Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The GLS with PEP includes fogs also.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A national business reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai because of the Assurance Program (or Assurance Program Plus). Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2009.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cerkel1cerkel1 Member Posts: 7
    I am starting to get at my wits end!. I want to purchase a 2008 Elantra GLS and was offered what I feel is a fair price (based on Edmunds TMV). .SECOND offer was for 12,988 (incentive and rebate included) plus tax and tags (no trade in) for the 2008 GLS. When I first spoke to the salesman (on the phone) he quoted me 13,361 OTD. So after he told me that price I realized THAT was a great offer and then when I talked to him again and he told me 12,988 because I didn't qualify for the active military and college grad (no kidding , I am a 55 yr old grandmother) and we already discussed how much of an incentive I was qualified for during our first conversation. Do you think I have some negotiating power here? Could he have seriously made a mistake when he quoted me the first price? (in my area a 2008 Elantra GLS automatic, basic features is 13,101 plus tax and tags. Please help!! Thanks so much
    Well, after many long weeks today was the day I finally bought my new 2008 Elantra GLS. I purchased it for $13,871.66 out the door. I am 99.99% sure it was the best price. Actually, another dealer was selling it to me for $13,000 OTD but didn't get there fast enough, he had sold out. I bought the car in Washington, PA outside of Pittsburgh, PA.. :D
  • daisy3333daisy3333 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a new 2008 Elantra GLS today (Option Package 02; everything but the sunroof). Sticker was $17,395. Got $4,000 in rebates and cash back bringing total down to $13,395 and then negotiated it down further to $12, 800. $12,800 plus 6% tax and $500 in fees and doc/reg/state fee for a total OTD price of $14,041.

Purchased in CT if that makes a difference. How did I do? :blush:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Sounds pretty good.

What CT dealer? My son is looking for a used Sonata.
    Sounds like a good price to me! Which $4000 in rebates did you qualify for? I only qualified for the $ 2000 rebate. Sales tax here in PA is 7%.
    Got it at Torrington Hyundai in Northwest CT. It's actually the third car I've purchased there and the one I got yesterday was for my mom who is 72 and never had a new car! She was very excited to get a new one.
    Because it was an '08, there was a $2000 rebate from the manufacturer (cash to customer, which we used for the down payment) and then the dealer was offering another $1000 and somewhere during the negotiations there was another $1000 being offered ; I believe it was because we financed through Hyundai credit but I'm not sure. Total rebates/cash was $4000 and then I negotiated it down further.
  • himself1himself1 Member Posts: 3
    Central Auto Group in Plainfield CT has about 30 new 08 GLS, automatic with popular equipment package that they are listing on ebay for $12,500 which includes document fee. They auctioned one last week which went for $12,150 and the reserve price on the auction was $12,000. At that price you can afford to pay for shipping considerable distance and they are listing several out of state sales, as far as California.
  • jbratterjbratter Member Posts: 15
    the ebay ad says the doc fee is not included. How much is the doc fee? Is that negotiable?
    The doc fee is included in the price. They are listing at $12500 including the doc fee but you might be able to negotiate down to $12000, since this is their auction reserve price. They are also offering $500 active military discount in addition. Can't beat that.
    Yesterday I got another call from a hyundai dealer who said they were offering new 2008 Elantra's that were used as demo cars with a $4000 rebate, but I am afraid to ask what the total cost would have been with tax and fees since I already bought mine on Saturday!..
  • mkosovermkosover Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for pointing to this dealer. The doc fee is NOT included in $12500. I just bought Elantra from Central Auto Group in CT. The deal advertised on ebay 12500 + 399 Doc fee.
    I was able to get them down to following deal:

I had to finance through Hyundai to get the deal.
    Car $11800
    Doc fee $399
    Free floor mats + Free trunk mat
    Tax + Title + Reg fees (all standard fees)
    They tacked on $75 loan initiation fee, otherwise you can pay off the loan in 2 month with no prepayment penalty. The interest rate was 8.5%.
    good luck guys,
    Max
    For the first car they advertised on ebay, the doc fees were included, for the second car they weren't. The second car didn't sell - highest bid was $11000 and I think the reserve is $12000. Anyway they are obviously willing to deal around the $12000 mark including fees so it is a great price while they still have vehicles to sell.
  • rprcarrprcar Member Posts: 6
    Hyundai California dealer in city of Roseville- March 31 deal struck: 2008 Elantra GLS with Popular Equip pkg including pwr sunroof : $16,100 minus $2,750 rebates = $13,350 (I believe rebate consisted of $1,500 general rebate, $500 owner loyalty, and $750 for finance with Hyundai @ 4.9% for 5yrs) + $55 doc fees + $199 dmv licensing fees (standard), +$1171 sales tax (7.25% calif tax); no money down other than rebates applied to down. They had several other 2008's to get rid of still.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Ford, GM or Hyundai vehicle due to the owner protection plans. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Monday, April 13, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hontoyhontoy Member Posts: 13
    I am looking to purchase a 09 Elantra SE with auto transmission. Please share information on price if you have purchased one recently.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,iam getting close to purchasing a 09 elantra gls with the prefered package and sunroof.msrp for this vehcle is 18,600.00 and includes the prefered package which includes fog lights,172 watt stereo with xm radio,and some other stuff as well as the sunroof.the salesmen keeps calling me off the hook as iam sure that they are starving for buisness.what should i pay for this car?? any help here would be appreciated.thanks steve
    hello,i just recieved a email quote from a local hyundai dealer for a 09 elantra gls.
    it's for a 09 elantra gls auto with the popular equipment pack plus sunroof.pop equipment package includes fog lights,cruise,172 watt stereo with xm radio,lighted vanity mirrors ect..msrp is 18,689.00 dealers quote is 15,495.00 plus tax,tag,dealer fee.is this a good price??
    hi folks,i just recieved a quote from my local hyundai dealer for a 09 elantra gls auto with the popular equipment package with sunroof.popular equipment pack includes fog lights,cruise,172 watt stereo with xm radio,lighted vanity mirrors ect.
    msrp is 18600.00 and dealer quote is 15,495.00 plus tax,tag,dealer fee.is this a good deal??
  • aksebnaksebn Member Posts: 15
    I am purchasing a 09 Elantra GLS with popular option package and blue tooth and floor mats for $11,200 on monday. msrp is $17,965 we are trading in a 2000 pontiac montanna with 105,000 miles on it and many problems. are we getting a good deal or could we do better?
    is this a demo elantra or a brand new one?if it's brand new then you are getting a great deal considering the fact that i just got a email quote a few days ago for a brand new 09 elantra gls with the popular equipment package and sunroof for
    $15,500.00 plus TTT .you must have gotten some great rebates and a huge dealer discount to get to a price of $11,200.00..that's a steal if you ask me.
    I think that you're getting a very good deal. I am still looking in the Seattle area - the best ballpark estimate I have gotten so far for Elantara SE is around 14,000 OOD price. WA state has nearly 10% tax, so the price before tax is around 12,800.
  • unclebauncleba Member Posts: 1
    Bought Elantra GLS 2009 / Auto/AC/popular package
    central ohio, yesterday
    6 miles
    manufactured January 2009
    MSRP 17965
    Invoice 17464
    Price paid 14588 after 1500 rebate and before TTT & doc.fee
    Hope it help
  • aksebnaksebn Member Posts: 15
    It is brand new 23 miles on it. we are in pittsburgh pa. the bowser dealership has about 200 of these and i guess needs to move them. i went to 2 other dealers who could not or would not beat the price. im sure hoping this will be a good car. this was our first time negotiating on a new car.
  • gak2gak2 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought an 2009 Elantra GLS automatic with the Popular Equipment Package for our daughter. Hillsboro OR, $14,188 for everything. MSRP with the options was $17,690 + registration, etc.

