Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    Auto,
  • platyaseplatyase Member Posts: 2
    We just took possession of a Elantra SE automatic for $15K OTD. I emailed a few dealers in the area requesting quotes on a base model SE, and Herb Connolly (in Natick, MA) emailed back with a price of $14,200 for an SE automatic with floor mats and mudguards. A few other dealers replied with quotes around invoice price or with the "stop on in and make a deal" line. I went with Herb Connolly because it was a great price with no haggling needed. I also qualified for the graduate rebate so that was another $400 off.

So the total breakdown was: $16,200 - $2000 rebate - $400 grad rebate + $690 MA tax + $428 doc fee + $78.50 registration/title = $14996.50.

The documentation fee seemed a bit high, but the overall price seemed fair enough. When we were at the dealer, they had a total of 8 SEs to choose from. If anyone is in the MA area and looking for the Elantra, feel free to drop me a line and I can let you know who I worked with.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On the high doc fee... the dealer giveth, and the dealer taketh away. ;) They have to get their profit someplace, right?

That is a really good deal. I have a hard time finding even one SE in my area. I was at my local dealer today (got a bulb replaced) and they had zero SEs in stock.
  • ramaducharamaducha Member Posts: 3
    I live in Ohio and got a quote from Towne, yes I will drive there if I have to. Anyway, quote frome Towne for 08 GLS PZEV Automatic with Popular Equipment Pakage, Carpeted Floor Mats,Cargo Tray was $12,856 with them stating: All available manufacturer rebates are included in this quote.

Ok, truth is I'd rather not drive out of the way if I don't have to, but I will. I asked local dealer in Ohio to match. He says that the rebate is 1500 here, and states that if I buy in NJ, I will not qualify for the 2000 rebate and will not get it. He states he can sell me the same car for 14890 plus tax & title, says at this price he will only be making $50.

Does this sound right? If I go to Towne will I really be getting the car for what they say or do they charge me $12,856 plus $2000 for the rebate and send me home to wait on the $2000 to come in the mail later (which I may not qualify for according to the Ohio dealer).
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Isn't the rebate 1500 in ohio with several military and college options for another $500.? At least it is here in southern ohio (45205 zip). I don't think a 500 difference would make a 2000 difference in the offers. That said, I don't think the dealers in southern ohio are hurting to move cars.

I wouldn't put that much effort in to drive a Hyundai. Yes the car will wholesale in a year for 11000 and 13000 ish is about what you want to pay but there may be better deals out there end of month.

--jjf

live in Ohio and got a quote from Towne, yes I will drive there if I have to. Anyway, quote frome Towne for 08 GLS PZEV Automatic with Popular Equipment Pakage, Carpeted Floor Mats,Cargo Tray was $12,856 with them stating: All available manufacturer rebates are included in this quote.

Ok, truth is I'd rather not drive out of the way if I don't have to, but I will. I asked local dealer in Ohio to match. He says that the rebate is 1500 here, and states that if I buy in NJ, I will not qualify for the 2000 rebate and will not get it. He states he can sell me the same car for 14890 plus tax & title, says at this price he will only be making $50.

Does this sound right? If I go to Towne will I really be getting the car for what they say or do they charge me $12,856 plus $2000 for the rebate and send me home to wait on the $2000 to come in the mail later (which I may not qualify for according to the Ohio dealer).
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Towne hasn't pulled any BS that I know of (including several friends who have bought from Towne).

The rebate(s) is included in your drive away price (you don't have to wait for it ).

Towne does have a $189 doc fee plus title & registration fees, plus your state's sales tax. If you don't want the window etching, tell them you don't want it. They'll probably waive that charge, even if the windows have been etched.

