Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Might help if you broke down the details on the deal but yeah I think you got a good deal, especially if that was with the option 5 premium package.
  • Options
    scorp200scorp200 Member Posts: 6
    And floor mats as the only additional option. Sun and Sound package (everything else was standard).
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "The guys that I dealt with were friendly even though they tried to squeeze as much profit out of this car as possible. "

there wasn't much to be made (if anything) with that price. your car stickers for about 17,000 and the invoice is about 600-700 less than that. To get it for 14,900 is a GREAT deal, but don't act as if the dealer made anything on this. And of course they are going to try to make money, its what they are in the business for! lol...
  • Options
    your car should of had a sticker for about 19,680 (or a little more if it had XM). The invoice is around 18,538. There is currently a rebate for $1000. if you bought the car at invoice - rebate you would be at 17538 and then took off the 1500 for trade you get 16,000. I'm sure tt&l was more than 500, which means you got the car under invoice.

The price you saw on yahoo auto was not for the car you bought. The car on yahoo was the GLS with cloth interior. You bought the limited with leather with the sunroof and 6 disc cd player which is about 3 grand more than the car on yahoo autos.
  • Options
    that price of 16,500 that yahoo is showing is for a limited without the sun and sound package and is also a manual tranny.

The automatic is about 1,000, and the s&s is about 1300. add those 2 things in and you get 18,300 which should be very close to what you paid.
  • Options
    blumerblumer Member Posts: 7
    After extensive internet research, I made my rounds of the various dealers in my area expecting to look at an '08 GLS with the Popular Options package and a manual transmission, hoping to ultimately land in the mid-to-high 14,000s. To my astonishment, the last place we looked this evening had one remaining '07, an SE with sunroof. Of course, it's the Seattle Blue which my wife loves and can't be had on the '08s. Additionally, it's got floor mats, mudguards, and the spoiler, none of which we particularly wanted, but they're kind of fun. After talking (far longer than I planned to, and making my wife late for her meeting this evening), we were sitting at $16,200 before the $1000 rebate on the '07. This is undoubtedly the car I *want*, but this being a MUCH different package than I was expecting going in, I'm a little disoriented now. Can someone tell me how I'm doing at that price? Am I nuts to pass that up, or is there more that can come off? Thanks!
  • Options
    mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    Blumer- Let me be one of the first to say that seems to be a good deal before the rebate and taxes-I want the 07' seattle blue/black interior so bad. Anyways, I think all you miss between the 07' se and 08' gls is not much if I am mistaken you would be cheating yourself unless you intend to sell the car. I would really go after this one -even try to get a little more off maybe but you are doing good as far as I am concerned with the price now. Yes, to be nice you would be nuts to pass that deal or that car as it being a SE period-you get the alloy wheels, trip/mpg/mile monitor, plus the other stuff you already named. Get that se if not for you for your wife.
  • Options
    davis92069davis92069 Member Posts: 2
    HYUNDAI ELANTRA 21.5 MPG !!

YES !! that is the REAL Average Miles Per Gallon that I get for a 2006 Elantra HatchBack that I Paid $13,500 CASH + Tax Etc. The TV Ads LIE !!

I have NEVER !! gotten over 22MPG :lemon: in over 7500 that I have driven this GAS HOG ! :lemon:

And the DEALERS LIE !! and say Sir; you will get much better MPG when the car is driven over 5,000 miles . BS,BS,BS,

I wish I had bought a Corolla or any Small TOYOTA and paid maybe 1K or 2K more because I would have been Happier I think ? :shades:

All I can say is that WE ! the PUBLIC need more and Better PROTECTION from the ADVERTISEMENTS that Claim that we will get 27 MPG in Town and 35 MPG on a Trip and then find out that we ONLY get 21.5 MPG Average .

And I drive on the Freeways 65%+ all the time and I do the Speed Limit or 3 to 5 MPH Less than the speed Limit . :blush:

ALSO the Passenger seat needs to be Electronically ADJUSTED at the Factory so an ADULT weighing 89 LBS. will Activate the Electronis AIR BAGS that connect to the Front Passenger Seat . :cry:

People have told me that the Weight Limit has been as High as 125+ LBS Before the Air Bags will work correctly .

Even if my Wife jumped up and Down and adjusted the Passenger Seat every way possible ,, it would NOT !! activate her AIR BAG Electronic Connection because she only weighs 89 LBS .

