Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• snowie77snowie77 Member Posts: 3
    I paid $14000 base for option package 5 on an ocean blue automatic elantra gls. With tax, tags, and rebate I paid $14,150.90 out the door. I think I got a pretty good deal. Though they were a little too eager to drop the price when I pushed so I'm wondering if my good deal is just an illusion.
  • jacobi1jacobi1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi,
    Just purchased an Artic Silver GT Premium Package Automatic (leather,ABS,TC,Sunroof) for $20,200. It goes for 21,670(MRSP) here in the GTA(greater Toronto area). Felt like all the research was worth it as it gave me the ability to bargain.
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    I was shopping for my sister in law, and I was able to get a good price on the elantra gt 5spd pkg 10? (moonroof,cd)?. I won't post the price, but it is well under what is being posted here. If your looking in Central Mass, go look at RTE2 Hyundai in Leominster MA.
  • indiana47indiana47 Member Posts: 1
    I recommend Suntrup Hyundai in St. Louis. After talking with two dealers in central Illinois (Springfield and Decatur), I drove to Suntrup. None of the "What would I have to do...". Fred McClary was my salesman after I exchanged e-mail with Brett Hergenrother from their internet site. Their price was better than $3,000 less than the other dealers. No pressure, pleasant buying experience and well worth the drive.
  • spamletspamlet Member Posts: 22
    I completely agree. I bought my GLS there for about $2,500 less than other dealers.

I went to one of the other St. Louis area dealers (which will remain nameless, but it's off I-70 :) ) and they were extremely rude and VERY high pressure. I won't ever go back there.
  • kentavoskentavos Member Posts: 34
    I'm looking to buy a GT, no financing. I'm in Orange County and would be willing to drive if I knew I was getting a good deal. Any good dealer experiences or good prices? Also, if you did buy a GT and got a good price, did you finance and what terms?
  • buckster1959buckster1959 Member Posts: 2
    I have a chance to buy a new 2002 Hyundai GT automatic fully loaded other than anti lock brakes for $13,950 here at a dealer in Indianapolis. Does that sound reasonable or not?

Thanks!!
  • azldwazldw Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have any recommendations? Best price I've gotten so far is $14,700 on a GT 5 speed with moonroof, mats, cargo net & rear cargo tray... Thanks for your help!
  • blackfrancis97blackfrancis97 Member Posts: 1
    Buckster, that sounds like an excellent deal in Indianapolis. Would you mind posting info on who you're dealing with? I'll be needing the ABS, but the quotes I've been getting from local dealers are all coming in *much* higher than this. Good luck with your purchase!
  • buckster1959buckster1959 Member Posts: 2
    I am working with Palmer Hyundai & Indy Hyundai here in Indianapolis. Indy Hyundai is offering the GT with package 11(with anti-lock brakes ) for as low as $14,485 or $14,601 not including taxes or license fees. Butler Hyundai here in town either won't compete or can't compete. Palmer Hyundai will compete but not unless forced to. Good Luck in buying your car also..
  • myegt2002myegt2002 Member Posts: 2
    I payed $14,000 for my Obsidian Black GT and the dealer had plenty in stock but so far I have only seen very few like my car in other colors. I everything came standard in the car except ABS brakes (Elantra mats, moon roof, power everything,leather seats) and for filling out the survey I received three oil changes. I did anyone get power mirror warmers? I read edmons review and the test car had them. I would have gotten them if I knew they were offered.

The 2003s are coming in Oct/Nov with not noticeable changes as I heard.

Good luck in your search. If anyone is in NJ see Jose at Maxxon on Rt. 22 in Union. He was a great salesman with no hassles and very polite and patient!
  • mwmossermwmosser Member Posts: 11
    Hi -

First time new car buyer here. Just getting ready to begin negotiations on a Black GT 5-speed NO sunroof or any options. Dealer in Topeka found one and will bring in for me - I am assuming this hurts my bargaining leverage but hopefully not too much.

