Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dex1dex1 Member Posts: 3
    Make that three. I just picked up my Avalanche this afternoon and when I got it home, there was a crack in the molding around the glass on the drivers side. Looks to me like it was incorrectly sized, heated up and cracked. I'm taking it back tomorrow.
  • cuss1cuss1 Member Posts: 17
    Will pick up an AV this Friday. From the GM literature, there appears to be a MOLDED and perhaps a REGULAR - flexible mudflap. I'll have the running boards and would like you opinion on which flap works best. I have used factory molded flaps on other vehicles and found they hold up great.

PS - getting a little concerned about purchasing the AV versus leasing now that I have read some of these postings. Any comments on overall quality and you general experience welcomed!
  • shawsvaleshawsvale Member Posts: 4
    I bought a Z71 Avalanche about a month ago, and I can easily say it is the best vehicle I have ever had. The dealer opted to install mudflaps for free and asked if I wanted the molded splash guards instead for $65. I got the splash guards because they matched the molding however, I regret this now. I went off road a few weeks ago and every rock and tree I drove over would catch on the splash guards and rip out a few of the screws. If you don't plan on doing off road I would recommend them.

I would reccomend purchasing because of the low interest rates available.
  • hurst3hurst3 Member Posts: 3
    I just took my Av into the dealer to check out why I'm only getting 13 miles per gallon on the street and the highway. They stated that the computer did not see anything wrong. I also had a load humming noise when I had my foot lightly on the accelerator pedal. They found that they need to order a Throttle Body! It only has 4000 miles. They stated that it is too new to be able to give me a reason for the poor gas milage. Does anyone think that it could be the Throttle Body that is causing the poor gas milage!!!!!!

Thanks Bill
  • robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    Hey Bill,
    I though that I had a problem as well with the gas mileage, I was having problems getting anything over 13MPG (Z71 Av). I thought that I was driving a good mix of highway and city (about 50/50). What I found is that most, if not all, my trips never exceeded 15 miles. This past week I took the Av on a long 500+ mile trip, all highway at 75 miles per hour average. The mileage was over 18.5mpg running with a full passenger load and cargo. My guess is that getting a 6000lb truck moving takes more gas that expected, but once rolling seems to do ok.

Bear
  • green22green22 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone else finding their new Avalanche to be an oil burning piece of crap? Mine used 9 quarts of oil on a recent 4000 mile trip. I actually had to stop more often to add oil than for gas!

GM's response so far has been embarrassing. First they made me leave it at the dealership for an entire day so the mechanic could "check out" the PCV valve. They would not let him order the "special" new valve for it until after this. On my second visit they installed the new valve which was just an empty PCV housing (no valve) with a smaller orifice.

After this, it started visibly burning oil. Before it just used it but didn't smoke. Now it throws a huge cloud of blue smoke when you start it. GM's response this time is to pull the heads off and install new valves (maybe just do the valves on one side). Basically, they are just guessing as to the cause but they don't seem to mind wasting my time and experimenting on my vehicle while they do so.
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    Green22 - I haven't had the issue myself, but I do know someone else who was burning oil with smoke at startup. The dealer had to replace the lifters to fix it. The truck runs clean now. Hope that helps. Snuffy '92
  • killer4x4killer4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Avalanche almost a week ago, and there just isn't enough time in the day to drive that thing. It is so fun. I got the 1500 Z71 with the offroad package and fully loaded. I also put in a custom flip down tv and vcr(wanted dvd but this was on clearence) and a playstation. I find the leater seets very comfortable. I haven't had any problems with the hood or anything else so far. Knock on wood.
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Took the AV in for its first dealership visit. They will align and balance tires if you have in excess of 500 miles but less than 7,500 miles under warrenty. Mine is getting both as we speak. Also, if yours goes into the shop for any reason, ask them to update the computer for the engine as there have been at least (6) upgrades since I purchased mine in July. They think I'll get a little better MPG with the updates and smooth the idle up a little.

Roger
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Per the dealer Friday, there have been no updates yet but they are comming out with one to address cold start-up on the engine. My AV was 1" too low on the left front suspension and camber was out some on the front end. I had noticed it would bottem over a severe bump on left front while driving and also the suspension bumper has been "hit" a few times. They did say that more than a few came in with the left side low on ride height. FYI

I had an ealier post about a "clunk" from the left front when turning sharply to the left. They found it as one of the cross members needed to be tightened and lubed. Mine is a 2wdr and apparently, all AVs are built on a 4X4 frame with 4x4 cross members. The 2wdr has an extra cross member and that was where they found the "clunk". All is well.

