Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oil Filters, whose is best, and Why?

Comments

• zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    But not the "pure-one" innards, I think they use the standard grade media, not any synthetic fibers. Nothing wrong with them, just not the TOP of the line. I use the Motorcraft or AC filters on my Nissan truck, Motorcraft had 215 sq in and the AC had 243,,,probably use the AC more often.
    see ya
    Rando
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Regardless of all other factors related to other brands of filters, the Motorcraft line has a very good reputation. I am currently using them on my Mercury Villager, and will soon put one on my Nissan Pathfinder.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I can't offer personal proof, but based on discussions I've seen, mostly on contour.org, the FL820S filter does indeed have Pure One innards.
    I can't tell by looking whether the filter paper contains any synthetic fiber but the Motorcraft filter is at least constructed like all the purolators typically are. All I can tell by the visual comparison is that the AC comparable filter (PF20)had a pretty good bit MORE paper, whether the filter efficiency is any better who knows? I also compared the AC filter with the Pure-one for my Chevy truck (PF52), the Pureone should have better efficiency paper but it had slightly less of it, 236 vs 244 sq in......and a high efficiency filter really should contain MORE paper otherwise it may start obstructing flow sooner. In both cases I would NOT consider using the purolator version (Motorcraft or Pure-one) for extended drain intervals, but would be good for normal intervals (3k miles, which is what I do anyway).
    Thanks for the note
    see y'all
    Rando
  • brennekebrenneke Member Posts: 43
    My observation has been that when you tear the paper of a filter paper that contains synthetic or glass fibres, you can see many fine hairs extending out from the edge - maybe this is a way to tell the difference?
    Never thought about that, could be a little difficult because I cut these filters open after using them so the paper may not tear the same as when dry, but it's worth a try.
    I had read the mini-mopar oil filter study a while back where that fellow said the motorcraft filters used the pure-one cartridges, but I have seen other articles that said they used normal purolator paper cartridges, maybe its time to call them? Thanks for the suggestion, see ya
    Rando
    Has anyone on here actually found for sure whether the Motorcraft filters actually use the Pure-one cartridges? Is "micronic" just a Purolator trade name for synthetic fiber or synthetic mix fiber?
    Happy holiday everyone!!
    see ya
    Rando
  • rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    Yes, it would be nice to know for sure whether the Motorcraft regular filters use the Pure One media. My local Ford partsman has no idea. Let's find out!
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    a larger canister size filter for your car? My car takes a Mobil 1 M1-103 filter. I'd like to use a longer filter (for more capicity). Is there a way to find one with the same thread and seal size, only longer? Thanks.
    If I may actually try to be helpful...

Try to cross-reference the key filter characteristics in the back of the Purolator filter book/catalog. The experts here will tell you the main things to look for-- you should be concerned about more than just seal diameter and threads matching up.
    Where can I find one of these catalogs?
    Typically, at an auto parts store or other retailer. Seems like the info is also on the Purolator web site-- www.purolator.com, IIRC.
    Some years back, I determined to find an automotive substitute for a Harley-Davidson filter. I got a NAPA, or Wix, filter book, and after considerable searching I found charts that gave the characteristics of all the filters. I was able to flip back and forth, etc., looking first for all filters that had the correct gasket size, and canister diameter, usable canister length, proper back flow valve, and the same pressure setting for the bypass valve. I made copious notes and charts, and eventually cam up with 3 or 4 alternatives. I tried the ones that appealed to me, and never had a problem. I saved beau coup bucks, and gained the satisfaction of NOT being forced to buy the proprietary H-D filter.

I'm sure you could do the same for your application. Good luck!
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    The Purolator web site seems to be no help at all in finding a larger than OEM oil filter. In fact, if you click on "Contact Us" they have a FAQ section which specifically says they will not recommend any filter size other than their OEM equivalent, and they will not stand behind any of their filters other than the OEM equivalent, which I think is BULL.
    The corporate law dogs tell them how to avoid suits over blown engines! You have to do your homework on the filters and decide whether or not you are willing to take on the responsibility for your own actions. The Purolator techies and sales types sure won't risk it for you.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I just completed a search for a longer than OEM filter for my '01 Millenia 2.5L.