I think we're pretty happy with this deal.
    i just recieved another price quote from a local hyundai dealer for a 09 elantra gls with the popular equipment package inlcuding sunroof..msrp is 18,600.00 and quote is $15,000.00 plus T.T.T....popular equipment package includes 172 watt stereo with xm,cruise control,fog lights,lighted vanity mirrors ect.after reading all of the positive reviews for this car i am getting close to purchasing one.this dealer who gave me the quote seems really anxious to get my buisness.they keep calling me and emailing me non-stop which i guess is to my advantage when it comes to negotiating the best deal on the car.
    Please provide the breakup for the $14,188 price you paid - thanks!
  • scdelanscdelan Member Posts: 10
    That's part of the car buying process - every dealer is going to go crazy trying to get you in the show room to purchase the car.

The price they're quoting you is high. I've been monitoring this thread for the past month and checking prices from local dealers. You should be able to get at least $500 cheaper, maybe even $1k. Don't tell them the price you're willing to pay - that gives them a ball park number to negotiate with. Just tell them that whatever number they come back with is too high - go lower. Be prepared to wait a lot (my suggestion is when they walk away to just explore the showroom more). They want to wear you down so you eventually settle. Don't settle.

Also, look at 08 GLS Elantras if they still have them on the lot. They have a $500 higher rebate and are pretty much the same as the 09's. You should be able to push for 13.5-13.75k on those. All this before TTT of course.
  • gak2gak2 Member Posts: 2
    OK, but the math might seem a bit squirrelly. And the alignment below is likely to be very squirrelly.

MSRP for the Standard package 15120
    + Popular Equipment Package 1750
    + Floor Mats 95
    + Trunk Cargo Net 50
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The sticker also had a little addendum on it about the "Adjusted Market Value" of an additional $2000, but we didn't really discuss that. But that might be why the cash value below is only as low as $15970. Maybe I should have fought harder about that.

The cash price they offered me was $15970
    - 2000 cash rebate 2000
    + License registration fee 113
    + Title fee 55
    + Title and registration processing fee 50
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps.
  • 67gtx67gtx Member Posts: 9
    I am about to take delivery of of a black Elantra Touring with automatic and premium package tonight. The MSRP is 20920 and the price that I negotiated is 16455.87 plus tag and sales tax. What is everyone's opinion? It seems that this is the lowest price that I could get after having 10 dealers compete against each other. Included in this figure is the dealer's outrageous 699 dealer fee so the price without that fee is actually 15756. It just seems to me that I couldn't get much lower; I hope that I'm right.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Given that the rebates are not that big on that car, I think that is a good deal. But "the price without that fee" is really immaterial, since the $699 fee is part of the dealer's quote. Some offer a really low price but huge fees, some have small fees but a higher price. It's all the same in the end.
    The 16455 is the figure that I used as a comparison with the other dealers. I was just pointing out how outrageous some of these dealers are with their doc fees.
    dealer fee's can be negoitiated down if you play your cards right.because of the bad economy and slow auto sales dealers are starving for buisness.i went with a friend of mine recently who purchased a 09 elantra gls with the popular equip package and sunroof.the dealers fee's were 899.00 and he got them to come down to 500.00...he also got a great deal on the car as well.msrp was 18,600.00 which is for 09 elantra gls auto with the popular equip package and sunroof for $15,500.00.
  • trdsddtrdsdd Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering how you like the car.

