Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Oh i know Healey is a ripoff. Prestige is actually a nice place to deal with..pretty low pressure and upscale place, pleasant experience. Though they aren't the cheapest.

And the reason i skipped Suresky is because they're WAY out of my way. I live in Beacon and work just outside of White Plains. :shades: I wasn't even willing to go to Kia of New Windsor more than once. ;) I stay on this side of the river for the most part, 84 to 684.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One question: did you actually offer to buy the car for $12,000, or was it more like a number you were tossing around in discussions with the dealer? If it was an offer, the dealer has accepted your offer and that creates a (verbal) contract. Whether you now want to go back and negotiate further is up to you. If it were me, I would stand by the offer I made. I know there will be some here who disagree.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    ginny, ginny, where art thou? Are you the proud owner of a brand spankin' new Hyundai Elantra yet or are you still rrrraaaaastlin' with those nasty dealers?

Verbal offer backy? Stand on it? Hmmm...I can't count the number of times a dealer has "said" something during negotiations that later turned out to be a slight exaggeration and was therefore null and void. Wasn't worth my time to throw a tizzy when it happened. Just a live and learn, I will NOT return kinda thing.
  • passedpawn22passedpawn22 Member Posts: 5
    hyundai newbie, sounds like you got a great deal. I also purchase my first in July: a 2009 Elantra GLS PZEV, AT, popular equip package (w/o sunroof), floor mats, mud guards, and trunk cargo net.

MSRP: $17,795 (destination incl $695.00)
    Invoice: $17,180

Price: $15,950
    8% tax:$1276.00
    DMV+inspection: $130.50
    Doc fee: $45

Total: $17,401.50
    -cash rebate $2,000

Out-the-Door Total: $15,401.50

My 99 Pontiac Grand Am didn't qualify for the clunker rebate. I thought this was a great deal. I'm in western NY and it was the best price i could get in 3 cities. Last month the TMV was around 15,800 for this car (not including rebates); now it's $16,660! Looks like the market value shot up for the Elantra's. Plus I think Hyundai made a killing with sales in July, especially due to the clunker rebates.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    FWIW, Hyundai has placed rather well on the very popular Cash for Clunkers government give away plan with it's Elantra coming in #6 on the sales charts to date. A testament to how good and practical this particular model is in regards to this program. I'd bet that the Sonata in the midsize dept. and the Santa Fe in the small SUV dept. have got impressive numbers as well. Keep laughing Toyota and Honda but I think this upstart Hyundai is coming on strong and isn't showing signs of slowing down.

Hyundai Elantra = value for the dollar. Sales figures don't lie.
  • zodiac711zodiac711 Member Posts: 18
    Hi --
    I have been quoted the following for a new '09 Elantra GLS A/T with the Popular Equip Package (nothing else -- no mats, etc.). Got them to a starting price of $16,610 (something like invoice minus $500) - $2k rebate - $4.5k (CARS) + $228 TTL =
    OTD price of $10,328.

I'm thinking this is a very solid deal. (Would have actually been driving it right now, but realized was missing some of the insurance paperwork to prove it's been insured for the past-year). Dealer said to come in tomorrow AM and wrap things up.

Just want to run this by folks and confirm it's a solid deal.

Thoughts?
  • joem854joem854 Member Posts: 11
    Getting the Elantra you listed for $16,610 before rebates is an ok price. Unless your destination charge is different than $720, invoice price on the car you described should be $17,004. This means you'll be getting the car for about $400 below invoice. While some people have gotten their Elantra for as much as $1000 or more below invoice, it really depends on your location since in some areas the dealers aren't budging from invoice at all.

If you can, visit or call several other dealerships in your area and see if they'll beat that price. If they won't, you can feel comfortable taking that deal. The immense popularity of cash for clunkers has greatly driven up recent auto sales. This may mean that those $1000+ below invoice deals are a thing of the past now that demand is higher and the dealers aren't finding it necessary to give those hefty discounts to generate sales.
  • browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    Just got an Elantra Touring GL up in here in the Great White North. 21240 CDN out the door including tax (5% to Mr. Harper, 8% to Mr. McG), delivery, and other fees + 0 % financing. We got the Vivid Blue...we figured it was the "youngest" looking color.

