Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    who here thinks paying 17.5k gls is an 'ok' deal?
    i still haven't found out if illinois has a cool off period yet...
  • jasonazjasonaz Member Posts: 2
    Personally, I would be plenty upset at getting that price! I don't blame you at all. Granted, this is why research needs to be done beforehand. Not much you can do now unless your state has laws to allow you to return it (I know Arizona doesn't).

I got my Elantra yesterday. Stock SE model with spoiler and floor mats for $15663 (14965 + doc fees and window etch) after rebate. I test drove at the dealership, North Scottsdale Hyundai, then got all my quotes through Edmunds here. Afterward I called up and gave my initial sales guy the opportunity to match the best price. No BS at all from him, so I'm very pleased. Plus I really like the car so far!
    called towne hyundai and got the OTD quote of 14.3k on the friggin phone.

wow.

i bet those sleazy salesmen are sleeping like babies at night. how cool is to rip people off? wow. i'll never buy a hyundai ever again. and i'm friggin korean!
  • jasonazjasonaz Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to blame Hyundai. I wouldn't shop at that dealership again, but if you think you can find any brand of car without sleazy salesmen, well... :confuse:
    i know..

i bought 2 friggin cars from them in last 3 week.. i don't deserve this man.. and they are still 'we don't know what you are talkin about man'

they know exactly what i'm talkin about but keeps lying about it. i just hate when people lie about things.

most likely i'm gonna end up trading the car within next 6 months. i just can't suck it up and let it go.

i told the salesman about towne hyundai and he said anybody can give you the quote over the phone... wow. unfriggin believable.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Joe, that salesman is blowing smoke out of his (you know what).

We have bought from Towne and several friends also.

Their quotes are good. No last minute BS.

Price out the Elantra, equipped however you like. Write down both the MSRP & invoice price. For the month of April Towne is selling Elantras @ $1900 under invoice and then you deduct the $2K rebate.

A GLS with the option package (not sunroof) and floor mats has an invoice of $16,499. Towne's price would be $12,599 plus $189 doc fee, $200 for title & registration, plus your state's sales tax.

If you want to prove your point to those sleeze balls, got to townehyundai.com and click on "internet pricing." Then click on Elantra.
    and they would just say, it's a scam. they told me again that lost money selling me a car so cheap. wow. they think i'm stupid. yes, i'm stupid enough to pay $3000 more, but i'm not that stupid.

least they could do was give me free oil change, free car wash, or just try to make me to calm down. they were just adding fuel to the fire when they say things like 'there is no mark up' 'we lost money selling cars' the manager was somethin too. he wants to know where these dealers are so he can buy cars from them. amazing.

could any of you guys scan the receipt and post them somewhere? you could do anonymously..

more i think about this, more i don't want to drive my new car. should not have come to this board.. :)
    anyone paid more than 16k for gls?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I'm curious, did you go to any other dealerships in your area? Also curious as to why you gave up the rebate when the interest rate isn't that great and shouldn't have been tied to the rebate. Also did you check to see what the TMV price was here on Edmunds for your area?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It looks like Towne is selling only their GLS Elantras for $1950 off invoice, before rebates. Their web site still says, "Call" for the pricing on the SE. Unless you know something different?
    I'm curious, did you go to any other dealerships in your area? Also curious as to why you gave up the rebate when the interest rate isn't that great and shouldn't have been tied to the rebate. Also did you check to see what the TMV price was here on Edmunds for your area?
    ok, here is what really happened.

i was on my way to work after my lunch and my beater died in the middle of a busy street. i bought it 2 weeks ago! it stopped in the middle of the road right in front of the hyundai/vw dealer. what a coincidence! now let's get a new car! lol

my beater was 1990 civic lx wagon. i was hoping that it will last me a 6-7 months before i buy a car that i really wanted, a genesis v8 sedan or something in 35k range.

i towed the car to the dealer, and decided to buy the elantra because i was tired of car shopping. before i bought the 20 year old civic, i test drove many cars. new accord, altima 3.5, azera, even slightly used bimmers and audi's. couldn't pull a trigger and i really was burnt out shopping for a car, so i came home with a beater. on top of that we just bought our santa fe 3 weeks ago, so go figure. i really really was tired of looking at cars.

