Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• elantramanelantraman Member Posts: 24
    How is this?

MSRP 16,220 +(pin Stripe)
    Sale Price 13,598 - Rally Red, Option 10, Automatic, Pin Stripe
    Title, Registration, "Documentation Fee (I know this is high, but I am looking at the bottom line.)

Total 13,706.50

There must be some incentives for dealer's to move these out. I wonder how the demand is going for the GT?
  • mrmrmrmr Member Posts: 9
    I am following this group recently to get the idea about 2002 Elantra GT price. I live in greater Philadelphia area and I am looking for Automatic GT with Pewter color. I don't have any trade-in plan. Could anybody provide some info what would be the best price range I should look for?
  • sloth77sloth77 Member Posts: 1
    I found a Elantra GT on the Hyundai site, and printed out everything that it included and the MSRP ($13999). I took that to the Hyundai dealer and found a car exactly like it, with all the same accessories. Yet, the sticker price was like $14800. I told them about the MSRP on the internet and they said that the web site always list them a lot lower and that $14800 was the only price they could sell it for. I'm 21 with $6000 for a down payment. Is $14800 with everything except a moonroof and anti-lock brakes really as low as they could go or they do take me for not knowing any better?
    You see what I paid $13,499+ the miscellaneous crap. MSRP was 16,220 Edmunds TMV was $15,270. I am very comfortable with my price and family loves the car. It does look like a Saab somewhat. I don't think any other manufacturer can touch a similarly equiped vehichle for less than $18,000. Did anybody get a better price than I did? Dealership offered 10 year bumper to bumper for about $1,000. I passed on it, since it is of no actual use for at least 5 years.
    I am a staunch Honda supporter, but this deal just was too good to pass up.
  • indyslimindyslim Member Posts: 7
    I was looking for an Elantra GT with manual transmission and option 11 (ABS, moonroof and Traction control).

The highest quote I got was for $16,500 and the quote I ended up going with was
    $14,774 .
    He then charged $99 for documentation fee, but included the mudguards, carpets, cargo net and sunroof wind deflector for free.
    The dealer was Suntrup Hyundai, sales person Brett Hergenrother.
  • mrmrmrmr Member Posts: 9
    That is an awesome deal. If you are in NE give me your dealers information. I checked with two dealers in Philadelphia area and they are offering me mid 14K for Elantra GT Auto with just the base model. Which I think is quite high. Any info from the group would be a great help.
  • bnorby1bnorby1 Member Posts: 16
    14800 is too much for the GT, option 1 (which is the base model w/no ABS, Mnroof, Traction Control). You want to price the GT on edmunds.com, kbb.com, cars.com - try consumerreports.com as well and if you can, pay out the ~12 dollars for their pricing reports on any car you want to buy. Then, take invoice price for the GT with the manual trans, subtract 2% of invoice (dealer holdback), add in the options at INVOICE price (that would be automatic if you want it, mudguards, floor mats, cargo net (these are port-installed options, the dealer can't really ditch them for you), add in delivery, and voila - your base invoice price, well below MSRP of course, and without any profit to the dealer. That amount is your starting point in negotiations. I added 5% from base invoice to the amount, told the dealer I could not pay his documentation or advertising fees, that the total I described above was my bottom line, and picked up my GT at that price the next day. :) I basically did the same at four differnt dealers by phone, fax and email, so I could choose the best deal, the one closest to my figure above. good luck.
  • ajenkins23ajenkins23 Member Posts: 15
    For anyone in the Northeast who is interested, I had a good experience with my dealer in the Boston area. I got a carbon blue GT 5-speed, sunroof, floor mats, cargo net for $14,400. With tax and document fee, it was just over $15k. If you'd like to know the contact info, e-mail me at amandaangel29@aol.com.
    Yes I bought my car at #1 Cochran in Monroeville( just off PA turnpike exit 6) They have been running in their add that they will beat any advertised or deal you bring in on a Hyundai by $300.
    That's what I did. Another dealer ran an ad for $13,799. They had the ad at the dealership. They had only 1 car with exact same MSRP. Had 400 miles on it though. Other than them trying too sell useless etching and extended warranty and charging too high a "documentation" fee, they were fairly straight forward and not bad to deal with. If you have any questions you can email me at rwdmmd@a1usa.net. Now one week, my wife loves it and what little I've driven it, I am impressed also.
  • dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    $14,150+TTL for 2002 automatic GT with pkg.11(ABS/ROOF), mats and flaps. There must be some major incentives right now, this is over $1000 below invoice. To those who paid more, don't feel bad, I've been trying to find a good deal on one for almost year now (that is, since they first came out). I think I have earned it :)

I purchased from Howard Hyundai in Chicago, Ill., the salesman was John Reeb. Totally upfront and honest, not at all pushy, really a great experience and a great guy. He's got to be about the busiest salesman I have ever dealt with, so it takes a little patience to get to him sometimes, though. No surprise, considering the excellent deals he offers!