The Ohio dealer is feeding you BS about not qualifying for the rebate.
    So your friends that bought from Towne, were they from out of the state of NJ? I would love to get a good price, but I don't want to take all the trouble to get there and then find some surprises. Ohio dealers in my area, central and SE Ohio, are not interested in coming close to Towne's offer. I guess that is why I am a bit on the defense. I'm starting to lean towards just giving up on the Elantra and go towards the Honda/Toyota that I originally was thinking of.
    Many reports in Town Hall vouch for Towne's upholding their advertised Internet prices.

Why would you pay a LOT more for a comparable Honda or Toyota than take advantage of the pricing at Towne, or even calling the Ohio dealer's bluff and tell them you've checked with Towne (after doing so of course), it's a bona fide offer including the rebate, and if they don't come down on their offer some that is where you'll go? Maybe show the dealer the Internet pricing page on the Towne web site. Consider though that there will be some cost to you to go to Towne, so you should consider that in your negotiating with local dealers.
    The 8 purchases I referred to (including our own) were all made by CT residents. Towne is about 100 miles from where we are (but 2 of the guys are another 20 miles further).
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    I'd say you got the excellent deal on 08 SE Automatic. I've not seen that price around anywhere in NY. Seems like dealers in MA are giving good deals. I bought mine for $16200 08 SE Automatic Silver color with mudguard, floormats, extra all weather mats, spoiler and window tint job.
  • mort4371mort4371 Member Posts: 27
    I'd say it probably is legit. They just sell cheaper than most smaller dealers are willing to sell.

I've bought two Hyundais from Fitzgerald (Rockville, MD) in the last 15 months. It's about 2 1/2 hours from me, but neither of the smaller local dealers in my area were willing to be even competitive with Fitz's price, and neither had exactly what I wanted either.

Both times (wife's Sonata last winter, and my Elantra this month) we've chosen something local that wasn't exactly what we wanted (color/option/etc-wise) but close enough we'd live with. Both times, put the check on the table and told them we'd have a deal if they would match or come close to the price we could get (on the exact car we wanted, no less) from Fitz. Financing was in place, all I had to do was sign the check. Both times, the dealers let us walk away, still about $1000 give or take from what Fitz would do. Both times, we went to Fitz and had no problems, hitches, or hidden charges.

This last time, with the Elantra, wife and I spent a whole day hopping around the local dealers, trying to get them to find something close to what I wanted and to compete with Fitz's price, listening to the managers tell me there's no way they can find/swap for the color I want in the SE/manual I want... Had checked Fitz for pricing, but not if they had the exact combo I wanted. Finally, about 5:00 that day, after getting worn out locally, decided to call Fitz salesman I dealt with on the Sonata. Called him, he took my cell number and called me back about 15 minutes later. No car like I wanted in stock, but one incoming (they had the invoice for it, but not the car yet) that was exactly what the local guys told me I'd never find. I gave him a credit card deposit to hold the car, and went to get it 10 days later when the car arrived. Couldn't have been simpler or easier (though it could have been closer ;) ).

I'm frankly not even sure I'll bother with the locals next time I'm in the market. The Sonata search and dealing was terrible. Decided to give them another chance with the Elantra, and I made sure it was less painful this time around but it was equally unfruitful. They may not get a third chance.
    Elantra SE plus Premium Pkg. with 5-speed plus floor mats, trunk mat, trunk net and mud flaps. Color: Quicksilver

MSRP $ 18380 with freight

puchased for $ 15,200 + $ 70 in dealer fees. Total $ 15,270

I will pay my 5% taxes in WV. Purchased in PA

Thanks for all the feed back and details experiences.
    Congrats! If you don't mind, where in PA did you purchase from? I am still trying to get a good deal on one. Thanks.
    Autoland Hyundai in Uniontown www.hyundaiofuniontown.com I got their last one but tonight manager said he was making a deal to aquire another one. Not sure if it was 5 sp or auto. They have alot of the GLS

Ask for Tracy or the Floor Manager Bob. Both really nice guys. Not sure if they will work the same deal tomorrow as today was the end of month.