So the Dealer Finally sent the Passenger Seat to the Factory and had it RE-Calibrated for her weight .

When Buying this GAS HOG !! the Salesman NEVER said ANYTHING about a HIGH Weight Limit on the Passenger Seat .

NOR was I told that the REAL MPG would be 21 to 22 MPG in REAL WORLD Driving .

Do I sound UNHAPPY ??? You are 100% CORRECT !

I wish I could Beat the Crap out of the OWNERS of HYUNDAI !!

And there is NO LEMON LAW ! for INCORRECT MPG Advertisements or LYING DEALERS .

There Really needs to be a LAW !! Against Car Manufactures telling you that you will get HIGH MPG then you find out the REAL TRUTH After !! you buy the Car .

I feel so USED !! and I want to let the WORLD Know the 100% TRUTH about HYUNDAI being LIARS !!!!!!!!!

If you Buy a Hyundai you will be SORRY !!!

I really Wish I could afford to Buy a Toyota Prius or a Honda Civic Hybrid that runs on Natural Cooking Gas ,, so you can fill it up from your HOME by using a Small Refilling Station Tank that is Installed on the Outside of your Home or Garage .

But Tooooooo Late Now !

WHEN ???? will be see a Hybrid that you can Quickly Re-Fill and get at least 200+ MPG between Fill Ups ????

Meaning ,, that I can Quickly Re-Charge Batteries or something like that and then drive at least 200 Miles before the Gasonline Engine needs to Engage .

Our Car Manufactures should have been Making and Selling HYBRID type cars on a LARGE Scale since at least 5 + years ago and not trying to PLAY Catch Up NOW !!

Sorry ! for this Long Winded Post ,, But I'm MAD as Hell and had to let the WORLD Know that HYUNDAI is a Piece of CRAP when it comes to MPG .

I really HATE being LIED to and decieved just so the HYUNDAI Company can make $$$$$$$$$$ .

PS ,, I will be Surprised if I ever see this posted on this Web Site . (:o)
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    FYI the EPA and not the car manufacturer determines what a vehicle's MPG rating is so take your complaint to the government for that.

That said, you should be getting better mileage so I would recommend having the vehicle serviced to see if there is something causing the reduced economy.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    you do UNDERSTAND that the EPA does the testing for fuel economy, right? by the numbers you posted that you hoped to get, i assume you have a manual tranny? the new EPA numbers for this vehicle are 23 city, 31 highway, if you do have the manual tranny. It does sound as if you need to have your vehicle looked at, cause others have posted that they get much better milage out of the same car.

Its really funny that you come here to yell and blast hyundai even though this site has nothing to do with hyundai.
  • Options
    tylerectylerec Member Posts: 6
    Tell us how you really feel. :)
  • Options
    All right, the deal is done and it's in the driveway. Tell me how I did! This is my first time buying a new car, and I think I did well, but a little confirmation would be great.

Quicksilver '08 SE Manual with floor mats and rear cargo tray.

MSRP: $17,000
    Sales Price: $15,000.00
    Sales Tax @ 6.7%: $1,005.00
    Filing Fee: $17.20
    Rebate: -$500.00
    Dealer Handling Fee $0 (usually $400, waived)
    OTD: $15522.20
  • Options
    Daaaaamn! As "Tony the Tiger" would say that is Grrrrrrreeeeaaat! No really, that is a damn good deal on a manual se elantra 08'. Congrats & enjoy. BTW, where are you located?
  • Options
    smoe8914smoe8914 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I just found this great forum and wanted to get your opinion on the price I'm being offered. I've been looking for a 2007 Elantra Limited with sun & sound and was offered a price of $16,299. Unfortunately, someone else purchased it, and now they're trying to offer me one without the sun & sound for the same price (and they're also denying that the original $16,299 included the S&S, which is BS, b/c I called and confirmed the next day). So anyway...I've talked to another dealer who said $16,540, and I'm waiting to hear back from another one. The issue I'm finding out is that these cars are few and far between and don't last long.

Is $16,299 for the limited a good deal? Should I try to get less? Maybe I should look at the 08 model...

Any input would be helpful as I would probably have to make a decision soon if the car is available.

