Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    Sorry, I thought you were refering to the connector under the dash.

Nothing needs to be done to the connector in the back bumper - it's ready to go. By "brake pin" I assume you mean the trailer electric brakes and not the brake lights. The trailer electric brakes pin will only get voltage once you install a third party brake controller, and then only once the brake controller is activated. Most all trucks need a controller to run the trailer brakes.

What type of trailer are you pulling? If it's a light one (pop up, small boat), it won't have elctric brakes. You can tell by loking at the wiring plug on the trailer:
    - If it's small round or flat and has only four wires, no electric brakes.
    - If it's big and round the the connector on the back of the AV, it has electric brakes.

If the trailer doesn't have its own brakes, you won't need to worry about the controller or the wiring under the dash.

I hope this answers your questiosn. IfF not, let me know.

Good Luck!
  • bullfrog1bullfrog1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone successfully added a CD changer to an Avalanche with a bench seat? The only spot I have found where I think it will fit is under the rear seats. Also, what is the best bug shield to add, there seems to be at least 3 different profiles to choose from. I read that some make noise (chatter) at high speed. Can't find anyone in this area with one on their Avalanche. I have used Lund products in the past but they have 3 versions. I do not want to put tape under the shield on my hood.
    Possible locations include loosing the glove box or putting the changer in one of the side saddle storage compartment (in a suitable weatherproof enclosure).

The noise from bug shields is due to the change in the airflow over the front of the truck. The windshield molding chatters at higher speeds. Most bug shields for the AV come with outdoor doublestick tape you place under the molding. It's not too hard to install.

Personally, I have the GM shield (the deal with the shield, four mud flaps, and window rain shields was too good to pass up). The shield tapes and bolts under the hood. Search some of the other AV fan club forums on the Internet for pros and cons of each shield.

Good Luck!
    I checked the price on the GM Shield (bug deflector, window deflectors, mud flaps). I checked a site called GMdirect and found although the price is less they make it up on shipping. By the way is the bra better than the bug shield?
    There are other places that sell GM parts, some cheaper than GMDirect. Due to Edmunds rules, I can't mention them. Search the Internet for Chevy Avalanche fan club(s) and you'll find discussions about these sites.

As for bra vs shield, I've only heard bad things about bras (scratchin, etc). I stick with bug shields. YMMV.

Good Luck!
    Has anyone added one of the rear object sensing systems to an Avalanche? I am aware of two systems, both look easy to install. I have not been able to find a supplier in the Western PA area who stocks the systems. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    My AV came with the EchoMaster (www.karbiz.com). The dealer installed it before I purchased the AV. It works almost perfectly. The only 'problem' I've had with it is it'll pick up a rough roadway (ie gravel) and give occasional false returns. It's not a constant return, so I just ignore the random beeps and listen for the constant signal.

I liked the system so much I bought one and installed it on my wife's car. Um, AFTER she backed into someone. :) The company is friendly and helpful answering installation questions. It takes about three hours total to install the system.

The other popular system in the Poron (sp?). I prefer the sound-only systems. I prefer to be looking where I'm backing instead of looking at a range indicator.

I'm not affiliated with Karbiz. I'm just a satisfied customer.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Hey guys! I have a Chevy Impala so I post over at the Impala Edmund's Board, but I need y'alls opinion on something. The Impala has a side Body Side Door Molding that's made of the same plastic that the Avalanche body cladding is made of. I hear some of you tried to paint it... how did that work out, how did you do it, and do you have any suggestions for me (should I try it or not?) Thanks guys, and tear up some mud for us car guys!!
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Those who have painted......Sand it smooth....primer coats, color coat, clear coat...they use special paint with flex additives....

Try your local body shop for advice..
  • drdeedrdee Member Posts: 1
    I have Two problem with my avalanche no one . they can not get my front wheels balance.They have replaced the front tire's but the virbration is still there any suggestion . problem no. two the rear window reflects everything in front of me including the dashboard has anyone else had problem like these if so I like to hear from you drdee
    search for avalanche fan clubs on the web....I bet there are some and they may have the answers...
    | no one . they can not get my front wheels balance
    If the tire is balanced and you still get a vibration, then the problem is probably in the running gear (front jack shafts, brakes, etc)..or the dealer can't balance worth beans. Have them check the wheel bearings, etc. Otherwise, have them take the truck to a shop that will balance the wheel while it is on the vehicle.