It comes with floor mats. Anyone know if the Cargo cover was included. We saw it on the showroom model and a few other ones in the parking lot but it is listed as an accessory. We pick it up on Monday! First time Hyundai owner, I've had a Mazda Protege for 9 years now. This is about the same amount of car for 2 grand less! Only thing extras the Protege has are mags and a sunroof.
    Thanks for the response and advice. I'm in Portland, OR.

I did attempt to solicit some quotes from other dealers in the area, but with little success. (They don't like to communicate via e-mail... I thought that was the whole idea behind an "Internet" sales department.)

Thanks again
  • labwizlabwiz Member Posts: 1
    This is an excellent quote. I paid 10521 OTD with tinting for Elantra AT package 2 in Houston Texas
  • boomnhowerboomnhower Member Posts: 11
    Tonight I was offered 10.7K OTD for a manual GLS with Air/Stereo package and the obligatory mats. They didn't actually have what I want but was willing to get one from a couple states away. Another dealer about an hour away offered 10.5k but a color I don't want. I really wanted 10k but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I am going to sleep on it.
    Are those prices pre- or post- cash for clunkers? If post, they sound rather high... If pre-, that sounds absolutely fantastic.

An update to my adventure...
    I was offered the $10,328 OTD w/o floor mats for the '09 GLS A/T with Popular Equip Package.

After taking another poster's suggestion, I ended up $9,999 OTD w/ floor mats for an '09 GLS A/T with Popular Equip Package. The deal was thru Dan Burke at Ray Reece Hyundai in Portland OR. The experience with Dan was the *best* car buying experience I EVER had. The only con I would have to say about the whole thing is he was tough to get a hold of (I heard him on the phone say he has 10 folks in front of the guy that wanted to buy from him)... But he (thankfully) responded to my e-mail stating I was buying this morning and we went from there.

Is this a "good" price? I thought so. One dealer wouldn't touch the $10,3xx, another dealer simply never responded, and the dealer who offered the $10,3xx was going below what they would for the Costco program (not sure if that's really all it's cracked up to be or not) and didn't respond with a counter-offer.

All-in-all, I felt great about the purchase. It was the best price I could get, and I bought from someone who I would *truly* recommend.
  • 09elantraowner09elantraowner Member Posts: 18
    This was the last GLS Automatic with the package I wanted on the lot as of 9:00am 8/7/09 (there were 4 the previous day @ 1:00 pm...)

Agreed price was $16,250 (GLS with 02/AB pkg - i.e. no sunroof) plus mats and mudgards.
    Invoice on same was $17,136 per Edmunds.

$16250.00 (Agreed price = $303.00 less than Edmunds TMV price)
    + 499.17 (VA State Taxes)
    + 389.00 (Processing fee)
    + 44.50 (Titling etc.)
    --------------
    $17,192.67 subtotal

- 2,000.00 (Rebate)
    - 4,500.00 (C4C)
    ----------------
    $10,692.67 OTD

Could I have done better? Probably "yes" the previous day. The end price represents taking all but about $100 of their hold back and I've yet to see anyone budge on the "processing fee". So, overall I'm happy enough with the deal considering, and am awaiting the card for the $1.49 gas club (which the dealer neglected to mention) BTW - if you do a C4C - don't forget that the dealer is supposed to offer you cash for the scrap value of the vehicle I believe...
    You said:
    - 2,000.00 (Rebate)

Could I have done better? Probably "yes" the previous day. The end price represents taking all but about $100 of their hold back and I've yet to see anyone budge on the "processing fee". So, overall I'm happy enough with the deal considering, and am awaiting the card for the $1.49 gas club (which the dealer neglected to mention)

It's my understanding (reading from Hyundai's website), that it's either a $2,000 rebate, or a $500 rebate + the $1.49 gas program -- not both. On the basis that you got a $2,000 rebate, sorry, but I don't think you're going to get the $1.49 gas.