I got the info by using various combinations of key words in google, such as "Bosch 3323 oil filter substitute". That got me some hits, plus I tried other combinations of key words. I now have a list of 15 long filters that will fit my car, ranging from $1.99 to about $12.00. I currently have a Penske 7317 from KMart that I paid $1.97 for. While the number looks like a Fram, it is not. It is all metal construction, no cardboard. Have fun, but you will also get a lot of useless hits you have to sort out.
    Would you mind listing your findings for filters that fit your car? That particular filter is used on many Nissans, as well. I have several filter brands and numbers that I found (and have listed in the past), but it sounds like you have found several more.
    Long filters for Mazda Millenia P and S.

1-NAPA Gold 1356
    2-Big A 92356
    3-CarQuest 85356
    4-Deutsch D-370
    5-STP S-02867
    6-Fram PH7317
    7-Motorcraft FL822
    8-Purolator L14620
    9-Wix 51356
    10-Bosch 3323
    11-Castrol 7317 (looks like Wix)
    12-Penske 7317 (looks like Wix)
    13-A/C Delco PF2057
    14-Lee LF2867
    15-Champ PH2867

I think any Champion Lab manufactured filter with 2867 would also match, just a guess.

I didn't crosscheck Pure1, KN and others, but those two are also Champion.

An interesting sidenote. Many Japanese motorcycles use this filter too. That is where part of the hits came from.
    I am using a Penske filter on my Millenia, and finally found confirmation that it is a rebadged Wix.

===============================================

" From Open Roads Forum

dan32240
    Gastonia

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2002 8:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am retired from Wix filters and the Napa Gold is run on the same production line as the same Wix numbers.We made filters for catapillar,Big A Ford oem,Carquest,Texaco.Make Penske now and the Silver Napa is also a pretty good filter.Used to make filters for Cat diesels but they got to picky and left.Make a lot of heavy filters for all big rigs."

There was a following post confirming this one.
  • malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    of magnets I had bought at a hobby shop at stuck them on the side of the filter the last time I changed the oil (1988 civic awd wagon 109k miles). I change the oil every 3k. I know it can't hurt, but any thoughts on the effectiveness?
    The magnets are about the size of a dime and pretty strong.
    Many thanks for taking the time to list your findings!

You had three listings that I did not already have. I would mention to you that the Deutsch brand name has been replaced by the STP name, and a NEW set of number designators has been adopted. The new STP filters use the same series as the SuperTech filters at Walmart (6607 in this case). Pennzoil also has one, PZ-109.
    The 6607 Filters are 2 1/2 inches, as opposed to the 3 1/2 inch filters I am interested in. My local Autozone still has some Deutsch filters on the shelf with the old designations, but I have been unable to find the long STP with the S-02867 number. I did find another site that has what appears to be a mixed list of short and long filters that match.

You have to run a quick search, but they make it easy with drop down lists.

http://www.autowhiz.com/

After confirming that Wix makes the Penske filters, and considering that Wix carries a high rating in all the tests I have seen, I have decided to stick with the Penske unless/until I can see that they have changed manufacturers.

Pennzoil and Quaker are both Fram, and get lousy test results in the comparisons I have read.

I get different results depending on what year etc I enter in Autowhiz, so here is the list I get for 2001 MM 2.5L.