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    smoe1914- As far as the price goes for the Limited 07' I would say its ok but there are other factors like the rebate being 1,000 I think, interest rate, and so that has to be included--pretty good if the rebate is good and has not been subtracted from the OTD price(Total). As for a 08' myself, If I could get a auto at 17K or lower depending on down payment etc I would be satisfied.

BiggCellus
  • Options
    smoe8914smoe8914 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, the price included the $1,000 rebate. So I went to another dealer today and there was only one 07 limited auto trans. in the entire eastern region. The guy got a hold of it for me and is asking $16,400 (before TTL & trade). So OTD price would be $17,469, not including trade. I'm only getting offered $200 for my trade-in (98 mercury mystique, 102K, OK condition but cracked rear bumper)...I know my car's not worth much, but I'm thinking that's a little low. I went to Carmax across the street from the dealer and they would give me $250 for it...so maybe it's in line...I dunno.

Anyway, seeing as this is the last 07 ltd seemingly anywhere, I have to commit within 24 hours probably. I'm really torn on what to do...

Any advice on if this is a good enough deal to pull the trigger or wait for an '08 would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
  • Options
    I am almost positive you can get a 08' limited or equal to the 07' limited for that price. I also know that you will gain a few more safety features too plus that extra year for it being new. If you can't get the 07' lower I would not sweat it there will be plenty of 08's. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    I'm in Colorado. That '07 Seattle Blue SE, black interior w/ sunroof we talked about earlier? We found that nearby. In calling around for comparable quotes, I ended up talking to a dealer in Denver who wanted to sell me that same car for a better price. Long story short, we made two 90-minute-each-way trips there, once thinking it was there when it wasn't yet, and a second time having been told on the phone in the morning it was there and available only to find out when we got there that it had been sold the previous night. :(

I spent the next week looking for another 07 Seattle Blue SE manual (even without the sunroof & black interrior), but could not find another one anywhere in the entire country. It was exactly what we would have ordered from the factory if we could have, there was one in the whole nation, and we happened to find it on our first night out. And we missed buying it by about 8 hours :(

So ... we had some good leverage to get a good deal on Second Best, and aside from the miscommunications about the availability of the original vehicle we wanted, we really were pleased over all with the deal. I've been driving it for a couple weeks now and love it. :)

And since I know you said you wanted the Seattle Blue w/ black interior, don't suppose you're the lucky one who ended up with that vehicle, were you? 'Cause it would sure be nice to know it went to somebody who wanted it rather than just picked it off the lot 'cause any car would do. :P
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply blumer- No, I have not bought my new Elantra yet although I started my research and what not a little over a year ago. I have tried to find all the available info about this car during this time and i am pleased to know that Hyundai is doing big things even if it doesn't show in the new CR. I am glad you have yours now and I hope I have helped others to make a good and stable decision within themselves when they go to get that new car. I cannot believe that combo is so hard to come by and I am stuck on that. I can change the exterior color-no problem but I want the black interior. scoping the 08's like a shark in a tank full of fish.
  • Options
    Yeah, Hyundai's consumer taste research baffles me. I'm astounded A) they cut the light blue in 08, and B) that the combo of SE + black interior + manual transmission is virtually impossible to find. Seems to me that if somebody wants the SE and the manual transmission, odds are they're going to want the black interior, too. Maybe you and I just have ultra-refined tastes.:) Good luck finding one you like--lemme know what you end up with when you do pull the trigger.
  • Options
    Hey blumer - I know what you mean about the color choices - as you mentioned the Seattle Blue - black interior that they did away with was by far the best combination IMO. To know how hard it has been for you to obtain a manual SE with black interior shocks me -I wonder if Hyundai understands how well the 07' SE and Limited as well as as the 08' SE and the package to add leather would do. It just seems like its a little to hard to locate what you want. I will keep you updated thou. We do have unique tastes - all people who cherish & like the new Hyundai :) .
  • Options
    Just to clarify, the one we ended up with does *not* have the black interior. First choice was the blue/black combo. Since blue was effectively out, silver was the second choice for exterior, and I don't think the black would have worked as well with it as it did with the blue, so the gray is okay :)
  • Options
    bbenson5bbenson5 Member Posts: 10
    What do you guys think of this deal? My Dad bought the 2008 Elantra GLS Automatic with popular package and floor mats for $14491 which included the $500 rebate for financing with Hyundai. Doc, Taxes and License were just over $1000 more and the OTD price was $15501.
  • Options
    bbenson5-That was a sweet deal on the 08 gls with the package and auto-congrats.
  • Options
    bwaller78bwaller78 Member Posts: 23
    Hello all, just wanting to know if i got decent deal. I got 07 elantra with at, sunroof and xm radio package for 17,000+ ttl. I got the 1k rebate and 500 for financing with hmfc, and 500 owner loyalty rebate(both where not offered but mentioned it and dealer honored). I was upside down on my trade(2005 tuscon) by 2000, but dealer ate 200 of that because they where off on my payoff amount after deal was made. And got the 10 yr 100000 mile warranty for 1500(msrp was 2000).Here a breakdown of the numbers:

+1317(tax at 7.75%)
    +1800(negative equity)
    +1500(warranty)
    = 21617-2000 rebate(1k manf rebate+hmfc bonus+ owner loyalty bonus) so OTD price was 19617

I personally think it was a good deal, considering sticker was about 17500, i was in and out of the dealer in 2.5 hrs. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You basically got the car for $15,000 after rebate, which is pretty good but not great for a 2007, IMO. Personally I think there was more room on the warranty also, but the main thing is that you think it was a good deal and are satisfied with it, so now just enjoy the car! :)
  • Options
    caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    All over Southern Cal, they are offering Elantras gls model at 12,999....and gls Sonatas at 14,999....Elantra se's automatic, floor mats..nothing else, for 13,999. That will give you a good idea what a real good deal is tom compare against.
  • Options
    One thing to keep in mind when comparing deals with those from CA is that CA Elantra ATs get an extra $1000 rebate. (Other states may get this also.)
  • Options
    rva1217rva1217 Member Posts: 1
    This is an offer I am considering:
    MSRP - 19,965
    Invoice - 19,208
    Tags, Taxes, License, Fees - 1027.26
    Trade - 750 (2002 Kia Spectra)
    OTD (includes TTL and Fees) = $17,802.26
    Options: Prem and Leather Package, Carpet Floor Mats, and Sunroof Deflector. Tinted Vehicle windows (included but not reflected on sticker)
    Appears to be approx. $1675 below invoice with vehicle price at $17,525???
  • Options
    rva1217- Seems like a nice deal for the 08. If I were you I would try a little lower maybe but overall that price I would be happy to live with especially being a loaded 08 Elantra and auto which is exactly what I am looking to buy.. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    ontheflooronthefloor Member Posts: 1
    On Tuesday I had the following agreement in place for a 2008 Elantra Auto GLS

MSRP: 17080
    Negotiated Price: 15386
    OTD: 16605

At this point I had no trade in or down payment. With taxes and other charges I had an OTD price of 16,605. I wanted to take the car home and give it a "one-day" tryout going to work and starting it in the cold.

I went back on Wed. with a 2001 Galant that has three out of four cylinders working but otherwise in fair/good condition. After I was given and accepted the offer of 500 for it the sales manager came over and had some "good, but confusing news" for me. I was told that a 1000 rebate would be going into place shortly and if I bought the car at 16605 only to find out two days later there would be a rebate it would be a problem. So the new deal is as follows:

MSRP: 17080
    Negotiated Price: 15868
    Trade-in: 500
    Rebate: 1000
    OTD: 15572 w/ taxes and the like.

I was then told that the new negotiated price was raised $500 because their was a dealer rebate in place and it will be going away when the new rebate begins.

I am a little apprehensive about what took place. Yes, the price of the car went down $1000 in one day but I believe that if I came in next week I could have gotten a lower price. Any idea what happened?
  • Options
    brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    Im in the Alanta area looking for a 2007 or 2008 elantra gls w/preferred package, wonder what anyone has paid for that out the door in my area, thanks bruno
  • Options
    jumbliesjumblies Member Posts: 2
    14700 SE pop equip package. OTD w/ TTL. Rebate helped a lot.
  • Options
    Thanks, was it a 2008 or 2007 and what dealership did you get this price at, thanks again bruno
  • Options
    prismter7prismter7 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I purchased the '08 Hyundai Elantra with the popular equipment package. The side sticker was right around $16K. The side sticker says that it comes with keyless entry/alarm. When I went to the finance department to pay, they said that the alarm is built into the car and is $600 more if I want it. If not, then they will disable the alarm. I obviously told them I don't want the alarm and they put my key in the ignition and did something really fast (30 seconds) under the steering column to disable the alarm system. How come I don't get the full alarm system? What alarm system does it come with then. The panic button alarm? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    This seems very fishy to me. An alarm IS built into the Elanta's remote locking system. For example, if you try to open a door or the trunk, even with a key, w/o using the keyfob button, the alarm sounds. If what the dealer did is deactivate this feature on your Elantra because you would not pay $600 extra, I think that is terrible.

