Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    i agree. it seemed weird for them to quote the price and then they said, "make an appointment this week and we'll go even lower." not sure what lower means but i'll find out this week and post it. they have one on the lot- meets my needs. then a neighboring dealer has 5 SEs and 2 are pretty much what i want- they already said they'll match it. not sure about the lower part though.

glad it seems like a good price so far. i'm just concerned about the other "fees." i'll have to see if anything is tacked on outside of taxes and license and that crap.

thanks!! nice way to spend a saturday night :)
  • lena12lena12 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I've talked to my sales manager, and I guess because they work with a third party, and it's an out of state registration, things are a bit slow. Although I've had the car for a few weeks, I'm ready to just be completely 'validated'. Let's hope something happens in the coming week.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yeah, you have to watch out for the fees. I saw a buying report today on a Versa in another discussion, and the price of the car was pretty good, but there was a $499 fee (aka "dealer profit") tacked on that negated most of the discount off list. Good luck!
  • kwbill24kwbill24 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an Elantra from Towne with registration in PA. As the 21 day temporary out-of-state expiration date approached, I called Towne and they faxed me a letter to serve as an "extension". One week later they overnighted my PA plate and registration. That same day a check arrived in the mail for the difference between the $200 charged for registration and the actual cost.
  • lena12lena12 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I got the letter too, so that helps/ed!
  • txmedictxmedic Member Posts: 1
    Just keep in mind if you financing through the dealer they will take a little loss on the sale and make up for it on the selling the financial contract to a lender. I just bought a 08. Sticker price was 17,165. I paid 15,550 OTD ( this is taxes and the whole nine yards- that is it-nothing else) So get this I am financing 10,000 I paid 5550 down payment. The financial manager told me that they were going to lock this deal in at 60 months. He stated that he was going to extended the bumper to bumper to 100,000 miles and charge me 1,500 extra. I told him 15,550 OTD that is it or no deal. He stated he would go see if they really wanted to sell this car. After returning he continued to jerk my chain. So I told I was leaving and I would be intouch. I ran into the sales person on my way out the door and explained the 1500 dollar extended warranty and told him I was leaving. It wasn't 10 minutes before my phone started ringing he told me that he had me locked in at 36 months. Well I called him back when I got home and he stated that he had to do this deal at 60 month or it wasn't happening. I told him ok have a great day and hung up the phone. I immediately called the sales person and told him that I was being mislead again. After 10 minutes he called me back and assured me that the deal was locked in at 36 months. We I returned 20 miles to the dealer. Now I was dealing with a different finance person. He told me that they had me budgeted at 60 months...lol..They don't know my budget. The reason they try to lock you in for maximum months is because they turn around and sell this contract..The more months the more money..I finally closed the deal on my terms..People don't give in.Stand firm and don't be afraid to get up and leave. Don't pay document fees. My car was delivered to me unwashed but that is fine cause the deal was closed on my terms only.
    This is a follow-up to my previous post from 5/31. I was orginally quoted $14742 for the base SE auto. I went to another dealer since my previous one was out of SEs. This new dealer (Elgin, IL) had an auto SE for $18115 sticker with $180 or so in options (floor mats, cargo net, and wheel locks). They would barely move from the $14742. They actually wouldn't move from that amount plus the $180 in options. I was able to get it for $14700 plus TTL. They kept on telling me they were not even making money on the deal. I was sick of hearing that! I even told him if he says that one more time, I'm leaving.

I think I got a pretty good deal. I know it's not fair to compare sometimes, but I see some people paying $1K+ more for the same car.

Good luck to everyone out there in the market. It does seem like the SEs are very limited right now out there. The 2 biggest dealers around me only have 1 each- and that's from having over 7 last week.

I also paid cash so no financing- that was nice!
  • dvc3dvc3 Member Posts: 4
    thanks again gembree. Everything worked out perfectly with the purchase.

Now I just hope that my plates arrive before my temporary one expires.

