Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    scdean...Dealer is hoping to see at least $500 off by this weekend.
    jfritsch..."A used 08 Elantra auto gls (msrp 17600) barely has a wholesale trade in value of 10000 with avg miles. This is what your 09 will be worth in 12months. I doubt a fully loaded one (msrp 19000) has a trade in of $11000. In other words $14500 is nothing to write home about for the 09 17600 gls. Eating 4000-5000 1st 12 months to drive one of these things isn't great."

I disagree with this. I bought an 08 Elantra SE with premium package in April 08 for $15,200 (MSRP around $19.5k). Car has 33,000 miles on it. They have already given me a trade in price of $10.k (provided I do not exceed 35,000 miles before we close deal). Looking at the same car but an 09 Elantra with exact same options plus Bluetooth. I want a $5,000 OTD price. He is at $6,000 right now. Hoping to see some dealer cash this weekend to get it to where I want it. I think$5,200 depreciation with 33,000 miles is pretty darn good. I get mileage for work so I already have close to $11K in the bank. Give them $5k and pocket the $6k and for me the car is a money maker. One could argue that I should run my '08 into the ground and not trade in but I would rather rotate vehicles every year if this is the delta after 12 months.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    I purchased a touring this week in central NJ and I think I got a great price. Cost was 3,050 OTD with a trade of my 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd with 61,000 miles on it that was in good condition. The way they wrote up the purchase stated that they were giving me $13,000 for my Sienna. The receipt was confusing but the bottom line was all I cared about. I probably could have gotten about $15 for my Sienna selling it privately, but I saved about $1,000 on the tax and this was much easier. It is the base model, black with light interior, automatic, with mats and wheel locks. So far I'm getting about 24 mpg around town in some heavy traffic. I have a question about the key fob. It opens up the car but when I press on the hatch door it does not release it. Is that typical of other tourings or does my fob need to be reprogrammed? Thanks Marlene
    Marlene, hold the trunk release for 5-6 secs. They have a time delay so it doesn’t open by just tapping it (unintentionally)
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. That is a good fix over the 2008 Elantra SE that I also own. I've noticed a few times when driving the 2008 that the trunk would be open and realized that the fob must have leaned against something in my purse or my pocket that opened it. I never thought this Toyota only family would now be almost an all Hyundai family, but I love both Elantra's. Thanks Marlene
  • 4elantra4elantra Member Posts: 10
    Priced Elantra GLS including pkg total $16091 OTD in NYC (tax 8.25%), still negotiating.

How about you - can you give me some info or copy of estimate (without personal info of course)....trying to get the best deal. Seems like the SE price is better
    Thanks for any help
  • curious31curious31 Member Posts: 6
    Hi 4elantra,

I bought the car (Elantra SE automatic) this Monday for an OTD price of $14,967.

The OTD breakdown is:

$13,795 car price

-$295 trade in # My trade in was a real clunker I am happy I got anything for it.

$930 # 6% MD sales Tax (including the $2000 rebate)

$200 # floor mats, wheel locks, cargo mat, rear cargo tray.

$237 #Tag and title fees

$100 #dealer fees

Total cost:

$13500 #cost of car minus trade in
    +$930
    +$237
    +$200
    +$100

Total=$14967

Total without trade-in is ~$15262

In my case the first OTD price quoted to me at the dealer was to high by about $500 dollars. After I showed them the breakdown they gave me the correct OTD price. Whether it was an honest mistake or not I have no idea. In any case it saved me $500 to calculate what the OTD price should be based on state tax, dealer fees, etc.

With regards to price quotes. If you go to Alexandria hyundai web page here:

http://www.alexandriahyundai.com/

And search their new car inventory for Elantras you should find a couple automatic SEs for around ~14,200. I emailed and asked for the internet price and was given a quote of $13,700 for an Elantra SE automatic. I was able to use that quote to get a Maryland dealer to drop their price to $13,795. The MD dealer fees were $100 compared to ~$400 dealer fees in Virginia. Hence overall the MD offer was the best one by about $200. If you can get a similar $13,700 quote for an Elantra SE from Alexandria hyundai you may be able to use it as ammunition with local dealers in NY. Alternatively you can drive down to VA and buy the car directly assuming you think it is worth it. Frankly using the listed price on the Alexandria website for a GLS AT the OTD price is better than $16091. Using a tax of %8.25 and assuming tag and title fees are ~$230. The OTD price for a GLS AT from Alexandria is ~$15,085 (I am assuming this includes the popular equipment package from the Alexandria website this is not clear).

In any case I have made my purchase and am stuck with it :). I wish you luck in your negotiations.