Please let me know if I am wrong, and best of luck.
    Think you may be right -(sigh)...
  • passedpawn22passedpawn22 Member Posts: 5
    Wow...your taxes are very cheap!! I negotiated $300 less for the car and my OTD was still higher! Less than TMV is always good. Remember though, last month the TMV was around 15,800 for that same car, but yours is a good deal since the value did go up on these cars.
  • vaughanstervaughanster Member Posts: 2
    considering you got such a good deal, going in so well informed of dealer inventory and armed with edmunds tmv price. how could you not know the difference in rebate policies. you also took part in the cash for clunkers program but you are not sure if you are suppose to recieve cash back for the scrap value of vehicle. secondly you took the last elantra off the lot and they gave it to you for less than tmv. that must have been a demo with a bit of mileage on it. i could be wrong but your post seems a bit well dressed.
    41.7 miles on it.
    Dressed or otherwise - it is all the info I could think to post so that others can use it either to see what to NOT do, or TO do.
    If that doesn't meet with your approval - then it doesn't, and I'm sorry but I can't help you further...
    09elantraowner: Doing a quick calc, your price is lower (by about $30) than what I paid here in Portland, OR (and I didn't get the mud guards), and am still happy with my price. The car had 11 miles on it, but 41.7 isn't all that much either.

Not sure what vaughanster's trip is, but would have been nice if he/she had a more thorough comment as opposed to just being a #!%$ about it.
    Thanks for the comment. I was being honest when I said what I really wanted to do was supply info for others to work with. I KNOW I didn't get the best deal to be had (we've already seen that from the posts) - but I'm still happy enough with the deal.

Again just FYI purposes - Edmunds doesn't mention the dealer hold back amount - but Consumer Reports does - it's $294.00 So, you should be looking at subtracting that from the Edmunds invoice amount to get a better idea of what the dealer actually paid, and from the TMV figure for your area to get a better bottom line idea.

BTW - why was it the last one in that trim/option line on the lot? It was BLACK in color - who really wants that in the middle of the summer - not to mention trying to keep it looking clean? If I'd made my deal the day before - I'd have selected silver and probably bargained harder...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kimsdadkimsdad Member Posts: 8
    i have only looked at a couple of post so far and still need to test drive a few compacts. elantra is on my short list fer sure.

Not to be nit picking but OTD (out the door) price should NOT include tax & license. This only confuses the math when someone is wanting to see what you paid for the car. ie. your negotiated price has nothing to do with what your state is going to charge ya....unless you know the gov. really well.

i recently flew from louisiana to kentucky to buy a car for my daughter simple because i was able to save an extra $2k (after flight and hotel expenses) over my best deal at home. The best advise i can give is get the online Consumer Report print-out for the car you want BEFORE you even think about making your offer. With that info in-hand, plus what you read on this forum, you will know the cheapest price. "Knowledge is power" in the car-buying game. The report is called Consumer Report.org "New Car Price Service Report". GURGLE IT. It will give you a complete breakdown of all options and invoice price on each option, and also gives you lots of tips on negotiating. The one I liked, and used to buy my daughther's Acura, was e mailing dealers with an offer. I did this after I got nowhere with my 3 in-state dealers. I sent out 5 offers and got 4 counter offers and 1 in KY that accepted my offer to the letter!. No doc fees, no tire fees, no BS. Got it for a few hundred under invoice price plus discounts of about $3100 in Dealer Incentive and Dealer Holdback. Got to see Louisville and enjoyed the ride home. Point is, do your homework first.... shop hard....be firm but nice....have fun doing it.

If elantra turns out to be the winner, i will be back. Only thing i am concerned with is that supply may be low.....which will make it much harder to negotiate. (Has anyone heard this) I may have to have backup cars to look at. BTW....I am going to look at Corrola, Jeep Patriot, Nisan Sentra, Mazda3, Nissan Versa.

