Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oil Filters, whose is best, and Why?

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    What is the long version of the Mobil 1 M1-103 filter?

Jodar96

You lucky dog! Being able to get the best filters made for those prices should be a crime!

mcalcankiller

You're absolutely right about Fram filters. They're junk, stay away from them. Mobil's and Purolator's filters are the best, even better than OEM.

Fwatson

As with oil, you get what you pay for with oil filters. $3 filters are not equal to, or superior to $10 filters. There isn't a $3 filter on the market that will compare to Mobil's or Purolator's filters.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Some engines are prone to stuck oil pressure relief valves and will split a filter,any filter.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    I have never had any fail, but I have heard of others failing. I personally knew of one person who had one split. On the other hand, my main beef is with the Purolator. It's paper thin. I would guess their rupture rate would be higher. The danger would be greatest in GM vehicles as they have an internal bypass and filters specified for GM products have no bypass valve (generally). So If I were running GM vehicles I would avoid Purolators like the plague (which I do). I maintain 3 GM vehicles.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Quote:"As with oil, you get what you pay for with oil filters. $3 filters are not equal to, or superior to $10 filters. There isn't a $3 filter on the market that will compare to Mobil's or Purolator's filters."

As you obviously refuse to believe the results of the minimopar and other tests, there is no way to convince you otherwise. Good luck with your $10 filters.

Lets see, at $7 difference and about 200 filters, I have saved, in todays dollars, about $1400 with not one split case, nor engine failure.

I will go with my 43 years of car ownership experience and stick with the excellent Wix and Champion $3 filters.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    1. Purolator has different price points-- not every Purolator is a Pure One.

2. Some brands (AC) aren't always what they seem. Some companies make part of a line and farm the rest out.

3. OEM suppliers aren't reliable, Canadian Honda OEM's are Frams.

4. Apparently the Mobil 1 has a better filtering medium, and it's been described as a better filter (as far as heavy construction) in MiniMopar and Acura (I think) studies, but the stories of splitting are troubling.

5. I agree w. fwatson that there are plenty of good low cost Champion and Wix filters out there, although KMart's dropping of Wix for (gag) Fram is a loss.

6. In the case of Fram, you definitely don't get what you pay for. No Fram is my only rule in life.
    In rechecking the famed Allied Signal engineer expose, he referenced Fram (crap) filter was $20Cdn. That's certainly not an example of getting what you pay for...

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt

• zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    I thought that report was saying the filter can was leaking at the crimp point around the entry side of the filter, not splitting down the side or anything like that, but I could have read that part wrong .
    Since those filters are using thicker sheet metal for the can, it is possible the crimping machine cannot handle that thickness properly when sealing the edges...sometimes over-engineering can be as bad as under-engineering. They are not worth $10 to me, but as with everything else on here....if it makes you happy, use it.
    If anyone busts a filter (any filter) due to over-pressure, they have other problems to worry about. The busted filter would have just been a symptom of another problem,,,like a stuck internal pressure relief valve at the pump...
    Any filter that filters at too fine a level starts decreasing flow at higher rpm, and does it more as time goes by as it gradually starts plugging up...definitely NOT good for using in extended drain intervals.
    Personally I would rather have higher oil flowrates rather than having ultra-clean oil at lower flowrates.
    Fwatson

I've read several oil filter tests, and they all said Mobil and Purolator make the best filters. None of them have said Wix and/or Champions were as good.

Like many, I'm frugal, but I won't scimp when it comes to my oil or filters. Those who use $.95 oil and $3 filters are just asking for trouble. You might as well take the money you're saving by buying the cheap stuff, and put it away for for that certain premature engine, or car replacment. I don't get 200+K miles out of my cars by running the cheap stuff!

zr2rando

I don't now why so many people are making such a big deal about the Mobil filter splitting. It was one, isolated incident, which under the same conditions, there isn't a filter made that wouldn't have split.
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    actually put 200K miles on not using the cheap stuff. I personally have not ever put 200K on a car but the last two cars my wife and I had both were over 165K when I sold them and both are still running strong using the "cheap stuff".

