Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2015 in Hyundai
Did you get a good deal? Share it here!

To discuss the latest lease details for the current model, please join us in the 2015 Hyundai Elantra Lease Questions forum.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on Edmunds 2015 Hyundai Elantra page.

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    $14,500 for base Elantra GT with automatic transmission. Purchased June 15, 2001 in Little Falls, NJ. Sticker was $15,394. TMV shown as $14,300 at the time of purchase.

Called four Hyundai dealers in three counties before we found the GT we wanted. Yeah,...I might've paid a couple hundred too much but I still got a fair deal considering the lack of availability. Went to the dealer and drove out 2.5 hours later in the car. Smooth buy.

Love the car, too!
  • elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    I'm sure most of you have seen my posts for the price I've paid, but here it is again:

Orlando, FL Market
    Elantra GT
    Color - Pewter (Silver)
    Automatic
    Moonroof/no ABS
    $15,000 = Includes all dealer/destination fees. Does not include taxes.

Great car. Do yourself a favor and go buy one, that is if you can find one. As cjacceta stated above, it's a little hard to find what you want. It took us three weeks of looking before I found the package that we wanted.

Good Luck!
  • ebekinsebekins Member Posts: 21
    Just to keep this ball rolling, I'll put here what I paid. I don't know if it's a good or bad deal, but you all can then compare with what you got.

2001 Elantra GLS
    Automatic
    Package 3
    Pewter
    bought in National City, CA (near San Diego) [Frank Hyundai]

Price: $13,916
    less $500 rebate, so call it $13,416. I did no negotiations. I went in having made my first contact through my CostCo membership, and I got that price. Maybe I could have done better through negotiating, but at the time that price was right on Edmunds TMV, and the salesman was a nice guy to deal with, so I went with it. The F&I guy did try to sell us on some additional stuff, but it wasn't real high pressure, and we got what we were happy with.
  • grr02grr02 Member Posts: 6
    Well I just bought my GT a week ago for $16,100+tax & Lic. Automatic w/ package #7 which consist of 4 wheel disc w/TCS and sunroof. The dealer didn't offer any rebates or special interest rate since it's a new model. Oh by the way I live in San Jose/CA.
  • rbeaudinrbeaudin Member Posts: 14
    I am ABOUT to pay 12,900 for a GLS 5 speed, w/package 5, carpets, mud guards. That includes destination charge but not tax. Is it my imagination or is that a really good price?
  • steveb70steveb70 Member Posts: 15
    $12,900 sounds like a solid price with Package 5. Package 5 is the ABS/Traction control package, correct? Does that price include the $500 rebate?

Steve
    Yes, Steve, that does include the rebate. I'm picking up the car on Saturday..can't wait!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I've heard that a few people got the package 5 automatic for $13 flat. Your 5-speed deal sounds good....perhaps it could be better.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Make that $13K flat. Minor technicality.
    Yes, perhaps I could have done better if I had been willing to take a model off the lot, but since I wanted a particular package/color (5/champagne/mud guards), and it had to be located, I was somewhat thwarted in my plan to use the "you're never gonna get rid of that thing, especially with the IIHS report!" line. I got the car yesterday, and it looks great...very happy, good value; at least I came in under invoice, according to Edmunds info.
  • dbrowdydbrowdy Member Posts: 5
    I just bought one yesterday. 2001 Elantra GLS, 4 door, automatic, package 2, mudguards, carpets, net, silver (couldn't find grey OR black :( ).

In Portland, OR at Thomason Hyundai through their internet department they give some good deals. I paid $12,188 (after rebate). That's about $1000 under invoice. I had a great experience there and definately would recommend them (assuming you go thru the internet dept!) to anyone.

Peace,
    D
  • billrubinbillrubin Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a GT tonight. Automatic transmission, Package 7 (Moon roof plus ABS and traction control), overpriced carpet mats (although they are nicely padded), California emissions (now also required in New York). Sticker price was $16,700 or so, I paid $15,300 (plus tax). The salesman started the negotiations at $1000 above sticker because the GT with ABS (package 7) is almost impossible to find and he said his manager makes him do that. Fortunately, I had printed out the Edmunds page and when he asked what it would take to get me to buy the car tonight I pointed to the invoice number, actually I added $69 for the mats which I did not have on my printout to round it up which was a little high but I wasn't going to begrudge him an extra $10 :-). Much to my surprise, they took the offer. I think it had a lot to do with my being there the next to the last day of the month and telling them I'd pay and pick it up tomorrow so it would be closed in July. Apparently the salesman's salary is based more on number of cars sold than the price he sold them for. He was bitching and moaning about them letting a hot car get away for nothing, but I tried not to shed a tear. Interestingly, they showed me their invoice price on their system (the guy who had the sheet was not in) and it claimed the price they paid was $15,700. I am not quite sure how this can be different than the Edmunds price by so much, can someone explain?

