Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• naylor99naylor99 Member Posts: 23
    ygmn - Thanks! I am still a little concerned about doing this, but your instructions help. Questions:

- Does the tape apply directly to the glass?
    - What holds in the weatherstripping? (Are there holes, or a lip on some kind?)

I will attempt it sometime in the next couple of weeks, and will post the results. Thanks again.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Tape sticks to windshiel and the moulding when you re-attach the moulding...

The weather stripping is kinda squeezed into a groove...no clips or screws...to be gentle and spray with lube so it doesn't hang up and you tear it..

you can do it it is not hard to do...be patient and you should do fine.
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    The setup runs about $245. Just call them and tell them the vehicle you have. They are very friendly and helpful.

Having this even got me a few $ off my insurance premium.
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    I bought the Lund bug guard (Exterminator???) for $54 at NAPA for my 2002 Avalanche. It is Lund part number 18099 in smoke. It appears to use the factory mounting holes in the hood (came with five square "nuts" to insert in the square holes in the hood and mounting screws.

I've gone ahead and installed it but around 60 to 70 MPH I'm getting some noise that seems to be coming from the windshield? I've read about the Chevy kit coming with tape and following the instructions - but no tape, and no instructions.

Should I call Lund, dealer - or can someone share the directions (I read the summary above).

I love my Avalanche, took delivery about a month ago and it is just awesome. I set up a website - it's not commercial no ads or anything - I'm just a big fan and an owner.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com

The summary above should cover it.

I threw out my original instruction sheet from GM sorry.

Try Lund and see what they say.
  • metalgearmetalgear Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know if this is a class III or IV receiver? I want to get a draw bar and ball, I have nothing to tow but want to have it just in case. Any ideas on a brand name and also approximate drop down hieght for all purpose towing ,also ball sizes. I know this is a direct application for every trailering situation but I thought it would be a shame to have a heavy duty receiver and no balls,excuse me, BALL! THANKS
    I am not sure on the class but it takes a 2" x 2" square rfeceiver.

I set up the ball so it is about 17-19" from the ground. This seems to work best for me on most apps. There are some different trailors that may require different hieghts.

Also the Z66 has that level thingy fro towing and is pretty cool.
    I base that conclusion on the towing capacity out of the box. A stock 4X4 3.73 rear-end Av can tow 7,100 pounds out of the box. However a Class III receiver hitch is only rated for a max load of 5,000 pounds and a tounge weight of 500 pounds. With the 4.10 rear-end the same Av can pull 8,100 pounds. That means if you really did put an 8,100 pound trailer on the Av and it had a Class III hitch you'd rip it off!

A Class IV receiver hitch with a 2" X 2" opening is rated for a max load of 10,000 pounds and a tounge weight of 1,000 pounds. It is possible, although unlikely that the Avalanche has a Class V heavy duty reciever hitch which would allow for trailers up to what the 2500 series can handle. The part I don't know is does the 2500 get it's own hitch or not.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.eyershitch.com/hitches.htm

• naylor99naylor99 Member Posts: 23
    The question came up a while back, but I never saw an answer. I've looked all through the manual and can not find out what bulb type the fogs are. Printed on the bulb is "132 +38".

Anyone know? Thanks!
  • slayer69slayer69 Member Posts: 18
    I recently added a molded bug deflector colored to match Summit White, black head light covers, black aluminum billet grill, Z71 billet hitch plug, and a K&N FIPK Generation II Kit.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    those headlight covers off every time you drive after dark?
    Anyone notice bits of black carbon building up on the right rear lower gray cladding near the exhaust?

Did anyone install an exhaust tipto make the tail pipe protrude more out the side?

I hate a dirty Avy!
    The headlight covers stay on, so when driving at night I put on my fog lights which enable me to have enough light to drive and others to see me. The light from the head lamps is still shines through the covers, however the light is dim, therefore the fog lights must stay on for me.
  • whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    Will this fit on the AV or are the pipes
    bigger on the EXT.
  • hultzgerhultzger Member Posts: 9
    I called my dealer to ask them why there seemed to be a discrepency between the side steps offered on the gmpartsdirect.com website. He said that the individual steps(with the BVE option) are Tahoe steps. So I e-mailed gmpartsdirect.com:

<<I was surfing through your site looking for accessories for my Avalanche and may have discovered a problem. My local dealer in California could not find the following part number 15718561 & 15718562 for the Avalanche he said they belong to the Tahoe.

Is this correct?

BTW what does "BVE" stand for?>>

<<1631

Thank you for the "Heads Up" The part somehow carried over from the Tahoe catalog
    12497718 Running board plug. is the correct kit for this vehicle
    BVE is an option code for the factory installed running boards

thanks www.gmpartsdirect.com >>

So I wasn't going crazy! As of 9:30am PST they had not fixed the website. I hope this helps every one out.