You are very adamant in your opinion that only $4 oil and $10 filters will keep a car running. I understand you wanting to put the best oil and filter made on your car and commend you for it. I also realize you have read numerous online lab tests that have convinced you of these opinions. I know you will never agree but it is POSSIBLE that other regimens will work just as well - only time will tell.
    had to say that, sorry.
    You can put a concrete bridge over a 2 foot wide creek too,
    don't need to, but you can if you want....
    Quote:"I don't get 200+K miles out of my cars by running the cheap stuff!"

Millions of people have. Confusing price and quality only wastes money. I keep my cars until they are no longer worth more than $1500. So far in 43 years I have had one Renault Dauphine that the engine failed. That had nothing to do with the oil or filter. It had to do with a piece of crap engine that was good for about 20000 miles. I have not counted how many cars I have had in my life, around 20 I would guess. But that is the only one that had engine failure, and I have never bought a so called premium filter, or high priced oil.

That said, Mobile 1 is a Champion filter, as is K&N. Contrary to your experience, the oil filter tests I have read have all rated Wix and Champion filters as excellent, and go out of their way to recommend them.

It's your money, spend it as you wish.
    I've heard other folks tell me that they thought the gaskets were leaking, but saw oil actually in the rolled seam of the can, nothing catastophic but they were leaking at the seam (this was all a while back),,,,mfgr (Champion) has probably taken care of it by now though I'm sure. Champion also made the AC Delco filters that used to be at Walmart, they were good too)
    I'm sure the Mobil1's are good filters, but as always, high filter efficiency has a cost----it shortens the service life of the filter because it DOES catch more particles...unless it REALLY has alot of extra media in it, it will clog sooner. It may do a better job, but it WON'T last forever(3-4k miles may be no problem but 10-15k miles???)..it will start bypassing when it causes enough back-pressure and then the filter game is over until it is replaced anyway...
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    "Those who use $.95 oil and $3 filters are just asking for trouble. You might as well take the money you're saving by buying the cheap stuff, and put it away for for that certain premature engine, or car replacment."

Are you serious? I guess I'll be as nice as I can and respectfully disagree, as several others have done already.
    http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html#mobil1

"Mobil 1

M1-301

Like the Champ filter, this filter is made by Champion Labs. However, it uses a unique end plate and a thicker can that make it the strongest filter available for wide distribution retail sale. It also uses a synthetic media, which inproves filtration and flow. I'm happy to say that this filter is NOT a fake. It is definitely a unique design.

It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and is very strong. It is rated just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter.

I have received many reports of these filters failing at high pressures. It seems that the seam where the backplate crimps to the case can split."

From the North Texas Acura filter study

http://ntpog.server101.com/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

"Comments:

The Mobil 1 appears to be of excellent quality. The Bosch, Mobil 1, and STP appear to all use identical materials and construction, with only the Mobil 1 having a different filter media (appears to be coated- darker color). I can't comment on the effectiveness or any additional filtering or benefit to the Mobil 1 filter, though Mobil 1 claims it's more effective. The pleat seperation/uniformity appears better than the or Bosch filter. The Bosch, Mobil 1, and STP bypass valve utilizes a stiffer spring than any of the others and a rubber seat/seal which should help prevent leakage. Check out the last pic for a shot of a used Mobil 1- this is a 1 month old filter with 1000 hard miles and conventional (non synthetic) oil. Let this be a reminder to you to change your filter regularly!"

• frulefrule Member Posts: 82
    I got 5 AC Delco PF59 filters at Autozone a few months ago.Then I saw a Walmart ST3675(Super Tech).It is IDENTICAL to the Delcos.However,there are 2(or more) versions of the AC Delco PF59.

I went so far as to cut open each(WM and ST).Needless to say,I'm using a $1.78 Walmart(with fiberglass in media).Since the filter is only $1.78,I'll need a new engine even sooner than the $3.00 filter users(bottgers wisdom).