FWIW Morgantown Hyundia has a Blue 5 sp. SE with premium pkg. (Did a few days ago)
  • kichwakichwa Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Carbon Gray auto SE with mudguards, cargo net, cargo tray, and mats for 15704.

MSRP: 18,120

purchase price: 17204-1500(Utah rebate)=15704

I know its not the best deals thats been posted here but I'm happy. Unfortunately the dealers here aren't desperate for sales so I couldn't get a price like some others here. I still consider anything under invoice on an SE a great deal and I'm about 267 so I have no complaints.
    Your right anything under invoice is a good deal. I was the last sale of the night. We left around 10:00pm. Sale manager said they sold about 90 units in April. Not bad for a small town dealership.
  • cybermecyberme Member Posts: 1
    I live in houston, tx. The lowest quote I got for a 08 elantra gls/w package 2 is 15000 OTD. I saw people here bought it for only 13800. Dealer said that was not possible. Please help me. Where can I get a good deal in houston area? Thank you very much!
  • kevin58kevin58 Member Posts: 1
    hi!
    i just got the qoute in seattle ,wa
    ALL AUTO

SE 14780 (after rebate 1500)
    1697 (tax , doc, etc) 9.2% tax included
    =16477 (OTD) price

GLS + ppk + mat + mud
    13980 (after rebate 1500)
    1624 (tax, doc, etc) 9.2 % tac included
    = 15604

do you think it's good deal? Tell me..!!
    actually this is my second deal in same dealer..

thx!
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    IMO both are pretty good deals although I do not see the model year-are they 07's or 08's? I would definitely go for the SE especially if its a 08'.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    You didn't specify whether it was automatic or not but if so and that was the drive out price that isn't a bad deal.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Says it right there in the post.

The Sandman :)
  • noeffortnoeffort Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased an Elantra GLS in Valley Steam, NY with automatic transmission, Popular Equipment package, mud guards, and floor mats.
    Out the door price after $2000 rebate was $13,060.00 plus tax and tags.

with auto tranny?
    Could you please give me the dealers name.
    Thanks
    I also live in Ct and thinking of giving towne a call. Did they quote you an out the door price. Did you just go and pick it up without any BS?
    Did you do a trade?
    Thanks
    We did not have a trade-in. We called saying we had seen their internet price and would like to purchase. Asked for confirmation of total out the door price. They responded with price of car, doc fee, title & registration fee, CT sales tax (CT taxes the pre-rebate price) and rebate for the total OTD price. All of it was very clear. We made the agreement over the phone on a Tuesday or Wednesday and picked up the car on Saturday. The title & registration fees were a bit high--included temporary NJ registration--but it didn't matter. The total price OTD ($18,189) on an MSRP of $22,080 before tax, doc fee, title & registration was something like $3K less than the dealership in Bridgeport wanted. This was for an '07 Sonata SE V6 in Feb '07.

They told us the colors they had in stock. We selected gray and they then gave us the VIN, so we could get our insurance card. The car was ready and fully prepped Saturday morning. Towne arranged HMFC financing (5.9% for 60 months, which was a good rate in 2/07). All we had to do was sign papers and give the balance of our downpayment. Actually, my brother picked up the car. He left Shelton, picked up the car and was back in Trumbull to show me the car in about 4.5 hours.

A friend bought an Azera in 4/07. Same great experience. Although, at that time, Towne was able to get better financing through a bank than from HMFC.