| problem no. two the rear window reflects everything in front of me
    Yup, a 'design feature.' Some people have mentioned this before. The only fixes were to adjust the height or position of your seat so you don't see teeh reflection, dim the dash lights, and so on.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    some Chevy Avalanche Fan Clubs?
  • blackavblackav Member Posts: 5
    Appears a number of positive changes incorporated on the 03 AV, based on what I've read and seen regarding the O2s. My daughter works at a local (Northern, VA) Chevy dealership. However, appears 02 owners, aside from a few complaints here and there, are still relatively happy with their AV. Consumer rating (as seen here) is overall very good (8+ out of 10). Another reputable consumer rating magazine gave it high marks too. I've had mine since mid January, drove it through some major snow in the DC area) and it performed very well. I've changed my exhaust to duals (one pipe behind each rear tire with decent chome ends) and added a mild sounding Flowmaster muffler. Sounds beefier (how I personally think trucks should sound), but does not detract from overall cabin quietness - aside from rapid acceleration. Add the K&N airbox too as increased intake and exhaust will help the overall performance. I bought the GM Avalanche logo bug deflector, vent visors, and mud guards, all which have added not only to the appearance, but serve a viable purpose. Vent visors can be obtained cheaper at Auto Zone or other auto parts supplier and are probably just as good. I also had LA Tint tint my two front windows with legal tint for VA. The Bilstein shocks w/Z71 off road package are very good and suggest keeping same when replacement time arrives - have them on my TransAm too.
  • gmoy25gmoy25 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Who makes the chrome side steps for GM? Part #12497719. I like the way they fit on the the Avalanche, but don't want to pay the $493.50+$75 for S/H(cheapest, I've found on gmpartsdirect) I checked all the popular makers, but the pics they have show it extended away from the body more than the one offered by GM. Thanks in advance for your help.
    G.Moy
    2002 Black Z71 AV
  • lockoutlockout Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying an Avalanche, but my big consern is the blind spot right behind the truck. I've seen a few good posts about the sonar/microwave sensors that go behind or in the back bumper, but has anyone put a camera back there. In my thinking it would be a little better than the sensors. What is your guys opinion about this?

Thanks
    People have added cameras......check around on the website some companies make them.....
  • rodrichrodrich Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone please give me instructions on how to take out the stock grille to attach my billet grill on to it?

Thanks in advance.
    Stockgrill is aplstci welded onto the front piece....look around the net there are pics of it.....and I know of a few peeps whowell used a solder iron to un weld the plastic....

Most billet grill kits go over the stock stuff anyways...
    Can my spelling be any more atrocious in post above......
  • imaniguanaimaniguana Member Posts: 19
    There are many sensor and camera products out there. I've heard many people are using a camera-type system called Snakeyes. Everyone that gets it put in seems to like it. I don't have one, so I can't speak from personal experience.
  • imaniguanaimaniguana Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone else here have the Bumper Flag? I won mine in a raffle. I love it! Looks pretty cool going down the road with the Stars and Stripes waving behind the Av.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    does anyone know of an aftermarket 'cap'.. same-same as a pickup cap.. that's available for the Avalanche

I'm in the market for an Avalanche.. have two 'burbans now.. but leases are almost over in a few months..

pretty sure I saw an Avalanche with a cap on the I-95 Interstate but going in the opposite direction.. haven't seen one with a cap since...

I figure some aftermarket company has got to have one..
    Snugtop only one so far (that we know of), only available through a GM Dealer.
    SNUGTOP is only manufacturer....you lose side bins....as cap sits on them
    got it from the other Avalanche board.... many thanx to txyank1 and ygmn :)

looks like more complicated than the average cap to install...
    http://www.campway.com/products/snugtop/xuv/install.pdf
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My way of thinking is if you're going to install a cap you may as well get the suburban and be done with it.
    that's exactly what my wife keeps saying to me especially after the price on that cap nearing $2K ...since we have 2 '01 Suburbans now it almost doesn't pay to go to an Avalanche.. after all they are the same-same essentially
    Not sure if you can fold the seats on a Sub as easily to use the 8' as on an Av (never owned one). But you can buy an Av cheaper with the better rebates and bigger discounts.
  • vending101vending101 Member Posts: 6
    Has anybody put a lift kit on their AV?

I'm looking at putting a lift kit on an 04 AV. I know nothing about lifts. One of the best features of the AV is the incredible driving performance and agility. Will this be altered dramatically due to the replacement of the parts etc...?

Also, I would like to put much bigger tires on the AV but it appears that there's not enough space in front and behind the tires in the wheel well. With the lift, I'll have enough clearance above, but will this help the problem of clearance in front and behind the tire?

If not, is there any way to modify the wheel wells/body?
    I have seen many pics of AVYS lifted....2wd and 4x4...

the ride will be compromised...but one canot say how much...

