Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra GS, GSX (hatchbacks)

2»

Comments

• 02_spectra_r02_spectra_r Member Posts: 19
    Yeah but i would prefer the 4 speed shiftronic or the 5-speed automatic, with snow or hold modes. And the v-6 will be a 3.5 liter lifted right out of the sedona and hyundai xg350. but might not trade my car. still my wait and get the sorento as a second vehicle...
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    two Kia's would always be better than one! I want to know if this Sportage redesign for '03 is engine-tranny related only or body design as well. I've only got 13,300 miles on my '01 Sporty so I'm not trading in anything for a while anyway!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Its on its own brand new truck on body frame
    that Kia will do a body design tweak on it. Not that I dislike the current Sportage body design. I love it. It's just that Kia along with Daewoo and Hyundai are the most interesting body designers going right now IMHO. I can't wait to see what they come up with. A 6-cyl. engine is probably coming for it, too.

• caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    who owns the highest mileage kia on this board?
    First the sorento suv will be mated to a standard 3.5liter V-6 barrowed from the hyundai XG350 and the Kia sedona Van. Second i might be leaving the specta to get a 2002 kia optima se I-4cylinder, a 2002 suzuki vitara, or the all new 2002-2003 Suzuki Aerio GS/SX Sedan and wagon. the reason why is because my transimisson slipped again, but this time the drive gear (D) for automatics, Turned into a Neutral gear intsead of a electronically automatically sequentaly shifted transmission. Last time Kia didn't offer me a loner, but this time surprisingly they did. It's a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 standard V6-4WD (four-wheel-drive). Beleive me for a truck like this with the extend wheel base it gives a smooth infinty car like ride, and does not roll in corners like my sportage. But I Know the sorento will be vastly improved from my 2000 Sportage EX. But back to my spectra, im not knocking it but at 840 miles on a vehicel the tranmission shouldn't slip, and now at 6172miles the transmission should not slip if they re-orderd it strait from kia of korea. If any one has any problems with there kia spectra of any year from introduction 2000 modle year to 2002+, let me know. So ill know its not just my car that could be a lemon. But don't get me wrong i love my spectra, and wish for a little more power with it's sporty V-6 Sound. More to come in the future.
    Im sorry I forgot to report to you iluvmysephia1, about the kia spotage. When I had my Sportage it road very well soaking up bumps and tackleing off-road terrians. The power was adequet with my Automatic 4x2. My modle was the EX-Which was fully equiped except for leather seats, limited slip differentional, towing patching, sunroof, keyless entry remote, fog lights, 16" wheels, recling rear seats, floor mats, rear cargo cover, and good sounding speakers as my spectra. I bought it used, to start out with as a first time buyer and, have been a kia owner ever since, so far ive had 3 kia vehicles with in 4months, and plan to buy a kia optima if the Kia Sorento cost a little too much for my budget, but will get when i get ready to go to college with a good paying job/carre with benifits. Write back if you feel, to talk more about the sportage. Thanks for takeing your time to read my review, God Bless. Kia Darn Good Cars!!!!!!!
    to get back to me. I am on my 2nd Kia now-a 2001 Kia Sportage with 5-speed tranny. It's a solid SUV and loves to go off-road. It hops the bumps with ease and begs for more. I have had one small problem thats now fixed. My check engine light came on twice. The dealer put a new gas cap on and that fixed it. I am really impressed with the quiet cabin during cruising in this cute little mini-ute as well. I've only had the Sportage for 6 months and am looking forward to many years of enjoyable driving in it before trade in on something new. I may get a new Sportage but I'd like to run this one 150,000 miles (or more). I'm coming right up on 15,000 miles and will need a service visit for fluid changes on one of the next couple of weekends. Somebody at the factory I work at bought an '02 Spectra sedan(silver). Sure looks good with those 2 semi-circles in each headlight. Looks really sharp. The Optima would be a great choice. I test drove one the day I bought my Sportage and was impressed. It's on my potential "buy list" for sure. Write back with news if you have it. Take care, 02spectra.

question...when you service your kia,do you use synthetic oil or just normal oil.im trying to figure out if the kia warranty lets you use it or not.thanks
  • alfisti1alfisti1 Member Posts: 3
    Just got back from a nice vacation to Florida in my Spectra. Put on approx. 3,000 miles. No problems at all. Driving south on I-95, did 75-80 mph in the Carolinas, handled confidently, even in rain. Car averaged 29.8 mpg. Driving home northbound, took my time and drove 60-65 mph, and the car got an amazing 36.6 mpg! Never expected that, considering EPA says 29 on the hwy. Only had to change the wiper blades. It now has 29,000 miles and I can tell it needs brake pads. Remember, you folks with 5-speeds, be sure to downshift often to save those brakes. Of course, since the 2000 model year the brakes have reportedly been improved. I hope so because I'm planning on buying another Kia in '03.