Wish this forum allowed me to give you the salesman's name.
    The Internet salesperson's name is posted right on the Towne web site. If it's the same person you dealt with, you could just say "See their web site." ;)
    Thanks, good info. We live in shelton too, small world.....
    Thanks again....
    Dam, that's a great price, buy it here? valleystreamhyundai.com
    We did not deal with the person listed on the internet site. Although I'm sure he would be good also.

noeffort, the salesman's last name is the same as the family name of the owners of the River Restaurant in Derby.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    So, does anyone know the highest volume Hyundai dealers in and around San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento markets?
  • woodystevevtwoodystevevt Member Posts: 1
    I too did just purchase an Elantra GLS in Vermont with the automatic. I also got the popular package (02/AB) , Floor mats, cargo tray. MSRP was 17,150. I got 999.00 off from the dealer, which is 405.00 under invoice, and the 2,000.00 rebate. I got it for 14,151 plus taxes, tags, and a non manufactured product from royal guard. Sounds like a great deal, but I can't figure out how you got it for so much lower than mine. What was the MSRP on the vehichle?
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Maita Hyundai in Sacramento and the biggest Roseville Hyundai. Hope this helps.
  • mlk2000mlk2000 Member Posts: 6
    The MSRP for the GLS with popular package, floor mats and mud guards was $17,165.00 including destination. Prior to going to a dealer, I had requested internet prices from several dealers. The dealer I eventually purchased from, emailed me stating that the price after rebate of $2,000.00 would be between $13,000 - $13,500. I went to this dealer (at the end of the month, with a poor economy) along with a newspaper ad from another dealer further away offering the vehicle for $2,500 off the MSRP in addition to the $2,000 rebate. After a little negotiation, I produced the ad from the other dealer and asked if they would meet the price. If not, I was prepared to go to the other dealer. The price was $17,165.00 less $2,500 less $2000 bringing it down to $12,665. On the contract they had a pre printed dealer preparation charge of $395.00. I tried to get them to remove it and even spoke to the manager who refused to remove it. I decided to purchase it. Price was $12,665 plus $395 for a total of $13,060 plus tax and tags.
    By the way Towne Hyundai often quoted on this board emailed me stating the price would be $12,756.00 I do not know if that included prep, etc. I did not go to them, because they were too far away.
  • nerdlyonenerdlyone Member Posts: 3
    We live in Sacramento, and just bought today from Maurice at Roseville Hyundai a 2008 Elantra SE PZEV automatic transmission (charcoal grey with light grey interior, only options were the spoiler and floor mats).

The agreed upon price before rebates etc was $16788. We got the $2000 rebate (CA rebate) and the $500 military rebate. So, price after rebate was $14288 (plus they threw in a year's worth of free oil changes).

Doc fee was $55.00. Taxes was $1305.33 and registration was $73.75. There isn't a separate destination charge listed, so that must have been rolled into the $14288.

Total OTD with TTL and everything was $15722.08.

I'm pretty happy!
  • collegecar2collegecar2 Member Posts: 3
    platyase,
    can you tell me who you dealt with at Herb Connelly in Natick on your SE back on April 28? I'm looking in Mass right now and it would be great to get the same deal!
  • platyaseplatyase Member Posts: 2
    I was going to reply to you with the salesperson I dealt with, but when I was about to post the message, I noticed the warning not to post names of salespeople. You can either go through the Herb Connelly's website and contact them from there, or send me an email, and I'll let you know whom I worked with. I have a gmail.com account, and my username there is the same as the one here.
  • nareknarek Member Posts: 37
    I'm looking at an '08 Elantra GLS w/sunroof options package and carpet mats. This is the best I've found:

$15,236.00 plus tax, tags & title
    $17,069.01 out the door

The only things I'd like to see on this car are power driver seat and audio controls on the steering wheel. Had those on my last car and I'm going to miss them. Anyone know if they'll be options on the '09? Anyone know when the '09's come out? My dealer couldn't (wouldn't?) say.
    It's very, very, very unlikely that the Elantra will get a power seat for 2009. Not even the upscale 2009 Elantra Touring will have it. You can get audio controls on the steering wheel right now by getting the SE trim. That also gets you several other useful features, including stability control, traction control, telescopic steering wheel (could help make up for the lack of a power seat cushion), trip computer with mpg meter, and of course those good-looking 16" five-spoke alloys (might provide better handling than the 15" wheels on the GLS). The SE trim costs about the same as the moonroof option, so if you could do without that you might be able to get an SE for about the same price as the GLS with moonroof. Or you could splurge and get the SE with moonroof--leather is available on it too.
    I recently bought a friend a 08 mazda3 i touring auto value sedan with 2.0l, alloys, abs airbags, etc, (msrp 18100) For $15500 +tax and title with 100kmi factory bumper to bumper warranty.another $680. There were some dealers that seemed amenable to a mazda6 i value auto (alloys,auto,airbags, abs) msrp 21200 for $15700.