He originally thought there might be a rebate but I told him no. Maybe I should have let him think that there was! I assume someone would have corrected it if he had written it up as having one.

I ended up getting it in Cardinal Red. I really wanted Cobalt Blue but no one has seen one in these parts. The GT with package 7 is almost impossible to find so I decided to take it since the deal seemed rather good :-). He said if I came back next week, I would not have gotten nearly as good a deal.

Oh, I am in Westchester County, NY.

Bill
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    Elantra GLS - Automatic + Mats & guards and Pkg #2 ($400):
    Sticker Price $14,332 + 6%tx ... Total: 15,192
    Dealer wants $14,025 total including 6% sales tax.
    Counter offered $12,971 including sales tax.
    I am still waiting.
  • dbrowdydbrowdy Member Posts: 5
    I got the same car you're looking at for 12,188. I know the fact that I went thru the internet was really helpful. Have you tried putting something up on Autoweb and letting them call you?

Peace,
    D
    Tb88 -- what is the invoice price on the car you made the offer on? Remember there is a $500 rebate on the GLS...

Bill
  • claudiner29claudiner29 Member Posts: 3
    billrubin....WOW. Sounds to me like you got a great deal on your GT. Good job!!!

I bought the same GT as you except in Pewter--Auto Transmission, Package 7 (ABS, TCS, and Moonroof), CA Emissions, and Carpet Floor Mats. I bought mine in mid-June and paid $15,830 + title, tax, & license.

The dealer's sticker was $17,441 because they had added their "desert paint protection" and tinted windows. I SWORE to myself that I would not buy from a dealer that tried to pull those antics, but it was THE only Pewter Automatic GT w/ ABS in the Phoenix area. I told them straight out I had no intention on paying for these add ons. The first offer they gave me was for $16,847. I literally laughed in the salesman's face and told them that he was now at MSRP where the other dealers started.

The sales manager then comes in with the invoice and asks me to pay invoice ($15,700) + 2% + $130 for the tinted windows (they were asking $199). I still wouldn't do it. I finally agreed to pay invoice + $130 for the tinted windows.

I wasn't thrilled, but the finance guy at the dealership doing my back-up contract seemed VERY impressed with my negotiating skills. He told me several times that I did a great job and then looked in his file and said the dealership only made $80 on my deal (which tells me the cost of the tinted windows is really $50--I don't know where else they could make any additional money).

Anyway...that's what I paid thanks to all the research I'd done on edmunds.com, including reading these message boards religiously. I truly think this is a great site. Thanks everyone.
    >>Tb88 -- what is the invoice price on the car you made the offer on? Remember there is a $500 rebate on the GLS...

Bill
    >>

MSRP: $14,332

Invoice: $13,524

Rebates to: 7/31/01 $500 which brings cost down to: 13,024 since dealer keeps it.

Holdback 2%
  • triumphtripletriumphtriple Member Posts: 10
    With Package 6 (couldn't find a 5 speed with Package 7). Paid $15,368 out the door, including tax. This was in the Orlando market.... Good deal?
    $12971 including sales tax sounds like it's over $1000 under invoice. What reason do you have to expect that they would even consider it? What did you base your number on? BTW, you really should post the pre-tax prices to make it easier to compare here.

Bill
  • nuanceglsnuancegls Member Posts: 16
    I paid for this new car 2001
    $15,600
    Yeap very happy with this car
    Happy no more Ford! I drove my TownCar for over 300000 miles and i was tired of driving this car.

Love The Sonata V6 Gls
    > > I paid for this new car 2001
    $15,600 < <

Is that pre-tax?
    Any Options?
    What State?
    Live in New York city
    Options- no leather or abs or sunroof
    only cd player.

Nuance
    Tax here in NY is about 8.25% so plus the total price about 16700 i think.
    nuance,

What was the sticker price? with the $495 Destination charge.
  • cmulqueencmulqueen Member Posts: 14
    I just paid $15,242 + Virginia tax (3%) and DMV charges (about $60) for a black GT Automatic with package 6 (moonroof). I tried to get to the TMV price but they wouldn't budge on a $400 advertising fee. I got mats and mudguards thrown in for "free." Do you all think this was a decent deal?
    Forget about it .... enjoy your new car...
    Gt really nice looking car.