For the record, I use a full synthetic motor oil. Was using Castrol Syntec, but it was hard to find 5W-30, so now I use Exxon Superflo.
    but many at the Sportage website I go to have switched and recommend doing synthetic oils. I'll be calling to schedule the 15,000 mile appt. for the Sportage soon(maybe today) so I'll let you know what I go with. Evidently the Sportage needs front and rear differential fluids, transfer case oil and manual tranny fluid replaced at 15,000 miles plus it's due for another oil change now. So I'll call and get an appointment to get it all done at once(looking at next Saturday to probably get it in). I'm thinking synthetic is what I'll go with. I've never heard that Kia has had a problem with honoring the warranty with those who switch. Worth calling them about probably. alfist1-'03 might be a good year to buy a new 2003 Kia Spectra hatchback or sedan. I haven't heard reliability feedback much from owners but I would be real sure Kia's straightened out the brake problems that they had with the Sephia model. My Sephia's brakes lasted till 64,000 miles but the rotors were shot by then, too. I didn't have a problem with that but some had their brakes go earlier. I think the way in which they're used has something to do with that, too. Good tip on the downshifting to save brake wear a bit. I try to do that with my '01 Sportage as I have a 5-speed. My point about the '03 Spectra's is that it will be the 2nd model year for the newly-designed Spectra's and any initial flaws should be worked out by '03. I think I'll call the dealer this AM and schedule the fluid change appt. for next Sat.AM. I trust my dealer to do the job right but the closer shop I was thinking of calling, even though ASAE-certified, might miss something because of not being familiar with Kia's Sportage like the dealer would be. I'm real happy with the service dept.'s work at my dealer so far. I'll let you know, caesar.

yeah i was asking around about the synthetic oils because i think my next new car will have synthetic in it.and about those spectras,i think the hatch backs are awesome.my girlfriend likes sedans,but i figure i can fit more into a hatch.its cool you have a good dealership to work with.everytime i have my tracer worked on it comes back with more problems.i think i will be looking at those spectras sooner than i though because my tracer has all of a sudden developed an engine knock.when i drive down the street all you can hear is ..knock knock knock.anyways i want a black spectra hatch back with the 5 speed.in my opinion they are sharpest looking little car out there.
    Well found out friday that the Type K will not be out until it gets the new tranmission from korea as it should of the first time. I was wondering why my car was just sitting there in the same spot since monday. The first time my tranmission sliped, the service department told me that the tranmission was new, but this time they told me that the general manerger approved, that the car can get a brand new tranmission and not rebuilt. What im trying to say is that they told me that its was new, but was rebuilt, I could tell this when i first got back in the car, and watch my rpm's, they were differnt. And if i would stop, then accelerate the car would chunk into gear not finding the gear. I was thinking of getting the kia optima SE top of the line 4cylinder,(that is a huge 4cylinder which should go in the sportage/spectra aswell) But the general manager said " that if the car does this again we will try to lemon the car off" they would give me my full $15,839.00 back, so that i would not have an upside down trade. The optima was priced at 16,539.00 (with rebate)..
    Does any one else have problems with there vheicle like mine let me know so that i don't feel that im the only one with a bad vehicle. I'll miss my spectra gsx. but the optima se is very tempting. I drove my brother's infinitis and optima rides like the I30, but better then the G20. Oh yeah the optima has a very powerful four in my oppion, just which it had 4wheel disc brakes standard, and if i do get this vehicle, im going to tint the windows, add a spoiler, dual chrome exsuslt tips with resenator, and maybe upgrade wheels, or not becasue those wheels look beautiful. But also before i buy i want to know if they are going to restyle or make changes to the 03' model.
    more (hatch or sedan) changes as I look at pics of the different cars! They both look beautiful! I like the little semi-circles inside the headlamps on the sedan at my work. It's that silver one and it looks great. The hatch would be oh so cool as well. My Sportage 15,000 checkup is next Sat.AM. It doesn't need all of those fluids changed just checked. It will get a standard LOF and tire rotation. The front discs will get an inspection, too. If tranny fluid is low or dirty it will be replaced, same with transfer case oil and front and rear differential fluid. Driveshaft/U-joint will be lubricated and door hinges oiled, etc. A good once over at the 15,000 mile mark is what it will be! I'm getting it done at the dealer so I'll go out and gander at the new Spectra's and the Optima's, Rio's, etc. Looking forward to it!