To those having trouble finding deals, I suggest looking to the big cities. It was about a 3.5 hour drive for me, but I saved about $1800 over my best local quote. In fact every dealer in the Chicago area beat my best local price. Maybe dealer incentives are even more regional than the consumer ones?

Good luck all, and happy motoring,
    DW
  • canadavecanadave Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Can anyone give me any feedback as to the price they paid for a 2002 Elantra VE in Canada? I'm shopping for one, and it would help give me some ammo with which to take on the dealerships around here :)

Thanks!
    Dave
  • okeydokeyokeydokey Member Posts: 12
    I bought a Hyundai Elantra GLS yesterday, with AUTOMATIC transmission but no other option other than floor mats ($~70).... 10 miles on the odometer, After 1 hour of negotiation, I got it for $9999. with California tax, License for one year, (they didn't dare charge me doc fees), it came to $11k....

let me know if I got a good deal... everything works, smooth and quiet so far, so I am relatively happy.

thanks!
    OD
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Let's see now, you bought your GLS for about $2700 under invoice, everything works, smooth and quiet so far... and you are relatively happy? What would it take to make you really happy? :-)
    HEHEHE.....
  • dlaing1dlaing1 Member Posts: 17
    I knew I should not have looked at this post....2700 under msrp is a great deal! 2700 under invoice is unheard of!
    Care to mention the dealership name?
    Concord Hyundai, ask for peter.

actually, it turns out it wasn't all that great of a deal, as I see more newspaper ads in my area advertising similar car ( Steven Creek Hyundai has an automatic for $10295)

OD
  • elantraloverelantralover Member Posts: 1
    Okeydokey
    I am trying to buy a GLS before the end of the year. I am very impressed by the price you paid for your GLS and even more impressed by the ad price you say you saw in your local newspaper.
    I know you were nice enough to provide some information already but would you mind giving me their phone number if you have?
    that would be very much appreciated because I think you got a great deal on it.
    if anybody else paid less than that, would you mind providing the information on your dealers?
    TJ
    thanks
  • codepoetcodepoet Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing both an Elantra and Sonata (GLS series). Can anyone offer suggestions for determining any factory-to-dealer incentives that exist for these two models? The factory-to-buyer incentives are a no-brainer, but how can I determine any "secret" incentives by which the dealer will glean extra profits? I know that there are online services that will supposedly provide this information for a fee (fightingchance.com charges about $27), but are there other cheaper or free reliable sources for this info?

Btw, my wife and I test-drove our first Hyundais yesterday, and we were very impressed with the Elantra and Sonata. I only wish the Elantra had a little better dashboard styling. If I could get an Elantra with a Mazda Protege interior, I'd be in heaven! :-) Anyway, I think that the dealer is willing to sell these cars to me for "invoice" prices. However, the saleperson and the general manager seemed too eager to close this deal, which leads me to believe that they must be getting a decent incentive besides just the 2% holdback.

Thanks in advance for your input on this!
    Mark
  • teamjdcteamjdc Member Posts: 12
    Last time I checked, there was a $1400 fleet incentive on Elantras. Don't know if there is one on Sonata's as they seem to be in short supply. (My source is down for some reason.)

On the Elantra interior... I sure don't understand. We had a Protege rental for 5 weeks while waiting for insurance settlement and shopping for our Elantra. I thought the Protege interior was awful. IMO, the Elantra has better fit, finish, materials and layout, not to mention more room.
  • yootsyoots Member Posts: 1
    The ad price for an automatic elantra GLS $10295 is a lie. It is from Bob Lewis Hyundai, and the price turned out to be for manual, not automatic!!
    I purchased an elantra GLS, automatic, pkg 2, carpet, mug today. I paid $12,700 with cash, which includes tax, fees and $1,000 rebate. Does anyone know if mine was a good deal or not?
  • codepoetcodepoet Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, teamjdc! Do you have a link that you would care to share where I can research this a little further myself?

As for the Protege vs. Elantra, it's the console layout/style of the Protege in particular that I like. I agree that, overall, the Elantra is roomier and the better choice for us.