Both front doors were also adjusted to address a little wind noise. This too had been an issue on other AVs they had come back to the shop. Still a GREAT ride!

Roger
  • basicbluesbasicblues Member Posts: 9
    The AV I have is: Z71 Completely Loaded/Pewter 3.73, Roof Rack, Assist Steps (running boards).

I purchased my AV from a dealership about 100 miles from my home. On the trip back home from the "selling" dealership I started noticing that my AV was pulling to the left. I hadn't noticed this in the 10 miles or so that I test drove on the unfamiliar roads near the dealership. But as got closer to home and the roads became more familiar I realized the pull I was experiencing was NOT the "crown" in the road. I had previously test drove 4 other AV's without any noticeable pull.

After I arrived home I decided to wash the AV since it had been hit with a few bugs. I knew that washing it would give me a up close look at the exterior and reveal any imperfections. It didn't take long to find one. I noticed on the very top several little rust spots? I pulled back the rubber molding at the top of the doors and found rust and metal shavings. I immediately took it to a body shop near my home. It was too late in the day to call the "selling" dealership. I just wanted to know if the rust was coming from underneath the finish. The body shop inspected it and told me that they thought that something had just fallen on it during transit. After I showed them the metal shaving under the rubber molding they concluded that the metal shavings were from the roof rack installation. Some Johnny Jackleg at the "selling" dealership didn't bother with cleaning or washing the AV after the roof rack was "dealer installed". Leaving the metal shavings on the finish soon rusted and stuck to the finish good enough that general washing would not remove them. They tested removing a couple of spots with some 3M compound. The rust spots would come off with a little elbow grease. The body shop showed me what they were using and I went and purchased the same. I spent 6 hours the next night holding a florescent light 2 inches above the finish with rubbing compound correcting the problem. I didn't have any faith that the "selling" dealership could fix to my satisfaction and I wasn't going to waste my time and 200 miles to find out.

I had also been in contact with the "selling" dealership and Corporate Chevrolet concerning the AV pulling problem. I was still waiting on return phone calls when I decided I didn't want to "wait" anymore. I took the AV to my local Chevrolet "servicing" dealership. Told them about the problem. They said normally GM will not pay for a front end alignment until after 7500 miles to give the vehicle a chance to settle down after being tied down during transport. I told them just drive it and see what "you" think. They did and they decided to check the alignment. I thought this wouldn't be any big deal, but I just happened to be at the service desk when the alignment technician walked up and start talking about this AV that has a serious problem. I spoke up and told him that it was mine, he asked me to come back to the shop area so he could show me what was going on. The front end was not out of alignment but one of the rear wheels was off 3 degrees. He told me that there was no adjustment for the rear end and didn't know what to do about it. He said, I am not saying it can't be fixed, just that we can't fix it here. Needless to say I was about as furious as someone could be. I couldn't wait to get home to get on the phone with Corporate Chevrolet and scream my head off!!! I was ready to give this AV back!!! It wasn't long before I had several Chevrolet Rep's calling. They asked me to take the vehicle back to the "servicing" dealership to let them check it again and call GM with the specs. A few days later I carried the AV back. For comparison they took another AV right off the lot and put it on the alignment rack, read and recorded the specs. Put my AV back on the alignment rack, read and recorded the specs. GM wanted the "servicing" dealership to try this first before proceeding with anything else. They told them to loosen the rear end then re-tighten. When they checked the alignment again it matched the AV off the lot. After test driving my AV I can say that it's 98% corrected and I am not sure if the other 2% is my paranoia or the "crown" in the road. I still spend a lot of time driving without touching the steering wheel constantly "checking".

During all this inspection and testing I noticed the body on my AV was about one to one and a half inch low on the left side after viewing it on the level alignment rack. They easily adjusted the height by turning a bolt underneath the frame with a air wrench. Only took a few seconds. Just thought I would mention that in case someone else has noticed the same problem.