Anyone have any experiences with Sunflower or Noller Hyundai here in KC area? And any idea what this stripped (but still loaded) version is going for around here?

Also, I have to put down a deposit to bring the car in - is that refundable?

Sorry for sounding so clueless. Will let you know how things turn out.

Cheers -

Michael
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Deposits should be refundable should you decide not to take delivery of the car after you actually see and drive it. That is a common and reasonable condition. Another condition for return of the deposit is if the dealer renegs at all on the deal, e.g. there is an unreasonable delay in shipping the car, the car you ordered is mysteriously not available, etc. But if I were you I'd get the terms in writing. Also it helps to put the deposit on a credit card, because if they try to unfairly keep the deposit, you can challenge it with the credit card company.
  • mwmossermwmosser Member Posts: 11
    Backy -

Thanks for the advice. I did put the deposit on credit card (thinking the same thing re: the card company). Also just got a call from dealer 10 min ago saying the car is here (there, actually - 25 minute drive). We'll go over tomorrow and make sure that this is in fact the right car for us. I'll make sure to follow the Edmunds.com advice and try not to appear too overeager, but I'm sure the salesperson is salivating over having someone want a particular model so bad he had to put a deposit down to bring it in....

thanks again -

M
  • graduategraduate Member Posts: 1
    First congratulations on your GT. I am in the process of buying one I am wondering if your GT is manual or automatic.
    I live in Princeton so it's not too far from Maxxon.
    Thank you.
  • pw_eastsidepw_eastside Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an Elantra GT in a month or so and was wondering if there is anyone here that has any experience with any dealers in the Milwaukee area. The only option that I'm looking for is an auto tranny so what would be a good price? I'm starting to send email inquiries to various dealers and would like to do most of the negotiations that way. Also, does anyone know which dealers are better to deal with for service-related issues. Thanks in advance and keep posting the good info!

pw_eastside
  • coldplaycoldplay Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone suggest a dealer where they got a good deal. I am looking for GT 5Speed Package 11 (pretty much fully loaded). I live in the central NJ so can also shop in PA. Thank you in advance.
    Just got an email offer of $13,725 + tax and title for an elantra gt w/ auto, no other options. Does this sound like a good deal or do you think I can do better.

Thanks
  • tx_guytx_guy Member Posts: 1
    hi

can anyone suggest price of a elantra GLS(w/ option 5)and financing terms in texas..i will be graduating next month from TAMU and thinking of buying it..

TIA
    sk
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    There is a dealer west of Chicago that's advertising a base GT with auto for $13,099. Unfortunately, I can't find the stock number in the ad on their website! But I never trust ads. Your price seems to be about 2.7% below Edmunds invoice price, so if it's the color you want, and you are not compromising on the options you really want, I say go for it!
  • tylertjtylertj Member Posts: 3
    It seems to me that the package deals in Chicago are giving a slightly better deal than the $13725 for base auto on the GT. The earlier comments suggest that one can pay ~ $400 more or so and get sunroof and ABS. This suggests that you might get this priced even lower if you present them with the competition.
    By the way, I might be in the market for a GT soon and I also live in the Southern Wisconsin area. Please post which Hyundai dealer(s) in the Milwaukee area you get your best offer(s). -thanks!
    Tim
  • tmichaelnytmichaelny Member Posts: 2
    i paid 13900 for a pewter GLS auto with cruise control and keyless locks. the only other additon i wanted was a cd player which the delaership agreed to install. instead on a whole new unit which i had envisioned, the installed some cheap add-on. i also got a VERY bad deal on my trade in. once we got to numbers, it was very high pressure and uncomfortable. what looked like a great price when the numbers were presented was not so great.