when i bought the beater, i was so happy. it was a gamble, but the car was only $500. i have never bought a car so cheap, but i was happy because it ran well, and i was worry free. i bought it from auction, and i enjoyed watching auction for the first time. it was a refreshing experience for me even though i was getting a junk. it was fun while it lasted. that auction guy was somethin. i've never seen a person who speaks so fast! it was a great entertainment. but once it stopped on the road, i didn't want to fix it because that would cost more than the car itself.. so i instantly thought i should buy a cheap but reliable hyundai which was right in front of me. lol i thought i was very smart to buy a reliable car with 10 year warranty. i was shocked how roomy it was when i rented last year, and i do like the swooping curves. unfortunately, i didn't do any research on elantras because my budget 3 weeks ago were over 30k. i reseached camcords, used luxury cars, but not on civics, mazda3's, rabits and etc.

if i never knew that i got ripped off by 3k then i would've been the happiest man on the planet. my wife loves the car when i brought home and showed her. we actually like this much better than my wife's previous car, 06 civic lx.

but once i found that i gave them $2000-$3000. i felt dirty and used.

well, i'm sure i'm gonna move on someday, but i will still try to gather enough info so i can shove it to their faces. they mocked my intelligence by saying 'edmunds are board full of liars.' well, i don't think you guys are liars. why would anybody come here lie about things? why?

they collectively laughed at the poster with 13900 OTD price on gls and said to me that they aren't real. they are doing this to make hyundai look bad and so on.

i almost puked. i know many people who bought hyundai's 4-5000 below msrp. my fiance(now my wife) almost bought a 06 sonata lx 2 years ago for 18.6k OTD. that's a v6 with leather for godsake.

i know hyundai's can be had 4-5000 cheaper than the msrp. i didn't question them when i was buying elantra because they were telling me that my credit score of 611 is so low and my wife is a grad student so we can't get a rebate along with 4.5% shouldn't have played the 'payment game', but paying $277 a month felt so cheap compared to my usual $520 a month 2-3 years ago with my acuras and bmws. i had enough cash to buy the car, but i decided not to because i want to put down at least 25% on the house we are looking to buy next year.

i guess they convinced me. i figured it's an 08 so it would get cheaper in summer, but not in april. so i just signed it and bought the car..

well, i'm not gonna stop this fight yet. i want to talk to that manager once again and tell him that he is a liar who would do anything to sell a car. i will gather enough evidence that he is charging way too much for his cars. i don't mind paying 500-1000 more, but paying 3000k more without getting the rebate makes me puke.
    Don't bother gathering evidence. They know the score at that dealership.

If I were you, I'd go into the store some day and ask to talk with the owner (maybe call first to make an appointment). Then calmly tell your story to the owner, and how his/her salespeople act. And tell the owner that they have lost a customer for life, you will never step foot in that dealership again (including taking all the service work for your two Hyundais elsewhere), and that you will tell your story to as many people as you possibly can and urge them not to do business with that dealership. Then say good-bye and leave, and put it behind you (literally).

If you have lots of time on your hands, you could see if the dealership is a member of the Better Business Bureau (many are), and if so file a formal complaint with them. As far as legal action, technically there could be a case for material misrepresentation by an agent (the sales rep or manager), but then you are talking LOTS of time and aggravation (and maybe money), and in the end it's probably unwinnable because it's their word against yours. Also I think when you buy a Hyundai they make you sign something about all disputes will be put to binding arbitration. At least I remember something like that the last time I bought a Hyundai, 4 years ago.

P.S. You say you did not get the rebate. Did you not get either the $1000 general rebate or the $500 Hyundai loyalty rebate (because of your Santa Fe)? If not, definitely you need to take that up with the dealership, and with HMA, because that is either a huge mistake or fraud on their part, and needs to be rectified.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Man, in the absence of any cooloff period in your state, after you have signed and accepted delivery all you are doing is giving this bunch something to laugh it up about in the lunchroom. (over an above the usual stuff) What does "proving yourself right" to a bunch of mostly high school grads (if that) do?, especially when most of them may be gone 6 months from now. Most managers take training classes on how to look incredulous at competing offers from other dealers anyway. I doubt if there is a dealer in the nation that even bothers to join the BBB. They'd all have thousands of complaints. With about an equal# (much fewer) of glowing reports each.