================================================ FILTER, OIL

AC DELCO PF2112 [Oil Filter] GM #25014768
    BALDWIN B1402 [Oil Filter] DOHC 24 Valve
    CARQUEST 85356 [Oil Filter]
    CHAMP PH2867 [Oil Filter]
    CARQUEST RED B4620 [Oil Filter]
    DEFENSE FILTERS DL3530 [OIL FILTER] KLZE
    FRAM DOUBLE GUARD DG7317 [Oil Filter] KLZE
    FRAM PRO FILTERS PH7317PRO [OIL FILTER] KLZE
    FRAM PH7317 [OIL FILTER] KLZE
    FRAM TOUGH GUARD TG7317 [OIL FILTER] KLZE
    FRAM XTRA GUARD OIL FILTE XG7317 [Oil Filter]
    GROUP 7 V4620 [Oil Filter]
    HAYDEN 291 [Universal Remote Filter Mount Kit] Contains Engine Adapter and remote filter mount, no ho se included
    HASTINGS FILTERS LF240 [Oil Filter] 24 Valve
    IMPERIAL 240291 [Universal Remote Filter Mount Kit] Contains Engine Adapter and remote filter mount, no ho se included
    MOTORCRAFT FL-821 [Oil Filter]
    POWERFLO SL14620 [Oil Filter]
    PRO TEC 164 [Oil Filter]
    PUROLATOR L14620 [Oil Filter]
    PUROLATOR PER4620 Old Number Sub. for L14620
    PUROLATOR PL14620 [Oil Filter]
    PENNZOIL PZ-109 [Oil Filter] KLZE
    AUTO PRO 2356 [Oil Filter]
    WIX 51356 [Oil Filter]
  • gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    that pointed out the magnets on the filter are designed to catch any ferrous material ie: iron and aid in prolonging or preventing the oxidation process of the oil it has been found that if you can eliminate out of circulatin the ferrous material such as iron that it is a co catalyst to the oxidation process thereby extending the oil life expectancy, however to physically see this try cutting open you're filter while the magnets are still attached and you'll find small particles that were taken out of oil cirulation.
  • malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    I've thought about cutting open the filter w/ the magnets still on after removing it, but for now will just have faith that it's working and will search for more powerful magnets.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    A boob at Wal-Mart substituted the short filter on my last oil change. Here's an e-mail from Champion Labs. I assume the same number applies to most of their brands. This is confusing because Fram recommends the smaller filter (6607) for the same car. Go figure.

The Super Tech catalog calls for the ST2808 on the 2001 Hyundai Elantra.
    The ST6607 could be used as a smaller alternate, however the correct filter
    which we recommend is the ST2808.

The only air filter we have available for this application is the Champ
    AF7999. For the nearest Champ distributor in your area, please contact our
    Customer Service at (800) 851-3641.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us at any time.
    Thank you.

Chad Garrett
    Technical Service
    Representative
    Champion Laboratories, Inc.
    I assume autowhiz is a search engine. I'll try it. I hold the WIX manufactory in the same level of esteem as you. I have Penske filters waiting to be used next on my pair of 3.3liter Nissan V6's-- both of which were recently serviced with my last two remaining Motorcraft filters. I also agree with your preference for the longer body filters. I have this nagging sense that it may not imply what we think, but one has to be pleased with what he uses on his vehicles, eh? >:^]
    Quote:"I have this nagging sense that it may not imply what we think, but one has to be pleased with what he uses on his vehicles, eh? >:^]"

I can't help but feel there must be about a third more filtering area in that extra inch of filter. If not, I see no reason why they would make both versions, as the short ones would obviously fit anywhere the long ones do. At any rate it can't hurt, and the price is the same. Not to mention it makes me feel like I am doing the right thing. :)

I am going to be changing the one on my MM soon, and will cut it open to have a look. It is a long Penske. I will also be installing the Fram SureDrain I bought a few months back, and will see if it lives up to my expectations.

Thanks csandste for passing that information on.
    I haven't been able to find out what the longer version of Mobil's M1-103 is. Have any of you figured out how to cross reference this one?
    as an easy out for a manufacturer. Different clearances in different types of Hyundais. Spec. the short one and it'll always fit. Interesting that Fram calls for the small filter for the Elantra and Champion Labs doesn't. Corporate culture-- don't care whether it does the best job, simply make it easier to stock limited sizes.
    Quote:"Interesting that Fram calls for the small filter for the Elantra and Champion Labs doesn't."