I also noticed that several times after start-up a cloud of smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't happen everytime but often. I mentioned this to the "servicing" dealership and they tried to explain it as steam or condensation. This was NOT condensation, it oil burning smoke! So they convinced me to "give it time to break in". Well at 2400 miles my "check engine oil level" light came on. I was out of town on vacation but stopped at a Chevrolet dealership to find out that my AV was almost 2 quarts low on oil. They added oil and told me to "give it time to break in" claiming that it's not un-common for a new motor to use a little oil the first 10K to 12K miles. Back home, had my oil changed by the "servicing" dealership at 3090 miles, oil level was still at full. Mentioned to them about AV being 2 quarts low, they told me to check the level after driving 1000 miles and again after 2000 miles and record any problems. 300 miles since the oil change, AV has NOT produce smoke at start up one time. Stay tuned on this issue...

Despite these issues, I am happy with the AV. I hope that everything has been corrected or worked itself out. Only time will tell. My 1989 Chevy K1500 Z71 that I purchased new and still have, has not had one issue concerning quality or craftsmanship in 13 years. So, I've been fortunate with this one.

I plan to purchase several accessories soon. As I mentioned earlier, I have the assist steps/running boards and roof rack. I was somewhat uncertain about these, but now after having them for a while they come in pretty handy. The AV is much easier to hand wash/wax. The assist step provide sure footing the entire length of the cab and the roof rack gives you something to hold on to. But! I haven't seen any AV yet that I didn't like...
  • swithinswithin Member Posts: 2
    I don't have an AV yet, but it's on my wish list. It seems to be the only vehicle that I could love as much as my 95' Jeep Wrangler. One rumour I heard regards the truck being water-tight. A comment by a dealer, didn't confirm this rumour but didn't quash it either. For those that have AVs and have run them in the rain, do you get water in the bed with the hard cover on and everything sealed? Does anyone get any water in the cab with the bed open but the midgate and window closed?
  • russiirussii Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Has anyone noticed a rattle in their AV at highway speeds? It sounds like it's originating at/near the firewall. We noticed it after the bug shield was installed. Sounds like 1,000's of bugs hitting the windshield, and is most annoying. Dealer said it's the mirrors-it's not. We also ruled out the bug shield, rubber flaps over the hood hinges, and the plastic screen at the firewall.
    Also-our hard bed cover leaks (pours) at the midgate in the car wash. There are also less severe leaks between panels and at the tailgate. Any ideas for fixes or dealing w/ GM?
    I had the same noise problem surface after I added the bug deflector and mud flaps. My mechanic said it is a fairly common problem with Chev's. The bug shield changes the aerodynamics and the trim around the windshield starts to rattle. He gooped a bit more silicon around under the trim and the problem seems to have gone away (I haven't driven it enough to be sure yet).

I guess all the propaganda about buying genuine GM parts is wrong. It doesn't guarantee you proper fit and compatibility with your GM vehicle. You would think that someone from GM would have taken a vehicle for a drive after installing this stuff just to make sure it worked. The noise is very noticeable and quite annoying. But on the bright side, they seem to be able to fix it fairly easily.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Included with the GM kit is double sided sticky tape. This is to hold the windsheild trim on the sides to the glass and stop them from making noises.

This was posted earlier and I when I bought mine from GM parts I did not install it at first. I got the noise. I then installed the tape and noise is gone. Hope that helps.
  • avalancheowneravalancheowner Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys. I'm looking for a source for the bug deflector for my new 2002 AV. Can't find one online. I've read here some of you have them.

I got the AV a week ago. Its a replacement for another. The first one had a bad (violent) intermittent clunk from the 1-2 shift. This was unacceptable and they fixed me up with another one with a few extra options, sunroof and roof-rack.

Is that sunroof noisy on all of them? There is considerable wind noise from up there before and after the roof rack was put on so its not that. Its like a hurricane when open at speed but still is loud when closed. Anyone else notice this?

The drivers door closes tight but has one pathetic sounding dull thunk sound. Whats the deal with that? I'm allways rechecking it to make sure it closed.

In 4X4 there is an awfull Metalic Grinding, yes Grinding sound, coming from the front when turning more than 15 degrees from center. Took it to the dealer and they said they first thought it was a big deal, then drove two off the lot and they were doing the same thing so..that means there is nothing wrong. right?. I've owned three other Z71s and never had this. Anyone else have this "normal sound". Its loud enough that it dominates the cab.