Do you know what interest rate you would could qualify for with a 610 score? Is the loan from hyundai? Perhaps they gave you 2000 there. If there is an actual factory to customer rebate (not dealer incentive), they cannot discriminate and not give it to you. If the 4.9% is in leiu of it then that was it. If not you can get the rebate forms and send them in.(this is rare as it usually isn't not given) if you only left 1500 or 2500 on the table you did downright peachy as a walk in (who are always hi balled
    and checked to be a payment buyer) if they gave you 600 for a junker you stepped out of thats worth 0 then it may be 2000 off or more. The wife loves the car and you probably got about an average deal for a walk in who accepted the first or second throw, especially if they knew you were de-horsed. The staff didn't kill themselves to give you a deal in the top 20% of deals in the nation and offered no free oil change. You feel dirty and used. Great.

This is all a complete joke compared to real estate. Your subsequent home purchase should be primary on your mind. A 25000 down payment and more can disappear immediately or in months with an over-caffenated appraiser (which they all are) and even a market with a slight bit of drop left in it. This is unrelated, but you need it. A bit of insight:

1) Almost all appraisers for practical purposes are idiots
    2) Do your own comps. Look up the actual xfer prices on the county recorders website of properties you looked at in the past few months. Look at a lot of homes.
    3) Have your own attorney and get it inspected... twice.

There are several good books on home buying, go to the library and bone up. The last thing you need to be doing after consumating a 300,000 deal is going to some appraisers office like this dealerships office and saying "but your certified appraisal says my home is worth 300000 but the guy next door's house with more square feet and a huge hot tub has just sold for 260000!" Prepare for unanswered phone calls. Not preaching. Just speaking from experience.

You're in the wrong frame of mind. Drive the Hyundai until whenever, then trade it on the $35000 Stutz v8 Wagonmobile you have your eye on. .

Good luck
    --jjf

ok, here is what really happened.

i was on my way to work after my lunch and my beater died in the middle of a busy street. i bought it 2 weeks ago! it stopped in the middle of the road right in front of the hyundai/vw dealer. what a coincidence! now let's get a new car! lol
  • mort4371mort4371 Member Posts: 27
    Joe,

At some point, you're going to have to choose to (mentally) let it go, and just enjoy the car. Stewing over it won't do a thing at this point, other than raising your blood pressure and preventing you from enjoying something that you otherwise would.

While it certainly is no fun to find out what you did, best to just consider it a lesson learned. Given your apparent level of new car pricing/dealing awareness (by no means an insult; that puts you in the large majority of car buyers), I'd be willing to wager you've left a few grand on the table on every new car you've ever purchased -- the only difference is that this time you found out. Finding out hasn't been fun, as is plain from your posts, but I bet it will save you some serious bucks on every new car you buy from here on out...look at it that way. ;)

And, as the other poster mentioned, use it as a cautionary experience for the upcoming house-buying. You don't want to feel like you got a bad deal on something that costs ten times what a car does. Good luck!
    I doubt if there is a dealer in the nation that even bothers to join the BBB.

It's very common where I live (Twin Cities). Maybe not the case everywhere though.
    i will remember the day i got ripped off. i'll never forget about it. i'll learn from this mistake and i will never buy a car from a dealer ever again unless i do extensive 2-3 months of research even if was a budget car like elantra. print the edmunds pages out, print out dealers quotes and be prepared. or i will just pay cash to a private party and get a decent used car from now on. my pop did that for last 20 years. dealers make me puke.

i'm going to trade this car within next few months for something. i just don't think i can live with it. i don't care if i'm losing money. money isn't even issue here.

and you bet i will never go near to that dealer. bunch of [non-permissible content removed] and immoral human beings.

when i bought my santa fe 3 weeks ago, there were 2 couple screaming at the one of the financing guy. they were so angry and they screamed and yelled at them for 5 minutes. i thought he was about to punch the guy in his face. i'm not making this up. i was right there watching the whole scene. maybe they found out they got ripped off just like me. lol
    The more I hear about this story the more skeptical I become. You witnessed this incident and still bought a second car from them? Something just doesn't add up and I suspect that either there's more to your story than you're saying or you're just trying to stir the fire like I've seen elsewhere on these forums but in either case you have no one to blame but yourself, you saw how things were going on your first purchase and yet bought from them again, bottom line is you chose to accept the deal so learn to live from your mistake.
  • mort4371mort4371 Member Posts: 27
    If you won't let it go, would you at least take it out of here?

You've gotten lots of good answers, info, and advice, yet you're still ranting. You're acting as reasonable and rational as my 5yo boy does when he's pitching a fit. I'm kind of getting skeptical about the story, too, but at this point it doesn't much matter. You've done your venting, which is all you seem interested in...what more do you want from us?

