price for a turbo kit? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
  • mp5freakmp5freak Member Posts: 51
    Since I don't own a Sephia (or Spectra or whatever they call it now) I won't say much about the car. I'm sure its a perfect car for someone who just needs some basic transportation for minimal cost. I totally accept that argument - but don't try to compare the car to a BMW or talk about its great acceleration. The car isn't supposed to compete with a BMW, and its doesn't sell due to its 0-60 mph pace...

As for Consumer Reports. Geez - the magazine isn't perfect, but now you're saying it's corrupt? What magazine would you suggest people read for info (other than Edmunds online of course).... Car & Driver? Road & Track? I doubt either of those mags would touch the Spectra. And just FYI, where do those mags get the cars that they test? They're loaned out by the manufacturer - who makes sure they don't get a lemon. Where does Consumer Reports get their cars? They buy them straight from a dealer without revealing that they're from CR. Now if you're saying that's not the case, you're talking about a major conspiracy theory here... CR prides themselves on unbias (or maybe very low bias) testing. To say that they violate the very foundation on which the magazine exists is a pretty big accusation that needs some type of proof to back that up. Now I'm not saying that I always agree with their findings (the boring Civic is the top ranked economy car? come on...) but I don't doubt their intent.

Finally, I have to ask about the desire for performance parts. Why spend $500 - $1500 on something that MIGHT improve your HP by 5% when you could have bought an Elantra GT or Protege5 (which have a lot more HP in their stock form) for only a little more? Not only would you get more HP, but you would get a generally more reliable car with more features and IMO better styling?

I don't mean to trash the Spectra. I think its a decent car for the price that has its market segment. I just get baffled when people claim that certain cars are something they aren't. I hear some people claim that their Protege5 (what I own) beat a Corvette off a stoplight and other stupid stuff like that. Get real.
    in and expect us to instantly respect their views on how Mazda's Protege is built with such great materials with so much better acceleration, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah, ad naseum on and on. Fact is Kia's Spectra has Mazda's Protege beat on looks and parts-wise there's such a little difference it's not worth them swooping in and tooting their horns with this "HUGE INTELLECTUAL ANNOUNCEMENT THAT MAZDA IS ROYALTY OR SOMETHING REALLY DUMB LIKE THAT. Kia is on the right track. Watch their sales soar along with Hyundai.

You seem a bit defensive... a sure sign that you're trying to justify your purchase by attacking others. I'm not attacking the Spectra, or Kia itself. I hope they do start making some great cars, because the more competition the better.

But telling me that the Spectra's styling is better than the Protege....well that's your opinion. I'm not sure anyone outside of this board would agree, but to each his own. But you don't see me claiming that my Pro5 is a better (or more attractive) car than a BMW 323, cause it isn't.

Kia's sales will likely soar - I expect that. Nissan, Mazda, and even Chrysler and Ford have taken their "low-end" models and moved them up into a higher price bracket. The world needs a few companies who can fill the "low cost" segment again. Not everyone is willing (or has the money) to buy a $18K Neon.

As for the quote in capital letters....where did that come from? Did I say something like that? Hmm....nope, don't think I did.
    It's okay to take issue with someone's statement, but our Town Hall agreement requires that this be done with civil and friendly debate. Okay? I think one good way of keeping things civil would be to focus on the subject of the Kia Spectra instead making each other the subject of discussion.

In other words, let's hear what you think about the Kia Spectra as opposed to what you think about participants that have a different point of view. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    I came here to see whether the Spectra was better than the reviews that I've been reading, as I'm hoping that Kia can become a force in the low-end segment. I think most or all of my previous comments demonstrate that.

Happy motoring!
    Up grades at sharkracing.com
    Jacksonracing.com
    streetkiaz.com
    kiatuner.com

and if your recall that when kia first introduded the spectra hatch back here in the states they asked jackson racing to modify it, so it could give kia owners some ideas about how they can create and have a differnt personailty with there cars. The Spectra Type-K's were in 3 Different colors, with 17 wheels and performance upgrades all around.
    Sorry but plan to trade my kia spectra gsx in, because I miss my sportage so much, Planing to buy the All new Kia Sorento, for more info visit kia.com
    good looker isn't it? I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 and I'm really enjoying it. Word has it that Kia is working on a Sportage re-design for the 2003 model year. That might include a 6-cyl.engine in it-at least as an option to the 4-cyl. The Sorento is going to be available with an electronically-controlled 4-speed automatic transmission only. Is that OK with you or would you rather have a manual transmission?

This discussion has been closed.