the dealership gave me cards to present for referrals! they have since made very nice confetti! :)

if you are in south florida, do yourself a favor and avoid RICK CASE HYUNDAI
  • ronmcqronmcq Member Posts: 16
    I just picked up my '02 Pewter Elantra GT Automatic with Mud Guards, Floor mats and Cargo net for $13,711. Out the door with Calif Tax and Lic and Fees for $14,958 from Frank Hyundai in National City. $1,000 under invoice according to this site. I sent in an internet request last night for this car and the base level Sonata and got a reply this morning. I had pre-arranged financing also thru this site from Peoplefirst.com, paid for overnight delivery and had the car in my driveway by 2:30 this afternoon. What a wonderful way to make a deal, no haggling and what I consider to be a more than fair price. The price quote on the Sonata was more than fair also, I just decided that the smaller car better suited my needs. Now I can park my V-10 F250 and triple my gas mileage. I also ran some dental floss behind the rear hatch badges removing the Hyundai, Elantra and GT emblems, applied a coat of polish and wax. Looks extremely clean and sanitary, I couldn't be happier with the car.
  • bratschebratsche Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everybody! I'm excited to "join the club." On Tuesday, August 30th, I bought my very first NEW car - an 5-speed Elantra GT in Rally Red with mud guards, floor mats, cargo net AND MOON ROOF for $13,900! I gave another dealer a chance to beat the price, but she couldn't. It took me four hours to get it down to that price, but it was kind of fun! The compliments are already rolling in, and I go to bed each night with a big smile on my face. We'll how long Hyundai can KEEP me smiling. So far so good...
  • lr76lr76 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I just bought a 2002 GLS in Pewter, 5 speed with Option Package #4 (cd player, moonroof, keyless entry and alarm), mud guards, moonroof wind deflector and floor mats for $12,658 plus title and license. I think I got a pretty good deal. I bought it from the Thomason Internet Department....no haggle price. I haggled a little bit on the trade. But in comparison to past experiences buying cars...this was definitely much easier. Very happy with the car so far!
  • lapdog64lapdog64 Member Posts: 1
    Elantra GLS, A/T, option package 2 with ca. emission, mug guards, floor mats, and truck net with 1,000 rebate out the door with ca. sales tax,lic,tire fee and doc fee. 12,810.
  • lostlovelostlove Member Posts: 4
    I paid $11,616 for a 2002 Elantra GLS with power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, floor mats, CD player - I think Package 3. I took advantage of a $1,000 rebate. Since I had a trade-in for $8500, I basically got the 2002 Elantra for the price of the 2001 in addition to the rebate. It was a good deal, and I am happy. I had some issues with the dealership messing up the numbers in the fianancing post-sale although that has been worked out, and I got the deal I was supposed to get.
  • kctenderkctender Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2002 Elantra GLS. Silver. Only option - floor mats. Kind of boring but I don't need all the options. Paid $9999.00 + $495 delivery + $149.00 admin fees. Total - $10,643 cash. Sunflower gave me $1000 more on my trade than the Honda dealer offered so I only paid $260 in sales tax. (another savings) Owned 2 Hondas prior. They were good cars but I'll invest the $4,000 difference at the bottom of the market. I figure the market will rebound sometime in the next 5 years while Honda owners are still paying off their loans. The $4K should be worth $6-8K making my deal even better. I could then use that to buy their used Civic. Two cars for the price of one. Think about it. I also purchased an extended warranty for $866. It extends the manufacturers warranty to 8 years/100,000 miles. For another $100 you can buy the warranty and get all your money back if you never use the extended warranty. Basically I have a descent car covered under a transferrable warranty for 8 years/100,000 miles $0 deductible with free $30/day rental coverage. Lets see any manufacturer beat that! By the way it drives nice and quiet. Sunflower was great.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi all,

Has anyone traded in their 01 Elantra GLS? What did you get for it? So far the only offer I got was about $1000 below KBB wholesale which is about $7000 from a Hyundai dealer here in Souther CA. Mine is an 01 Elantra GLS, Auto, Moonroof, CD Player, Mud Flaps and Wind Deflector. It has 32500 miles.

BTW, I am thinking of getting a Elantra GT.