All the Best,
    curious31
    The best price I found for the Touring was at Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. I took their estimate along with my Sienna tradein to Brad Benson's in South Brunswick, NJ and they were able to beat Towne by $800, giving me that much more for my trade. Do not go to Brad Benson's unless you have a price quote from another dealer that you want beaten. They are vultures and will give you a hard time leaving without buying..
  • familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    Marlenelin:

You did very well!

I've gotten quotes from Towne before and they've always beaten my local dealer by 000's. I may try your manuever if I end up purchasing the Touring.
  • familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    jfritsch:

I do agree with you that Hyundai's resale value is not it's strongest feature. If you tend to hold cars until they die, then it doesn't matter.

I do agree that, right now, the M3 is the better buy. Hyundai is doing well (compared to other manufacturers as you pointed out and is less inclined to offer those juicy rebates). I am fortunate I am able to wait.

I'm shopping the Touring, M3, and the VW Golf (tdi in the fall). They are all nice cars and I don't think I could go wrong with any of them. I do, however, try to place a dollar value for each vehicle to assist me in my choice. I can get a 2010 M3 Hatch for @19k. The 2009 Touring was offered to me at a local Hyundai dealership at 17.5k (manual base pkg). I valued the 1 year difference at 2k (2010 vs 2009). I then valued the Mazda vs. Hyundai difference at 1.5-2k (I know Hyundai quality has improved greatly...I did like the car...Mazda does have a stronger resale and most folks would pay more for the Mazda..so don't throw stones). By my reckoning that puts my adjusted value of the Touring at 15-15.5k. So, if Hyundai cuts loose with a great rebate, I'm in. If not, I'll wait for the Golf to compare and then run my adjusted value at that time. Who knows, maybe Mazda will have a great rebate or I can get a government handout (cash for clunkers).
    My receipt is written up strangely, but the bottom line is that I put out $3,050 which was $800 less than Towne and several thousand less than other dealers. This is how it is written:
    Touring, auto b pearl, auto w/ mats and wheel lks $16.492
    Less trade in - $13,000
    State sales tax 6% (based on 3942) $275
    Title $75
    document fee $249
    Nj Tire fee $7.50
    Total $4,550.00
    less rebate -1500.00
    amount due $3,050.00

I love it so far. Marlene
    Thanks for info, did this include premium pkg (sunroof & heated front seats), or premium & leather pkg?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    False. If you buy a 27000 hyunda limited sonata for what they usually go for ($20000), and the 08 has a used trade in value of under $12000, you've just paid over $8000 to drive a Hyundai the 1st 12 months, regardless if you keep the car 1year or 12 years.

Better yet, you may get to pay finance charges on the 8000 for the 4 or so years to pay the thing off. You do this to have a car that is not held in that high regard in the used market, or by the public. Probably around a Chevy, or less. For most production vehicles like this, one would like to eat around 3000 or so 1st year.

Agree Hyundai is a much better car than it was 4 years ago, but the used scene hasn't changed in 20 years.

A good sales price for the Sonata gls auto (msrp 20400) or elantra gls auto/pkg (msrp 17500) is around the $13000's . Less than this is something to get excited about. (the 08's trade in of both used is $10000)

Good luck
    --jjf

A
    You also have

jfritsch:

I do agree with you that Hyundai's resale value is not it's strongest feature. If you tend to hold cars until they die, then it doesn't matter.
    No, this did not include the premium package. I felt approximately $1500 more for sunroof, and larger wheels was not necessary for me. Mine does not have leather either. I had to try to keep the cost to $3,000 plus my Sienna LTD or else I couldn't buy the car (husband issue), so I came within $50 of my goal. Marlene
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Consider that the 2008 Sonata is now a 2 year old model, since it was introduced in early 2007. The 2009 Sonata is now over 1 year old, since it was introduced in early 2008. So when you are looking at a used 2008 Sonata for $12,000 trade in value, keep in mind that represents TWO years of depreciation--with less depreciation if you go by private party value vs. trade-in value.