Also, would you mind if I asked the name of the dealership. I am in the market for an Elantra Touring and I would love to get one at a similar price.
  • bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    Steve:

If you got the car for $15k why did your buddy get his for $15.5?. Did you get military discount? I am getting ready to trade my 08 Elantra on an 09. Dealer is having me wait a few more weeks as they think there will be another $500 dealer cash avalaible. Using your pricing to compare as I am getting mine in Southwestern PA. Paid $15.2 for an SE with premium package last year (including mats, mud guards, trunk mat and net) plus the tax.
    The car is great; it's my first Hyundai and I'm impressed. I wish it had more power though. It seems kind of gutless in comparison to what I'm used to but a good car none the less. I got it at Bob Dance in Longwood.
  • scdelanscdelan Member Posts: 10
    Received internet quotes of 13700 for 09 GLS w/PEP and 14500 for 09 SE model without packages today. Salesman said he'd be willing to drop a little more to make a deal.

bob225, you think there will be more incentives available soon? $500 cash to dealer would bring in more bargaining room and is probably worth waiting for.
  • trdsddtrdsdd Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the information. Hopefully I'll be enjoying my first one too. I'm in upstate NY, and hoping to have someone up here match or come close to their prices.

Thanks again
  • dsn15238dsn15238 Member Posts: 1
    Was the car automatic or manual? Thanks.
  • jumblies1jumblies1 Member Posts: 2
    16 inch wheels/Cruise, not the top of the line package.

Prenegotiated via email btwn 5 dealers. Bottom OTD price of 17400. Specified NO dealer add ons like floor mats or cargo net (130 for these... are you kidding? Try costco). Asst-GM pitched 17400 before TTL. I smiled politely and asked him to read the email again as it was that OUT THE DOOR.

Traded 178000 mile Subaru Outback Legacy Wagon with trade appraisal of 1500 from several dealers. This car was probably only worth a few hundred more on the private market, and more in parts, but not worth the hassle. This car was only good for wholesale auction/junkyard parts. I could not have a private sale on my conscience or stomach the liability.

Comps: Matrix/Vibe: 15200 with trade and 3 year warranty. Versa (not really a comp IMHO), Didn't take the effort to negotiate. I love nissans to death and proudly still own a 1972 Datsun 240Z, but the company has lost it's way. Fit (too small/light to survive crash).

MSRP 18900
    Inspect 14
    Sales tax 490
    License and title 55
    Dealer Fee 600
    -----------------------
    Total 20056 :mad:

Trade 2619So they fudged the trade value to make up the diff.
    Rebate 1500

Total OTD: 15938
    :)

Summary:
    Preneg price of 17400 OUT THE DOOR *This was key, b/c I could always reference the email during negotiations*

Oh, and the dealer ended up including the floor mats, cargo net and ipod cable, which would be stupid if they didn't.

** I think you could go lower to 17000 out the door, but that's probably close to the wall.
  • curious31curious31 Member Posts: 6
    My lowest negotiated price is $14,025 for a base 2009 Elantra SE with auto. transmission. This price includes freight and dealer fees. But does not include taxes, tags or a trade-in. Based on my research this is a good deal (edmunds true market value for same car is $15,882). I have not yet accepted the offer and am still mulling it over so what do you guys think?

Thanks,
  • xavxav Member Posts: 23
    This is a very good price. I was offered like 14.8k + fees for a 2008 model!!

Does that include any student or military rebate?
    It does not include any student or military discounts. Just the $2000 rebate available to everyone. The dealer fees are $100 dollars.

I got that price by going through USAAs car buying service. But I believe USAAs car buying service is operated by ZAG.com. So if you are a member of any of the companies associated with ZAG you might want to give it a try. I believe ZAG negotiates with local dealers to give you an up front price. I myself am not a member of the military but my dad was which is why I am eligible to be a USAA member but I do not get the military discount.
  • lastsmilelastsmile Member Posts: 1
    Do you mind telling me which dealer you bought your 09 GLS. We are about in the same area. We quotes I received are much higher than your price. Thanks!
  • jumblies1jumblies1 Member Posts: 2
    If you have some time, I would do the email blitzkrieg. Use that as your starting point and pick 5 dealers in a 100 mile radius. While I think it's good price, I think you can go lower. What is the OTD price?
    Hi jumblies,

Thanks for the advice. I will try the email blitzkrieg. I have a list of ~10 dealers within 100 miles that I have already gotten quotes from. I will pass around my best quote and see if any of them can beat it. With regards to OTD price I have not yet gotten the official quote from the dealer. Based on my calculations it should be ~$15,218.