The mazda is a better or at least competitive car and is truly stunning looking at night, the 6 does also, though their designs are pushing 4 years old. Your own research end of month could reveal lower prices.

The 08 Elantra gls auto (17000 msrp) is a compelling buy for 13000 or less, the 20000 sonata 08 for 15000 but once you get considerably above that (or about 16000 or so for the 09 Sonata) you should probably look elsewhere. Hyundai's made big strides in quality over the years and the Elantra is nice but price is their main selling point and if the best price you can get in your area is about 14500 for the gls auto and the hi 15's or so for the SE its well past time to move on.

Both mazdas wholesale used for about $2000-2500 more than the Hyundai 's after 12 months, and will depreciate much less from a decent purchase price over the years. So in addition to higher quality they're worth it.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Did you get lost on your way to the Mazda3 Prices Paid discussion? ;)

The Mazda3i is a nice car, but you are overlooking some "selling points" of the Elantra, such as standard stability control and traction control (on the SE), more interior room (especially in back--midsized inside vs. compact for the Mazda3), bigger trunk, standard XM radio, and a smoother and quieter ride. With a $1500-2000 rebate on the Elantra, it isn't hard at all to find a GLS AT around $13-14k and an SE around $14-15k. As for the Mazda3 being "higher quality," not sure where you get that but CR ranks both cars the same for reliability and in fact ranks the Elantra SE over the Mazda3i and has the Elantra SE as its "Top Pick" in the Sedans Under $20k class.

But it was very nice of you to buy a new Mazda3i for your friend. You are a very generous person.
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    Not sure about value for money factor but fun to drive factor Mazda 3 wins anytime against any of sedans in its price range. I had Mazda 3 and moved to Elantra. First thing I noticed was Elantra's body roll. For some reason when you turn it feels like drving boat. Compared to that even my Honda Odyssey gives better handling. Mazda 3 was more fun to drive for me and I did drive it in couple of northeast snow storms without single problem.
    On the other hand I do like the bit better fuel economy with gas prices heading north.
    I think the Mazda3 is fun to drive also, but there are other discussions for talking about the merits of the Mazda3 vs. Elantra, e.g. the Economy Sedans discussion.
    Yep, I'm now considering the SE for those features. Maybe even with leather.

I'm discovering they're pretty hard to find in my area right now. I've been told that when the April Consumer Reports mag was released listing the Elantra SE as a "Top Pick" the SE's started flying off the lot. They also tell me that getting more is unlikely, and that the next shipment might be '09s.

I swear. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. :(
    That varies by area it seems. Some dealers seem to have more SEs than others. Might want to shop around.
    After I posted that last message I decided to see what Fitzmall may have in other locations. Found my "wish list" car on order for delivery at the end of this month to the Fitzmall location in Bethesda, MD. They will ship it for roughly $350. I can't fly up and drive it back for that. :)

Not sure yet if that's what I'll do, but it's nice to know I have that option.
  • stilgarstilgar Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone here live in Houston, TX? Why are all the dealers charging 15K+ for a 2008 Elantra auto + A/C + radio? I read that some guy in NY got this for 13K. Right now the car industry is doing terrible in Texas, with Toyota seeing a 24% decline in full-year profits. You’d think they’d be bending over backwards to make deals.
    Have you tried yet to go to a Houston dealer with a "firm offer" of $XXk (whatever your target is), tell them you are ready to buy the car from them today if they agree to your offer, and see what happens? Talk is cheap, but money talks. ;)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who bought or are thinking of purchasing a Hyundai. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information.
    I finally made up my mind. (Much to my husbands joy..lol)

I could not find any SE's with the options I wanted. Called/emailed/checked inventory of every dealer from Jacksonville to Bradenton, Gainesville to Cocoa, FL.

