Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First, this is a pretty rare car. A search for 2007 Elantras within 500 miles of the Twin Cities (which includes Chicago and KC) with less than 30k miles and no more than $10k found ONE--and it was a stick shift SE and no options, for $9995 in rural Indiana. SEs are pretty rare in general--a lot more GLSes out there, and those don't have the desirable ESC (or bun warmers for that matter). KBB for the car you are looking at in the Twin Cities is $13,300 retail in excellent condition. KBB trade-in value for Excellent condition is $9050. So the dealer's original offer wasn't out of line, although it was on the high side (as they usually are). I think $10k is a very good price for that car. If the buyer can get them down to $8500, they should grab it and run--run very fast.

Waiting until the next-gen Elantra comes out will affect prices on the new Elantras on lots--not as much on used ones. And as I said, SEs are very rare. Although the 2011/2012 Elantras will likely have ESC standard across the board, so maybe not as important to get the SE then.
  • smesusmesu Member Posts: 7
    NHTSA mandates that 95% of vehicles must have ESC by 2011 and all by 2012. Since this will be on every Accent (etc) on up, it will have an effect on the resale value of any non ESC car, similar to what non airbag cars had seen. It is also estimated to reduce fatalities by as much as 56%. Pretty strong argument to make sure the car you purchase now and plan on driving for the next 3+++ years is so equipped. It also deserves mention that Hyundai's famous 10/100,000 warranty is for the original owner and not transferable, depending on purchase date an 07 will have between 1 and 2 years of the 5/60,000.
    Paying $10,000 for what is probably a 4 year old econo car goes against the grain. Dealers are paying no way near book unless they build it into your lease or purchase and asking price is really selling price. You should have seen what I was ASKING for my house in '06, could have bought a small island.
    A 2007 Elantra is at most a little over 3 years old, not 4. And the SE has ESC, so I'm not sure why you brought up ESC except to point out that it makes a 2007 SE even more valuable. As for warranty, yes, when you by a used car you give up some things such as the full factory warranty. But if this car is at a Hyundai dealer, it might be eligible for the Hyundai extended warranty, which will restore the 10 year/100k powertrain warranty.

As I said, if someone can buy a loaded 2007 Elantra SE with under 25k miles from a dealer for $8500, they should run fast before the dealer calls the police and reports a theft. If you have purchased such a car for such a price in the recent past, please tell us all how you did it.
  • zodiac711zodiac711 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, a large(r) down payment offsets the need for gap coverage. But, lets take a worst-case scenario..

You buy a brand new car... put a big down payment on it. A week later, you're in a bad car accident and it's totalted. The insurance company covers what you owe (as you put a big down payment on it). That's good and all, but it's not like the insurance company is going to also give you your big down payment back.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like you got a good deal. I just bought a 2010 Elantra GLS with sunroof, carpeted floor mats and mudguards for $16,251 out the door including doc fees, destination charge, new plates, 6.25% sales tax, etc. I got price from internet sales manager on line and went in to buy the car. No hassles, no gimmicks. Beat other dealers in the area by at least $1000. I am very pleased with this deal.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Your price doesn't sound bad either, local Hyundai dealers here want $16,600 for that package but our market is highly inflated compared to other areas.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I'd take my chances with the larger down payment. For one, you can buy auto insurance that will replace a car with brand new in the first year of ownership. For another, the odds odds of getting into such an accident are slim. Also, with a larger down payment you not only save $ by avoiding gap insurance you save money by paying less interest on the loan. Your monthly payments will be smaller as well. And your credit position pre-purchase will be better as you've demonstrated the ability & fiscal responsibility to save up that large down payment.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • zodiac711zodiac711 Member Posts: 18
    You make a compelling case... For certain folks. For others, I still believe going the route of low (or ideally no) down payment and a long-term loan might be the way to go.