"i don't care if i'm losing money. money isn't even issue here."

Uh.. OK. If you say so.

However, everything you've written thus far says it's the ONLY issue here.
    dude. it's a price paid / buying experience forum. i have my right to b!tch about the injustice. i'm just sharing my horrible experience with gurnee hyundai. i'm so mad that i bought 2 cars from them. i paid 17.5k for GLS for godsake. wouldn't you be mad if you were in my situation? yes, i'm angry at myself as well. i guess i'm naive enough to overpay by three grand. lol. somebody just shoot me.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    That's great... but, now it's time for this forum to move on....

Thanks!

kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kwbill24kwbill24 Member Posts: 2
    I know this dealer is mentioned frequently. Their pricing works as advertised. We drove two hours from PA to pick up our car. The buying process was straight forward. While completing the paperwork my salesman (he must be sean to be believed) found a $50 error in my favor from his telephone quote. My only quibble is that they charge to etch the windows of every vehicle. The utility and value of which is in the eye of the beholder. Towne handled the out-of-state registration and sales tax. I left with a full tank of gas and as a very happy customer.
  • siennacrazysiennacrazy Member Posts: 7
    Yeh I know this is a good deal,Here in VA the taxes are less only 3% which was $432.
    This is a GLS with popular equipment package w/o sunroof.This is automatic , everything power and Hyundai's road side assistance for free.
    I was able to bring home my elantra for $13400/-
  • siennacrazysiennacrazy Member Posts: 7
    Rather than worrying about what you have paid after your purchase you should have done a basic research.You should have taken a rent a car for a week which would have cost you $150/- and buy sometime to do enough research .I was in your situation .But I negotiated with the dealer using the prices posted here.The dealer told the same to me that this was unrealistic price,but i was firm on my bargain and later the dealer agreed upon the price.I was able to bring home my elantra gls AT,power package for 13400/-I feel sorry for you.
    what drives me crazy is that those salesman and their manager will laugh at $13400.. they laughed at 15000!

seriously they think i'm a lunatic.

i love my car and it still a huge bargain for me financially. i got a nice car for $17.5k instead of 35k entry luxury cars. no big deal. i'm sure there was a point when there was no rebate at all for a brand new 07 elantra.

but i'm really p!ssed at them for collectively mocking my intelligence. i really wish some of you can give me a copy of a receipt just to say 'i'm right, you are wrong' at them. just want to throw it at that sleazy manager who mocked my intelligence for 30 minutes.

how could they look into my eyes say things like "we lost money, and there was no profit' not once but multiple times? do they really think i'm stupid?

well, sorry for releasing my anger in this forum. i'll stop here.

but i'll really appreciate if any of you can scan me a receipt..

my email address is
    jcdesigncreative@hotmail.com
    He'll survive ;) Hell, even the folks 100+k underwater and paying $3000/mo for their homes will survive (i guess, debtors prison is gone).

If the has problems with the auto folks wait until he runs into the real estate folks. their bs is always much more pricey)

....,but i was firm on my bargain and later the dealer agreed upon the price.I was able to bring home my elantra gls AT,power package for 13400/-I feel sorry for you.
  • fargondfargond Member Posts: 23
    Looking at one in ND. Local dealer is only one within 4-5 hours (Minneapolis has 4 of them I believe, none in other 3 surrounding states to ND).

Best offer from them for Elantra SE Auto base is MSRP+Dest - $2000 in rebates and extra local employer discount = ~$16.0K + TTL = ~$17.1K OTD. And that's requiring them to transfer in, and not in the color we want.

Called a Minneapolis dealer, their best offer using the slightly higher Minnesota Tax (6.5% vs ND 5%) and registration fees was $16,700 OTD for the same color we didn't want but might accept given price. Would adjust downward on settlement to adjust for ND tax/fees so about $16,500 OTD or a bit less.

This is a LOT higher than anyone else seems to be paying OTD. Apparently the SE's are getting very hard to get in any color, silver being impossible. Plus the region gains an extra cost due to low/no competition. This is a lot higher than Towne / Fitz web links that have been previously posted.

