Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Accessories and Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Hyundai
What have you added and/or changed to your Elantra?

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I got the dealer to throw in new mud guards for free when I bought my car. The salesperson said I could bring the car back in two days and they would install them for me for free.

I came back in two days, as the parts had just arrived, but decided to put them on myself. How hard could it be, right? I'd already done this on the 1999 Protege ES my wife now drives, and it was pretty easy.

Wow! I tried to install one of the rear mud guards and could not get all three holes to line up with the fender holes. Very strange. I wonder if I got mud guards for the 2001 Elantra GLS instead of the proper part for my 2001 GT.

Anyone else have problems installing mud guards on a late-model Elantra?
  • dbrowdydbrowdy Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, compensate, mine came installed.

Anyone have any experience/ideas with installing fog lights?

D
  • triumphtripletriumphtriple Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have a cargo net installed in their GT? I asked for one as part of the deal on mine, and the dealer really didn't know what I was talking about. They threw in a net, but no way to anchor it, etc. (I think it came from a Jeep Cherokee or something). Any ideas on how to install?
  • elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    We talked our rep into getting us the floor mats and cargo net for free. He was nice enough to finally bring by our floor mats last week along with the cargo net. When he tried to install it, he noticed there were no anchors also. He used his cell phone and called the parts dept. at the dealership and they said that there are anchors specifically for the GT that has to go along with the net to be installed correctly. He called and said they should be in early next week and will come out an install them. If I remember, I'll post and let you know where/how to install it.
  • pigbagpigbag Member Posts: 3
    I have the Elantra, GAS. I got the cargo net for it. It came with the net, and plastic hooks for installation. There were directions which applied to several different Hyundai's. Depending on the Hyundai, you would use different hooks. Essentially I had to remove a plastic "knob" on each side of the trunk wall. I screwed in the correct hooks and attached the net. It only attaches on either side so it sort of just hangs across the width of the trunk. It shouldn't be that much different on the T. The procedure should be roughly the same.
  • tc22tc22 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone install window visors ?? What kind? How do you like them?
  • triumphtripletriumphtriple Member Posts: 10
    Would you happen to know what the part number is for the cargo net and anchors specific to the GT?
    My dealer is in the dark about this because the car is so new on the east coast (at least in Florida, it seems....).

Thanks.
  • elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, no part numbers. I didn't buy them so I didn't receive an invoice for it. BTW, I'm in Central FL also. I'll try to call the dealership and get the correct parts numbers for everything and if you close, you can go to my dealership and order them in.
  • gmcbride73gmcbride73 Member Posts: 6
    I have a set of window visors from HDKautosport.com They look great! Better than the Ventvisor brand ones, no lip on the edge, looks cleaner. If you order them be ready to wait a little to get them, he said he could get them in a week but it was really 3weeks. He gets everything direct from Korea. Check them out good when they get there too, I ordered a set for my Elantra and My Rio and Two sets for the Rio came to me damaged.

G
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Got the dealer to throw it in on the GT with mud flaps. Guess they had the parts.
  • nuanceglsnuancegls Member Posts: 16
  • nuanceglsnuancegls Member Posts: 16
  • rbeaudinrbeaudin Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone ordered from this site? Would like some feedback before I place the order since they don't supply an address on the site, only a phone number....
  • jillymariejillymarie Member Posts: 14
    Any one know if the spoilers shown there will fit the GT? It doesn't specify...And where do I find the paint code for my GT (cobalt blue)?
    Thanks!
  • joehyundai1joehyundai1 Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone tell me if they replaced the rear deck speakers? It appears the whole deck has to be removed to upgrade these speakers.

Also, has anyone replace the factory radio? If so, was it a problem?
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    I saw on the british hyundai website that there was a factory spoiler avaliable on the GT, not sure about the color blue. It looks kinda like the one for the galant. I also replaced my stereo head unit, due to the shape and contour of the center stack the techinician was not able to mount it correctly into the dash. My install sticks out about a quater to half an inch from the plane where the original stereo was flush with the climate controls
  • lharvillalharvilla Member Posts: 3
    I have a question, not sure if anybody can answer it ...

I'm considering modding my 2001 GLS by going over to plus-sized wheels and wider, lower-profile tires. My question regards the stock 15" x 5.5" wheels. Does anybody know the offset measurement for these wheels, or who manufactures them for Hyundai? I've already tried numerous sources throughout Hyundai, and nobody seems to know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)
  • griffin70griffin70 Member Posts: 2
    Iharvilla, I can't answer your question but, I'm looking to replace one wheel (and tire) on my 2001 elantra so if you're selling, let me know at jcimato@juno.com.