====================

That is exactly the opposite of the recommendation for my Millenia, Fram is the long one. Go figure.

bottgers, I don't know what your car is. But if you go to http://www.autowhiz.com and enter the information for your car, it will give you a list of filters to fit it. The list seems to include both long and short filters, but at least you will know which ones to check out, and you can tell which ones are the long ones by looking at them at the auto supply.

I bought two Penske's at KMart this afternoon, and it looks to me like they are phasing them out and replacing them with Fram. Even the chart they used to have in the filter department that showed why the Penske's are better than Fram has disappeared, and the Penske's have been crowded into a small area to make room for the Fram's. Since there is no Penske Auto Center in my area, it looks like I will soon have to change brands.

The newest Mazda Protege they have info for was 2001, and only the 1.6L engine in that year. They're not very timely. Just an observation.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    I would consider the Mobil 1 110, or the K&N HP 1010. They are equivalent to the Pure One PL 14620. I have used both on my Sentra 2L.
    Quote:"The newest Mazda Protege they have info for was 2001, and only the 1.6L engine in that year. They're not very timely. Just an observation."

I find the '02 Protege with 2.0 engine, and '01 with both 1.6 and 2.0.

Here's the list for the '02 2.0 L4:
    ======================================

FILTER, OIL
    BALDWIN B1400 [Oil Filter] Includes All Models
    DEFENSE FILTERS DL3330 [OIL FILTER]
    FRAM DOUBLE GUARD DG6607 [Oil Filter]
    FRAM PRO FILTERS PH6607PRO [OIL FILTER]
    FRAM PH6607 [OIL FILTER]
    HASTINGS FILTERS LF113 [Oil Filter] ES Listing.
    HASTINGS FILTERS LF113 [Oil Filter] LX Listing.
    HASTINGS FILTERS LF113 [Oil Filter] MP3 Listing.
    PENNZOIL PZ-37 [Oil Filter]

================================================

'01 2.0 L4

CHAMP PH2876 [Oil Filter]
    DEFENSE FILTERS DL3330 [OIL FILTER] VIN 5
    FRAM DOUBLE GUARD DG6607 [Oil Filter]
    FRAM PRO FILTERS PH6607PRO [OIL FILTER] VIN 5
    FRAM PH6607 [OIL FILTER] VIN 5
    GROUP 7 V4622 [Oil Filter]
    HAYDEN 291 [Universal Remote Filter Mount Kit] Contains Engine Adapter and remote filter mount, no ho se included
    IMPERIAL 240291 [Universal Remote Filter Mount Kit] Contains Engine Adapter and remote filter mount, no ho se included
    POWERFLO SL14622 [Oil Filter]
    PUROLATOR L14622 [Oil Filter]
    PUROLATOR PER4622 Old Number Sub. for L14622
    PUROLATOR PL14622 [Filter-Oil]
    PENNZOIL PZ-37 [Oil Filter] VIN 5

==================================================

'01 1.6 L4

FILTER, OIL
    AC DELCO PF1237 [Oil Filter] GM #25014422
    BALDWIN B1400 [Oil Filter] DOHC
    CHAMP PH2876 [Oil Filter]
    DEFENSE FILTERS DL3330 [OIL FILTER] B6ZE; VIN 2
    FRAM DOUBLE GUARD DG6607 [Oil Filter] B6ZE; VIN 2
    FRAM PRO FILTERS PH6607PRO [OIL FILTER] B6ZE; VIN 2
    FRAM PH6607 [OIL FILTER] B6ZE; VIN 2
    GROUP 7 V4622 [Oil Filter]
    HASTINGS FILTERS LF113 [Oil Filter]
    MOTORCRAFT FL-816 [Oil Filter]
    POWERFLO SL14622 [Oil Filter]
    PUROLATOR L14622 [Oil Filter]
    PUROLATOR PER4622 Old Number Sub. for L14622
    PUROLATOR PL14622 [Filter-Oil]
    PENNZOIL PZ-37 [Oil Filter] B6ZE; VIN 2
    Thanks. You're right of course. I entered thru their "parts dept" and was given 2001 as their newest date. Web site anomaly I guess.
    Quote:"I haven't been able to find out what the longer version of Mobil's M1-103 is. Have any of you figured out how to cross reference this one?"