If the plates arrive on time I will be a Towne Hyundai evangelist for sure!
  • diamond946diamond946 Member Posts: 2
    whatever u do, do not get the royal guard insurance...it is just alot of hype,
    diamond
    i didn't go for the royal guard insurance. i don't think they mentioned it. unless it's the bumper to bumper increased to 10 100K. when i talked with the finance lady (funny how i had to since i was paying cash- i could have been outta there an hour earlier), she said to extend the bump to bump it was $1800 but she would sell it for $1000. i said no way and she said i was crazy not to double my bump to bump. i said i would pay no more than $400 for it. the conversation ended there- funny because she said it never goes below $1000. it was nice because she didn't try and keep on selling it to me!

overall, i had a good buying experience. i have to say though when my salesperson brought over one of the sales managers, i pissed him off quite a bit because i was so upfront with getting a lower price. made me feel pretty good.
  • diamond946diamond946 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a good solid low interest rate auto loan? I was able to get 4.8 with my credit union but I would love to go a little lower.

Can anyone help with this hear?
    diamond
  • nareknarek Member Posts: 37
    I think that's about the best you'll find. I just got the same rate from my credit union. Anything lower is probably going to be attached to the purchase of a new vehicle, (Financed through the manufacturer) and as such they make their money up front on the sale instead of on interest by upping the price of the vehicle or raising the bar on lowest price they are willing to negotiate.
  • eddielopez84eddielopez84 Member Posts: 1
    For an Automatic Elantra GLS with Popular package, I was quoted $13,180.00 plus tax, license, fees and destination charge.

I am guessing:
    $13,180 after rebate
    $620 destination charge
    $1,300 tax, license & fees
    =$15100

Is this a decent deal. I checked the true market value for this vehicle and it comes out to $16,583 - $1,500 rebate = $15,083.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Eddie, you need to find out if the quoted price included destination and doc fee. These two factors can make a significant difference in how good a deal you are being offered.

You should be able to do quite a bit better than the TMV shown on Edmunds.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The 07 elantra gls wholesales used for 11000 or so. So 13000 plus tax and tag is about you want to be paying. That said 13800 may be beat end of month, but with good review writeups and a run on 30 mpg vehicles they seem to be letting them go for smaller discounts. Around here they won't let them go for less than 14000, but we have a large minority population in our area they can take as payment buyers. Once the price gets much above 14000 or so the mazda3 and possibly even the Sonata 09 in a few months become competitive. The Ford Focus may be had for about 13000 or less also, but the elantra is a better car.

Good luck
    --jjf

For an Automatic Elantra GLS with Popular package, I was quoted $13,180.00 plus tax, license, fees and destination charge.

I am guessing:
    $13,180 after rebate
    $620 destination charge
    $1,300 tax, license & fees
    =$15100

Is this a decent deal. I checked the true market value for this vehicle and it comes out to $16,583 - $1,500 rebate = $15,083.
  • rpb45rpb45 Member Posts: 3
    Purchasing a used 07 Elantra GLS with popular package, Manual tran.
    Car has 29k miles on it. Price before trade was $10700. No destination charge, but 300 doc fee so OTD is 11K. Does this seem like a fair price. They're asking price was 13K. I haven't picked up the car yet so the deal isn't technically done until Sat.
    There would not be a destination charge on a used car.

Price seems OK, given that Elantras are pretty popular right now, although for that price the car should be in perfect, "like new" condition IMO.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Personally I would check out the price on a new one instead.

van
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
  • stilgarstilgar Member Posts: 6
    Anyone live in Houston? It's been 3 weeks since I bought my Elantra and my title and plates still have not arrived. What's the usual wait?
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    I would go for that 2007 if that is what you really want to bye not a bad price $10000 You should also look at a new one also to see the price Differance. If you can go new You would be bettor off Just make shore if you are going to bye this Used one that all bulitans and recalls wher done before you sine any paper work Keep us updated and let us no how it gos on saturday Thanks for reading.
  • pgudurupguduru Member Posts: 4
    Wanted to share my buying experience:
    A 08' SE for 16100$ including tax,lic fees.
    Where? AT or MT? Any options? What was the price before taxes and fees? Thank you!
  • car_buyer2car_buyer2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've been following this forum for a while now...I called up Towne Hyundai, and they said they won't budge below 15,000 for a GLS with the package with everything....I know I can do better than that...They also said that I have to get Vin Etching....Anyone from NJ bought a GLS for cheaper than this at any other dealer?
    Its an AT. No additional options, just the base SE with standard options. This is in san francisco bay area.
    Was that "everything" including moonroof, and is the $15k price out-the-door? Towne's current Internet offer on GLSes is $1600 under invoice before the $2000 rebate. Invoice on a GLS with "everything" (literally) is $17,892 per Edmunds.com. So if their quote of $15k is OTD, that seems pretty reasonable and in line with their Internet pricing. If it's not OTD, then you should show them their own Internet pricing!
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    not a bad price I would go for it you might be able to do a teany bit bettor but is it really worth it at $15000 out the door would get it this week or today. I looked on towns websight best prices around the nj and new York aria. keep us updated on what happens and what dealer you bye from. thankyou for reading.
    Its a base SE. It does not have optional packages that hyundai provides.
    It does not have sun roof. It does have the alloy wheel, steering mount volume, cruise control, stability control. Like i said I paid 16100 including the DMV fees plus taxes.
  • car_buyer2car_buyer2 Member Posts: 2
    It was an OTD price. I'm trying to get it matched with other dealers, and let you know what happens.

