Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• csi007csi007 Member Posts: 26
    That mileage does not sound too bad for the conditions then. How much your commute is rural roads?
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Most of my commute is rural roads, but often I can't go over 30 mph and many times it is stop and go traffic. Just depends on the day.
    Yeah, that would kill your gas mileage so I am not surprised with what you are getting but look on the bright side, you still have about 9k more miles of break-in to go so your mileage will likely improve. And of course you are getting above the EPA rating of 23 city. :)
  • sensation2004sensation2004 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all.
    I am looking forward to buying an Elantra w/popular package in Maryland. I was offered to purchase the vehicle at $12,702 + 695 (freight) = 13,397.
    I guess they really want to earn my business by not charging me its processing fee of 99. What you all think??

Ourisman in Laurel
    The price given is before taxes, registration, etc...
  • 4elantra4elantra Member Posts: 10
    Is this the complete price. If so let me know where in Md. How about taxes?
  • starwriterstarwriter Member Posts: 1
    Maita *Hyundai* has gone out of business.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who is considering purchasing a Hyundai or Kia or have purchased one this year. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 30, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• liznlizn Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2009 touring, automatic, with floor mats, I-Pod cable, and mud guards. With free oil changes, inspections, & tires for two years.
    $14,830 out the door. Taxes, registration, and fees were around $800 (I live in Virginia). :) So my price was at $14,000.
    Hope this helps anyone that's shopping.
  • evergreen2evergreen2 Member Posts: 9
    Wow. You did get a great deal. I bought my first car and I don't think I did very well. I paid $16,000 plus taxes (4.1%) and registration for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra SE with Bluetooth and carpet mats. No other charges. No trade-in. I have a credit score of 809, but the best offer on the financing was 4.40%. I bought the car in Colorado where I live. It was actually the last silver SE car in the whole state, but the dealer didn't know that I really wanted that color. I just didn't realize how low you could go in negotiations until I read this site. I feel a little taken. :(
    Hi Curious 31,

In Colorado, the dealer puts on temporary tags when you buy the car. I don't need to pay for tags and registration until I pick up the tags two months later. In Maryland, do they make you pay for the temporary tags when you buy the car? Or is that $237.00 for your tags and registration for the year? Thanks.
    After the JD Power report yesterday on CNBC, I think the resale of the Hyundai Elantra SE has just gone way up. I don't know if you remember, but the resale value of a Honda use to be very poor in the US. It took years for their resale value to go up as their quality was established.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai has gotten pretty good JD Power scores for several years now. It will take more than a good score in the IQS to bring the resale value of the Elantra SE "way up". I think other events such as the steady improvement in quality over the past ten years, favorable reviews by the likes of Edmunds.com and CR, and the long-term uptick in the price of gas will have more effect on the Elantra's resale value than a JD Power IQS survey. But it doesn't hurt. USA Today even featured a photo of the Elantra with its story on the IQS results.
    That makes sense, Backy. Thanks for the insight.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Good prices this time of year on new:

Sonata 09 gls auto msrp 20400 $14xxx

Elantra 09 gls auto(pkg) msrp 17500 $13xxx SE $14xxx Touring 14xxx

The 08 Sonata, Elantra gls or SE are all worth used about 10000-11000 trade-in, so those good prices are about what you would want.

The Kia counterparts of these cars (spectra, optima) may be selling for several thousand less and blue book used about $1000 less than the Hyundai's. May be worth checking out.

The used mkt for these cars has been soft for decades. This continues to be the case until evidence shows it has changed. Obviously better quality and higher sales can't hurt.

Good luck
    --jjf"
    The Kia counterparts of these cars (spectra, optima) may be selling for several thousand less...

Please let me know where I can buy a new 2009 Optima LX for several thousand less than $14xxx. I would buy one at that price in a second.
  • nairbsodnairbsod Member Posts: 8
    lizn --- I'm also in Virginia and looking at the Touring. That is a great price. What dealership was it?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    That car doesn't exist...take everything that guys says with a grain of salt!

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Which car?

(It helps when you use "Reply", so we know which message you are referring to. :) )
    Thanks, jfritsch, but the Kia isn't rated as high as the Hyundai Elantra SE in Consumers Reports. So I think I'll stick with the SE. I do keep my cars till they die, by then the Hyundai will probably be like the Honda in resale. But, regardless, by then it won't be worth much no matter what type of car it is.... Though I must say, I sold my 12 year old car in 15 minutes on craigslist for $4,500. Never know....
    There is no Elantra Touring premium package..
  • curious31curious31 Member Posts: 6
    Hi evergreen2,

The $237 is for the permanent plates. So in my case I paid the tags and title fee when I bought the car. I did not have to pay any additional fees when I came in and picked up my permanent license plates.