They put the st3980 supertechs on sale and BOOM! I got em...paid $1 each...I'm happy.
    They are as good a quality filter as any I have bought in the last several years (I cut them all up to check'em too)...which means I've been getting ABF filters (Anything But Fram!!)...I do the 3k change thing with Havoline/Chevron oil. Some things require High $$$$ parts, some things just require VERY routine attention, which is what I put oil/filters/grease in that category.
    Only thing I can actually say good about synthetic oils is that it gives everyone a new bar to check out ....ever see a deer walk up to a fence, sniff it, then jump it?
    see ya
    If the filter costs less than 3 bucks, it's crap. bottgers said so.
    My understanding the media is different from Mobil 1 and has no fiberglass. I could be wrong though. Champion builds Mobil 1, K&N and Bosch and even the cannister thicknesses are different.
    Twice now I've changed the filter on a 98 Trooper without changing the oil. Tonight was the second time. First time, dipstick was about 1/4 qt low when I removed filter, and about 1/2 qt oil was drained by removing filter. Tonight, dipstick was about a quart low (must not have checked it in a while-- newer Troopers do consume oil) and only about 10 fl oz, just > 1/4 qt, was drained by removing filter.

I don't understand logically how these things work-- Does a lower dipstick reading at time of filter change explain why less oil came out when the filter was removed?
    I thought I was frugal. I could shove a piece of coal up any one of your butts and have a diamond in less than a week! I don't care what any of you say, cheap can be a good thing, but not when we're talking about motor oil and filters. But, use what you want. They're your cars.
    Actually, you've got it backwards in this case.

I am running Mobil 1 5W30 in this vehicle and Purolator Pure One filters. The oil had about 3,500 miles on it. A filter change can't hurt and might help. With 3,500 miles on the oil, I was either going to do nothing at or change only the filter. So changing the filter in the middle of the oil change interval is a more costly approach than simply letting the filter go the same 6-7,000 miles as the oil.

Consider:
    1) The vehicle is running synthetic oil; and
    2) All synthetics should be worshipped because they are the only oils that will protect your engine from blowing up; and
    3) ALL synthetics can safely go 10,000 miles in ANY vehicle without the need for oil analysis.

Therefore, I thought it was smart NOT to change the oil at such a premature interval (3,500 miles). #s 2 and 3 are straight out of your playbook, bottgers. Can you smell the sarcasm?

Seriously, I think changing a real synthetic such as Mobil 1 at 3-4k miles is overkill and that 5-6k miles is safe without oil analysis, but I'm not convinced that it's totally safe to leave a filter on for 6,000 miles or so. That's why I changed the filter.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I agree with you. Don't skimp on your oil or filter. Go with what has been proven and delivers results. There should be a theortical reason why its better too not just that you seem to get good results. The oil or filter may be some problems inside of the engine that you can't see or so slowly that it takes a long time to notice. It has to make sense.
    Do you refuse to believe there aren't any bargains in the world of oil and oil filters? Most of your posts suggest the answer is no, but then again, you are a WalMart SuperTech synthetic oil user which is just about the lowest-priced oil available that is marketed as a full synthetic. I don't get it.

Do you think you're getting your money's worth with an $8 Fram filter?

You ignore 90% of what people post on these boards.
    When you remove your filter and if the filter is --vertical-- the filter always stays full so whatever comes out (plus a little at the filter discharge) will -- not--- affect the dipstick level (the sump) in other words the dip stick level before you remove it (the filter) will be the same after you remove it. If you put it on dry (no oil in filter) the dipstick level will drop when you start the engine, because now the filter is full.

Key point: removing the filter and not starting the engine doesn't change level-if that makes sense.
    I had to read your post twice, but I follow you. The filter on my Trooper is a horizontal application, though.

Is there any logic to this: the amount of oil in the engine (crankcase?), as indicated by the dipstick, has an effect on how much oil is in a horizontally-mounted filter?