=========================================

When I entered Mobile M1-103 in Google, it brought up a Toyota MR2 forum. On that forum they said the M1-103 fits a '93 MR2 turbo. It also brought up this site:

http://eric.virginia.com/main_site/paseo/paseo_engine_oil_change.htm

When I entered the '93 MR2 Turbo in Autowhiz, I got the following list.

FILTER, OIL

AC DELCO PF1234 [Oil Filter]

AUTOPRIDE PRIVATE LABELS CF413AP [Oil Filter] 3SGTE

BECK/ARNLEY 041-8065 [OIL FILTER]

BALDWIN B37 [Oil Filter]

BIG A 92396 [Oil Filter]

BOSCH 72167 [Oil Filter] VIN 3SGTE

CARQUEST 85396 [Oil Filter]

CHAMP PH2840 [Oil Filter]

CHAMP PH2841 [Oil Filter]

CASITE CF413 [Oil Filter] 3SGTE

DEFENSE FILTERS DL3410 [Oil Filter] 3S-GTE Eng.

FEDERATED FILTERS LF413F [Oil Filter] 3SGTE

FRAM PRO FILTERS PH4386PRO [Oil Filter] 3S-GTE Eng.

FRAM PH4386 [Oil Filter] 3S-GTE Eng.

GROUP 7 V4477 [Oil Filter]

HASTINGS FILTERS LF413 [Oil Filter]

K&N FILTER HP-1003 [Performance Gold Oil Filter]

LEE FILTERS LF2841 [Oil Filter]

MIGHTY M4477 [Oil Filter] Engine Guard II, 3S-GTE

ORIG EQUIP PLUS OF-470 [Oil Filter]

PROFESSIONAL CHOICE QL14477 [Oil Filter] 3S-GTE Eng.

POWERFLO SL14477 [Oil Filter]

PRONTO PO4386 [Oil Filter] 3SGTE

PRO TEC 154 [Oil Filter] Pro-Tec #

PUROLATOR L14477 [Oil Filter]

PUROLATOR PER4477 Old Number Sub. for L14477

PENNZOIL PZ-38 [Oil Filter] 3S-GTE Eng.

ROCKHILL 61394 [Oil Filter] Pro-Tec #

STP S02841 [Oil Filter] VIN 3S-GTE Listing

STP STP2841 [Oil Filter] Double; VIN 3S-GTE Listing

WEB W-4386 [Oil Filter]

WEB FILTERS W-4386 [Oil Filter]

WIX 51396 [Oil Filter]

Next is the Autowhiz listing for a '92 Toyota Paseo that also uses the M1-103.

FILTER, OIL

AC DELCO PF1233 [Oil Filter] GM #25161880; 5EFE,7MGE FI; DURAGUARD

AC DELCO SPF1233 [Oil Filter] GM #25329386; 5EFE,7MGE FI; DURAGUARD SILVER

AC DELCO UPF1233 [Oil Filter] GM #25329391; 5EFE,7MGE FI; ULTRAGUARD GOLD

AUTOPRIDE PRIVATE LABELS CF410AP [Oil Filter] w/E.F.I.; D.O.H.C.; 16 Valve

AUTO PRO 2394 EFI

BECK/ARNLEY 041-8066 [OIL FILTER]

BALDWIN B33 [Oil Filter] DOHC

BIG A 92394 [Oil Filter]

BOSCH 72166 [Oil Filter]

CARQUEST 85394 [Oil Filter]

CHAMP PH2840 [Oil Filter]

CASITE CF410 [Oil Filter] w/E.F.I.; D.O.H.C.; 16 Valve

CARQUEST RED B4477 [Oil Filter]