Nuance
  • joq867joq867 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an '01 midnight grey 5 speed package #2 for $13,000.83 out the door tax, tag, everything but the finance charges. the car stickered for $14,300, I showed the dealer a price quote I got online and they promised to beat the price. I am very happy with the car, it drives and rides great( I came out of a pickup truck) so to me it rides like a Caddy.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Congratulations on your new Elantra! I have the same car (but champagne). Question: when you say it "stickered for $14,300", what sticker was that? I ask because the window sticker on my GLS was $13,412 with pkg 2, floor mats, and destination. Are you including tax etc. in the "sticker"?
  • steveb70steveb70 Member Posts: 15
    Hello!

On Saturday, after a lot of shopping and a lot of thinking, I purchased a 2001 Elantra GLS in Champagne (base model, 5 spd) for $9,995, including the $500 rebate. There was slight hail damage, but the car is very nice. The purchase was made in Denver, Colorado.

I really like it so far, although it only has 190 miles on it, so we'll see. No shimmy or other issues so far.

Steve
  • dougpikedougpike Member Posts: 1
    Well...after a lot of comparison shopping, I finally took the plunge. Signed the deal on a Champagne/Beige, 01 Elantra GLS 5 speed, with Pkg 4 (stereo upgrade, keyless entry & alarm, power moonroof), mud guards, floor mats, cargo net and wind deflector. I paid 12,800 + tax/title/tag. It's about $1000 under invoice so I think it was fair for both sides. I pick it up Saturday morning. It's going to make it a little easier to go to work on Tuesday after a 3 day Holiday weekend knowing that I will be driving my new Elantra.
  • erk3erk3 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a package 2 with auto for 11700 in central Ohio. This dealer is #1 in many things and trying to be same in Hyundai sales.
  • yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    2001 ELANTRA GT/auto with all options= $15,440.00
    extended warrenty at 5.9% FINANCING for $6,000.00
    Now whole warrenty is 10yr/100000 miles bumper to bumper,powertrain,road assistance,rust protection.
    Payments on $6,000.00 over 60 mnths at $159.00 a month (can pay it off anytime,non-penalty). Trade-in of 1996 GMC Sierra P/U (with 161,000 miles)= $4,300.00. I used AAA for buying NEW Cars...they got me the deal at fleet rates,no hassle at all.The whole experience was GREAT!
  • jillymariejillymarie Member Posts: 14
    2002 Elantra GT, Cobalt Blue, auto, ABS,alarm, everything....$15,300(includes dest. fee, and there was no advertising fee or any of that bull) + IL tax(6.75%) and $80 doc fee.

About 25 miles north of Chicago.
    Just bought it on 10/20...loving it so far!
  • jhnep1jhnep1 Member Posts: 9
    I bought new a 2002 gls automatic with the option 3 package. option 2 keyless remote, alarm and cruise. option 3 cd player. $13000.00 Could of gotten a new '02 gls automatic with option 2 package for $12675.00. West suburbs of chicago. Obsidian black in color.
  • dowbigdowbig Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Hyundai is providing dealer cash to dealers on sales of 2002 Elantras? I have seen some advertisements by some Dealers that makes me think that there is $500 to $750 available beyond holdback to bargain with? For example a dealer in Aurora IL, advertises a 2002 Elantra (which I assume is bare bones) for $10,999
    and a dealer in National City, CA, advertises the same for 10,995. The invoice for a barebones 2002 Elantra minus 2% for Holdback is about $11,800? I have not found any website (including Edmunds)which mention a Hyundai Elantra 2002, manufacture to dealer incentive. I would like to know the bottom before I go negotiate. Thanks
  • undecided18undecided18 Member Posts: 1
    Been looking for a 2002 elantra gls, got offer for 13200 - automatic, option 3 package, keyless remote, cruise and cd. Not include Tax Title & Licence, in Houston area, not much dealership as yet, is this a good price to pay? No rebate offer, should I wait. Thanks for feedback.
  • fgiorgiafgiorgia Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking for a GT Elantra with ABS in the Memphis area. I even tried as far as Atlanta through AAA. So far unable to find a single car. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
  • knierim13knierim13 Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up my 2002 GT (obsidian black, automatic w/ sunroof) last night. Paid $13,800 plus tax & lic. Came out to below the TMV, so I was pleased. Bought it in N. Plainfield, NJ. Got less for my trade-in (1997 Saturn SC2) than I would have liked, but with this price, it still wound up being a good deal for me.

Amy
  • pghguy2pghguy2 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an automatic 2002 GLS with package 2 (cruise control and keyless entry/alarm), mudguards, and floor mats for $11,899, not including tax and title. Color is pewter.