Just had a question : If I want to buy the car, and the price is finalized, and I pay the deposit...can they go in and jump the price when I comeback later with the check?

Thanks.
    If you have a signed purchase order with VIN and such on the order it shouldn't happen, but I have seen both sides , buyers with refundable deposit pullin out , and dealers with "incorrect" vin, cars that were "already" sold etc happen. As far as jumping the price up with the vehicle and such specified, it shouldn't happen, but as you try to match or beat a price or get a better color, they may get another offer too, or forget the $800 wheel-lock and undercoat package on that car, etc...

I don't know legally what the attorney general in your state would say, but with dealers I've seen too much to say that something can't happen.

Good luck
    --jjf

It was an OTD price. I'm trying to get it matched with other dealers, and let you know what happens.

Just had a question : If I want to buy the car, and the price is finalized, and I pay the deposit...can they go in and jump the price when I comeback later with the check?
    just curious what the price was before TTL. it's always nice to share that amount because it differs from county to county. also, i understand there always may be some additional fees in the TTL once in a while. like an admin fee they always try to tack on. mine was about $16300 out the door but taxes in the chicago area are quite high.

seems like a good price though. congrats.
  • jkanownikjkanownik Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a loaded blue 2007 GLS (Front Fog/Driving Lights, Illuminated Vanity Mirror, Power Glass Sunroof, Air Conditioning, Satellite Radio System, AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System and Cruise Control On Steering Wheel) with 15,500 miles for $11,799. The in service date was 4/2007.

When I ran the Carfax it looked like a bunch of these were just sold at auction in the LA area, so there should be more popping up at various dealers very soon.
  • barrytuneupbarrytuneup Member Posts: 4
    go to cityworldhyundai.com and this is a legit price. I called them last week and they are very helpful. They had about 30 of these in stock and more are coming. It includes the $2000.00 rebate and no gimmick college and military rebate(those are deducted from the $12995. I m buying one this weekend. The sales manager also told me that the preprinted "doc and office fee" could be negotiated." because i told him i don't pay that fee. He said this is an out the door price and and no other discounts except for the military and college grad. IF you are near the bronx ny its worth it. This ad has run in ny papers for 1 month.
    my previous post forgot to mention that the price includes destination charge
    see my post(barrytuneup@yahoo.com for the better price
    What equipment does the car have on it? (Base GLS models have a stick and no A/C.)
  • rpb45rpb45 Member Posts: 3
    :)
    It's been a few weeks since I bought the 2007 and I couldn't be happier with it. For those of you buying new, just keep in mind the price difference is only part of the cost savings when buying slightly used. You don't pay a destination charge of typically 620 and the excise tax is less for a used vs new car, at least in MA where I live.

Cheers.
  • nanotubenanotube Member Posts: 30
    Seriously, I am in the LA area and got such a "loaded" GLS a year ago for $12,300 pre tax with 10 miles on the meter. And I was not alone in getting that price - you can search back in this forum.

Man these Elantras are holding their values well!
    Yes, the 07's (new design) seem to hold up ok. The dealer's copped an attitude with some of the favorable press and are getting 14k+ for them here. Whether it holds up remains to be seen, but articles comparing it favorably with a Civic don't hurt. Towne seems to be one of the few dealers with the "old" pricing (13k minus).

Good luck
    --jjf

Seriously, I am in the LA area and got such a "loaded" GLS a year ago for $12,300 pre tax with 10 miles on the meter. And I was not alone in getting that price - you can search back in this forum.