Fitzmall in Bethesda, MD has on order a Carbon Gray '08 Elantra SE (auto) w/Premium Package + Leather, Rear Spoiler and Carpeted Mats. When it comes in they'll ship it to their Clearwater, FL location for $350, where I'll pick it up.

$20,355 MSRP

$17,135 Internet price (after rebate)
    $1,610.38 TT&T
    $350 shipping

$19,095.38 Out the door

I left a deposit this morning. I was a little hesitant to by a car sight unseen, but I originally thought I'd have to ship it myself. Fitzmall arranges the shipping to it's dealership which means I get to inspect and drive it before I take delivery.

Also, I discovered that some cars on Fitzmall's Clearwater lot cost more than at the Maryland Fitzmalls. It was a comment in this thread somewhere about how competitive dealers in the DC area are that made me take a look at that. I don't know if that's the reason for the price differences, but it's there just the same. I compared several sets of identical cars at both locations and came up with differences in the $350 to $550 range.

Anyway, if anyone is looking at Fitzmall's Clearwater inventory and they don't have the exact model/color/options combination you want, check out other Fitzmall locations. The price difference might just be enough to offset the cost of shipping, to get what you really want. :)

In the 2 weeks or so that I've been reading these forums, I have learned A LOT. Thanks to all for your insight and advice! Without it I'd be in a totally different car right now, having 'settled' for what I could find locally in both inventory and price.

Can't wait to pick up my new Hyundai! It's a first Hyundai for me, and my family.
  • hemanthhemanth Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I am looking to buy a hyndai elantra 2004 GT model. Here are the specifications

# 4-month old new Firestone tires
    # Tinted Sun Roof
    # 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve CVVT Engine
    # 5-Speed Manual Transmission
    # Dual Front Airbags
    # Front Side Airbags
    # Front Independent Suspension w/MacPherson Struts
    # Rear Independent Multi Link Suspension w/Coil Springs
    # Front & Rear Stabilizer Bars
    # Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
    # Premium Wheel Covers
    # 14.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
    # Power Rack & Pinion Steering
    # Air Conditioning
    # Tilt Steering Column
    # Power Locks/Windows/Mirrors
    # Variable Intermittent Wipers
    # Tachometer and Trip Meter
    # Remote Fuel Door Release
    # Remote Trunk Release
    # Quartz Digital Clock
    # Tinted Glass w/Sunshade Band
    # Rear Window Defroster
    # Center Console w/Armrest
    # Keyless Remote Entry with Vehicle Security System
    # AM/FM Stereo/Cassette
    # Bodycolor Bodyside Moldings
    # 60/40 Split-Folding Rear Seat
    # Rear Child Seat Anchors
    # Carpeted Floor Mats
    # Trunk Cargo Net
    # Color - Crimson, Interior - grey
    # 3-Point Front Seatbelts with Pretensioners and Force Limiters
    # Lumbar Adjustment on Driver's Seat

The kbb value of this car in my locality is 6725 - 7260. Its a private party deal.
    How much do you people think, I can pay for the car.

Thanks for your time

--Hemanth
    If thats the wholesale kbb.com value (not private party sale) and it is in kbb good condition I would start below that wholesale value and of course seem unenthusiastic.

If it is advertised in a medium where one pays $20 for a 3 day or 2 week ad one has a better chance than for "fishermen" advertising in trader type publications where one can advertise cheaply for months.

Also if serious carfax of of course.

--jjf