:confuse: Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on options. (We must have an SE for ESB/TC/EBA for winters here, GLS even with PE package not acceptable.)
  • rpatte102rpatte102 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a GLS Automatic w/ popular equipment in Central Kentucky last week. Looks like I overpaid a little compared to prices I'm seeing here. Thought I got a good deal since it was $300 below Edmund's TMV price. Oh well, this is my first car purchase so I learned a few things going forward. Break down was:

$15,000 Price (After 1500 rebate)
    $1073 Tax (Ohio rate-6.5%)
    $299 Document and Dealer fee

$16,372 Total

I know its not the best deal but I still love the car. Plus, I'm young (21) so 1-2k is not that much in the long run. Oh well. One thing I leaned is that I hate negotiating.
  • dabears3dabears3 Member Posts: 3
    I have been shopping around for used Elantras (2007s). I'm in the Chicago area and have been very particular in getting a used 07 for 13K OTD. I have had no success to my surprise considering there is a $1500 rebate on new ones.

Anyways, today I called a local dealer who said they could get me a brand new 08 Elantra for just under 14K with the cheaper popular option package (no sunroof). Considering dealer invoice on these are about 15k, this seems to be a really good deal.

I have a few questions for anyone who wants to help: 1) I have seen some recent posts here talking about a 2k rebate but on the Hyundai website it only says 1.5K. Is there another rebate coming for May that I don't know about?
    2) Many local dealers are saying Chicago tax is 9.25% but I thought sales tax is a state amount, not by city. Is this the dealers way of increasing the cost a little bit?
    3) Is sales tax included on cost prior to rebate? In other words, should I expect to pay the tax on the 14K cost of the vehicle or the cost before any reductions?
    4) Considering the dealership is offering this brand new GLS for $14K - My OTD cost should be approx $15,600 - right?
    5) Compared to all the shopping and research I've done for the last month, this seems like a fantastic deal. However, after reading some posts here, it only seems mediocre. Is this the best I can do ($15,600 OTD)?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    1) Rebates vary by location. Some states like NJ and NY get a $2000 rebate, others get only $1500.
    2) Some cities levy sales tax in addition to state sales tax.
    3) The rules for calculating sales tax before or after rebates varies by state. I know in MN sales tax is post-rebates. But other states calculate tax before rebates are deducted. The Web site for the Department of Revenue for your state should state the rules for that. Also any dealer's finance dept. would know, they do the calculation every day.
    4) Hard to tell what your OTD price would be since you haven't told us what the tax, license, and other fees would be.
    5) No matter how good a deal you get, there will always be someone else who gets a better one.
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    As I mentioned previously, I got my SE(with unwanted spoiler) for 14850 OTD. I suggest you TowneHall Hyundai in Denville NJ and get a quote like I did. Maybe they will fax you one. You might not be able to get the same price now for the SE with the consumer reports article out for more than a month now.
  • dabears3dabears3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply!!

Sales tax is 9.25% and I'm not sure what title/license is - my guesstimate is $300.

Since TTL varies by state, I guess my real question is this: Is 14K for a brand new 2008 Elantra GLS with popular option package (no sunroof) a good deal?

I thought it was until I started reading these boards. Then I was browsing the Sonata boards (my initial desire was a Sonata but changed due to price) and see that some people are getting new 2008s for 15Kish OTD.

It's starting to look like this varies by state and perhaps various dealerships get better kick-backs from the manufacturer. I know I want either a Sonata or Elantra but since I'm in no hurry, I am determined to get the best deal possible. Living in Chicago seems to be a dis-advantage as far as low cost.

Anyways, thanks for the info!!
    If it has an automatic, I'd say it's a pretty good deal, if the $1500 rebate is the only one you qualify for.

One thing to consider is get a quote from Towne Hyundai and use it for negotiating power with your dealer. It's not that far a drive from Towne to Chicago, all freeway, and you could get a cheap one-way flight to LaGuardia. Just a thought.
  • mlk2000mlk2000 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an Elantra GLS in Valley Steam, NY with automatic transmission, Popular Equipment package, mud guards, and floor mats.
    Out the door price after $2000 rebate was $13,060.00 plus tax and tags.
  • bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    OK I have been reading this thread with some interest. We are buying a third car because my wife can't park the truck at work with the narrow parking lanes and I now need the car because I travel alot and gas is going up. So the Elantra seems like an nice compact with a mid-size interior. Everyone is across the board with pricing. Tell me how this sounds.

2008 LE with 5-speed and the Premium Pkg. with sunroof.

Sticker $ 18,265 (they had there added crap with and additional $1k, regional pricing, clean up misc. stuff and made them remove off the price sheet before we even started)

I offered 15k and they countered with $15,677 (they say this is invoice)

This included 2K rebate.