I have to laugh whenever I see statements like "a good sales price for the Sonata GLS auto is around $13000s." That is simply not a realistic price for that car. I challenge you to find ONE report here of someone who bought a new (non-demo/loaner) 2009 Sonata GLS auto with MSRP around $20,400 for the $13,000s. Maybe it has happened someplace, under very special circumstances. But I think it is misleading to suggest to buyers that a good sales price for that car is in the $13,000s. It sets unrealistic expectations for what is possible in this market. I know where deals like that CAN be found right now--try one of the Chrysler or GM dealerships that is being forced to close. I've seen reports of great deals available at those dealerships.
  • curious31curious31 Member Posts: 6
    It did not include the premium pkg just the standard features.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I know I'm replying to a several day old post, but here goes. I own a previous generation Elantra - a 2006 GLS sedan. Previous to buying the new Elantra, I've owned a Honda, Toyota, Mazda, SAAB, Volvo, Dodge Grand Caravan, and some other imports. My son bought a new Mazda 3 Grand Touring 5-door last summer. I, too, wouldn't call the Mazda a "much better" car, as my son's had a few problems, including a consistenly sub-standard A/C system. In comparison to the previous Honda and Toyota bought new, the Elantra takes a back seat to neither of them in build quality. In fact, the Elantra is the first new car I've ever purchased which had zero defects from the factory, and still does to this day - nearly 4 years after purchase, not one failure of anything.

I don't concern myself with depreciation, as I generally keep a vehicle for at least 10 years, sometimes much longer. In fact, I still have the '85 SAAB 900 I bought new in April 1985. Market perception is what drives depreciation levels, and sometimes this is not in step with reality.
  • faykfayk Member Posts: 13
    Hi - I am in VA and my daughter is looking at the Honda Civic LX 4dr AT vs the Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr AT. The pricing we have right now is $16,500 OTD on the Honda (2.9% financing 36 months) vs $15,500 OTD on the Elantra (0% financing 36 months). Our family owns 3 Hondas so I know that's a great deal on the Honda. Don't know as much about the Elantra. Thoughts anyone? I'd appreciate any input which helps her make the decsion. Thank you. :)
    In the tristate area & was able to negotiate $14500 OTD Elantra GLS from three places. Did not take any of them. Looking at some other options. Good luck.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Are the Civic LX and the Elantra SE comparable trim levels? While there is $1,000 difference in price in the deals you mention (plus the finance charge savings), is there a difference in standard equipment?

Both cars are supposed to be very reliable.
    The SE Elantra comes with traction control and vehicle stability. Does the LX Civic have it as well? I own a 2008 Elantra Se and love it. My friends own a 2009 EX Civic (the upgraded model) and love it. I just purchased a 2009 Elantra Touring two weeks ago. My husband owns a 2006 Honda Accord and I don't find the seats as comfortable as I do the Elantra. I feel too low to the ground. You might want to contact the internet department at Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. They usually seem to have the best prices on Hyundai's. Get an internet quote from them and then take it to your dealer.
    There is quite a difference in equipment levels between the Civic LX and Elantra SE. Besides the aforementioned stability and traction control, the Elantra has alloy wheels, trip computer, leather-wrapped wheel and shifter, fog lamps, audio controls on the wheel, 60/40 folding rear seat with center armrest, XM radio with 6-speaker stereo, USB jack (I think the 2009 Elantra added that), heated mirrors, not to mention a longer warranty. The Elantra is also considerably roomier, especially in back. The Civic though has a 5-speed automatic, superior fuel economy, and better crash scores. If you are buying mainly based on equipment, the Elantra is the better deal, but the Civic will hold its value better, which is important if you plan on selling it in 2-3 years.
    Elantra SE is clearly a better deal. More options and reliability should be about the same.
  • carguy2010carguy2010 Member Posts: 2
    I just finalized the deal on a 2009 Elantra GLS with Preferred Package, Bluetooth and Cargo Tray for 13,700 + Tax, Title and Registration. The dealer is Keyes Hyundai in Van Nuys CA. My itemized price and the OTD are as follows

Base Price: 15700
    Tax on Base: 1300 (8.25% in Ventura, CA)
    Price after 2000 Rebate: 13700
    DMV Fee: 270
    Doc Fee: 55
    Tire Fee: 8.75
    OTD: 153,34
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,967
    Is this the wagon model? Saw 2 blue Elantra wagon looking cars on the way home earlier and liked what I saw. Has nice lines that look better than the sedan actually. The wife is interested in the Elantra and the wagon looks neat. Bet it's pricey though.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Pricey? I dunno. The Touring with AT lists for a few hundred bucks less than a Civic LX-S AT, but includes extra equipment such as stability control, traction control, fog lamps, heated mirrors, USB port, adjustable lumbar support, leather wheel and shifter, and trip computer. And that is before the current $1500 rebate on the Touring. Lots more room than a Civic also. The back seat is absolutely HUGE--more legroom I think than a Sonata. The days when Hyundais were simply "cheap" are gone. But they offer a lot for the money.
  • carguy2010carguy2010 Member Posts: 2
    It is the GLS Sedan
    What I saw was definitely not a sedan...it looked like a station wagon and it was very cool. Will check it out as a replacement for my '06 Civic come 2012 or 2013.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

What you likely saw was the new Elantra Touring which is a station wagon. I purchased one two weeks ago and I love it. I also have a 2008 Elantra SE Sedan. The ride in the Touring is different than the sedan. It is stiffer and the seats are not as cushy, but I love both cars. Marlene
    Very nice car and will definitely consider it for my next vehicle. Our daughter got an Accent last November and we're very impressed with it. The older girl almost got the '09 Elantra GLS but the dealer and I couldn't agree on a fair price so she got a Versa hatch CVT. But I have no qualms about buying another Hyundai product in the future since the wife also likes the Elantra. She hates wagons though but time will tell.