I'm just trying to figure out why I got so much more oil out the first time I replaced the filter vs. the second time.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    cheap and crappy are not the same, only 90% of the time do they go together. Crappy filters are usually cheap because they are made with cheap materials. Filters made of good materials are USUALLY gonna cost more. You have to use what works for you but if you haven't had it tested, you don't know if its hurting your engine or not. Are you willing to take a chance that your engine will last 100,000 miles less because you used a cheaper filter and it let the dirt wear the parts in your engine? Rely on test data.
    There are bargains, like when stores go out of business and sell their supply of Mobil filters for $1 each, that's a tremendous bargain!

SuperTech is the least expensive full syn I've found. I use it because it offers the benefits of full syn without having to pay $4 a quart. It may not be as good as some of the $4 oils, but I'm sure it's at least as good, and probably better than most of the dinos.

On the contrary, I don't ignore any of the posts in here. I just find it hard to agree with them when 90% go against everything I've taken in over the last 10 years or so about motor oil and filters.
  • rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    I kind of like that prior post about putting magnets on the outside of the filter, anything to help catch extra iron I think would be good.

I change oil on our fleets trannys on a regular basis and always see lots of irony crud on the pan magnet, usually takes 3 brushings with varsol and then blown off to get it all off.

Of course magnets don't catch dirt, but with a tight air intake of clean air there shouldn't be much coming down past the piston rings, right?
    Probably, the greatest oil filter in the world can't save an engine that has a dirt leak, even of the smallest nature. Gets to another question of what usually wears out first on the engine.
    I would say a lack of compression on one or all cylinders would cause the most chagrin for the auto owner, this usually being a valve face to seat problem, a) normal wear out b)lack of resetting clearances causing burning c) poor part quality d) dirt leaking into the intake air.
    Same dirt would affect piston rings and wear them to the point of causing a poor seal, causing low compression, poor power, oil burning, etc. How many people actually drive a vehicle till it developes a piston/main bearing/rod bearing knock from natural wearout?

What am I trying to get to? Find a good oil and a good filter, but don't forget all the other stuff like air filters and tubes, buy a quality engine to begin with, and maintain the valve clearances. To bad all this can still be wiped out by a sudden water pump or heater hose failure that cooks the alum. heads to warpage, etc.

Sorry for the rambling....
    Regarding bottgers' SuperTech "real" synthetic oil he says "but I'm sure it's at least as good, and probably better than most of the dinos".THAT is quite a change from your earlier position that ANY synthetic is better than any dino.

So,which is it gonna be?Your credibility is in question.

Maybe now we can get back to gaining valuable information from this forum.

I've considered the magnets,too.But why would metal particles not stay in the fiter without magnets?

I have seen metal on a drain plug,but I assume it collects the "fall out" from a long period of non-use(overnight).

I suppose cutting open a filter would tell?

adc100:the last Champion made SuperTech I got says on the box that it has a special "fiber-enhanced" filter media.I'm not saying it's the same as in a Mobil-1 filter.It's unlikely that it is the same.Nonetheless,it's impressive to have this media in a $1.78 filter!

Okay, it's better than ANY dino. I was just trying to make a statement without stirring up the pot again, but since you insist.......
    I agree that the Supertech appears to be a good filter. Like I said I like K&N, Mobil 1 and Supertech. Somewhere probably on this forum-someone came up with the "fact" that Supertech was only able to filter out 40 micron particles. I'm sure that was bogus information. (NOT UNUSUAL HERE!!).

bluedevils: There is no difference in the operation of the horizontal mount filter. Remember the filter is above the level of the sump and oil must be pumped from the oil pump into the inlet (little holes) and comes out the larger hole on its way to the bearings, etc. Problem with the horizontal filter is that you can check the dipstick level at night and in the morning the antidrainback valve under the holes leaks and your dipstick level in the morning can be higher. But in a perfect world the filter stays full and works just like the vertical mount. Another problem with horizontal mount you really can't fill them up with oil before screwing it on. I really think that engines with vertical mount filters last longer. (Speculation on my part) Notice how the engine clatters for want of oil every time you change it? Yet another reason not to change oil so frequently.