* Interest rate car is financed at. (If you could get 0%, there's NO reason to put any more than necessary to get 0% on your downpayment)
    * How much gap coverage costs
    * How much insurance option to get a brand new replacement car within a year costs (assuming your current auto insurance even offers it as an option)
    * Rate of depreciation of vehicle
  • consumerwiseconsumerwise Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2010
    Not sure if this belongs in here since we are talking insurance now. However, we always buy a policy that gives "replacement" value on cars as well as "replacement vehicle" option. We totaled a vehicle many years ago and were young and nieve and didn't know about the replacement vehicle policy - the check they wrote would not cover the car we totaled (less than a year old). We could have insisted the insurance company give us a vehicle with comprable miles, make/model which would have been smart - but when you are in your 20's - you usually cash the check and do not read the complete policy. Now, when we shop around for insurance, we always say, "replacement vehicle/replacement value" on everything including our home-ownership insurance.
    Shop around, knowledge is power. Dealers are dealing for market share and a person with a ready checkbook is always in charge. Don't be mislead by "buy owner" asking price or even "book" price. Here is a holiday sale emailed to me from my dealer. It lists a new 2009 for $10,199. Most probably a stick but its not 3 1/2 years old.

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS Internet Price Start from $10,199
    MSRP: $16,725.00
    Stock Number: 9E9894
    VIN: KMHDU46D89U609894
    Exterior Color: Silver
    http://www.wpbhyundai.com/online-specials/new-vehicle-specials.jsp
  • cindiw1cindiw1 Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2010
    I can't be sure, but when we were looking for a Hyundai (new), we saw the ads for dirt cheap Elantras, etc., then when we got to the showroom they explained those were "blue" specials, in other words, no air conditioning, no heater, no power nothing. It was ridiculous.
    Plus, I am good at negotiating. I learned over the years. I used to sell pianos, and I know from experience that the salesman has some leeway in setting the price. You can ask: "Can't you go any lower?" Some salespeople feel pressured to go lower, in one way or another. They might throw in some perks you don't have to pay for, etc. In my case, I kept bargaining. I didn't really want a new car, but my husband kept telling me it would be better to get a new car, so I did go and annoy the salesmen at the Hyundai dealership, even going so far as to bargain with him. Finally the manager got annoyed with me, I took it so low that even the manager told me "no." But that was all right with me, I didn't want to buy a new car anyway. I finally got a good deal with a Toyota that had less than 40,000 miles on it, it was a 2004-5, but hey, who's counting now? I paid $8,000 for it and my mechanic/friend said it was a good buy. I believed him. I found it in a local ad, it was listed for $8,900, I wanted to pay $7,000, the man said he wouldn't take less than $8,000 and we settled on that. oh well.
  • jhordiejhordie Member Posts: 1
    I don't know a lot of things about cars. I just got my '99 Elantra. Body and parts are the same as how it was bought back in 1999. What can I add up to my car to make it look cooler without spending too much? Any estimates of the costs I'd be having? Thank you guys!
  • chrisandlydchrisandlyd Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 08 elantra with 15,000 miles on it for about $9900. Has anyone ever had this added later? How much did it cost? I think this car is the GLS.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,747
    edited February 2010
    Hello!

We have a whole list of Elantra-related discussions. This one mainly focuses on the price of new models.

Peruse these discussions, and find one that fits! Hyundai Elantra discussions

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wallmanwallman Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2010 Elantra SE, with Premium Package, iPod cable, floor mats, and mud guards from Fairfax Hyundai in Fairfax, VA.

OTD Price: $15,608 (after $1,500 rebate and before Tax and Tags)
    Invoice: $19,051 (including Dest.)
    MSRP: $19,930

I used Zag.com through American Express, dealt with the Internet Sales Manager over phone/email for a couple questions, and then went in and picked up the car. Buying process was very pleasant, no gimmicks or games from the sales staff or the Finance guy (I did have my own financing from my CU going in). I would highly recommend this dealership! :)
    Bravo... yours is an example on how to purchase a car. Whether live or online you have to do your homework, know what you want, what you're willing to pay and have the financing in your pocket. The whole process is quite simple and can be fun (from a guy who has bought or leased over a dozen new vehicles) knowing that the guy with the checkbook is in charge of the deal, not the salesman or dealership brass.
    Also the SE is the way to go considering the safety,handling, and interior upgrades, it is well worth the added cost.
    Although I usually don't agree with premium add-ons on an econo car, the price you received seems pretty strong given the current rebate. Good deal, best of luck with your new ride.
    BTW- OTD means out the door, that includes all taxes, fees and usually a full tank of gas.
    edited March 2010
    I agree with you on the premium upgrade, but sunroof was big for WAF, so we got that. Here's a full break down on the OTD price:

$16,719 Price
    $ 389 Processing (I did not feel like fighting over this, but possibly could have)
    $ 548 Tax
    $ 63 Tags
    $ (1,500) Rebate

$16,219 Total OTD
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    Please help, what do you guys think of a 2009 Elantra SE with 5k miles for $14,844. There is no BT, sunroof, nav, but the car is in perfect shape. Thoughts? They are being generous with my trade in also, offering $4500 for a 2003 civic hybrid with 103k on it.
    You didn't say whether it's an AT or not, but in general this is a rare car--just 3 of them within 500 miles of the Twin Cities, for example (includes several large cities including Chicago) with less than 10k miles. All the prices are right around $14,900, and KBB is over $1000 more, so they are in the ballpark. But their trade offer for your Civic is only OK; KBB for Good condition is $4800 in my area. Also you are losing the powertrain warranty beyond 5 years.

You could try to work them down some, or if they won't budge much see if they will do the Hyundai Certified warranty on the car. That brings the warranty back to 10 years and makes it transferrable (I think), plus gives 10 years of roadside assistance. You can get a new 2010 Sonata these days for close to $15k, so relatively speaking $15k for a used Elantra SE isn't that great a deal.
    edited March 2010
    In Northern Virginia, where I just bought an Elantra, I'm guessing you could get a new 2010 SE for not much more than your used price. With the 1,500 rebate that is currently in effect, you can find a new SEs for around $15,000 before tax and tags.
  • bbyrd2bbyrd2 Member Posts: 2
    We have opportunity to buy a USED 2009 Elantra SE with 7,900 miles from a local dealer. There are no other added packages so it has power everything AC automatic with cloth seats and alloy wheels.

Seems the dealer will not go lower than 13,999 + taxes and tags. There are different ways to figure this and I would like your thoughts on True Market Value figure?
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    It is an AT, I went ahead and didn't get it. I sold my HCH on craigslist for $5250 and I'm going to get a Fit Sport with a little more mileage for the same price ($15k). I lose the ESC and the sirius/xm ready radio, but I gain some headroom and my wifes approval. Thoughts?
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    FWIW, we've got the same exact car you are looking at with 17,500 trouble free miles thus far ('09 SE auto) bought new and commutin' the heck out of it. Read, LOVE THIS CAR so in my opinion you are wise to be considering it in your used car search. That said, not so sure that price is a very good one. We bought ours for basically $15,400 brand new OTD, taxes, tags everything (had the $4500 Cash for Clunker steal going on so I remember writing the check for $10.9k and change. my trade was probably worth about fifty bucks btw but Uncle Sap gave me a couple G's. Thanks guys!). So where this dealer gets off reducing the price 9% or so on a "preveiously owned" car, not sure. Me thinks the discount oughtta be somewhat larger. Again, take it all FWIW. JMHO.
  • 4elantra4elantra Member Posts: 10
    purchased 2009 Elantra OTD $15,000. in June 09. See old posts.

Anybody ever have problem with referral fees? Garbage salesman keeps saying its on the way, but never takes care of it. Of course there isn't nothing in writing, just a verbal, worth nothing. So consumer beware, get it in writing.
    Well, the wife's opinion is important! FWIW, did you check out the Elantra Touring? It's more similar to the Fit (small wagon), has TONS of room (limo-like legroom in back for example and a big cargo area), and has standard ESC and traction control. Good headroom also. The GLS trim starts around $16k list and I saw a new one advertised this past weekend at a local dealer for just under $15k, and that was before negotiations, so it would be in the same ballpark price-wise as the used Fit--but the Touring would be a new 2010 with full warranty. Just a thought.
  • bbyrd2bbyrd2 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I agree with you, 13999 + tag + taxes does not excite me. I did ask if the 13999 was OTD. They said they could'nt do it for that because it is about what they have in it. I bet not. I would still consider this car if OTD at 13,999 because the car is at Hyundai dealer and less than 5 miles from us. Very few used SE models in our area at the moment. They will either sell it to someone else or be calling soon.