I will need to add 5% sales and about $ 105 in fees.

After seeing some posts it looks like there maybe some better deals out there. No trade and is a cash deal. Anybody know a good dealer in Southwestern PA?
    The going price for a 17000 gls is about 13000 more or less. An 18000 SE (I assume that is it) should go for about 14000 (the 1000 sticker difference) but most dealers are holding out for much more sometimes because of their low inventory. A good writeup in a magazine has given the se a bump. Your call. You may be able to get a dealer to let go of one for 15000 or less end of month.(email for bids) Try to get as close to 14 as possible or just go for the gls.

--jjf

2008 LE with 5-speed and the Premium Pkg. with sunroof.

Sticker $ 18,265 (they had there added crap with and additional $1k, regional pricing, clean up misc. stuff and made them remove off the price sheet before we even started)

I offered 15k and they countered with $15,677 (they say this is invoice)

This included 2K rebate.

I will need to add 5% sales and about $ 105 in fees.

After seeing some posts it looks like there maybe some better deals out there. No trade and is a cash deal. Anybody know a good dealer in Southwestern PA?
    You are correct, I meant SE.

The $ 2,000 is direct rabete to consumer or to dealer? If it is direct to me then the rebate should not even be in the negotiation IMHO. I'll shoot for $ 15,000 OTD as opposed to 15k for the vechicle.
    j.

I already did as you recommended last night, I emailed four other dealers and asked to see there best price. I asked them to give me there best price and then show the rebate. Wednesday is the last day of month, i will keep you posted.
  • veerasamveerasam Member Posts: 6
    I think you are referring to manual tran. See my earlier post for an auto (without sunroof) bought in southwestern PA @ Bowser for $13,900 OTD. Tell Jeff Empey I referred you.
    They are probably the closest to me. About 1 hour.

If I don't get an email reply tomorrow I'll give him a call.
    Yes, the $2000 (or $1500 depending on state) rebate is to the consumer. However, $15k OTD for an Elantra SE as you described would be a really exceptional deal right now, given the low availability and popularity of the SE--unless there's almost no sales tax and low license fees in your state. Consider that invoice for the car you are looking at is around $17,500, or $15,500 after the $2000 rebate. So to get it for $15k OTD you're going to have to convince the dealer to part with this rare and popular car for, what, $2000 or so under invoice? I'm not saying it's not possible, but could be real tough to do. That kind of discount would be easier to get on a GLS vs. an SE. Good luck.
    Dealer told me that invoice was $ 15,677 or something like that. Hopefully the other 4 dealers I emailed will get back to me tomorrow so I can compare. Either way the info. here was useful and I will use everyones data to make an informed decision.
    The dealer must have included the $2k rebate when they quoted the invoice to you. To verify that, you can check out the invoice pricing right here at edmunds.com.
  • wiesmanwiesman Member Posts: 11
    Purchased a Hyundai Elantra GLS with Power Package for $13100 out the door two weeks ago from dealer in Fairfax VA. Sticker was $17,000. 3 1/2% sales tax in Virginia and $295 dealers prep fee, and $35? registration fee. So about $12400 before tax and fees. Dealer threw in mats. Also dealer in Alexandria VA which is desperate to make sales. His new car department is selling to his used car department in order generate sufficient volume. I don't see that much of a difference between the GLS and SE models to justify the incremental amount. I would consider taking a short drive to Northern Virginia.

Ron
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    The big difference between the SE and GLS is the electronic stability control which Consumer Reports considers a must have.
    That plus 16" alloys vs. 15" steelies (may help improve handling a bit), leather-covered wheel with audio controls, leather-covered shifter, telescopic wheel (can be important for a comfy driving position), and trip computer with mpg meter.
    Well there are only two dealers that have the SE with Premium Pkg and 5 Speed. Both are close in proximity to me. They are hoovering around $ 15.7k

I just found out that Southwestern PA has a $500 autorama discount and dealers have some dealer cash avaliable (based on volume sales) so the $ 15k is looking realistic.
    If I go with a 2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS (Vehicle Options: Automatic, Splash Guards, Floor Mats, Popular Equipment Package) with a MSRP of $17,165 I can get for $13,899 - $ 500 plus a possible $ 500 if they meet quota.

Unfortunatly, this one does not have the electronic stability control which I want.
  • gofishgofish Member Posts: 24
    Auto or stick?