I'll have a half hour or 45 minutes to burn so I'll be sure to wander out and look at the Spectra's. I'll get a 5-speed/AC price for both the sedan and hatchback. Yeah-the Sephia I bought in May '99 was my first foreign car bought ever. I drove a '66 VW fastback as a teenager but it was my Dad's not mine. A good little runner with an awesome manual tranny might I add. A smooth shifting little car with a peppy motor. I loved driving that baby blue VW fastback.

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    because it was not within the guidelines of our Town hall Membership Agreement. Unfortunately, we (hosts) are not able to edit messages here; so if there's one small problem/word, the entire post must be deleted losing all the valuable information as well.

For those concerned, be on the lookout for an email with a copy of your message enclosed. We invite you re-edit and repost your message back into this discussion. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    i never owned any of the imports from japan.all domestics,and some were lemons.i did own a yugo,but we wont talk about that.ha ha ha.
    Since My father bought me the 02' Kia Spectra GSX, Im not trading it, or selling it back to kia. Were getting it paid off, my moms 00'impala, and my dads 01' Expedition. The house as well in life insurance coverage. My dad was a very well Known man, and age 16 its very hard for me to take this death of some one so close. When i get enough money from my upcoming job or singing carrier I will be buying either a top of the line sportage, or the the new 03' Kia sorento EX V6 Awd. Because my mother and i will need something to do work with trailers and work horse stuff, IM not using my dad's truck, I want drive it or ride in it. I'll Just wash it. Thank you every body here at edmunds, cosumers, and the enthuisits of all vehicles who read these short brief messages. And again Thankn you for taking the time to Read this Message. God Bless.
    Since My father bought me the 02' Kia Spectra GSX, I'm not trading it, or selling it back to Kia. Were getting it paid off, my moms 00'impala, and my dads 01' Expedition. The house as well in life insurance coverage. My dad was a very well Known man, and age 16 its very hard for me to take this death of some one so close. When I get enough money from my upcoming job or singing carrier I will be buying either a top of the line Sportage, or the the new 03' Kia Sorento EX V6 Awd. Because my mother and I will need something to do work with trailers and work horse stuff, IM not using my dad's truck, I want drive it or ride in it. I'll Just wash it. Thank you every body here at edmunds, cosumers, and the enthuisits of all vehicles who read these short brief messages. And again Thankn you for taking the time to Read this Message. God Bless.
    and my condolences for your father. Hope you continue to enjoy your Kia Spectra.... I look forward to your continued participation on these message boards.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between the 2001 and 2002 GSX? Thanks!

Erik
    The 2001 Spectra was a betta tester for Northern American market to experince a fun and sportier Sephia. But with more stand features, sport and performance for the price. The new 2002 Kia spectra is a Half redesign or Refreshment of the first spectra introduced in 2000. The 2002 Model has a new and heavier/thicker block to reduce noise and vibration while offering a boost in Horse Power (1hp) From 125hp to 126p a little differance in acceleration but cruising speed was adjusted and the suspension was retuned a little for the engine work. Also thh engine has a cool aluminum looking Cover that saids Kia DOHC. The exsuslt system was reworked to give the car a quiter and more V6 like sound. A new type of rear spoiler and Rear New and better designed sport bucket seats that are now differnt from the spectra sedan. Fog lights are now add to the new look of the projector style Head lamps. UP dated lighter weight 14" alloy wheels, (I whish they would put 15" on the Spectra GSX and in Chrome or aluminum allow as on the VW GTI Turbo/VR6) New updated radio/ gauges/ or lets just say better erganomics. new passanger rear seat storage pocket, and also a little mesh pouch on the side. Reading lamps above as well as automatic headlamps. No more Huge Pint stripes that took away from the already sporty GSX model. Raised rear Spoiler, leather shifnob, and boot cover for hand brake. And turbo like whining sound. But some options offered on other spectra gsx and spectra LS over seas. Like Heated leather seats, CD/Cassette player, Sun-Roof/ Chrome door molding, and 15" optional wheels. Hopefully the new Spectra for 03'-04' or second generation spectra's will offer a stanard 1800cc for the base modle spectas, and a 2000cc or 2400cc for the LS or just the GSX's. Feel free to reply. Kia Darn Good Cars.
    im happy that kia is moving ahead.maybe the domestics should look ahead now...because thats where kia is.by the way the new 2003 rio is awesome looking.
    I believe only my spectra is a lemon, "I" have nothing but problems with it. My car went would not start; the battery had a dead cell; it was replaced with in the same week my new battery was competly dead. Im in procces right now of trying to get the car repurshed or replaced with another kia hopefuly a 2003 kia sorento EX-L, or if not the sorento the optima se top of the line I-4. But I will still and always be a fan of the spectra and will proably get one as a run around car for when I go to college. Oh yeah the spectra is very good off-road and in harsh condithions.(Kind of like an SUV or CROSS-OVER-VEHICLE). Kia darn good cars. Darn good value.
    see one on the street I keep looking at it for as long as I can. It looks great! Actually, Kia is selling more Spectra's now than Sportages. Sportage is 2nd and they're followed by Rio and then Optima. Check the American Kia website for the exact details. Sportage and Sephia used to trade off as monthly top-sellers but Spectra was WAY out ahead of Sportage for the last month figures were available. Cool. I love the looks of Spectra but I love my Pepper Red '01 Sportage 4x4 even more! Kia's future's so bright they better have thick shades on already!!!!!