Cheers!
    Not trying to bust your chops, but the out-the-door price SHOULD include tax and license fees. That's kinda what out-the-door price means... it's your total price including everything. That means tag, title, licensing, and all dealer fees. You can view edmunds.com talking about it here:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/strategies/articles/102525/article.html
    His point is, those fees and taxes very so much from area to area (due to different tax and registration laws) that they should be broken out. And it's a very good point too, it could make as much as a $1500 difference in "OTD" price.
    I'm going to have to go the other way on this and support adding all costs to the OTD figure and definition.
    If you show what the TT&L fees are - you're providing the most comprehensive price you can. For instance, in VA there is a "Dealer Processing Fee", but in MD they don't charge one (at least not under that name - and certainly not in that high an amount) which is why a lot of folks from Northern VA will often travel to MD to buy - it can make a few hundred dollars difference. Additionally, the "processing fee" within the state of VA can differ (a little) depending on geographic location which is useful for buyers in that state. Also, including ALL charges encountered in the cost breakout will show what can be expected in charges over and above a "best deal" in case you (or someone else) overlooked something when budgeting for the new vehicle.

Perhaps we could call the pre-TT&L fees figure the "negotiated price", or "sale price".
    The point is, a lot of people just call it "OTD" and don't bother itemizing those costs. Which confuses things.
    Yes, you're right. Regardless of whether someone is posting their OTD or the price of their car before taxes and title, the numbers they give are really only marginally useful if they don't give the breakdown of those numbers. As 09elantraowner stated above not only do taxes and title vary greatly by state, but so do dealer charges. Anyone who has actually purchased a car should have a "Buyers Order" sheet or bill of sale with a complete breakdown of the costs. It should only take about 5-10 minutes to provide the full purchase numbers by copying them from your finished paperwork. Without the true breakdown, there's just too much that you're left guessing at.
  • gaslockergaslocker Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    My name is Gaslocker. I am new to this site, and I just wanted to introduce myself. I work for Hyundai to answer questions and gather feedback about our "Share Your America" Road Trip Sweepstakes, and 1.49 Gaslock campaigns. I know I'm a little late here, but I just want to see if there is any more questions I can help answer, or any feed back anyone would like to share. For more info on our "Share Your America" Sweepstakes, check out
    http://www.roadtripsweepstakes.com
    http://www.Facebook.com/Hyundai

Take care, and thanks
    Just one question: Are you seeing that it's obvious to most people that the Gaslock program is a big rip-off compared to the normal rebates, or are you finding a lot of people going for the Gaslock in lieu of the full rebate?
    It's so obviously a ripoff even dealers are admitting it and advising against it.
    Hello, Gaslocker. I just came across some information from U.S. News and World Report showing that Hyundai is currently offering a $2000 cash back rebate AND the $1.49/gallon gas for a year on top of that. The article was published on August 4. Is this information correct? Here is a link to the article:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Best-Car-Deals/
    The reporter should be fired for gross negligence, or incompetence, or both.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financing/specialoffers/gaslock/offers.aspx
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Backy, what's the problem...I just don't see it from the posted link. Please explain.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Obviously the US News reporter didn't see it either.

It's a $1000 rebate plus the gas deal--OR a $2000 rebate. NOT BOTH a $2000 rebate and the gas deal. The Hyundai web page lays that out pretty clearly, with the $1000 + gas deal prominently displayed, and the ** footnote that explains you can add $1000 to the rebate rather than take the gas money.
    I missed it first time or two through as well. You actually have to click on the Elantra tab (left side) to see what the offer is for that model (for instance - the Sonata IS $2K + Price Lock, or $3K cash back)
  • yrymaomaoyrymaomao Member Posts: 1
    I bought it in DC area.
    Here is my final price.
    $17,765 with invoice of $17,294, sale price 13,898, 959.88 sales tax(6%), $237 tag & title, $100 processing fee, final OTD $15,194.88. -4500 ctc, 10694.88.
    So bad do not they let me to finance to get the 400 student rebate, because my driver license is in OH.
    Yep, you have to click on the "Elantra" tab to see the offer for the Elantra, and Accent tab to see the offer for the Accent, etc. I guess that was beyond the capabilities of the US News reporter. :sick:
    I bought mine last night and drove it home today. I bought an 09 GLS with 5-speed, Popular Equipment Package, Floor mats, and cargo mat. Total sticker with dellivery was $16765.00 (how they ship these things from oversees and truck them to the store for $720 is beyond me.)