If I lived in the state of VA I where I could buy new in the 15.5k range i probably would go new.
  • ssc1ssc1 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Price before Tax & Title. 31k Miles. Minneapolis twincities area. Am I getting a fair deal?
    Did you get them to list everything you are being charged for? Keep in mind that the dealership wants to get rid of the car and has some room to negotiate, probably. I really hear the Hyundai is a good car. If there are dealership fees or administrative charges, see if they are willing to negotiate on these. what happened to me is that I lowballed the car they were offering me to the point the manager refused. I really didn't want to buy a new car but if I were to buy one, I'd definitely buy a Hyandai and not worry much about a few hundred dollars here or there. I suggest you ask for a reduction in their administrative fees and see what happens. sometimes they can, sometimes they can't, but you can't hurt by trying. Here's how you do it: Tell the finance guy you'll pay $12,500. He'll say no, it's impossible. Tell him you like the car, but need the price lowered, how about $12,9k? He might say no again. Say, "Look, let's both be happy. How about $13K? He might say no again but you can't lose for trying, can you? Maybe they're willing to throw in extra's for free, like leather seats or a longer term of Sirius or something like that.
    It seems high, based on 2009 GLSes with moonroof within 100 miles of the Twin Cities. Is it a Hyundai Certified car? Check online pricing in the area, and use the lower prices for leverage if you are really set on that particular car. There's quite a few of these around the area, and 31k is high for a 2009 (probably a rental).

If you can live with something other than an Elantra... there's 2009 Sonatas around (even a few 2010s) with that kind of miles for the same or even less money. So if you could go with a Sonata, you might check that out. The 2009 Optima is a nice car also, and will cost you much less than $13.4k.
    They are saying it's their "Fair Value Pricing" and it is very competetive to the market. Should I ask for any further breakup? What are the typical heads under which should I expect them to break it up?

Thanks
    S
    No it is not a certified car.

I am kind of specific about the model. What price do you think is a reasobale offer back to them? Any specific sites that I should check the price for?

Yes, it was a rental.
    Check cars.com, and/or autotrader.com (available through Edmunds.com). Then print off some of the listings with better pricing and show them to the dealer.
    Depending on situation, rentals are a bit harder to negotiate with if you're going through a rental car sales agency. They MIGHT take off $100, but usually are hard to the line pricing. Check out similar models with other rental sales agency websites and/or Edmunds.com or kbb.com. I think it's kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book)
    edited April 2010
    Dealer is quoting $15791 plus Tax, Title & Plates. Price already includes Destination charges, Mat, Wind deflector & mudguard.

Also, should I get leather upholstery done on this car for another $1200?

Thanks
    ssc
  • collegecar2collegecar2 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2010 Elantra SE from Herb Chambers Hyundai in Auburn Mass. Only options were floor mats, mud guards and ipod cable. MSRP was 18780.

Out the doow price was 16776.00

That price included the 1500 rebate, 6.25% sales tax, and all title/registration and dealer doc fees.

Another dealer was 200.00 cheaper, but didn't have the color I wanted. Six other dealers in the area would not match the price.
  • sean8499sean8499 Member Posts: 9
    Hi All.
    As a new arrival, the archive of posts on this board has been very helpful. I am planning on buying my first elantra - leaning towards a 2010 GLS sunroof package with ipod cable and mudguards. Was not planning on any add ins, but some online reviews highly recommend the sunroof. Color will likely be black. Truecar.com calculates an average price of $15.8k (plus TTL) with these features. Anyone think I can do better? Also, is it better to line up financing in advance? Would much rather handle that through the dealer unless there are clear advantages.
    forgot to mention i live in Long Island, NY.
  • blebnevusblebnevus Member Posts: 13
    I'm in Massachusetts, collecting dealers' prices for a 2010 Elantra GLS - automatic but otherwise without any special options. (I do, however, want a car manufactured after 12/09 because Hyundai redesigned it then to improve side-impact safety.) Based on what I've seen on the web, a dealer should be able to make a profit selling me the car for $14,500 (including all fees) + tax and title. Best price I've been able to get by phone or e-mail is $14.7K but the dealer has been saying for a week and a half that he's waiting for the newer cars. Other counteroffers start at $15K and go up from there. Any sense of whether these guys would meet my price if I showed up with a checkbook?
    Purchased my 2010 GLS from Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. Total OTD cost was $15.7k (which includes NYS tax). No add ons included but they did donate the ipod cable. None of the local dealers in NY came close to that price.