Good luck
  • greg3815greg3815 Member Posts: 15
    hey people i just brought me a pair of some silver star head lights an amber day time runnen lights an there is great diffenrct in the stock head light an the new silver star one they will cost you about 40-50 bucks an the day time runnen lights cost about 30 bucks u can pick these up at ur loacl walmart or autopart store ur avalanche low beam size is 9006
  • 2500av2500av Member Posts: 3
    THERE IS A KIT U NEED TO PURCHASE, UNLESS YOUR NEW CD PLAYER IS THE SAME DIN SIZE. IF U HAVE ON-STAR U WILL NEED TO PURCHASE AN ADAPTER THAT STILL LETS THE ON-STAR SOUND COME THRU YOUR NEW UNIT. $80.
  • 2500av2500av Member Posts: 3
    SHOULD HAVE WENT TO EBAY. I PURCHASED HID HEADLIGHTS, HYPER WHITE FOG LIGHTS,HYPER WHITE BRIGHTS, AND NEW SILVER COLORED DAYLIGHTS THAT SHOW AMBER WHEN LIT FOR $90.00 TOTAL.
  • mdenamdena Member Posts: 1
    i have an 05 avalanche and want to put on a k&n filter. does anyone know of any problems that can or have occured from this upgrade? please let me know.
    thanks
    Only if you OVER-oil it. Then you can screw up your Mass Airflow Sensor. Dealers frown on that.
  • rellufrelluf Member Posts: 1
    Well #1 you'll know the z66 come with 16in rims go figure that with a truck that size. so I want to up grade to some 20in chome rims. what are the pros and cons mileage, gas, and speedometer.
    #2 I got a 6 disc cd changer, where is the best location in the truck to mount it
    The Z66 comes with 17" rims. Base model has 16". If you use a lower profile tire (the norm) so the overall diameter stays the same, there is no effect on speedo. It may take a little more oooomph on the brake pedal to slow it down, as you have more rolling mass with the 20" rims.
  • courtmiestercourtmiester Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 chevrolet avalanche and am considering a 6" lift with a 3" body lift and 36" tires. I am planning on having this truck for a very long time. I am also considering a 6" lift with 33" or 35" tires. Does anyone know what kind of a difference I am going to have with wear and tear on the truck if any? I like the look of the 9" lift all together better but don't want to run into a bunch of problems. Also if the 9" lift is going to be hard on the truck what parts is it exactly going to be hard on and would it be really expensive to fix? If anyone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it.
  • crzyavajbcrzyavajb Member Posts: 1
    I have a white 4x4 avalanche 02 and i was thinking of doing the same thing. i was thinking of yakama rack but which one did you get
  • mjahmjah Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever tried to remove the rails that support the bed tops on an avalanche in order to hold a Quad ATV? Seems that these rails pertrude to far into the bed to ride a quad up into the bed. I was thinking of removing the rails, which will give me the five inches needed.
  • jmath53jmath53 Member Posts: 1
    I put a K&N77 on my avy and got better mpg and the growl from the intake is grrreat not to mention a decent gains in the mid range hp from the 3500 rpm up. It was easy to put on but dont try to put on a throttle body spacer it wont work unless you trim the tubing on the K&N. Good luck
    I'm currently running an Airaid tube with a K&N drop-in filter with similar results. Be careful not to over-oil the filter when you re-charge. ;)
  • ralphie2ralphie2 Member Posts: 7
    I added a K&N drop in filter, and a FlowMaster single outlet cat-back system. I've noticed a small increase in mileage and a noticeable increase in pick up. Has anyone installed a Tornado Fuel Saver? If you have, are they worth the $70?
    No, and by most accounts they are not. Maybe on a carbueratored engine.
  • ralphfralphf Member Posts: 3
    Okay,thanks! You're the only person I've heard from about those things.
  • gmastergmaster Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know if the 2007 Avalanche comes with a transmission cooler. I looked under the hood of one and it looks like it has the connections from the radiator to the tranny area, but did not get a close look. It comes with a hitch and most vehicle sold with a towing package do have the cooler. Anyone know for sure or do you have to have one installed. Also, what about a break controller?
  • tommylee83tommylee83 Member Posts: 1
    I desperately want the cady convertor that go over the bed rails (dont know the official name). I believe they are clip ons and you just get them pained at a body shop to make your your avalanche look more like an escalade truck. does anyone know what they are called and maybe a website name. I always see them on decked out avalanche trucks
  • c_murrellc_murrell Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for the same thing, and was wondering if you ever found those bed rails if so could you let me know where?
  • c_murrellc_murrell Member Posts: 2
    I broke the electrical connector that sits in the towing hitch. I was wondering if anyone know where I can find just the connector?
This discussion has been closed.