In the meantime, good luck with the upgrade!
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    there is a recent post on the hyundai 5door forum that has someone that replaced the wheels with 17" low profile wheels . you might want to surf over there and read about it .
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    If you go to www.tirerack.com they have a neat feature where you can pick out different wheels that fit your car and see what they look like on your make and model. You can even select the correct color of your car.

I'm going to be switching to some 17" wheels and lower springs for my GT soon if I can talk the wife into it.

Good luck!
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone had an XM radio installed in their Elantra? Ayy good? Is it worth it in terms of sound quality? music variety?

Would appreciate comments

Dave
  • lharvillalharvilla Member Posts: 3
    I made a post here about a month ago in regards to larger wheels and lower-profile tires on a 2001 Elantra GLS. Since that time, I have found much of the information myself, and I'm posting it to see if anyone else might benefit. I think this info would also apply to GT owners; to the best of my knowledge, GTs and GLSs come from the factory with the same tires and wheels.

In any case, the stock tire is the Michelin Energy MXV4, size 195/60R15. These tires are mounted on Hyundai-manufactured wheels; the diameter is 15", the rim width is 5.5", and the wheel offset is 46 mm. (You might hear tire-dealer reps refer to "back-spacing"; this is a slightly different way of measuring where the lug mounting surface of the wheel lies. Elantras have a back-spacing of 4.561".) Finally, the Elantra's lug pattern (another important consideration in wheel buying) is 4-114.3 (that is, 4 lugs, each 114.3 mm apart). You may also see it spec'ed 4-4.5; that's just the spec in inches rather than millimeters.

I've done quite a bit of math on the conversion to larger wheels and lower-profile tires. Depending how much or how little tire/wheel you want to see, you have the option of going to 16" or 17" wheels. I'll detail the first option in the next paragraph.

If you go with 16" wheels, you will want 205/50R16 tires. I would suggest going to a 7" rim width on the wheels; it will allow the tire to sit a bit wider on the road, and the car can still accommodate it. As for the wheel offset (most non-OEM wheels include it in their spec), anything above 38 mm is fine. You can go to a 35 mm offset, but you'll end up with the tires sticking out of the wheel wells like in the ghetto. :) Your speedometer and odometer will take on about minus 0.6% error (that is, you will indicate 1006 miles for every 1000 actual miles driven, and your speedometer will indicate 65.4 mph when you're actually driving 65 mph).

With 17" wheels (and this is the way I'm eventually going to go), you want 205/45R17 tires. It is almost impossible to get 205/45s without a Z speed rating (at least 149 mph). Stick with the aforementioned 7" wide rims and 38 mm or greater wheel offsets. This way, you end up with plus 0.2% instrumentation error (998 indicated miles in 1000 actual miles, 64.9 indicated mph at 65 actual mph).

You can't go with 18" wheels on the Elantra, simply because it requires tires too wide for the car to keep the instrumentation correct. That said, if you could do it, 225/35R18 tires would give you an amazingly small error, only around 0.04%. That's less than half a mile off in 1000 miles, and negligible on the speedometer. But you can't do that, because you'd be rubbing the struts on the inside. Ten miles later, your new tires would be ruined. :)

One thing to keep in mind about going to low-profile, Z-rated tires is this downside: You will not get a treadwear warranty from the manufacturer, and you can expect at best 30,000 miles on these tires -- and that's if you're nice to them.