Rick
    I am looking for mud guards and a light bar for the roof of my AV just like what is shown on the truck's brochure.
    You can go to GM Parts Direct. Here is a good thread on the subject at http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com in the community section under Avalanche Accessories & Modifications.
    GMparts Direct.

They install very easy but you will want to remove the tires to make it easier. Also the clearance of going over logs and curbs gets reduced because the Flaps tend to hit logfs after going over in forward and the noise it makes is scary...like they got ripped off!
    Where can I an exhaust tip that makes a nice deep sound and will fit my Av that has a 3" tailpipe. Everywhere I checked so far does not have what I am looking for. Also, I want it with set screws not weld-on.
  • frulefrule Member Posts: 82
    I just installed the moulded mudflaps from www.gmpartsdirect.com .With shipping,the total cost was $65.00.They fit perfectly and are a perfect match to the cladding.They are WELL worth having.
    IMO,there is no need to remove the wheels.Turning the fronts makes plenty of room.The innermost screw on the rear is tight for clearance.Instead of drilling the hole in the cladding at that position,I took a small nail,held it in a visegrip,heated with a propane torch and easily popped thru for a starter hole.
    It helps to have a "stubby" phillps screwdriver or an angle driver to screw in that screw.The rest are accessible.It took about an hour for the install.This is definitely easy enough for a novice.
    you didn't have to take the tires off???? The screw positions in the rear are just a little bit away from the tire. I am amazed that you did not have to take the tires off. The front tires turned makes it easy I understand, but the rear? Can you explain a bit more about the installation.
    I prefered to take my rear wheels off as to give me good access and make sure I had them mounted good and tight.

Also it was a chance to test out the jack supplied with the vehicle so if ever on a dark rainy night I know where everything is and how they function quickly so I can get going again.

Even though I will probably hit the ONSTAR button and just wait.....lololol
    I am looking for a grill guard the incorporates gray cladding which is shown on an Av at the auto show. It had the Av words on it. Please let me know where I can buy these guards, or very similiar.
    Check out GMparts direct.

They have it pretty cheap too.
    gm parts direct did not have one listed. I emailed them, but no response.
    Hmmmmmmm.

I saw a post at another forum that had the p/n.

Maybe that would help.

wait I will look for it.

List is $509.00

Double check for accuracy please but I hope this helps.
    thanks for the info. GMpartsdirect returned my email and gave me a link to check out the item. It costs $352.21....great price. Follow this link and it will show you every thing available for the AV.

http://www.gmaccessoryzone.com/bulletins/Avalanche_acc_hero.pdf

• frulefrule Member Posts: 82
    No need to remove the wheels,though it is an easier install with them off of the rear(fronts turn for plenty of clearance).On the rears,with wheels left on,you will need a short phillips driver of some sort(a "stubby" screwdriver,one of those "L" shaped screwdrivers,etc).Make the pilot hole as I described,with a small nail heated with a torch.It pops right thru the cladding at the correct angle(the cladding is what you attach to).

Then it is simply a matter of aligning the flaps and screwing them on(helps to have a 2nd pair of hands to align for making the pilot holes as that is the critical step).

The flaps fit precisely,so there is no guessing where they go or where the pilot holes need to be.I DON'T mean to imply it is easier to do with the rear wheels on,but it's not hard IF you have a driver that will fit in the close quarters.

• roger62305roger62305 Member Posts: 2
    I know I was concerned when I got my Av. about the blind spot to the rear of the truck.

I found a device that seems to be working great. It wont tell you how many inches you are from a object but it will tell you if there is any thing in back of you.  What is good about it too is that it uses microwave technology which means on the Av. it mounts behind the plastic bumper (on visible sensors) and it doesn&#146;t need to be clean to work.  

If your interested check out the site below.  

http://www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm
  • avalanchefngavalanchefng Member Posts: 6
    I installed the Escalade's instrument cluster in my 02 z66. It's a 5 minute swap out:

1. Remove the plastic dash ring trim;
    2. Remove the 4 screws that hold the instrument panel in;
    3. Unplug the only plug there is;
    4. Reverse the procedure.

It helps to have the steering wheel tilted all the way down and the tranny shift lever as far gown also.