One idea: go to another Hyundai dealer and tell them the alarm doesn't seem to work, and ask them if they can check it and "fix" it for you, under warranty. ;)
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Sounds like this dealer was trying to screw you out of $600. It's worse than the shady dealers who want to charge extra to activate the auto door locks on Sonatas or Azeras when that feature is standard equipment and is supposed to be activated by the dealer.

In your case, the SOB's went to the extra trouble and work to deactivate a standard feature which was already activated, just because they couldn't pick your pocket for an extra $600. They should be reported to Hyundai.

On one of these threads I've read about people having to do an ignition thing like you mention after the battery was disconnected. It may be covered in the owner manual. Or, as previously said take it to another dealer to be "fixed" under warranty AND avoid the selling dealer for maintenance service.
  • Options
    inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Maybe the dealer disabled an alarm system they had installed themselves, and you still have the standard system which comes with the Elantra.
  • Options
    That's possible, but doesn't follow from the description of the situation--i.e. "the alarm is built-in". Easy to test, though... lock the doors with the remote and try to open one with the key.
  • Options
    Anyone buy an Elantra in the Dallas area, Im lookin for an Elantra Gls w/pop any color automatic or manual, also a new 2007 would be fine, any thoughts?, thanks Joe
  • Options
    laelantralaelantra Member Posts: 2
    I recently got an O.T.D. offer for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra Se (with Automatic Transmission and Sunroof Package. No leather seats.)
    The offer was 17,895. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? I almost think it's too good and am wondering if I'm missing something. Out the door price includes everything like car price, destination charge, taxes, title, registration and all dealer fees correct?

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    Well it depends on factors such as sales tax, and document fees to help determine whether you got a good deal or not.
  • Options
    laelantralaelantra Member Posts: 2
    Ok here's the best I could break it down using Edmund's calculator:
    Approximation made for car price since I've been negotiating OTD total.
    Vehicle Sales Price: 15750
    Destination Charge: 620
    Sales Tax (8.25% in LA): 1299
    Title, Registration, & Other Costs: 236
    Total comes to 17905 which is a little more than they offered but it's in the ballpark.

Thoughts? Thanks again!
  • Options
    I think message 2301 showed a price of $13,999.00 for the SE model with no additional options for So Cal but your price doesn't sound too bad.
  • Options
    tyrontyron Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new elantra last saturday. they had $1000 cash back or 3.9% financing over 72 months. I negotiated a price using the $1000 cash back, because i was going to finance it through my credit union. To make a long story short, they could give us a better rate than what my union could. We sat down in the F & I office and the gentleman doing the loan said he got us financed through hyundai at 4.9%. Then he said that we couldn't use the $1000 cash back since we didnt qualify for the 3.9%. Prior to this, the sales manager kept on going into the F & I's office and closing the door. I negotiated a pretty good price, and i think they are just trying to get some money back out of me. Can anyone else had this experience? Should I still receive that discount?

Thanks
  • Options
    When the finance guy said you wouldn't get the $1000, you should have said, "OK then, I'll use my credit union financing and I'll take the $1000 rebate." Does your state have a 3-day (example) right of recisssion of purchase contracts? If so you might be able to get out of the deal, if you want to. What actually happened? Did you sign for the 4.9% with no rebate?
  • Options
    I just bought a 2008 Red SE, floor mats, XM. $17,100 OTD

Question - Does the odometer stay on all the time? I went out to my car at lunch and noticed the the odometer was displayed before I even unlocked the car.
  • Options
    I forgot to add that it is an automatic.
  • Options
    Yes. Hertz and service writers love that. :)
  • Options
    farealfareal Member Posts: 6
    2008 Silver Elantra GLS, Automatic, Popular Pkg, Floor Mats

$14,683 out the door

That was including the $1000 California automatic transmission rebate, plus another $1000 dealer rebate, plus a approximately $730 off of MSRP.

MSRP for this vehicle is $17,080