Hope this helps people.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That was one of the most useful and informative posts I've ever seen on an Edmunds board. Thanks for taking time to do the research and post your results. It will come in handy to me someday when my OEM tires wear out and I look to upgrade with alloys and bigger tires.
  • sknapp66sknapp66 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a rear spoiler for a 2002 Elantra GLS? HDK Autosport has two, one which it says is genuine Hyundai for $210. Are they a good company to deal with? Any other suggestions on where to find one? I checked with the dealer and they want $300 for the spoiler, so HKD is looking good.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Today when I purchased a K&N airfilter for my 2001 Elantra the salesperson made a suggestion that I have not heard before. He told me that the air box that is used on the Elantra and most other cars is very restrictive. He said that to get the best out of the K&N that I should drill four to six one inch holes in the bottom of the factory air box. He said that he did it to his car and it increased his mileage and horsepower. Has anyone heard of this?
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    hmmm if you drill holes in the airbox that would change the amount of air going in . but my question is is how does that effect the computer that runs the air to fuel mix ?. will that throw it off leading to other problems.? i am not a real wrench so i have no idea but being that cars are all run by computers now and they are set to run at specific levels wouldn't adding more air to the system throw it all outta wack ?.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    I just received my B&M short shift kit and its gotta be the best mod I have done yet. I thought everyone on this board should know about it. I heard about it on Hyundaiperformance.com. Took me
    about a half hour to install. They claim the reduction in throw is about 40% and it feels like it. The shifter feel is now solid. Cost of the kit was $119.95 plus ship. To order call 1-877-472-3278 and ask for Chuck. Name of the company is RC Performance Products. I have no affiliation,just a happy customer.
    What did you have to do to install it? I think I'll get one for my 2001 GLS.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    The whole install is done from inside the car. Basically you remove the shift knob (unscrew),remove the shift console cover. Now with the shift tower exposed disconnect the two cables,remove a push-nut and a pin. Now you can open the top of the shift tower and lift out the stick. Install new stick after lubing it and reassemble. Tools required...needle nose, flat tipped screwdriver, hammer and an 8mm punch.
  • nevdesignnevdesign Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to replace the stock CD player in my 2002 Elantra GT. First I want to know if there is any way to hook up an mp3 player to the stock radio. Second, does anyone have suggestions as to brands for a new stereo. I'm looking for either one that has mp3 playback capabilities or is low in price and has an aux connector.
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    Having a 7" K&N conical filter laying around (new) I decided to make an adapter, and remove the airbox. I've got it all made up, but haven't installed it yet. Looks very nice, and will 'plug' right into the air hose that goes into the stock airbox.
    Does anyone know where the MASF sensor (if any) is on this engine (2002 GT). How about the warranty.... will this void anything? I don't know if this will make much difference, but I had the time, filter, and some knowledge from 5.0 mustangs. Eventually I will make a box, and feed it with cool air from behind the left wheel well. As it is right now it will sit low behind the battery with a heat shield.
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    It's my understanding (and take that for what it's worth. My accuracy stinks lately) that starting with the 2001 model, the Elantra no longer has a sensor. The gearheads over at hyundaiperformance.com say you can just hook a new filter (or better yet, a whole cold air intake) and go.
  • uz2bphastuz2bphast Member Posts: 12
    The sensor if there is one is behind the throttle body (I believe it is a MAF). You sould be able to hook up the K&N without problem.
  • dlaing1dlaing1 Member Posts: 17
    I just had an Aiwa MP3 CD with auxillary input installed in my 2002 elantra. There were no 'up' charges for installation. I also had window tinting and Polk speakers added. The radio reception is about the same. I put 6.5in polk dx series in the front and 6x9in polk ex series replacing the rear. I should have gotten dx front and rear, as the dx reproduce much more of the music. I almost purchased Infinity speakers which are a little easier listening than the Polks which are very loud and clear, but slightly harsh to the ears.(just my opinion) I still have yet to burn a CD full of MP3s. Price was $611 installed with window tinting(5rear windows), speakers and deck.
  • goofy10goofy10 Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking for new speakers for my 02 Elantra. I like my music loud and with a lot of bass. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone done this to their Elantra. I don't really wanna go broke with this ... I'd like to stay under $500 if at all possible.
  • msmollin2001msmollin2001 Member Posts: 5
    The elantra speakers are a weird combination. The ones in the front especially. The 6X9's in the rear are more standard. Preferably buy something non-Sony. My experience with their XPlod speakers has been poor. The plastic build quality is shabby, and any amount of power put through them causes them to buzz. My friend actually blew his out, and pieces of plastic came flying out the speaker grill. I've had excellent luck with JVC and Pioneer. Both have excellent speaker sets for the rears for about 140 bucks. The fronts will require you to shop around, because of the funky size. Next thing I buy for the car is a shop manual from the dealer.
    power fold outside mirrors.... now if only i could get them painted to match my car for free...
    they actually make them... sold by hdkautosport.com
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I've noticed with more bass the door panels vibrate. Maybe I'm just very picky, but the GT's TWO screws holding the rear of the panels is way to little!! I'm considering pulling the front door panels and lining the door with foam or RTV to solve this problem. That's just with the stock radio! Unless you can't hear it over your eyes shaking in your head I'd consider it!! :)
    no matter how many screws you put in your door it will vibrate to the bass... you can dynamat the inside of your doors to reduce it... but it wont go away.. not even in a 70k Jag or benz for that matter

btw 18's can be had.... 205/35/18 they do make that size but you can expect to fix your rims every week if you drive in a pothole infested area like NYC
    max width that will fit w/o rubbing is 215... if you dont drop your car
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    The Elantra has a crappy airflow system and k&n filters wont solve anything or help as a matter of fact

