Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy 1500hd 4x4 leans to the left (does not sit level)

skywalk22skywalk22 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
If you look at my truck from the back the whole truck leans to the left. The right side of the truck is at least 1" higher than the left side. Has anyone seen this before?

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    do you have a full tank of gas?

The gas tank is on the left (drivers) side. That will add quite a bit of weight

if thats not it it could be the torsion bars need adjusting.

Ryan
  • skywalk22skywalk22 Member Posts: 3
    The truck leans with a full tank and with an empty tank. Will the dealership be able to fix this problem or should I request a brand new truck?
  • ryanbabz71ryanbabz71 Member Posts: 10
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    but I just read in the Tundrasolutions.com about a Tundra leaning to the left. It wasnt due to the suspension (which would have been an 'easier' problem) but it was due to the frame manufactured incorrectly.
  • kirkkempenkirkkempen Member Posts: 14
    The dealer has replaced both rear leaf springs, but this didn't correct, or improve the problem. Their next step is to have a body shop check the frame with a laser measurement tool.
    The difference side to side in my case is about 3/4 inch. The dealer says the factory spec. is < 1/2 inch with a full tank of gas.
    I checked 3 other new trucks on the dealer's lot. 2 of 3 were perfect, the third was lower by 1/2 inch on the left side.

Please let me know if your dealer finds the cause.
  • stobarstobar Member Posts: 110
    Hey - you have the same problem as I! I just logged back on after not reviewing posts in about 4 months, but I posted this awhile back with my truck. I have a 2001 2WD 4D 5.3 V8 and the truck has the same lean, about 1" low on the left. I have had it 8 months now and am about to take it in for the fourth time. Started out having the rear leaf springs replaced - didn't fix it. Next had the front coils replaced - didn't fix it. Next they thought the rear axle was bowed - ordered a new one. When I took it back, they now say it is more than that. They said my drive shaft looked like it was sitting cockeyed (bowed to the right), and the transmission is sitting tilted to the left. This was another dealer and they refused to fix it. Just got off the phone with Chevrolet Consumer Relations and have a second file number for my case. Can anyone tell me how the vehicle buy back program works? They wouldn't even give me the name of the regional manager. I asked the Consumer Relations re if this person was some sort of a secret agent, and she informed me that he was the last step. She wants to make some calls and do more research. I'm getting a little I*I*Wed over this whole ordeal, but if they can't fix it, and it turns out to be a structural problem, I want a new truck. I'm starting to think that Chevrolet had a run on truck lean problems. Anyone else seen any posts regarding this over the last several months? Thanks.
    Barry
    Ryanbab - I am by no means a mechanic, but when asking others questions, I asked a body shop mechanic and service technician the same thing. I was informed that the new body style, or at least 2001 do not have torsion bars anymore.
    Barry
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    I strongly suggest not letting whomever told you that work on your truck!!!
    -- Don
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Since my 2001 has torsion bars, I would not even think about talking with that person again, let alone work on your truck!!!!
    -Eric
    I agree with stobar; my 2001 2WD GMC 1500 has coils up front; no torsion bars. (I just looked.)

Truck fix update:
    Today, with the dealers approval, I had a local spring shop tweak the left rear spring, to add a little more lift.
    The spring shop told me that this problem is fairly common, and not just with GM. Dodge, Ford, and GM all mount the gas tanks on one side, and the extra 2-300 lbs, (depending on tank capacity), causes some body lean.
    When upgrading springs for customers, this shop normally puts a little more curve in the tank side spring to compensate for the difference in load.
    In any event, after I got the truck back from the spring shop it is better; (now only 1/2 inch low on the left with full tank). I would estimate that it should be nearly level with the tank empty.
    I'm going to talk to the spring shop again tomorrow, to see if they can get rid of the last 1/2 inch. If not, I guess it's back to the dealer.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Sorry, since the topic is 1500hd 4x4, I was assuming we were talking about four wheel drive, as they all have torsion bar suspensions (GM that is).
    -Eric
    Eric:
    Ok, looks like we have determined that 2WDs have coils, and 4WDs have torsion bars. (Stobar's truck is also 2WD) With that behind us, my point was that:
    Yes, I have seen new GM pickups that have a leaning problem, and since we're really not sure what's causing the problem, and it appears to be present on both 2WD and 4WD models, let's share info, and maybe we can find a solution that can help out all concerned.
    Seems on the 4wd that alot of people just adjust the torsion bars to make the vehicle level. Sorry, but this doesn't help you guys with the coils out...

I also don't feel that adjusting the torsion bars 1 to 2 inches is a solution, only a band-aid...

Let me know what you guys find out. Thanks.
    -Eric

Sorry about the last post, I was kinda grumpy...
    Why apologize, Eric? The question was on a 4X4 board, you'd expect it was a 4X4 question; I did. All Chevy 4x4s have had torsion bars in front since '88 when they changed from solid axle /leaf springs (S-10s longer than that) and all 4X2 trucks have had coils in front since longer than I could possibly remember. The comment "I was informed that the new body style, or at least 2001 do not have torsion bars anymore." from a tech doesn't make sense in any case and I still wouldn't let those guys work on my truck.
    -- Don
    I kind of slammed them in the previous post, mentioning that it was a 4WD post, not 2WD and so on and so forth, then I went back and edited it, removing the derogatory comments. That was the reason for my apology. It isn't necessary to insult or harass anyone, especially a fellow GM owner. -Eric
    Yeah, you're right.
    -- Don
    Just to let you guys know, the spring shop was able to fix the sag on the left side of my truck by altering the left rear leaf.
    The left of the bed is now about 1/4 inch low, with a full tank, and about 1/4 inch high when the tank is empty.

I know this is not a perfect solution, but if you think about it, it only makes sense, that the left spring needs to be stiffer, to support the extra weight of the fuel tank.

The only other solution, would be to install fuel tanks on both sides of the truck, to balance the load.

Any other opinions on this solution?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    1/4 inch low full, 1/4 inch high empty. On my truck at least, '01 Duramax diesel, you couln't put a tank on the right side because the muffler is there.
    Kirk,

Thanks for the input on your truck. I just received my call back from Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I am going to take the truck in one more time. Since they noticed the driveshaft was sitting "cockeyed" and the transmission was at a tilt, I am going to hold off on informing them of your fix. Who knows, I may have worse problems. I will let you all know what I find out. And as far as the comment about the 2001's not having torsion bars, I'm certain the mechanic was talking about 2WD not 4WD. Sorry for the confusion.
    Barry
This discussion has been closed.