I don't love wagons, but I traded my 2004 Toyota Sienna LTD which was a real great hauler but heavy to drive. We still needed something to get our daughter's belongings to and from college, so the wagon was the best choice for us. I figure I can stay home, and my husband and daughter can make the trip up to college, and that way the back seat can come down which gives a better chance of getting all her c--p up there.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai vehicle recently (within the past four months) because of the Hyundai Assurance Program. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.
  • ktv1969ktv1969 Member Posts: 9
    I just got the following quote from a local dealer in Orange county, CA.

Is this a good price? I am looking for a SE Model, but they sent me a quote for a GSL one. Thanks for any input.

Per your request, this is a quote for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ Popular Equipment Pkg.

MSRP 17840
    Invoice 17035
    Your Internet Net Price 14035!! (before TTL)
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    This would be great if:

1) The 08 trade in value of the same elantra wasn't barely $10000.
    2) The Pontiac G6 well equipped around the country wasn't going for $13000 or less
    3) The Kia Spectra and possibly Optima similarly equipped may be sellling for $11000 (check those forums and your local dealers)
    4) At least one SE elantra quote on this forum wasn't in the low 14000's.
    5) The Hyundai Sonata auto around the country didn't frequently sell in the $14000s this time of year.

good luck
    --jjf

I just got the following quote from a local dealer in Orange county, CA.

Is this a good price? I am looking for a SE Model, but they sent me a quote for a GSL one. Thanks for any input.

Per your request, this is a quote for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ Popular Equipment Pkg.

MSRP 17840
    Invoice 17035
    Your Internet Net Price 14035!! (before TTL)
    If you can get a G6 with abs, traction control, sunroof, heated seats and upgraded wheels for $13k please let me know where, because that is a better deal than the Elantra SE I am looking at.
    Was that $14,035 OTD (Out the Door-including fees, taxes), You can negotiate. May 30, able to negotiate 14,500 OTD from several dealers for this model elantra GLS 2009.

Please let me know. Bargain hard & stay firm...
    Unfortunately, the quoted price of $14, 035 is before Taxes, Title, and License fees. The quoted price only includes the destination fee, which is charged on every car.

I think you got a great deal. Can you tell me where you got that deal? I think $14, 500 or so is a good deal for OTD for Elantra GSE. At least, that is what I think. Does anyone think otherwise? Thanks for any info.
    OTD means out the door, that is the final price for car, taxes, fees....have a car salesman calling with a$14,200 in the NYC area.
  • csi007csi007 Member Posts: 26
    Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 Elantra Touring with the following:

Sport Package
    Bluetooth (Don't really want or need it)
    Floor Mats

For $17,406 + Tax, Tags and Title.
  • chinattachinatta Member Posts: 3
    $14,200 is a low-ball price. or you have to choose finance.

I have been looking for a 2009 elantra GLS with popular package for more than 2 weeks. The best deal is 15000, which is cash price. For finance price, I have been offered to 14000. For sure I rejected because my credit history is only 3 years long.
  • scdelanscdelan Member Posts: 10
    jfritsch, your bias against Hyundai/Kia cars is quite evident.

I've looked at your other posts and a lot seem to just bash Hyundais for losing their value after 1 year. Quote just to illustrate from the Malibu forum:

If one pays the normal $20000 for a 27000msrp 09 Hyundai Sonata limited, it is not worth getting excited about 7000 off msrp, as the 08 Sonata has a trade in value of $11000. (if that)

In this example, one (many on the Sonata forum) has paid $9000 to drive a average sedan the 1st 12 months. This is whether you drive the car 1year or 10 years. One may also be paying finance charges on the 9000 for 5 years and be instantly underwater. Many are paying $6000 to drive the $20000 msrp Gls for 12 mo. $4000 off msrp here no great shakes.

Alright, let's play your game. First off, your numbers are wrong. An 08 Sonata Limited will fetch around $13k from a dealer trade in with 10k miles. A GLS will fetch around $11k. That's a $7k depreciation from the Limited and a $4-5k depreciation from the GLS.