the best way is to just take out the air box and plug in a cone filter which i would suggest if you only want to spend $15-30. the cone filter will increase a little throttle response, give it a little more growl after 4K rpms and gives you a nice 0.5-1 wheel hp or if you want better performance you could get a cold air intake from www.sharkracing.com these guys have alot of hyundai aftermarket
    the cold air intake should give you 2-3 whp and i guess 5-6 at the crank
  • goofy10goofy10 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone put a CD changer in their Elantra? Did you have get a totally new head unit and the changer or just add the changer?
  • pewter2002pewter2002 Member Posts: 9
    I have an AOS intake (Art of Speed) which I like very much.
    I've had it for about four months now. It wasn't my first choice for an intake, since the filter sits about 6 inches below the battery tray
    rather than the fender-well. The fender-well theoretically gets cooler air. I got around that problem by using heat shielding...creating a chamber around the cone filter that discourages the intake from drawing from anywhere but under the car. The "chamber is funnel or sorta bell-shaped and doesn't touch the sides or bottom of the cone filter. There are a few intakes that seem on the verge of coming out but I got tired of waiting for em. KORE's isn't ready, but was supposed to be months ago, I don't think Injen's will be any better than the AOS intake just pricier, and I'm not even sure if Sharkracing has one available at the moment for the new Elantras. No one has ever dynoed the various intakes together (to my knowledge) to see if one is really superior to another. The AOS intake gave my car a definate top-end power increase, but the acceleration off the line was unaffected. What DID improve the low-end acceleration was the Sportone free-flow muffler w/ mini-tip and also the Unorthodox Racing under-drive pulley. The car is substantially faster after these mods, and sounds nice to... only slightly louder but the sound is pleasant, mellow and sporty. The dealership did not make an issue of the mods when the clutch was re-placed at 16,000 miles, but did try half-heartedly to blame the intake for the Throttle-position sensor that went out last week. I explained that the AOS intake was manufactured for the car, not a one-size-fits-all product. I also mentioned that it was professionally installed and that I had had it for several months without any problems or even a CEL. They backed off and replaced the TPS no charge. The car runs beautifully with these mods, all the accessories work normally, and has never thrown a code of any kind. The dealer had no explanation for the clutch, decided that it must have been a factory defect/install problem. Every mod on the car has been professionally installed, even the ones I can do myself, to help protect my warranty to some extent. I have taken the intake on and off several times, but the original installation was done at the same "performace' shop as the other mods. They even installed my after-market fog-lamps. I DID feel safe to leather-wrap the wheel and hand-brake though! There are seat-covers and dash-cover as well. Sorry for the long post,
    but the question of modifications is tricky and can bring up all kinds of concerns.
    It sounds like the addition of the Sportone free-flow muffler and the Unorthodox Racing under-drive pulley gave your Elantra a lot more off-the-line power. How much did these two additions cost? Also, what exactly does the under-drive pulley do? Where is it installed?
  • sherri1402sherri1402 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had one of these installed after purchase? I have a 2002 Elantra and I'd like to put a Webasto Hollandia Stratos 700 moonroof in but am a little concerned about how the headliner will look. I've heard that they can "ripple" because they can't attach it like they do on the molded roof. Would love to get some feedback before making up my mind. Thanks!
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I have contemplated a simple aftermarket pop-out sunroof for my Elantra, as I had installed on my previous car. Your headroom isn't reduced as with a moonroof and it is relatively inexpensive. My other car's headliner still look fine, other than a slight error they made cutting it (a bit too short, but it stayed tight throughout the rest of the car).
  • sherri1402sherri1402 Member Posts: 2
    The one I'm looking at is a power inbuilt. The dealer has offered me a really good deal on it due to some other problems he's trying to make good on (it'd cost me about a third of the price). I'm going to look at one that's been installed on another car to check out headroom and how much space is between the headliner and the roof.
    Two-thirds off sounds like a good deal. Let us know how the other car turned out ESPECIALLY how well-finished the headliner is after installation. My personal opinion is that nothing is as good as factory, so I would like to know if an aftermarket power unit can be done well. :)
  • goby2000goby2000 Member Posts: 9
    Going by what was written in message #26 by Mike91326, I proceeded to drill five 1" holes on the fender side of the air box on my 02 GT(11)to increase the air flow. I also placed meshing to keep debris out. I had earlier purchased a K&N filter but had only slight gains.

Thanks for that post BTW Mike, It worked like a charm. I must say it had noticeable throttle response and it even had a nice growl at above 4k RPM. Not too sure about HP gain but it's definitely more fun to drive.
    Did anyone ever answer the question of changes to air/fuel mixture as a result of drilling the holes? I wouldn't mind a boost in response but would like some reassurance about throwing something else out of whack. BTW, the 4K growl should have been there anyway. It's when the exhaust flap opens.
  • crossflowcrossflow Member Posts: 4
    I have just got a Elantra GT and the single disappointment was that awefully thin steering wheel. I tired to wrap tennis racquet grip tapes but soon realized it won't cover the wheel nicely.
    One of my friend has succeeded in installing a Sonata steering wheel to Elanta. But I still wonder if that of Sonata is thicker than Elantra's.
    Is there anyone can help me?
This discussion has been closed.