Thanks,

Shawn
  • vasdivasdi Member Posts: 1
    I feel so awful after finding this message board. I paid way too much for my new car. Total came to $17510 including $1000 rebate and everything else. This was the out the door cost including maintenance service contract, GAP insurance, and $500 down payment. I was really stupid. I hope my message helps someone not make this mistake. I love my car but I guess I need to find someone who's better at negotiating next time I buy a car.
  • elantranceelantrance Member Posts: 31
    Ouch!! Why'd you pay that much? You could have picked up a Sonata or Tibby for what you paid for your elantra! Research next time, my man...they took you to town, thats for sure. I paid about $5k less than you did for my '02 Elantra GLS!
    Chalk it up to one of those valuable "life lessons." Next time, you can use the tips from Edmunds.com, Consumer Reports etc. to negotiate a better deal, or if you don't think that's your game, bring someone along who can do it for you (or use a buying service, which may not get you the absolute best deal but will still save you a lot).
  • onthego1onthego1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys!
    Just purchased 2002 Elantra GT/hatchback
    5-spd trans, ABS/TCS, Pewter. Car pretty much maxed out. Package 11.
    Sticker price was $16,200 here in VA.
    I paid $14,500.

I think I made out fairly decent. They gave me just a tad under the KBB value on my trade in, which was a pleasant surprise!

PS I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Any feedback re: price?

Happy Driving to ya'
    My advice is to sell it yourself. A dealer is always going to rob you on the trade in. It's a hassle (the dealer will emphasize this to get you to trade) but you'll come out a couple thousand ahead. Use Edmunds to judge a fair value for your car. Print it out and hand each potential buyer a copy. Advertise the car in Auto trader. I'm in Souther Cal too. The Auto Trader has a 'run till it sells' deal. I did this about two months ago and got exactly what I asked for. It was a little more leg work, but worth the money.
  • mmppttmmpptt Member Posts: 7
    2002 GLS..... 13,800...out the door....including tax, tags, option package. # 4 (automatic transmission, electric sunroof with wind deflector, 100 watt stereo with c.d. and 6 speakers, cruise, keyless entry, mudguards, floor mats, alarm)

The past reliability.....scares me. (nearest dealer is 60 miles away......if it need's a lot of service.)

Have it in writing.....should i go for it?
  • bearsindenbearsinden Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences with Denver area Hyundai dealers? I'm ready to hit the bricks and I'd rather just bypass the problems.

Thanks
    I'm happy to report that over the weekend I have joined Driving Is Believing group and picked up a new, pewter Elantra GT w/auto over the weekend. I paid $13,725.00 plus tax and title at Amato Hyundai and can say that I was fairly please with the experience. They were fair on my trade (1998 Cav sedan) and I was treated well by my salesperson, Chad Larson. The only problem was they had to locate the car in Chicago and when I picked it up the previous dealer lost one of the keys and key fobs and the cigarette lighter was missing but both are being replaced this week.

So far the car has been great, especially compared to my previous conveyance! : ) I'm looking to many years of smooth cruising.

Happy motoring!

pw_eastside
  • myhyundaimyhyundai Member Posts: 8
    2002 ELANTRA GLS Automatic, Floor mats, mud guards, California emission, trunk cargo net

$11,600 on road ($10,500 for car +$1100 for tax,dmv,fee etc.)

Thanks.
    Nirav
  • dolphinz9dolphinz9 Member Posts: 4
    Pewter Elantra GT / manual / sunroof / ABS and Traction Control / mud guards / cargo net / floormats for 14,175. Opinions?
    sounds like a really good deal. I'm assuming that doesn't include taxes and trip charge. probably best to do a tmv value on Edwards. also is this in california? I'm looking for a good dealer in southern california
  • jgolden3jgolden3 Member Posts: 1
    bought one last night...fully loaded 5-speed in pewter.. abs, moonroof, plus cargo net and mats

$14435 in chicago..

josh
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    stupid question but did any of you consider the cavalier?
    im on the C&D boards debating the value of the elantra over the cavalier, any competitor and some guys just dont seem to get my point so im gonn ask you...try and be unbiased... its gonna be hard...the only comeback they can muster... : but hyundai reliability and resale value sucks...
  • spamletspamlet Member Posts: 22
    The Elantra blows the Cavalier out of the water. I don't know anyone that has one now, but a couple of years ago I knew a bunch of people that had them. They were POS.