I was offered 10.2kOTD for a manual via email. I was driving down there to buy at that price as no other dealers would come close. My local want 10.7 for the same car and wouldn't budge a cent,

So off I went. On my trip I pass another Hyundai dealership so I whip out the blackberry, look up the number, and call them. It is out of manuals but can d an auto at 10.4k, very good deal by any means. $200 for an auto, yeah I'll go for that. Best deal I have heard yet by a long shot. That was all over the phone.

(keep in mind these dealerships are less than ten miles apart so its not like a hour drive between them so they have a lot of interest to keep you from leaving the lot)

So I met with my contact and started looking at cars and told him the price they offered me, and then he did a double take. He hated to but said they would. Then I ask if he has any 5-speeds? He does, one, and it just happened to be in the color I wanted, carbon grey. Then a asked him about how much less money it would be to which he said it was $1000 option. For the time being I just left that alone and took it for a test drive. The streering was a bit heavy but had good power and handled well. The clucth and tranny will take some getting used to though. They work fine, just what I am used to is drastically different.

We get back from the test drive and start swapping clunker paperwork and other stuff to get it verified. We finally got to price and I only spoke in OTD prices. First number he brung was $98500 plus tax,tags, title, and dealer fee. I told him I would take it at that price OTD. He groaned and said give me a minute. He left and came back with $9713.90OTD. Over a hundred less than what I offered, SOLD!

Here is the breakdown as I can decypher it from the paperwork.
    Total MSRP $16,765.00
    Final selling price $15234
    tax $322.02(paid yearly based in vehicle value, I miss OH's pay full value and be down with it)
    C4C $4500
    Manufactures Rebate $2,000
    Finale Vehicle Price $9056.02 :)
    Dealer Admin Fee $588.88
    Tags $69.00
    Final Price OTD $9713.90

Could I have done better? No. No other dealer with 100 miles would come close to this. I wore out my email account getting offers. The closest I got to this was $800 more. If I would have went in I would have got close but not this good. I am one happy camper. :shades:
    Can't beat that! You made a great deal! Where in the US are you located? (just curious about selection and the competitiveness) Enjoy!
  • kruegelkruegel Member Posts: 1
    Got an '09 Elantra Touring - Automatic w/ floormats and i-pod cable for $16,261 + tax/tags/titles/doc.

It ended up being $12,851.99 OTD w/ $4500 Cash for Clunkers.

Really happy with it so far :)
    I live in Rockingham, NC. I bought it in Charlotte. My local dealer wouldn't budge from 10.7k. A thousand bucks was worth the hour drive.
  • billsbuddiebillsbuddie Member Posts: 41
    Edmunds has an article under today's news that indicates that the 2010 Elantra Touring will have a base price of $1800.00 less than this year's model. There was not a lot of information about changes to the car other than the mention of an optional roof rack next year. I missed out on a deal for an 09 by $700 due to the Cash for Clunkers, the dealer would not match the TMV price. Maybe I was lucky since it sounds like the 10s will be cheaper than I was willing to pay for an 09.
    I wonder if Hyundai is going to pull the same trick they do with the Elantra GLS sedan and de-content it, e.g. AC and radio optional? Or if not AC and radio maybe make features like alloys optional.
    They could always go to 15 inch steelies on the base model. Remove XM and Traction/Stability optional too...costs nothing to add, but likewise it costs nothing to remove. They have a ton of other head units (right in the manual no less!) with many fewer features.
    I don't think they'll remove the ESC--it's a good idea on a tallish wagon like the Touring, and it's mandatory in a couple of years anyway. Satellite radio is kind of a Hyundai standard now, so that will probably stay. But steel wheels, less fancy driver's seat, plastic steering wheel, no fog lamps, more basic fabric, stuff like that... I can see pretty easily. More like the GLS sedan in trim level, in other words, but with ESC.
    Which makes me wonder how they're going to differentiate GLS from SE when ESC becomes mandatory. That and the telescoping steering wheel are what make people grab SEs instead of GLSes (honestly, how many GLS models do you think they actually send here without A/C?)