Thanks again!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It would help if you would leave taxes and fees out of your posted price, since those of us who don't live in the Bay Area have no basis for comparison with those added expenses. But it looks like you got a very good deal, close to or even under invoice (allowing for the rebate).
    Yes, You got a very good deal.Probably better than 90% of the deals that others get. OkeyDokey got a better price, I'll bet by hypnotising the dealer into making him think that he was selling him an Accent. Very clever! There is definitely an art to buying a car. Most dealers are stubborn and greedy. You have to be more stubborn and greedy than they are;)
    Went in to buy the sonata, but when I saw they had a lot of elantras on the lot, I decided to change my mind. just have to stick to your guns, don't let them BS you into paying too much more than their advertised price. just drove to las vegas in that car to spend the 2k I saved, the car performs marvelously even in 105 degrees F, climbing 5000ft pass with air conditioning blasting. the automatic transmission stayed in the top gear 90% of the time during the climb, only downshifting when passing. went 90mph couple of times without noticing (my car is the basic one without cruise control) the temperature gauge didn't even move (compared with flat terrains) I am very happy with the performance of the Elantra.

ps. made $61 net in vegas after 2 days. :)

OD
    Yes, I stand corrected, it was one of the two, steven Creek or Bob Lewis. I had the same experience with them 2 months ago with BOB LEWIS. they advertised an elantra with an automatic, and tried a BAIT and SWITCH. I sure hope you did not buy the car from them, after they pulled that on you. I didn't. Message to everybody shopping for a car: Drive a few miles (in my case 100mi) and find a decent dealer/salesperson... hard to find, but they are out there.

PS. I too paid cash.

OD
  • qraqraqraqra Member Posts: 1
    $12400 after $750rebate. Mudgaurds and mats only option. Automatic 4 door GLS Elantra. Route 2 Hyundi Leominster Massachusettes. I paid a tad much but compare this car to protege, sentra and coralla or civic. For the price. hey I got a good car. I drive near 70 miles a day round trip.
  • sri4sri4 Member Posts: 6
    Pewter 2002 GT, automatic, Mud Gaurds, Floor mats and Cargo Net. The lowest offer is $14300.
    Should I go for this?

Thanks
  • jpgolf55jpgolf55 Member Posts: 34
    I just got an Elentra GT, Auto, Sunroof (pkg 10) in Pewter Silver for $14,000 plus tax in Brooklyn, New York. My only complaint; the tires had over 50 PSI causing the car to pull towards the right. Makes me wonder if they did a full prep job on the car. Other than that at 200 miles we love it. Joel
    jpgolf55 wrote...

"I just got an Elentra GT, Auto, Sunroof (pkg 10) in Pewter Silver for $14,000 plus tax in Brooklyn, New York.."

I don't know why dealers around Boston are not willing to go below $14300 without moonroof? I am not sure why folks in Brooklyn, NY and Chicago, IL are getting pretty good deals.

Any ideas?
    -Sri
    I had a good experience with my dealer on the North Shore. I ended up with a 5-speed with sunroof for $14,400 (I had a trade-in). With tax and all the other fees it was $15,400 total. You may be able to get better than that if you want an auto because the dealers seem to have plenty of autos. You can contact my dealer at www.prideautogroup.com - ask for Sam. Tell them Amanda referred you - good luck!
    I just called Pride Hyundai. Apprearently as of yesterday Sam no longer works there.

sri
    Wow - Sam disappeared quick! The other guy I talked with a lot was Michael - the business manager. He was also helpful. Did you talk with any of the other salespeople? I'm curious about your experience with them and if it was as good as mine!
    Finally I got what I think is good deal after 2 weeks for intense work.

I am paying Pewter, GT , Automatic, Floor Mats, Cargo Net and Mud Gaurds $14000 even. With TTL it's $15033. This is at Tom Hyundai in Norwood (Ask for Rick Lewis) who is 4 miles from my home.
    My wife's first car and she is very happy.

-Sri
  • elantradriverelantradriver Member Posts: 14
    If there's any Candians out there looking to buy an Elantra VE hopefully this will help. I just bought a 2002 Elantra VE with automatic for $17295. That's $700 off the MRSP. Got the floor mats and trunk mat thrown in for free. Metallic paint cost an extra $130. I don't know if that helps at all, but I figured I'd be the first Candian to post his price up here.
  • jwt3jwt3 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2002 Elantra GT (Premium - Silver colour) 5 speed in Toronto for $19,500 - that's $1,100 off MSRP plus 0% financing, $0 down, 36 month term, no payments for 90 days.
  • ianlozadaianlozada Member Posts: 2
    Valley Stream Hyundai on Long Island just sold me an 2002 Elantra GLS (Chianti Red, Automatic, mud guards, floor mats)for $11,800 after rebate. Talk to Mike Morrill-- he works to get you the best deal in the beginning rather than play the games some other Hyundai dealers did on the numbers.
  • spreciouspreciou Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an Elantra GT with Option 11 package (sunroof, ABS, etc.) from Howard Hyundai in Elmhurst, IL. based on dbwells' recommendation. I got the exact same deal! $14,150 (including mats) + TTL. The salesman to see is John Reeb - very knowledgable and trustworthy. I strongly recomend anyone in the Tri-State (IL, IN, WI) area check him out. Also, a BIG thanks to DBWELLS, as other dealers quoted me higher costs!
  • gtformegtforme Member Posts: 12
    I just started looking for a GT in the area, and am noticing that the dealerships I've been to don't have many. Are there any around that stock more than two? I don't mind driving to find one, but I don't want to waste a trip to find the same situation.
    I suppose I can get real specific. Has anyone seen a manual with a moonroof in cobalt blue, pewter, or black on lot?
    When you pull up the Elantra detail, this discussion is not linked. I paid 13,499 for Rally red GT automatic with guards, mats, sunroof (PKG 10) cargo net. Have had for a month, 1500 miles, have not taken it out on highway yet. Gas milage Low 20.1 High 22.8. I am sure it will improve as I take to the highway. Very satisfied for first month.
    You are right. I have called atleast 10 dealers around here nobody has the pewter GT, auto. Finally, I put deposite at Tom Hyundai 2.5 weeks ago. They are yet to fnd one.