I bought an Elantra after considering the Focus and the Sentra. I never considered the Cavalier knowing it's reliability record.

I would definitely choose the Elantra over the Cavalier due to the warranty, the standard equipment, and the lower price.
    th003g -

I can relate from past experience that the Elantra is a much more refined car than the current Cavalier. I have just recently switched from a 1998 Cav sedan to an Elantra GT and the differnce is very noticeable. The Elantra seems to be tighter and more responsive than the Cav and the interior design and materials are much better as well. Even comparing between my sister's 2002 Cav and the Elantra there is still a big gap.

On the other hand I must say that my Cav was completely reliable and didn't have any major problems with it. I'm expecting my Elantra GT to be even better. I think that the Cav's main problem is that it's such an old design compared to other cars in it's class.

As far as resale, I really got hurt on my trade by all the incentives that are currently being offered by GM. Why would someone want to by a 4-yr old car when you can by new with 0% financing or big cash incentives?

pw_eastside
    Let's see... Elantra has more comfortable seats, more interior room, much quieter, more standard power, more standard features, lower price (when comparably equipped), better warranty, smoother ride, choice of sedan or hatchback, smoother-shifting stick shift, more ergonomic and smoother switchgear, better crash-test scores, standard side air bags.

Cavalier has standard ABS, choice of 2 or 4 doors, much larger dealer network, available 150 hp.
  • elantradriverelantradriver Member Posts: 14
    It's a wonder that so many people are still buying that car, and it's twin the sunfire. The technology in those cars is ancient compared to the rest of the compact car segment, and they offer very little true value for the dollar. The Elantra beats the cavalier/sunfire hands down in every department. Now maybe when GM puts out the next model version of these two there can be a true comparison, I think that's slated for 2004 if I'm not mistaken. Until then I don't even think there's any point discussing comparison's between the two cars.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Rally Red. Paid $15305 for Auto, Pkg 11 plus mud guards and floor mats (Edmunds invoice price $15,227). Traded in a pearl white 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 18,250 miles. Got $8,054 for it, after an original offer of $7,770. Blue Book was $8,250, but dealer does not use Blue Book--rather, a wholesaler's program of some type--based on the price at which they can actually expect to resell the car. Out the door--$7,802.44 w/taxes & license transfer. There was nothing wrong with my old car--I had been eyeing the rally red hatch and reading the Edmunds boards for the past year, plus I turned 50 this year, so I decided to go for it! I continue to be a Hyundai Believer.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion is for new Elantra owners to post about their purchase experience. Comparison discussions belong on the Sedans vs. Sedans board.

Thanks for your cooperation!

• mljoha2mljoha2 Member Posts: 2
    After two weeks of searching for the right price, I am happy to say that as of last Saturday, I am a proud owner of a black 5 speed Elantra GT w/moonroof!! It has other options, such as a rear spoiler, mudguards, wind deflector, and cargo net that were not necessarily on my list of essentials, but since they were already added to the car I thought what the hell... The final price came to 14,200! If the car lives up to the warranty I will definitely stay a happy Hyundai customer.
  • joebeanajoebeana Member Posts: 5
    How are some people getting their GT's for soooo far below invoice?? I got my GT, obsidian black for $15,000+8%tax+$83 for plates and reg. That includes auto, sunroof, ABS and all the little things except sunroof defector. Sticker Price was 16,745. That is already 300 below invoice. Some people seem to be reporting getting cars for thousands below invoice, are you guys paying 13% interest on a 5 year loan or something?? I am very curious, thanx for any help you can give.