The driver's seat on the Touring isn't actually that fancy. I could see dumping the fogs. Maybe ditch the steering wheel controls too. Without the wrapping that tiller is going to be awfully skinny though.

Maybe they'll start rolling out the 5-speed auto on the SE. That would be a serious differentiation. It would also make me REALLY annoyed that I was stuck without wheels and had to get the 09....
    There's actually quite a difference now between the GLS and SE sedans for 2009, now that different suspension tuning has been added. Also the 16" alloys on the SE, the leather wheel/shifter, trip computer, steering wheel audio controls, plus you get the features that come as options on the GLS on the SE. Maybe for 2010 the SE will get different cloth, as the Touring has now. IMO the telescopic steering column needs to be standard across the lineup. Many competitors do that.

The Touring's driver's seat has an adjustable lumbar support, which is not available on the Elantra sedan (not since 2006 MY anyway). That's why I called it "fancy." IMO the Elantra's driver's seat has taken big steps backwards since 2006, when even on the base sedan it had lumbar adjustment and two (count 'em) height adjusters, which allowed much more control over seating position than the current seat.

I think the entire Elantra lineup needs the 5AT, which is becoming more common on competitors, including the Kia Forte. Also all the Elantras need the modern all-aluminum engines ala the Forte. One thought is to make the 2.4L available on the SE, and the up-level Touring, with the 2.0L on the GLS and maybe the base Touring. That would add serious power compared to the Beta II. Even the new 2.0L has over 150 hp.
    I think the entire Elantra lineup needs the 5AT, which is becoming more common on competitors, including the Kia Forte. Also all the Elantras need the modern all-aluminum engines ala the Forte. One thought is to make the 2.4L available on the SE, and the up-level Touring, with the 2.0L on the GLS and maybe the base Touring. That would add serious power compared to the Beta II. Even the new 2.0L has over 150 hp.

Ill agree with the 5AT, but make that 2.4L an option, not a standard feature of the trim. Personally I think 2L is plenty, and I don't want to take the MPG hit.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Well, the 2.4 in the Sonata gets a combined 25MPG while the 2.0 in the Elantra has a combined of 28MPG. Considering the Sonata is around 600 pounds heavier, stuffing the 2.4 in the Elantra would probably incur a 1 or, at most, 2MPG penalty for almost 40HP more. Some people would take that trade-off.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    We can get an idea of what the new 2.0L and the 2.4L would do EPA-wise in the Elantra from looking at the Forte, which is about the same size as the Elantra. The Forte's EPA ratings are 25/34 for either the 5MT or 4AT on the 2.0, and 27/36 with the 5AT and the "fuel economy package". The 2.4L gets 22/32 with the 6MT, the only tranny available with the 2.4L. Interestingly, that is exactly the same EPA rating as the Sonata gets with the 2.4L and 5AT (it gets 21/32 with the 5MT).

So depending on driving style and pattern, and the drivetrain, it could be anywhere from a 2 mpg to 5 mpg difference between the 2.0 and 2.4, or around 10-20%. While you get more power with the 2.4L, the current Elantra engine is plenty peppy for me, so I expect the new 2.0L with over 150 hp would be just fine power-wise. If I want power, I could get a Sonata V6 or Genesis coupe or something like that. ;)