DEFENSE FILTERS DL3410 [Oil Filter]

FRAM DOUBLE GUARD DG4967 [Oil Filter]

FEDERATED FILTERS LF410F [Oil Filter] w/EFI; D.O.H.C.; 16 Valve

FRAM PRO FILTERS PH4967PRO [Oil Filter]

FRAM PH4967 [Oil Filter]

FRAM TOUGH GUARD TG4967 [Oil Filter]

FRAM XTRA GUARD OIL FILTE XG4967 [Oil Filter]

GROUP 7 V4477 [Oil Filter]

HASTINGS FILTERS LF410 [Oil Filter]

K&N FILTER HP-1003 [Performance Gold Oil Filter]

LEE FILTERS LF2840 [Oil Filter] 16 Valve

MIGHTY M4477 [Oil Filter] Engine Guard II, 5E-FE

MOTORCRAFT FL-836 [Oil Filter]

ORIG EQUIP PLUS OF-440 [Oil Filter]

PROFESSIONAL CHOICE QL14967 [Oil Filter]

POWERFLO SL14477 [Oil Filter]

PRONTO PO4967 [Oil Filter] w/E.F.I.; D.O.H.C.; 16 Valve

PRO TEC 154 [Oil Filter]

PURE ONE PL14476 [Oil Filter]

PUROLATOR L14476 [Oil Filter]

PUROLATOR PER4476 Old Number Sub. for L14476

PUROLATOR PL14476 [Oil Filter]

PENNZOIL PZ-39 [Oil Filter]

ROCKHILL 61394 [Oil Filter]

STP S02840 [Oil Filter] 16 Valve Eng.

STP STP2840 [Oil Filter] Double; 16 Valve Eng.

AUTO PRO 2394 [Oil Filter]

WEB W-4967 [Oil Filter]

WEB FILTERS W-4967 [Oil Filter]

WIX 51394 [Oil Filter]

===========================================

From the following list it looks like it crosses to a regular Mobile filter #MO4477.

MOBIL #1 OIL FILTERS

PART # MOBIL CROSS REFERENCE EACH

M1-101 MO-111 $4.49

M1-102 MO-241 4.49

M1-103 MO-4477 4.49

M1-104 MO-4459 4.49

M1-108 MO-4622 4.49

M1-110 MO-4620 4.49

M1-201 MO-4011 4.49

M1-202 MO-49 4.49

M1-204 MO-4670 4.49

M1-206 MO-123 4.49

M1-208 MO-4457 4.49

M1-209 MO-195 4.49

M1-210 MO-195 4.49

M1-301 MO-1A 4.49

That ought to get you started.

Many thanks for the filter tip!
    I plan to use the longer Purolator L14620, rather than the Purolator L14622 listed by Purolator as replacement for OEM filter on my Mazda 2002 2.0L engine.

Then I see the scary info here:

http://www.teammiata.com/libs/oil-filters.htm

I really cannot believe that the OEM filter has twice the media of a Purolator replacement, and I'm sure you "Filter Cutter-Uppers" would agree with me? Right?

And thanks for the heads up on availability diminishing on Penske/Wix filters. I drove over to my nearest Big K Mart and snatched up an extra seven 7317 filters for my two Nissan 3.3L V6's. Around here, we can get Castrol/Wix filters for 60 cents more each, over the price of the Penskes. I seriously doubt that there is any difference in Penske and Castrol versions of the Wix filter, other than the names. I noted also that the Fram display is getting quite prominent. I really hope the Wix thing does not fade away from K Marts.

I sincerely think that you are on solid ground looking for an after market filter for your Miata. Who's filter has 2X or 3X someone else's filter in area of filtering media is interesting, but not the key. Aren't you after a quality built filter that has ample filtration material to more than meet the needs of your vehicle to be properly filtered over so many thousand miles? If so, do you think Purolator can supply such? I'll bet they can. I'd be careful about not using the filter they recommend for the Miata, however. Notice I said I'd be careful. I did not say I would not do it!
    The Castrol's appear identical to the Penske, and are also available at our KMart. They seem to be getting pushed off the shelf also. I think it is because Penske and KMart parted ways on the Auto Centers, and KMart is just accessing a cheaper supplier, Fram.