See:

$13,925 + $2000= $15,925 #adding the rebate back onto the price of the car.

$15,925 * 0.06= $956 #calculating the sales tax. (Maryland 6% sales tax)

$13,925 + $956 = $14,881 #adding the sales tax to the price of the vehicle.

$14,881 + $237=$15,118 #adding tag and title fees.

$15,118 + $100=$15,218 #adding the dealer fees.

So assuming I have not left anything out the total OTD price should be ~$15,218. This is based on numbers given to me by the dealer for the cost of tag and title fees, sales tax, and dealer fees. I am in the process of getting an official OTD estimate emailed to me. Hopefully it does not differ substantially from my estimate. If it does again assuming I have not left anything out I would require an explanation from the dealer as to why there is a major difference.

All the Best,
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Doc fees are meaningless as long as you get the full price with all fees from the 10+ dealers you get email bids from within 100-200 miles of you, usually last week of the month.

A used 08 elantra auto gls (msrp 17600) barely has a wholesale trade in value of 10000 with avg miles. This is what your 09 will be worth in 12months. I doubt a fully loaded one (msrp 19000) has a trade in of $11000. In other words $14500 is nothing to write home about for the 09 17600 gls. Eating 4000-5000 1st 12 months to drive one of these things isn't great.

The 08 20400 msrp Sonata gls auto also has a used trade in of $10000 with avg miles. (kbb.com) $15500 is no great deal on a new one. The 08 $27000 msrp Sonata limited has a trade in of $11000. Once again, what your 09 will be be worth in 12 months.

Suzuki and Hyundai are the few manufacturers not to post 30-40% sales drops. (They posted 2% sales drops). They are playing their marketing to the hilt.Selling vehicles for possibly more than they did last year at this time.

The 18500 Mazda 3 i touring value auto may be had for about 15000 and change, and will be worth almost $13000 in 12 mo. A versa $16000-18000 hatch or sedan for about 12000-14000, and worth 10000-11000. A $19500 pontiac vibe or toyota matrix-- $15400 or so. (worth almost $12000 next year)

The kia spectra forum has a $17500 car similar to the elantra, for possibly $11500 or so (worth $8500 used in 12 months). Sucky depreciation like the elantra yes-- but possibly much more of a discount. Worth investigating if true.

The mazda is a much better car and value than the elantra, as well as the others. Don't get a ticket getting to the dealer for any of the prices posted, they aren't that great as Hyundai doesn't need to deal. Their sales are great and they are playing their 8% of the market like a fiddle. Check out other options unless for some reason you really really want a hyundai elantra or sonata.

Good luck
    --jjf
    This is my first Hyundai (never thought I'd ever own one) and up until the past 6 years, I've owned nothing but foreign cars. Since 2002 and in additon to a few foreign cars, I've owned several Jeeps, Dodge Rams and Durangos and I now have an 09 Challenger as my daily driver. All the domestic vehicles have been FLAWLESS but the 2006 Mazda 3 that I purchased new was nothing but problems and had a very sub par A/C system. To say that the Mazda 3 is a "much better" car than the Hyundai is just wrong in my opinion. I've only had the Hyundai a short while but I can tell you that the paint quality, panel gaps and the quality of plastics inside of the Elantra is FAR ahead of the 2010 Mazda 3. I also find the driving position, ride quality/quietness and seat support to be superior in the Hyundai. IMHO, the quality at Hyundai is right there with Honda and Toyota as first rate, with Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda seemingly below that level. Today's Hyundai is far different from the Hyundai of just 10 years ago and the public perception of this brand is changing so is the level of depreciation of the most current models.