FYI and if you're interested. Idles smooth. Getting 15 MPG, 3.73 and at 80 MPH most of the time, Running at 19,500 RPM at that speed. Gets "on the power" at 2000 RPM and flies to 90 MPH really fast, makes me wish I had a 3.42 to get a little of that power down arround 75MPH. 2002 z71. Oil Preassure is at ~45 at idle, 50 at speed. Little leaking in the bed on the drivers side, looks like the second panel, No Big Deal. All the body lines line up fine and the hood closes like any other chevy I've had, easy.

Stearing wheel is off center a little but drives perfectly straight.

All in all, this truck Rules, Climate control, heated seats, rides smooth but firm. I'm going to use this machine Up.
    Thanks for any replies to the queries,
    AvMan
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    Plan on getting some of that 303 stuff for the cladding. But, what do you do with a scratch in the cladding?. The scratch is lighter than the natural color of the plastic. Looks like someone did it with a key or something, Any ideas anyone?
    For parts and accessories try www.gmpartsdirect.com They are a authorized GM dealer with a web based parts store. They are very inexpensive.

I have the sunroof and it is very quiet closed. When open and driving around town it is not loud but at highway speeds it can get loud depending on crosswinds.

Maybe it is sticking up a bit and needs to be adjusted. I think in the manual it tells you how to reset it by opening and closing in a certain order or something. Also check the wind deflector in front, it is spring loaded and kind of lowers as you go faster to decrease wind noise at highway speeds.

My door shuts great with a nice "thunk". Always shuts and fits great.

Z66 option so cannot help on front end noise. Maybe steering unit and/or front end joints.
    If it is a scratch then not much you can do but clean it and hope the color goes away. Since the cladding has a bumpy texture you cannot sand or polish it away.

If it is just a surface discolor from say a rubber bumper of another vehicle try cleaning with rubbing alcohol and/or 3M adhesive remover. Goo Gone, Naptha(lighter fluid) may work as well. Start mild and work your way up to harsh until the stain is gone.

Always check for colorfastness on an inconspicuous location. After it is clean then wash truck and protect with 303 or other UV protective product. 303 is a great product for the cladding.

Hope that helps!
  • sakendricksakendrick Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,

Pretty excited about my new avalanche. I find when the seats are folded down but the midgate and window are up, there is quite a bit of play in the midgate (around the middle bar). I would have thought there would have been a pretty tight fit. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with my truck?

thanks,
    scott
    Maybe you did not close the midgate hard enough and it is not fully latched. Try to shut it again firmly with the window out. Then reinstall window. To help have the tailgate open so the air pressure does not hinder the closing.
  • chevyagogochevyagogo Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. Anyone else have an Avalanche which leaks from the midgate/window area and get water in the cab? Did you have it fixed? Thanks for any tips.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    GoGo - no leaks in almost 9,000 miles and plenty of weather and washes. I pressure wash directly at the rear window and on the covers and I have not found any water inside the cab or the bed.
    Not one leak on my Avalanche. The bed has been dry as any trunk I have ever seen and I wash once a week and it has been raining buckets recently.

Under the matt I do get condensation. I say big deal and I wash it twice a year and wax as well..
  • kebuck54kebuck54 Member Posts: 1
    Dryer section of car wash took chunk out of plastic cladding on AV running board. Dealer says can't replace cladding of one board, have to buy new running board kit(about$700 bucks)to get the one piece of plastic plus labor to install. Went to gmparts direct after seeing this site mentioned on other threads here and found I can order just the cladding for one running board for $39 buck plus S & H.
    Not a shill for gmparts direct but if anyone runs into the similar problem, there are apparently are other options than the dealer. Plus they will sell you the complete running board kit for about half of the dealer quote. Understand why a web site can sell the parts cheaper: don't understand why the dealer wouldn't/couldn't order the part. Won't be using the dealer for any more work going forward.
    Had a Tahoe rear ended couple of years ago. Got to wonder how many unrequired parts the insurance company paid for in "kits" in that repair.
    SHEEZE thats seems expensive.

