Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• antcocciaantcoccia Member Posts: 1
    gizmo,

In your region there is currently $1,500 in Rebates plus $1,000 Rebate if you finance with Hyundai Motor Financial. Plus there is $750 Dealer Cash. So...

$17,500
    - 2,500 Rebates
    - 750 Dlr Cash

$14,250 Bottom Line. Then there is probably another $700 between mark-up and holdback.

I would suggest if you can buy the car for $14,000 or better to take the deal. The dealership has to make a small profit, which is only fair.

Good luck and congrats!
  • jblahjblah Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the greater DC area and two dealers gave me some hard to believe out the door price. One gave me $13,500 another gave me $13,990 today. I'm going to go check them out and see if it is really too good to be true or if they are telling the truth. It feels like there is something fishy but both of them are reputable dealers.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Two words: Alexandria Hyundai. Nuff said.
    are they good or bad?
  • jugheads65jugheads65 Member Posts: 1
    CarCash buys new and used cars, they also provide free online quotes to find out the value of your car.

The service is free and can be done online using live chat, instant quote or on the phone, The CarCash agents are allays happy to speak with customers about there cars.

They will offer you a price for the car and if you are happy you can even sell your car to them on the spot for cash.

The URL is www.carcash.com
    Well I just got back from the dealer with my new Elantra. they honored their quote of 13,500 OTD price with 3.9% for 60 month. They only gave me a problem with my trade in. I looked at the other dealers they were selling for around 14000 OTD so I figured I had about 500 to work with on the trade in. They gave me 200 below "fair" price from bluebook but I guess overall I had 300 plus in price to begin with. Thoughts?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What equipment does this Elantra have?
    just the standard stuff. pwr door/windows/ipod connection/security. it was the GLS model.
  • kingdomsakingdomsa Member Posts: 14
    $13500 including TTL sounds like a great deal. To help me with the base car cost, what was the price before TTL? And what dealer was this at? I'm interested.
  • neil1115neil1115 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am looking to by this car this week and so far the best deal I have found is 14,900 out the door for a GLS with automatic trans. Is this a good deal or can I do better?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Personally, I think you can beat this one.

van
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Just bought a 2008 Elantra GLS (automatic) with standard options for $11,969 plus TT&L (mileage 12,393). Not a great deal but local Hyundai dealers don't really bargain much on price.
    edited July 2010
    this was at alexandria hyundai in virginia I'm not sure what the base car cost was. initially they sent me a base cost of 12.8k but then the part-owner of the dealership send me a quick follow up e-mail saying the OTD cost is 13,500 for automatic GLS including everything since i had asked for the OTD price. the finance people set up the price to match. i can try to find it when i go home after this afternoon if you are still interested.
  • thisis1thisis1 Member Posts: 5
    2010 Elantra 2010 SE
    Carpeted floor mats, no other additional options.

MSRP: $18,660

Price:
    - $14,009
    - administrative fee $399
    - tags: $69
    - 3% tax

OTD price: $14,936
    (includes the $1500 cashback and $1000 bonus for financing)

Is this a good deal?
    Thanks for your feedback.
    IMO $14k for an SE before tax and fees is a real good deal. Automatic, yes?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• thisis1thisis1 Member Posts: 5
    Bought the car today.

Final details: 2010 Elantra SE, automatic, floor mats and no other added options
    MSRP: $18660
    Invoice: $18059

-$1500 cashback
    -$1000 bonus cash for financing through Hyundai
    -$400 college grad
    -$XXXX dealer told me he passed on to me the dealer cash and invoice reserve and is taking a little loss (I don't completely believe that)

Price = $13609
    + $399 administrative fee + 3% tax + $69 tag

OTD = $14572

happy with the car. I think the price is good too.
    I used Overstock to get 3 price bids, then negotiated down from there.

thanks for everyone who contributed to his forum. very helpful information indeed.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    I think that is a great deal. Congrats!
  • betsy1230betsy1230 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought this car today:

2010 Elantra GLS PZEV automatic w/ MSRP $17489
    Dealership is installing an aftermarket sunroof for $900
    OTD price was $14,199

Really love this car!!
  • hot4hyundaihot4hyundai Member Posts: 7
    Hey, a couple of things. How did you get both $1,500 cash back + the additional offer of 3.9 and $1,000 cash back--thought they couldn't be combined?

Also, what is the 'overstock' website you visited? I would like to employ your strategy because the dealer I'm currently working with is way too high and didn't even mention the incentives until I asked. According to him the 'invoice' for a new 2010 Elantra SE w/ sunroof (this is before any tax or rebates) is $19,100.