All the Best,
    Thanks, Curious31, for the info.
  • 4elantra4elantra Member Posts: 10
    Settle to purchase at Brad Benson, NJ for under slightly under $15,000, included few extras. Very happy with car & price.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Yes, do tell! Which Va. dealer is GIVING away Tourings? Inquiring minds want to know!!! Thanks!!!
    PS Fairfax has got a bunch of 'em in stock right now. Lucky guess?
  • glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    Wow, that VA dealer is giving a great deal! A local Hyundai dealer in Portland offered $15,999. This is just the basic Touring with Automatic Transmission. I have not asked around.

Any idea if that $14K deal someone got in VA is still do-able or did someone just get really lucky?
    Alright backy, YOU are all things Hyundai so here's a question: Is there a way to tell in advance, based on your extensive experience with this manufacturer, if Hyundai typically extends their rebates/incentives right through the summer July-Sept)? The current ones are listing 6/30 expiration dates but am curious if this is done month to month just to make the consumer anxious. Your opinion most appeciated! TIA.

Joe
    Is there a way to tell in advance, based on your extensive experience with this manufacturer, if Hyundai typically extends their rebates/incentives right through the summer July-Sept)?

No. Not precisely, anyway.

Think about it: if buyers could determine future rebates/incentives, that would cause havoc with the manufacturers' marketing and sales.

But considering the recession and all, and the fact Elantra sales are not that great right now, I think it's a good bet that Hyundai will keep rebates on the Elantra through the summer, especially since they'll need to start clearing the lots of 2009s pretty soon for the 2010s. Just what those rebates will be is anybody's guess. They could go up, or down.

If I knew the answer to your question, I would be one pretty wealthy guy. :)
    Thanks backy for your feedback. Only reason I asked, I'm anxiously awaiting this Cash for Clunkers program the fed is about to begin here next month having a clunker myself that qualifies. The vouchers will run as high as $4500! Was wondering if the manufacturers see this coming and decide amongst themselves to scale back the rebates so as to retain some of their lost profits (end of model year ALWAYS does this no matter how hard they try to hold the line IMHO. (9/30 is typically a GREAT day to buy from my experience over the years btw) Will be interesting to see what happens. Like you said though, regardless, in this economy they've still got to make room for the 10's showin' up by the end of the summer/early Fall. Take away the rebates and the customer could shift to the competition down the street and what have you got? Excess inventory! ;)
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    I wouldnt get your hopes up of getting $4500 for your clunker. The magic word is "up to" $4500. The dealer gives you whatever current scrap price is and based on the size, weight, etc of your clunker will set the price you get. Could be $500. I guess we will have to wait and see what the final version says, but thats the way im reading the rule. The government wants the gas guzzlers off the road, so as a condition of the rebate, the dealer must destroy the clunkers.
    I don't think that's the way it works. I think you get $3500-4500 for the clunker, plus whatever the salvage value is on the car--since the car must be junked by the dealer. So if the car has a trade-in value of $3000 and salvage value of $500, you get only $500 plus the government cash payment of $3500-4500. That is what I understand anyway. I don't have a clunker to trade in, so I haven't looked at it too closely but did review the Web site for it the other day.
  • cstewart27cstewart27 Member Posts: 23
    We were just at two dealers this past weekend and they can work with the cash for clunkers vouchers now. See the CARS details at the govt site of http://www.cars.gov . Use http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm to find your clunker's combined mpg and the new vehicle's combined mpg. Don't be surprised if you have to point them to the govt website, I did!

If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy that is at least 4, but less than 10, miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $3,500. If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy value that is at least 10 miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $4,500.

The new vehicle must get at least 22 mpg and the old vehicle cannot get more the 18 mpg.
  • ll0923ll0923 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased: 2009
    Paid: 14,998 (so they said)

But really Brad Benson Hyundai Dealership in NJ charged me 18080 without telling me on the papers because of destination charges and taxes and fees, that they said were included in the 14,998 prices.

The dealership is a piece of garbage.
    My car is awesome:
    Elantra SE with leather wrapped steering wheel, electronic stability control, sunroof, and heated seats.

Though, I will say that Brad Benson has ruined my enjoyment of my new purchase. DO NOT GO TO BRAD BENSON IF YOU WANT TO MAINTAIN ANY LOYALTY FOR HYUNDAI
  • bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    OK here is my deal.

Bought a 2008 Elantra SE with premium package 16 months ago for $15.2k (MSRP $18,950ish). Traded it in with 34,000 miles on it for $10,500.