There is also a higher priced Castrol that looks the same as the Penske, but may have a different filtering material.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    While local K-mart was going out of business, they had Mobile 1 $10 filters for $6, then $4, then $3, and the end for 1$.

Since they had lost the cross ref. book, no one knew what the filters were for. Using Mobil phone#, got cross reference# and bought tons of filters that will last for 5 years for all cars. truck, and van that we own.
    At our local KMart, they also have Castrol GTX for $1.29 a qt until next Saturday. I loaded up enough of that to change oil in my two cars for a couple of years.

Our KMart didn't close, so I didn't catch the filter sale. Good move as long as you will have the cars that long.
  • mcalcankillermcalcankiller Member Posts: 6
    You generally get what you pay for!. I recommend Purolator or OEM. I used to use FRAM but their quality has gone down.

Keep it simple: wait for a sale on OEM and stock up. Motorcraft uses the Purolator Premium Plus with the new silicone antidrain vavle. I use them for my 2 Taurus + E150.
    Penske and Castrol are both Wix. That's as good as they come. Several others are Champion, also good.

Remember, the car companies do not manufacture filters. They buy them, sometimes from Fram. So OEM is just a low bid deal for the most part, and OEM does not mean the filter is any good. Some OEM are very poor quality, sourced offshore in places like China and Korea.

Do a google for "oil filter test" or "oil filter comparison". You will find OEM is not what you think it is. Wix and Champion manufactured filters almost always come out on top in the filter tests, along with Purolator and a couple of others sold at discount stores and auto supplies.

You will also find out that for the most part, a $3 filter is equal or superior to the $10 ones.
    Your #1294-- Amen, Bro! (;oÐ
  • steve_g35steve_g35 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know of any comparisons between premium oil filters, specifically Amsoil SDF, Mobil, and Bosch?

I believe that all of these use sythetic fibers for smaller micron filtering. Does anyone know the difference between these? Thanks.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    I've followed this board for a long time and probably your best bet is to go back and dig up past information. The problem is that the published efficiencies become fuzzy because you don't really know what micron size you are dealing with. Also the SAE test has changed somewhat in the last year I believe. The filters you have mentioned are all good filters, near as I can determine. The Amsoil I believe is made by Hastings. Mobil and Bosch are made by Champion Labs. Even though the last two look the same they are different. For sure the cannister thickness of the Bosch is thinner than the Mobil. Since the media and effficiencies are all probably more than adequate, I have honed in on the ones that have a very thick wall. K&N is the thickest at around .020" with Mobil at about .018 most of the rest are at around .012 to .014. Purolator is at the bottom of the list of those that I have measured at less than .010" I will never use Purolator again.

BTW don't rule out the Supertech at Wally worlk- High efficiency and cannister of .017"- made by Champion Labs.

Al
    Just curious, but in 48 years of driving and 43 years of owning and maintaining my own cars, I have never had a canister split. Have you? I can see it perhaps under racing conditions, but not in street use unless I have just been unbelievably lucky with the two hundred or so filters of various manufacture I have bought and changed.
    I've never had the misfortune of a pressure rupture of a canister, either, but have been advised to use caution in that regard concerning motorcycles. It seems that some lesser thickness and or lesser constructed filters had a streak of failures under competition conditions not so many years back. The result was oil all over the tracks with the implied consequences following!
    Two things from the MiniMopar filter report stand out:

1. The Mobil filter was constructed much heavier than other Champion Labs units.

2. The Mobil filter had some disturbing reports of the cannister splitting.

I've always taken this to mean that there may be some dangers in using a super high efficiency filter. Even a 1% failure rate (undoubtedly too high) would more than offset the risks inherent in just going with a medium grade filter like SuperTech and changing more often.
This discussion has been closed.