Forgive me but I'm new with buying, so any info is greatly appreciated. I plan to take advantage of the $1,500 cash back and then finance on my own at 4.9 % (unless I can combine the $1500 cb with the 3.9% + 1,000 cb offer).

I would like to get a GLS or SE out the door for around 15 or so like many of you. Does the dealership normally give you a better deal if you buy 'out the door' or if you finance through them? Again, any advice for a newbie buyer would be greatly appreciated.
    I emailed the internet department of every Hyundai dealership within a 40 mile radius and asked them for their best "out the door" (OTD) price. I took the lowest price, which happened to be the closest dealership. I wanted a GLS with a sunroof but they couldn't find one, so they said they would have it installed. Their original price quote of $14,399 included the installation of the roof (at $1100). One of the other quotes I recieved said they would install the roof for their cost of $857, so when I was negotiating my price I got the dealership to reduce the selling price by $200, giving me the car for $14,199. Be sure you negotiate an "out the door" price and get it in writing or email before you even set foot on the lot. My dealership tried to add on the doc fee on top of the negotiated price, but I was adamant about my quote including all fees and charges (except tax, title and reg). They had to eat the $248 doc fee. It was fun to watch, actually! Good luck with your search!! (I'm in Massachusetts, sometimes region affects price).
  • elantra08elantra08 Member Posts: 15
    Yes, you can combine the 3.9% and $2,500 cash back. You will be able to get a better deal on the GLS than the SE. For the GLS, i would shoot for well under 14K OTD (idk about your state tax and tags), which is realistic . Expect to pay more for the SE. i would personaly look for an SE cause it is the nice model, i have one. 2,500 cash back is the most i have ever seen so now would be a good time to buy. Dealers have boat loads of elantras on the lots b/c people dont want compacts cause gas is cheaper. Shop around with internet sales people and take the best deal. Be persistent and tell them what you will pay. These cars will depreciate very quickly so dont pay too much. Good luck!
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for your reply. Must be a regional thing, down here in South Florida, seems some dealers won't budge. (A few dealers didn't bother even responding to an offer of 16,200 for a GLS before rebates). Further north (Florida) I got the best offer of 13,900 for GLS with a few accessories (mats, cargo net, ipod connector) which is still not as low as others in different states on this forum.

Anyway, I used that quote and called a closer dealer to see if they could match or better it. She (yes, sharks can be either gender, lol) said it was a 'strong quote' and she would do her best and admitted they need to get their cars off the lot before the month's end.
    They didn't have my color and I made clear I wouldn't be paying delivery fees and she said 'of course not, sir'. Of course I am prepared to read the contract with a fine comb as I know they will try to build their loss in profit back into the contract, hidden.
    I set up an appt and will email her to fax or email me a potential invoice including all fees as you advised before I arrive. If she cannot get it to me I will still go but will be firm once I see the contract and wont let my emotions do the buying eventhough I am excited.

Wish me luck! I'll post how it goes. Thanks for all the solid advice. If I don't get my way (a good deal) by the time the rebates expire, I'm thinking of buying a used Honda Accord. Would really like to give Hyundai the chance though!
  • shmoopy618shmoopy618 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Betsy1230, I'm down in South Florida as well trying to get a good deal on a SE, preferrably. Which (north) dealership did you a quote from to use in negotiating with dealers down here? Thanks!
    Hi...I was negotiating on a GLS (had a sunroof installed after mkt.) so I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples. I used Route 44 Hyundai in Raynham, MA among others, but they gave me the best quote.
    Update:

Well, I fought hard and so far the best I can get out of a South Florida dealer is $14,500 for an Elantra 2010 Auto GLS. That's after setting up an appt and then cancelling once I discovered the $13999 quote was before a $980 documentation fee.
    After fighting with the sales rep she said 'I will work with you on that but I need you in at the dealership'. We'll I didn't go and my phone was ringing off the hook and I knew I had the advantage. lol She then agreed to go 50/50 so that dropped the brought the figure (13999 + 980 down $450) or about $14500 before taxes. Maybe I can get the rest dropped, maybe not. That's the best offer thus far without having to drive upstate.
    Sucks, which I was getting the under 14k deals you guys are getting outside of Florida, so far it's been a struggle.
    If anyone in Miami or South Florida knows a dealership that might compromise, I'm all ears. Another dealer told me that they have trouble keeping Elantras and Sonatas around (and indeed I have had trouble finding gray or white). Ugh. Ah well, going to keep trying. I see the $1500 rebate is offered until 09/30/10. And the 3.9 + $1000 c/b could possibly be extended I was told. Hope I get a good deal just in case the rebates lessen after 08/02/10.
    Apparently the redesigned Elantra will be here this fall. That means you could potentially get a great close-em-out deal on remaining 2010 Elantras. The problem is, supply seems to be tight in your area, so no telling how many old Elantras will be around come fall. If you are willing to drive a bit, and wait to buy, you could use this to your advantage.
    Good point, Backy. Only thing is that I may need to buy a car soon as my wife has to relocate to another city for her job. This will effectively end the car pooling we have saved money on for the past 3 years. So I'm kind of stuck to buy by the end of August. :cry: I may have to take the GLS for 14.5k which isn't a bad deal, just not as sweet as others purport. We'll see.
    Otherwise, I guess I could get a good deal on a used 2007-2009 Elantra? ;)
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    What your price on the Elantra before the sunroof, taxes, and fees ? OTD prices are of little value when each state/dealership costs vary. Sounds like you got a great price.
    $13299 w/o the sunroof on the GLS with an MSRP of $16895. This price includes the destination fee which is $720 (kinda steep, so make sure it's included in your negotiated price!). Out the door prices are invaluable because each state and dealership have different charges and fees. An 'out the door' price typically includes all dealer fees and charges, but excludes tax, title and registration (because these are state imposed and not up for negotiation.) Good luck with your car shopping...fun, isn't it??
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    Awesome price. Great job.
    You could get a used Elantra, but IMO the 2010 is worth it because of the better crash protection for cars made after December 2009, plus there were some nice trim updates made for 2010. And you get the full warranty. And no questions about what kind of care and maintenance the car had. And if you haven't noticed, the prices of used cars including the Elantra have shot up lately.
    Thanks for your reply Backy. Have looked at used Elantras (2007-2009) and indeed they don't seem that much cheaper to the newer ones! Didn't realize they shot up but that makes sense since they are pricey for being used.

I'm going to probably buy one tomorrow, I have an appt. It's not a killer deal but decent considering the demand is apparently high and supply short here in South Florida. The best deal I got was 14450 before TTL for a 2010 GLS Auto with a few perks- carpet mats, cargo net, etc. I'm going to take it since it's so hard to find a nordic white or carbon gray around here for a decent price without traveling a few hours upstate. Of course, I'll try and weasel a little more out of it.

Spoke with the dealer and we must of BSed for 1/2 hour about everything but the deal. lol He was very friendly and agreed to the price match (+another $250 off).
    Can't wait but I will remember that it's business, I'm not there to be his friend, but to get a good car at a fair price. I have all the weapons in my arsenal and will make sure they try no tricks when it comes to the contract (the excellent credit will help with financing, too). Wish me luck!
  • denvercykodenvercyko Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2009 GLS with factory sunroof, 28,000 miles for $10,988. After reading the new car prices on the 2010's, I'm sorry I didn't check the blogs first. But, we're happy. Great shopping people.
  • dmxrobdmxrob Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys, I am finally thinking about buying a new car -- and have fell in love with the Hyundai Elantra GLS because of its fuel efficiency and features. What type of price should I be offering for this below the sticker? Right now the MSRP I think is sitting at 18,600. Where should I start?

Any advice appreciated!

Robert
    Hi Robert,
    Just bought the GLS PZEV with an after market sunroof for $14199. The MSRP on my car was 17,110 plus $900 for the roof (they couldn't find one with a factory roof).
    That's about $2000 below invoice, I think. Make sure you negotiate an 'out the door' price so you won't be subjected to additional charges and fees! I love my Elantra!!

Betsy
  • dmxrobdmxrob Member Posts: 4
    Betsy -

How are you guys getting these low prices? I say the word "sun roof" and the price just jumps through the roof. Perhaps I need to sharpen up my negotiating skills. I'm in Mid-Missouri, with two Hyundia dealers 23 miles apart.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I just priced an Elantra GLS and Elantra SE using a St Louis Zip Code at TrueCar.com and here's what I found-

Elantra GLS w/ Sunroof Pkg 3 - MSRP- $18,515, Lowest Certified Price- $15,300

Elantra SE w/ Prem Pkg 4 (Sunroof & heated seats) - MSRP- $19,715, Lowest Certified Price- $16,266

The "Lowest Certified Price" is actually a real offer from a Certified Dealer. The dealer for both of the prices shown above is located 18 miles from St Louis (it shows the distance from your zip code, but doesn't give you the dealer's name until you request an OTD Quote for the vehicle)....go to TrueCar.com and check it out..it may do all of the haggling for you!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • zooropeanzooropean Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I noticed some of the prices here and am not getting close out the door. Was just offered $16,073 on an automatic GLS.