Bought 2009 Elantra SE with premium package and Bluetooth.

MSRP $19,370
    Discount $1,691
    Rebate -$2,000
    Trade $10,500
    Total = $5,179

Tax and fees another $500
    I am curious--why not just add Bluetooth to the 2008 Elantra? It still had lots of warranty left.
  • bob225bob225 Member Posts: 46
    I was only trying to identify the option differences.

I get mileage for work so I already have 16k in the bank just from the mileage on the 08. I prefer a new car for work once a year. I don't need a high mileage vehicle.
    Yeah, I prefer new cars too. Whenever I get that feeling, I go out and give my car a real good wash/wax/interior cleaning. That seems to do the trick. ;)
  • fullblastfullblast Member Posts: 3
    Just thought I would post my experience. Hopefully it will help some of you looking for the best Out the Door price using the Cash for Clunkers program.

I am in Fort Worth, Texas.

Traded in a 1999 Plymoth Voyager Minivan that qualified as 18mpg on the Cash for Clunkers program. Based on the fact that the Elantra got better than a 10mpg improvement, I recieved the full 4500 credit on my trade in. I did look at the Sonata as well, but it was rated at 27mpg, which would have made it only worth 3500 on the program.

Purchased a 2009 Elantra GLS, Auto, Popular Equipment Package for an OTD price of 10,900. For anyone that does not know what OTD means, it is Out the Door, all Taxes, Documentation, Fees, Addons, everything. Most of the Dealers are reluctant to quote OTD prices. I asked 6 dealers for their best OTD price, and spelled out what I wanted and only two did it initially. Two of the six ignored my DO NOT call me request that I made in caps at the very top of my email.

Dealers quoted (after more explanation about what I meant by an OTD price)11,400, 11,300, 11,100 and finally 10,900. One dealer said that they could not match 10,900 when emailed them back that was my best offer so far. (That made me feel good), One of the dealers that never did email, and just called after I had already purchased, said they could have beat that deal. (sour grapes) One of the dealers never did send me an OTD price.

So that was my price That was no money out of pocket, and I even pulled my brand new radio out of the Van at the dealership. It will be ebayed in the next few weeks to pay for tinting. =)

I personally feel like a got a good deal, but who knows, maybe they will crank up even more rebates here in the next few weeks and I will be sorry I got in early. I look forward to seeing what some of you are able to do.

I should point out that only a few of the Hyundai dealerships are participating in the Cash for Clunkers program early. The others are waiting for official rules. I promised the dealer I would come back in and fill out any additional paperwork if needed later. But I am not on the hook for any of the risk at all.

It is worth noting that I visited Ford and Kia and both of them tried to make the argument that you are not really getting the value of your car on the Cash for Clunkers program, they argue that Hyundai is using rebates to cover the cost of the car. Don't you just love being treated like you're and idiot. =)

Oh, and I love the car. That was an unexpected bonus. I just wanted to get a reliable, safe car with great gas milage, but I wound up getting somewhat of a pleasant surprise.
  • juliejean13juliejean13 Member Posts: 2
    So I want an Elantra SE. I live in Buffalo. There are TWO!!!! SE's left in the whole entire area. Apparently the one dealership is supposed to get some in this week.

Has anyone else been met with the problem that they are overstocked on GLS's but not on SE's?
    Thanks for the report. A couple of questions: what did you get for your van (i.e. did you get any additional salvage value for it, or just the $4500), and was sales tax calculated before or after the $4500 was deducted (I realize that may vary by state)? Also if you could itemize for us the costs that would be helpful, e.g. what was the price before the Hyundai rebate, clunker cash, and any salvage value was deducted, and before taxes and fees were applied? Those costs should be itemized on your purchase order. Thanks.
    This seems to be a common problem. I see few SEs in my area also. I think that is because the SE is popular due to its "top choice" rating by Consumer Reports, its standard ESC (not available on the GLS), and its better handling compared to the GLS. Also those 16" 5-spoke alloys look a lot sharper than the GLS' plastic wheel covers. :) And it could be also that Hyundai is shipping relatively few SEs compared to the less-expensive GLSes, thinking (hoping?) if people have a choice between a Sonata GLS or Elantra SE for about the same money, they will take the Sonata.
    There is no double dipping. So you do not get a salvage value in addition to the 4500. I probably could have stripped a bunch of stuff off and still traded it for the same amount.

Sales Tax was after my Clunker Credit. Stuff isnt with me but I believe that the sales tax was around 650 here in TX. The only reason I remember that number is that it can be written off on taxes this year. (Still have a lot to check into reguarding that)

Honestly I probably will not be posting itemization. Everyone is going to be different depending on where you live. Just keep after that OTD price, dont be distracted by anything else they throw at you.