After installation, every guage works fine --- even the tranny temp guage comes alive.
    to disconnect the battery. All it takes is to have something touch that shouldn't (it happened to a Friend) and you're looking at $250 or so to replace your computer module.
  • ahhnuldahhnuld Member Posts: 6
    When you replaced the stock cluster with the Escalade cluster, did you had any issues with the speeo reading incorrectly, due to the higher mph reading?
    the current Sport Truck magazine on this swap that isn't problem. For whatever reason the computer knows.
  • camille4camille4 Member Posts: 4
    Okay jcody1, you've added an amp and subwoofer. My thoughts exactly, but where did you run the power wire thru the firewall? Did you drill thru it? Does the factory radio have the RCA outputs in back or have you spliced wires? What dimensions did you use to build your woofer box? I'm undecided on using filler in the box for base or not to. I wanted to wait until warmer weather before I started experimenting, but the horrible sound quality is driving me crazy. Thanks for the info.
  • camille4camille4 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, check the new custom boards for the Av at Boards4less.com. This new nerf board is pretty sleek and doesn't protrude out like the other boards do.
  • kuba98kuba98 Member Posts: 9
    AVALANCHEFNG -
    Hey there where did you find the Escalade instruments and how much and how easy is it to replace?
    IF you have the website please post it.
    Thanks
  • idocpilkidocpilk Member Posts: 18
    check out gmpartsdirect.com They have them I think around $200 Ebay seems to have some at about 280 to 300...go figure. It is supposed to be a 4 screw swap that sound like a piece of cake. It even shows the tranny temp. Plugs right in. Go to chevyavalancefanclub.com...many posts about the accessories there.
  • kuba98kuba98 Member Posts: 9
    Hey thanks.....we also found a great site...

http://www.stylinconcepts.com. We want to put silver trimming around...and they have it and if you want more power to your Av without messing up the warranty on your engine they have filters that can boost your torque and speed.

Thanks
  • mdennishmdennish Member Posts: 16
    are there any benefits besides looks and the trans. temp. guage to be gained when installing the escalade instr. cluster such as trip computer,gals. remaining in the tank,average mpg., etc? thanks dennis
  • ahhnuldahhnuld Member Posts: 6
    Hey Mdennish,
    I have the Escalade cluster, and there are 3 things it gives you.
    1. Speedo read up to 120mph
    2. Tranny temp gauge
    3. Much nicer look with the chrome rings and rivets, clear needles.

Thats it, but I really like the look much better.
  • mdennishmdennish Member Posts: 16
    thanks for the info ahhnuld, i am going to purchase one thru gmpartsdirect and install it on my avalanche. dennis
  • johnnyhojohnnyho Member Posts: 6
    I just installed the GM chrome tubular side steps, P/N 12497719 - $705 list. Easy to install and look great. However, the fit was just a little off and I really hate the logo on the step -- it says "GM Accessories". Pathetic advertising. I would have much rather seen "Avalanche" or nothing at all.

The Avalanche brush/grille guard is just a little too aggresive, so I won't be dropping the coin for that.

I love the truck! '02 North Face Edition
  • mordantkmordantk Member Posts: 7
    Flowmaster posted their new exhaust for the Av. Has anyone purchased this? and What are everyone's opinions Flowmaster exhaust systems?

thanks
    since 1988 (7 pickups), great sound, great company.
    I am looking for a light rack for off road lites at my roof. I have a 02' Z71 with sunroof and luggage rack. Where can I get what I need.
  • avalanche93avalanche93 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I'm new to this, please forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. I'm in the process of buying an Avalanche and had a question/concern about how well the rubber mat in the bed would hold up. So my question is what, if any cons are there to having a spray in liner put in on the floor of the bed of an Avalanche? I saw on the Chevy website that there is a water management system built into the bed, so would a spray in liner negate the water management system? I have tried the rubber mats (of all thicknesses, up to about 1 inch) and have worn through or torn the heck out of them and want to protect the bed since I intend to have this truck til I go to the grave... Anyone done this or hear of it being done? I talked to the Chevy New product support and they didn't have any data on it, and local dealers are fairly clueless on the matter. Any help is appreciated.
    The only stupid question is the unasked one. :)

The only complaint I've seen about the included mat is that it's too sticky. Sometimes it can be hard to load things. Some people have installed the Bedslide. Personally, I like the mat. It seems thick enough for me.

As for the spray in liner, it's not required. The metal underneath is painted and coated. Be sure to wax it after you get the truck, and re-wax it every six months or so. Also, to be safe, follow the instructions in the Owners Manual: remove the mat and let the area dry every couple of weeks, etc. IF you do get the spray-in liner, make sure they don't plug any of the drains, seal any of the drain flappers, etc.

You'll love the truck. Good Luck!
  • houstonguyhoustonguy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who have posted here I decided to buy aa Z66! The vehicle is great and missing very little that I need except for coat hooks above rear windows so I can use a rod. Anybody know why the only hooks are right behind front seats on the grab thing? Anyone know of a retro solution?
    So you have the plug end of the pigtail plugged into the connector block under the dash? If so, the "bare ends" of the wires get connected to your electric brake controller (Prodigy, etc) wiring harness. If you're just towing a small trailer or boat (ie no electric brakes on the trailer, flat four pin trailer connector instead the round one), you don't need to worry about any of the wiring under the dash, the fuse, etc. The trailer lights will work "out of the box" without any additonal work.

Did this answer your question? If not, post some more info.
This discussion has been closed.