A 2002 spectra hatch. I didn't want to post it for fear that my head will soon be missing. Its running good so far and I like it and it was cheap. I might even buy the new yugo truck coming out. Ok im ready for my punishment.
    and congrats on your new Spectra! We look forward to hearing all about your ownership experience. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Thanks, it runs good so far and the guys at work pick on me and have used every kia joke in the book. I know its all in good fun and I can take it. Some times its best to laugh with every one else ha ha ha.
    Good point. Also, if the car pleases you..., that's the most important thing. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    Anyone with a Spectra that has or had a Sephia. I have a Sephia now and it's pretty cool even though we went through hell the first year. I plan to trade it even though I know I will have a huge upside down trade. My neighbor had a '99 and they only gave her $1500 for her trade in and she owed $5000. My Sephia is fully loaded including a sunroof and my neighbor had nothing. I know that because of the extras I have, it will give me more, but still. I plan to get Sonata because I think they look really good and the consumer report says it's in the same market as the Accord, Maxima, and Camry, except for the reliability. I think I kind of like Korean cars because you can get soooo much for your money. Hyundai's have come a long way and I applaud them for that. But, if anyone can tell me if they have seen in significant differences between the Sephia and the Spectra sedan, let me know.
    I was wondering if i get dual exhaust added to my spectra will it void my warranty( I mean cut in the the original pipe line), and also is it possible that the first production spectra gsx's black ground effects, can fit the new spectra hacth-back.
  • aut2noaut2no Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a new little car at a comparitvely cheap price. One of the obsticales I'll have to overcome is the fact that I would have been one of the guys poking fun at Kia owners.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    "One of the obsticales I'll have to overcome is the fact that I would have been one of the guys poking fun at Kia owners."

Ignore them. I'm sick of them too, but I wouldn't let someone keep me from buying a car that I like because people make fun of you.

I don't own a Kia, I just drive one. I drive my mom's 2001 Kia Sportage, the only people that bother me are the people online, and I don't care what they say, either.
    Kia naysayers, they come a DIME A DOZEN. Frankly Kia and Hyundai(too bad I can't say Daewoo anymore but I like the Lanos replacement called Kalos they are building!)are the only carmakers that I love! You should look at the new Rio for 2003 or grab an '02 Kia Spectra at a bargain price. Both the Spectra sedan and hatch look pretty nice to me. I'm a 2001 Kia Sportage owner but I test drove an '01 Optima(liked it) and looked at the Rio Cinco wagon and the Spectra twins long and hard before choosing the Sportage. Happy hunting!

My poor spectra was hit by a 18 wheeler truck that was driving in a restricted zone at my company, in other words a no truck zone. Ill let you and everyone know that the little car gave me no problems when I had it and was just as good as the other little compact hatch economy cars out there. Now I have about 10 kia oil filters and no kia car. Next car will be a spectra or elantra but the spectra hatch is much cheaper than the elantra hatch. Maybe I should go with the sedans.
    I see a couple of them on the street on my way to work pert-near everyday. There's one near where I live that looks great-it's the same color as my '01 Sportage(Pepper Red). It really looks sharp. Kia has kept their standard up with this sedan of superior styling over all Japanese, American and, yep, German sedans. Are you getting closer to being able to serious-shop for a new one?