I always wash mine by hand. But I wonder if anything else such as trees curbs etc could damage it as well?
  • fhannesfhannes Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased my '02 AV this past Sunday. Of course, it had to rain the first evening to knock down that shine I had. The next morning, I decided to inspect the back area for leaks. I got em. Not too bad, but it came down the sides of the bed covers, which the dealer claimed was normal. The leak coming in the cab was just above the mid-gate behind the drivers side. The dealer said I could pick it up, the new seal was on order, and they would install it in about 2 weeks when it was received. This, come to find out, wasn't the biggest problem. Apparently, when the luggage rack was installed, the metal shavings were just brushed toward the weather strip. After I picked it back up, they had washed it for me and it had a few water spots that I was wiping up, when I made this discovery. There is rust all over the place behind this weather stripping. How many others have run into this same problem, and what was the resolution? Other than this, I've been extremely pleased with the ride, comfort, and functionality of my AV.
  • belljobelljo Member Posts: 15
    Oil consumption is on the increase...about a quart every 1000 miles, still smokes every morning...bad! Dealer will inspect next Wedneday...they don't seem to be very enthused!!
    Blame the rust on the dealer since they install the luggage rack. They probably did a crappy job of cleaning up the metal shavings when they drill the mounting holes in the roof. The rust should just be on the surface and should clean up with a good washing followed by using a clay bar then protected with your favorite wax or sealant.

Hopefully they applied primer or another rust preventative where they drilled as well. I would definately make the dealer aware of the situation and have it documented in case something serious develops in the future.
  • 2002avalanche2002avalanche Member Posts: 2
    I am having a severe water leak at the midgate/window which funnels water into the cab. This is a factory design defect. Even Avalanches' that were sitting on the dealership lot were wet in the cab. I have taken up the issue with the dealership, Chevrolet and the Better Business Bureau. Please check to make sure your Avalanche is not leaking too. If anyone else is having this problem or has any suggestions please let me know.
    Thanks
  • jcody1jcody1 Member Posts: 58
    I am pretty sure mine does NOT leak, but where is the cab getting wet? Carpet behind the back seat?
    thanks-
  • ropdropd Member Posts: 6
    Regarding your wind noise with the sun (moon)roof. I get the same thing. Kinda' like sitting in a vacuum with an air leak. It stops when I manually push up on the wind deflector. I'm gonna' check with Chevy about maybe increasing the tension on the deflector. Let you know what happens. Other than that I love this thing.
  • ropdropd Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem and did exactly what ygmn suggested. I had Chevy make a work order to document my complaint even though they took no action at the time. Not only were my rust spots behind the weather stripping but all over the top. Chevy said they would "clean up the roof" for me but I had just finished doing the Zaino thing, leaving just a small section with enough rust spots to get my point across. I really didn't want to have to re-polish over whatever Chevy used to "fix" the problem. And by the way, the clay bar works great.
  • 2002avalanche2002avalanche Member Posts: 2
    In my assessment of the situation, I have found that when water comes in contact with the rear removable window some of the water will get into the window track where the window sits. It then travels to either end of the channel depending on vehicle angle (particularly facing down hill). At the end of the channel the water enters the latch mechanism and travels inside onto the plastic paneling. Eventually pooling up at the bottom of panel, running off onto the carpet. A good test to see the problem yourself is to face the vehicle down hill (approx 20% slope) and liberally spray water onto back window simulating rain (not flood conditions). Also have your rear seat folded down. You will see the water drip on the plastic paneling and pool up at the hinge points at the bottom of the door. I would like to say this again, I saw this same problem on a brand new un-sold Avalanche parked level on a dealership lot. I feel that I have noticed this problem more so than others because I park outside pointed down hill-GOOD LUCK.
  • gopackers1gopackers1 Member Posts: 2
    Mine leaks too. This is happening on the drivers side. I think I found the problem. The gasket that seal that side is attached under the front removalble panel. The gasket looks like it is not straight. When the panel is attached to the bed it pushes the gasket away from the window.
    Haven't taken it to the dealer yet
  • hburresshburress Member Posts: 1
    Every morning on a cold crank, my avalanche is blowing a lot of blue smoke. Very embarrassing - anyone else had the same problem? Any solutions?
    Going back to dealer next week.

Any info would be appreciated.
  • investedinvested Member Posts: 36
    I was showing a friend how the truck converts and when I went to remove the rear glass I noticed where the 2 arrows line up. the one on the plastic molded to the glass and the other arrow on the plastic lower portion of the midgate. Well the arrow molded on the glass had split. The plastic frame cracked and separated from the glass. Well I will have to bring it in for a new rear glass assembly. Has anyone else seen this?
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Mark - the splits around the rear window have been reported previously, but usually in the corners. Have your dealer check it out.