Later
    Al
    What's your take on efficiencies and the SAE tests.On the Super Tech box is listed both single pass and beta efficiencies according to SAE tests HS806 and J1858 respectively(at 99% and 98%).Surely these tests must reference a micron size,or they are useless.

bottgers:"Whatever blows your dress up".I'll happily use my Chevron SL.There.You can have the LAST WORD!

is that the referenced SAE spec. is only a methodology. So your comment is very true.
    You know as much as I've been grilled about why I choose to use SuperTech syn, there still hasn't been any explination as to what makes Chevron SL so desireable. Must be the marketing.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    If you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles you can put the cheapest SJ or SL rated oil and probably use no filter and you will still get 100,000 plus miles out of any engine.

Go longer, now that is where quality may pay off. Every 3000, I believe it makes no diff what you use because you are getting it out of there before any dirt or wear material builds up and is significant enough to cause premature engine failure and before the oil begins to break down from heat, shearing, etc..
  • malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    I put magnet on the oil filter of one of my Hondas. Nothing special like the type they try to sell for this special use, but pretty strong just the same. I also put a long one on the side of my wife's 2001 Explorer Sport Trac On Sunday. (as I just had to crawl under w/o raising it, I figured what the hell?)

I'm due to change the oil and filter this week and I think I'll cut the filter open to see if it snagged anything in 6 days. This really doesn't cost much and you re-use the magnets over and over. If it does catch anything the particles would have to be small enough to pass through any space that is between the casing and the filter element or pulled from the filter element itself. Just a thought.
  • rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    Yes, it will be interesting to see if you find any metal stuck inside the filter by the magnets. Please keep me posted.

If there is, it would also be interesting to know the particle sizes of this metal, to see if it would have passed through the filter media, back on another merry pass through the bearings, cam surfaces, etc.

It probably would be of the most use to have extra magnets in the oil pan, to catch all the settling metal when the engine sits still. However, too much hassle to remove pan occasionally to clean them. Hey, why not an oil pan with a removable bottom?
    A magnet would catch ferrous materials. But it will not catch the other metals, such as aluminum. I think you will find metal particles more of a problem in automatic transmissions than engines.

I have a 223 cu in straight six '57 Ford PU with 208000 miles on it (never overhauled, or even a valve job) that has had nothing but inexpensive filters, and for most of it's life Quaker State oil. Now it has Supertech in it, and a Motorcraft FL-1A filter. That was what WalMart had on sale at that time. I had the heads off, and removed and cleaned the oil pan about a year ago. There was no sign of metal particles anywhere, and the cylinder walls are smooth and shiny. It burns no oil, and has only a slight weeping at the back of the rocker arm cover. Even the rear main seal is leak free.

The only real leak is from the rear seal on the 3 speed transmission. That will be a very simple repair.
    Just think how long that truck would've lasted with synthetic oil!:)
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    About 30 posts back, you really ripped it. Now, I truly agree with your ideas on filters, but those harsh words about your Renault Dauphine-- well, I am sick at heart. Mine had some minor misgivings, but they were manageable. I overhauled it one time, in a carport, with a kit I bought from J.C. Whitney. I changed the middle timing gear in a blizzard, and fashioned a floor board out of plywood to keep my feet off the pavement. It would run a good 55 mph, anywhere, anytime. Now how could I not love that old rascal?
    Quote:"Mine had some minor misgivings, but they were manageable. I overhauled it one time, in a carport, with a kit I bought from J.C. Whitney. I changed the middle timing gear in a blizzard, and fashioned a floor board out of plywood to keep my feet off the pavement. It would run a good 55 mph, anywhere, anytime. Now how could I not love that old rascal?"

LOL, that brings back a lot of memories. Yes, they also rusted out. The whole front suspension fell off mine. Oh well, it didn't make much difference, the engine was shot again anyway. When the engine broke the first time, my father in law came out to tow me in with his late '50s Chrysler 300. He must have been totally crazy, because that was the only time my Renault got past that magical 55. In fact according to my mother in law who was riding with him (I was in the Renault) he was going more than 80. I was never so scared in my life.