-Sri
    Elantraman

Where did you get that deal? I will have to pay atleast another $1000 to get it around here in boston area.

Great Deal.

-Sri
    That's one of the dealers I stopped by. I'm leary about having them find a car though. My brother did that recently for a Sante Fe, and it was a real hassle. I'd like to know how it works out, though.
    I live in the Boston area and got my 5-speed GT about a month ago after waiting about 10 weeks for my dealer to find one. Mine finally came from Vermont. The only 5-speed GT in MA for about 4 months!

I originally wanted a pewter with option 11 but there are barely any and the dealers that have any were not willing to swap and instead put their prices up knowing the 5-speed GTs are in huge demand. I finally settled for a blue one without option 11 but had the dealer install a moonroof - I'm VERY happy with it and the deal I got.

I know there seem to be more autos but my advice would be to wait for a 5-speed if that's your 1st choice - it is very fun to drive! Pewter is by far the favorite color and therefore hard to find.

I went through Pride Hyundai in Lynn although at one point I had 3 dealers trying to locate me one - Pride were the ones who got me the GT first and for the best price. I paid $14,400 after having the moonroof put in.

BTW, I think elantraman may have had a good trade-in for the price he got - I've never heard of the price being that low, although it's easier to negotiate I think with the autos because there are more of them.

The GT is worth the wait - however long it is!! I think most owners here would agree!
  • bob4applesbob4apples Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have a sf bay area dealer they've had a good experience with and want to recommend?

The dealership in Concord (msg #118) seems a good bet, any others?

thanks.
    I had no trade in for the GT I purchased! I originally had no intention on buying a new Elantra GT. I think I struck while the iron was hot for a good deal. # 1 Cochran in Pittsburgh. They advertise that they will beat any competitor by $300 on all Hyundai's. I only had the choice of 1 vehicle (they had to be exact MSRP- 16220) It had almost 400 miles on it when I bought it ( no big deal to me) If you need more details let me know. I am quite happy with my deal and my Elantra GT.
  • rsinger2rsinger2 Member Posts: 19
    I bought a 2002 GLS 5 spd pkg 2 w/mats 18May02, from Concord Hyundai. $11250 + tax, doc, etc. I took 1.9% financing for 48 months rather than the $1000 rebate. Total w/finance charge about $12800.

The car was in good shape when bought, the detail guys were good, Zachary in service easy to talk to. A couple different salesman failed to return calls, but the deal happened anyway.

Obvious recommendation if you go there - or anywhere else: Know exactly what you want and what you'll be willing to pay for it.
    Well, I picked up my Carbon Blue GT this week and love it! I paid $14.3k at Tom and got an automatic with sunroof, mudguards, and floormats.

On the way home I went around a rotary/turnabout and stopped for a car already in, and the guy was staring at me. I didn't know why because I wasn't in his way, but then I realized that he was looking at the car.

The only problems I have is that I'm too busy right now to take a drive and I discovered only 5 minutes after pulling into my driveway, that somebody down the street has a pewter GT. So much for thinking I'd have the only one in the area.
    For anyone in the Boston area who is looking for a 5-speed GT, I know that Mirak Hyundai in Arlington, MA are supposed to be getting a pewter 5-speed GT in the next few weeks. One of the salesmen (Ken) called me yesterday to tell me cause he knew I had been looking for one. I was able to tell him that I already have one but thought I would pass on the info to anyone who is looking for one.
  • mocrowe1mocrowe1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interested in buying an Elantra GT, and was wondering if I could contact Amy from NJ (message #39). I also live in NJ, and I think you got an excellent deal ($13,800 plus tax/lic). If you could email or post the name of your dealer, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!