I just hope that in a month, I didnt pay way more than everyone else. =)
    From the official CARS website, it appears that you can negotiate a trade-in/salvage value from the dealer in addition to the CARS cash:

The law requires your trade-in vehicle to be destroyed. Therefore, the value you negotiate with the dealer for your trade-in vehicle is not likely to exceed its scrap value. The law requires the dealer to disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in vehicle.

http://www.cars.gov/index.php/faq#question-12

However, the full details on how trades will be handled are not yet published--should be around July 24.

The reason I asked for an itemization is because of exactly what you said--everyone is going to be different depending on where they live. So it helps to have the info on sales price before taxes and fees, which vary by transaction and location, are added in. Also the rebates each person qualifies for can be different.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Your definition of OTD is meaningless when talking about the price you paid for the car you bought. i.e., if you traded-in a '63 Corvette split window coupe, "your OTD" would have been much less...or you might have been paid to take the new car. OTD should = what you paid for the new car including all dealer fees & taxes.

Hyundai's Sonata rebate is $3,000, while it is $2,000 on the Elantra. There goes your $1,000 cash for clunker difference. If you liked the Elantra better, that's a matter of personal preference and a good choice. However, the cash for clunker program doesn't make economic sense in the instance you cited.
    Good Grief,

I gave all the info that I thought may help someone in there pursuit of a new car on the Cash for Clunkers program.

My definition of OTD is defined. My trade in was for 4500. That was all I put down on the new car. I stated the two options I got on my car, Auto and the Popular Convience Package. Anyone should be able to use that information to get some idea of the kind of deals that are out there.

You know the funny things is, I could not find any solid information when I was looking at the car. I didn't have ot post anything here at all, but I thought it may be helpful to the next person that was looking at getting in on the program early.

Consider it a lesson learned on my part.

I hope everyone else is as happy with the deal they get and the car as I am.

Oh, and the Sonata, does have 3000 cash back, but with that and 3500 from my vehicle the OTD price was about 14500 (I never haggled on this price so it may have gone a bit lower) and that was more than I wanted to spend.
    The thousand dollar difference in the rebate between the Elantra and the Sonata does NOT bring these two vehicles anywhere remotely close on price (comparably equipped models of course). Two entirely different price points and marketed audiences IMHO. Go ahead and price out a GLS auto Sonata and do the same for the Elantra. More to the tune of $2500-$3000 difference.

The mpg for over-the-road commuting is surprisingly close I'll admit for those concerning themselves with future gas prices. I did look at that in my search but the Elantra SE v. Sonata SE became a no brainer when looking at the initial lower cost of the Elantra. That SE they're putting out there is very well equipped with a very reasonable price structure. Totally understand fullblast doing what he did on his GLS purchase.
    Interesting. When I bought my car in May 2009, there was no price difference between the Sonata GLS and the Elantra SE. I was really surprised that I could get a Sonata for the same price as the Elantra SE.
  • osfan810osfan810 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently looking at buying a new Elantra. I would prefer the safety features of the SE (stability control and traction control) - otherwise I would be perfectly content with a GLS. I noticed some out-the-door prices on SE's in this forum seem to be well below what I would expect (and well below the Edmunds TMV - for the model I'm considering, the MSRP is about 18,700 and the TMV around 16,700). I'm in central Pennsylvania, and I'm just curious if anyone in the area (or surrounding area) was able to score a good deal on an SE?
    SE Elantra vs. SE Sonata, two entirely different price points, two entirely different target markets. The GLS Sonata, admittedly a bit lower than the V6 powered SE on the sticker. You could also make the SE Elantra appear more expensive by adding options. I'm saying take a base Elantra GLS and match it up price-wise to the Sonata GLS with SAME equipment packages (or as close as you can). When you'll do this you will see why I think the poster chose the Elantra since it was in "the price range".
    Two things: 1) Sonata SE is available as an I4 also; 2) Elantra GLS is missing key equipment vs. Sonata GLS, esp. ESC and traction control, which is why some buyers compare the Elantra SE to the Sonata GLS.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The main point of my post was the other person's definition of OTD, which was based upon a trade-in or cash for clunker program. Different cars have different trade-in values. For comparative purposes, OTD refers to the price paid for the new car.

The other poster said he chose the Elantra over the Sonata due to the $1K higher "clunker" incentive, not due to the Elantra being $1K less expensive. I merely pointed out that with different rebates on the Elantra & Sonata, the total "incentive" including the "clunker" incentive would be the same for both cars.