I have also noticed the "simca" in your name. Another gem. You must have been a real glutton for punishment. :)

Quote frule:"Just think how long that truck would've lasted with synthetic oil!:)

Plus if I had used KN or Mobile 1 filters I'd never be able to wear it out.:-)
    The whole dang car cost $1295.Think we worried about oil and filters back then?Only question was whether or not it had some.

I remember our neighbors'Dauphine(baby blue) breaking down:) and four guys carried it to their back yard to "fix it up"!

Plywood floorboard!My '59 Studebaker Wagon had a cardboard floorboard(removable for summers-heater worked year-round;didn't heat worth a damn except in the summer).

It was quite the babe-magnet,with it's "vinyl tape" reupholstery job(previous owner used red,white,and blue tape in alternating strips on all seating surfaces).Ah,the good ole days!

How old are y'all?....I thought I'ws old, I'm 42...
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    The only Caddy I ever owned was a worn out old 1951 Fleetwood that my father gave me when I was in college. I tried that as a sign-in name for Edmunds, and was rejected as way too late. Rather than be Fleetwood86 or some such, I considered what car I had in the past was the opposite of a Cadillac, and I remembered an old Simca-- and Voila! Fleetwoodsimca was born.

As I recall, the Renault Dauphine was a mid 50's phenomenon, right? Mine was old and wasted when I got it in the late 60's.

And you know what? If the French import the current iterations of these wonder cars, I'll look with an eye toward buying. Some of us never learn!

Oh, yeah! The Caddy had one of those nasty cans with removable oil filter elements. What a mess! The pragmatic French didn't waste time with filters, as I recall...
    Amazingly,it was originally called the Corvette!Really!

The Dauphine however, was a four door sedan with conventionally opening doors, unlike the "suicide" doors of the 4CV. The wheelbase of the Dauphine was six inches longer than the 4CV, and the overall length of the car was 12 inches longer. The drivetrain arrangement was nearly identical to that of the 4CV (rear engine, water cooled, in-line four), but the engine capacity was raised from 760cc to 845cc, and the horsepower was increased from 19hp to 32hp. 0-60mph time was calculated by Road and Track magazine to be an amazing 32 seconds!
    Over the years that the Dauphine was produced (1956-1968), a few "high performance" options were available. For the 1957 model year Amedee Gordini engineered a version of the Dauphine with certain engine modifications that increased the horsepower about 20%, from 32hp to 38hp. In 1961 the Gordini Dauphine's horsepower was upped again, this time to 40hp. The Gordini Dauphine had special trim and a special green & black steering wheel to distinguish it from the standard Dauphine.
    The Ondine was a luxury version of the Dauphine sold during 1961 & 1962.

apparently the spec sheets on the Chevron SL compare very favorably to the mass marketed synthetic oils at a fraction of the cost. Sometimes one's questions are answered within the content of these posts, but of course no one should assume anyone would actually be able to extrapolate that from all the data that has been provided.
    are how well the oil holds up under driving conditions and how well it lubricates. For instance: just because the flash points of both a syn oil and a conventional oil(or partially hydroprocessed) are the same doesn't mean that that oil will not oxidize (break down)at a faster rate than syn. It is a well known fact that syn oils last about 3 times as long as conventional oils and longer than partially hydroprocesed oil. The lubrication effectiveness of oils are determined by api sequence testing which of course are not available on data sheets either.
    You don't even know what is in those bottles of SuperTech synthetic, yet you're happy as a clam. I'm glad you are comfortable with that.
    on this board. Adc, I was just trying to point out to Bottgers why every one of his questions may not be answered by direct response to him, and yes, the spec/ data sheets are for nothing more than a base comparison. An individual oil analysis is the gospel for each person's car. Now let's keep this discussion on the synthetic oil board.
This discussion has been closed.