How do I get a better deal? I am in IL.

Thank you!
    If you haven't tried the dealerships in larger cities e.g. Chicago, you should. Get quotes from them, and use it as leverage with your local dealer. If your dealer won't budge, it could be worth your time to buy from the remote dealer. You can always have the car serviced at your local dealer.
  • smesusmesu Member Posts: 7
    Internet pricing is the way to go but realize that the current Elantra
    design is expiring and is being replaced within the next few months with a
    completely restyled car both in and out (Google- Elantra 2011) It will have
    a 1.6 or 2.0 engine with better fuel mileage, a 6 speed, and of course *all
    should* have ESC (since it's mandated for all 2012's). I bought an SE auto
    with mats, mud flaps and trunk liner last July (and have less then 3,000
    mi.) for $14,500 + fees (less $4,500 CFC=$10,000.) although a good deal at
    the time I don't think it would be wise to pay that at this point. If you
    can wait, the prudent move would be to see if your budget can handle the
    2011, since your resale will be much stronger in addition to having a better
    and more technologically advanced car. Although waiting is based on your
    needs and a bit of a gamble you should at least get some very aggressive
    pricing on the remaining 2010's. Good things come to those who wait...
    PS. IMHO-- Since it's the end of the model run, if purchasing a 2010 only an
    SE should be considered, due to better handling and most important ESC, in
    addition to being a more desirable car to sell since in a few years used
    cars without ESC will be a hard sell to the buyer of used econo cars,
    parents of young teens.
  • zooropeanzooropean Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone for the messages.

I have a GLS down to $14,895 OTD.

Other dealers are starting to play games and say that is not a real quote and won't match it.

I wish I could wait, but my wife and I are sharing a car, so I can't wait for a newer version.

I would love a SE, but not sure where I could get that OTD price down to.

I have emailed a Chicago dealer (versus the suburban ones) to see what they will do.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Bought Elantra gls auto aug 31 msrp 17,700. After 1500 rebate, 1000 hyundai finance rebate (financed minimum of 7500 @3.9% for 60 mo -- can pay off after 1st mo with no penalty). Paid cash of 7360 for balance.

13840 including doc,tag and title
    $1020 ham co. Ohio tax

$14860 otd

Salesman called with a no bull offer of 13840 last day of the month after emailing 6 dealers this week. They were the lowest and test drive, forms, finance application, temp tag and drove the car home in less than 3 hrs. Dismissed "come on in we'll talk" without quotes forthcoming from several dealers.

Like the car, warranty and dealership. Randy the salesman was good at Superior Honda Fairfield. Can't say things will be straightforward always as things seem to go smoother when a particular dealer wants (or needs) to move a car(s) end of month.
  • nvashoppernvashopper Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased my new Elantra GLS this weekend for $13,900 OTD, including everything -- doc fees, taxes, and registration. This worked out to about $12,940 for the car + freight after $1,500 rebate and $1,000 financing incentive. Might have been able to go a little lower but ran out of time for further negotiations as I needed to purchase the car by the end of the weekend.
  • astonvillaastonvilla Member Posts: 3
    Folks I'm planning to buy a new 2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS automatic. The best quote I got is 14700 out of door. is this a good deal considering that NJ has higher tax compared to say virginia or MD. Thanks
    How much higher is the tax? Do you know what the price breakdown is for the car, freight, and other items?
    talked to the dealer over the phone and he gave me out of door price of 14700, he didnt give me a breakdown of the price. but I did some research and tax in NJ is 7 % while in Virginia/DC area it is 3% I think I should talk them down to around 14300 or so isnt it. any thoughts?
    Tax in VA is 3.2%, but is charged on the car price before rebates and on the processing fee, In my case, it came to around $506. According to my calculations, 7% tax on the same transaction would be about $600 more, meaning that $14,500 for you would be equivalent to the deal that I got. Hope you can do better than that -- good luck!
    thanks a lot for your response. I'm sealing the deal this weekend.hoping to get it done between 14300-14700..thanks again
  • kingdomsakingdomsa Member Posts: 14
    Just bought a manual Elantra Blue in VA for $11,400 including all fees and the $2500 incentives - not including TTL. Nice car and nice price - Used the overstock site. GLS's can be had for $12,500 with both incentives.