One screw up on my part was that I misplaced the spare key on the day after purchase. The FOB is 95430-3K202 (osloka - 310t). I really feel more comfortable with a spare. The dealership quoted me $200. However ebay lists them at a range of $10-$15. It would cost an extra $40 to have it programmed at the lealership. None of the listings suggest that this FCC code will work on a 2010 elantra. Is it unusual that my FCC code is normally associated with older Hyundai models?
  • mcribmcrib Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone tried doing the Costco deal on the Elantra and see what the prices are? People were getting good deals on the Genesis with the Costco program and I wonder how low they will go :P on Elantras...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2010/05/deal-of-the-week-hyundai-special-pri- cing-through-costco.html
  • tannortannor Member Posts: 7
    I was looking at getting a 2010 GLS with no extras, their MSRP price was $17,810

they offered me 15,461, plus taxes which in NY OTD was 17,179

I noticed on hyundai website they have a $1500 rebate. How does getting a rebate work? Do i get that directly form hyundai after purchasing the car? Or did dealer include that in price?

to me 15,461 does not seem that good of a price if that includes rebate.

What do you think?
    The dealer should have told you--or you should have asked them--what rebates if any were included in their price quote. In general, whenever you get a price quote on a car, ask for a breakdown on all discounts, rebates, taxes, fees, value of trade etc.

With a rebate, it's your choice to receive the rebate money or have it applied to the purchase price. I would be surprised if the dealer's offer did not include the rebate. I agree that it was not a great price, including the rebate.
    Thanks for all the info.

Out of curiosity do you know what is a good price?

If i go back to them and try to negotiate what should I offer and say lowest I go?

I am really not sure
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    Try this site...
    http://cars.overstock.com/configurator.html?makeId=2235&modelId=438&upfrontPrici- ng=Y

you might not be able to get that low ($13220), but $14000 before tax and tags seems doable...
    edited June 2010
    I have seen similar cars advertised in my area (Twin Cities) for around $14,500 (which btw is the best price the Overstock site shows for my area). But NYC is a different market. One unknown is what kind of manufacturer-to-dealer incentives are available, which allow the dealer to sell the car under invoice and still make a profit. There's also the dealer holdback to consider.

One thought is, Fitzmall (use the obvious url, or google them) has several 2010 Elantra GLSes with MSRP at $17.8k for $14k Internet price, in Gaithersburg, MD. That is including any general rebate but w/o tax/title/license. You could use that price with your dealer to negotiate, as a bottom-line price, and see how close they can come. You might also figure your cost to get down to Gaithersburg to buy the car and drive it back. If your dealer can get close enough to Fitzmall's price + your travel costs, you can buy the car locally. If they can't, you might consider taking the trip to Gaithersburg. Or at least, you can let your dealer know you are willing to do that. ;)
    edited June 2010
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I just put in my zip code and overstock came up with $14,806

the same dealer i was going to buy my car from
  • gsoto7777gsoto7777 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell if this is a good deal because im only 17 and this will be my first car if i decide to get it?? The guy says that it still runs. His original price was $2000 but i told him that i wouldnt go any higher than $1400.

How many miles is usually expected from a 2000 hyundai elantra as well??
  • jazztpt216jazztpt216 Member Posts: 5
    124k miles means the guy drove about 12k per year which is considered average. Private party value for an Elantra in good condition is $1970 according to kbb.com, and in fair condition is $1445.
    Try Towne Hyundai in Denville NJ. One month ago, I purchased a 2010 GLS for 13.9k plus tax and tags. My total OTD was approximately 15.6k. Basically they matched the Fitzmall in Maryland
  • gizmo64gizmo64 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone recently bought a 2010 Elantra GLS with a MSRP of 17500 in the NC area. This included floor mats, ipod cable, and rear cargo mat. It seems like dealers were only going down to about 14100. Would 13500 plus tax and tags seem like a decent price? :confuse: