Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bigtxbigtx Member Posts: 16
    The other poster is right, you do get the sensors and at least on the elite the front has sensors as well. I never thought they would be much use but they are especially when parking in a garage with bike, strollers, etc that have not been put exactly where they belong.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns the latest model Nissan Quest or Honda Odyssey, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.
  • riceronyricerony Member Posts: 5
    I've been thinking about this myself. but I'm probably going to get the 2013 EX because we didn't want the leather seats, we only wanted the powered trunk but can live without it. I've got about $32k OTD, People just don't want to budge in ATX on price.
  • vmantravmantra Member Posts: 1
    Backup sensors can be installed for $500 at my dealer.
    I bought 2012 EXL W/RES for 31900 + tax + Doc fee (129) + title ($59) yesterday. Mud caps were included
  • RufisTFireflyRufisTFirefly Member Posts: 2
    I just put down a down payment on a 2012 Odyssey Touring model. I was lucky, in that they had the exterior color I wanted, but I had to take my second choice when it came to the interior color. I paid $36,200 and that price included destination charges. Of course I also had to pay for taxes and tags which is not included in the $36,200. It took a bit of leg work to get the best price and a bit of compromising, on my part, when it came to the interior color, but heck getting almost 6k off the sticker price was so worth the work. Good luck out there. This forum was extremely helpful and my thanks to everyone that has posted in the past. Happy hunting.

FYI sticker price was $42,160.
  • mike1237mike1237 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone share with the group their prices paid (or being quoted) for 2013 Touring Elite, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area? It seems most of the posts are prices around the 2012 models, but it becomes very hard to find now. Thanks!
  • etj1etj1 Member Posts: 1
    We are buying a 2013 Touring Elite in Oklahoma for 40100 exluding taxes and title.
  • riceronyricerony Member Posts: 5
    2013 Odyssey EX (non L/RES/NAV)
    30,103 including destination + TTL

got quotes as low as $29.5 and $29.7 but didn't end up going through with it because i was scared about some bait and switch.
  • luckylv777luckylv777 Member Posts: 4
    Is $29,500.00 OTD a good price for a 2012 Odyssey?
    Is $29,500.00 + registration OTD a good price for a 2012 Odyssey EX?
  • agilmutagilmut Member Posts: 3
    Hmmm...I don't think so given it is the end of the year!!! Assuming that does include sales tax as well...if not, most DEFINITELY not a good price. I paid roughly that (can't remember the exact amount) and that was the last week in February.... Not that I am an authority at all:-)

Sheila in MD
  • my3psmy3ps Member Posts: 6
    The posts asking if 29k+ is a good deal, no it really isn't, but I guess that depends on your location.

Here is what we paid. I did post the info below back in Aug. Sheila is right though, you should be seeing much better deals with the 13's out now.

EX - Crystal Black Pearl w/truffle interior
    $26,294 Base (including destination, no charge for mud flaps & wheel locks)
    $199 Dealer Processing
    $1020 6% tax (have no idea why so little, we did have a trade but that still doesn't make this number work out)
    $273 title & tags
    $27,786 OTD (DOES NOT include my trade/down payment)

I purchased at the end of Aug in MD at North West Honda. No bait and switch and I must have talked to 10-15 other dealers in the MD/DC area no one else could touch the deal and everyone said we would deal with a bait and switch. Nope, simple and sweet deal.
    It is very hard to get discount on the 2013 Odyssey when the dealer still have the 2013, but you should be able to get $5k off MSRP on the 2012. You still have to add back sale tax. All of the 2013 Odyssey will have backup camera as standard, however it is hard to justify $3k for this feature. You will lose some value for a 2012 vs. 2013 when you sell you van, but it will not be the 3k unless you sell it tomorrow.
    I am looking to buy a 2012 Odyssey EX. The dealer offer me a sale price of $26,700.00+tax$2,200 (8.125%)+Doc $500. The OTD would be $29,400.00. Is this a good deal or should I wake until December or January?
  • toolshed3toolshed3 Member Posts: 1
    is 33,000 a good price for 2013 EX-L w/RES?
  • buyer327buyer327 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market to purchaes a 2012 EX-L. I emailed about 9 dealers yesterday and recieved responses from 8 of them. of all of them, only 2 actually gave me a price. and only 1 had a 2012 EX-L in stock, the other quoted me a 2013. All the other dealers asked for a phone call, or to come in. I pushed and most didn't cave, 1 other 1 claimed to have a 2012 in stock, 1 said thejy could trade another dealer for 1, but would need a deposit before doing that (somehow in their mind it makes sense for me to give a deposit before letting me know a price)

All in all, it has been a pretty eye opening experience. Basically it appears in my area almost all dealers are locked in teh stone age and although claim that they want to provide a quick and painless dealer experience, the seem to keep up with the normal salesman tricks of getting you down their and grinding out a deal.

the best I've gotten is 30,200, which appears about 500-700 too high, but then again, I haven't worked them at all. I do have 1 dealer I test drove the car at that I will speak with and see where they go with things. I feel bad bypassing the salesman that I took teh test drive with to go to the internet manager, and I'm going to work the phones at this point and see where the other ones stand. mainly we're color senstive and there just aren't that many 2012s out there. the 2013's seem to be 2500 higher, not worth it to me if a 2012 is available.

I also have a trade in, so we'll see where that goes, makes things more difficult obviously. I may be resporting to the painful visiting a dealer and dealing with the back and forth and back and forth. I was trying to avoid that, make a pleasant experience for once. andy advice?
  • terryekinterryekin Member Posts: 1
    Have you guys got the 2012 EX-L with Nav? Could you sent me the detail or price and where you bought it from? I am trying to buy a 2012 EX-L with Nav also, there is only 1 left in stock, I just need to price match for them to take it and I'll buy it immediately. Please send me the the information if you still have those, it would really be a great help. Thanks!
  • honda_odyhonda_ody Member Posts: 3
    Just providing another data point for the Midwest.

2012 EX-L
    $30,100 + state sales tax
    (that price includes destination, doc fees, tire tax, mud flaps, etc.)

Best of luck to all.
  • slickjprslickjpr Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Yesterday I bought my 2012 Odyssey EX-L from NJ Joyce Honda for 32466 OTD [including TAX etc etc]+ 200 extra for roof rails [without roof rails, odyssey looks like [non-permissible content removed]].

One good thing about Joyce Honda is that they dont add too much stuff with their Internet Pricing. But still I had a disagreement with them. During our negotiation, I asked for OTD price since that is my main issue.

I was told 32700. I asked it to bring it down for 32000 and they declined it. Finally manager came and told me to meet my demand in the middle. So we finally agree for $32466.

I signed the approval to do credit check and while I was signing other docs, I was asked to sign the Registration sheet and it stated as "Cash on Delivery". I refused to sign it since the agreement was 32466 OTD and if I add the registration, it will add another 400+ into the total.

The sales person told me that they collect with everyone and since they dont know the exact amount of registration, they can not exactly charge me. I denied that claim and showed one of my friend's purchase where the other car dealer charged him only $399.

I told them that I am always ready to walk away if we dont meet what I agreed earlier. And I walked out of the showroom. Since I cant take my car out of the parking [another showroom car parked behind my car], I came inside to ask them to take the car away. Finally manager called me to agree to pay the registration fee.

I still made few compromises...I wanted Black color and ended up with Silver. I wanted EXL-with RES and no one ready to meet my demand of $33500 OTD. So I gave up RES and only got EXL. I still feel that I should have got it for $32000 OTD and not a penny more.

But if you ask me..out of 10 online quotes, Joyce Honda, Denville is the one exactly synced with what they provided me online. All other dealers were bait and switch only.

For this reason, I drove almost 45 mins to see the showroom.
  • joenyc111joenyc111 Member Posts: 28
    I went to Joyce Honda too. Same thing happened, the price jumped $400 and when I walked out, my car was blocked by another card (one of theirs). Coincidence?

Anyway, the manager, "Super XXrio" was very very pushy and I felt very uncomfortable dealing with him. This guy sits right by the door and to the left as soon as you enter the dealer. He's a total (you fill in the blank). The rest of the staff were nice.
    Needless to say, I had super terrible experience and did not buy the car.
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    purchased a 2012 Odyssey Touring 38500 OTD, The tax rate is 7% for first 5K, then 6.5% (tampa bay area). Comes with trunk tray, wheel lock, splash guard and door visor. The price is 35500 before all the fees/taxes, and I have a trade in for 3k (which bring the taxable to 32500). I know they made a few bucks on the trade in, but since it has been in a big accident before (cost insurance more than 10K to repair, although I don't understand why it cost so much to repair. without the accident, it will be between 5~6k for trade in according to kbb, edmunds, nana etc.), so decided to just trace in instead of sell it myself.
    I get the 0.75% for 60 month, and got the extended warranty for 7yr/100k. I have 60 days to canel it without any fees. :shades: Guys, do you think i need the warranty or try my luck? I will keep the car at least for 7yr/100k. :shades:
  • sarahandbraysarahandbray Member Posts: 3
    Once again, many thanks to all who take the time to post their purchase experience and suggestions on this board! This is the second purchase I have made with Edmunds and I recommend it ALL the time to my friends and family who cringe at the thought of purchasing a new car!

Called nine dealerships in the Albany, NY area. Went to four that had leftover 2012 Honday Odyssey EX-L (no Navi, no RES) that I would be interested in.
    Narrowed it down to Keeler Honda in Latham, NY or Rensselaer Honda in Troy, NY.

Finally went with Rensselaer Honda.
    2012 Honda EX-L, Cherry w/beige interior
    $30,500
    60 months @ .9%
    Got them to throw in wheel locks, all-weather mats, cargo tray & splash guards (it was $100 for wheel locks installed and $450 for the other package all installed--so these were free)
    Paid $447 for the roof rails and crossbars

Haggled for my 2005 EX Odyssey at the very last minute and got them to come up to $4000 (poor EX had almost 150K and dents galore--generally in rough shape, though I shined her to a penny inside and out before driving it over to be looked at!!)

The absolutel LOWEST number for the car I could find in this area was $30,280 from Keeler Honda in Latham, but they wouldn't throw in the extras and didn't have any color I would tolerate. Would have loved the Topaz with truffle interior, but that would have had to be located somewhere and I wouldn't have had the extras.

So red it is!!
    :)
    Sarah from Albany, NY
  • slickjprslickjpr Member Posts: 2
    Did you buy your car finally? what is the OTD price including all taxes?
  • subicsubic Member Posts: 2
    sarahandbray - what was your total OTD price on your Honda Odyssey?
  • hkaghkag Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in Touring elite and I live in N Va. Let me know if you interested in buying as a group.
  • dgcassidydgcassidy Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks,

I've now got two formal quotes for a 2013 Odyssey Touring Elite at $41,500 OTD, in the Washington DC metro area. (I have a couple of others around the $41,700 mark.) Given the Honda holiday promotions that are currently in play, is this a good price or should I push for more/extras/add-ons?

Really appreciate the candor and advice in this forum! Thanks in advance for responding.

Dave
    I just posted about the quotes I've received for a Touring Elite - $41,500 OTD. What have you found in the N.Va area?
  • the_villethe_ville Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2012 exl with res. After negotiations stalled I showed them an eprice I received from another dealer. Negotiations quickly came in my favor. Paid 32,500 and they threw in the all weather mats and are installing a remote starter for free. Also got .9% financing for 60 months. I have a cd right now paying 1.5% which makes using their money a no brainer. Most important thing is there are plenty 0f 2012's left in the Louisville Kentucky area so be firm if you're buying one.
  • bigtxbigtx Member Posts: 16
    That is a great price, I think I paid about 500 more than that for my elite and thought I did very well.
  • prasadamprasadam Member Posts: 2
    Does this price include taxes?
  • buyer327buyer327 Member Posts: 2
    2012 EX-L RES Celestial Blue
    $32,600 + state sales tax +DMV
    (that price includes destination, doc fees etc.)

I tried for an EX-L without options, but only found 1 in my area in the color we needed... I say needed since my wife was completely set on that. That dealer wouldn't play ball, the pricing was the same at that dealer for the 2012 base EX-L as I was getting quotes for 2013s. So rather than going 2013, I opened it up to RES models, and got the above deal. Overall, I wanted a bit better pricing based upon what I've seen here, however, I'm in an area that was affected significantly by the Hurricane, and 2012s were in short supply and dealers weren't being super aggressive in pricing. So considering that, I'm pretty happy with my deal, got the car I wanted, in the color I wanted, and basically got the RES for free, considering that 2013s were priced at the same amount.

the other weird mix in the market place, you'd think with the Hurricane that used cars would be selling great, not the case on the private party side. it wasn't easy, and people seemed scared about flood cars, even if there is nothing wrong with the car, I am about 3 miles north of the areas affected at all. Although I did better than the low ball trade price I got at 1 dealer.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Are you getting quotes for a 2013 TE for $41,500 out-the-door (taxes, doc fees, freight and tags included)? Even at Virginia tax rates, that's a great price.
    That's what they're claiming!
  • javamaanjavamaan Member Posts: 5
    I am in the market for EX-L RES and in NJ. Have couple of questions for you.
    1. So your 2012 EX-L RES was same price as 2013 EX-L(not EX-L RES)?

2. which state and dealer?

to everybody else:
    Should i expect 2012 to be $6000 less that similar 2013 model? as $6000 seems to be the yearly depreciation for these vans? if price difference is less that that then looks like it is better to get a 2013 model.

Wanted to get a realistic view from others. :confuse:
    Vinny, I think that pricing is dependent on taking Honda's holiday financing promotion (0.99% APR / 60 months). Otherwise the price goes up $500.

I'm still waiting for a full quote from two dealers who've promised this price, btw.
    That price did not include sales tax which is 6% ($1,980.00) processing fee ($368.00) and license transfer ($31.00). The OTD price was $34,879. I also added an extended warranty for $1,388 which took the full coverage from 3 year 36,000 miles to 7 year 80,000 miles. Of course you are not obligated to take the extra warranty, but I thought it was a good deal. I definitely feel there was still plenty of wiggle room in the deal, but for me a few hundred dollars was not worth the aggravation. Plus my wife wanted celestial blue and this one was celestial blue. With an eprice in hand from another dealer they will definitely do whatever it takes to give you a lower price. Without the eprice they tell you your number is absurd. 32,500 OTD is definitely possible without the remote start.
    cars like stocks, houses and anything you buy the depreciation value only matters when you sell. As far as I know the 2012 is the same as the 2013 except one is sold as 2012 and one is sold as 2013. As soon as you drive off the lot a new 2013 is now a used 2013 and worth only slightly more than a 2012 with the same miles. The warranty is the same on both and if you keep it for 5 to 10 years or longer you pay taxes on the lower amount. For me age is nothing, but a number. The $6,000 depreciation is assuming you drove the van 15,000 miles which if you're buying new you obviously did not
  • onehaqqonehaqq Member Posts: 12
    I received an initial offer of $30,996 for an 2012 EX-L w/NAV in the DC metro area. Went there and foudn out this did not include processing fees and destination charges, so the total price without tax and tags 32,700. They said they would throw in wheel locks and mud guards for free.

I tried to negotiate but they would not budge. They had a lot of 2012's in stock, but all were silver with grey interior, which I don't want.

Is that a good deal? The lowest quote i received in the region was $32,600 for a 2013 EX-L without NAV not including taxes and tags.

Should I jump on this, or is there more negotiating room elsewhere? I dont see many 2012's around, unless they are silver.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Dealers aren't allowed to solicit business here.... and, members aren't allowed to solicit dealers, either...

Thanks

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thatguy2010thatguy2010 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in the market for a 2013 EX-L Odyssey or 2012 EX-L the lowest i have been quoted is 32,500 for 2013 in Fredricksburg, VA , local dealer in Richmond wont give me a price on the 2012 ex-l without going to the sales manager and Im not in a rush for a headache so i passed Im willing to travel two hours from Richmond, VA in any direction to get a good deal. I travel to DC daily so its not out of the way. I may settle for a 2013 because I want taffeta and truffle interior the 2012 models are limited If you purchased in VA please share your dealership location Should i wait until 12/30 to purchase. Also I have a trade in should i not mention it until we have settled on a price, I probably should get a quote on my trade in at a dealership I'm not interested in buying at just to know what I'm up against.
    what dealership is this also did they give you a quote on 2013 models ?
  • ryan2123ryan2123 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to thank everyone on here. I was able to get a lot of good information from on here and was finally able to get the VAN I wanted. I got the 2012 EX-L for $30,550+TTL. I also got the following accessories included in that price:

Roof Rails Installed
    Body Side Moldings Installed
    Front Mirrors tinted
    Splash Guards
    Wheel Locks
    Door Edge Guards
    Trunk Tray
    what region did you purchase it in?
  • onehaqqonehaqq Member Posts: 12
    The 2012 EX-L w/NAV was from Joyce Koons Honda in Manasses. This dealership had by far the most 2012's in stock I have seen anywhere. most of them silver with grey interior. but they had a couple of black and grey's also. Most other dealerships in the area had none, or maybe 1 of the 2012 Odyssey's in stock. I only saw 1 or 2 2012 models with truffle interior in the area.

The 2013 EX-L quote I got was from Honda of Tysons Corner, and I didn't a quote from Joyce Koons on this model year.

From what I have been seeing, there is much less negotiating room on the 2013's and no financing promotions. If you see a 2012 you like, I would not wait because inventory will run out.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Sorry. i was just kidding...I know that no dealer is actually going to make that deal!
  • ryan2123ryan2123 Member Posts: 2
    I got mine from Oklahoma City, OK.
  • karaymakarayma Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    FYI,
    2012 EXL 30,450 including destination charge+ tax and fees, some free accessories such as cabin mats, mud guards, wheel locks, tray tub

Thank you for all the wonderful reviews and sharing your buying experience. It was extremely helpful in terms of negotiating and getting a deal. With all your help and reviews, my husband and I were able to get a deal very close to the lowest offer I received on email. Our buying experience was pretty pleasant with the Honda dealer on Convoy St in San Diego.

But the true color came out when I referred my friend's family to this same dealer. If you want to be treated like a s***, please go ahead and experience it yourself. This dealear does not know what a customer service is. Especially the so called "manager" named Paul and Salesperson Robby. After buying the Odyssey at this dealer, I referred my friend's family who was also looking into buying the same vehicle. When they went and told Robby that their friend(me) bought the vehicle at $30,450 which included the destination charge and some accessories the week before, the Salesperson did not believe them and accused them of lying. My friends felt very disrespected and mistreated by this salesperson and the manager. So I went with my friends to the dealer the next day to prove that I was the friend who bought the vehicle there the week before. My friend's couple and me and husband were not even welcomed. Paul the manager came out at the door said he was not willing to make any offer. He lied by saying that his salesperson spent the whole day with my friends trying to negotiate the price when it was only for an hour. The manager was NOT willing to hear any of my friends had to say and only believed what his salesperson told him. Paul did make a ridiculous offer saying that my friends would have to pay $400 more if they wanted to buy the vehicle. When I complained that this was not what I had expected for my friends to be treated, the manager didn't care. He said there were eight other Honda dealers in San Diego that my friends could go to. This so called manager didn't even seem to care whether I go on all the car sites and yelp leaving negative comments. He said I could go and complain all I wanted. This dealer is full of crap and disrespect for customers!!! And you know this dealer had the guts to call my friends that evening saying that they were willing to make the offer. Who in the world want to go back to the same dealer that treated like you a piece of s*** and not welcomed into the dealer would go back and buy the car. That was even more humiliating and disgusting getting a call back from the dealer. I still get very upset and infurious when I think about the treatment that my friends and I received at this dealer.

If you are in San Diego and looking to buy a Honda, The BOTTOM LINE, DON't go to the Honda dealer in Kearny Mesa.
  • woosangwoosang Member Posts: 2
    There are few dealers who still have 2011 models in their inventories.
    Is it worth buying?
    The price of those leftovers are not even close to competitive.
    Some are listed even more expensive than 2012 models.
    How much of a discount do you guys think is possible?

I would like to hear your opinion.
    Thanks.
  • planetcarsplanetcars Member Posts: 4
    Hi Ryan, I've been burnt before and taking a cautious approach to negotiate in advance with dealers. I tried negotiating at your price but getting stuck without any proof. I really appreciate if you could send me a picture or copy of your invoice. You can black out identifiable information or I promise I'll do that before taking it to a dealership. It was nice of you to share this information. Thank you for your help.
  • subicsubic Member Posts: 2
    This is what a Phoenix Honda dealer offered for a 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L no RES/no NAV:
    MSRP: 35,855
    Invoice: 33,171
    Internet price: 30,921
    Plates: 613.86
    Tax 8.8%: 2764.78
    FCC: 368.80
    OTD: 35165.45

They won't budge on the OTD price to bring it down to 31/32K. Is $35K OTD still a lot for this year and model???

Thanks in advance.