I had a good experience with the dealer and so far have very much enjoyed the car. Granted, it's only been a week, but so far so good.
  • dowbig1dowbig1 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a real good deal. did you have a trade in that may have influenced that low price?
  • pghguy2pghguy2 Member Posts: 3
    They offered me $100 for my 1986 Ford LTD, but I figured I'd take my chances selling it.

The dealership I ended up buying from ran an ad in the local paper for that price around the same time I decided on the Elantra, so it worked out well. I tried to get two dealers closer to my home to match the price in the ad, but they wouldn't go for it. The dealership I bought from offered lousy financing, but I was able to go elsewhere and get a much better rate.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with the deal. The Elantra is a great value.
  • beeryr4beeryr4 Member Posts: 19
    Picked up a 2002 Elantra GLS, 5-Speed manual, Package 5 (ABS & TCS) for invoice price - $13,600 (US). Note that the invoice price includes the corporate advertising fees which my local dealer would not take off. Also note that this advertising fee seems to vary. The car was Dealer Exchanged from another zone where this fee was about $160 higher than what was printed on my dealer's invoices. Oh well.

I waited 10 weeks for this car to come in on dealer allocation. I was very particular on my color. Nothing.

So, I finally took the one they found at another dealer that had been sitting around for a couple months. It had more miles than I would have liked, but I didn't want to wait another month, or two, or ...

If you are in the Dayton - Columbus Ohio area, consider Jeff Wyler in Springfield. I feel they did me well. Very easy to work with.
  • jessie9jessie9 Member Posts: 5
    cost us 14,990. We got it in black, 5 speed, abs and traction control, moonroof, mud guards and floormats. We love it and the haggling was good-natured. The strange thing is that these cars are so hard to find!! Dealers are all from 45-60 minutes away from here and between 3 of them, there were only 2 5 speeds available.....both red, which we didn't want. They had scores of gls's in the lots but the GTs are rare around here. The short supply made the deal even better I think. We waited a long time, hoping a black 5 spd. would show up somewhere and it finally did. We also insisted on the 2002 at this point. (dec.)
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Could you tell us where you're located? Sounds like you got a great deal!
    You're right about it being hard to find a 5 speed GT with ABS; there's
    lots more auto GTs around. I'm looking for the exact same configuration as yours.

Erik
  • chrisgt1chrisgt1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi just got 02 gt 5 speed with abs in gray MSRP $15945 got it for $14734.83 + tax and plates no trade in no advertising fees salesman Mike so far the best person to deal I went to almost every dealer best experience.
  • jessie9jessie9 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry esto, but we live in pennsylvania--pretty far from you. And you are right, there are far more automatics here than standards too. I have to tell you that we are so glad we got the standard trans because it is so fun to drive. Have you tried exploring the idea of an online purchase? It might be easier to get the configuration you want. Another thing I have done in the past (with a 2000 toyota camry) that worked really well was to email several dealerships in the area and ask for availability and best price. If you have actually test driven the car you want and have decided on the GT, this can work really well for you in getting a good price. Some dealers hate it and are pretty stinky about it, some are more willing and very fair. good luck, esto!
  • amckay63amckay63 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a Champagne 2001 GLS from Sunrise Hyundai in Fontana, CA. Options are cruise, keyless entry, mud flaps, cargo net, floor mats. I paid $12, 410 out the door (tax, title, registration included).
  • fdnyfdny Member Posts: 5
    12-17 Bought an 01 Elantra GT auto, package #7 for $14,700 + $74 for reg. fee, $20 for title/licence and $10 for inspection. Unfortunately, NY 8.25% tax couldn't be haggled. Got it from a Mr.Cotter at Atlantic Auto Mall in West Islip. He gave me the price over the phone after I told him my other offers. Only complaint is 18 mpg but only 400 miles so far.
  • tmk01tmk01 Member Posts: 2
    I paid just over $17k (ouch!) for my Elantra. But I was determined to get ABS and TCS. But because the option 5 is only in about 3% or lower production, I was going to settle on option 4. Until I pulled into a dealer who just happened to have my option 5 in the exact color (Obsidian black) and interior, etc. I wanted. The sales manager had two more phone calls for that exact model while I was sitting there signing the paper work. Still a good deal thought if you compare that price to other like models with the same features.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    Got my GT for 13900 + tax reg lic fee's . Got the base model with mats net and mudflaps . Very happy with it in Chanti red ( burgandy ) . With the limited #'s out there i don't think i will see one next to me at a stop light for a while :).
    Also i am in Nor Cal . Got mine at Maita Hyundai . had to do some ummm talking ya ya thats it talking . But that started at 14999 and i started at 13800 and held my guns . Unless u want abs and tcs hold your guns and i bet you can get the GT for under 14k like me and others .....