With the first single digit weather we've had recently, I've noticed the cladding pulling away from the door on the two rear doors. The sealing strip is stretched and half attached to the door and half to the cladding. Anyone else seeing this?
  • dvdguruismedvdguruisme Member Posts: 1
    Well Avalanche fans, the Chevy Avalanche has it's first official TSB on file. I was told about this when I took delivery of mine on Christmas Eve.

Seems a lot of folks are getting some wind noise at highway speed if they have the sunroof and the roof rack installed. This same problem has been heard/observed on the Trailblazer.

The solution is to take your forward rail and be sure it is at least six inches behind the sunroof (about where the second door starts). This will eliminate the whistling noise. When you need to use the rack simply move the support forward to where ever you need it.

I've never experienced this noise - but the dealer set my rack to this position before I left, and my salesman told me why.

Hope this helps some folks.

On the subject of water leaks - ran my Avalanche through a high pressure touchless carwash. Yup, a small amount of water got in between the liftgate and the third panel - but nothing serious. No water in the cabin or through the midgate.

For the person who had their running board damaged in the carwash. To the best of my knowledge - the carwash should be liable for the repair as this is a manufacturer approved option available at the time of purchase.

Good luck!!!
  • chevyagogochevyagogo Member Posts: 2
    Mine leaks to. Dealer said they inserted something into the weatherstripping. I say nonsense. Still leaks. Anyone have a solution?
  • belljobelljo Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have a fix?? Every morning upon cranking this 1500 up....it smokes like the whatever....major blue smoke for 20 seconds then all is well. Only does this after a trip to work, 100 miles, never around town. Is the PCV replacment the true fix??
  • jcody1jcody1 Member Posts: 58
    I have 4300 miles now on my AV and Iy still smokes occasionally on start up. The weird thing I have noticed is that the smoke happens more after restarting a warm engine, rather than a cold start. My oil consumption problem has seemed to go away. I have 1200 miles on this batch of oil and the dipstick still shows a full oil pan. The dealer wants to see my truck again- I guess they are going to change the PCV? Not sure?
    I've had the same problems with oil usage and lots of smoke (see posting #57). They ended up replacing all of the lifters (not the valves as I had thought before) with "special" lifters with a bigger hole through them.

That seems to have stopped the problem although I'm not comfortable about having a vehicle with different PCV and lifters than all the others on the road. I know of one other vehicle purchased at the same dealer which had the same problems. Apparently both of our engines came from the same Mexican plant on the same day.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    I have had my tailgate open twice now by itself when going around corners. When it happens, it make a loud noise and scares the crap out of me. I thought that I had hit something. After I calm down and look in my rear view mirror I noticed that it was the tailgate. On both times, I believe it was because I did not shut the tailgate properly.

Anyone else having this problem?

Dennis
    Mine works fine and has never opened on accident. I bet the strikers need adjusting.
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    Dennis, mine has worked fine. I have had several occasions when the gate would not lock and just needed to close harder to solve problem. Your experience will reinforce my "check" of being sure that the gate will lock.
  • jlj7jlj7 Member Posts: 5
    I also had my tailgate fall open on it's own. And yes, it did scare the crap out of me. I noticed that when I would close the tailgate it would not properly latch on the left side. Now when I close I push mainly left of center and always check (by pulling) to ensure it is closed tight. Since then I have not had any problems. I have not checked to see if any adjustments could be made to the latches nor have I taken it to the dealer. Hope this helps
  • imaniguanaimaniguana Member Posts: 19
    I initially had a problem with locking the gate after closing it. Although, I would turn the key to lock it, I could not get the key out. It seems it was not completely latched on the strikers. Instead of pushing it shut from the middle, now I apply pressure to the outer left and right sides of the gate. This works like a charm now.
  • chrisntamchrisntam Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up our Z66 with the sunroof (without the luggage rack). While driving at 35 to 45 mph with the sunroof open, I get a weird air pressure effect on my ears. The air seems to reverberate and it makes a fluttering noise. When I open a side window, the reverberation and noise stops. I have the factory air deflector and it doesn't seem to make a difference what the height is. Any other sunroof owners getting this???
  • ahhnuldahhnuld Member Posts: 6
    I have a Z71 with the same sunroof setup. Your deflector that pops up cuts that pressure you hear. Push it forward/up with your finger next time and see if the pressure subsides. If so, the spring that pops it up may be weak or need replacing.
This discussion has been closed.