Now this is a large depreciation - I will admit that. However, this is under the absolutely absurd assumption that you WILL trade in the car after one year. Who in their right mind would do that? Most people purchase a car to use it, not give it back after a year. If you keep the car for a longer period of time, you'll see the depreciation amounts begin to become closer.

Furthermore, this assumes that the cars your comparing are equal when they're absolutely not. Compare the Sonata to the Mazda3 and tell me you're getting the same features? Power seats, trunk space, safety, etc. You get MORE features for LESS money buying a Hyundai. That's something you can't factor into depreciation numbers.

Oh, and let's not forget the warranties here. Those Mazdas and Toyotas you seem to push only have 3/5 year warranties. Good luck with maintenance costs after that. Sure they could be reliable cars - that still doesn't mean they won't break and incur hundreds or thousands of dollars in repair costs. With Hyundais it's a non-issue. The warranty also makes a good selling point if you ever did want to sell it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that you're just trying to scare people away. For some people a Hyundai might be the right car for them. Why try to stretch the truth and convince them otherwise? If they're happy with the car let them buy it. If you want to be helpful then tell them if the deal they've been offered is a good deal now - not a year from now.

Sorry all for getting off topic.
    This especially holds true for people like myself who like to drive their vehicles into the ground. ;) I couldn't give a crap about the resale value. If I was planning on selling the vehicle after a year or two I would certainly take this into consideration.

I sat in a Rav4 because I thought it would fit my needs the best. Once I test drove it I realized that I would not be happy with the vehicle. I sat in the Elantra Touring and it felt perfect for me from the start. Why on earth would I want the Rav4 that I really didn't care for? Why drive it around and be unhappy with it knowing I paid more for less vehicle?
    I think that is quite high. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd and got $13,000 for it. I paid an additional 3,050 for a Touring with mats and wheel locks OTD. Mine does not have the Sport Package I got a price from another dealer w/o my trade of $16400 OTD.
    18235 on your OTD price if you added the sport package and the bluetooth. Mine would be about 18500 with tax etc. Not too far off. What part of the country are you in?

Edit: Edmunds TMV price with the options listed above is 18111. My price is a little over 800 less.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    He further cooked the numbers by comparing an '08 Sonata Limited (6 cyl?) with an MSRP of $24,170 to an '09 Sonata Limited (6 cyl?) with an MRSP of $26,550.

The '09 was a model year "refresh" and included more standard equipment, features which had been optional in '08.
    Can someone tell me if this is a good price for a 2009 SE Sentra

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE

M.S.R.P. 18,935

Invoice $18,318

Hold back $547

Internet discount $200

Your price $14,571 Plus tax and fees

This is what the dealer said that comes with this deal:

This Is an 2009 Hyundai Elantra SE Carbon Gray on gray automatic .This is the mid range model. this has 16' allow wheels am/fm/cd/sat/aux , AC, cruise, 6 air bags, traction control, additional items from factory are carpeted floor mats and bluetooth. There are many other features this vehicles has that I have not stated.

Thanks for any suggestions/input.
    I'm in central NJ. The wheel locks and mats are worth about $200. I assume yours has them as well. I received the price without the trade from Towne Hyundai's internet dept. They are in Denville, NJ. You might ask them for a quote and take it to your dealer. My quote included the 1500 rebate from Hyundai. I was able to negotiate Brad Benson Hyundai down lower, but I wouldn't go to them unless you are ready to walk out with a car. They are extremely high pressure and take your license and make you sign a form when you come in that you will definitely buy during that visit if the price is right. Towne Hyundai seemed much more honest.
    How much is the sport package and bluetooth? My OTD price was $16,050 without the sport package and blue tooth but with mats and wheel locks. Of course, my tax was less than yours will be since I paid tax only on the $3,050 because of my trade. I do love the touring thus far. I just hit 1,000 miles this morning. My husband is disappointed in the gas mileage. I am getting between 24 and 25 mpg around town, and he was hoping for more. It's alot better than the 17 mpg I was getting with my Sienna though. My friend just purchased a 2008 Prius and is getting 50 mpg around town.
    The invoice price of the sport model with bluetooth is $20405. This car does not have the wheel locks but does have mats.

The mileage sounds kind of low. What does "around town" mean to you? I would hope to get at least 27 to 30 with the kind of driving I do which consists mostly of rural roads and highway.
    The MSRP tag price of my touring was $19,475. Around town for me is 6 to 7 mile drives in heavy traffic during rush hour, and rural roads the rest of the time. Have done just a little highway driving.