• mountainman3mountainman3 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove both the Elantra GLS and GT before I bought my Spectra GS Hatch. If you got the green, get the GT. Otherwise, the Spectra handles better than the GLS, although the GLS has more power. Could spend money(struts, springs) to make GLS handle better, but just a little bit of $ for strut bars will dramatically improve Spectra handling(so I heard on streetkiaz.com). For me deciding factor was Hatchback.
    The insurance and everything is taken care of. Im looking and I think any time between now and Christmas is when Ill buy a new one. Im going to look at a hyundai elantra and see how it holds up to my spectra that I had only a short time. Ive been working long hours so Ill try to keep in touch. Talk to ya later.
    standard 4-door Elantra sedan? I would go for the Spectra but you've already had one-I can see why you'd want to try the Elantra out. It sure gets some respectful articles written by journalists about it.

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    My brother's girlfriend picked up her Spectra GSX hatchback Monday. Everything is working except the AM/FM/CD. It is on but there is no audio. I wonder if there is a code. They wouldn't mess up the unit. And they have to order a new and replace it this weekend at no charge. What a disappointment! I am glad my Sorento works fine and got no problem.
    Their job is to make the after-purchase totally right for her. She'll have her stereo working fine by weekend's end for no charge.

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    The AM/FM/CD player is working when it arrived to the service. They properly figure out the password or code on the CD player. They didn't need a new unit. By the way, if you have a dead battery or have it disconnected, you need to go back to the service. I don't remember the service gave him the code for the unit.
  • ofrakinofrakin Member Posts: 12
    I can't believe how well it runs. In fact, I keep checking out ALL the KIA sites to justify my spending almost $12K. I couldn't find a maintenance free vehicle....the closest I got was a 100K mile warranty.
  • crashemupcrashemup Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2001 Spectra, it's got a little less than 17,000 miles on it. I like it a lot and for the first few days things were great. Now the brakes have turned really mushy. I've got to put the pedal to the floor before I can get the car to stop. Checked the brake fluid level and its fine. I looked on the NHTSA web site and found that someone had filed a complaint about the same thing. Anyone else experience this problem? The dealer will be taking it in to service it in a couple of days. What should I expect to hear him/her?
  • ofrakinofrakin Member Posts: 12
    Mushy brakes are a couple of things. You only have 17k so I would expect them to bleed the lines to get the air out. Brake pads are $20 per axle and frontrotors are $25ea., at your local Pep Boys/Advance Auto, but you should NOT need either of them, unless it has a disconnected speedo and has more like 35K+ miles, but that's something else. I hope not, tho. Let us know what they say.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    I have a 2002 Hatchback.
    We have about 12,000 mile on it.
    Here are some recent technical issues to watch for

1.) Engine software revised to improve starting- the factory has released a new computer software to enhance cold starts. I am planning on trying it. Normally the engine has to turn over 4 times before it fires up.

2.) Fuel Filler neck problem- Factory says tehy will replace a part of the filler neck at no charge due to finding a weak part of the design. I am going too have this looked at too.

Happy Motoring.
  • valentine3valentine3 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at getting a Spectra but I have heard that Kias aren't the best cars. I don't want to buy a car that isn't worth the money. Please let me know what you think of you Spectra...my email is LilMiss280@hotmail.com.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    you should buy the spectra if you want a good affordable sedan / hatchback that won't let you down in 2-3 years with a major repair job.

If you want a bigger car , go for a Buick Century which they are nearly giving away now at $ 15,000.

If you want a performance car , none of the Kia's will be for you. They are slightly HEAVIER than the competitors and so that makes them slower ( but safer in a crash).

The Honda ELement has great space , but for that money and the skimpy warranty you could get a KIA SEDONA ( which I also have ) and the Sedona beats the stuffings out of the Element for towing , space and comfort.

I have taken family trips , carried firwood ( inside ) and also towed a heavy trailer 800 miles. my Sedona has 25,000 miles and my Spectra has 14,000 miles on it.

Both work well.

I would avoid the Saturn except on a 36 month lease, if you have them throw in the service contract ( oil chnages etc. ) that way you do not get stiffed.

We did ok with a Saturn LEase a few years back.
    The engine was not that good though and it worn out quickly.
This discussion has been closed.