Man these Elantras are holding their values well!
  • derelixsderelixs Member Posts: 3
    Central NJ area-
    Automatic Carbon GLS with popular package, pin stripping, door/fender protecter molding, mats, nitro air in tires.

Sticker w dealer accessories was like 18k+

offer: 15557.23
    199- window etching
    19.00- finance credit bur fee.
    1104.26 tax
    7.50 state tire tax
    254 DMV Title Reg fee
    299 Dealer documentation fee

Less:
    2000k incentive
    400 college grad rebate
    -----------------------------
    15,039.99 OTD price.

What do you guys think of the deal?
    If thats an 08 auto gls msrp 17000, (dealer stuff worth $100) they seem to go all day long no dicker at towne and the other nj dealership mentioned for under 13000 +tax ,title and fees. Since you're in the area why not take advantage? Thats about what the car's worth. Your deal of 13600 +tax title seems close but higher than the others . For a manual its lousy. Get your financing figured out as you can easily leave 1500 on the table there over 4 or 5 years depending on terms.

Good luck
    --jjf

Central NJ area-
    Automatic Carbon GLS with popular package, pin stripping, door/fender protecter molding, mats, nitro air in tires.

Sticker w dealer accessories was like 18k+

offer: 15557.23
    199- window etching
    19.00- finance credit bur fee.
    1104.26 tax
    7.50 state tire tax
    254 DMV Title Reg fee
    299 Dealer documentation fee

Less:
    2000k incentive
    400 college grad rebate
    -----------------------------
    15,039.99 OTD price.

What do you guys think of the deal?
    it has auto and a/c. you can see their ad at their website cityworldhyundai.com
  • nanotubenanotube Member Posts: 30
    It is an okay price for such a great car. It sounds like you have not taken delivery yet. Please report back and share with us your experience at the dealership and actual OTD price. I hope they don't slap you with $299 doc fee like some others got upstairs.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Just brought home a grey Elantra SE auto with carpet mats, spoiler, body moldings and pin stripes to replace the 2000 Corolla my dear darling 18 year old daugher totaled last week. . Out the door 15,800. This included the $2,000 rebate. Hope I got a good price. I spent the week contacting every dealer in NJ. Not too many SE's left in the state. It was a toss up between this or a 2003 Nissan Sentra with 12,000 miles on it with no side airbags or other safety features for $7000. I feel I made the right decision putting in the extra $9,000 for the safety features. Husband is doubting my decision. Oh well. Marlene
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    Marlenelin-Your husband need worry and neither should you-You scored a great deal on a 08 Elantra SE - Heck people are paying as high as 17k or more. Enjoy you new car and of course the peace of mind of a great deal indeed.

BiggCellus
    Well, I may have to sell it. Daughter is throwing a fit because now she tells me she wanted the 2003 Sentra so she could use it as a closet, locker room, art storage, etc. and trash it like she did to our Corolla. Husband said it is a good deal but good deals do not work for everyone. After a week of doing research while mourning for my brother who died ten days ago, I've had it. I'm going to call my friend's friend and see if the 2003 Sentra is still available. Of course, when she gets in a collision and there are no side airbags to protect her, I refuse to be held responsible, or when she takes the car to college next year and can't get through the snow in northwestern PA, she can complain to him. Marlene
    Alternately, you could sell the Elantra and put the money into your retirement fund, or a really nice vacation for you and your husband, etc. And you could tell your daughter she can take public transit.

Remember, you are the parent.
    Yes, I am the parent, but my husband seems to be taking the side of my daughter and I'm sick and tired of hearing it from both of them. The last thing I want to do right now is take a vacation with him. Unfortunately, where we live, there is no public transportation.
    So much the better! ;)

Maybe a vacation by yourself? Sounds like you could use one.
    Seems like a good deal on a car with a 60/100k mi warranty. And on a difficult to deal on SE to boot. The sentra isn't as nice a car, Is out of warranty, and can easily rack up 3000+ in repairs the next 5 years. Arent they both sedan's with Elantra being bigger? Now she has a newer, better closet, locker room and storage to trash.

I can see how she may have wanted a van, mazda3 or 5, but the two sedan's are about the same in use.

Good luck
    --jjf